PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] Game difficulty

flight
May 15th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Well guys, here's the deal. Some of us know how fearsome Cynthia's Garchomp(much less the whole E4) was back in Platinum. My question to you guys is: Do you think that Gen V will be the same way?

Basically, what do you expect so far when difficulty is concerned? Do you think there's gonna be smarter AIs and perhaps an even stronger E4 then before?

What are you expectations for the difficulty of this game?

Samme!
May 15th, 2010, 06:32 PM
With such little information as of now, it's hard to gauge the difficulty level, but I'm really hoping that this game is going to provide a challenge. By challenge I mean something that's going to make me work to meet the goal, but also have fun while doing so. In HG/SS for example, the low levels made training very difficult, but it just wasn't very fun. To be honest, I wouldn't mind the option of a difficulty level. Of course I highly doubt that they'll ever do that, but hey, it would let many different people play the games in ways that they're comfortable with. But in realistic terms, I just hope it isn't going to be cut and dry battling, training, and winning your way to become champion. I want to be able to black out against difficult gym leaders, I want to face some tough trainers here and there.

Arcelio
May 15th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I want to be able to black out against difficult gym leaders,

I hear alcohol can help with that...

No, but seriously, if they put in a difficult system, it'd make my day. Hell, I honestly think that Nintendo could learn a few lessons from the hacking community. Look at some of the hacks that they've made, the new storylines, new sprites, and new features. Hell, Zel created a true Pokemon Gold remake years before Nintendo even bothered, and honestly, I think Zel's is a bit better.

Kirbychu
May 15th, 2010, 07:03 PM
With such little information as of now, it's hard to gauge the difficulty level, but I'm really hoping that this game is going to provide a challenge. By challenge I mean something that's going to make me work to meet the goal, but also have fun while doing so. In HG/SS for example, the low levels made training very difficult, but it just wasn't very fun. To be honest, I wouldn't mind the option of a difficulty level. Of course I highly doubt that they'll ever do that, but hey, it would let many different people play the games in ways that they're comfortable with. But in realistic terms, I just hope it isn't going to be cut and dry battling, training, and winning your way to become champion. I want to be able to black out against difficult gym leaders, I want to face some tough trainers here and there.
This pretty much sums up how I feel. I don't want the game to feel like a constant grind. A little challenge is always welcome.

Tyrantrum
May 15th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I hope they do make it a bit challenging. That way it'd be more fun. :D Also, they better not make it like HG/SS whereas all the wild Pokémon are so weak in level.

Waffle-San
May 15th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Agreeing with the consensus. A difficulty level would be ideal. I mean I like to grind a little a destroy the gym leaders but I wouldn't mind a little more challenge. A champion with a max level 70 would be awesome.

Beyerful
May 15th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I want the game to utilize all the levels and by that I mean I want to have more trainers in the level 80s and 90s area. I am sorta over the E4 being only in the 50-70 area and one epic trainer being in the 80s.
For example, my friend recorded a battle in the battle frontier in SS against a lv87 altaria (he was in the Battle hall) and showed it to me on VS recorder and said it was a trainer on Mt.Silver (I didnt know how the VS recorder worked at the time). I want to have a place like that where there are heaps of trainers with like 80s and 90s.
Also, I think if everyone was re matchable that would add some difficulty. You would have to go around rematching everyone to prove that you truly can beat everyone. Even if not everyones pokémon get stronger, just being able to rematch anyone sounds amazing to me.

Ninja Caterpie
May 15th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I hate any higher level difficulty than it is already.

If it gets to the point that I can't run the game with three Pokemon without grinding, I'll quit Pokémon. I like Pokemon because I don't need to grind. If I have a full team, I get some competitive movesets and I can survive. If I have half a team, I can just run through the game and pwn trainers with overlevelled Pokemon.

If it gets hard to the point I'll need to grind no matter what, Pokemon will die for me.

Zeta Patchouli
May 15th, 2010, 08:12 PM
I'd like it to be a bit harder, but to stay the same as well. I mean, it would be pretty cool to be able to choose a difficulty setting for the games. Easy or Hard. Easy would be the mode that is about as tough as the games are now, while Hard would be quite a bit tougher. I'd love that, but alas, I don't think that will happen.

So make it a bit harder, but don't go overboard, I guess.

God
May 15th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I'd like it to be more challenging this time, to engage me, to piss me off. I love games that drive me crazy, because I try even harder to beat them.

Just my two cents.

PiPVoda
May 15th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I wouldn't mind it be more challenging as long as the wild pokemon are a tad higher leveled too. Harder gyms are really what I'm looking for, many of them just seemed too easy. The Elite 4, now that's another story. Maybe the elite 4 will be replaced with battling other hard trainers leading up to the champion. Or after battling the trainers and making your way up next would be the elite four then the champ. Of course this wouldn't happen all at once. After each battle with the trainer one could say be able to heal their pokemon and save the game. I don't know how it would go but I'm sure if Game Freak though of an idea like it then they would find a way to make it work.

Haza
May 15th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I hope this game is pretty hard. Even though HeartGold & SoulSilver were amazing aesthetically, I was completely turned off by the difficulty level so I still have not completed it. I want this game to bring the difficulty. With the characters aging, and putting so much effort into it, I hope that they stay true to trying to appeal to the older audience.

GlitchCity
May 15th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Well when I first played diamond it was pretty challenging than previous games. I do expect Black & White to be like that, it makes the game more fun to play.

DXrobots
May 15th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I don't like having to level grind to get through every gym leader. I would like a lot more puzzles that are all moderately challenging.

FloatingClouds
May 16th, 2010, 12:11 AM
You should be able to change the difficulty in the games menu, they should upgrade the whole menu in my oppinion. The game are axpected to be really good sooo just wait and see!

Thunderpunch
May 16th, 2010, 12:18 AM
I want an elite four that ranges from lvl 80 to 100 or so, the second time you fight them. I'm tired of having to grind on Hiker Bob's team of gravelers 13421351 times to get my team to 100

Charmageddon
May 16th, 2010, 12:19 AM
I thought that Sinnoh got the difficulty level about right. Maybe it should be a tad harder. But not in a way that forces you to grind. Everyone hates grinding, we shouldn't have to grind, we should simply have to engage our brains and play tactically in order to beat the opponents.

chaos11011
May 16th, 2010, 03:59 AM
I want the game to be simmilar to bloody platinum.Your at the 4th gym and the Leaders pokemon are in the High 40's

vibratingcat
May 16th, 2010, 04:06 AM
well they made the protagonist older, which could be hinting at their intended audience, so it could get more hard. which would be good. but a difficulty option will definatlly be nice.

sampika08
May 16th, 2010, 04:17 AM
I still want a story mode that takes over a day. Difficulty for me should be so that if you beat all the trainers your pokemon are *just* too weak. Need to battle wild pokemon to get up. As it is you can beat the game without having "special training" as Ash calls it.

JAK3
May 16th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Sure, make it harder, but, all the fans need to enjoy themselves while adventuring. If it's so hard that it makes is boring, then what's the point? It was so hard to train in Heart Gold and Soul Silver because all the Pokemon where such low levels in the Wild, so maybe they could change that around a bit :)

SpawnHyuuga
May 16th, 2010, 05:35 AM
I honestly, can't see how hard it would be to add a difficulty level to a Pokemon game. Now don't start flaming me, because I really don't know how to program in any computer languages, or for the DS; but it can't possibly be that hard with what Nintendo has given us already.

I can do it with RPG Maker XP, and that is a selectable option in my game, albeit it needs fixing.

The hardest part is adaptability however, some trainers raise evenly; and others like me take the strongest Pokemon they have and use it solely. I usually use the starter, and with a straightforward difficulty selection I get something like this:

Easy: -2 Levels from Highest Pokemon of Trainer
Normal: Equal to "" "" "" ""
Hard: +2 Levels "" "" "" "" ""

Then if my Highest levelled Pokemon faints, and I have nothing else or just a baby I get royally screwed. However, this also tends to not be realistic for the enemy AI either.

Whereas, comparably with something like most trainers who keep a team near same-level with +- 5 of each other, the system above would probably be easy if they had the right types and movesets.

Hiroshi Sotomura
May 16th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Given that DP could become a little crazy, I'd probably want that kind of difficulty here, too, or else the campaign would be boring. It shouldn't be bad enough that you'll have to rely on losing money and going to the Pokémon Center all the time, but it needs to have none of the underlevelling stuff that HG/SS had.

Oh yeah, it's pretty straightforward to add some toggle, wise of programming.

SpawnHyuuga
May 16th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Well, I noticed that they seem to be getting better with it. I also don't intend to slam on fans of the fan game Pokemon Raptor, and maybe it was just me; but I made a LOT of trips to the PokeCenter (unintentionally) just trying to train my starter Piplup for the second gym. Which reminds me...time to go play...

But yeah, they're getting a little bit better, and Platinum seems to be the best. Knowing Game Freak, though, it will probably remain the best as there going to keep trying to tinker and "fix" something, and end up making it broke.

Blue
May 16th, 2010, 10:04 AM
I Hope this game is more difficult, the most difficult so far actually, I want a challenge, with 8th Gym Leaders Pokemon Reaching beyond 50 - 55. Pokemon Heart Gold & Soul Silver was WAY to easy, the team Rockets at the radio tower (before the 7th gym) had Rattata's BELOW level 20, that's just ridiculous, so yeah, I'd like a real challenge.

Noah Ridgewood
May 16th, 2010, 10:10 AM
I Hope this game is more difficult, the most difficult so far actually, I want a challenge, with 8th Gym Leaders Pokemon Reaching beyond 50 - 55. Pokemon Heart Gold & Soul Silver was WAY to easy, the team Rockets at the radio tower (before the 7th gym) had Rattata's BELOW level 20, that's just ridiculous, so yeah, I'd like a real challenge.
I agree completely. After playing through Diamond and Platinum, I was expecting HeartGold and SoulSilver to have at least some changes to the difficulty. From what I've experienced, Gold and Silver and their remakes were the easiest games in the series difficulty-wise, while Diamond, Pearl and Platinum remain to be the hardest. I like a challenge when I play video games. One that really makes me think and makes me actually worry that I'll lose to someone like a gym leader or someone even more minuscule like a trainer off the street.

It would be really nice if Generation V delivered. Aside from Generation II and the remakes, each generation for me has got progressively more difficult. I hope they continue to go on that path and make the games more difficult from generation to generation. It'll be more interesting and more challenging that way, and that's what makes a game fun for me.

I think having difficulty levels would ruin the game for me if they keep up to par with Diamond, Pearl and Platinum's difficulty.

JAK3
May 16th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Dude, I totally agree with you, I didn't even finish Heart Gold, it didn't interest me at all, and this is why i'm excited for Black & White, new adventure, new Pokemon, new everything, and hopefully, a new challenge, a hard challenge.

MistahDude
May 17th, 2010, 05:15 PM
One thing that always pissed me off about Pokemon is that the trainers are always really weak, and they hardly ever present with my a non-hax related challenge. I would love for the trainers to be higher levels than the leader I just beat. I would also love for the leaders to be challenging and to each have a particular strategy.

What do you think?

An Imperialist named Dak
May 17th, 2010, 06:01 PM
think about what you said first. Now think of all of the 5 year olds who will play this game.

I'm like you, i want them to start differently like actually introduce EV's to you in the beginning and they give you the power items to EV train and you fight trainers with actual strategy and the E4 is based off the weather effects and etc.
But, it will never happen, at least in our lifetime.

Meepman
May 17th, 2010, 06:18 PM
think about what you said first. Now think of all of the 5 year olds who will play this game. Yeah that's something people in the pokemon fanbase often seem to forget, the target audience. As easy as it may be for you and to beat trainers in the game not everybody playing the games knows as much as you do and likely has more difficulty in the game (I actually have memories of losing to Ariana in the original GSC games O_O). It'd make me a pretty happy camper though.

X75flames
May 17th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Yes, make them harder. More xp for me >:D

Yay, team roket is suppost to be all scary (or any other team really) and they are total pushovers! A lvl 11 Ratata? I have a lvl 20 Typhlosion.....

MistahDude
May 17th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Yes, make them harder. More xp for me >:D

Yay, team roket is suppost to be all scary (or any other team really) and they are total pushovers! A lvl 11 Ratata? I have a lvl 20 Typhlosion.....

or at least a difficulty level...

Vrai
May 17th, 2010, 07:21 PM
think about what you said first. Now think of all of the 5 year olds who will play this game.

I'm like you, i want them to start differently like actually introduce EV's to you in the beginning and they give you the power items to EV train and you fight trainers with actual strategy and the E4 is based off the weather effects and etc.
But, it will never happen, at least in our lifetime.

Showing the fact that Effort Values do indeed exist in the game is something unlikely to happen, seeing as if they would have wanted to do that they would have done that a long time ago (plus, it's part of their super-secret training formula stuff so most casual players will likely never know of it, nor would they be interested in EV training). There's a reason the EV stuff is given towards the end of the game.

It would be nice if the supposed "better" trainers had some different strategies, although we've already seen that to a limited aspect.

Yeah that's something people in the pokemon fanbase often seem to forget, the target audience. As easy as it may be for you and to beat trainers in the game not everybody playing the games knows as much as you do and likely has more difficulty in the game (I actually have memories of losing to Ariana in the original GSC games O_O). It'd make me a pretty happy camper though.

Technically, Ariana didn't exist in GSC.

I, for one, will be happy so long as wild Pokémon levels manage to keep within range of my Pokémon levels. I need training bait. ;;

Cherrim
May 18th, 2010, 04:36 AM
One thing that always pissed me off about Pokemon is that the trainers are always really weak, and they hardly ever present with my a non-hax related challenge. I would love for the trainers to be higher levels than the leader I just beat. I would also love for the leaders to be challenging and to each have a particular strategy.

What do you think?
Merged your thread into the already existing difficulty discussion thread.

Arma
May 18th, 2010, 09:02 AM
They should up the difficulty indeed, but, if they do, they should also include enough trainers to compensate for this. I seriously don't like grinding against wild pokemon...

Sage Harpuia
May 18th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Really hoping to be harder!
However without exagerating, I don't want to grid (I never do it).

ChrisTom
May 18th, 2010, 09:30 AM
See you want Pokemon games to be difficult enough to where you can have a challenge, but easy enough to where you don't pull out your hair cursing...

*COUGH COUGH* WHITNEY'S MILTANK *COUGH COUGH* MOTHER #$*&ING PEICE OF *COUGH COUGH*

I think in terms of difficulty, Platinum did very well. They made it to where you had occasional moments where you had to go do some hardcore training, and this was what made it easy to get lvl 100's in that game.

They know that their main demographic is Teens who grew up with the games, so I think they'll aim the difficulty around there.

Rich Boy Rob
May 18th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I definitely want a decently hard Pokémon game for once and I'm happy to do a bit of grinding every once in a while to defeat someone hard. I'd definitely agree on the difficulty options, but I know how incredibly unlikely that is so I'm not getting my hopes up.

cobraman228
May 18th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I want it to be a bit more challenging, but nothing that will want me to kill someone. The E4 in SS took me two tries to beat, while the E4 in platinum took me about five shots at it to finally beat.

Lets not for get. SS is so easy its hard. Seriously, Level grinding is so god damn difficult. If wild pokemons levels where raised by 2-5 levels, that'd make my day.

but, :( , what's the chance of that happening, eh?

A Pixy
May 19th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Simple, how hard do you want BW to be? Do you want it to be easy for the n00bs? Or do you want it to be painfully difficult for the old-timers?

As for me, I wouldn't change the difficulty from DPPt, that felt just hard enough for me.

So how hard do you want BW to be?

loliwin
May 19th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Well, I'd definitely like it average. It'd make the game better and more enjoyable.

kaiser32
May 19th, 2010, 04:18 AM
I'm blowing through games way to fast now simply because they're too easy. I mean the Gyms fall apart when Para haxed or sleep haxed. Heck You could own each gym with zubat and a wurmple.

myrrh25
May 19th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Somewhat difficult.

Mainly because I want to be able to get through the gyms without having to grind 6 levels between each, for all 5/6 of my pokemon, but i'd like some difficulty so i don't have to just go "haha sleep! haha attract! haha parahax + flinchmonkey FTW!" for every gym battle.

kaiser32
May 19th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Somewhat difficult.

Mainly because I want to be able to get through the gyms without having to grind 6 levels between each, for all 5/6 of my pokemon, but i'd like some difficulty so i don't have to just go "haha sleep! haha attract! haha parahax + flinchmonkey FTW!" for every gym battle.

You know whats teh awesomez sauce? Go breed a team of baby pokes. and it will be epic when you troll every trainer.

Cherrim
May 19th, 2010, 05:47 AM
I think if they make it about on par with Diamond/Pearl (not Platinum, that was hard for me ;o;), then I'll be content. HGSS was "too easy" in the sense that the levels were ridiculously low for the main game and not much better for Kanto... but then you're faced with leveling up for Red's 80s when you finish the rest of the game in the 50s and just... ffff. :( I don't want any sort of repeat of that.
Simple, how hard do you want BW to be? Do you want it to be easy for the n00bs? Or do you want it to be painfully difficult for the old-timers?

As for me, I wouldn't change the difficulty from DPPt, that felt just hard enough for me.

So how hard do you want BW to be?
Merged this into the existing difficulty thread.

Zet
May 19th, 2010, 05:52 AM
I wouldn't mind having to choose a difficultly level, like in some games you get to choose from easy, medium and hard(and of course in some cases extra hard, etc)

Hu
May 19th, 2010, 06:23 AM
What I would LOVE to see is starting off in Kanto, and actually working your way through out the other leagues, so you start with charmander, bulbasaur or squirtle, and you would have the same legendary attacks as in the tv shows. I think the best game out there is Pokemon raptor EX because well it's a COMPLETELY different story line, you run into most of the legends, and there is this group called Gaia wings. They did an AMAZING job with it. If game freak made b&w like that that would be awesome. They did it with gold & silver go to johto and kanto but they should do it with the new game, there for HAVE to make harder battles.

Just my little rant :)

PiPVoda
May 19th, 2010, 07:23 AM

DPPt had tougher gym leaders and a much higher pokemon league that made is somewhat difficult. I think black and white should take from these games. In platinum I'm finding plenty of areas with wild pkmn that provide a good amount of exp to my pokemon. The gym leaders aren't high enough imo, but they're definitely more challenging than the ones in HG/SS. Actually I had a tougher time beating Team Galaxy in Eterna City a few days ago than I had with beating Team Rocket at the radio tower in Goldenrod City...and I consider that a bad thing, lmao.

There are other ways to make the game more difficult. Increase the level of trainers you fight on routes and hopefully in cities, change the battling system to a more what I call 'fighter-type system' where you don't depend on four measly moves and have to wait to attack. Something similar to games where you can send out an attack and it hits depending on your accuracy/speed. Sounds kind of difficult so I doubt Nintendo would add it to the game--due to younger players having problems with it possibly.

What I would LOVE to see is starting off in Kanto, and actually working your way through out the other leagues, so you start with charmander, bulbasaur or squirtle, and you would have the same legendary attacks as in the tv shows. I think the best game out there is Pokemon raptor EX because well it's a COMPLETELY different story line, you run into most of the legends, and there is this group called Gaia wings. They did an AMAZING job with it. If game freak made b&w like that that would be awesome. They did it with gold & silver go to johto and kanto but they should do it with the new game, there for HAVE to make harder battles.

Just my little rant :)

sounds okay, but I think Kanto should be left out this gen. I mean it's been overused and needs to take a break till like.....gen 8 or 9..lol.

Demigod
May 19th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Pokemon games have always been way too easy. They need to make them somewhat of a challenge.

dooxer
May 19th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Agreeing with the consensus. A difficulty level would be ideal. I mean I like to grind a little a destroy the gym leaders but I wouldn't mind a little more challenge. A champion with a max level 70 would be awesome.

max 70 elite4 champion... crazy awesome, but... it leaves only 30 levels of after story content for you to expand a single pokemon.

I actually want a sort of tower filled with previous champions, not based on any element but with all sorts of pokemon, and that actually take more than a standard team to beat. as close to pvp as a computer can get please!!
And have this AS PART OF THE AFTER-STORY. I don't want this to be randomized trainers in a battle tower, I want npc story line behind them. Bring back a revamped Ash as the champ lol, all 90's and above.

this way you can get to lvl 100 as part of the story...!

Hu
May 19th, 2010, 08:33 AM
DPPt had tougher gym leaders and a much higher pokemon league that made is somewhat difficult. I think black and white should take from these games. In platinum I'm finding plenty of areas with wild pkmn that provide a good amount of exp to my pokemon. The gym leaders aren't high enough imo, but they're definitely more challenging than the ones in HG/SS. Actually I had a tougher time beating Team Galaxy in Eterna City a few days ago than I had with beating Team Rocket at the radio tower in Goldenrod City...and I consider that a bad thing, lmao.

There are other ways to make the game more difficult. Increase the level of trainers you fight on routes and hopefully in cities, change the battling system to a more what I call 'fighter-type system' where you don't depend on four measly moves and have to wait to attack. Something similar to games where you can send out an attack and it hits depending on your accuracy/speed. Sounds kind of difficult so I doubt Nintendo would add it to the game--due to younger players having problems with it possibly.

sounds okay, but I think Kanto should be left out this gen. I mean it's been overused and needs to take a break till like.....gen 8 or 9..lol.

If there is a gen 8 or 9 i will be disappointed in pokemon :(

Kenpachi316
May 19th, 2010, 10:44 AM
i doubt they will step up the difficulty very much, pokemon games story modes are aimed at younger gamers, so kids actually stand a chance at completing it.

i too wish there would be a difficulty option, like 'master trainer mode', where the story was a real challenge battle by battle.
but im not getting my hopes up.

ive found this helps, in the options menu i change battle style to 'set'
this was switching pokemon actually costs you a turn (like in real wifi battling)
rather than always getting a free switch to a counter.

HunterX101
May 19th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I would like it to be as difficult if not more than Diamond and Pearl were. Diamond and Pearl has decently high levels in the E4. It kind of also depends on the storyline.

Pokemon Pals
May 19th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I never got to the elite four

A Pixy
May 19th, 2010, 04:25 PM
i too wish there would be a difficulty option, like 'master trainer mode', where the story was a real challenge battle by battle.
but im not getting my hopes up.

I would like that very much. It should...

Increase wild Pokemon frequency.
Increase wild and Trainer Pokemon levels.
Decreased EXP per battle.
Slightly weakened moves.

And things like that.

molepeople27
May 19th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Honeslty I would like really difficult pokemon game, something i could spend hours training just to beat the next gym leader; it has something I want to build up to... not saying you can do that in the other games it would just make it more... interesting :/

I want to get nervous and feel my heart beat in a battle. Does anybody else like that rush?
It gets me worked up and that's what games are suppose to do

Eeohnex
May 19th, 2010, 10:39 PM
I think Nintendo should make a difficulty system where you can choose the level you want to play according to your experience in the Pokemon Game Series, I think it would be awesome, and it'd make it more interesting.

Alternative
May 20th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Unlike everyone else, I actually thought HGSS was more difficult with all the low level Pokemon and the higher level Gym Leaders. It did make the game that tad bit difficult, whereas I didn't see that in D/P/Pt.

I would like to see a bit of a challenge with the new Pokemon game, maybe that the trainers and definitely the gym leaders have more of a strategy and more than one to choose from, so they seem more unpredictable than usual.

myrrh25
May 20th, 2010, 02:00 AM
I never got to the elite four

There is nothing else I can say about this apart from...

"Please leave."

Morkula
May 20th, 2010, 04:06 AM
Platinum almost nailed the difficulty curve. The gym/E4 Pokemon had good movesets and levels, and it seemed like the AI was a lot better in that game than in previous ones. My complaints about Platinum were that the midgame gym leaders were a total joke (thinking specifically of Wake and Byron) and they were too restrictive on the number of Pokemon each gym leader had (Wake and Byron should have had 4, and Volkner should have had 5).

So if B/W has a similar difficulty to Platinum, with maybe even slightly better AI and a couple tweaks, I'll be happy. I don't want the whole game to be a frustrating grind, but as long as the game has some challenge I'll be happy.

ilikeluigi
May 20th, 2010, 10:40 AM
The only time I whited out on any of the DS games. Was against my brothers.
I like the GBA and lower games. They provided a decent challenge.

I think White should give you the feeling that you don't know if your going to win. Because in the DS games your rival was the only ""tough-ish" opponent. Cynthia was a joke compared to Blue on R/B/Y and Red on G/S/C. There is reason I love the mystery dungon games. It that they are HARD! I hope white is going to be difficult.

Dragonika
May 20th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Hmm well i guess it would be good if the game was a little harder but not to much because remember guys this region will be totally new to us plus alott bigger than any other region soo on difficulty level just abit harder than it normally is :D

Storm_has_formed
May 20th, 2010, 01:44 PM
I would like the levels increased, but they need to work on the AI!!! Using rain dance twice in a row does not impress me. The only good AI i have seen in HG/SS is in the battle frontier, and they do not even use switching out. I can not get wi-fi at the moment, so i would like to experience a challenge like online

flight
May 20th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Platinum almost nailed the difficulty curve. The gym/E4 Pokemon had good movesets and levels, and it seemed like the AI was a lot better in that game than in previous ones. My complaints about Platinum were that the midgame gym leaders were a total joke (thinking specifically of Wake and Byron) and they were too restrictive on the number of Pokemon each gym leader had (Wake and Byron should have had 4, and Volkner should have had 5).

So if B/W has a similar difficulty to Platinum, with maybe even slightly better AI and a couple tweaks, I'll be happy. I don't want the whole game to be a frustrating grind, but as long as the game has some challenge I'll be happy.

I agree with you on that note. The Elite four was satisfactory at most when it came to difficulty; probably most of them were a tad bit too easy for the most part. I can remember a lot of people complaining about Cynthia and her Garchomp being the most difficult, but then again a good ice type should've been able to take care of that.

Basically, the level Cynthia had is basically the level where B/W needs to be as far as trainers go. It can be strategic, something you can at least use thought for instead of just slapping any in-game team and think you're going to make any progress.

Volroc
May 20th, 2010, 06:43 PM
i dont care just please dont be as horrible as gen4 -_-" difficulty was great, but pokemon selection was horrible

15ares
May 20th, 2010, 07:04 PM
what i want to see is EV training hotspots, and higher levels all around. I also want to see alot of content. I can beat pokemon games around 20 hours (idk if thats good or bad) and i want to see more play time than that.

Angelroid
May 20th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I would like it, If the games got somewhat difficult from now on.

seeker
May 24th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Personally I do hope that it will be more challenging and with a lot more side quests and or mysteries to be filled out before you can proceed rather than storming your way through the game.

In saying that I'd rather a lengthy game as opposed to a simply challenging one which involves more wandering in tall grass to increase levels.

Mack911
May 24th, 2010, 09:48 AM
i would either like the level to be somewhat lower, or training, alot easier

Pokestick, good times.
May 24th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I like challenges. Platinum was good. HGSS was easy, but super fun at the same time, because there was so many trainers xD

I want the game itself to be difficult, puzzles, maps. The battles don't matter that much to me.

Mortalis
May 24th, 2010, 09:58 AM
In HG/SS, It was pretty easy at some parts, then pretty challenging at others ... like Claire. God, I'm going to murder that woman.
All in all, it was average if you put it all together, I guess.

I'm hoping that for black and white It will be a little more difficult. I love challenges ... like puzzles, hunting on maps, completing the Pokedex ... I really hope they do step it up.

Mew396
May 24th, 2010, 02:31 PM
It seems to me that every game I've played(all of them) the difficulty depends on the starter you pick. Hopefully in gen. V they make it a bit of a challenge for all three starters.

vincanthofred
May 24th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Honestly, I just want a difficulty curve...

Bloothump
May 24th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Alright, so i do want a more difficult pokemon game, but not necissarily level-wise. I would like gym-leaders, baddie admins, and event-based trainers to have more strategy in their battling tactics. So, more diverse and difficult movepools, useful hold items that aren't berries, and let's say they're pokemon have raised stats, as if they used a Protein or two. IVs and EVs don't need to be added, considering it's not known by all players anyway. Oh and anyone recognize this scenario?

"OH NOEZ, 10 YEAR OLD THE BRIDGE IS BROKEZ! FIX IT PWEEZ!" *run 20 steps out of the frame* "Hey look! You're from Team Generic!" "You'll never get the bridge crank outta me! NEVARRRRR!" *battle* *pwn level 15 zubat* "You haven't seen the last of meeeeee!" *runs away* *walks over to bridge, presses A, insert bridge crank, it works* "OH YAY, YOU SAVED DA TOWN! HERE'S DA KEY TO DA CITAY!" ":D"

Let's break this stupid tradition with real sidequests. I wish every situation like this one could result in a sidequest that takes at least half the time as the Magnet Train one in HGSS. It'd be nice to have real incentive to journey to new places or return to past areas. This is the difficulty I'm looking for.

Azzurra
May 24th, 2010, 10:39 PM
The puzzles within the game are intended for a younger audience. I would, however, like a difficulty setting. Let's say you set it on easy and you face level 20 wild Pokemon in a certain area and then you set it to hard and you face level 27 Pokemon in the very same area. That would be alright.

Droidz
May 24th, 2010, 11:16 PM
I'd like to to be somewhat difficult so that i dont just speed through the game, but i don't really care that much if they dont change it.

Azzurra
May 24th, 2010, 11:20 PM
You have to remember though, it is directed towards a younger audience, and it'd be kind of unfair to make it too harsh without a switching option of some kind.

Beechlgz
May 24th, 2010, 11:27 PM
I find that even if you have a very good strategy, unless you spend hours grinding your pokemon up the levels you're not going to get far.

I say, if the difficulty level goes up, give us more to do. Give is something to gain EXP from other than grinding against wild pokemon, some different challenges. Not necessarily easy challenges, but just something to make it less monotonous with good EXP rewards. It gets tiresome and is a bit of a waste of time when you think of all the other better stuff you could be doing with your time when all there is for you to do is level up.

I find, personally, the "hardest" part of pokemon is the seemingly endless levelling up.

Azzurra
May 25th, 2010, 02:41 AM
That would be quite interesting, and it'd be much easier to level without spending hours training on wild Pokemon or battling trainers repetitively for the needed exp.

560cool.
May 25th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I hope for better AIs.
Blue's Trainers with Trick Room in HGSS were a great start. They were really annoying. Strategy-wise, not level-wise.
And, yes, here's what I'd like to highliht !
HGSS had HORRIBLY LOW levels. Lv. 2 Voltorb (Juggler Arwin) after the 3rd Gym ???? LOL ! But, I think it was all for Kanto to be good.
I'd like to see real levels and real strategy, like Youngster Joey (IS A GANGSTA) with a Lv. 59 Bronzong with Levitate and Trick Room. Just then, he MAY be called strong and annoying !
"My Bronzor is top-percentage Bronzor ![

fenyx4
May 25th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Though I haven't actually played DPPt or HGSS, I'm hoping for a higher difficulty level this time around. I love the feeling of accomplishment that is evoked upon the completion of a very difficult game. (I'm hoping I don't regret this later on, though, because I have enough trouble with Emerald's Battle Frontier already :cer_pissed:)

Adjustable difficulty levels would be a great addition to the options, and shouldn't be that difficult to implement (though I'm not a programmer so I'm not going to say it's an extremely easy difficult to do. I mean, it takes me a while to animate complex sequences in Powerpoint, so when considering programming...)

The rematches with Gym Leaders in Emerald, DPPt, and HGSS were a very good addition, and I hope that continues in future games. I'd like it if at one point all of their Pokemon happened to get to Level 100 after battling them for so many times in the rematch areas... Either that, or get the Champion's Pokemon to all reach 100, and adjust the Elite 4's and Gym Leader Pokemon accordingly (i.e., the 4th E4 member's Pokemon would be 96-99, the 3rd E4 member's Pokemon would be of slightly lower levels, and so on)

tsutaajafan95
May 25th, 2010, 11:43 AM
i hope its hard, i really like a challenge in my games and black and white show a lot of improvement. which might mean theyre harder!

PiPVoda
May 25th, 2010, 11:45 AM
That would be quite interesting, and it'd be much easier to level without spending hours training on wild Pokemon or battling trainers repetitively for the needed exp.

I don't have a problem with this. As long as the pkmn are are at a high enough level to where I can get a good amount of EXP from one battle then that's all that matters. For instance I'm raising my mudkip and charmeleon I got from Prof. Oak and Steven in SS and it only took me about ten minutes to level charmander up from level 5 to 20 due to the training in and around Viridian City/Forest and that little patch of grass above the daycare nearl Cerulean. It seems to me like it becomes harder to find high enough leveled pokemon as the game progresses. In Platinum I haven't had that much a hard time finding areas to raise my pkmn, but I remember in my first saved file on it like right after Veilstone City it got harder to train in the wild for me.

You have to remember though, it is directed towards a younger audience, and it'd be kind of unfair to make it too harsh without a switching option of some kind.

They don't have to make it too hard. Just make the gym leaders a tad bit harder (they're too easy as of now) and possibly extend the storyline with more things needed to be done during it and it should be fine. DPPt were great examples of a somewhat challenging game (well the pkmn league) and I remember when I first got Ruby when I was 9 I had a hard time (then again it was the 1st pkmn game I ever played) but I still thought it was fun and really that's what kept me playing.

We, well I, am not suggesting they like up the levels by 20 or something just a longer game that is a little bit more challenging. I'm sure the younger players would be fine with it.

HugSomebody
May 25th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I think an adjustable game difficulty would be useful. A level for new players who've never played before, a level for older players who have a hang for what they're doing in game, and a level for players who want a real challenge in Pokemon. The levels of opponent Pokemon and their movesets could be adjusted accordingly. Also, rematches with gym leaders would also be cool. (=

Beechlgz
May 26th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Adjustable difficulty - would this simply be lower level or higher level opponents and wild pokemon, if you choose lower or higher difficulty respectively?

Because any change in the actual game mechanics could make link-ups difficult. Movesets, as you say HugSomebody, would be okay because it's not too much of a change and it won't interfere with anything. But major changes (don't know if anyone's discussed this yet?) in stats or such could cause some players to have unfair advantages over others depending on what level they picked at the start of the game.

shengar
May 27th, 2010, 06:52 AM
same difficulty as Platinum with longer gameplay time is enough to satisfy me

shot571
June 9th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Hey. Not sure if this has been mentioned already but I would really like there to be a difficulty level. Only 3 imo. Normal, Hard, Crushing. Normal would obviously be normal. Hard would have say 6/7 levels higher for the average trainer. e.g lv 15 rattat instead of 8. Gym leaders would be 10/15 levels higher. Elite would have the lowest level of 60. Max of 90. Crushing would be literally crushing. 10/15 levels higher for normal trainer. Gym leaders would have 25/30 levels higher than the usual. :o. Elite four lowest level 70. champion would have 3 lv 100's. The game would have a warning for the crushing level. starter start at the normal level. Wild pokemon may have to be a higher level as training will take too long otherwise. This idea came by as the onyl fun thing to do right now is the Battle Frontier. I mean its good but I'd like a challenge through the whole game.

Tell me what you think. :)

Dragonika
June 9th, 2010, 09:18 AM
I think the dame difficulty will be just above average either way were going to find the game different (hard) anyways because its a hole new region never been explored before sooo yeh i think it will be hard :D

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l124/GARNGAG/CredittoMouseychu.png (http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=pokemon%20black%20and%20white&order=9&offset=24#/d2ncvxc)

Pokeyomom
June 9th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Wow... I look like a cocky jerk by being the only person thus far to select "super easy":). I'd like to hope it will be challenging, but all of the games preceding it have been easy, so why would these be any different?

The only thing I really see as somewhat of a challenge is competitive battling. Other than that pokemon is pretty easy. Nothing wrong with that, and I am a little bit older (21), so yeah.

I hope I'm wrong!!!

Neelh
June 9th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I'd like it to be average. HG was too difficult :/

alextreme
June 9th, 2010, 10:10 AM
I'd like a difficulty level of HH/SS but without a strong E4 champion like Lance, I had to trade for a strong pokemon in order to defeat lance (KO in 2 moves).

Masterge77
June 9th, 2010, 10:11 AM
The most dificult Elite Four was the first generation one, the easiest was the second generation one, third was in the middle line, and I hope fifth is around this line too, or slightly higher.....

Thunderhead
June 9th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Well, for those who want a challenge level of some sort, theres already one... The starters.
(1 - Charmander, 2 - Chickrita, 3 - Torchick, 4 - Piplup. As the hardest)

I would like them to make these two average, and end the game at a above lv60 champion. However, I do not want this game to be so hard on leveling that its cancels the chance of team assembling.

In FR/LG and D/P/Pt it was much easier to train my pokemon up because of the VS. Seeker. I was able to go through the elite four with no problem. However in games like Emerald and HG/SS. I had to go to every trainer and fight every wild Pokemon to get my team leveled up.

One idea I had was to increase the wild Pokemon of the areas you've already been to before by so and so levels after you reach a certain check point. This may be only wishful thinking here, but you never know. If this was something to occur during game play. It would help training some what.

Another idea would to make B/W average on the difficulty and make the Pokemon Grey of the 5th Gen be harder than the other ones. However, it may reflect the oppisite, as I found Emerald and Platinum easier than there previous makes.

SIN1488
June 9th, 2010, 11:50 AM
None of the games were really difficult overall, it was just small parts of them that were difficult, like certain gym leaders and such. I really hope the new ones are going to be more challenging, to the point where I get so frustrated I want to throw my game across the room, because that's when you know it's a challenge. :P

Jerme
June 9th, 2010, 11:54 AM
they should smarten up the trainers
-when the next move kills you, they will use it. no questions asked
-if a trainer uses a pokemon that has 4x weakness (f.e, parasect) against a type you have (fire), they will switch
-the game doesnt tell you what pokemon the oppenent is sending out anymore.

Rei Shingetsu
June 9th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I'd like it to be average. HG was too difficult :/

Hard, did you say, hard?
I completed it in 2 days =_=|||

And as for the level, I want it somewhat difficult.
Difficult enough to diss me off, yes.

Storm_has_formed
June 9th, 2010, 01:46 PM
maybe platinum's levels, and they improve the AI? It would make it more difficult in the long run

Astinus
June 9th, 2010, 08:21 PM
useful hold items that aren't berries
There are already many useful hold items that aren't berries. Leftovers, the Choice items, Focus Sash... They're helpful.

IVs and EVs don't need to be added, considering it's not known by all players anyway.
Those are hidden values that many people enjoy. The perfect IVs, battling the right Pokemon for the right EVs.

Both those things are for the competitive players, those that Nintendo has rewarded quite well. (Video Game Championships, anyone?) They aren't going anywhere soon. Which is good, because EV training keeps the game interesting, at least for me.

Let's break this stupid tradition with real sidequests. I wish every situation like this one could result in a sidequest that takes at least half the time as the Magnet Train one in HGSS. It'd be nice to have real incentive to journey to new places or return to past areas. This is the difficulty I'm looking for.
I do agree with this, though. The quests, and the challenges on the quests, get to be tedious after a while. I want trainers that can actually stand in my way when I'm trying to save the world/town/Magikarp population. Not grunts that are a waste of my Pokemon's PP.

I do like whatever challenge HG/SS gave. (Never played Platinum, so I can't judge using that as a base.) I was actually forced to grind my Pokemon before they stood a chance against some Gym Leaders they had an effectiveness against. (Like my Machoke versus Jasmine's Steel-types.) It was the same with D/P's Elite Four. There was a challenge there that made the victory worthwhile.

The increased AI definitely helped that.

I guess really just some challenges in some parts for the older players, but keep the game still accessible for the younger players who are the target audience.

HGSS had HORRIBLY LOW levels. Lv. 2 Voltorb (Juggler Arwin) after the 3rd Gym ???? LOL !
This, btw. I stared at my screen when that trainer fight happened.

MegaKuriboh
June 10th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I WANT HARDER GAMES!! Platinum was great but HG/SS not so much...
You'd expect GF to make it harder but it's about the same DARNIT MAKE B/W HARD!!

JackGamer
June 14th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Somewhat difficult.
I want a challenge, without it being really, really hard.

Sleet
June 14th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Id like to see smarter AI. Theres something annoying about someone with one pokemon using selfdestruct when you still have 5 left <_<

Weatherman, Kiyoshi
June 14th, 2010, 03:11 PM
HG/SS was so low leveled.

I needa little challenge up in the games. But no need for grinding. Possibly longer routes and stronger Pokemon might do the trick.

I want my Chiramii be BA from training. X3

Owl
June 30th, 2010, 06:13 AM
I think its going to be Average like all the other games. Not to hard, Not to easy. Although, I would like to see a challenging Pokemon game once in a while. :/

alextreme
June 30th, 2010, 07:00 AM
HG/SS was so low leveled.

That's what i found hard about it because then at the elite four against lance i had trouble beating him because my pokémon weren't that strong.

Corruptodile
June 30th, 2010, 07:07 AM
I'd like it to be harder, much, MUCH harder. Harder than facing Cynthia. HG/SS was too freakin' easy (with the exception of Red). That's why I prefer the Sinnoh Saga.

I'd like to see the first Gym Leader with the lowest level at 16. Gym Leaders are supposed to be tough, not ridiculously easy.

TheAppleFreak
June 30th, 2010, 07:13 AM
I'd like it to be difficult, with Pokémon at higher levels than they were in HG/SS and more of a challenge overall, but not Whitney hard.

Leaf Shinigami
June 30th, 2010, 07:39 AM
I just personally like smarter AI trainers (I swear there were wildies smarter than some CoolTrainers in HGSS). Also a difficulty option would be greatly welcomed.

Keyaki
June 30th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Not too easy but not too hard either. I have to admit that HG/SS was alittle under-leveled which made the battles with Clair hard for me. ( If you can believe it, Lance wasn't really that hard for me.)

As for the Pokemon League, I don't want them to be as easy as the Johto League nor as high-leveled as Kanto E4 whereas their levels were bordering lvl 70. I would like somewhere around Hoenn's E4

Jaiyke
June 30th, 2010, 11:45 AM
i would like if they made something like
the Gym Leaders Pokemon Correspond with the Level of your team
like their Highest Level or Signature Pokemon are the same level of your Highest Pokemon
kinda like what they do in some of those Battle Tower ect ect. Pokemon
their other pokemon can be something like 2 or 3 levels lower than whatever their highest is

Karel_Kazuki
June 30th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Platinum was perfect while they tried to balanced the long storyline with low level pokemon in HGSS.To this day i still haven't beaten the E4 because my pokemon are at least 39-44, my starter Typhoslion being the strongest one.IMO that is just way too hard.How was it at the beginning, i could storm through Gyms 1-4 being stronger by a few levels than them, then suddenly come up to Cianwood and I look like complete crap?THere is something wrong with that picture, lemme tell you.Now I am getting destroyed by Koga's Muk, Bruno's WHOLE TEAM and Karen's Umbreon, even though my team is almost even, our only flaw being that we are susceptable to Ice,Electric, and Ground.

Gymnotide
June 30th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I want this game to be as hard as Etrian Odyssey lol

That is, I want the first patch of grass to have both L1 Pokemon... And L47 Pokemon. There should be aggressive overworld sprites representing Pokemon at L100 that follow you if you move near them and engage when you touch, thereby wiping your team. Gym Leaders should be nigh-unstoppable unless you are overleveled by at least 10 levels or you have an immense amount of luck. Also, blacking out should be removed from the game completely and you should automatically go back to your last saved data when all your Pokemon faint. Oh yeah, and Pokemon should take 18x the current amount of EXP to advance to the next level.

thewinna
July 2nd, 2010, 09:52 PM
I hope that they make it so that it is very hard commpared to others.

AceDragonite
July 3rd, 2010, 08:11 AM
Well, a lot of Players do challenges to increase the game's fun and difficulty, (I'm a Nuzlocker), and it got me to thinking, what if the game had easy mode, normal mode and hard mode.

In easy the Elite Four would be 40-50
Normal- 50-60
Hard-60-70

These are just stepping stones for the whole game, say in Easy the 1st gym leader's best Pokemon might be Lv 12, but in hard it would be Lv. 16

What do you think?

That would be sick if they did it.

Hydrath
July 3rd, 2010, 08:23 AM
I dont think easy and hard mode should differ by only level of pokemon. That doesn't make things harder, only longer to train and stuff. Changing the A.I. , movesets, and EVs would be better.

og_loc-TATOO
July 3rd, 2010, 09:32 AM
I hope too that the problem is larger than previous versions.
=)

StratusJm
July 3rd, 2010, 10:05 AM
I want this game to be as hard as Etrian Odyssey lol

That is, I want the first patch of grass to have both L1 Pokemon... And L47 Pokemon. There should be aggressive overworld sprites representing Pokemon at L100 that follow you if you move near them and engage when you touch, thereby wiping your team. Gym Leaders should be nigh-unstoppable unless you are overleveled by at least 10 levels or you have an immense amount of luck. Also, blacking out should be removed from the game completely and you should automatically go back to your last saved data when all your Pokemon faint. Oh yeah, and Pokemon should take 18x the current amount of EXP to advance to the next level.

joke? cos i dont think many people would have enogh time on their hands to get their pokemon to 18million xp