PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] A Story...

A Pixy
May 16th, 2010, 04:32 PM
This is simple. Do you want Black & White to have a story?

And when I say 'Story' I mean cutscenes, characters with depth, things of that variety.

As for me, I can't say I'd want one, and if it was there, I would not care. I usually skip cut scenes in most games. It might be out of place for regular RPGs, but Pokemon already does that, so it evens out.

So, would you like a deep story?

Tyrantrum
May 16th, 2010, 04:35 PM
YES!!! I would love to actually see an actual plot with the game. And I want to see some epic cut scenes too.

colcolstyles
May 16th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Sure, a story would be nice so long as they don't overdo it. I actually enjoy the lack of any seriously deep and convoluted story in Pokémon games. As long there's a little something with a team and some evil plot that I get to thwart, I think I can manage. I think that the developers struck the right balance in the third generation so I'd like to see a similar pacing that appeared in R/S/E.

Timbjerr
May 16th, 2010, 04:39 PM
seeing as everyone and their grandmother are anticipating a much darker tone and a much more sinister villainous team, it only follows that the plot will be much more involved and epic compared to previous games in the series. :P

Bay Alexison
May 16th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I'm pretty sure the games will still have the simple evil team will try to get a legendary and messes up the world somehow plot. D: However, it doesn't mean things can still be spice up a bit with that story. For instance, one thing I like about R/S is there are two teams, one good and one bad. I would like that to happen in B/W actually.

As for deep characters, the games already have them if you look at them hard enough, but the more the merrier.

seeing as everyone and their grandmother are anticipating a much darker tone and a much more sinister villainous team, it only follows that the plot will be much more involved and epic compared to previous games in the series. :P
Hm, could be. A darker tone would be nice too. I think that's likely, considering the protagonists are older.

JAK3
May 17th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Of course, every Pokemon game has a Story, sometimes even more than one! But remember, it usually has to do something with the evil team, so that's why I think their will be an evil team.

vibratingcat
May 17th, 2010, 02:21 AM
i wish there was more to it then just the usual evil team. though i wouldnt mind another one, they should do other things too. more post game story would be cool too.

Cherrim
May 17th, 2010, 06:36 AM
I'm fine with more plot-based games (like DPPt started to do) so long as it doesn't feel so out of place. :/ They fixed it up a LOT in Platinum by having Looker sort of coerce you into helping investigate the evil team. It felt a lot more natural than a 10 year old randomly running into a gang of crooks and taking them all down just because they happened to be there at the time. I like that DPPt tied in the legendary plots together but the story in BW should be tighter. I don't need cutscenes, but I would like the plot not to feel pasted on top of the game. Either tie it in intricately so it feels like it was there from the start or don't have one at all, imo.

And I'm seconding vibratingcat--I think it'd be neat to see more post-game story. I mean, all the interesting stuff can't miraculously happen before you even become Champion. They could even use it as a plot device! "HEY CHAMPION, COME SAVE THIS TOWN FROM BEING OVERRUN BY TEAM GENERIC! D:" because, you know, you're the champion. @_@;

Guy
May 17th, 2010, 06:50 AM
And I'm seconding vibratingcat--I think it'd be neat to see more post-game story. I mean, all the interesting stuff can't miraculously happen before you even become Champion. They could even use it as a plot device! "HEY CHAMPION, COME SAVE THIS TOWN FROM BEING OVERRUN BY TEAM GENERIC! D:" because, you know, you're the champion. @_@;
I like where you went with this on the plot. Every game so far has always seemed so empty with nothing more to do after you've become the region's champion. If they could somehow extend the plot of the story to continue on even after you've defeated the Elite and Champion, then I think it would keep the game at an interesting and enjoyable stand. Don't just end Team Generic's plan before you're about to become Champion, but instead continue it like it wasn't finished yet. Intertwining the idea that you're also now the Champion would play in a decent role to the whole story as well.

I'm mostly hoping for a story that isn't as generic as what we've been given the past four generations. Maybe mix it up a bit and not only focus attention on the evil organization, but on other aspects of the game as well. Have more characters deeply involved into the plot, not just the player. For instance, I like how they interacted Barry from DPPt into the plot a bit. If they could take that and make more of it, then I think that would make a decent change. So, yeah, I guess you could say I'm looking for something a bit more deeper as far as the storyline goes.

Cherrim
May 17th, 2010, 07:11 AM
I like where you went with this on the plot. Every game so far has always seemed so empty with nothing more to do after you've become the region's champion. If they could somehow extend the plot of the story to continue on even after you've defeated the Elite and Champion, then I think it would keep the game at an interesting and enjoyable stand. Don't just end Team Generic's plan before you're about to become Champion, but instead continue it like it wasn't finished yet. Intertwining the idea that you're also now the Champion would play in a decent role to the whole story as well.
Yes, yes, exactly! :D I'd like my early run-ins with Team Generic but for the final showdown? Yeah, it'd be so damn awesome if they're all paranoid about the Champion showing up to send them packing and it turns out to be that Pesky Annoying Kid from way back in the beginning. :'D

I'm not a battler so the typical end-game "oh yeah okay whatever you can go to the battle frontier now" sort of thing doesn't really interest me. But extending the plot, even just a little bit, could be interesting.

I mean, it might take away from the "omg I beat the game and I'm the best ever" feeling that they seem to go for by making the induction to the Hall of Fame the crowning moment of the game but I feel they already cheapen that by saying "Okay you're Champion now, that's great, but you're barely even a decent trainer thanks to the Battle Frontier" and I just sort of feel... what's the point of even being Champion? :( If it's not the way to be #1 trainer in the game, stop making it seem like it is and shift the end-game focus to the plot. It'd be an interesting change, for sure.

Blue
May 17th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Yeah, i'd like a storyline, my favourite storyline was the storyline that took place in Hoenn (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald)

Pokestick, good times.
May 17th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Well....... Basicly what every one else on this thread just said. Yeah.

I want advanced cutscenes (and it looks like it's gonna be that way, too >:D), really deep characters (all Gym Leaders have a of the story and leaves their Gym atleast once, that's for sure. The hero/heroine... Well, as it's a RPG (I hope), I'd personally prefer that you could make up the story yourelf, so their story isn't too much included... But then personalisation would be even more welcome... They may still do it.
And... all that. Wow, these games are turning out awesome :o

...Maybe.

Rich Boy Rob
May 17th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Yes. A resounding yes. The one thing I hated about Pokémon is how shallow it is, plot wise. I hate it when people skip through cut-scenes when they are playing games round my house, they are my favourite part of games. This is the reason I love FF games. They are always so deep, with huge, twisting storylines and massive backstories for all the characters and hundreds of side stories.

I think it'd be neat to see more post-game story. I mean, all the interesting stuff can't miraculously happen before you even become Champion. They could even use it as a plot device! "HEY CHAMPION, COME SAVE THIS TOWN FROM BEING OVERRUN BY TEAM GENERIC! D:" because, you know, you're the champion. @_@;
Also, I LOVE this idea. I hated how once you become Champion, all Team Generic's evil doings just seemed to... stop.

Okami Chi
May 17th, 2010, 08:58 AM
That is one thing the Pokemon games need a bit more of. So yes, I do want more of a story/plot.

Esper
May 17th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I mean, it might take away from the "omg I beat the game and I'm the best ever" feeling that they seem to go for by making the induction to the Hall of Fame the crowning moment of the game but I feel they already cheapen that by saying "Okay you're Champion now, that's great, but you're barely even a decent trainer thanks to the Battle Frontier" and I just sort of feel... what's the point of even being Champion? :( If it's not the way to be #1 trainer in the game, stop making it seem like it is and shift the end-game focus to the plot. It'd be an interesting change, for sure.
Back in Blue when you became champion you felt like you'd actually completed the game. I'm not saying I want the game to end after you become champion, but all this post-champion stuff takes the wind out of your sails and makes you wonder why they still put an Elite Four into every game anymore.

There really needs to be more plot after you become champion because if there are dozens of super trainers out there who can wipe the floor with you then why aren't any of them champion? Some of them would certainly want to be champion so why not give some nice story-based explanations instead of letting us wonder why they just sit around all day.

SkyAngel
May 17th, 2010, 09:06 AM
YES! I'd love if it was more in-depth and longer like FF, although since I AM a battler I have no complaints about the Battle Frontier, just the curiosity of what the hell these mega-strong trainers are doing over here instead of going over and pwning the elite four? But since I beat them anyways, no complaints :cer_boogie: ^_^ but a definite YES to a more in-depth and post-champion plot.

solaris knight
May 17th, 2010, 10:11 AM
A more in-depth story would be great. And after bringing back some old fans with HG/SS, this would be a good tinme to head for a darker tone.

Kon~
May 17th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I definitely want more of a plot than just "Here is bad guys. Stop dems! (x3)"

I don't want to just parrot what everyone else here has said, but post-league plot containing Champion duties, more interaction with Gym Leaders, cutscenes, un-cheesy dialogue and a decent rival would make this a much better game, even without the flashy new graphics and hundred-odd new animals to stuff into tiny plastic balls.

Illustration
May 17th, 2010, 10:38 AM
A deep story isn't what I really look for in games. Although I wouldn't really mind if there was one.

Lua
May 17th, 2010, 11:12 AM
it should have somthing to do with yin and yang..

and how cool would it be if all the colour seeped out and u had to play in black in white when the legendaries took a tantrum? a bit like the crazy weather u got in R/S/E when groudon/kyogre got a little cranky, except this time- no colours :D
do u think they'll bring in arceus or any of the D/P legends, for a bit of backstory?

Guy
May 17th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Yes, yes, exactly! :D I'd like my early run-ins with Team Generic but for the final showdown? Yeah, it'd be so damn awesome if they're all paranoid about the Champion showing up to send them packing and it turns out to be that Pesky Annoying Kid from way back in the beginning. :'D

I'm not a battler so the typical end-game "oh yeah okay whatever you can go to the battle frontier now" sort of thing doesn't really interest me. But extending the plot, even just a little bit, could be interesting.

It would add an interesting change, which is something I'd look forward to after repeating almost the same sequence generation after generation. Something that I hope plays into all of this is the protagonist's age. I mean they never really stressed the idea that the player would be older than ten, so hopefully that doesn't go to waste. Maybe since we're older we could have traveled before perhaps, failed at defeating the first Champion or something of that kind. I may seem to be going out of the borders with this one a little, but as long as they can make an intriguing story for the game and extend it beyond the Elite Four, I'd feel that it gives us more purpose of actually being a Champion now. The Battle Frontier is always fun, but yeah, it does kind of drift away from the idea that we're the game's Champion. Yet, why do we still have to feel so overshadowed?

I agree with you. I would like for Black and White to have a plot that extends post-game. I'd also like for some trainers to acknowledge me as the champion.

I'd also like for the gym leaders to be out of their gyms more often, and for you to have some interactions with them. A gym leader could be stuck in a ghost tower or in the forest surrounded by either Haunter or Ursaring, and I have to battle the Pokemon to free the gym leader. Then the gym leader and I can have a match in the gym.
When Platinum came out, I was glad they actually got the Gym Leaders a bit more outside of their Gyms. Something I wish they had done after DP, was take Fantina and allow us to meet her along the way since she was apparently away. An outside confrontation like that would have given the game, I don't know, somewhat of a new twist involving the Gym Leaders. I agree though, if they can somehow give the Gym Leaders more purpose in the story of the game, I think that would be a cool change.

Even after defeating the Elite and becoming the game's Champion, if they bring back rematches, then maybe we could rematch them outside their Gym. Not exactly in a house like in Platinum and HG/SS, but outside while traveling, we find them in certain areas amongst the region and rematch them there. Just an idea I thought would be nice. It could also tie into how Team Generic continues their plot after we become Champion.

Kon~
May 17th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Something that I hope plays into all of this is the protagonist's age.

I think it has been stated that the protagonists this time around are older than in previous generations? I can't remember where I heard that, but if the protagonists are older, it would allow for a deeper plotline than "Bad guy! Go, strong monster! Kill other's monsters! Yay, I winz!"

Seriously. >.<

GlitchCity
May 17th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Well I was kinda hoping for a deep story, to make things more interesting. Ooo! More 3D cut scenes like they did with PtHGSS. Those were pretty BA.

Went
May 17th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Yes, please. I loved Colosseum and XD just for that.

I mean, get x badges and become the Champion doesn't count as plot anymore, and in most games you were walking randomly and it happened that the evil guys were blocking your path or had the item you needed to progress. It felt way too forced.

I agree with Erica on this, Platinum helped a bit, but it shouldn't be too hard to help with the plot- just make it so early in the beggining the character has a reason to fight the evil guys. R/S/E and D/P/P got near it but failed- the guys are attacking a random dude or are just "mysterious" and not clearly evil.

D/P/P also helped with Charon's evil plan to do... something in Stark Mountain, but please, more Team Ggeneric characters and not just random trainers, and a big showdown and not just an "Unfought" ending.

Otherwise, a good plot twist would also help- the TG leaders are clear from the beggining and they go around telling everybody or making their evil plans incredibly obvious for everybody.

Oh, and is Team Rocket the only evil team that is ever going to take over a city or a building over two floors tall in the main series? (not counting HQ's). It's... kind of sad.

I'm kind of interested on the Rocket Grunt in Cerulean, btw. They changed his script to add a line where he says he's going to rebuild Team Rocket in his country. That's interesting, because the last script change they made to Giovanni (he left to train, instead of leaving to study Pokémon) turned out to be a foreshadowing of the future...

Benjamin510
May 17th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I Just Wish. Look At it this Way: A Random kid, Lets just name him Black, Goes on and errand for prof maple, He beats everyone in his way he fights the bad guy with no help at ALL. The End. Take it like GSCHGSS, There's Red but what if you could, Download sub plots. For Example you could get a mew subplot, and there would be Leaf/Blue/Green the plot would be like maybe like a quarter of the orginal plot. And What if we got an Expaned Verison of PBR, But with a story! a Plot! See what I mean theres so many ways to do it, But they don't use 'em!

Kenaku
May 17th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Obviously it is going to have a story. RBY had stories, but what I think you mean is like a 'Final Fantasy'-esque story. Well to you I say,"NO!"

Bloothump
May 17th, 2010, 05:38 PM
While in certain games, cut scenes are amazing and should be thrown in frequently, I donm't think pokemon is that game. I'm not opposed to cutscenes, but I don't want them to be thrown in after every accomplishment. Maybe like, five cutscenes through the game? Beginning, two in the middle, one defeating team generic... another after the championship. Yes, I want more post champ storyline. And I think we're gonna get it. As well as less-generic team generic. I had a dream where I was playing pokemon white, and team generic was like, six members. And they would cause a rucuss, but then leave just as the police arrived, and you were blamed for their vandalism and theft. So then after a couple encounters, you end up being on the run from the po po.

sumeet109
May 17th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Just fire the people who write the plot for the games and replace them with the people who write the plot for the pokemon comic books.

Benjamin510
May 17th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Just fire the people who write the plot for the games and replace them with the people who write the plot for the pokemon comic books.

You mean pokespe? That. Is. The. Best. Idea. Since. Pokémon! Yes That would be Awesome!

rossbot
May 17th, 2010, 06:12 PM
If I want a story, I will go play Final Fantasy or read Atlas Shrugged. If i just want to kick some serious tail and raise some Pokemans, I will play pokemon. Minimize the story, but bring back team rocket and not the bat crap insane environmentalists. Keep It Simple, Stupid.

GoldvsRed
May 17th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Meh, I can't decide. Personally, I preferred coming up with back-stories and such on my own... Regardless, it might be nice to have a plot for once. So long as the protagonist doesn't talk, I'm good.

Bloothump
May 17th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Meh, I can't decide. Personally, I preferred coming up with back-stories and such on my own... Regardless, it might be nice to have a plot for once. So long as the protagonist doesn't talk, I'm good.

I was thinking about this. If we were to have real anime cutscenes in this game, and we kept the whole not talk thing, then we'd have other characters constantly talking to us, and all we'd do is nod determinedly or gasp when something big happens. I really like this idea, I think it'd be kind of cute in a way.

~Wind~
May 24th, 2010, 12:37 PM
I was thinking about this. If we were to have real anime cutscenes in this game, and we kept the whole not talk thing, then we'd have other characters constantly talking to us, and all we'd do is nod determinedly or gasp when something big happens. I really like this idea, I think it'd be kind of cute in a way.

that sounds like a really, really good idea!

i was just thinking also, what if at the beggining like, you had your favourite pokemon with you already, but then team generic steals it, they could implement it as a kind of npc trade, like "gimme your _____!" then a yes/no thing, but make it like the thing with proffesors, you select no and he says: "you dont have a choice" until you select yes, then he gives you a magikarp (or some other useless pokemon) and says "have this as a consolation prize! hehehe!" for your _____.
then you are so angry that you go to the professor and ask for a pokemon, and he trades magikarp for a starter, and then you set off to try and get back your _____.

what do you think? it would give you a reason to try and beat them, maybe it's used against you in your final battle?

and maybe the reason you become champion is so you are strong enough to take on team generic's leader?

lol sorry for the wall of text XD

Wind

GoldvsRed
May 24th, 2010, 01:05 PM
The regular formula should stay, what with battling Gym Leaders/Elites/Champions. I'd like the villains to have more prominence in the storyline, like Team Galactic in Platinum. Maybe they could explain what happens to them, like showing their Boss being sent to jail, or whatever... I just don't want a huge, major overhaul of the plot, since that's what the manga and anime are there for. That, and plots that focus solely on the villain's plight are more of the spin-off games' thing, especially in Ranger. I just want the Champion to stay as the final boss.

PalkiaSpace
May 24th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I would like the protagoists to already have a team of pokemon, becuase they are like what...17? thet could of already traveled the whole region and made a beastly team, and like red in hgss, and gsc, goes into training for years and no ever sees him, until one day they come home with no pokemon, because they released their pokemon, and becuase out of bordome decide to traverse the region again with new pokemon, and everytime you go to a new route the screen dims brown like an old photo and the player has a flashback of the time they were there with there pokemon and the people who helped them.

maybe that's changing everything too much....

GoldvsRed
May 24th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I would like the protagoists to already have a team of pokemon, becuase they are like what...17? thet could of already traveled the whole region and made a beastly team, and like red in hgss, and gsc, goes into training for years and no ever sees him, until one day they come home with no pokemon, because they released their pokemon, and becuase out of bordome decide to traverse the region again with new pokemon, and everytime you go to a new route the screen dims brown like an old photo and the player has a flashback of the time they were there with there pokemon and the people who helped them.

maybe that's changing everything too much....

Yeah... I can't really imagine how something like that would work out without confusing people. That would make a great spin-off, though, maybe you could even play as Red...

PiPVoda
May 24th, 2010, 05:25 PM
It would be nice if we had a story line to go along with collecting the gym badges. Something like the storyline in RSE (like Suicine said) would be nice but with an added twist to it. Maybe have one of the side characters turn evil, or have an undercover agent in the team that is in b&w come on your side..Yeah, I can't really think of anything right now.

pong08
May 24th, 2010, 09:09 PM

I also agree with this idea. I've endured 4 full generations of bland storylines from the games, and it's about time they went into a darker storyline with actual shipping hints in them. And I love games with actual full epic cut scenes like the Final Fantasy Series and the Kingdom Hearts Series. And from the way it looks now with the main characters being around 16-18 years old..... a darker plot line would be most appropriate and REALISTIC in my opinion.

Massai
May 24th, 2010, 09:12 PM
One of three as of the time of my vote that do not care.

Honestly, if I want to play an RPG for the story, a game where I'll have literally over 500 party members to choose from is not my ideal place to start. I play Pokemon for it's cute/awesome looking creatures, fun and addictive game play that is simple on the surface and very deep underneath.

Azzurra
May 24th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Yes, I'm a back story is a must when making Pokemon games. I'm sure they're going to be completely original with this idea. (Besides the whole team shebang and all).

GoldvsRed
May 25th, 2010, 07:30 PM
One of three as of the time of my vote that do not care.

Honestly, if I want to play an RPG for the story, a game where I'll have literally over 500 party members to choose from is not my ideal place to start. I play Pokemon for it's cute/awesome looking creatures, fun and addictive game play that is simple on the surface and very deep underneath.

THIS. Besides, fan-theories are fun to read, and the back-story would kill the fan-theory.

Yamikarasu
May 25th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I am crossing my fingers that the fact that the protagonists are supposed to be older means the plot will be more developed/darker. In my opinion, GameFreak has really let us down with every game made so far. They're the best games in the handheld market, to be sure, but GameFreak has never really pushed itself. They're like a brilliant teenager who slacks off in school because he/she know's they'll pass with only minimal effort.

Just look at the other major Nintendo franchises: Super Mario Galaxy 2 just came out, and it's supposedly the best game since Ocaraina of Time (I haven't had the chance to play it yet). The Mario team pushes themselves, and they took a risk when they made a platformer with a completely new physics system. From what I've heard, practically every level brings something new to the franchise, and that's what has earned it such rave reviews.

GameFreak needs to ask themselves: Why can't they be more like Mario? Why are they alright with reviews that are the same with every new game they release? "The formula has remain unchanged, and although these are still fun and addictive games, GameFreak once again has not brought anything drastically new to the franchise."

Please, GameFreak. Shake things up a bit. If you make a mistake, and the game is terrible because you took a risk, I'll still be there for the next generation. Give us an epic plot. Give us practical online functionality. Deviate from the formula of traveling around a region collecting 8 badges.

An epic story line is what I want in a new Pokemon game, more than anything really. The second would be a Pokemon MMORPG.

pong08
May 25th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I am crossing my fingers that the fact that the protagonists are supposed to be older means the plot will be more developed/darker. In my opinion, GameFreak has really let us down with every game made so far. They're the best games in the handheld market, to be sure, but GameFreak has never really pushed itself. They're like a brilliant teenager who slacks off in school because he/she know's they'll pass with only minimal effort.

Just look at the other major Nintendo franchises: Super Mario Galaxy 2 just came out, and it's supposedly the best game since Ocaraina of Time (I haven't had the chance to play it yet). The Mario team pushes themselves, and they took a risk when they made a platformer with a completely new physics system. From what I've heard, practically every level brings something new to the franchise, and that's what has earned it such rave reviews.

GameFreak needs to ask themselves: Why can't they be more like Mario? Why are they alright with reviews that are the same with every new game they release? "The formula has remain unchanged, and although these are still fun and addictive games, GameFreak once again has not brought anything drastically new to the franchise."

Please, GameFreak. Shake things up a bit. If you make a mistake, and the game is terrible because you took a risk, I'll still be there for the next generation. Give us an epic plot. Give us practical online functionality. Deviate from the formula of traveling around a region collecting 8 badges.

An epic story line is what I want in a new Pokemon game, more than anything really. The second would be a Pokemon MMORPG.

I think that statement would make a great letter to Game Freak.... and I completely agree with you. Pokemon is like a brilliant teenager who refuses to push his or herself.... a risk would be defenitely nicer.

~Platina's Jason~
May 25th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I want a plot that changes slighty based on choices you make, such as the starter you pick or the size of you team. I'd also love it if you could advance through the game by either challenging the gyms or completing sidequest like the Pokeathalon/Contest instead.

Eeohnex
May 25th, 2010, 09:23 PM
YES!!! I would love to actually see an actual plot with the game. And I want to see some epic cut scenes too.
Same here, it would be pretty nice to see more cut scenes like the ones we had in SS/HG with the three dogs.

Azzurra
May 25th, 2010, 10:24 PM

Having a more drastic and planned out storyline would be wonderful. I totally agree with this statement.

I'd also love it if they delved away from the Legendary Pokemon plot and made it more original this time. That's one reason why I absolutely love R/B/Y, not because it's the first game to come out, but because of the original elements in the game.

Everything after R/S/E has been an absolute copy, and it would be a good change if they adapted to what the majority wants instead of what's gotten them by so far.

Astinus
May 25th, 2010, 11:08 PM
I've been hoping for a more thought-out storyline for quite some time while playing these games. It would just make the games more interesting to play. The basic part of the storyline, which would be the trying to become Champion and getting involved in the evil team's plot, gets old after a while. As others have said, the idea that a starting trainer gets involved with saving the world is a difficult idea to follow. Same with how the game just ends after the title of Champion is reached.

Those are my main problems with the plot of the game. There needs to be some direction to the plot. Show why the main characters wants to be Champion, instead of the game forcing us to do so. (That was what I noticed in HG/SS while playing it: the NPCs said that the player should go for the Gym Challenge, and that was it.)

It's the same with fighting the evil team. Platinum solved this with Looker, but still. Why is the fate of the world (like R/S/E) in the hands of a trainer who hasn't had their Pokemon long? The final defeat of the evil team should come from someone who has the title of Champion because it makes more sense.

Still, I don't want the plot to get too in-depth and offer too much back story. One of my favorite things about the Pokemon games is how open-ended the past is. There's an ability there to play around with what little facts that are given and interpret them in a new way. It's just more fun.

Guess what I'm asking for is just a little bit more than what's been given, but not too much added to the story. And some sense, and something added to the end of the game so that there's a reason for everyone to play it. Not just the Battle Frontier (and that ol' trying to complete the Pokedex deal).

I don't want the story to get too dark, though. The Pokemon games will always be very light-hearted to me, and to see them take a darker turn than what they have before (with Colo. and XD) would just feel really different, and not like Pokemon games.

Droidz
May 26th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Yup i would love black and white to have a storyline. They're always interesting.

ThePinkDragon
May 26th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Any video game with a solid storyline is better than one without a good story behind it. A good plot gives your gameplay meaning!

SinisterEternity
May 26th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Oh yes, a plot !

And if possible, this time they could find some new foes ideas, not Team /insertnameofteamhere, ne ? x/
Would be cool to actually have something new to fight in the story o:
But that's my opinion xD

Aureol
May 26th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Would I like a plot? Yes. Would I like a plot if the quality of said plot is about the same as the anime? Probably not...

This is a children's game, so I doubt that they would come up with anything I'd actually enjoy. If they did pull it off though, I'd be ecstatic!

MrGriszell
June 18th, 2010, 01:10 AM
one thing that i like about the dp season is that ash and friends are able to meet the eliet four members, (thats good because even after 10 years ash still isnt strong enough(or old enough) to make it there ...Sigh(-L-)..) But anyways, i know they do it with the champion, but would you like to see the eliet four members involved in the story line, maybe just a side story for each of them with there back story to show that they are 1. Famouse for being the strongest trainers in the region and 2. they are not just a person waiting for you to beat them, and then never acknowldge it when you come to face them again. What do you guys think?

Calder
June 18th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Atleast it will explain why they all know your name haha STALKERS!!! Anyways I think they did that with the Ice chick in FR/LG... I didn't like it but meh...

Cherrim
June 18th, 2010, 04:18 AM
one thing that i like about the dp season is that ash and friends are able to meet the eliet four members, (thats good because even after 10 years ash still isnt strong enough(or old enough) to make it there ...Sigh(-L-)..) But anyways, i know they do it with the champion, but would you like to see the eliet four members involved in the story line, maybe just a side story for each of them with there back story to show that they are 1. Famouse for being the strongest trainers in the region and 2. they are not just a person waiting for you to beat them, and then never acknowldge it when you come to face them again. What do you guys think?
I love the idea. :( The games definitely need more accumulative interaction between the player character and the NPCs.

But merged your thread into a previous plot thread where similar things were discussed. :3

Tanaki
June 18th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Every handheld game has somewhat of a story, which tends to be weak and rather recycled. The formula for every Pokemon handheld so far has been:
1. Trainer getting his/her first pokemon and learning the ropes while delivering some package.
2. Evil team grunts harassing someone with something of value.
3. Lots of rival and evil team fights along with a lot of sidequests involving getting keys to open the door to a department building or equivalent.
4. Defeating the evil team leader(s) after going through an insanely elaborate maze.
5. Fight the game's main legendary.
6. Final battle with the rival around victory road where they become aware of their shortcomings and why they continually lose.
7. Elite 4
8. Journey to some new region with optional challenges to keep you interested in the game.
(Third game always elaborates on the backstories of characters that were not expressly stated in the previous 2 games and 1 or 2 characters are added who appear at random points trying to thwart each evil team's plots)

There's always staples that they uphold, like getting a key item to make a pokemon get out of the way, scientists getting a part to their machine stolen, etc. This is pretty much the same formula they've used for every single game. I don't personally believe that they'll make an explicit effort to change it.

ElectricScyther
June 18th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I would like to see a story that's not too involved, but not too much like the ones that we saw in Gen I through IV.

560cool.
June 18th, 2010, 12:23 PM
We need something better than Team + Badges + Legends. We had these, we're sick of them, and since I'm not creatinve, I won't think on something and Nintendo should throw in something new !
Also, cutscenes like Ho-Oh/Lugia in HGSS. Yes, DO want ! :D

Zorua
June 18th, 2010, 06:50 PM

I'm mostly hoping for a story that isn't as generic as what we've been given the past four generations. Maybe mix it up a bit and not only focus attention on the evil organization, but on other aspects of the game as well. Have more characters deeply involved into the plot, not just the player. For instance, I like how they interacted Barry from DPPt into the plot a bit. If they could take that and make more of it, then I think that would make a decent change. So, yeah, I guess you could say I'm looking for something a bit more deeper as far as the storyline goes.

This, please. Everytime you beat the game, you become "Champion" but like, the game restarts and as soon as it does, nobody ever recalls you being Champion at all. I actually want a post-story, something whereas people can actually remember you as the new Pokemon Champion and treat you as such, and you're given a specific duty to do(such as what Lightning said) like defeating Team x in a final showdown, the only difference is that you're the champion now!

The previous games before Platinum barely had a plot and followed the generic 8 badges tradition. I'm hoping Black and White breaks this tradition on such a massive scale that getting just 8 badges and beating the Elite Four is just a minor part of the game, that there's actually more out there to do.

Yoshimi
June 18th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Lol @ Gamefreak making a game with a story.
As nice as it would be, it's just wishful thinking. At least, with the first 2 versions it is since the 3rd version has a bit more plot.