PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] Your opinions on the 3-D aspects of the game.

.EJ
May 15th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I personally love the way this series is going. Adding these kind of effects was brilliant. So..what do you guys think?

Agent Clank
May 15th, 2010, 05:47 PM
I love the New 3D aspects.
There Amazing!

Patchisou Yutohru
May 15th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I think its silly for anyone to hate them. Sure, I don't like the camera angles included in the very first video that was posted on Pokémon Sunday with that awkward angle, but anyone who hates them seems to be holding onto something that doesn't need holding on to. 3D graphics are something so little DS games have and they're such an improvement on the graphics from previous generations and bring justice to the fact that the characters look bulgy from Generation IV.

I agree with you, .EJ, the graphics are brilliant!

Samme!
May 15th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I personally think that introduction of the all new 3-D elements is definitely going to make the game playing experience a step higher from what we were used to. From what videos and pictures we've seen so far, it looks as if in some areas you get to see everything in a more panoramic view point (Protagonist walking in Hiun City) while in other areas you get a closer, more zoomed in view of your trainer and the surrounding areas (When the protagonist is walking down the street in Hiun). Although things look very pixelated at times, I feel that it's just going to bring the game to life even more compared to the four generations we've sat through with a bird's eye view. So as of now, I think I can say that I'm liking the new 3-D aspects, although it's going to be interesting to see how it gets broken down further once new videos/images are released.

Air Lock
May 15th, 2010, 05:51 PM
It looks good so far....
Can't wait! :D

Zorua
May 15th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I only have one word for this part of the game: Revolutionary.

Pokemon is now going through evolution and is going through a new age starting with Black and White. It's something that would blow the minds of old and new Pokemon fans alike.

But all in all, I'm left speechless. It's too amazing. D:

Guy
May 15th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Considering these games will be playable through the DS systems, if they hadn't upgraded the graphics to 3D like it is now, then it'll still give fans the feel that they are playing through Fourth Generation again, but just somewhere new. In some areas the 3D graphics implemented seem a little "odd" by camera angle, but no way near are they close to being terrible. It's this step that pushes the games and makes this generation another step up from all other past generations. I mean looking back at just the Fourth Generation to this, it's like a whole new game on a whole new system, but it isn't. So, I can definitely agree and say that the 3D aspects of Black and White have really improved these games alone from traveling through cities to the battle scenes.

If you want to go way back and compare RBGY to what we have here, then by all means, Pokémon has taken a gigantic leap and has definitely restarted the franchise once more.

Griffinbane
May 15th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Is it confirmed that it will be playable on all the DS systems? Judging by the spiffy 3D aspects, I'd have to say it's likelier that it'd be designed for the upcoming 3DS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS), and I'm not sure if anything designed for the 3DS will be compatible for the DS predecessors.

Alternative
May 15th, 2010, 06:45 PM
From what I've seen of the 3D aspects so fr, I wouldn't say I hate it, but I'm not a big fan of it either. I think when the 3D aspects of Diamond and Pearl were new, that they were fantstic. I just think that the 3D spects for this game are a bit OTT.

Kirbychu
May 15th, 2010, 06:48 PM
The 3-D effects are great, my only beef is with the OW sprites. They just look completely out of place now. I think it's time to upgrade those as well. <_>

Tyrantrum
May 15th, 2010, 06:52 PM
They've really improved since D/P/Pt. I love the 3D effects. You can finally see almost all sides of a building. Especially when you're walking left in Hiun/Huin/whateverthefudge City's Harbor and the angle of the camera turns while walking.

allBlue
May 15th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Gameplay footages, battle scenes at about 1:15.

nFDwx6X44pk

.EJ
May 15th, 2010, 07:02 PM
It has been confirmed for the Nintendo DS (which is why there has been some complaints that the new games are not designed for the Nintendo 3DS.)

Griffinbane
May 15th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Oh good. That means I can continue to crash my GPA update myself on the new Pokenews without needing to shell out any more than 40 bucks. In that case, huge thumbs up from me!

Waffle-San
May 15th, 2010, 07:25 PM
I only have one word for this part of the game: Revolutionary.

Pokemon is now going through evolution and is going through a new age starting with Black and White. It's something that would blow the minds of old and new Pokemon fans alike.

But all in all, I'm left speechless. It's too amazing. D:

Exactly.

When I first heard that the games were to be 3D I was little concerned. I mean I love the HGSS graphics and with 3D everywhere I have to say I didn't really understand. I don't care if a movie is 2D or 3D especially when I have to pay more (which I was also worried about with these games.) But now that I've actually seen the game play, I don't have a worry in the world. They've done things I didn't know the DS could do and it looks stunning. I only have praise.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
May 15th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Why are threads discussing the diffrent aspects of BW popping up everywhere... we could disscusse this in the speculation thread or make a single tread discussing the aspects, the place the games are based one, ect.

Kirbychu
May 15th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Why are threads discussing the diffrent aspects of BW popping up everywhere... we could disscusse this in the speculation thread or make a single tread discussing the aspects, the place the games are based one, ect.
That would be a complete mess. This keeps things nice and organized, plus we won't have people randomly popping in and reposting information.

GlitchCity
May 15th, 2010, 09:03 PM
That would be a complete mess. This keeps things nice and organized, plus we won't have people randomly popping in and reposting information.
Agreed, this kinda popped up overnight lol.

Personally I love the 3D features. It shows us that Nintendo is pretty serious of improving on their games. I wonder what kind of 3D cut scenes they will do in the games.

Kirbychu
May 15th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I wonder what kind of 3D cut scenes they will do in the games.
Almost forgot about these. We probably will get more stuff like Ho-oh and Lugia's encounters in HGSS.

.EJ
May 15th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I loved those in HG/SS. When I first saw Lugia and Ho-Oh in action, I was super excited.

I expect something like that in Black/White since the 3-D is improved.

lx_theo
May 15th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Perfect move to evolve the Pokemon series. Simple as that.

loliwin
May 15th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I always knew that they needed to really improve the graphical powers in Pokemon games, and this game looks absolutely amazing, so far. XD They've really advanced in graphics havent they? :)

And Im also glad they got animated sprites then doing it all in 3D. It'd be another Pokemon XD: Gale Of Darkness. :(

jon328
May 15th, 2010, 09:25 PM
i say its about tim they did this. in fact i was sort of hoping they did this for HGSS but guess not. but im glad its like this now. its very very awesome :D
and the new battle scenes are amazing:D

EmeraldSerenade
May 15th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Its quite interesting... Its a new step in the right direction for Pokemon ^^
I just hope the effects aren't too crazy, haha.

The battle game play looks fantastic.

Mr.Crowley
May 15th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I don't know about 3d overworlds, I'm old school and I like my adventures flat, and 2d. But the battling is too awesome... They've given every Pokemon idle animations and expanded the battle screen for attack sequences at least 5 inches, giving the battle feel a more exciting outlook. I wonder what else they've got in store for us... :P

Massai
May 15th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Loving it, my only concern is it looks like a lack of your lead poke following you - it's honestly my favorite thing about HG/SS - maybe they can still work it in, if not, there's always Gray? Give them time to work out the 3D poke following.

VirtualBlock
May 16th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Hm... I admit they actually improve it alot. Oh snap!!! Maybe it were the OW Sprites that made me choose "Hate 'em"!!
Oh.. I guess if they made the sprites more in place it would look pretty good... ><

Vrai
May 16th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Awesome graphics are awesome.

I think that each generation can really be defined by the change in graphics, and B&W is no exception.

humanguy2000
May 16th, 2010, 08:18 AM
When I first saw the Black & White screenshots, I thought it looked really odd.... But yesterday, I looked at the screenies again and they look really good! ...But the overworlds just remove the 3d feeling. It would've been good if they used the 3d view from HG/SS that can be accessed through cheating.

Shorty-
May 16th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I think its great that they are moving forward with the graphics and all (improvement is better than nothing at all). I just wish the Sprites were 3d as well. ^^

Barney.
May 16th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I really don't care..As long as the gameplay stays the same and we get new pokemon, I'm fine.

Rich Boy Rob
May 16th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I think its great that they are moving forward with the graphics and all (improvement is better than nothing at all). I just wish the Sprites were 3d as well. ^^

This is my view on the subject. Like I said in the OW thread, I am a huge fan of the 3d look. My gripe is that the OW characters just look a bit too out of place being 2d.

Lexxy
May 16th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I love how there is a city aspect to the game now, like New York or Chicago.

Hopefully all the cities are like this and you start out in a big city and now some small town.

chikorita125
May 16th, 2010, 09:08 AM
the 3D improvments of the game i like since Diamond and pearl,

JAK3
May 16th, 2010, 09:10 AM
At first I didn't like the look of it, but now, I'm very amazed, and will definitely make the game different from others! I like the camera angles now, that was the part I didn't like about it. I'm sure it will be something worth waiting for.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
May 16th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I like the graphics and like the fact that they are pushing a old handheld's potential more rather than make a new one and not push the new one's capacity plus it means we get to save money due to us not having to buy a new handheld!.

Ayselipera
May 16th, 2010, 12:20 PM
For me it will just take some getting used to. After years of having a semi aerial view of everything it will be a little weird looking at the game from a new perspective. I'm not saying that's bad though I just need to start looking at it more and more until it looks natural. Overall my hopes are more on the Pokemon then the graphics.

.ιиsσмиιαc.
May 16th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I hate them. They could have done a much better job with it, or maybe everything is still a BETA.

war rock exe
May 16th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Who cares!? There's new Pokemon!!

TheAppleFreak
May 16th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I'm a bit mixed. While I'm excited about the games, and the 3D is absolutely beautiful, I feel that the complete 3D might be going a little too far away from the old style of games that I grew up on. At least we keep the movement grid...

Cherrim
May 17th, 2010, 06:12 AM
I liked the 3D in DPPt. It was tasteful--you might not even notice it if you didn't look closely and that's what I liked about it. It gave depth to the game but wasn't distracting.

I don't... like what I've seen of the 3D in BW though. D: It's all you notice in every screen and I hate the warped sprites and the camera angle and ick. ;_; I'm hoping it'll look better as you actually play but I thought that initial video that came out showing the protag walking in a circle around the buildings was ugly. :/ I guess we'll see but I'm very wary of the 3D. It won't affect my purchase decision but I hope it won't end up affecting my final opinion of the game.

_Prince_
May 17th, 2010, 06:37 AM
I really hate how gamefreak is bluffing you all, in fact they are merely using the same game engine as HG/SS, with only the camera angle changed and blocks more suited to that angle position.

If you don't believe, let’s try rotating HG/SS camera angles to see what effects we get :)

http://pokemon-project.com/userfiles/muybajo.png

http://pokemon-project.com/userfiles/3d%20normal.png

By the way this is how I play my Soul Silver sometimes, merely by adjusting the camera position ;)

A Pixy
May 17th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I don't see what's wrong with some eye-candy.

LordDarkrai
May 17th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I like it so far and I'm very interested to see the final version of this.

Nicktheant
May 17th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I think they are pretty cool...

Omicron
May 17th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Simply amazing. Can't believe we'll need to wait so much for it to be released :(

MistahDude
May 17th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I personally love the way this series is going. Adding these kind of effects was brilliant. So..what do you guys think?

I also like that not everything is 3D. I noticed that the rural towns are slightly 3D but not much, and the cities were mostly 3D so that they could seem a lot bigger.

BleuVII
May 17th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I really hate how gamefreak is bluffing you all, in fact they are merely using the same game engine as HG/SS, with only the camera angle changed and blocks more suited to that angle position.

If you don't believe, let’s try rotating HG/SS camera angles to see what effects we get :)

http://pokemon-project.com/userfiles/muybajo.png

http://pokemon-project.com/userfiles/3d%20normal.png

By the way this is how I play my Soul Silver sometimes, merely by adjusting the camera position ;)

Ok, HOW DO YOU DO THAT?! I totally want to rotate the camera on my SS.

Vrai
May 17th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Ok, HOW DO YOU DO THAT?! I totally want to rotate the camera on my SS.

Cheatin', man. Go buy an AR or something. :3

Trainer Galza
May 17th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Im looking foward to a kind of pokemon game you can both play on DS and Wii in 3d.. I wouldn't say we're too far off. Definetly a step in the right direction. I'm really happy to see that your mans are animated even when they're not doing anything in combat.

... an MMO aspect would be fun too, but I'm not certain how they'd pull it off without radically changing the whole system.

pokemongarnet
May 18th, 2010, 05:04 PM
I think it could get really confusing to move in some places.

roccomont329
May 18th, 2010, 05:08 PM
i dont know how i feel about it, to me it could be the same graphics as red and i would be happy

StrickeN
May 18th, 2010, 05:15 PM
It's definately to me great. Most people hold onto the flat aspects of gaming because it's classic. However, in my honest opinion, keeping things with this gives nonew breath to gaming and makes classics lose their value as theyare just another replica of the original.

It's one reason people hate on the 3d Zelda platforms, they cling to muchon side scrollers like Link's Awakening. (i do love side scrollers) but only when it's used in the classics. New games should have these upped qualities which give us soemthing new and interesting to hope for. Which is why I love gaming. It is forever changing.

Sora's Nobody
May 18th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Is it confirmed that it will be playable on all the DS systems? Judging by the spiffy 3D aspects, I'd have to say it's likelier that it'd be designed for the upcoming 3DS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS), and I'm not sure if anything designed for the 3DS will be compatible for the DS predecessors.I'm a 100-million% sure thats its for the regular ds. I dont have the picture cause im on vacation, but in the scanns it shows that the pics where on the ds XL!

A Pixy
May 18th, 2010, 05:38 PM
WAIT A MINUTE.

I just realized something.

Camera!

We should be able to control it. If they aren't bringing back the Poketch, then preferably using the touch screen.

Eeohnex
May 18th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Can't wait for Black and White, loving the improvements of the game play, I'm so lucky I'm gonna be able to play them on my XL.

PiPVoda
May 23rd, 2010, 06:25 PM
They're pretty awesome. Love how the buildings actually have shadows now and are a heck lot taller. From the videos released already with the animated battles the pokemon seem to be going away from 2D sprites to animated 3D and it's beautiful.

Fli
May 23rd, 2010, 07:07 PM
Meh...

^That is really all I can say (and yes, I did use the word 'meh' - I've started using it... a lot...). I'm going to wait for more videos before saying thumbs up or thumbs down. I disliked (I want to say hated, but the graphics are growing on me a little) the video of the girl walking around the city with the humongous buildings; it felt awkward and disproportional to me. On the other hand, I really liked the boy walking down the street with people moving out of the way; it was a new view, but it worked. Now, I've also always been a fan of the overhead view, but that's just me. So... as I said before... meh.

Hiroshi Sotomura
May 23rd, 2010, 08:41 PM
I'm actually a little disappointed that they haven't utilised more camera elements. I mean sure, the city looks awesome, and there's a few areas that utilise different angles, but what about general routes?

Also, the game seems to use bidirectional movement again. Where's my diagonal movement? :x

myrrh25
May 24th, 2010, 12:38 AM
I liked the 3D-ish graphics of DPPt more than the pure 3D of BW just now, the camera angles look quite choppy in some places, and shouldn't the trainer be 3D by now, instead of always looking at the camera?

GameFreak stick with what you know until you can make the trainer look away from the camera :(

Ryden
May 24th, 2010, 12:41 AM
too say the least, it should make things interesting. but I rather with hold a full judgement untill I see more of how much its going to effect gameplay and such.

Meegz0
May 24th, 2010, 01:04 AM
The 3D elements to the games are fantastic! I also love how they kept their pixel feel to it though, even with the 3dness.
Altho, hell.
If they made a full 3D game that had the actual plot(notPBR) I'd be all over that :3

Volroc
May 24th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Alright we all love the good old 2D of gen1-3 and the 2.5D of gen4
but now we have the 3D in gen5...

who likes it?
who hates it?
whos going to miss the 2D?
whos wary bout the 3D?
which is better 2D or 3D?
are you glad 2D is gone?
do you want 2D to stay?
do you hope 2D aspects will stay?
or do you want the entire thing 3D?

you get the idea, this is basically your opinion on 2D vs the new 3D
(not to be confused with the thread bout the 3D)
Please give good reasons to your dislikes/likes, exc.
--------------------
My Opinion:
I love the 2D, im gonna miss it, especially the 2.5D in gen4, that was my fav. it had the right amount of 3D that doesnt go over board, while it kept the good old classic feel to the franchise we loved in gen1&2.
Im wary bout the new 3D cuz i play the yugioh 5Ds world championship games, and their 3D graphics SUCK; its over pixelated, blocky, and the sprites look horrible, and id hate to see that happen to pokemon.
im gonna be honest and say i wish WC would use gen4 graphics instead or the graphics from the pokemon ranger series, it would be far better.
but from what ive seen on pokemon sunday(mind you this is the BETA we are seein), i think it looks great, and i have high hopes for this new 3D aspect.

Haza
May 24th, 2010, 01:30 AM
It doesn't really matter as long as the general concept is the same.

Ryden
May 24th, 2010, 01:34 AM
As I've said before in different words, its honestly too soon for me to really say if this change will be good or bad, it simply seem interesting right now.

My only concern that comes to mind about it right now is: What if they put too much into trying to make the game 3D and it end up making for a shorter game and smaller world to explore? That would be disappointing and not a trade off I'd like.

ThePinkDragon
May 24th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Looks gorgeous. Can't wait to see it in action. :)

PiPVoda
May 24th, 2010, 06:32 AM
2D really wasn't that bad. RSE and FR/LG did a pretty good job with it. DPPt appeared to have some 2D still present, like 2D spirtes in battle, and it handled it pretty well too. I think that Gen 4 was like the bridge between 2D and 3D and now with b&w we will be fully expanding everything to 3D. It may look kind of weird or unrecognizable at first, remembered when I first got Pearl I was shocked by the graphics, but still awesome. IMHO, b&w should be on the 3DS instead of the DS. I think making it on the DS would hamper some of the effects in the game, and how will it be compatible with pokemon games that come out later on in the gen but are on the 3DS? Bad move by Nintendo, but mehhh I guess I'll just have to deal with it.

Myles
May 24th, 2010, 06:35 AM
I like the look of it now. But really, we need to wait and see to make a proper assessment. Although I don't think it's as 3D as you think. While I call Gen IV 3D, if you were to call it 2.5D, this is probably going to be 2.75D.

Esmas
May 24th, 2010, 07:31 AM
It doesn't matter. As long as Pokémon lives.

JakeyBoy
May 24th, 2010, 07:46 AM
>Implying Gen 4 is 2.5D (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2.5D)
There is no situation where something that is 2D is made to look 3D as far as I can tell. I suppose in a way it is because when sprites are at a distance they change size to make it look like a change in distance. Meh, might look into that a bit more. Anyway, It's the same as in Gen 4 from the looks of it, and while I didn't mind it then, the camera angles kind of ruin it in Gen 5. Looks a bit shoddy.

Aureol
May 24th, 2010, 07:46 AM
I don't know, Pokemon is meant to be a 2D game. Let's look at Sonic: the 2D games were great, but the 3D games... well, weren't (this isn't nostalgia factor: go check various reviews if you doubt me). While I'm open to the idea of 3D games, I'm just afraid that Pokemon will lose it's feel as a good-ol' 2D RPG. Well, the battle system is relatively 2D, so we've still got that.

Lanturnista
May 24th, 2010, 08:02 AM
I think both are great, but I'm not sure I'd want a Pokémon game to be 100% 3D, at least not yet. The battle scenes, anyway. It's nice to have sprites to edit, and the main series games are simply not Stadium/Colosseum/XD/Battle Revolution.

Sage Harpuia
May 24th, 2010, 08:32 AM
The 3D looks perfect to me, even if I also like 2D.

I don't know, Pokemon is meant to be a 2D game. Let's look at Sonic: the 2D games were great, but the 3D games... well, weren't (this isn't nostalgia factor: go check various reviews if you doubt me).

Well, you can't judge the passage from 2D to 3D by a game developed by Sonic team that, sadly, wasn't able to do a good game in all this time.
If you want a positive example, look at final fantasy IV for DS and compare it to the original final fantasy IV: like pokemon the old one has its charm, but the new one is just awesome.

Bluerang1
May 24th, 2010, 08:58 AM
The 3D puts you in the game. Which is why I like it :)

Hypno
May 24th, 2010, 09:08 AM
I kinda wanted to keep it 2D for most of the part but when the battle scene started to switch to like Pokemon Stadium graphics, but oh well.

Mortalis
May 24th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Actually, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum and HG/SS are all 3D except for the characters, the characters are 2.5D

They used a rendering system for the buildings, rooms, objects, etc. If you use an emulator, you can see that everything is completely 3D using a hack that allows you to move the camera around, but going back to not hacking and looking at the full 3D of the game in black and white;

Personally, I think they over did the 3D and by doing so, made everything look a little plain ... The sky in the distance looks pretty plain except for the bridge ... but yes. Over done.

JAK3
May 24th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I love both! 3D is a change and should be exciting, but 2D is the graphic design I grew up with and obviously will always be a good one.

Angelroid
May 24th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't mind the games, Being all in 3D but then again the 3DS is coming out in 2011/2012.

Mew396
May 24th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I'll miss the old 2-d but the 3-d is taking Pokemon to a new level and I think it'll enhance gameplay. It might take me a while to get used to though.

Kirbychu
May 24th, 2010, 03:30 PM
I'll need some time to adapt to BW before I make final judgment. I prefer RSEFRLG to DPPt though.

Guy
May 24th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Honestly, I couldn't be more thrilled for the 3D graphics than I am now. From what I can tell, it seems GameFreak has really taken that step up from the 2D and 2.5D, and given a whole new look to Pokémon. I don't see what they do as a bad thing, but more so making this generation completely superior to the others as far as graphics go. I can't actually give my full opinion on it, for reasons that I haven't experienced it myself as yet. However, I am pleased to know that GameFreak is beginning to climb the ladder and make Pokémon more advanced in various new ways.

I liked the 2D and 2.5D graphics in the 4th Generation. Hey, even the graphics for the 3rd Generation were really well done, and when I pictured Pokémon being played through a 3D game, it was hard to visualize. It didn't look right, but seeing what they've done now puts a whole new twist to that idea. I'll miss the 4th Gen graphics to an extent, but if I miss it so much, then nothing stops me from picking up DPPt or HG/SS and playing them again. I can say for myself though, that I'm excited to play through the Isshu Region and see how everything looks in the world of Pokémon through a new look.

Volroc
May 24th, 2010, 03:50 PM
It doesn't really matter as long as the general concept is the same.

i completely agree ^_^

It doesn't matter. As long as Pokémon lives.

true :3

I don't know, Pokemon is meant to be a 2D game. Let's look at Sonic: the 2D games were great, but the 3D games... well, weren't (this isn't nostalgia factor: go check various reviews if you doubt me). While I'm open to the idea of 3D games, I'm just afraid that Pokemon will lose it's feel as a good-ol' 2D RPG. Well, the battle system is relatively 2D, so we've still got that.

ya i know how ya feel, id like it to stay like D/P/Pt that was brilliant :3

Actually, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum and HG/SS are all 3D except for the characters, the characters are 2.5D

They used a rendering system for the buildings, rooms, objects, etc. If you use an emulator, you can see that everything is completely 3D using a hack that allows you to move the camera around, but going back to not hacking and looking at the full 3D of the game in black and white;

Personally, I think they over did the 3D and by doing so, made everything look a little plain ... The sky in the distance looks pretty plain except for the bridge ... but yes. Over done.

im not good with all that technical mumbo jumbo lol, i tend to simplify it ^^"

ya over done, i see that now..... -_-"

I love both! 3D is a change and should be exciting, but 2D is the graphic design I grew up with and obviously will always be a good one.

indeed

Honestly, I couldn't be more thrilled for the 3D graphics than I am now. From what I can tell, it seems GameFreak has really taken that step up from the 2D and 2.5D, and given a whole new look to Pokémon. I don't see what they do as a bad thing, but more so making this generation completely superior to the others as far as graphics go. I can't actually give my full opinion on it, for reasons that I haven't experienced it myself as yet. However, I am pleased to know that GameFreak is beginning to climb the ladder and make Pokémon more advanced in various new ways.

I liked the 2D and 2.5D graphics in the 4th Generation. Hey, even the graphics for the 3rd Generation were really well done, and when I pictured Pokémon being played through a 3D game, it was hard to visualize. It didn't look right, but seeing what they've done now puts a whole new twist to that idea. I'll miss the 4th Gen graphics to an extent, but if I miss it so much, then nothing stops me from picking up DPPt or HG/SS and playing them again. I can say for myself though, that I'm excited to play through the Isshu Region and see how everything looks in the world of Pokémon through a new look.

same here mate ^_^

wow so many comments in 1day, im glad you all gave your opinions :D

btw pip, the 3DS is gonna flop, its their hugest mistake since virtual boy, they just released the DSi, & DSiXLL noone is gonna pay for another overpriced DScounterpart, when they already had to pay between 180-210$ for the DSi
and hell i havent even gotta a DSi yet, i personally think its a waste of money.
ill just go get a new DS lite, much more worth it, i can use the GBA on it ;)

PiPVoda
May 24th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Pokemon games aren't meant to have a certain display of graphics. The graphics improve along with the systems. The games could still be great in 3D, possibly even better, and yeah I agree w/ that other user you can't really compare Sonic to pokemon. Game Freak would never do anything to destroy the pokemon name.

slashedsickness
May 24th, 2010, 06:53 PM
It is supposedly the last Pokemon game, so I'm almost positive that it will be on the 3DS.

Mortalis
May 24th, 2010, 07:15 PM
It is supposedly the last Pokemon game, so I'm almost positive that it will be on the 3DS.

Was this announced somewhere? That it's supposedly the last Pokemon game, I mean, or is this your thought?

Also, It's already known that it wont be released just for the 3DS, seeing as how Japan will get it before the 3DS will be released.

Kirbychu
May 24th, 2010, 07:17 PM
First of all, BW has been confirmed for DS. Second, you do realize that the whole "last generation" rumor circulates every generation, right?

Mortalis
May 24th, 2010, 07:45 PM
First of all, BW has been confirmed for DS. Second, you do realize that the whole "last generation" rumor circulates every generation, right?

This is very true. Slashedsickness, did you know Game Freak was going to stop at G/S/C, but because It sold so much, they had to make another game.
So then people heard this and thought that Hoenn would be the official last, but it sold good too, so they continued this up until this point.

Trust me, don't believe It until Game Freak says so publicly ... which wont be for awhile.

mystic_flygon
May 24th, 2010, 07:49 PM
3D and 2D are okay but 3D has more "realistic" look compared to 2D

Hessian
May 24th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I can't remember who it was on here that said it, but it was basically along the lines of wanting the cities in-game to have the same feeling of grandeur and majesty as in the anime. I completely agree with this; though some of the 3D battle sprites in the preview pics looked a bit odd, the pictures of the main city looked beautiful. I can't wait!

miley810
June 11th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I love both ways I will probley miss the old way but the new way seems great too.I realy like that there starting to give us good grafics and not grafics that looks like it is drawn on paper by a kid who doesn't know how to make his drawing look 3D yet.

Pokemafia
June 11th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Pokemon was a 2d game in the beginning, and it shall ALWAYS remain a 2d game in the end, 2.5d is ok, I hate that the signature of pokemon games is gone and we have this 3d rubbish. I will only buy Black or White solely to compete in the 2011 VGC, otherwise I hate it.

Jerme
June 11th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Pokemon was a 2d game in the beginning, and it shall ALWAYS remain a 2d game in the end, 2.5d is ok, I hate that the signature of pokemon games is gone and we have this 3d rubbish. I will only buy Black or White solely to compete in the 2011 VGC, otherwise I hate it.

this sounds stupid. its not like they had a choice to make it 3D back then, it was all available. i'm pretty sure "pokemon is going to be 2d and always will be" was going on in their heads while making r/b/y. like the mario games, super mario 64 was excellent. and dont get me started on GTA. this game has both angles.

black and white ARE for DS, and i'm guessing chrome/grey/prism or whatever will be on 3DS

Yoshimi
June 11th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I'm not even sure if it's 3D since you still only move left, right, up, and down. It seems a lot more like 2.5D to me. Either way, the 3rd dimension sucks, but I don't really care as it doesn't have an effect on gameplay.

Thunderhead
June 11th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I want to see them do a 3D game on the wii. It would be good 3D, and not the kind you would see on a N64.....

That, and graphics never bothered to be in my vision, so I have no intrest in 3D/2D/1D/8D/ whatever D

Tanaki
June 11th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I mean I like the 3D aspects and all, and they were pretty neat. The only problem I have with them is that they make a rather stark contrast between the sprites of the overworld items and 3D backgrounds. And those 3D additions took away the old ability to save in less than 10 seconds that we used to see in games like leafgreen. I don't know about all of you, but sometimes I just want to hurry up and finish what I'm doing in the game and not have to spend a minute and a half waiting for my game to save because I moved 2 pokemon in my box. It's ridiculous.

Dr.Garrison
June 14th, 2010, 07:01 PM
So some new pictures were placed on serebii.net and it looks kinda out of the ordinary to me. It shows trainers roaming in 3-d plains. I'm not really liking the look of the city. It's just, kinda far from the old pokemon games. I'm not ranting or anything because I'm still going to buy Black or White (undecided.) I just wanted to know what you guys thought about the new look of the pokemon world that is being created by the developers. (Lets cross our fingers and hope for the best!)

HugSomebody
June 14th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I like the advanced, technological feel of the city so far. (: It really feels modern. The world is changing like this, so why not the games too?

As for the 3-D...it depends on how it'll play and how the camera angles will move (like for the circular town). At first I thought it was heavy 3-D, like being on top of the lighthouse in Olivine, but I'll just have to see first hand how it feels playing.

Dr.Garrison
June 14th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Likewise, the thought that the camera may be placed weirdly while in town or whatever just gives me bad feelings about the game. Sometimes the view of the game is EVERYTHING. Your not going to want to play a game where you can't see because some careless creator placed some bland house in view of where you are walking. (Not saying Gamefreak is careless.)

Dullstar
June 14th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Look, Nintendo. If you're going to make Pokemon 3D, at least make the whole thing 3D instead of 3D with 2D sprites. I have never seen an instance where 2D sprites on a 3D playing field looked good.

Also, the back-sprites of Red/Blue/Yellow are back... *facepalm*

AceTrainerLegend
June 15th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Im not certain yet. From videos it looks like in some places the 3d is exxagerated and causes a degree of parralax error when navigating.

But still 3d looks cool and we'll probly get used to it. There is a cheat for HG/SS which makes it 3d like this too, honestly look it up. I have it ands its quite good

PiPVoda
June 15th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Look, Nintendo. If you're going to make Pokemon 3D, at least make the whole thing 3D instead of 3D with 2D sprites. I have never seen an instance where 2D sprites on a 3D playing field looked good.

Also, the back-sprites of Red/Blue/Yellow are back... *facepalm*

I don't have a problem with that, and I think the sprites will be in 3D. We just can't tell from the sort battles we've seen so far. Though a total 3D game may just depend on which system you get. Black and white will be enhanced for the DSi, and since the games will also be playable on the 3DS I imagine that would mean 3D sprites, 3D everything! For the ones w/ just a DS Lite/DS..well..oh well guess they would be stuck w/ the 2D sprites.

bobman1234
June 16th, 2010, 05:06 AM
HATE IT!
I have always hated d/p/p hg/ss style, the graphics, the music, the new tiles, just EVERYTHING!!
I so not know why but I like the advanced gen style SO much more.

enderalex
June 16th, 2010, 06:10 AM
HATE IT!
I have always hated d/p/p hg/ss style, the graphics, the music, the new tiles, just EVERYTHING!!
I so not know why but I like the advanced gen style SO much more.

dude advanced gen sucked, only good things about it was fr/lg and thats because they were remakes of the originals :p

Jerme
June 16th, 2010, 02:53 PM
dude advanced gen sucked, only good things about it was fr/lg and thats because they were remakes of the originals :p

tbh they weren't that fun since they were almost direct remakes of the originals (now outdated) which didn't have much to do in them (especially since missingno was taken out)

jennrummymeister
June 16th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I personally liked the Lost Zone in Platinum. I would really love to see 3D sprites for 3D Pokemon Battles. It would be the next best thing to Battle Revolution for the Wii.

TFKitFG
June 24th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I'm actually pretty amped for generation 5. the 3D graphics are a huge step innovation-wise, but I wouldn't have minded sticking with the pseudo 3D generation 4 had going on.

Wimchow
June 24th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Hopefully the game hasn't gone from decent looking 2D graphics, to 3D poor looking graphics :(

-Wimchow