PDA

View Full Version : B/W: "Smell Ya Later!": The Rival Speculation Thread

colcolstyles
May 16th, 2010, 02:40 PM
When I saw Hiroshi Sotomura's thread about the games' protagonist (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=218740), it got me thinking: now that we've seen the protagonists, what about the rival(s)?

So, what do you want to see in the new games' rival? Do you want him/her to be an arrogant jerk or an amiable friend who gives you helpful advise and items? What do you want him/her to look like? Do you want the gender to be the opposite of the player's, the same, or a fixed gender regardless of the player's gender? How many rival characters is an appropriate amount? Feel free to speculate/list your demands.

Massai
May 16th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Same gender as the chosen protagonist.

I also prefer the truly friendly rivalry, instead of the annoying friend or arrogant jerk.

JAK3
May 16th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I would love the Gary Oak personality to come back, that was my favourite, The 2nd Generation Rival attitude didn't seem to make sense for me, the 3rd Generation rival was barely a rival, but more of a traveling friend. The 4th Generation Rival was cool, and he brought back the Gary Oak feel, but didn't beat it, so a snob that thinks he is better than you feel would be the most fitting for me, it would be cool to see your rival not beat the Elite four, but maybe come into the champions area right after you beat the Elite four champion, and he fights you! That would be mean! Your rival comes into the champions room to try and become the new champion right after you become the champ! That would be worse than Gary Oak!

Izanagi
May 16th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I want a rival that starts out as your best friend, and worthy adversary, but as the game progresses, he gets more and more jealous of your growing fame and exceptional skill that he slowly becomes more and more of a jerk and resentful towards you, until you beat him at the Pokemon League, snapping him out of his funk and rekindling your friendship.

Guy
May 16th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Third Generation was my favorite, but the way they portrayed your rival as more of a helpful friend was what depressed me. I like them to be tough on us, thinking they're better while we sit at a lower stand than they do. Barry was probably my favorite rival when it came to being comedic, but Blue was my favorite as he was basically the "perfect" rival to say. He thought he was better than us, yet he didn't go slightly overboard with it like Silver had done back in GSC and HG/SS.

So I'm definitely looking forward to a rival that somewhat mirrors Blue in his style of rivalry. With a little mix in from Barry's comedic personality, I think I'll be highly content. I am hoping though that they make the rival a bit more competitive. I hope his or her Pokémon are strong, and not just something that can easily be defeated. I also hope they incorporate some strategy as well as I think this will give battles against them a more rivalry touch since it'll be more of a challenge against them; especially if they think they're better than us.

More than anything, I'd really like to see them be incorporated into the game's plot. DPPt, did this a bit with Dawn and Barry. I'm hoping Black and White might take it a little farther than that.

war rock exe
May 16th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I think the Girl should be the Boy's rival or vice versa. I liked it like that in Ruby, Saffire, and Emerald, but i would LOVE more battles..

Hamilton
May 16th, 2010, 02:55 PM
two rivals
on that's your friend
one that hates our guts
i think it would work

JAK3
May 16th, 2010, 02:56 PM
I want a rival that starts out as your best friend, and worthy adversary, but as the game progresses, he gets more and more jealous of your growing fame and exceptional skill that he slowly becomes more and more of a jerk and resentful towards you, until you beat him at the Pokemon League, snapping him out of his funk and rekindling your friendship.
This Idea sounds amazing, it would work so well! I could see the last fight, your rival just snaps and takes out his rage on you, then attacks you with a high leveled team of Pokemon! Or what about this, what if your rival was a nice person, but joined the evil team later on, but you didn't learn about it until you arrived at the evil team's base, and see your rival their chatting with the boss. That would be interesting too, but your idea sounds better. :D

Weird
May 16th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Lol, that's exactly like it goes in the hack shiny gold. You win and your second rival rushes in and battles you. I think there should be two rivals one female and one male. They should have different personalities. One of them is a friend and one of them is like silver/gold and just hates you.

RivalGator
May 16th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I want the rival to be a mean arrogant jerk. I am so sick of the friendly rivalry stuff. I want to feel hate when I see my rival. Makes it feel more realistic.
I also want the rival to be a boy. I don't want it to be the opposite. I want the rival to be a fixed person, not changing depending on who you play as. I want the rival to be mean and greedy and putting you down all the time.

=)

flight
May 16th, 2010, 03:00 PM
A more friendly rival would do it for me. It was pretty interesting the way the rivalry system worked in D/P/P. It's your best friend, but there seems to be more of a rivalry and a struggle for him to be better than you. He knows he's your best friend, but he still keeps that mentality of a rivalry and still wants to be superior to you.

At least he doesn't treat Pokemon like dirt.

JAK3
May 16th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Lol, that's exactly like it goes in the hack shiny gold. You win and your second rival rushes in and battles you. I think there should be two rivals one female and one male. They should have different personalities. One of them is a friend and one of them is like silver/gold and just hates you.
Is that really what happens? That's Ironic, haha. Honestly, a mean female rival would be a cool feature to see, because we have never had a mean female rival, heck, we have never really had female rivals! Just May, and she was my least favourite.

Kon~
May 16th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I think it should be a mix between Blue and Barry (I'm inclined to call him Pearl, but PokéSpe=/=Canon >.<) In that Blue was a real 'Rival' character - just the right mix between mind-numbingly snobbish and 'Come-on-then-Beat-me' encouraging jerkishness. IMO, Wally was too sappy to be a rival, and Silver was just too emo. :p

And then Barry was less rivally than Blue, and more friendly, so mix some of that in and we have a perfect GenV rival!

Spikey-Eared Pichu
May 16th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I'd want this:

A rival that has the "I'm always better" personality, but is either your older brother or sister, depending on your gender. This rival is arrogant, snobby, and always cracks jokes about your fighting prowess. However, since he/she is your older sibling, he/she will, in an arrogant fashion, give you advice and items using lines such as, "Well, since I'm obviously the more experienced one, I suppose you should know that...".

In appearance, the boy rival would be taller than you with an arrogant expression. His hair is brown and hidden under a beanie. He wears a jacket and jeans and his hands are always seen in his pockets. The girl rival is slightly taller than you and has a very haughty expression. Platinum blonde hair that flows down her back, a white tanktop and jean skirt and boots.

GlitchCity
May 16th, 2010, 03:08 PM
3 rivals please! One that hates your guts, one thats your neighbor, and one that you meet on your journey (friendly rival). I just hope that we get more than 1 rival in these games.

Timbjerr
May 16th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Here's a twist to consider...what if you have a rival that starts off friendly like Barry, but throughout the course of the game, he becomes deeply entwined in the villainous team, working his way up to admin level or something, and becoming more and more degrading and snarky towards you as the story unfolds.

After you encounter him in the villainous team's final hideout, you battle him and whatnot...after he loses, he comes to his senses and realizes the error in his ways...just in time to join you in a double battle against the villainous team's Big Bad duo.

Pityflame
May 16th, 2010, 03:37 PM
A more friendly rival would do it for me. It was pretty interesting the way the rivalry system worked in D/P/P. It's your best friend, but there seems to be more of a rivalry and a struggle for him to be better than you. He knows he's your best friend, but he still keeps that mentality of a rivalry and still wants to be superior to you.

At least he doesn't treat Pokemon like dirt.
Treating pokemon like dirt is the way to go.

RivalGator
May 16th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Here's a twist to consider...what if you have a rival that starts off friendly like Barry, but throughout the course of the game, he becomes deeply entwined in the villainous team, working his way up to admin level or something, and becoming more and more degrading and snarky towards you as the story unfolds.

After you encounter him in the villainous team's final hideout, you battle him and whatnot...after he loses, he comes to his senses and realizes the error in his ways...just in time to join you in a double battle against the villainous team's Big Bad duo.

Hey...

I really like that idea!

JP
May 16th, 2010, 03:41 PM

That sounds great, I'd love something like that. And to go along with that, I would really like 2 rivals... maybe one for the main quest (that being the one turned villainous) and another one that shows up for storylines afterwards and you find out he's actually some famous trainer or the son of a famous trainer.

Bloothump
May 16th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I would like a rival to be a female in all cases. I'd really like her to be mysterious, kind of like silver just not power crazy. When you first meet her, she'll be doing something you conceive as "bad" or "evil" such as breaking into a pokemart or something, and you stop her. Then, she respects the way you love your pokemon and self proclaims herself your rival. As the story progresses, she'll challenge you more and you'll see her doing more bad things. By the climax, all the bad things she did willl be revealed to be for a greater cauuse, to save the legendary or something, and you find out she's actually a really good person.

.EJ
May 16th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Mean female rival <3

Out of all generations, Blue was indeed the best one. It seems that no matter what we did, he was always one step ahead of us and he let us know it with his arrogant taunts. Silver was WAAAYYY too emo and confused. "I don't love my pokemon waaaahhh I suck". Third Gen, well not much to say there. They were okay....And then I absolutely hated the way the "rival" in Diamond & Pearl did. He was indeed funny but he didn't really have a rival feel to it. He was more of an annoying, impatient friend that occasionally battled you.

I hope they actually give you a rival with an attitude and tough pokemon to match it. Also, I would like it if she were female since we've never really had those before
(not counting the opposing player character).

Delta Stream
May 16th, 2010, 03:58 PM
females!
And not one of those gary types, with the excpetion of FR/LG/R/B/Y.
Its like he was stealthy...always slipping past us and ahead.
like .EJ said

A Pixy
May 16th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I demand more douche flavour in our rivals.

Think Blue crossed with Paul.

Izanagi
May 16th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I think there should be a female rival if you're playing as a girl, and a male rival if you're a boy. I also want your counterpart to be a rival. But not a goody two-shoe mentor one like Dawn or May.

A Pixy
May 16th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I think there should be a female rival if you're playing as a girl, and a male rival if you're a boy. I also want your counterpart to be a rival. But not a goody two-shoe mentor one like Dawn or May.

As long as there is a third person to be Gray or whatever. I really don't want to see anyone like Emerald ever again in Pokemon Special. Ekk...

Major_Tom
May 16th, 2010, 04:27 PM
This Idea sounds amazing, it would work so well! I could see the last fight, your rival just snaps and takes out his rage on you, then attacks you with a high leveled team of Pokemon! Or what about this, what if your rival was a nice person, but joined the evil team later on, but you didn't learn about it until you arrived at the evil team's base, and see your rival their chatting with the boss. That would be interesting too, but your idea sounds better. :D
I thought the same thing but instead of becoming good like some suggested he could take over the evil group in the third version of the game. Or he could dissapear and in future generations he could make his return.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
May 16th, 2010, 04:33 PM
I want a rival who is tough but not rude and act's like gary and is your older Brother who later becomes the champion! I want my rival to fight me on the way to
victory road and later goes on ahead and you then think that's the last you see of him until you finish the game until after you beat the E4 you realize that your rival and brother became the champion!

Kikoia
May 16th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I think the rival should be a girl this time! no more boy ones XD

.EJ
May 16th, 2010, 04:36 PM
That's also a good rival. The inspirational, older one that you constantly look up to and model yourself after.

Eventually surpassing him at the end when he's champion, that would be awesome.

Toshiro.
May 16th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I want a rival that is like how Gary was. I don't really like the nice rivals like the ones in the third generation, because then they don't really feel like rivals to me... So yeah, a rival like Gary would do it for me.

Bloothump
May 16th, 2010, 04:53 PM
That's also a good rival. The inspirational, older one that you constantly look up to and model yourself after.

Eventually surpassing him at the end when he's champion, that would be awesome.
Yes, a big brother type would be cool, where he really does go easy on you in all the battles. In stead of friendly, he'd be more caring, yet still superior and strong. He'd always tell you that you need to be stronger if you want to beat the pokemon league. In the end, when you surprass him, he could say he's proud of you, but also frustrated with himself. I dunno.

ahungryhamster
May 16th, 2010, 04:54 PM
The 4th Generation Rival was cool, and he brought back the Gary Oak feel,

Gary was an arrogant jerk. The D/P/Pt rival was an annoying spaz.

Izanagi
May 16th, 2010, 04:56 PM
That big brother thing is sort of like Lance in GSCHGSS.

Shuckleman
May 16th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Rival=Professor, Professor=Rival. Nuff said.

He has BOTH of the starters you didn't pick....

Noah Ridgewood
May 16th, 2010, 05:00 PM
I would really enjoy a female rival in the middle of Silver and Blue when it comes to attitude. One that thinks she's better than you, you'll never compare to her, one that's willing to do anything to get what she wants, one that's relentless and one that's demanding. Basically a mean, spoiled, ill-spirited rival who wants to crush you anytime she comes to contact with you and is disgusted with your standards. One that finds you humorous to battle simply because she sees you as a joke. I'd be interesting to have your rival be related to you, as well!! I don't like the whole "oh they grew up together always being rivals" type of plot behind them. I want one that really has some depth. Something that happened between the two to fuel that rivalry.

SpawnHyuuga
May 16th, 2010, 05:03 PM

Reminds me of Star Wars...your rival, to the dark side he turned...hmm....XD

I actually used this line (Thread title) on Facebook just a few minutes ago lol.

I agree with Izanaga, but I would like to see maybe a more influential thing like KOTOR. For once, why can't I be evil and influence others to be evil, or be good, and then bring the rival back to the good in the end. I mean there is no force, but there are still emotions and thoughts.

coconutberry
May 16th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't mind having a mean rival and a friendly rival... One of them being the other player character, of course. :P But I'd like to be able to battle with both... Not like Lucas/Dawn, where you battle with them, but never against them.

Also, please, please PLEASE nothing like Lyra/Ethan! I hated them, I really did. They were so pointless. D:

tylerab01
May 16th, 2010, 05:47 PM

I love that idea, it sounds very good :p

.EJ
May 16th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Yes, a big brother type would be cool, where he really does go easy on you in all the battles. In stead of friendly, he'd be more caring, yet still superior and strong. He'd always tell you that you need to be stronger if you want to beat the pokemon league. In the end, when you surprass him, he could say he's proud of you, but also frustrated with himself. I dunno.

Yeah, he would probably express his surprise at how we beat him and finally reached an entirely new level of battling.

I really don't like the pseudo-rivals (Dawn/Lucas or Ethan/Lyra).

HaloSonic
May 16th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Id rather your opposite gender be your rival. as much as ppl won't like it, id rather have a jerk for a rival, it would give me more inspiration to defeat them than if they were my friend.

Vrai
May 16th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Like Timbjerr said so long ago, it would be neat to have a rival with a changing personality. Like, all of the rivals we have now are just so boring and generic. They don't evolve, they don't learn, they don't understand, they don't change. I want to see a good guy get evil and then understand. I want to see something interesting.

Aro-kun
May 16th, 2010, 07:54 PM

o_o What they said ^

That is perfect. I'd also like a "Friendly" rival that is more of a challenge than Brendan/May.

Penutz
May 17th, 2010, 01:26 AM
I dont really enjoy friendly rivals. The fact that they dont cry & sook after a battle is unsastisfying. Also he should perhaps stay outta the pokemon league.

JAK3
May 17th, 2010, 01:46 AM

Hey, cool Idea! I was also thinking something along those lines!

Emilio~
May 17th, 2010, 02:17 AM
I would really like a female rival! A mean and fierce, yet very beautiful girl. She's secretly in love with you, and she tends to show it occasionally, but not very often. Her father could be like the boss of the villainous team, and she struggles between being daddy's mean girl and being a good girl (which she really is, but is not allowed to show it). As the story goes on and you battle her a few times, she becomes more and more friendly, but still has that mean attitude. When you reach the part of the story when you battle the boss of the villainous team, she'll be there to help you in a double battle against her father and his fellow amico. After this battle, the love between you grows as she continues to be your rival throughout the whole story... Or something like this.

I just thought that since the characters are getting older, why not mature and spice up the story a little bit more? xD

xDaisuke0
May 17th, 2010, 04:13 AM
I'd like to see one of Opposite Gender to your gender and them being 'bad' like Gary, and Kind of like Paul in the Anime. But end up LIKING you, a lot haha.
That'd be cute.

RYOUKI
May 17th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I would like a rival to be a female in all cases. I'd really like her to be mysterious, kind of like silver just not power crazy. When you first meet her, she'll be doing something you conceive as "bad" or "evil" such as breaking into a pokemart or something, and you stop her. Then, she respects the way you love your pokemon and self proclaims herself your rival. As the story progresses, she'll challenge you more and you'll see her doing more bad things. By the climax, all the bad things she did willl be revealed to be for a greater cauuse, to save the legendary or something, and you find out she's actually a really good person.
Interesting.

Frankly, I'd want to have 2 rivals. Both rivals that actually challenge you. I don't like the way they potray the rivals in previous games. Gary was going "Smell ya' later! but here's a fame checker." Silver is like "I'm clearly better but why are you always winning? D:". Don't even get me started on Lyra. I don't want a pseudo-rival who calls and say that her Marill has evolved but clearly not. May and Wally, which one's your rival again? I like the concept but the way they portray it is like, wtf. Wally wants to get stronger so he disappears with Ralts and stops you at the Victory Road. May is good, as she can be battled optionally, too. Barry is nice, but he alwats scares the hell outta me as he randomly bumps me. Dawn's Pokemon are weak but you double battle with her?

Maybe, I'd want something like this:
Rival A is the opposite gendered character you didn't choose and Rival B is the main rival. Rival B would appear from nowhere and challenge you from time to time, while Rival A would appear at random times with nothing major going on and can be battled optionally and would block you from entering a building if you goes ahead of the storyline by battling you. (Think of May in the Lilycove Dept. Store) and maybe some characters would imply to you about a love interest of Rival A for you (Dawn, comment from Mars and Lyra, comment from the day care elderly.) You, Rival A and B try to become the champion with you as 1st place, B at second and A for third. After that, you can battle B at Sat and Sun while A at Tues and Wed. Before entering the battle frontier, a double battle will commence and you can pick a partner, whether A or B. And you can team upwith them on the Battle Tower, too.

Asfor their attitude, maybe like Barry. You friend but mostly your rival and May, helpful but can be an obstacle. I hope they don't make it like Leaf, where she disapppears throughout the game.

Although, I'm just fine if they make the pseudo-rival having decent and gender neutral Pokemon. (Am I the only one disturbed that Lucas uses Clefairy as a main Pokemon and Ethan running around with a Marill?)

seeker
May 17th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Considering the game is in the city, and seems to be quite a big city at that, I imagine the hero and the rival having competition with eachother more so than the past games. I would also go out on a whim and think that they have a lot of common acquaintances and friends.

I hope that this time we get more of a rush and more of a connection with the rival, like previously in the games you just sort of battled them every now and then. It'd be nice to see a little more awareness that you and your rival are competitors rather than battling chums so to speak.

I might have high expectations on the matter though it'll be interesting to see what they come up with as things have been somewhat dynamic from what we've seen, I'd expect that your relationship with your rival wont differ greatly.

vietazn654
May 17th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I was thinking it was time for a girl. Period. Just one rival, and a girl. Maybe like an emo/goth girl, that seriously hates you :P That would be awesome.

Blue
May 17th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Yeah, I never really thought about the rival(s) untill now.

If there was 2 rivals i'd like to battle BOTH of them instead of one like in D/P/PT.

Cameo
May 17th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I personally wish that the new rival will be a complete jerk, if not a baddie but atleast very arrogant and mean 'cause it is always twice as funny and cool to beat the meanie's team than your old friend's who shares the same goal as you do. :'DD And for the 5th Gen games I wish that they make the new rival be girl because we've already seen four, two jerks and two really annoying happy-go-lucky rivals who have been all males.

Evee dude86
May 17th, 2010, 11:10 AM
GARY OAK FOREVER, PERIOD.

Crysta Blade
May 17th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Yes, I really want a girl rival. And I also want the opposite gender character to become a secondary rival, as opposed to just being the Professor's assistant.

I can't say I'd be happy if the new rival is a jerk in the vein of Gen 1 and 2's rivals. Calling you a weak loser when you've beaten the stuffing out of them half a dozen times makes them look like complete idiots.

Aureol
May 17th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I want a rival that you can progress past, even after you lose, and just take away the penalty. That way, they really COULD be better than you (granted, most people would just reload, but that's besides the point). Although I haven't played D/P/Pt yet (those Pokemon really put me off :\), I really like the way the rival is in that game; the best-friend kinda guy with whom you share a mutual respect for.

Rich Boy Rob
May 17th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I'd like to have one that starts off as an arrogant **** like in GSC, but as you run into and beat him/her over time they become more friendly towards you and by the time you reach the league, you're pretty good friends. Sort of progressing from Silver to Barry in terms of personality.

Basically the opposite of this.

EDIT: Okay, I didn't expect that to be censored , but never mind it still makes sense

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
May 17th, 2010, 01:49 PM
GARY OAK FOREVER, PERIOD.you mean Blue(Green in japanese) right, why do people call Blue/Green Gary just because of the anime! you don't see people call Red ash all the time!

Wonder what the main characters names will be, I mean after Gen 2 the main characters except in the FRLG remakes all had names different from the versions they even changed Golds name to Ethan and Crystals to Lyra... we got to name silver so he got no specific name change... Ruby was Brendan Sapphire was May, Diamond was Lucas, Platinum was Dawn, Pearl was the rival which again we got to name... we actually get to name every rival with the exception of RSE's rival... whether that rival was May/Brendan or Wally...
Well what do you think will be their names?
wait that was a little off topic wasn't it?

Evee dude86
May 17th, 2010, 01:57 PM
you mean Blue(Green in japanese) right, why do people call Blue/Green Gary just because of the anime! you don't see people call Red ash all the time!

Wonder what the main characters names will be, I mean after Gen 2 the main characters except in the FRLG remakes all had names different from the versions they even changed Golds name to Ethan and Crystals to Lyra... we got to name silver so he got no specific name change... Ruby was Brendan Sapphire was May, Diamond was Lucas, Platinum was Dawn, Pearl was the rival which again we got to name... we actually get to name every rival with the exception of RSE's rival... whether that rival was May/Brendan or Wally...
Well what do you think will be their names?
wait that was a little off topic wasn't it?

Well I started watching the anime b4 I started playin the game. I know em as Gary, sounds alot better than a color lol, but u right I guess, but Ima stay callin em Gary.

Benjamin510
May 17th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I would really like a female rival! A mean and fierce, yet very beautiful girl. She's secretly in love with you, and she tends to show it occasionally, but not very often. Her father could be like the boss of the villainous team, and she struggles between being daddy's mean girl and being a good girl (which she really is, but is not allowed to show it). As the story goes on and you battle her a few times, she becomes more and more friendly, but still has that mean attitude. When you reach the part of the story when you battle the boss of the villainous team, she'll be there to help you in a double battle against her father and his fellow amico. After this battle, the love between you grows as she continues to be your rival throughout the whole story... Or something like this.

I just thought that since the characters are getting older, why not mature and spice up the story a little bit more? xD YES~! since the character are older! Why not have stuff like this!? Yeah!

Apotheosis
June 7th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I'd like to have one that starts off as an arrogant **** like in GSC, but as you run into and beat him/her over time they become more friendly towards you and by the time you reach the league, you're pretty good friends. Sort of progressing from Silver to Barry in terms of personality.

I vote for that too.

Only, I want a female rival, for once. And I want to be able to choose her name, like in Gen I and II. I really didn't like the names Brendan and May............. -.-

Silver was the coolest antagonist. Game Silver was badass. Manga Silver was revengefully badass. I'd like the new rival to be like he is in Pokémon Special Manga. He and Gold are friends at the end thar~

rndm.
June 8th, 2010, 09:16 AM
THUD!!

I do NOT want this ever again. The rival should not be a hyper-active squirrel like in DPPt.

Silver was okay, but I'd like the rival to be a person known by the player for a long time.
...a bit like Blue/Green.

XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE
June 8th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I quite like the idea of having a female rival if you pick the girl, and a male rival if you pick the boy.

spike6958
June 8th, 2010, 04:29 PM
There should be multiple Rivals, the character you don't pick should be your childhood friend and the other one should be like Gary/Blue, a guy that grew up in the same town as you but you have always been rivals, and you should all get your starter Pokemon at the same time, also which ever Pokemon you pick the "Gary/Blue" character will pick the starter strongest against it, and the character you don't play as will get the starter weak against yours, also the "Gary/Blue" character could join the Evil team after loosing to you in the hopes of getting there revenge on you.

Masterge77
June 9th, 2010, 06:09 AM
I was expecting somehting like how Chaud was to Lan in the first Megaman Battle Network game, either way, we will not know until the next CoroCoro is leaked, which will probably be tomorrow morning or friday, if not, and nothing is revealed but the legendaries (which I bet will be the only "new Pokemon" in the issue and no others revealed), we will have to wait until next months issue

Hiroshi Sotomura
June 9th, 2010, 08:14 AM
We've had:
1. A pushy jerk
2. A thief/tsundere
3. The opposite person
4. The overexcited kid
5. ???

There's… a lot of archetypes to fill here. If the players are teenagers, then this rival could be some delinquent? (Nah.)

Infinity Mk.II
July 2nd, 2010, 02:12 PM
Either a rival that LOOKS like a jerk, but is later revealed to actually be supporting you with that...
Or the complete opposite, and looks like a good friend that supports you, but it's all a trap and he actually works for the bad guys.

Actually, I'd preffer the first. Or maybe just a very good and highly competitive trainer that treats his pokemon nice and wants to be the champion like you do, except with maybe more reasons than you have.

Considering the green haired dude says "I'll surpass the champion!"... it'd be interesting if he actually challenged you once you were the champion.

hever
July 2nd, 2010, 02:16 PM
We've had:
1. A pushy jerk
2. A thief/tsundere
3. The opposite person
4. The overexcited kid
5. ???

There's… a lot of archetypes to fill here. If the players are teenagers, then this rival could be some delinquent? (Nah.)

Suicidal Kid. He drags you along into a journey of chaos and all you have to do is travel around the region and battle him in order for him to stop thinking about being suicidal.

SargeantMajorKururu
July 2nd, 2010, 02:20 PM
I personally want a boy rival. Mainly because I'm sexist towards my own sex and want to beat a punk little dude's -explative deleted-in' -explative deleted- off. I would actually like a comedic relief character as like a Dawn character, but more involved with the story. Kind of like the Luigi of BW.

66hunter66
July 21st, 2011, 01:01 AM
I may be the only one, but I think Silver was the best rival. He starts off an arrogant jerk confused about who he is, and as you slowly beat him more and more, he starts to realize what a fool he is and comes to better himself. I also thought G/S/C was the best series to come out, because... It was just so different then all the other ones, even those that have come out already.

Forever
July 21st, 2011, 01:06 AM
I may be the only one, but I think Silver was the best rival. He starts off an arrogant jerk confused about who he is, and as you slowly beat him more and more, he starts to realize what a fool he is and comes to better himself. I also thought G/S/C was the best series to come out, because... It was just so different then all the other ones, even those that have come out already.

Sorry but this thread is over a year old and no longer has any need to be posted in. Plus, your post doesn't really relate since this thread wasn't even originally about the best rival and rather who the rivals would be.

If you'd like, you can post in the Pokemon Gaming Central thread on your favourite rival ("http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=256952), which is currently alive. :)
http://i.imgur.com/EkvQs.png