PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] No more legendaries! Please!

Arago
May 15th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I'm surprised someone hasn't made this yet. This is one of the things I think about most when I think about what'll happen in this generation.

One of the things I hated the most about Generation IV was the fact that there were so many legionaries that seemed to be acquired mainly through events than anything else. So basically, to the average Pokémon gamer, they were next to impossible to get. Since I know there are very few events in my area that really focus on Pokémon. With that said, one of the things I'm really interested in knowing is how many legendaries are going to be added to this generation. Ever since Generation II, the cover art always focused on the "main" legendary of the game.

So how do you feel legendaries will play out this time around? Do you think there will only be four or five of them like there were in early generations? Or do you feel as though they will continue adding more and more legendaries as the generations progress?

Tyrantrum
May 15th, 2010, 07:04 PM
There should only be at least five legendaries in this game in my opinion. Two to support the different mascots for the two games, and three others for a new trio. Maybe one event legendary as well, and that's it. But, hopefully they won't make a legendary that is known as a "God." They already did that with Mew, then again with Arceus. They don't need that a third "God" Pokémon. >__>

Thorns
May 15th, 2010, 07:06 PM
No no no, I like legendaries.

I hated how there weren't a lot in the previous regions.

Wit more legendaries, there's more combinations and friendships to make.

I say bring on more legendaries, even more than generation 4.

Hamilton
May 15th, 2010, 07:07 PM
at least five? you mean AT THE MOST 5
follow the johto way
2 giant powerful legendaries
3 powerful normal sized legendaries

Mr.Crowley
May 15th, 2010, 07:09 PM
I think the main Legendaries might play around with a theme of Light and Darkness, maybe a new "Light" type will be introduced D: but since when did the theme of the box ever match the theme of the Legendaries anywho. Hopefully they don't spam the game with like 16 Legendaries again, I hate seeing OU teams spammed with Jirachi, Celebi, Azelf, Suicune and Latias already, I swear I'll quit OU if they add more.

Tyrantrum
May 15th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I think I know what I mean. Meaning as in at least five, maybe one or two others.

Waffle-San
May 15th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Personally I liked Hoenn. I mean the 3 main ones. A supporting cast of 3 and then ideally 2 more Pokemon that had to be acquired by some IN GAME event. I'm tired of living in Canada and knowing if I lived below the 49th I could have a Jirachi or a Mew or whatever. >.< As long as they're creative as to how they're acquired. I mean Heatran was a good idea and all but he was in the wrong game cause we already had to climb a mountain so no one felt like doing it again...twice!!

Zorua
May 15th, 2010, 07:13 PM
To be honest, I don't mind the legendaries...much. I pretty much ignored the legend count back in gen IV but I hope it doesn't really get out of hand in Gen V. I'm so hoping this; there doesn't need to be any more legendaries than the necessary extent. D:

All I'm hoping is, like I said, that the legends dont get out of hand. A few is acceptable at most, probably five like Eeveeon said, but also just because it's Gen V and it would be interesting to see what the new legendary Pokemon would look like.

Kirbychu
May 15th, 2010, 07:17 PM
I don't care how many legends we have, let's just make sure they're good ones (Design-wise and battle-wise). Let's not have anymore garbage like Shaymin and Phione. Don't forget that pitiful trio we were given. The three were essentially the exact same Pokemon with a different crown.

yomamathecableguy
May 15th, 2010, 07:19 PM
In my opinion there shouldn't be more than 6-7 legendaries in any generation. There should be 3 games in each generation, so there's 3 legends right there, plus a trio in each one, or 2 couples would be acceptable, and maybe an extra one just to be "mysterious", kind of like Mew for the 1st gen and Celebi for the 2nd. But adding 15 legendaries in the 4th gen? I miss the days where there were a max of 7 per gen..

Guy
May 15th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I mean Heatran was a good idea and all but he was in the wrong game cause we already had to climb a mountain so no one felt like doing it again...twice!!
...and I still haven't caught my Heatran in-game; neither in Diamond or Platinum.

Honestly, if they're going to be going with the version mascots then you can expect at least six legendaries. Two to represent the two versions, three for the game trios, and at least one cute-like Legendary (i.e Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Shaymin). If the pattern continues though, then we can have at least seven, as this next legendary will be the mascot of the third game version.

I personally don't mind having too many legendaries, but of course there needs to be a certain limit where it doesn't get out of control. What we had in DPPt, for me, was okay. HeartGold and SoulSilver just had extra for availability of Third Gen legendaries. Since, DPPt and HG/SS share compatibility with B&W as far as we know, then I wouldn't expect a mass overload of legendaries like we have in the 4th Generation. A moderate amount like we had for the 3rd Gen may be what we get once more, I would think.

Mariah Carey
May 15th, 2010, 07:43 PM
In my opinion, they're legendaries. There are not supposed to be many of them, so what is the point of making tens of legends every new generation? It defeats the point of making them 'legends'.

But this is a consumer world, so GameFreak would do as they please.

yomamathecableguy
May 15th, 2010, 07:46 PM
In my opinion, they're legendaries. There are not supposed to be many of them, so what is the point of making tens of legends every new generation? It defeats the point of making them 'legends'.

I COMPLETELY agree. Very well said.

Zeta Patchouli
May 15th, 2010, 07:59 PM
But other places have other legends. Not all legends are universal. For all we know, people in Isshu don't even know about Mew or Ho-oh, which Kanto and Johto take as legendaries, but worship something else in their place as a legendary. A legendary pokemon is a pokemon with a legend attached to them, or at least that's what it should be. Sure, they're a little more powerful, but to be a legend they have to be, to actually become that legend.

With what I just said, I don't mind legendaries, as long as they don't hide them in wi-fi events. If you have legendaries, then put them in the main game.

While I don't care much about the legendary numbers, this is the ideal amount for me.

Three main legends
A trio of lesser legends
Two side-plot legends

Eight. That's my ideal number.

Timbjerr
May 15th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I've recently come to have an apathetic attitude about legendaries. I rarely catch them and never put them on my teams because I like the idea of using common pokemon to beat the games with.

They can add as many legendaries as they want this time around. Let the under 10 crowd and the fervent collectors have their fun. I'll be building a team out of pokemon that are actually fun to use. XD

Haza
May 15th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I want 3 main Legends. 2 for Black and White versions and a 3rd for the 3rd installment. The usual Trio, cute Legendary (Event), one for a random side-quest, and an awesome Event Pokemon (Similar to Deoxys in awesomeness). A total of 9. Events are good for movies, to hold us over (anime wise) until the next generation.

JP
May 15th, 2010, 08:23 PM
It's true that Sinnoh has lots of Legendaries, but I think that's what the creators were going for when they were working on developing the region. Sinnoh just seems to be that kind of region, a place full of legends and tales.

I think they'll just cut down the amount of Legendaries in this game to something more like the 2nd or 3rd gen. It would be ridiculous to completely remove them though... it wouldn't be a new generation without those unique Legendary Pokemon.

DXrobots
May 15th, 2010, 08:34 PM
a trio, Two or three mascots, and A super tiny legendary. what I hated about genereation 4 was they were so hard to distinguish:

Trio: Azelf, Mesprit, Uxie
Mascots: Giratina, Dialga, Palkia
Super legendary: Shaymin, Manaphy? Phinoe?
Where does that leave the rest?

I don't mind side quest legendaries but have make the stories decent like WTF was Heatran and Phione's story? They seem pretty useless

Dillon_68
May 15th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Just legendaries that support the storyline of the game, no random legends like Cresselia or Heatran.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
May 15th, 2010, 08:39 PM
I want 10 legends in this game, each legend requires a fun task and side quest, and each has it's own legend that revolves around them!

Timbjerr
May 15th, 2010, 08:43 PM
a trio, Two or three mascots, and A super tiny legendary. what I hated about genereation 4 was they were so hard to distinguish:

Hit the nail on the head there buddy. I mean, in GenI, we had Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres. Given the pretense that one was Ice-type, one was Electric-type, and one was Fire-type, it's not hard at all to match their appearance to their name and typing. The same with GenII's trio and GenIII's trio. In GenIV though, we had three Psychic-type pixies with little to distinguish them other than their coloration. D:

GoldvsRed
May 15th, 2010, 09:07 PM
So long as they at least give them back-stories, I'm good. I liked Heatran, but it just didn't seem Legendary enough... Its Pokedex entry made it seem less powerful than a Dragonair, even. It was just a strong Pokemon... We need more like Mewtwo, Ho-Oh, Arceus, and so on. We need to know exactly WHY they're so great to be called "Legendary."

EDIT: I forgot to mention Phione. Dear God, that was a pointless Pokemon. It was just a weaker Manaphy... That was it. C'mon, Game Freak, you could've done way better!

Ai
May 15th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I agree with there being too many legendaries in the previous generation >_>
Phione was completely unnecessary. Heatran in a volcano, sure... If they had a Darkrai there /had/ to be a Cresselia counterpart as well.

Please, just a legendary trio, two for the versions, one for the 'third' game (Black + White = Grey? xD), and /maybe/ one more but it has to have a story and not a runner or anything. D:

FreaKryptid
May 15th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Tis the irony of it all, Without legendaries there wouldnt be a game but if they had a whole bunch it would be to overwhelming. I to believe that there should be at least a trio and two others maybe one more but I dont like these events because not to many people ever do them. so just six would be enough.

Massai
May 15th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I'm putting money on seven legendary pokes. Three to mascot Black/White/Gray, a new Trio, and then the fancy event only poke that mascots the entire generation.

Chocos0
May 15th, 2010, 10:12 PM
One trio + 2 event pokemon would be enough. The Sinnoh Region released too many legendaries, which created Ubers. So, 1 trio is good enough

Toxicroak
May 15th, 2010, 10:22 PM
If there is a legendary it needs to be small and lovable, theres to many uber strong, unlimited wrath pokemon.

loliwin
May 15th, 2010, 10:32 PM
At least all Sinnoh's legendaries werent considered Uber. That'd be hell! XD

I think they'll need seven legendaries. 4 of them will be considered Uber and the other 3 will be considered overused or borderlined, so they'd be as powerful as Metagross, Scizor, Salamence, Yanmega and the likes.

Rei Shingetsu
May 15th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Everyone's talking about legendaries being mascots, but it's not like it'll def. be 100% a legendary being mascot, yes?

hack1
May 15th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Okay. We need:
-Mascot Trio
-Another trio
-Event legendary

That's all.

FloatingClouds
May 16th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Three main and about two subs, I mean you don't even need the subs, like I would not mind at all if it was only Dialga/Palkia and Giratina in the pearl/diamond and platinum versions, they should defiently make just four legends in this game, I mean what the need for so many?

Danikamakaze
May 16th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Soon we'll be filling a full PC box full of legendaries Dx

Thunderpunch
May 16th, 2010, 12:23 AM
There are enough legendaries. I say, put some old previously-unacquirable legendaries, such as Celebi, into Black and White so you don't need to go to events to get them. That way, people can add legendaries to their team that they've never had before, but the number of legendaries doesn't get any higher than it already is.

Ursula
May 16th, 2010, 12:32 AM
I like Legendary pokemon when they're given story and not ~random~. I like ingame events associated with them, and I like them to be epic and worthwhile.
I liked reading about them in the Canalave library, and I like the myth-ness associated with the Arceus plates. :<

So, yeah. More legends, more plot. n_n

Soon we'll be filling a full PC box full of legendaries Dx I already have one XD

follow the johto way
3 powerful normal sized legendariesW-what?
There were more than that.
In GSC there were:
Ho-oh, Lugia, Suicune, Entei, Raikou, and Celebi.
In HG/SS there were:
Ho-oh, Lugia, Suicune, Entei, Raikou, Mewtwo, Articuno, Moltres, Zapdos, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Dialga/Palkia/Giratina, and with wifi events: Latias/Latios. :[

There are enough legendaries. I say, put some old previously-unacquirable legendaries, such as Celebi, into Black and White so you don't need to go to events to get them. That way, people can add legendaries to their team that they've never had before, but the number of legendaries doesn't get any higher than it already is.
They're events for a reason. :p
WiFi/Mystery Gift [like Gamestop/TRU/etc] events for all of the Event Only pokemon have or will take place in the near future. :p

Bluerang1
May 16th, 2010, 01:09 AM
I was thinking, 3 Game mascots, a Trio and an Extra one for fun :P

But 5 would be good too.

Rich Boy Rob
May 16th, 2010, 03:08 AM
I think they should seriously cut down on the amount of legendaries. I mean Heatran, what the hell was the legend about that? It was created from lava. Great. Slugma IS lava for god's sake.

I think we should simply have:
1 Main Legendary (not necessarily a game mascot, RGBY had the starters for mascots)
A trio
1 event mini-legendary (AKA Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Shaymin)

And an extra one unavailable in the first 2 games, but the main legendary in the 3rd installment.

Also I think they need to extend the actual legends which makes them legendary. Heatran, Manaphy and Phione barely classed as legendary in my opinion. The Unown surpassed them in legendary status for god's sake.

Flare Riqueza
May 16th, 2010, 03:10 AM
I think we should have Darkrai and Cresselia, actually.

Then for the 2rd installment....Regigigas?

Sadly, it won't happen, but it'd be cool.

For example, Regigigas could destroy that bridge in Hiun City in the 3rd game...

Avey
May 16th, 2010, 03:51 AM
The Legendaries in generation IV were just disappointing, really. To reiterate what a lot of you have said; there were way too many of them... but also, in comparison to previous generations, the Pokemon themselves; the backstory; the design; all seemed to be incredibly lazy and shallow. Unfulfilled, so to say. I'm praying with Black and White that Pokemon goes back to its roots and realised that five or six Legendaries (with thought put into them) is enough. And please, please realise that event Pokemon are a waste for a lot of people and that they completely screwed up the GTS in Diamond and Pearl. Let us be able to catch most of them in the game itself.

Wishful thinking, huh?

sampika08
May 16th, 2010, 04:22 AM
Like in most. Two main, one ultra main, three special.
eg. Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Uxie, Mespirit, Azelf. No need for Cresselia/Heatran really, nor Arceus, Manaphy.

Looking at the above list I agree. Should be able to catch almost all the pokemon... and some of those made it difficult (which I dont mind). Its just the repetitiveness of catching all the pokemon the same way (rather than meeting them after a quest).

Magic
May 16th, 2010, 04:40 AM
A Legendary used to be that one Pokémon you could catch near the end to help you shoot through the Pokémon league ;)

I agree with most people that there should be a no legends or at least a lot less.

If they include something 'legendary' then we should hear about this legend :\ and from more than just one person! It doesn't really mean anything if a random guy tells you that <blahblah> did <blahblah> long ago...

JAK3
May 16th, 2010, 04:44 AM
The only legendaries that would belong in the game, in my opinion, would be the two supporting legendaries. But when you have all these legendaries like Heatran, and Cresselia, and Uxie and all of them, then it makes me dislike Legendaries, even though I never liked them that much, except for the legendary birds and Mewtwo, I like Kyogre too.

LordDarkrai
May 16th, 2010, 05:12 AM
I think that they should slow down the number of legendary to 3 or 4 for this game.

Porygon Z
May 16th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Surely there will be a Trio of Legendary Pokèmon like always, the two exclusives of each version, maybe Zorua and Zoroark will be the first ever Male or Female Legendaries Pokèmon.
Also another five-six as usual.

~Wind~
May 16th, 2010, 06:22 AM
I say do it Hoenn style, one big awesome trio, one smaller duo and a few minor legendaries dotted about.

Wind

EDIT: just counted the legendaries i n Gen IV: 14, seriously, there are 14 legendaries in Gen IV, WAY too many!

BeachBoy
May 16th, 2010, 08:49 AM
If they do happen to add a lot of legendaries, I want them to flood us with history behind them. I want to feel more back-story, or plot, to these guys. Not just some one-liners or something. :[

Mew~
May 16th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I wouldn't mind really! I enjoy all the events and if you can't get to one thats not game freaks fault! I want at least 2-5 ledgenderies though! This is a new region we are talking about, loads of new pokes and region myths and ledgends n' stuff xD

Vrai
May 16th, 2010, 09:23 AM
How about we try for none? DPPt had enough legendaries to cover like four generations. I'd much rather have a nostalgia trip back to RBY and see the starters on the cover. I mean, if anything, have a central legendary or two, but that's it. Maybe something related to a plot? :0

The Cynic
May 16th, 2010, 09:37 AM
How about we try for none? DPPt had enough legendaries to cover like four generations. I'd much rather have a nostalgia trip back to RBY and see the starters on the cover. I mean, if anything, have a central legendary or two, but that's it. Maybe something related to a plot? :0

While I agree with you, it is unfortunately a pipe dream. Nintendo have to draw in the people whose idea of fun is Action Replay-ing a shiny Darkrai to level 100 and just rampaging through the story with a motley crew of ubers.

Those who play the game "properly" will still buy it regardless of what is on the cover.

NatureKeeper
May 16th, 2010, 09:37 AM
[css-div="padding: 2px 2px 2px 2px; border-color: red blue; border-style:solid; background-color: #000000"]More.

More challenges, more fun.[/css-div]

The Cynic
May 16th, 2010, 09:48 AM
[css-div="padding: 2px 2px 2px 2px; border-color: red blue; border-style:solid; background-color: #000000"]More.

More challenges, more fun.[/css-div]

The obtaining of the likes of Manaphy, Phione, Darkrai, Arceus, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Regigigas, Celebi, Deoxys, Jirachi etc. in Gen IV alone is not a challenge. It's just a pain. You'd get more satisfaction if there was only one legendary. Do you remeber catching your first Mewtwo in RBY? Felt good didn't it? Because you had to wade through that dungeon of high-leveled pokes and also because it was the only legendary (Mew is just frustrating). It isn't a challenge to turn up to a Toys R Us. There should, IMO, only be 1 main legendary catchable per game. Plus, to keep with tradition, a legendary trio (eg. Lake guadrians, legendary birds etc.). That makes the games better. But hey, that's only my two cents.

Azure
May 16th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I think the designs of the Legendaries are getting abit out of hand;

http://sites.google.com/site/rizardonwifi/rizardon-news/pokemondiamondandpearlshayminevent/Shaymin%20Sky%20Forme.png

I think they have enough legendaries already.

coconutberry
May 16th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I don't mind legendaries, I just hope that there aren't too many. Sinnoh was just ridiculous... 13? Seriously?

In my opinion, there will probably be...

-Three mascots for Black/White and the third game
-A trio
-Two or three "roaming" legendaries like the Beasts or Latios/Latias
-A really cute one like Celebi or Manaphy (which may be combined with one of the previous catagories)
-Some sort of event Pokemon

...Honestly, though, I don't care about legendaries anyway. I prefer to use common Pokemon, thanks.

A Pixy
May 16th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I never really cared for the legendaries. The Dragon, Bird, Beast, Golem and Weather trios never really interested me.

Agent Clank
May 16th, 2010, 05:04 PM
ok I want more Legendaries.
and I think they should make a Bug Legendary.
It be a Giant Ant named Antlor of Antlord.

May 16th, 2010, 05:08 PM
ok I want more Legendaries.
and I think they should make a Bug Legendary.
It be a Giant Ant named Antlor of Antlord.
A bug legendary sounds like a excellent Idea it could be a gigantic ancient bug... because believe it or not bugs in the past were humongous that they make us look like bugs:shocked:.

Pikataro
May 16th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I sure hope they only have about three or four more legendaries. After Sinnoh, I'm sick of so many! Bring on the normal Pokemon, we need more! Besides, I'm not getting Black and White until 2011.....

The Sly Fox
May 16th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I don't have a problem with legendaries, I just hope they keep the amount of legendaries for this generation under control. I think the max amount should be like 4, maybe 5.

Pikataro
May 16th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I agree, Toshiro. Not like, 15, and all from events.

TheAppleFreak
May 16th, 2010, 05:52 PM
6 legendaries. One uber for each version of the game (Black, White, and Grey?), and then a trio of OU legendaries like the Golem trio, the Beast trio, and the Lake trio. Everything else, like Heatran and Shaymin and whatnot, would be uber-rare pseudolegendaries.

Narcissus Secret
May 16th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I think that they should keep it low, but it mainly matters if the legendary has good back story or not. Also, they make legendaries that don't need be legendaries/shouldn't be. Like... Shaymin. In the Anime, there was field of them or whatever. So.. yeah :/

Vrai
May 16th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I think that they should keep it low, but it mainly matters if the legendary has good back story or not. Also, they make legendaries that don't need be legendaries/shouldn't be. Like... Shaymin. In the Anime, there was field of them or whatever. So.. yeah :/
I would like to correct you by changing your *insert pointless legendary here* to Phione. Nothing is more pointless than that. ):

Illusione-Tempus
May 16th, 2010, 10:42 PM
For me, we're getting more legendary Pokemon every gen. I would rrather like it if there is at least:

- a trio which has a role in the game [No point with the Regis...]
- a set of 3 as game mascots
- an event legend

If GF is going to go create lots of event legendaries, then prepare for a whooping amount of Pokemon movies

Redrup
May 16th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Can't say it really bothers me too much. I never use legendaries in my teams. I don't even think I did back on RBY when I was too young for a moral high ground.

~Azure-
May 16th, 2010, 11:34 PM
I don't want a spam of legendaries again :\.5 Maximum simple as that.

Weber
May 17th, 2010, 12:07 AM
i hope there arent to many becuase if there are alot does that mean they are really legendary, i mean think about it, if there are 11 legendaries are they really legends or just mythic pokemon? or just really rare, any one get my point?

have 3 legendaries to be different, let the starters be on black and white and let gray or rainbow or what ever they're going to call it have the "uber" legend.

the reason i say rainbow might be the third one is that black is color and white is void of color, and rainbow has everything, idk just saying, when they had red and blue they didnt make purple did they?

Guillermo
May 17th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Only legendary Pokemon I've ever really liked are Latias, Latios and Suicune. So meh, don't really care how many they make.

xDaisuke0
May 17th, 2010, 04:15 AM
This game seems...pure. Dark/Light Black/White so just TWO contrasting Legendaries are perfect here...

Swinoob
May 17th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Unfortunately, I figure that Game Freak will try to make more and more legendaries every time a new game comes out, like Manaphy and Phione, which were really just sales boosters for the Pokemon Ranger series. Legendaries are supposed to be few and scarce. If they release as many new legendaries as they did in the Fourth Generation, that will no longer be the case.

vibratingcat
May 17th, 2010, 04:45 AM
dont rly mind about legendaries. make an awesome dark legendary and i'll b happy. (one that doesnt require events, godamit darkrai....)

Porygon Z
May 17th, 2010, 04:48 AM
Think about this...

I Gen: 5 Legendaries
II Gen: 6 Legendaries
III Gen: 10 Legendaries
IV Gen: 14 Legendaries

For a total of 35 Legendaries.

I hope that V Gen doesn't have more Legendaries than IV.
Just hope that we CAN'T arrive at 50 Legendaries or similar :D

Wings Don't Cry
May 17th, 2010, 04:50 AM
I'd say the more the merrier then we have more to do in the game but don't make it retarded like the Regis. I actually want some plot and interaction with people when I go after a side quest legendary and I don't want 5 roaming ones in one game either.

Cherrim
May 17th, 2010, 05:10 AM
I think it'd be weird if they had no legendaries but ugh, not another case of 15 in a game. That is not fun. :/ I got sick of them in Gen 4 because they were all over. It wasn't mysterious or even interesting to catch a Legendary Pokémon anymore--it's more annoying than exciting. The ones that show up in the main plot are fine, and I didn't mind the other ones too much, but then you have Manaphy, Regigigas, Giratina (in D/P), Shaymin, Darkrai, etc. who had no story to go along with them (unless you got the items via Mystery Gift which they didn't do until what, last year?). I just thought it was ridiculous. Also SO MANY ROAMING ONES. Stop artificially extending the game by making me spend hours chasing a Legendary I don't even want. >_>

I'd be fine with the typical group of 3, one "exclusive" for each version, and then one final one they can concentrate on for the inevitable third game in the trio. Anything more will be overkill.

Alas, I expect there'll be as many or more legendaries than gen 4 had, if trends are to be followed. :/

Shiny Quagsire
May 17th, 2010, 05:49 AM
My answer? NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

Just use old legendaries, or none at all! RGBY Never used pokemon that were legendaries as the main pokemon! Never!
If they decide to use legendaries, use like cresselia and darkrai or croagunk and snorunt!

Shiari Xero
May 17th, 2010, 07:36 AM
I personally like the legends. They are fun to play with, and collect, and just have. And other than the normal gameplay, i dont use legends anywhere else (such as the metagame, since they ruin it). I dont think they should stop making legends just because some people will cry and quit the metagame cause they are there. Its a game, which Legendary pokemon happen to be a staple of. I love all the back stories to the legends, like Ho-oh and Lugias towers, the legendary beasts getting brought back to life by ho-oh. I also love how deep the story of Sinnohs pokemon was, The dragon trio, the lake trio, and then the legends you get through events.

I say more, just because it adds more to the story line, and it makes the game more enjoyable. Not because some noobs want to use the legends to try and pwn everything in the metagame. Think about the story yo.

Porygon-Z
May 17th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I was under the impression that they were just recycling the legendary dogs for this game's legendaries.

Sammuthegreat
May 17th, 2010, 07:56 AM

100% agree. Best suggestion I've seen on this thread. I live in the UK so I've never been able to get hold of event Pokemon, which just seems unfair really. It'd be ok if the Legendaries were really really rare but I still had a mathematical chance, however small, of catching them; but I'm not going to fly to the USA to get one Pokemon, so I'm losing out really, and there's nothing I can do about it.

Also, 14 Legendaries - or however many there were in Sinnoh - is just ridiculous. Weren't there only just over 100 new Pokemon added in Gen IV? That means more than 1 in 10 Gen IV Pokemon was Legendary... Completely devalues their legendary status when they're so numerous.

My two cents: have starters on the box, or two "standard-bearer" Pokemon - like Lucario and Munchlax were for Gen IV. Then have 2 main legendaries and a trio - preferably something new like Bug, Fighting and Rock. Then MAYBE a third main legendary for the Gen V Platinum equivalent.

Rich Boy Rob
May 17th, 2010, 08:20 AM
My two cents: have starters on the box, or two "standard-bearer" Pokemon - like Lucario and Munchlax were for Gen IV. Then have 2 main legendaries and a trio - preferably something new like Bug, Fighting and Rock. Then MAYBE a third main legendary for the Gen V Platinum equivalent.

Good idea. I don't really think having the starters would work as they have nothing to do with the titles, but perhaps Zoroark & *insert as yet unreleased Psychic type*, as they would be Dark & (effectively) Light type.

Okami Chi
May 17th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I want legends, but as you stated; not to the point that they are coming out our ears.

dooxer
May 17th, 2010, 09:46 AM
what would be simples and most original would be to ONLY have the three elemetal things, actually make them powerfull, give them a catch rate of like 3 (rayquaza) and... you can only get one of them per version.

ALWAYS I have devalued the elemental trio since you can get them all, anytime you like. I'm thinking that being able to catch only one element in a game would triple the value of the complete set.
And DONT RECYCLE OLD TRIOS!!!!! I'll bet you can do some timemachine-trade thing again to get all the other legendaries you want. There are enough lol.

GlitchCity
May 17th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Actually most of the "legendaries" introduced in generation IV werent really classified as legendary :\ I just call them really rare pokemon.

For this generation it should be the sub-trio, the main 2 legendaries, and the 3rd installment of the legendaries. And maybe 1 or 2 event legendaries (hopefully it could unlock something more than just a route, maybe a new sub-region, sevii islands anyone?)

Blubber300
May 17th, 2010, 05:34 PM
A good setup for me would be this:
light and dark type legendaries (hopefully available in both games like in HGSS)
a "cute" legendary
3 or 4 movie legendaries over WIFI
a crystal onix for an orange island-related sidequest (fingers crossed)
a monster-like legendary (kind of like darkrai) for the 3rd game to focus on

Kenaku
May 17th, 2010, 05:38 PM
In Sinnoh you have 'THE CREATER OF THE EFFIN' UNIVERSE'! *cough* Sorry, but seriously, how can you get much more powerful than God, basically?

BW should just have the local legends.

deathrider24
May 17th, 2010, 07:10 PM
There should be three main ones and one super mega death one like Deoxys or Mewtwo.

Cyberglass
May 17th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I'm all for less legendaries, but if the past games are any indication the bare minimum GameFreak would even consider adding is 7: three mascots, the lesser "legendary trio", and at least one cute event pokemon. I hope it stops here, or with maybe one more in-game legend, but there is no way they would ever add any less.

Astinus
May 17th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I really don't care about the amount, but I do want more back story for whatever ones they do introduce. The ones in Sinnoh weren't too memorable because there was nothing to make them "real", in the sense of the Pokemon world. No amazing stories, like the Legendary Beasts, Ho-Oh, and the Burned Tower. Just a simple throwaway line that didn't even strike those who read it with the Pokemon's power.

And whatever legendaries there are, no more wandering ones. It just took forever to find one, and once you find it and catch it, it's not even one of those great ones anymore. It's more of an annoyance than a challenge. Same with the events.

I do hope that whatever legendaries there are, that there's the basic backbone of previous generations (the trios and the "mascots") and of course the back stories that make them deserving of the legendary title.

Vrai
May 17th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I was under the impression that they were just recycling the legendary dogs for this game's legendaries.

No, the shiny legendary dogs are received by going to see that one movie or something in Japan. Doubtful that they'd be used as the actual legendaries.

Niprop
May 17th, 2010, 09:00 PM
follow the johto way
3 powerful normal sized legendaries

You forgot Celebi.

Anyways, I'd say several at most would balance things out enough, as Pokemon without much of a back-story (looking at you, Heatran) could easily be reused, and Darkrai/Cresselia seem to match the Dark/Light theme as well, though certainly not as the "main" legendaries of the game.

WeissRaben
May 18th, 2010, 02:39 AM
I miss the good old times in which you found elements of every legendary pokemon all over the game. RBY: the Birds seen from the routes and the whole concept of the Cinnabar Mansion, for example. GSC: the two towers and the Forest Shrine. RSE started slipping a bit: serious background for the main trio, and meh appearances for the others. Same for DPP: but here, 3/14 is quite a low quality rate. The other trio is well named, but as others said...well they are identical.

So yes. Back to old time, 5 legendaries with a solid background plz?

Mudkipzrock
May 18th, 2010, 07:13 AM
I want 9 legendaries
MAKING SURE THEY HAVE GOOD STORY LINES
NOT LIKE D/P

3 will be a land trio like The dogs
3 will be a sky/air trio like the birds
AND A Super Cool 70 lvs Rayquaze, Kyogre And Groudon types
Like Land, Ocean And Sky
Lithosphere Hydrosphere Atmosphere :)

TheNewRocketMovement
May 18th, 2010, 07:15 AM
"Now legendary means nothing to me, because one of a kind creatures add up to over thirty"

Lady Weavile
May 18th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I miss the good old times in which you found elements of every legendary pokemon all over the game. RBY: the Birds seen from the routes and the whole concept of the Cinnabar Mansion, for example. GSC: the two towers and the Forest Shrine. RSE started slipping a bit: serious background for the main trio, and meh appearances for the others. Same for DPP: but here, 3/14 is quite a low quality rate. The other trio is well named, but as others said...well they are identical.

Agree. I love legends around Legendary Pokémon. If Game Freak makes Legendaries that don't have a serious role in the games, they seem so pointless. It's only a device to make the new Generation more "cool" as the previous. Commercial.

I'm all for less legendaries, but if the past games are any indication the bare minimum GameFreak would even consider adding is 7: three mascots, the lesser "legendary trio", and at least one cute event pokemon. I hope it stops here, or with maybe one more in-game legend, but there is no way they would ever add any less.

I'm afraid this is the hard reality.

abnegation
May 18th, 2010, 10:57 AM
I always wondered how Arceus was going to be surpassed. I didn't think that there would be any more pokemon after it. It would only make sense that there wouldn't be, but in any case, I'm looking forward to seeing how many will be introduced this time around. I love the fact that there is once again, evolving legendaries in the Zoro's, it in many ways, adds more depth to pokemon. "Are we to believe that pokemon who haven't evolved are perfect beings?" - which was said about legendary pokemon, but the fact that we have Phione and now Zoroak, means that that statement can be contradicted.

For me, I like the stories linked behind the legendary pokemon as much as I do the actual pokemon themselves. The Red Chain involving the trio; Uxie, Azelf and Mespirit, is personally one of my favourite legends. Possibly why I liked Gen.4 so much, I enjoy the myths and stories behind the legendary pokemon rather than just thinking of them as "stronger" pokemon.

I hope to see a handfull of legendaries in B&W, not as much as what were in D/P/P but something to just make the game more interesting. I think they'll really have to step their game up to surpass what D/P/P had in the line of the legendary pokemon and their influence on the plot.

Angelroid
May 18th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Please, No more then 4 legendaries.

Rich Boy Rob
May 18th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I love the fact that there is once again, evolving legendaries in the Zoro's, it in many ways, adds more depth to pokemon. "Are we to believe that pokemon who haven't evolved are perfect beings?" - which was said about legendary pokemon, but the fact that we have Phione and now Zoroak, means that that statement can be contradicted.

Why is it everyone seems to think Zoroark is legendary? I mean I thought it was pretty obvious that it was unlikely to be a legendary. It's basically Lucario MK II, introduced early on, starred in a movie and had it's pre-evo announced immediately after.

abnegation
May 18th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I was sure the Zoro's were legendary after hearing of it's appearance in the movie, seems I was ill-informed. Well in that case scratch that.

After seeing the Zoro's though, I have high expectations for the legendary designs if they're only regular pokemon, even if Zoroark does look somewhat like Lucario.

Demigod
May 18th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I hate legendaries that are not from Gen 1&2.

If only it wasn't about the money, they wouldn't ruin the show with all the crappy new generations.

BleuVII
May 18th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Why is it everyone seems to think Zoroark is legendary? I mean I thought it was pretty obvious that it was unlikely to be a legendary. It's basically Lucario MK II, introduced early on, starred in a movie and had it's pre-evo announced immediately after.

I agree. I don't think that Zoroark is legendary, though I wouldn't mind it being a mascot.

And there is a huge debate over whether or not Heatran is even Legendary. It's allowed into the Battle Tower, for goodness sakes. Also, I thought Cresselia/Darkrai were good ideas, but they just looked... stupid. I would never put them on a box cover.

I agree with what most people have said.
Have 2-3 mascots, one trio, and 1-2 special pokemon.

Samme!
May 18th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Honestly, as long as aren't any old legends, I wouldn't care how many Legendary Pokemon Game Freak decided to place in Isshu. Legendaries most definitely fuel the plot lines of the games and I feel like if there were only a few legends, let's say 4, there would just be something missing. That said, I'm not an advocator of creating every single kind of legendary possible, I just want there to be numerous and creative legendaries that can have an interesting story line behind them to make a better playing experience. So all in all, I'm fine with legendaries, as long as they aren't being reused from past generations. n3n

Charizard632
May 18th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Oh yes. There will be legendaries. However, there will only be 7 legendaries.

Kanto- 5 Legendaries
Johto- 6 Legendaries
Hoenn- 10 Legendaries
Sinnoh- 13 Legendaries

The chart is not constant, but it is growing until now!

5th Generation Region- 7 Legendaries.

The First one can revive things that are already dead. It can even turn meat into an animal!
The Second one can restore items that are either broken or destroyed. However, it can't restore things that are bigger than 1000 cubic feet. (Examples: A Nintendo DS, A Television, A File Cabinet, A computer (It can even restore data!), Wooden Furniture)
The Third one however can restore items that are bigger than 1000 cubic feet. (Examples: A house, A school, A skyscraper)
This trio is responsible for restoring life and posessions after natural disasters occour.

Main Legendaries

The Main Legendary for Pokemon Black Version is a Satan like pokemon.

Type: Fire/Dark

HP: 100
Attack: 170
Defense: 70
Sp. Atk: 130
Sp. Def: 70
Speed: 140

The other legendary, however, is a pokemon just like God, but not Arceus.

HP: 100
Attack: 70
Defense: 130
Sp. Atk: 70
Sp. Def: 170
Speed: 140

The cute legendary looks like Kirlia, only more elegant, smaller, and charming.

Stats are all 100, just like the other cute legendaries

The ultra-uber legendary pokemon is named Arceoxes. Its 2 abilities are Multitype and Energy Restore, an ability where if the PP level drops down to 1, that move's PP is fully restored. It only has 1 move. Judgement.

Stats

HP: 1
Attack: 1
Defense: 1
Sp. Atk: 300
Sp. Def: 1
Speed: 300

It is indestructable, unless you or Arceoxes does this.

1. Arceoxes holds the life orb
2. Arceoxes has a status problem
3. Arceoxes enters an entry hazard like Spikes
4. You use an attack that always goes first (Quick Attack)
5. Arceoxes misses its attack, or fails its attack.
6. Arceoxes didn't wipe out the pokemon completely (This may happen if Arceoxes's attack is not very effective against the opponent and the foe has a great Special Defense and/or HP)
7. A double battle where Arceoxes is teamed up with a slow or weak pokemon (The opponent will always aim for Arceoxes)

WeissRaben
May 19th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Honestly, as long as aren't any old legends, I wouldn't care how many Legendary Pokemon Game Freak decided to place in Isshu. Legendaries most definitely fuel the plot lines of the games and I feel like if there were only a few legends, let's say 4, there would just be something missing. That said, I'm not an advocator of creating every single kind of legendary possible, I just want there to be numerous and creative legendaries that can have an interesting story line behind them to make a better playing experience. So all in all, I'm fine with legendaries, as long as they aren't being reused from past generations. n3n

Yes...WHEN they fuel the plot. How the Regis do that, though? And Latios and Latias (which, I'll have to admit, are cool nevertheless)? And Cresselia, and Darkrai, and Phione and Manaphy and Deoxis and what do you want?
Legendaries ARE good. But please (and Arceus?), WHY should you catch random legends around that do nothing but wait for you to come and catch them?

DarcyBangBang
May 19th, 2010, 11:17 AM
There are like no events where I am >.<
And I really hope they dont make MORE legendary pokemon
Like out of 450 pokemon how many of them are "Legendary" >.>
Like maybe 15% of them?

Aureol
May 19th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I don't even care about events, I could always cheat for event Pokemon (event Pokemon are usually banned in competitive play, anyways). It's just that the term "legendary" is finding less appeal to me. In 1st Gen., we got 5. Gen. 2, we got 6. Gen. 3, we got 10. Gen. 4, we got 14. How many legendaries are actually legendary? I know, this isn't the animal kingdom where there are billions of different kinds, but out of 493, I think 35 of them is a bit over-the-top. Besides, what is gonna come after Arceus? At this point, all I want to even acknowledge is a region trio.

Thorns
May 19th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I don't get wh yeveryone seems to not want new legendaries. Suyre, you can't use them, but they're some kind of cool and it would be areal shame if we only got 5 or less, in my opinion. But it wouldn't cause me to not get the game. hoenstly, I rather use common Pokemon, but just for the sake of it, I would like more legendaries. PLEASE.

Norisom
May 19th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I actually think they should keep adding legendaries. It gives you more to do and catch.

Waki Tobaye
May 19th, 2010, 06:10 PM
No no no, I like legendaries.

I hated how there weren't a lot in the previous regions.

Wit more legendaries, there's more combinations and friendships to make.

I say bring on more legendaries, even more than generation 4.
Oh my god...

Wow, very well said. It pretty much sums up what I think xD

Yusshin
May 19th, 2010, 09:45 PM
:| No more legendaries please!

Use one that got barely and screen-time / game development! Like Celebi and Jirachi. Celebi was only in for hax / HGSS events, and Jirachi isn't in except for Pokemon Box and Pearl events. They need their own spotlight >_>

Conor
May 20th, 2010, 03:30 AM
I think they could have Darkrai & Shaymin/arceus as black & white mascot ;o
no need for new legendarys just re-use 4th gen ones that aint been fully utilized yet!

Volroc
May 20th, 2010, 03:45 AM
just seven this time please.

D/P/Pt gave me the impression they were rushin as many ideas for legendaries as possible in fear of pokemon endin -_-"

so this time, the trio, the mascot trio, & our resident mew/celebi/jirachi/manaphy lol
and a whole mass load of fire, ice,& grass types :3

Garland
May 20th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Keep your ranting to yourself, grow some balls and get used to it. Game Freak are obviously going to add MOAR legendaries with every single game, and there's nothing we can do about it except burn down Game Freak's studios (highly unlikely) or stage a mass boycott of the next series of games (they'll still sell). So we're screwed. Yippee.

Dragonika
May 20th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Its inevitable there will be legendarys how many no one knows but i have a slight suspicion there will be a trio or if not a duo (( REMEMBER IT SAYS ARCEUS CAME FROM AN EGG MUST OF TAKEN A POKEMON TO MAKE THE EGG ARCEUS'S MUM !!! LOL ) :)

Masterge77
May 20th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Actually, it is necisarry for the game to have legendaries, it's basic Pokemon formula, I just do not want too many like in the last generation, which consisted 1/4 of the gen 4 Pokemon, we should have at least 8 legends in generation 5: the legendary trio, the B/W version mascots, the third version mascot, a random post-hall of fame legendary and two event legends- one being the small, ultra-kawaii legend, and the other being the powerful, uber-legend. In gen 4, we had 14 legendaries: The legendary trio (Uxie/Mesprit/Azelf), the D/P version mascots (Dialga/Palkia), the Platinum version mascot (Giratina Origin), 3 random post-hall of fame legends (Heatran/Regigigas/Creselia, Giratina excluded due to Platinum), and 5, I repeat, 5 event legends (Manaphy/Phione/Darkrai/Shaymin/Arceus), that's way too many legends for one generation

Haza
May 20th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I actually don't care if there a lot... I'd rather there be too many than too little ya know?

RyanGT
May 20th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I am completely on board with this. I feel like the rarity factor drops the more legendaries there are. It just doesn't feel like it did the first time you caught one of the legendary birds or Mewtwo in red/blue.

SonicThrust
May 20th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I'd love it if there were only 5 new legendaries added this gen, maybe 7 would be okay, but I'm guessing 12 minimum.

Kingler5
May 20th, 2010, 03:55 PM
counting Zorua and Zoruark, i'm putting my money (which I don't have) on 10 legendaries.

NikoBelic999
May 20th, 2010, 04:18 PM
NO FREAKIN MORE LEGENDARIES!

They make the game worthless! If you just had legendaries in a team, and they were level 70, and had their best moves, then you would almost always win.

Take all legendaries out! Even Minor Legendaries!

LikeUberHackFan
May 21st, 2010, 03:25 PM
Well I'm new here, but It's is said that the God of pokemon was born from an Egg of perpetual power, so what if the new pokemon game introduces the Parents that created this egg (symbolising 3 people *cough* pokemon in one God), Or just one pokemon that could symbolise the creation of the Universe AKA The Big Bang and from that out Flew the Egg that contained Arceus and from there he created everything else.

Woah that would be AWESOMAGE

Storm_has_formed
May 21st, 2010, 03:43 PM
i would rather no more god pokemon...

LikeUberHackFan
May 21st, 2010, 03:46 PM
Same. I realy think Arceus was pokemon's biggest mistake but I have fears that there may be more God standerd pokemon to come. And maybe these pokemon will have new types which would REALY mes up the metagame..

who knows though a few new types might not hurt

Bunny69
May 21st, 2010, 03:49 PM
You know, nothing ever says Arceus is god. Nothing ever says Arceus created the universe. Arceus created the Sinnoh region, and created Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina. Nothing much more.

So i think the Black / White legendaries wont be related to Arceus and will be original.

May 21st, 2010, 04:12 PM
You know, nothing ever says Arceus is god. Nothing ever says Arceus created the universe. Arceus created the Sinnoh region, and created Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina. Nothing much more.

So i think the Black / White legendaries wont be related to Arceus and will be original.He did create the univese, the sinnoh legend says this Pokemon was born from a egg in a vast emptiness with is like gods from all myths were born that created the universe. The new legendary will most likely not have anything to do with Arceus and creations.

Toxicroak
May 21st, 2010, 05:43 PM
Then what pokemon created the parents of the godly egg?

Xanatos13
May 21st, 2010, 05:48 PM
I think that would be a cool direction to take it in personally. I want to know how everything was created. ^_^

juanhbk1
May 21st, 2010, 05:49 PM
Arceus was a mistake.... I mean how can you beat the creator of the universe?

PiPVoda
May 21st, 2010, 05:53 PM
He did create the univese, the sinnoh legend says this Pokemon was born from a egg in a vast emptiness with is like gods from all myths were born that created the universe. The new legendary will most likely not have anything to do with Arceus and creations.
which means the new legendary should be so 'legendary' after all. I mean yeah Sinnoh's legendaries were great (well most), and it will forever be known as the region with the most legndaries but black and white should have simple legendaries. You can't get any bigger than Arceus being the god of pokemon and Dialga and Palkia creating space and time. Perhaps we won't even get any new legendaries or just a few. Unless Nintendo goes with the big bang theory--and I doubt they will cause it will just confuse younger players--or uses some other theory from astronomy. There is always the day (harness of energy a.k.a. light that allows all life to exist, think how our sun gives life to our planet) and night, idk about this but I did learn in biology of light and dark photosynthesis so they could get a little sciencey on us :D

I think Arceus was sort of a mistake too. I think Arceus should have just been the god of the sinnoh region, maybe the one that created it (though this could conflict w/ Kyogre and Groudon). Say the pokemon regions were all created during different eras and periods of time with legendary pokemon being the first to inhabit them, thus bringing life to the region. Say the pokemon world was once connected on one super-continent though slowly drifted apart and that is how the variety of pokemon came to be, etc.

Esper
May 21st, 2010, 07:19 PM
There's no reason the new region can't have its own creator-of-the-universe pokemon. The real world has a hundred gods who all somehow created everything while never mentioning the other 99. The games could do the same. You'd have to stop taking all that creator talk literally, but would that be so bad?

Timbjerr
May 21st, 2010, 07:25 PM
...or you guys could all think about this: They're legendary pokemon because the legends of their exploits are just that...legends.

Arceus is a powerful pokemon, yes, but not invincible in battle. Perhaps he's just an extremely powerful and rare pokemon with limited ability to create life, but ancient civilizations in Sinnoh portrayed him as a god for their convenience, and the stigma stuck.

I personally hate using this analogy because it contradicts what I really believe, but think of it as how ancient people in the real world couldn't explain the origins of the earth, so they pinned it on their mythological being of choice, be it the judeo-christian God, the greco-roman Gods, or the various native American gods, despite the fact that these beings may or may not exist and their powers may or may not be highly overstated.

As I see it, Isshu's set of legendary pokemon could all have parallels to previous generations because of the real-world phenomenon of every major civilization having its own set of beliefs and mythology. Isshu is apparently a distant land with a completely different culture and set of mythology.

Where Sinnohans believe Arceus created the universe in their mythology, Isshuans may believe that the GenV big legendary created the universe within their mythology

Where Hoennites believe Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza created the balance of the land and the sea in their mythology, Isshuans might believe that their legendary duo created the land and the sea in their mythology.

etc...

Waffle-San
May 21st, 2010, 09:00 PM
He did create the univese, the sinnoh legend says this Pokemon was born from a egg in a vast emptiness with is like gods from all myths were born that created the universe. The new legendary will most likely not have anything to do with Arceus and creations.

Meh, different sources different beliefs. GF could add 50 more (G/g)od Pokemon and still be "correct," in doing so. I mean he could just be one (G/g)od in a complex overworld. Heck he could be Hercules to Sinnoh. New legendaries probably won't have anything to do with Arceus but they could and by no means would they be wrong in creating said Pokemon. People read way to much (or not enough, however you want to put it) into Arceus' God status.

There's no reason the new region can't have its own creator-of-the-universe pokemon. The real world has a hundred gods who all somehow created everything while never mentioning the other 99. The games could do the same. You'd have to stop taking all that creator talk literally, but would that be so bad?

...or you guys could all think about this: They're legendary pokemon because the legends of their exploits are just that...legends.

Arceus is a powerful pokemon, yes, but not invincible in battle. Perhaps he's just an extremely powerful and rare pokemon with limited ability to create life, but ancient civilizations in Sinnoh portrayed him as a god for their convenience, and the stigma stuck.

I personally hate using this analogy because it contradicts what I really believe, but think of it as how ancient people in the real world couldn't explain the origins of the earth, so they pinned it on their mythological being of choice, be it the judeo-christian God, the greco-roman Gods, or the various native American gods, despite the fact that these beings may or may not exist and their powers may or may not be highly overstated.

As I see it, Isshu's set of legendary pokemon could all have parallels to previous generations because of the real-world phenomenon of every major civilization having its own set of beliefs and mythology. Isshu is apparently a distant land with a completely different culture and set of mythology.

Where Sinnohans believe Arceus created the universe in their mythology, Isshuans may believe that the GenV big legendary created the universe within their mythology

Where Hoennites believe Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza created the balance of the land and the sea in their mythology, Isshuans might believe that their legendary duo created the land and the sea in their mythology.

etc...

Beat me too it. :P Exactly that!

ChrisTom
May 21st, 2010, 09:14 PM
Here is my Fanon-theory involving Arceus:

Mew is involved. Mew (once categorized as more then just the "New Species Pokemon") is what I call "The Infinity Pokemon". Mew represents infinite capabilities, infinite happiness, as well as infinite awe. I also believe that Mew has existed infinitely, existing in all concievable time points, making it older than time itself. It did die however. During the end of it's life, it went back in time to the "before time" and in it's dying sadness, layed the egg of Arceus and it's OWN EGG. That's right. Mew layed it's own egg. That's almost as twisted as Fry being his own grandfather (Futurama reference). So I believe Arceus is the Spawn of Mew and so is Mew.

As for the new legendary Pokemon, I think there should be a Yin and Yang themed Pokemon duo. One Pokemon who controls Evil and Darkness, and one Pokemon which represents Justice and Good. And I think a Cosmo based Pokemon would be nice. By that I mean a Pokemon which represents the night sky and therefore the universe.

Anyways, good question! I hope my fanon clears a few things up!

With all regards,

-ChrisTom

Weber
May 21st, 2010, 09:34 PM
bibarrel should be a legendary considering how awesome it is, it can learn just about any hm besides fly, seriously bibarrel> Arceus.

creating a god pokemon is the biggest mistake they have ever made, but i want to see if/how they are going to undig themselves out of this hole. (almost used naughty language)

vibratingcat
May 21st, 2010, 10:03 PM
i reckon we should hav a satan pokemon in pokemon black. that would be maad. XD

ChrisTom
May 21st, 2010, 11:04 PM
^ ^ ^
That's what I was thinking of to a more extreme extent. Basically a Pokemon representing pure evil and resentment, and a Pokemon representing right and just.

thedgr05
May 22nd, 2010, 01:53 PM

I support his idea. It could be best to use mew/celebi as White/Black legendaries
And to use Deoxys for the 3rd game. Instead of adding 3, 7, or 10 new legendaries.

EDIT: As for new legendaries, just 3 more will be ok, like Ying/Yang pokemon and the Karma pokemon. Assuming the new region being in China it does fit.

Eurydice
May 22nd, 2010, 02:00 PM
i dont know if anyone has noticed this but they always add however many were in the last game plus an extra four (not counting gen 1) generation 2 had 6 legendaries, generation 3 had 10 and generation 4 had 14 total legendaries added. so if they continue it would be 18 new legendaries for this generation :/

i dont know if that pattern is true but i hope not, i dont want that many new legendaries, at the most 5 new ones

batmon
May 22nd, 2010, 02:09 PM
They went WAY overboard with 14 legendaries, I just hope at most they do 5 or 6.

Cyndahog
May 22nd, 2010, 02:17 PM
Which came first: The Arceus or the egg?

But seriously, yes, <14 please. But we all know too well, there'll be about 17 this gen, as much as we hate to admit it.
"When everything's legendary, nothing will be" < QFT

Aureol
May 22nd, 2010, 03:23 PM

Wow... a new, philosophical question enters the realm. Wait a minute, didn't Arceus come from the egg? There goes that :\

Anyways, I really like the way Timbjerr put it, what with the legendary acts being just the stuff of legends and not much more. Because there are other legendaries that can easily counter Arceus (given the set Arceus has isn't specifically crafted to counter said counter :P), so it's kind of strange thinking that the god of Pokemon is indeed conquerable...

May 22nd, 2010, 05:35 PM
Wow... a new, philosophical question enters the realm. Wait a minute, didn't Arceus come from the egg? There goes that :\

Anyways, I really like the way Timbjerr put it, what with the legendary acts being just the stuff of legends and not much more. Because there are other legendaries that can easily counter Arceus (given the set Arceus has isn't specifically crafted to counter said counter :P), so it's kind of strange thinking that the god of Pokemon is indeed conquerable...all this means is that Arceus is a conquerable god like Uranus, and Chronos in Greek mythology Chronos overthrew uranus, Zeus overthrew Chronos and it was even said that Zeus will eventually be overthrown...Arceus name comes from Zeus...

Ninja Caterpie
May 22nd, 2010, 06:36 PM
There's no reason the new gen even needs to go bigger or better than Arceus, either. Gen II and III did fine without surpassing Mew's level of plot power.

Kanto_Johto
May 23rd, 2010, 05:43 AM
For the love of God, this! Part of my dissapointment with Gen IV rests on this issue. I think there were something like 8000 legendaries in it? All of which were stupid. If Game Freak ever create another Pokemon as bad as Heatran, I might just loose faith in the whole legendary concept all together.

The Legendaries were awesome even in Gen III. Gen IV killed the speciality, IMO.

If they're going to make any more in this version, they should create absolutely no more than 5, and any other legendaries should only be obtainable by trade.

Mortalis
May 23rd, 2010, 10:23 AM
I'm pretty sure the legendaries this time will focus upon balance because balance -> Yin Yang, Black and White, etc.

Anyways, with more legendaries come more challenges and goals for us to complete.

Myles
May 23rd, 2010, 11:13 AM
I'd say, eight legendaries at least: mascot trio, normal trio, final (a la Mewtwo and Heatran) and cute out-of-game obtainable.

With the Internet, most people would be able to get the latter. Otheriwse they could even do a password to obtain the event item, like with Manaphy. Although, I wouldn't mind another duo for some sidequests too.

Slash Beast ∞
May 23rd, 2010, 11:15 AM
D/P/Pt gave me the impression they were rushin as many ideas for legendaries as possible in fear of pokemon endin -_-"

I believe this is too true to be an opinion.

Look, personally, they can make as many legends as they want. Just don't expect me to catch them all for the sake of having a complete Pokedex of 593 or whatever.

EDIT: I don't believe that all the legendaries are even necessary. While they are great tie-ins to stories and whatnot, I think Mew should have been as far as they went with the "God" type thing. I say this all the time, but I don't find it correct that Arceus isn't in the first game EVEN though he's supposed to be the creator of the Universe or whatever.
4-5 legends are enough. If they make anymore, PLEASE don't tie them into the story. It's too damn confusing. And on that note, don't make them look idiotic.

Harmony
May 23rd, 2010, 02:11 PM
I hope we don't have as many legends as we did last season.
idk I don't really like to use legends anyways, I'd rather have a team of pokemon I raised. That's just me. lol
Plus that whole Dialga vs Palkia vs Darkrai vs Shaymin vs Giratina vs Arceus thing was too much for me. :( lol

Edit:
I hope the new box art legends are psychic and dark for some reason. rofl
I think it'd benefit the whole black and white, yin and yang. ( for some reason when I see psychic pokemon I think of the color white.)

Kid Ghandi
May 23rd, 2010, 02:46 PM
There doesn't need to be anymore legendary Pokemon, there are already Pokemon for every natural element, flight, the sun, the sky, every human emotion, GOD (Arceus)

Harmony
May 23rd, 2010, 03:24 PM
There doesn't need to be anymore legendary Pokemon, there are already Pokemon for every natural element, flight, the sun, the sky, every human emotion, GOD (Arceus)

I disagree with that. The game wouldn't be as exciting without the legends.
And you can make more legends of the same type. For example Mew/ Mewtwo of the first gen. and Mesprit/Azelf/ uxie of the fourth.

btw, I'm totally not bashing your opinion. lol
So if you got that vibe, I'm sorry. D:

abnegation
May 23rd, 2010, 03:32 PM

I thought the same for a while, until I thought of a few different matters. I mean, just because it's the creator of the universe doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be last in the pokedex. I believe that the pokedex goes in order of pokemon discovered and not their power, obviously that's a little loose but I still think that it doesn't go in a way that Arceus needs to be last.

With that said, I'm open to the possibility of there being other god like pokemon, as Scarf said; there doesn't necessarily need to be one god and one god only.

Arceus has had many myths surrounding it but there's no doubt that it is the creator, though who knows, there could have been something before Arceus that pokemon have yet to discover, that's the beauty of the franchise.

LikeUberHackFan
May 23rd, 2010, 03:34 PM

What Laid the Egg huh?
5th generation new Legendary couple maybe

U_Flame
May 23rd, 2010, 04:05 PM
New generations mean new legendaries. It`s unavoidable. But nothing can be as sacred as Mew, the ancester of all Pokemon! They already crossed the line with Arceus being a god.

Åzurε
May 23rd, 2010, 04:18 PM
I like legendary Pokemon. Needs moar, but not very many. Say, mascots, a trio (maybe), and one or two event-type Pokemon. But not more than that.

Thunderpunch
May 23rd, 2010, 06:00 PM
If you think about it, Ho-oh was golden and Lugia was silver, Groudon was ruby red and Kyogre was sapphire blue, and Dialga and Palkia were grayish (diamond / pearl), so we can expect one Black legendary and one White legendary, possibly of Dark and Light types.

U_Flame
May 23rd, 2010, 07:18 PM
If you think about it, Ho-oh was golden and Lugia was silver, Groudon was ruby red and Kyogre was sapphire blue, and Dialga and Palkia were grayish (diamond / pearl), so we can expect one Black legendary and one White legendary, possibly of Dark and Light types.

I never thought about it like that. That`s a very good point! There`s no light type and there haven`t been any new types for two (almost three) generations now, but if they do make any, light has to be one of them.

LikeUberHackFan
May 24th, 2010, 03:55 AM
I'm just wondering as to why I made this thread, I made the poll and now It has been changed to a new title and a new owner of the thread. But yet it's still using my poll.

Could someone explain how my thread was changed and if so why?
I'm sure I did not break any of the fourm rules and if it was changed for no reason well thats just rude.

Timbjerr
May 24th, 2010, 04:16 AM
I'm just wondering as to why I made this thread, I made the poll and now It has been changed to a new title and a new owner of the thread. But yet it's still using my poll.

Could someone explain how my thread was changed and if so why?
I'm sure I did not break any of the fourm rules and if it was changed for no reason well thats just rude.

It was merged with an existing thread already on the subject of possible GenV legendaries. That's all.

PkMnTrainer Yellow
May 24th, 2010, 04:32 AM

Legend does not equal rare
Legend does not equal one of a kind
Legends are mystical

Nuff said?

AuraGaurdian
May 24th, 2010, 04:48 AM
Hmmmm... Ive always thought of legendary pokemon as a way to test my catching skills though I would never use them Id usually just trade them for something I wanted
so yeah I guess I do want more legendary pokemon cause for me
more legends=more chances to test myself.

SiReNzZ
May 24th, 2010, 06:05 AM
I like legendary Pokémon however I hope we don't see too many in Gen.5 ( 3 max )
I would like to see good dessigns and good battle abilities
A trio would be great , perhaps a trio that fight against eachother but have not been seen since the last battle between them that took place long ago after a huge blast that seperated them around the region ( Just an idea ) :S

fenyx4
May 24th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Actually, legendaries are one of the main reasons I'm still with Pokemon. :D Constantly, I'm envisioning epic battles with them. But I agree, Sinnoh's count was a bit excessive:

Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina were OK because they're the version mascots
Mesprit, Azelf, and UXLE (Uxie sounds crappy) looked like cheap Lati@s ripoffs when I first saw them, but they've grown into their own niche. As the trio, they were necessary too.

I'm glad Regigigas was introduced because I felt the Regis didn't have a proper master among the Weather Trio. And this was the only where it could be introduced properly, as it references events/Pokemon from the immediately preceding Gen. If it were added in Gen V or later, that would look simply too out of place.

Heatran is awesome (as well as its backstory) but I feel it could've been saved for a future generation. It doesn't really fit as a version mascot IMO because it's a bit too reminiscent of Groudon from Pokemon Ruby Version. That, and I don't really see what could counterpart it...

Introducing Shaymin and Manaphy in the same generation is just...unnecessary. One 'cute' legend per gen... Seeing as Shaymin got more recognition with the release of Platinum, I'd say Manaphy should've waited for another Gen (its title 'Prince of the Seas' irks me, because we already have 2 Legendaries that have major associations with the seas as well as being version mascots: Lugia and Kyogre). Phione was just an unnecessary waste of PokeDex space.

Lucario, despite not being an official legendary, IMO serves as DPPt's 'humanoid' legendary, similar to Mewtwo and Deoxys in the past. Zoroark technically fits this for Black and White as well (I know, not an official legendary since he evolves from Zorua)

Darkrai IMO could've been introduced by himself, but Cresselia is not a bad counterpart. They resemble RSE's Lati@s for me.

For me, Arceus's introduction, design, and backstory are awesome. Perhaps it would have been fitting to introduce it as the last Pokemon ever, but it's fine where it is. It's actually more proper since time, space, and antimatter (what the reality/dragon trio members embody) can be seen, in some aspects, as the foundations that constitute reality. Arceus as a version mascot wouldn't fit, though, due to its sheer importance...unless it were counterparted by a Pokemon representing pure destruction as opposed to creation (assumed by some at first to be Giratina, but not really since Giratina is subject to Arceus and can't really counterpart it).

So, aside from Heatran and Manaphy (and Arceus sort of), I believe Gen IV's legends were justified for the most part. I'll let the overinclusion of legends slide for this Gen IV, but that's it. There should be a limit on how many are introduced per Gen, or 'legendary' status just becomes a term that's not special anymore...

Black and White, IMO, should have:

3 Legendary Version Mascots
A New Trio (please, something other than red, blue, and yellow all the time! What about green, purple, orange?)
One Cute Legendary
Humanoid Legendary (Zoroark already satisfies this condition for me)

Possibly a Lati@s-esque Duo or a standalone (could expand exploration time in game)

The count comes out to 8 Legendaries per Gen for me. 9-11 could be warranted if the duo/standalone has an actual purpose for being added such as a new backstory, moves, abilities, more usage in battles; and/or if it complements the other legendaries...

EDIT: And please, can we axe event legendaries? Not everyone has Wi-Fi or the time/ability to get to an event...

Actually, legendaries are one of the main reasons I'm still with Pokemon. :D Constantly, I'm envisioning epic battles with them. But I agree, Sinnoh's count was a bit excessive:

Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina were OK because they're the version mascots
Mesprit, Azelf, and UXLE (Uxie sounds crappy) looked like cheap Lati@s ripoffs when I first saw them, but they've grown into their own niche. As the trio, they were necessary too.

I'm glad Regigigas was introduced because I felt the Regis didn't have a proper master among the Weather Trio. And this was the only where it could be introduced properly, as it references events/Pokemon from the immediately preceding Gen. If it were added in Gen V or later, that would look simply too out of place.

Heatran is awesome (as well as its backstory) but I feel it could've been saved for a future generation. It doesn't really fit as a version mascot IMO because it's a bit too reminiscent of Groudon from Pokemon Ruby Version. That, and I don't really see what could counterpart it...

Introducing Shaymin and Manaphy in the same generation is just...unnecessary. One 'cute' legend per gen... Seeing as Shaymin got more recognition with the release of Platinum, I'd say Manaphy should've waited for another Gen (its title 'Prince of the Seas' irks me, because we already have 2 Legendaries that have major associations with the seas as well as being version mascots: Lugia and Kyogre). Phione was just an unnecessary waste of PokeDex space.

Lucario, despite not being an official legendary, IMO serves as DPPt's 'humanoid' legendary, similar to Mewtwo and Deoxys in the past. Zoroark technically fits this for Black and White as well (I know, not an official legendary since he evolves from Zorua)

Darkrai IMO could've been introduced by himself, but Cresselia is not a bad counterpart. They resemble RSE's Lati@s for me.

For me, Arceus's introduction, design, and backstory are awesome. Perhaps it would have been fitting to introduce it as the last Pokemon ever, but it's fine where it is. It's actually more proper since time, space, and antimatter (what the reality/dragon trio members embody) can be seen, in some aspects, as the foundations that constitute reality. Arceus as a version mascot wouldn't fit, though, due to its sheer importance...unless it were counterparted by a Pokemon representing pure destruction as opposed to creation (assumed by some at first to be Giratina, but not really since Giratina is subject to Arceus and can't really counterpart it).

So, aside from Heatran and Manaphy (and Arceus sort of), I believe Gen IV's legends were justified for the most part. I'll let the overinclusion of legends slide for this Gen IV, but that's it. There should be a limit on how many are introduced per Gen, or 'legendary' status just becomes a term that's not special anymore...

Black and White should have:

3 Legendary Version Mascots
A New Trio (please, something other than red, blue, and yellow all the time! What about green, purple, orange?)
One Cute Legendary
Humanoid Legendary (Zoroark already satisfies this condition for me)

Possibly a Lati@s-esque (Lati@s-esque) Duo or a standalone (could expand exploration time in game)

The count comes out to 8 Legendaries per Gen for me. 9-11 could be warranted if the duo/standalone has an actual purpose for being added such as a new backstory, moves, abilities, more usage in battles; and/or if it complements the other legendaries...

Azzurra
May 24th, 2010, 10:52 PM
I do believe that obtaining legendaries should be a sidequest type of thing instead of having a whole event leading up to it. I totally agree with the original post.

Ger Japa
May 28th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Yes, Mew used to be the creator of everything and now Arceus creates the universe and everything by its 1000 arms. So I'm wondering who was born first after all: Mew or Arceus? And so what great myths will they create for 5th gen legendaries now? Create the material for the big bang? hmmmmmmmm

Tyler
May 28th, 2010, 08:37 AM
The new legendaries have been released. Check out pokemon.com

.Gamer
May 28th, 2010, 08:39 AM
http://i46.tinypic.com/10ptu2e.png

Oof. Guess we got more. If thats a light type. I'm quitting.

Agent Clank
May 28th, 2010, 08:45 AM
http://i46.tinypic.com/10ptu2e.png

Oof. Guess we got more. If thats a light type. I'm quitting.

Are You Serious?!
Those are Awesome!
I am more excited now the I was Before!

shengar
May 28th, 2010, 10:48 AM
No more God Legendary "Pokemon", please! I hope there will be not much of legendary. too many legendaries make them lose their legendary "feels"

Madam Cheezy
May 28th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I've recently come to have an apathetic attitude about legendaries. I rarely catch them and never put them on my teams because I like the idea of using common pokemon to beat the games with.

They can add as many legendaries as they want this time around. Let the under 10 crowd and the fervent collectors have their fun. I'll be building a team out of pokemon that are actually fun to use. XD

I could not have said it better myself. :)

I think I stopped caring about the legendaries after g/s/c. It got to the point where they just felt useless, and, unless your one of 'those' trainers whose whole team is a legendary clusterphoque or a collector, what's the point? Completing your dex is fine, but I'm sure having 80+ 'legends' to chase takes the fun out of it.

And yes, Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf are the same thing. Dumb, and a real pain to get.

I know I must sound negative, but, think about it. When you caught Mewtwo, it was a thrill. When you caught Heatran....?

Edit: YES! If they make a light type, then I will have to forfeit my trainer status as well. Psychic already covers 'light' to begin with.

Myles
May 28th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I'm a collector and I don't think I trained legendaries, ever. I think 80+ legendaries would just makes it more fun to catch them.

I might have to hold you guys to that quiting if the Light-type is introduced, lol. :P

Harmony
May 28th, 2010, 04:12 PM
lol I doubt it's a light type. I think it's psychic and flying and the other one is dark and flying. But mehhh I hated them both when I first seen them, but the bright one is kinda growing on me. lol

Timbjerr
May 28th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Yes, Mew used to be the creator of everything and now Arceus creates the universe and everything by its 1000 arms. So I'm wondering who was born first after all: Mew or Arceus? And so what great myths will they create for 5th gen legendaries now? Create the material for the big bang? hmmmmmmmm

Like I said earlier in the thread, it's best to not take the legendary pokemon's legends literally. They're called legends because they're passed down by word of mouth over many generations and could be oversensationalized throughout time and the pokemno in question's powers may be highly overstated. :P

Even still, I don't recall ever hearing that Mew created anything. It was simply stated that Mew was the ancestor of every living pokemon, which does somewhat contradict with the legend of Arceus creating everything, but that's why it's best to not take legends literally. XD

JollyRoger25
May 29th, 2010, 05:50 AM
I think there should be seven legendaries, two for the mascots of the basic games, a third for the mascot of the third (Special) game, three for a trio, and one cutsy one. No more, no less.

Even still, I don't recall ever hearing that Mew created anything. It was simply stated that Mew was the ancestor of every living pokemon, which does somewhat contradict with the legend of Arceus creating everything, but that's why it's best to not take legends literally. XD
Well, if Arceus created everything, and Mew is the ancestor of all pokemon, other than the obvious Arceus should come after Mew, I see no contradiction here, and that can be explained by not really seeing Arceus as a "pokemon" persay.

T33nyTurtwig
August 8th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Ok. The white legendary, Reshiram, is Fire/Dragon Type. Not Light. Zekrom, the black legend, is Electric/Dragon. Their actually Decent types. What confuses me ALOT about legends is how mew and arceus can be together. Mew is the Ancestor of all pokes, so Arceus should be from mew, but then Arceus created the world.(Dialga & Palkia are in this too, cos Mew can only be there if there was a Time-Space Continuum.) So did Mew come from nothing and become Arceus, who created the world, or was Arceus first.???

For the main topic:
3 Main legends (Zekrom, Reshiram and the 3rd Game mascot(if its there))
A Trio.
^^ the two just stated should be involved with the game plot.
1 Cutiepie Pokemon (Oh yeah, by the way, Phione isnt a legendary.)
1 Post Story Legendary. Involved with Team Plasma, but the post story needs to be longer, unlike in D/P/Pt, where you meet buck , walk in, beat up 2 galactic admins, they quit team galactic, you go through a cave, you goto the end, you get a 15 sec cut-scene, you finish, you go through the cave again for the legendary. Too boring.
More things please, and stuff leading to it, and stuff after it.
A Pair of legends. After the main story, maybe a little sidequest for them, Like getting an item for something and then they roam.
Please no more god legends.
Hopefully they have Good legends associated with Legendary Pokemon.

Forever
August 8th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Please don't post in threads that have been dead for over a month.

Locked.