PDA

View Full Version : Plasma/LCD

shot571
May 15th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Well my dad finally decided to get a new TV. However we're not sure whether to get plasma or LCD. We want a 50+". He says hes willing to spend £800 but will go to £1000.We want one for the main living room so it wont be used too much. Maybe 5 hours so i was wondering will that keep the burn thing happening on the LCD? Trying to get one with loads of features. Good make as well.Good quality picture. Basically i want to know if we should get a plasma or lcd what make you reccomend. and if the burn thing still happens with plasmas.

Thank you

(If something doesnt make sense its cos im up late 2:30)

Yusshin
May 15th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Something in their make-up makes them different and better for certain things. Generally:

Plasma for action movies.
LCD for video games.

Which is your priority?

I recommend LCD screens; I find their quality better. I compared Plasma and LCD at FutureShop and the Source, and LCD always has a better image.

Samsung or Sony for a brand, btw.

twocows
May 15th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Burn-in only happens on plasmas, and it does still happen. Basically, it's when your screen shows remnants of things that were on it for extended periods, like channel logos. This does not happen with LCDs. The only downside I can think of with LCDs is that the contrast isn't as good; the blacks aren't pure blacks, so the dark parts won't look as dark.

Sneeze
May 16th, 2010, 02:23 PM
http://www.shoeboxblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/plasma-vs-lcd-458x500.jpg

But seriously, I have no idea. I can't even remember what my TV, LCD I think. It's a good set though, serves me well. :3

donavannj
May 16th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I am fairly certain LCD's are also drastically cheaper, too.

I don't know whether all of these brands are in the UK or not, but I know these have quality:
Westinghouse
Philips
Toshiba
Sony
Samsung
GE

shot571
May 17th, 2010, 09:02 AM
seems most people say LCD. i might ask him to spend a bit more money and just buy an LCD. (I want one with usb slots and maybe use it as a pc monitor thing as well)

linkinpark187
May 18th, 2010, 11:41 AM
That would mean getting a computer monitor, then. The USB ports you see on TV's are used as service ports, and to use them for anything else instantly voids your warranty. But...I'm going to agree with many others and say LCD. I actually have a nice 42" Element TV (never heard of them before, but thought I'd give them a shot), and I've been extremely happy with it so far. And the contrast ratio doesn't appear to be that bad, either. Not on this one, at least. The black actually comes out black.

Rich Boy Rob
May 18th, 2010, 12:12 PM
That would mean getting a computer monitor, then. The USB ports you see on TV's are used as service ports, and to use them for anything else instantly voids your warranty. But...I'm going to agree with many others and say LCD. I actually have a nice 42" Element TV (never heard of them before, but thought I'd give them a shot), and I've been extremely happy with it so far. And the contrast ratio doesn't appear to be that bad, either. Not on this one, at least. The black actually comes out black.

Not necessarily. My TV for example has a slot that I assume means it can be plugged into a computer, it looks like this would plug into it:
http://www.elgobay.com/shop/cart/images/7003217cv1a.jpg
Also most modern computers can be plugged in via HDMI cable, which most modern TVs support.

linkinpark187
May 18th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Oh, no, don't misread me. lol I know about the VGA and HDMI ports as I have my HTPC hooked up through the TV via HDMI. I was talking about the USB port, though. There's not really anything you can do with it as it's only use is for when the manufacturer does any kind of work with the TV. But they'll tell you right in you owner's manual (as I have also have a 26" Vizio TV with a USB port) that hooking anything into the USB port will void your warranty.

TRIFORCE89
May 18th, 2010, 05:16 PM
It really doesn't matter. Read reviews, compare brands, set a price point for yourself.

Plasma has a "truer" black level, but if you properly calibrate your set the difference should be negligible. With LED (rather than LCD) such differences are rendered even smaller.

Personally, I like Sony. I'd go Sony or Samsung, LCD or LED.

Alistair
May 18th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Burn-in only happens on plasmas, and it does still happen. Basically, it's when your screen shows remnants of things that were on it for extended periods, like channel logos. This does not happen with LCDs. The only downside I can think of with LCDs is that the contrast isn't as good; the blacks aren't pure blacks, so the dark parts won't look as dark.

Image burn-in occurs in all displays, even CRTs and LCDs. The amount of time it takes to burn in an image is just drastically different. Plasmas usually have a much faster burn-in rate than LCDs, which is why you don't really hear it being too much of a problem.

But aside from the contrast ratio difference and the obvious price difference, plasma's also offer a much better viewing angle than LCDs.

But really, I would say save a few bucks and go with an LCD.

TRIFORCE89
May 18th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I never really understood the viewing angle argument. I mean.... I sit on my couch and the TV is directly in front of me. I'm not trying to watch it from some obscure corner of the room :\

Yusshin
May 18th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I never really understood the viewing angle argument. I mean.... I sit on my couch and the TV is directly in front of me. I'm not trying to watch it from some obscure corner of the room :\

I do that :< I like lying on the floor and looking at stuff upsidedown.

LCD > Plasma, though.

twocows
May 18th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Image burn-in occurs in all displays, even CRTs and LCDs. The amount of time it takes to burn in an image is just drastically different. Plasmas usually have a much faster burn-in rate than LCDs, which is why you don't really hear it being too much of a problem.
To the point of being not worthy of mentioning. I have yet to have a CRT or LCD display experience burn-in, and some of them (CRTs, at least) have been in my family upwards of 20 years.

Alistair
May 20th, 2010, 04:45 AM
I have 2 CRTs, both with severe burn-in, and they're barely 10 years old. While true, I bought them at an auction, I still feel that burn-in should be mentioned, regardless of what type of display. My DS also experienced temporary burn-in because I accidentally left it open while in the GTS.