PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] NPCs, Towns... Pokemon lost its feel?

Yusshin
May 16th, 2010, 01:10 PM
http://serebii.net/blackwhite/market.png

D: dude, they look the same!

http://serebii.net/blackwhite/bridge.png

Cars?! Sure, there was a moving truck in R/S/E but it was out-of-place 0.0

They're killing the Pokemon spirit with high tech' stuff D:

It just doesn't have the same "feel" anymore. Really. It's way too high tech' now.

Izanagi
May 16th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I like this change. Save for the NPCs, but then again, the game is still under development. Plus, it's a new region. Some parts of the world are more developed than others. Like La Rousse City of the anime.

PokemonCrazy_
May 16th, 2010, 01:14 PM
That looks kinda of cool, but I agree it dosent have that same "feel"

Zeta Patchouli
May 16th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Well, things evolve. Personally, I can't wait to play through this. If it feels way too different, then I still have Generations 1-4 to fall back on, but considering that I only really care about story and the battling system, I probably won't care that much when I play it.

(The NPCs always looked the same anyway, so that won't bother me at all.)

Hamilton
May 16th, 2010, 01:15 PM
it doesn't have the same feel but i think it feels better

cobraman228
May 16th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Well, the world is evolving all the time, so well, I dont mind the change, plus, if they have the technology to fit a massive Lugia into a tiny capsule, I'm sure they must have the technology to make cars :P

SolarAbusoru
May 16th, 2010, 01:21 PM
well, they did say they wanted to make it look like you weren't playing a Pokemon game, besides, it hasn't lost it's feel at all, it's feel has been upgraded.

MartinJF
May 16th, 2010, 01:23 PM
It felt weird when the only tech things was TV's and pokegears, while they had NeXT to no veichles and stuff.

icomeanon6
May 16th, 2010, 01:25 PM
You can't judge the feel of a game until you sit down and play it yourself. Screenshots can be deceptive. The true feel of a game isn't just how it looks at one given moment, it's how it moves, reacts, plays.

All that aside, I'm too worried about how stupid the starter Pokemon look to be worried about the towns.

agumon
May 16th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I agree that Pokemon games definately feel different now than before, lately I've been playing original red version and having a blast, but that shouldn't take away from enjoying all the newer pokemon games, I'm also playing through Pearl right now (First time playing through) and yeah at times they seem worlds apart but then I realize that it's been nearly what 15 years? seperating the games. they should feel different. and play differently.

Pityflame
May 16th, 2010, 01:26 PM
There are vehicles in all gens.

Timbjerr
May 16th, 2010, 01:28 PM
This is supposed to be a region rather distant from the previous four regions...rumors abound that this region is actually based on the American west coast. so it's understandably much different both culturally and technologically from the Hoenn/Johto/Kanto/Sinnoh continent. :P

If implemented well, it will lose the traditional feel, but gain a newer, fresher one in the process. :D

Ayselipera
May 16th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I don't think you can judge it until you try it. From here it does look very city like, but I think we've only seen one city and one town so far. Actually only a bit of a town if I remember correctly. Perhaps the other towns and cities won't be as industrial although I personally hope they will be. I just want to try something new. Rural towns were getting a bit old.

JAK3
May 16th, 2010, 01:36 PM
I think it fits, seeing as the world is also getting more High Tech as it goes on. Hopefully the whole game won't be cities and repeatedly same looking characters, i'm sure somethings will be changed.

Tiacha
May 16th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I think it looks pretty neat like that, some high tech stuff will definitely look interesting in the games. As soneone else said, it's been about 15 years since Pokemon's been out, so it surely is going to be, er, 'teching' itself up.

Proto
May 16th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Hmm. Are you upset because the games are changing, or because they're changing in a way you don't like? And if the latter is the case, then how would you like to see them evolve?

We've had essentially the same game for the past four generations, I personally feel it's time for a drastic change and B/W seem to be providing it. Honestly, even if this generation is different that isn't to say gen 6 won't go back to the style we've been used to for so long, so I wouldn't worry about Pokemon "being ruined" or anything like that.

So yeah. Excited for this generation, moreso than any other I've been around for the release of.

Haza
May 16th, 2010, 02:25 PM
What? All of the regions/generations have different feels. Johto was different than Knato, being more Sacred and ancient. Hoenn was different than anything done before and Sinnnoh truly was separate. It is only natural for these things to evolve over time.

colcolstyles
May 16th, 2010, 02:25 PM
It does seem like they're going a little overboard with the graphical stuff. Sure, it looks nice and all but I prefer the quaint towns nested in the countryside of the region, amidst beautiful flowers and flowing rivers. And, on the topic of cars, I sure as hell hope that they're not replacing the bike with a motorized vehicle of some sort.

Massai
May 16th, 2010, 02:38 PM
More than six people living in a town!?!

Technological advancements in the hardware reflected in the architecture and advancement of in-game technology!?!

Pokemon not from Red/Blue!?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!11one1!1eleven!!11

/drama
/nostalgia goggles

war rock exe
May 16th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I think you're right.... They don't make pokemon or pokemon games like the used to...

Proto
May 16th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I think you're right.... They don't make pokemon or pokemon games like the used to...
You're right, they don't. And that isn't a bad thing. :]

Look at Zelda. If they "stayed true" to the original style of video game they created on the NES, we'd never have a masterpiece like Ocarina of Time.

Evolution in video games is unavoidable, I think we all need to stop looking at B/W strictly in relation to past generations and appreciate it for being an entirely new experience.

Massai
May 16th, 2010, 02:49 PM
They don't make anything like they use to. You can either speculate about the scary changes, or accept the fact that everything changes and speculate about how much fun it can be, because you know you're buying it, playing it and loving it.

GunSaberSeraph
May 16th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Didn't one of the Corocoro screenshots back in April show the hometown looking rather traditional?

http://i40.tinypic.com/2qko0sy.png

My guess is that there will still be a few old styled areas, but the main focus will be urbanized.

flight
May 16th, 2010, 02:56 PM
I have a question for the OP: Why would you want to see the same thing over and over again? Wouldn't it get just a bit tedious for you? I think it's time that Pokemon did undergo a change; to feel more realistic and for the gamer to actually feel like they're going on a Pokemon adventure and not...y'know, feel plain and stuff. D/P/P and even HG/SS had wonderful 3D graphics, but this is taking it to a whole new level.

And to be honest, I like it.

GlitchCity
May 16th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I kinda like this little detail. It seems that GF is paying attention to the outside world. Hover crafts Im still waiting for lol.

Esmas
May 16th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I do agree; Pokémon is losing its feel with these games, starting in Gen IV, but I know we'll eventually get used to it and we'll like it even more.

Oh, and looking at the moving Pokémon battle sprites...that kind of ruined it for me.

Shorty-
May 16th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I really don't see a problems with the changes at all. Look at it this way, The pokemon world is basically a parallel of ours. We have are urban an rural areas, and so does the pokemon world. It is only natural that the urbanized areas have more than 5 to 6 peopl living in it. Change is good, and it is the only and absolute way to try new things, and if it fails, they can always redeem themselves with something else. All this complaining and everybody is going to be playing it anyway.

Kirbychu
May 16th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I've always felt that this is a franchise that doesn't have just one feel. Each generation has had it's own feel for me.

Gen I: This is Pokemon.
Gen II: This is Pokemon+.I always get this Japanese vibe from these games.
Gen III: This is different than before. This is a reboot of the franchise. Nature plays a huge role in this region.
Gen IV: Legends? I can't play through Sinnoh without thinking about all it's history.

This generation looks like it's going to put an emphasis on technology. That's what's going to give itself its own feel; it's what's going to set it apart from the all other generations.

Tyrantrum
May 16th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I'm not one of those crazy Pokémon fans when they end up changing everything so it looks totally different and gets mad about it. I like how they're adding cars to the game. It makes it seem more realistic. Of course, they're still going to be adding their famous Nintendo logic into the games; they do that all of the time. One being not having to constantly feed your Pokémon so they don't die.

To me, Pokémon has not lost it's originality. In my opinion, it's just getting better and better over the years.

Niprop
May 16th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Wild PORYGON appeared!

Wild PORYGON reminded you that this is not a sword and sorcery game!

coconutberry
May 16th, 2010, 04:38 PM
This is supposed to be a region rather distant from the previous four regions...rumors abound that this region is actually based on the American west coast. so it's understandably much different both culturally and technologically from the Hoenn/Johto/Kanto/Sinnoh continent.

Wow, really? If that's true, that would be awesome! I hope that means that there will be less Kanto Pokemon... One thing that I didn't like about Sinnoh was the fact that it seemed like there were more previous generation Pokemon than originals. (At least, in my opinion...) Hopefully, Isshu will be different!

But back on topic, I think that the upgrades are fine. The new angles look pretty interesting to be honest, and as for the technology... I'm not really bothered by it. And the characters all looking the same aren't an issue to me either, as most of the NPC's in previous games were all clones anyway... Especially in R/B/Y and G/S/C. Besides, the games are still in development... There will probably be tons of changes made before the final game.

King Goodra
May 16th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I think it's silly that Pokémon has a set feel. Pokémon is evolving. Gaming is evolving. We can't remain in that 8-bit generation of gaming, after all! I think with the changes that are made to technology, changes to the game should match that. I don't like how the world of Pokémon seemed to exclude any type of real life. One of the things that I read about in an interview with the developers of the Pokéwalker is how they wanted to bridge the gap as closely as they could between real life and the Pokémon world. They brought the Pokémon world to us by introducing the walker; now they're bringing our world to the world of Pokémon!

A Pixy
May 16th, 2010, 05:00 PM
I like the new Big City atmosphere. I know we'll still have forests and things like that, but having giant metropolises would be nice. A good change of pace that I am more than open minded to.

shookie
May 16th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I think it's silly that Pokémon has a set feel. Pokémon is evolving. Gaming is evolving.
Ha! Pun :P

I like that they're modernizing the games and make each region different from the other. If everything was a carbon copy from the original RBY/RGY then it would have gotten old fast. It's happened in most other video games that have been around for a long time, and it's why they've been around for so long.

Yusshin
May 16th, 2010, 08:02 PM
For whoever said NPCs always look the same, that's true, but at least they were spread out. I see the same NPCs at least three times in that first piccy o_o It's a bit redundant; I'm sure they could've been more creative this time around, since their repetitive NPCs are boring.

I also hope the screenies on Serebii are deterioriated quality-wise. If the game's quality isn't drastically better, I'm disappointed there, too. At the moment, it looks choppy and pixely. Again, pretty sure it's going to look better, but it looks raunchy for now.

Kanto and Johto had the same feel for me. Hoenn brought up a lot of technology in one platter which further advanced into D/P/Pt. I never finished Hoenn or Sinnoh games because of various reasons, but one being that they didn't feel like they should. Nothing attached me. The fact they urbanized it so much made it too similar to the real world. I play Pokemon games for how fantastical it is and how non-realistic they are. Pokemon are simply animals, and up until Hoenn, they lived in a world similar to the 1900s without depression and with a few obligatory technical aspects, like electricity, instant-heal centres, etc. There weren't cars, tall buildings, or over-crowded streets, though. That's more like today's world. If I want to experience that, I'll just go outside - without my DS.

It's just too realistic now. Pokemon and fantasy games are attaching to a lot of people because of how non-realistic and how anti-urban they are... in the case of Pokemon, were. To suddenly connect it so suddenly to the real world made it lose its charm of being fiction. Now it's just animals used to make money and become famous in an overly-urbanized, similar-to-the-real-world region. Is that not like real-day rooster fights? Same concept; one's pit against the other for cash in an underground place. The Team Rocket of society lol

Dunno. Basically, I don't like how realistic it's become. It killed the charm Pokemon had for me.

If Zelda suddenly became overly-urbanized and technology became wide-spread, I wouldn't play it either. Zelda's charm is being medieval. Repetitive as it may become, they always add something to the new games to keep it new, fresh, and entertaining. I'm sure Pokemon could have done the same. They just killed it for me lol

Vrai
May 16th, 2010, 08:30 PM
@ above: I don't want to read your post because it's purply and contrasts rather hugely with my chosen theme and I don't want to kill my eyes and I'm too lazy to highlight it all to read it so I'm sorry if I, uh... I meant to say something but by this point I already forgot it. Oh well.

Anyway, wasn't there a change in "feel" from RBY to GSC? How about GSC to RSE? Or, better yet, there was a huge jump in "looks" and "feel" from RSE to DPPt. Things change and grow, and new things become new and old things become old. Visuals are not the representation of the "feel" of the game; it's the way the game plays, the way the game works that shows how the game "feels".

Yusshin
May 16th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Kanto and Johto had the same feel for me.

Hoenn was entirely different. I never finished Hoenn; I reached Winona, but that's it. I didn't get attached.

Pearl I've reached the surfing masked Water leader. Quit.

As Pokemon developped more technology, I lost interest. It lost its fictional charm.

Vrai
May 16th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Kanto and Johto had the same feel for me.

Hoenn was entirely different. I never finished Hoenn; I reached Winona, but that's it. I didn't get attached.

Pearl I've reached the surfing masked Water leader. Quit.

As Pokemon developped more technology, I lost interest. It lost its fictional charm.

You might also have just gotten older and your interests changed and fallen out of favor with it. :/

There's always that possibility.

NeoZX
May 16th, 2010, 10:13 PM
This is practically the The World Ends With You version of Pokemon. But I like this change. It gives off a whole new feel, that is VERY different from the other games. Really different.

vibratingcat
May 17th, 2010, 02:26 AM
i like it! though the npcs should hav been looked over a bit more, its like they're all in unison coming from the same point and all moving to the left. but the cars are cool. and the train track shown could mean an awesome train too.

xDaisuke0
May 17th, 2010, 04:12 AM
I totally understand you, The 'feel' is just changing. But for me, it's changing fro the better. I like how they're getting more techy, they should be...

An-chan
May 17th, 2010, 05:05 AM
All game franchises evolve. It's happened to Mario - just compare the first game to Super Mario Galaxy and you might not even realise it's the same franchise anymore. It's happened to Zelda - it even evolved into two distinct timelines that have a very different style (just compare Spirit Tracks to Twilight Princess). It's happened to Final Fantasy - it evolved from fantasy RPGs into fantasy/sci-fi RPGs with epic plots. And, ultimately, all of those changes have been good. It's different, but different is often good. No game is about the setting alone, and slowly changing the setting to accommodate for people's interests is a good thing.

Also, while the first games might have been surreal and fantasy-like to you, was, for the series creator, his actual childhood reality. Red and Blue essentially represented the Japan of Tajiri's childhood. It wasn't meant to be a fantasy game, it was meant to be a representation of the actual atmosphere. With Japan evolving a lot in the past few decades, the kind of environments children grow up in have also been changed drastically. What you saw the game as wasn't what it was meant to be seen as, Yusshin. The feel is evolving as the feel of the real world evolves, because that's what the games were supposed to represent from the beginning: the real world with magical creatures added in.

Personally, I'm just super excited about the changes and the new region and the new Pokémon, too. It's going to be different, and just for that reason, it's going to rock so much.

Cherrim
May 17th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Honestly, as far as including more modern technology like cars, urbanized cities, and whatnot, I have only one thing to say: Finally.

I liked RBYGSC. It was easy to imagine a world where technology is developing, but mostly in ways that let people live harmoniously with Pokémon. So they can instantly heal your Pokémon but getting around without a Pokémon that can Fly seems like a real hassle. It was charming and quaint but I never... understood it. :/ It makes even less sense when you think that they have lush sealiners but no ways to get between cities faster than a bike.

Hoenn started to change that. You start out the game in a moving truck. But it doesn't necessarily lose that feel of harmony with Pokémon. The moving truck's doors open and Machoke start helping unload all your stuff. Pokémon are obviously still a big part of daily life. Plus, you see that vehicles aren't the main way of transport (ie, they sooner put in an environmentally-friendly bike path between two major hubs than a highway). I kind of get the feeling that only notable people/situations even merit using vehicles. (Gym Leaders are fairly prestigious so that might be why you get a vehicle to move with, perhaps others use wagons or something idk lmao). But then you head out east and... they're trying to get to the moon. What. It's even more ridiculous when you believe the theory that RSE takes place at the same time as RBY. The disconnection between the technologies just makes NO SENSE. I thought the space exploration thing was cool, and tbh, I actually liked that, but it needed the surrounding technology to catch up to it. :(

Gen 4 was much like Gen 3. :/ There were hints of advanced technology--they can deal with all sorts of little gadgets and people program apps for them, but really? No one drives a car? The only way to get around is STILL by boat? And then Johto has a bullet train but nothing else. Ummm... okay. If you say so. Seriously, if a bullet train doesn't feel "out of place" and cars do... @_@; (Then again, Kanto and especially Johto are based more heavily on/in Japan so I guess it's not super strange. But it is to me, a North American.)

I'm excited for more technology. I'm not one of the people who plays Pokémon for a purely fantastical setting--to be honest, it never really made sense to me. :/ I think I'll feel more at home in a Pokémon game where technology we take for granted here in first world countries is more accessible in the game. Cars? Yeah, I wanna see them around even if I'm still hitchiking trekking my way through the region on foot.

I really like that this gen seems to be based on the Eastern Coast of the US. Do want! I think the extra technology that'll be in use will finally close this gap that always made the games seem so off-balance. I'd like to see a world closer to this world where human cities are finally starting to build up so it seems more like a modern civilization rather than a mashup of early 19th-century with cellphones. (It's not even like the old games did steampunk or anything interesting, it was just an awkward mix of gadgets and boats. :|)

Though I'm going to be a bit annoyed if the games try to shove an environmentalist mentality on us. :( "Oh no, we can't expand the city into this marsh, then where will these Farfetch'd live!?" 8| We get enough of that in the real world and plots like that are so overdone. But it almost seems inevitable in a game where the relationship between the animals (Pokémon) and humans is so intricate.

edit: lmao omg how did that get so long. Sorry for the wall of text. @_@

_Prince_
May 17th, 2010, 05:39 AM
You can't expect pokemon to be stuck in the late 1990's forever, the world advances and so is pokemon. I really do not desire to play a game which hasn't changed or isn't offering something new. Changes are often good and invigorating. I’m quite liking how b/w are shaping out.

Shiny Quagsire
May 17th, 2010, 05:42 AM
This is supposed to be a region rather distant from the previous four regions...rumors abound that this region is actually based on the American west coast. so it's understandably much different both culturally and technologically from the Hoenn/Johto/Kanto/Sinnoh continent. :P

If implemented well, it will lose the traditional feel, but gain a newer, fresher one in the process. :D

Yay! If that's true, my home town will be in it!

I do agree that pokemon has lost it's feel. I was actually hoping they'd keep 493, and not 572. :(

Rich Boy Rob
May 17th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I much prefer the idea of an urbanized, technologically advanced region to that of one full of little farms and tiny villages inhabited by about 6 people. It all seemed a bit... twee. For me this is a step in the right direction, in fact I would be over the moon if the next generation was about space exploration and alien-pokémon like Deoxys, technology intrigues me. Tiny farming communities seem a little too... I don't know. I don't mind unrealisticness, I like unrealisticness.

Sage Harpuia
May 17th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Hoenn brought up a lot of technology in one platter which further advanced into D/P/Pt.

You are right on Sinnoh, but Hoen was the one with wild nature: its only big town was Rustboro, the others were covered in grass; instead Kanto had Saffron, Celadon, Vermillion (and on HG/SS Pewter).
Returning on topic, in B&W there will be not only urban area but also classic area, like the ones shown by the pics of the starter city and one of the new screens.
Plus I'm happy about the mix of urban and rural area.

Blue
May 17th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Yeah, It dosen't feel as it used to, I don't like the fact that near enough EVERYTHING is high-tech and 3D it just feels like it's going slightly too far, yeah its going to happen but I feel that it shoudn't, HG/SS we're far enough with pokemon following you, I think they should keep it as it currently is (With HG/SS) and if they made a R/S remake I HOPE it's not going to be like the Black & White graphics.

Rei Shingetsu
May 17th, 2010, 12:04 PM
In actual fact I quite loved all the new things.
Everything's got to evolve one day, so you expect the game to be stuck in the RBY's era?
No will do.
Novelties have to be done to keep up with new generations, and not to lose out to other games.

Yusshin
May 17th, 2010, 12:05 PM
You are right on Sinnoh, but Hoen was the one with wild nature: its only big town was Rustboro, the others were covered in grass; instead Kanto had Saffron, Celadon, Vermillion (and on HG/SS Pewter).
Returning on topic, in B&W there will be not only urban area but also classic area, like the ones shown by the pics of the starter city and one of the new screens.
Plus I'm happy about the mix of urban and rural area.

Hoenn was the first to introduce on-land, modern-looking vehicles (the moving truck). How that works, I don't know - Pokemon doesn't have roads after all! The anime, yeah, but not the games lol

The PokeNav was also advanced in comparison to the PokeGear. Contests really added a more modernized touch, too. The wild life is really nice in Hoenn; I still felt it was more advanced in technology, though.

I just hope the graphics are improved xD and that the screenshots we've seen are really deteriorated quality-wise. It looks terrible atm.

Toshiro.
May 17th, 2010, 12:08 PM
At first I did feel as if it was losing the traditional feel, but it's actually a good thing. I like that we are seeing a growth of technology, and I like how they are adding big cities, bridges with cars and trucks, etc. It helps keep Pokemon up with this generation.

SolarAbusoru
May 17th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Hoenn was the first to introduce on-land, modern-looking vehicles (the moving truck). How that works, I don't know - Pokemon doesn't have roads after all! The anime, yeah, but not the games lol

The PokeNav was also advanced in comparison to the PokeGear. Contests really added a more modernized touch, too. The wild life is really nice in Hoenn; I still felt it was more advanced in technology, though.

I just hope the graphics are improved xD and that the screenshots we've seen are really deteriorated quality-wise. It looks terrible atm.

You do realise many of those screenshots are low quality JPEGS right? the actual screens would be clear like all other Pokemon games.

bobandbill
May 17th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Hoenn was the first to introduce on-land, modern-looking vehicles (the moving truck). Nope, Hoenn isn't the first actually. Granted this was hidden, but trucks have been around since R/B/Y! http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Truck#Rumors It is there and can be seen as an easter egg (it may not be modern-looking but that's more due to the graphics of the time =P). Furthermore it reappeared in FR/LG as well. (The Mew however did not. ;p)

Note also that there's a LOT of the game we haven't seen yet. We've got mostly pics from one city but we don't know what the rest of the region looks like. (We do have one pic of what seems to the be protagonist's hometown though which seems much smaller and less 'HIGH-TECHNICAL' though =P).

And to be honest the more 'advanced' look seems more due to an enhanced ability in programming and whatnot as well to at least some extent - don't forget that R/B/Y had cities and all as well, just now part with a few NPCs running off to work. I'd say more but maybe later. But all we have are a few pictures/videos which are likely beta even - so to judge its 'feel' now seems silly to me. =/

sumeet109
May 17th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I don't really mind as long as the games still have lots of forests, caves, and water paths.

JAK3
May 17th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Although, I noticed something, as the male protagonist is walking through town, all the NPC's do look the same, all in fancy suits, almost like they are all going to a meeting! Could this perhaps mean that half of Isshu is a city like region? I sure hope not.

Yusshin
May 17th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I never noticed the truck in R/B/Y. I just noticed it in Hoenn since it stood out so much.

Still. Not a fan of how high-tech it's becoming :s I'll never finish Pearl because it's just too Sci-Fi'ish (evil team wanting to wipe out Earth or w/e and praising space demi-Gods). I never liked the 3D lighthouse in HGSS either, so having 3D towns is really going to kill the "fun" I'll have playing. Not a fan of those graphics.

The characters look flat, too.

http://serebii.net/blackwhite/town.png

Everything else is 3D but the characters look flat lol It's really awkward o_o Like Paper Mario (only, Paper Mario was awesome.)

The characters, the way they are now, seem really awkward and misplaced. I dunno how to explain it.

and I figured the quality was better :| I said that twice. I just had a .01% doubt.

MistahDude
May 17th, 2010, 04:52 PM
For whoever said NPCs always look the same, that's true, but at least they were spread out. I see the same NPCs at least three times in that first piccy o_o It's a bit redundant; I'm sure they could've been more creative this time around, since their repetitive NPCs are boring.

I also hope the screenies on Serebii are deterioriated quality-wise. If the game's quality isn't drastically better, I'm disappointed there, too. At the moment, it looks choppy and pixely. Again, pretty sure it's going to look better, but it looks raunchy for now.

Kanto and Johto had the same feel for me. Hoenn brought up a lot of technology in one platter which further advanced into D/P/Pt. I never finished Hoenn or Sinnoh games because of various reasons, but one being that they didn't feel like they should. Nothing attached me. The fact they urbanized it so much made it too similar to the real world. I play Pokemon games for how fantastical it is and how non-realistic they are. Pokemon are simply animals, and up until Hoenn, they lived in a world similar to the 1900s without depression and with a few obligatory technical aspects, like electricity, instant-heal centres, etc. There weren't cars, tall buildings, or over-crowded streets, though. That's more like today's world. If I want to experience that, I'll just go outside - without my DS.

It's just too realistic now. Pokemon and fantasy games are attaching to a lot of people because of how non-realistic and how anti-urban they are... in the case of Pokemon, were. To suddenly connect it so suddenly to the real world made it lose its charm of being fiction. Now it's just animals used to make money and become famous in an overly-urbanized, similar-to-the-real-world region. Is that not like real-day rooster fights? Same concept; one's pit against the other for cash in an underground place. The Team Rocket of society lol

Dunno. Basically, I don't like how realistic it's become. It killed the charm Pokemon had for me.

If Zelda suddenly became overly-urbanized and technology became wide-spread, I wouldn't play it either. Zelda's charm is being medieval. Repetitive as it may become, they always add something to the new games to keep it new, fresh, and entertaining. I'm sure Pokemon could have done the same. They just killed it for me lol

Pokemon was never made as a fantasy game. It was made as an RPG with super powered animals.

I never noticed the truck in R/B/Y. I just noticed it in Hoenn since it stood out so much.

Still. Not a fan of how high-tech it's becoming :s I'll never finish Pearl because it's just too Sci-Fi'ish (evil team wanting to wipe out Earth or w/e and praising space demi-Gods). I never liked the 3D lighthouse in HGSS either, so having 3D towns is really going to kill the "fun" I'll have playing. Not a fan of those graphics.

Everything else is 3D but the characters look flat lol It's really awkward o_o Like Paper Mario (only, Paper Mario was awesome.)

The characters, the way they are now, seem really awkward and misplaced. I dunno how to explain it.

and I figured the quality was better :| I said that twice. I just had a .01% doubt.

Why would you want people to be 3D? That would be weird and uncomfortable!

You do realise many of those screenshots are low quality JPEGS right? the actual screens would be clear like all other Pokemon games.

If you want to see better quality shots of some of these areas, then watch some of the pokemon sunday footage.

Yay! If that's true, my home town will be in it!

I do agree that pokemon has lost it's feel. I was actually hoping they'd keep 493, and not 572. :(

You do know how many pokemon they have already pre-drawn right? Tens of thousands!

Yeah, It dosen't feel as it used to, I don't like the fact that near enough EVERYTHING is high-tech and 3D it just feels like it's going slightly too far, yeah its going to happen but I feel that it shoudn't, HG/SS we're far enough with pokemon following you, I think they should keep it as it currently is (With HG/SS) and if they made a R/S remake I HOPE it's not going to be like the Black & White graphics.

Not everything is 3D. The people and the pokemon in battles arent.

Kenaku
May 17th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Eh, it looks different, but I still think we will be set on a grid =/

shookie
May 17th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I'm not really seeing where people are getting the whole "Pokémon is way too high tech now" thing from. There's technology in Pokémon we don't have in this modern world (hello, Pokéballs? Being able to store animals on a PC?) in the same way that modern technology isn't as common in the games as it is in society. The characters still ride bikes instead of using cars or motorcycles to get places and boats instead of planes to travel long distances (with the exception of flying on a Pokémon, obviously). Pokégears and Pokétches don't have any technology that surpasses anything already available on modern cellphones. Heck, they still use carrier pigeons (or what have you) to deliver mail instead of email.
Maybe something really obvious is going over my head, but I don't see like, flying cars and meals in pill form around.

GunSaberSeraph
May 17th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I'm not really seeing where people are getting the whole "Pokémon is way too high tech now" thing from. There's technology in Pokémon we don't have in this modern world (hello, Pokéballs? Being able to store animals on a PC?) in the same way that modern technology isn't as common in the games as it is in society. The characters still ride bikes instead of using cars or motorcycles to get places and boats instead of planes to travel long distances (with the exception of flying on a Pokémon, obviously). Pokégears and Pokétches don't have any technology that surpasses anything already available on modern cellphones. Heck, they still use carrier pigeons (or what have you) to deliver mail instead of email.
Maybe something really obvious is going over my head, but I don't see like, flying cars and meals in pill form around.

Actually, the professors receive email if you check their in-game PCs, but your point still stands.

An-chan
May 17th, 2010, 09:46 PM

First of all, sci-fi implies that it has actual fictional technology in it. Yes, Pokémon does have fictional technology in it, but that's how it's been from the beginning. You know, Poké balls, the devices Bill has been building since first Gen, being able to store Pokémon on computers, that stuff. However, all the other technology is pretty much the same than it is in the real world. If you say DPPt is sci-fi, then RBY was also sci-fi. Just because you refuse to see it doesn't mean it's there.

That said, I repeat what I said earlier: Pokémon was a representation of the real world from the beginning. The fact you saw it as a surreal-kind-of world that's detached from the real world doesn't mean that was ever true. It was made to resemble the Japan of Tajiri's childhood from the beginning. For the people who made the game - and a large part of the people who played it, too - it was the real world with Pokémon included. And that's what it still is. If you compare Pokémon battling to cockfights now, then you should have compared them to that from the beginning, because the idea is still the same, just as the setting is: you battle animals and get monies when you win. That's how it was from the beginning.

Also, I really don't see how the 3D would take away any fun. If you don't like them, then that's that. There are things I don't like about games sometimes, but I just have to get over it and enjoy the game. I think what we've seen so far has looked pretty gorgeous, especially the battles and Hiun City. Just because there are cars and skyscrapers doesn't mean the whole game is un-Pokémon-y. That's what the world looks like these days - if you add a carefree, cartoon-y touch to it.

loliwin
May 17th, 2010, 10:09 PM
There was a time that Pokemon needed to evolve and not be the same stuff all over again. I wouldnt like playing games that looked the same for 20 years.. :(

lusterclaw
May 17th, 2010, 10:11 PM
not all of it has changed just the citys about tech.

bobandbill
May 18th, 2010, 02:27 AM
[FONT="Calibri"][COLOR="Purple"][SIZE="3"]I never noticed the truck in R/B/Y. I just noticed it in Hoenn since it stood out so much.

Still. Not a fan of how high-tech it's becoming :sWoah nelly, slow down there...

Firstly - hi-tech in what manner? Is it the visuals, or the content, or both? Seems you're jumping to and fro...

Anyways, - you dislike how high-tech...it's becoming? As said this isn't something terribly new in Pokemon- you know, the game where you capture animals in devices and can transfer them back and forth to a computer storage system? That sounds rather hi-tech in the first place, and the introduction of a truck or car... doesn't change that. (If anything the car probably came first and seems to be established since R/B/Y - not only was there a truck there is also references to an old man saying he remembers the moon landing to the exact date... and logically a car would be invented before a small device which fits in your pocket that can contain huge monsters within them - certainly is the case irl. =P)

Furthermore there's the more obvious example of transport, the Magnet (Maglev) Train in GSC which honestly screams more 'high technology' then a truck to me - this is something that runs on magnets and transports you to another region at astonishing speed. I don't really see how there being trucks in 5th gen is any more technologically advanced than previous games. (Note that it is implied GSC/HGSS takes place the same time if not just before D/P/Pt, and RBY is thought by many to be around RSE's time slot). Never mind the high-class boats. In short, I just really can't see where you are going with this 'Pokemon has lost their feel' in this regard because it really is nothing new or amazing - if anything it's less impressive than other things before.

I'll never finish Pearl because it's just too Sci-Fi'ish (evil team wanting to wipe out Earth or w/e and praising space demi-Gods). I never liked the 3D lighthouse in HGSS either, so having 3D towns is really going to kill the "fun" I'll have playing. Not a fan of those graphics.This sounds more a complaint with both plot (and who knows what the plot with B&W will be? The potential for a ying-and-yang theme though excites me more than 3rd/4th gen's plot) and the visuals here. On the former I'll note that there was no 'praising' of the legendaries going on in D/P/Pt, just a guy in charge of a large group whole manipulated them and wanted to use those legendaries for his own means. Rather different... (but you said you only played up to the fourth gym? Which probably explain it...) And the visuals part is down to personal opinion but doesn't actually change that much of th gameplay IMO (and certainly not the Lighthouse having a 3D part - you experience that for what, 5 seconds max if you go 'this isn't pretty imo' and just walk inside again). There's a difference between not liking the graphics and the 'feel' of the game changing, which wouldn't be due to 3D being used thanks to Game Freak making use of the DS's capabilities.

Everything else is 3D but the characters look flat lol It's really awkward o_o Like Paper Mario (only, Paper Mario was awesome.)Hard to gauge with pre-release (by half a year thereabouts-good chance it's fair beta like certain pre-dp pics were to an extent) tbh. And on a previous not on the NPCs looking the same -besides repeating the 'it's may be beta', they've been reusing the same over-world (and battle) sprites since R/B/Y. =/ Sure it might seem a touch more obvious there, but I can't say businessmen looking like each other in an alley in one part of the game is exactly terrible in my view. *shrugs*

And again - bar the very odd picture all we have really seen is the city - which'd obviously be busier and more modern than smaller towns, etc. Still feel this judgement is given about a touch prematurely, is all.

Natsu Dragneel
May 18th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Pokemon Really is high tech, remember the pokemon movie #5 Destiny deoxys? the city there is high-tech.

~Drak

Ωmega
May 18th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I am actually excited for Black and White (or Negro and Caucasian as me and my friends refer to them as). Honestly, regions from Gens 1-4 were a little...bland to me. I couldn't really relate to them in the sense of a civilian. Now that the Isshu Region is more urbanized and the protagonists are older, I can relate more.

Nostalgia is good to have, but as Ausaudriel said: the games are evolving. The games are changing and we can't do anything about it. If you don't like it, then don't play it. I am excited for it. Black and White looks like a new frontier for Pokemon and it looks as if it is headed in the right direction.

EDIT (25 June): Don't call me ignorant, whoever made the comment. I, myself, am African-American, and I only refer to the games around 2 people who are, by chance, white and mixed African-American and Caucasian blood. We refer to the games as such because we feel like it. So what if you call me ignorant or racist because I am not. By relating a game to races, I am suddenly racist? Would it make a difference to note that Sazh from FF13 was, obviously, of African heritage? Would it make a difference to note that Naruto is a victim of the Japanese subculture where one imitates a white person, blond hair and all? No, it would not.

assasinn
May 18th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I know, in fact, 4th gen was even more confusing. This change, I can bare, besides, you can't take a bike every where.

Waki Tobaye
May 18th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Pokemon Really is high tech, remember the pokemon movie #5 Destiny deoxys? the city there is high-tech.

~Drak

No! Mantain both canon apart. Anime is anime and videogames are videogames. They are not the same thing D:

On Topic, It obviously doesn't feel like older regions. Hell, even Nurse Joy is now gone from the Pokémon Center. It's a pretty big visual revamp, but we just have seen one (two, if you count the one screenie we got about the initial town) full city. We have just seen one. One. There's pretty much like 95% we haven't seen. Just because there's a city doesn't mean we have lost Pokémon. That's what I think xD

Ninja Caterpie
May 19th, 2010, 02:17 AM
The NPCs, I agree. However, those are most likely still placeholders for the sprites they're yet to insert, as it's still in beta stages.

The "feel" of the game...I completely disagree.

Hiun City is meant to be the high tech city of Isshu. The one with the skyscrapers and fully tiled floor. It's meant to be high tech. There's always a town (maybe more) that's super big/high tech. In RBY, it was Saffron. In GSC, Goldenrod. RSE had Rustboro, Slateport and Lilycove. DPPt had Veilstone and Sunnyshore. Point is, every region has one or two really big cities with really big stuff in it. So what if there's A TRUCK. OMG THE GAME IS RUINED THERE'S A TRUCK. In GSC there was a Magnet Train. Your point is moot.

The one city they've showcased is meant to be super-new and high tech. I love how you completely neglect the fact that the starting village is still tiny and small and humble and insignificant.

I'll be willing to bet much of Isshu is still going to be small and laid-back.

Forever
May 21st, 2010, 11:06 PM
I think it felt more normal for me in R/B/Y/G/S/C... sooo if gen 6 is the final generation, then they should use graphics from then, to give it a normal feel. Or those graphics to go back in time.

Either way, I don't like the graphics/feel of this game either, but meh idc much.

One of the things that I read about in an interview with the developers of the Pokéwalker is how they wanted to bridge the gap as closely as they could between real life and the Pokémon world. They brought the Pokémon world to us by introducing the walker; now they're bringing our world to the world of Pokémon!

Nick that sounds creepy :(

pokedict
May 22nd, 2010, 12:29 AM
rubbish, we're living ina modernised world, having high tech-pokemon stuff will be awesome, I mean, it's not like theyre banning us from the originals is it? It's good to have choice between 2 pixel squares moving acorss the screen and ultra-modernised pokemon and cities. :)

Went
May 22nd, 2010, 12:50 AM
Zelda comparison: I loved Zelda: Majora's Mask because it was a game that made you feel that the people in the cities were alive, doing things, having schedules instead of running around all over the place. If this game revives that feeling (and not TP's oh-I'm-too-busy-must-run feeling that the Pokémon Sunday trailer kind of implied), I'll be happy.

Technology: Honestly, what's wrong with cars? What's wrong with the character riding a motorbike instead of a regular bicycle? It's just evolution- if they want to set the game on a real-life country, we need cars and stuff. As long as they don't change the gameplay too much, it's fine.

Graphics: Again, evolution. This (http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/d/d5/HGSS_Saffron_City.png) is a million times better than this (http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/0/01/Saffronrby.PNG). Now we'll have a smiliar city, but in 3-D. I know I love old-gen games, but as long as the graphics don't kill the gameplay, I don't see any problem with that.

NA3LKER
May 22nd, 2010, 01:34 AM
i am personally looking forward to it. this change will be, at the very least, refreshing.

Bluerang1
May 22nd, 2010, 02:55 AM
I agree, I don;t want too much modernisation. I like Heonn's balance of the two, Sinnoh was a bit to modern. But I also take the fact that it's still in development and the starting town is good. I wonder what I'll room will look like :D Finally, I wanted individual NPCs :(

Yingxue
May 22nd, 2010, 06:50 AM
Wasn't it Shigeru Miyamoto who said that they were going to make players think, "Am I really playing a Pokemon game?"

Also, I think those screens are a beta, it's not necessarily representative of what the city will actually be like...

pokemongarnet
May 22nd, 2010, 06:52 AM
I think it's just that city that's all high tech i think the rest will be fairly rural.

livelyhans
May 22nd, 2010, 08:19 AM
i like the detail too.. and i love it especially when the character walkin' around the city.. looks good.. but i think this version it's look like a harvest moon game...overall are good but it's awful with the starters

Shiari Xero
May 22nd, 2010, 08:46 AM
I personally cant wait till Black and White come out, they look awesome.

Its sad though, seeing how many people only play the game for the "feel" of pokemon. Where would it be without innovation? Stuck back in Gen.1 Now, i love gen 1 as much as the next person, but its time has come and gone. Newer, better in my opinion, games have come out, successors to the pokemon line. And you guys actually want it to look like Gen 1? For pity's sake, it would be like people telling the Final Fantasy people to never try something new. And if they would listen, we wouldnt have the awesome games of 6-9 and 13. It would all look like FFI. Technology is advancing, graphic engines are getting better, they can fit more on tiny carts. Change is bound to happen, and change is good. If you dont like change, go grab an emulator and play Red or Blue on it ;)
So in my opinion, as long as the story-line is good, and the graphics dont ruin gameplay, its a pokemon game thru and true. And ill play it :D

Azzurra
May 24th, 2010, 11:15 PM
If you're talking about the starting town looking "unoriginal" then you're right. They're always the same, but everything? I'd have to disagree there. They look quite a bit different from my perspective, especially the cars and the whole town settings.

cystar
June 2nd, 2010, 01:53 AM
I think the towns are kimproving not going worse duhh

Adventure
June 7th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I think it's cool that it evolves.

Next, I want to see a Pokémon mmorpg for PC/Mac. In full 3D and 1st/3rd person view. Hooray!

Camara
June 7th, 2010, 02:35 PM
3D that works just as 2D (DPPtHGSS vs RBY) is a fail. 3D as you see your character from behind, now that's a 3D.

Jerme
June 8th, 2010, 10:22 AM
There are vehicles in all gens.
true
1st gen-s.s anne, the "mew" truck
2nd gen-magnet train, s.s. aqua
3rd gen-cable car, the boat, trucks
4th gen-look how futuristic sunnyshore city is. and then there arn't even cars.

edit: and then there are the biker trainers (as in motorcycle) from gen 1 and 2

plus i like how the city looks like it actually has life to it. unlike a town with 5 enterable buildings, 20 buildings with no doors, and only 5 pedestrians

I do agree; Pokémon is losing its feel with these games, starting in Gen IV, but I know we'll eventually get used to it and we'll like it even more.

Oh, and looking at the moving Pokémon battle sprites...that kind of ruined it for me.

seriously? static pokemon sprites during battles is just boring, but i never had a problem with it. and i think the reason older gens didn't have this much detail is because they didn't have enough room/space/time/whatever to fit it all in...

Angelroid
June 8th, 2010, 10:36 AM
It's getting better, Everytime they make a Gen.

So, I don't care. What people have to say about it.:cool:

shot571
June 8th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I know what you mean. I feel it. Nostalgia?. Dunno. But im welcome to this change as long as if this doesnt feel enjoyable they go back to the normal game. I dont really mind the normal formula im one of the sort of people to keep buying the same game again and again even if its only small upgrades. e.g dragonballz on ps2. it has small updates yet I still bought it. I guess theyre just afraid of not getting any new fans. I mean everyomne know that pokemon has a 'babyish' look in the public. They are probably trying to change that.

Flare Riqueza
June 8th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I welcome it, as long as I remember not to sell my old games...

I just hope for the R/S/E remakes they revert to Hg/Ss style towns, rather than upgrading them so that..say...Rustboro is the new Hiun City.

Jerme
June 8th, 2010, 12:18 PM
and then in the original games, they had warp pads that teleport you in silph co...what are u complaining about

WiiMann
June 8th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I like the city, but i will miss the rural towns, I think it'll be an interesting change. But hey, it's still under development maybe we will get a couple of our beloved rural towns!

Jerme
June 8th, 2010, 01:07 PM
I like the city, but i will miss the rural towns, I think it'll be an interesting change. But hey, it's still under development maybe we will get a couple of our beloved rural towns!

there may be both. one screen shot shows a twinleaf-like town, then theres a huge city...its like real world. bejing here, and the greeat wall of tchina there. dont worry

Owl
June 30th, 2010, 06:02 AM
I agree with you on that point. But, it still is pretty nice. The 3D effects are kinda cool.