PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] Guess! That! Name!

Bloothump
May 16th, 2010, 05:11 PM
So, the point of this thread is to guess names for pokemon, places, and people within Pokemon Black and White that have only been revealed in japanese. So basically, guess the english names for the starters or the rivals, or whatever else gets revealed over time.

Personally, I don't want to guess the names for the rivals, but I'm really hoping that they aren't as bland and regular as they have been in the past. Such as: Ethan, Lucas, Brendon, etc. I haven't really minded the females, though they too have been pretty boring. The best name in my opinion was Lyra. However, I still prefer something a little more fantasy-esque than that.

coconutberry
May 16th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I think that Tsutaja should be called Treequil... JK, JK.

But seriously, I have no clue. I really hope that Zorua and Zoroark get to keep their names. I don't think I can imagine any other names for them. I'd like for Pokabu to have a similar-sounding name in English as well.

A Pixy
May 16th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Usually, Pokemon are named after their type and the animal they're based off of.

I'm not creative enough to come up with them, but remember, Turtwig is just turtle and twig. ;D

Haza
May 16th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I want the grass starter to be named Snivy, and I am sure that the male protagonists name is Black and the female is White as far is the future Manga goes.

Bloothump
May 16th, 2010, 05:20 PM
I want the grass starter to be named Snivy, and I am sure that the male protagonists name is Black and the female is White as far is the future Manga goes.
I'm gonna say that's a pretty safe bet xD I wouldn't mind the names Blanca and Negra for some female NPCs. Snivy is good, but it almost doesn't sound devious enough...

Weber
May 16th, 2010, 05:23 PM
so just as a guess im going to say frig for the fire starter... any one get it?

Timbjerr
May 16th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I made a blog entry (http://www.pokecommunity.com/blog.php?b=7467) on this earlier this week. XD

Although, I already think I'm wrong, so I'm changing my guesses to:
Tsutaaja -> Mossnak
Pokabu -> Flamoink
Mijumaru -> Beaotter

As a bonus, I'm guessing Pokabu's evolved forms to be named Emboar and Blazorback. XD

Ωmega
May 16th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I don't think Flamoink is good, imo. It has to be...cuter. I was leaning towards Floink.

Tsutaja --> Gartivy
Pokabu --> Floink
Mijumaru --> Lutrain

Bloothump
May 16th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I don't think Flamoink is good, imo. It has to be...cuter. I was leaning towards Floink.

Tsutaja --> Gartivy
Pokabu --> Floink
Mijumaru --> Lutrain

Hmm. I don't like Floink either. the Flame is almost too big of fire for the first evo. (Torch, Char, Cinder) Besides, considering Spoink... Spoink and Floink.

Esper
May 16th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I don't see much point in guessing what the characters' names will be since we don't yet know what they're called in Japanese. Unless they're just called Black and White, but I don't think that'll happen outside the manga.

A few quick guesses: Aquott for Mijumaru. Rusleaf for Tsutaja, and Squeat for Pokabu.

Bloothump
May 16th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I don't see much point in guessing what the characters' names will be since we don't yet know what they're called in Japanese. Unless they're just called Black and White, but I don't think that'll happen outside the manga.

A few quick guesses: Aquott for Mijumaru. Rusleaf for Tsutaja, and Squeat for Pokabu.

Because the japanese/english names for the rivals/characters really have no corrolation. Best names so far imo. I especially like Aquott. So cute <3

Hamilton
May 16th, 2010, 06:19 PM
i think they should be called
Mijumaru (or something close- the original is fine imo)
Sutaja (because you know little kids will never find out the T is silent)
Pokabu
seriously, they all work like that- just a little re-lettering so the little kids can get it

Timbjerr
May 16th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Pokabu
seriously, they all work like that- just a little re-lettering so the little kids can get it

I know you mean well, but this scenario's not gonna happen. Out of the twelve previous starters, only one has retained its Japanese name in the English market, and that was because the pun in its name was based on Latin and Spanish roots instead of the more common Japanese ones. :P

Dillon_68
May 16th, 2010, 06:56 PM

Tsutaja --> Gartivy
Pokabu --> Floink
Mijumaru --> Lutrain

Love Lutrain!

I think they will be:
Sneave (Snake Leave)
Calioink (Caliente Oink)
Deprotter (Depressed Otter)

Vrai
May 16th, 2010, 09:12 PM

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I can totally see Aquott and Rusleaf being awesome names. Squeat is okay but not as good. :3

Zoroark will likely be like Rukario in the aspect of changing like one or two letters.

Spherical Ice
May 16th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Oh god I hope it doesn't become Zoloarc. XD

I'm really liking Scarf's name, especially Aquott. I do wonder what Game Freak mhave in store, though...

Timbjerr
May 16th, 2010, 10:46 PM
I actually don't foresee Zoroark getting its name changed since its etymology is Spanish and English, not Japanese...

Zorro (Spanish for 'fox') + Dark = ???

minchan
May 17th, 2010, 12:01 AM
I think Zorua and Zoroark will keep their names. It would be kinda dumb if they didn't since their names aren't really based off Japanese words anyway.

As for the starters, this is what I've been thinking...

Tsutaja: Slitheaf (slither + leaf)
Pokabu: Emboink (ember + oink)
Mijumaru: Ottell (otter + shell)

Esper
May 18th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Whatever they call Pokabu I really hope it doesn't have 'oink' in it. People are already annoyed that there's another pig pokemon next to Spoink and that woouldn't help at all.

Cyberglass
May 18th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I don't know about the other two, but based on the meaning of the japanese name (warm + oink) I think Gruntoasty would be a good name for Pokabu.

MartinJF
May 18th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Hmm...

Pokabu...
At least ord evolved forms might be something close to Emboar, Pignite or Porkpyro.

Timbjerr
May 18th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Whatever they call Pokabu I really hope it doesn't have 'oink' in it. People are already annoyed that there's another pig pokemon next to Spoink and that woouldn't help at all.

What other words are associated with pigs other than "pig" itself? I'd like to make puns using "hog", "boar", and "razorback", but those are usually used to describe larger wild pigs...more suitable for pokabu's evolved forms. :P

We can start calling him "Burnham" "Bacoheat". XD

MartinJF
May 18th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Burningham????? Lmao

well, Pigember?

Bloothump
May 18th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Burningham????? Lmao

well, Pigember?

The problem with that name is it's just two words put together, making it too obvious and not punny enough.

Pigs don't just oink, they "grunt" and they "snort", so you could use those in the name.

MartinJF
May 18th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I was kinda going for Pigferno, When I remember that Monferno ruins the chance for that...

Bluerang1
May 18th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Tsutaji - Leavi (Leaf, ivy...
Pokabu - I love it as it is, so cute to say :3 but, hmmm. Perig (Pig, Flame,Fire)
Mijuramu - Tosea (Otter, sea)

Tried to make them cute, but not very creative :(

pokemongarnet
May 18th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I think Planthon will be the 3rd evo of the grass starter, Aquatter, and Piglare

minchan
May 18th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I just got some more ideas for Pokabu:

Emblet (Ember + Piglet)
Flaram (Flare + Ham)
Hamburn (Ham + Burn)

MistahDude
May 18th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Smugleaf
Pyroink
Wotter

Dillon_68
May 18th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Smugleaf
Pyroink
Wotter

TALK ABOUT FREAKY! I had a dream the other night and the water starters name was confirmed to be Wotter (sounds like water and has the word otter in it). Weird that someone has the same idea as my dream. =P

R3D
May 19th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Smugleaf, because that treesnake looks so smug.

metapod23
May 19th, 2010, 06:07 AM
I posted another thread before I saw this one (it got merged into another thread), but I like:

Pyriglett for the fire starter (pyro + piglett).

Briadder is my guess for the grass starter (brier + adder)

If they do change Zorua, I hope they make a simple change like, Zaura, which is basically the same, but more American-y (Zorro as someone said, is spanish for fox + aura).

sampika08
May 19th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Fotiglet (mixture between Fotia (greek for fire) and piglet)
Whelpool (a whelp is a baby otter, pool (also sounds like whirlpool)
Hissreed (hiss and reed (gress)

ILoveDragonite
May 19th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Fotiglet (mixture between Fotia (greek for fire) and piglet)
Whelpool (a whelp is a baby otter, pool (also sounds like whirlpool)
Hissreed (hiss and reed (gress)
Did you happen to cough those names out or are you for serious?

sampika08
May 19th, 2010, 08:37 AM
not serious :L I just wanted to put some names out there so if they're right I look like a god :P Although on reflection I hope they aren't :P

minchan
May 19th, 2010, 12:30 PM
not serious :L I just wanted to put some names out there so if they're right I look like a god :P Although on reflection I hope they aren't :P

I also hope they aren't. XD

I wonder what secondary types, if any, the starters (and/or their evolutions) will have... I suspect Pokabu will eventually be part ground? (mud, pigs, get it?) If we knew that, it might be easier to figure out. Like for example, Mudkip (which btw is my favorite pokemon in case you couldn't tell) is not part ground but evolves into a part ground type so therefore "mud" makes sense in its name. It might be easier to guess names if we had insight to other types...

If Tsutaja evolves into a part poison type, just say, I was thinking its evo might be called "Cobnom" for cobra + venom but then again... maybe not. (If you know what I'm saying, great. If not, then it's best you stay not knowing)

My guess about Mijumaru before, Ottell (otter + shell), well about that. I came up with something stupid but I feel I need to share: "Shelter" tis a word. XD (and sounds too much like "shellder" But it was a random thought. And too good not to post. XD

Norisom
May 19th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I wanna know what do you guys think the names for the new characters will be? You can also talk about what you think would be good names for them and so on.

PiPVoda
May 19th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Boy--Shane
Gir--Mayella..lmao jk got that from TKAM.

but seriously, I think black and white should be their names! Boy can be black girl can be white. If that isn't gonna happen then the boy can be Shane like I said, he looks like a shane doesn't he?

Timbjerr
May 19th, 2010, 05:20 PM
To follow the old naming conventions yet still be exotic, I gave them the names Negro and Blanca. If you wanna mutate these into more normal names (or are afraid of associating the guy with an old racial slur), Nick and Bianca are good too. I dunno, I think the girl looks like a Bianca, and the guy...well, I don't know. XD

PiPVoda
May 19th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Bianca could work, but how could you not see the 'shane' in the guy :D. Nick is okay but I feel as if that name is too common for a pokemon game protagonist.

So Shane for guy (or whatever) and Bianca or white for the girl. Hmm, wonder why I never though of Bianca.

dooxer
May 19th, 2010, 05:36 PM
DIJON i always call people that. if Dijon is boy, then a girl should be Mauve lol.

Cherrim
May 19th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I wanna know what do you guys think the names for the new characters will be? You can also talk about what you think would be good names for them and so on.
We already had a thread for guessing at official names of released items (cities, people, Pokémon, etc.) so I merged your thread into it.

jbs829
May 19th, 2010, 07:36 PM
blazorback would be a badass name imo

Gymnotide
May 19th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I just got some more ideas for Pokabu:

Emblet (Ember + Piglet)
Flaram (Flare + Ham)
Hamburn (Ham + Burn)

lolololol Hamburn
It evolves into the Fire / Ghost type burnt barbeque Pokemon.

Sammuthegreat
May 20th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Putting all the best suggestions together for Pokabu's evolution chain:

Squeat -- (lv 16) --> Emboar -- (lv.36) --> Blazorback.

Hells yes.

Timbjerr
May 20th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Then it's decided I guess, Blazorback and Emboar are just epic for NoA to not use. XD

Bluerang1
May 20th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Boy--Shane
Gir--Mayella..lmao jk got that from TKAM.

but seriously, I think black and white should be their names! Boy can be black girl can be white. If that isn't gonna happen then the boy can be Shane like I said, he looks like a shane doesn't he?

I'll totally not LOL if I wasn't studying that book in English! xD

To follow the old naming conventions yet still be exotic, I gave them the names Negro and Blanca. If you wanna mutate these into more normal names (or are afraid of associating the guy with an old racial slur), Nick and Bianca are good too. I dunno, I think the girl looks like a Bianca, and the guy...well, I don't know. XD

:| ... moving on, she totally looks like a Bianca! Trucker-chick like :)

raekuul
May 20th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Leavenom, Wotter, and Baykin.

Professor Willow

Leader Ryan (Dragon)
Leader Smith (Steel)
Leader Goro (Fire)
Leader Shelley (Water)
Leader Rose (Grass)
Leader Penny (Flying)
Leader Amy (Ice)
Leader Kope (Rock)

Elite Four Bruce (Fighting)
Elite Four Tim (Poison)
Elite Four Maple (Psychic)
Elite Four Jewel (Ghost)
Champion Noa (Normal)

Team Rondo
Rondo Admin Sandy
Rondo Admin Sparky
Rondo Admin Shade
Rondo Leader Max

New NPC Types:
Foreigner - Specializes in Version-Exclusive Pokemon
Fireman - Mix of Fire and Water, heavy Speed emphasis
Suit - Either Rare Pokemon or Steel Pokemon, heavy Special Attack emphasis
Cabbie - Electric, defensive emphasis
Vagabond - Plays to Win, maybe Dark pokemon?
Undergrad - Updated Schoolboy/Schoolgirl
Nurse - Stall Teams

Kai Lee Reddtail
May 20th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Pokabu

Pogon (pig+hog+bonfire)
Kindlett (kindle+piglett)
Tindig (tinder+pig)
Squint (squeal+flint)
Fwoosh (Self-explainatory, my brother's suggestion.)

Mujimaru

Ottlet (otter+droplet)

Tsutaja

Serbud (serpent+bud)
Nagaling (Naga+seedling)
Hisprout (hiss+sprout)
Sersprout (serpent+sprout)

Bloothump
May 24th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I've got it! Protagonists' names:

F: Amber/Alex
Male: Matt/Leon

Hopefully they're better than that, but I wouldn't mind the above at all.

countryemo
May 24th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Pokabu

Pogon (pig+hog+bonfire)
Kindlett (kindle+piglett)
Tindig (tinder+pig)
Squint (squeal+flint)
Fwoosh (Self-explainatory, my brother's suggestion.)

Mujimaru

Ottlet (otter+droplet)

Tsutaja

Serbud (serpent+bud)
Nagaling (Naga+seedling)
Hisprout (hiss+sprout)
Sersprout (serpent+sprout)
The best ones :P

[Of this post, i didnt check all :p]

Porygon-Z
May 25th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Anyone got any good Ideas for english names for the new starters.

I would suggest.

Turfasp

Gruntash

Shelpup

Sammuthegreat
May 25th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Smugleaf

Pignition

Wotter

I know they're the "standard" ones being used at the moment, but they're my favourites... Also,

Emboar and Blazorback for Pignition's evos...

Cherrim
May 25th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Anyone got any good Ideas for english names for the new starters.

I would suggest.

Turfasp

Gruntash

Shelpup

Merged your thread in with the existing "guess the English names" thread~

fenyx4
May 25th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Smugleaf

Pignition

Wotter

I know they're the "standard" ones being used at the moment, but they're my favourites... Also,

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Emboar and Blazorback for Pignition's evos[/S-HIGHLIGHT]...

Actually, I was hoping for Emboar to be Pokabu's 1st evo, and Pignition to be the name for its final evo (I usually don't get a chance to say the word 'ignition', which IMO is very fun to say, so this would be a perfect opportunity for the term to be implemented!). As for Pokabu's actual name, I don't know... Nevertheless, the names should be awesome.
I would love for Tsutaaja to keep her Japanese name, though; looks like a cool word and is very fun to say!

The reasons I'm against Blazorback as a name is because the 'blaze' part reminds me too much of Blaziken, and because Razorback is what I'm nicknaming my Pokabu (and seeing a nickname that's very similar to the original name kind of wrecks it for me)

Bloothump
May 25th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I personally dislike the lame "Wotter". I really enjoy "Aquott", it's cuter, and way more original.

Neiko Star
May 25th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Pokabu --> Emblet, Emblitz, Flaember

I feel that a simpler and cuter name would suit it better, so personally I'd go with Emblet. >.> Flaember sounds like a typical Fakemon name.

Mijumaru --> Shocea, Seattel, Othell

Seattel's my fave out of these three. And I totally fail at Tsutaaja so I'm not going to post them. >o<

PokéToast
May 25th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Kyle

Richard

Charles

I think they fit, right? :laugh:

ThePinkDragon
May 25th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Pokabu

The 'T' is not silent in Tsutaja. :)

manomow
May 25th, 2010, 04:00 PM
All i know is that the water type will be what everyone calls it:
WOTTOR!

Dillon_68
May 25th, 2010, 04:03 PM
The 'T' is not silent in Tsutaja. :)

The first "T" is silent.

I'm guessing the Grass one will be...Ivyconda, lol.

ThePinkDragon
May 25th, 2010, 04:05 PM
The first "T" is silent.

No dear, it's not. :) It is pronounced exactly as it's spelled.

Bloothump
May 25th, 2010, 04:28 PM

Even so, it sounds kind of the same.

ThePinkDragon
May 25th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Even so, it sounds kind of the same.

That's true. It is almost the same, but it's not the same. ;)

PiPVoda
May 25th, 2010, 05:20 PM
I've got it! Protagonists' names:

F: Amber/Alex
Male: Matt/Leon

Hopefully they're better than that, but I wouldn't mind the above at all.

Alex too common of a name, Amber okay but dont' really like it.

Male: Matt, again too common IMO for it to be used, Leon...reminds me of that gay guy from Roseanne.

A lot of people are calling the female White or Bianca. I like these names b/c they seem to fit imo. Though I wouldn't mind Amber as the female's name, but what if they want to name a future pokemon game Amber version? o_O?

I think he meant that it has a 'ss' sound at the beginning since it seems like a lot of Japanese words with 'Tsu' in them are pronounced as 'su' like making the t silent, but to me it sounds like the t blends in with the s and u. Confusing? In other words, you're both right :D

Pokabu --> Emblet, Emblitz, Flaember

I feel that a simpler and cuter name would suit it better, so personally I'd go with Emblet. >.> Flaember sounds like a typical Fakemon name.

Mijumaru --> Shocea, Seattel, Othell

Seattel's my fave out of these three. And I totally fail at Tsutaaja so I'm not going to post them. >o<

Hmm, how funny I named my charmander in SS Embzo which kind of sounds like Emblet. Not bad names though.

I figured that miumaru would get its name greek possibly. Sea otters are part of the weasel family and are called Enhydra Lutis I figured that Game Freak could take from this, I also have some other ideas of possible combos.

My Idea for Mijumaru:
Mimaro (from pitre which in French = clow and maro which means sea in latin)
Womer (from wobble and mer which is sea in French)
Otowee or Ottowe/Ottowee (baby sea otters make a 'wee' sound and the otto is just from otter )

I know....I stink at coming up with names.

Dillon_68
May 25th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Lol, I'm confused at the whole "tsu" thing. Some people pronounce it with the "t"? Or is it some sort of unexplainable sound made when pronounced? idk, lol.

ThePinkDragon
May 25th, 2010, 08:05 PM
The 'T' runs in with the 's'. So it's pronounced the way you see it.

I took Japanese for 3 years. :) You are supposed to use the 'T' anytime you see 'tsu' used in a Japanese word. It almost sounds like 'su', but you press your tongue up against your front teeth to bring the 't' into it, making 'tsu'. If you say 'su' instead of 'tsu' then you're mispronouncing the word. Plus, why would they have 'tsu' in their alphabet if it was pronounced just like 'su'? In that case they would have just made it 'tu'.

PiPVoda
May 25th, 2010, 08:26 PM
The 'T' runs in with the 's'. So it's pronounced the way you see it.

I took Japanese for 3 years. :) You are supposed to use the 'T' anytime you see 'tsu' used in a Japanese word. It almost sounds like 'su', but you press your tongue up against your front teeth to bring the 't' into it, making 'tsu'. If you say 'su' instead of 'tsu' then you're mispronouncing the word. Plus, why would they have 'tsu' in their alphabet if it was pronounced just like 'su'? In that case they would have just made it 'tu'.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm still lol-ing at the fact we were discussing how to pronounce the first 3 words of Tsutaja's name. Since you took Japanese for 3 years I assume you got the most out of it and can get b&w when they come out this fall in Japan?! I soo would, but I'm not studying Japanese...(darn it why couldn't game freak be a korean or french company :D)

ThePinkDragon
May 25th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the explanation. I'm still lol-ing at the fact we were discussing how to pronounce the first 3 words of Tsutaja's name. Since you took Japanese for 3 years I assume you got the most out of it and can get b&w when they come out this fall in Japan?! I soo would, but I'm not studying Japanese...(darn it why couldn't game freak be a korean or french company :D)

Ha ha ha. Nah, I wouldn't get the game in Japanese even if I could. :) It was a long time ago ... I still remember some of it, but not a whole lot. 4 years in, you'll be surprised by how little you've learned. Japanese is a formidable language to learn!

Timbjerr
May 25th, 2010, 08:35 PM
...just throwing in another trio of names. XD

Aspleaf -> Ivyper -> Serpentree

Pyroink -> Warmhog -> Blazorack

Shellot -> Bearott -> Aqursa

Yeah...for some reason, I see Tsutaja evolving into a serpentine dragon thing, Pokabu into a flaming warthog, and Mijumaru into an aquatic bear. Not the greatest, but just another stab in the dark for me. XD

PiPVoda
May 25th, 2010, 08:47 PM
...just throwing in another trio of names. XD

Yeah...for some reason, I see Tsutaja evolving into a serpentine dragon thing, Pokabu into a flaming warthog, and Mijumaru into an aquatic bear. Not the greatest, but just another stab in the dark for me. XD

I love the names! Some of the best I've seen so far! Aspleaf, Pyroink (cute), and Shellot.

raekuul
May 26th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Updating my earlier guesses:

Barkasp, Leavenom, Arboison
Watelp, Flotter, Glotter
Baykin, Brikiln, Fryarback

Professor Willow

Leader Ryan (Dragon)
Leader Smith (Steel)
Leader Goro (Fire)
Leader Shelley (Water)
Leader Rose (Grass)
Leader Penny (Flying)
Leader Amy (Ice)
Leader Kope (Rock)

Elite Four (Poison)
Elite Four Jewel (Ghost)
Champion Noä (Normal)

Team Rondo
Rondo Admin Sandy
Rondo Admin Sparky
Rondo Admin Shade
Rondo Leader Max

New NPC Types:
Nurse - Stall Teams

GoldvsRed
May 26th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Personally, the protagonists look like a Tristan and an Ashley. I've heard the Fire-Type Starter being called "Pignite," and I hope that one sticks.

bunnyricebowl
May 26th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I think they should just be called Green, Blue and Red :P So much easier to remember but I guess you run out of colors eventually. I don't know

Snakrass. (snake + grass), Boarandle (boar + candle) and Seaball. Er. Best I can think of.

Bloothump
May 26th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Alex too common of a name, Amber okay but dont' really like it.

Male: Matt, again too common IMO for it to be used, Leon...reminds me of that gay guy from Roseanne.

A lot of people are calling the female White or Bianca. I like these names b/c they seem to fit imo. Though I wouldn't mind Amber as the female's name, but what if they want to name a future pokemon game Amber version? o_O?

I agree that they're a bit too common, but with the name "ethan" I figured that was the direction they were heading.

Esper
May 26th, 2010, 02:09 PM

I like Ivyper, and Shellot would be good if it wasn't a single letter different from Shellos.

Complete shot in the dark, but I’m going to guess the protagonists' names will be, in Japanese, Ayumi and Susumu to keep with the themed naming thing they've got going. Their English names could follow in the same vein with Stephanie, Stephen, Walker, Skip, Laine or Laney.

MrsNorrington
June 14th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I really am curious to see what the English names turn out to be. But I'm sooo used to the Japanese names, so I might end up always referring to them -even nicknaming them-by their Japanese names.

Pichu_War
June 14th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I think on pokebeach.com, they confirmed that Zoroark's english name is the same, because zoroark.com was registired and now redirects to pokemon.com (us website)

minchan
June 14th, 2010, 06:41 PM
It makes sense that Zoroark is the same because it isn't Japanese root words.

Did you guys see the new Pokemon revealed? (See it here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDmVOQtJjXs) if you haven't!)

Here are a couple name guesses...
Chiraamii: Cheerami
Mamepato: I have no idea, but it will probably be based on a real bird species name like the past ones.
Munna: Flora (It's got a friggin flower pattern.)
Gear: umm Gear, I guess. XD
Hihidaruma: I HAVE NO IDEA. IT'S A CREEPY THING. XD
Meguroko: (looks like a lizard... 0.o;) Maybe something like Megarock? XD
Shimama: (OMG A BLACK AND WHITE POKEMON!!! XD) Greyscale. Just for lulz.

and the new professor:
Prof. Araragi: Prof. Maple, maybe?

Llennoccm8
June 19th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Go to http://www.zoroark.com and it will redirect you to Pokemon.com

Just like http://www.manaphy.com did.

This pretty much Confirms that Zoroark will keep his name in the Engllish Dub.

enderalex
June 19th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Yaaaay :) lol tbh i figured he would keep his name though :p

Cherrim
June 19th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Go to http://www.zoroark.com and it will redirect you to Pokemon.com

Just like http://www.manaphy.com did.

This pretty much Confirms that Zoroark will keep his name in the Engllish Dub.
Merged this into the English name speculation thread. It's too early to tell so it's still speculation until an official announcement.

Esmas
June 19th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Zorua and Zoroark will probably have similar names in English, like Riolu and Lucario did. Riolu's Japanese name was Rioru, while Lucario's was Rukario, so I'm gonna guess something along the lines of Zolua and Zoloarc :)

As for the names of anything else... No idea! :3

AceDragonite
June 22nd, 2010, 06:53 AM
Well, I know some names like Zorua and Zoroark carry over, but what do you think the names for the new Pokemon and their evos will be here are my theories

Tjuutaja= Gardine
Stage1= Iviper
Stage 2= Verdragon

Pokabu=Charpig
Stage 1-Boaroast or maybe Pigma (star fox lol, but i meant Pig+ magma)
Stage 2: Blazorback

IDK about the mijumaru line

Shimama-Zebolt
StagE 1 -Stripulse

Hihidaruma-Blazape
Stage 1-Blazilla

Munna-Espina
Stage 1- (ef drowzee) Espiseer
Stage 2-Sensigma

Meguroko-IDK

Chiramii-Chilleap
Evo-Chillunge

Mamepato, IDK

Gear-Duocog (will probably be a sucky support PKMN that doesn;t evolve)

so what are your theories

Thorns
June 22nd, 2010, 06:58 AM
No, Giaru or Gear's name will be Twigear. Sounds better than Duocog :P.

enderalex
June 22nd, 2010, 07:01 AM
i think there is already a thread about this.. hmmm

id laugh if they just kept calling him gear :p

BeachBoy
June 22nd, 2010, 07:13 AM
i think there is already a thread about this.. hmmm

id laugh if they just kept calling him gear :pHmmm indeed, enderlex.

Merged AceDragonite's thread over here, be sure to search next time.

Vrai
June 22nd, 2010, 07:19 AM
To be perfectly honest, I'd like to see it still be called Gear. :>

Trap-Eds
June 22nd, 2010, 10:23 AM
Bianca could work, but how could you not see the 'shane' in the guy :D. Nick is okay but I feel as if that name is too common for a pokemon game protagonist.

So Shane for guy (or whatever) and Bianca or white for the girl. Hmm, wonder why I never though of Bianca.

Hmmm...he does look like a Shane. The girl could be...Shawna? :p Ehh, I dunno, I'm terrible with names. I don't even nickname my Pokemon.

Leavenom, Wotter, and Baykin.

Professor Willow

Leader Ryan (Dragon)
Leader Smith (Steel)
Leader Goro (Fire)
Leader Shelley (Water)
Leader Rose (Grass)
Leader Penny (Flying)
Leader Amy (Ice)
Leader Kope (Rock)

Elite Four Tim (Poison)
Elite Four Jewel (Ghost)
Champion Noa (Normal)

Team Rondo
Rondo Admin Sandy
Rondo Admin Sparky
Rondo Admin Shade
Rondo Leader Max

New NPC Types:
Nurse - Stall Teams

Oooh, I like these ideas. Especially the city-related ones.

mondays suck
June 22nd, 2010, 10:28 AM
Just call them Smugleaf, Firepig and Wotter. Why? Because I already got used to these names that much, changing them would only confuse me.

Kiryu
June 22nd, 2010, 11:03 AM
Shimama-Zebolt

holy karp i was thinking the same thing o.o

maybe Smugleaf, Pignition, and....idk about mijumaru =/

SargeantMajorKururu
June 22nd, 2010, 11:54 AM
PLEASE not Wotter. It's way too bland and boring. His name in Japanese is a mix of "Immature" and "round" I don't know if you guys knew that, but there ya go. So maybe his name could be like "Imotter"

JakeClowd
June 22nd, 2010, 01:55 PM
for pokabu - Flintlet
Flint + Pglett
for tsutajaa - Ruslither
Rustle + Slither
for Mijumaru - Splatter YEAH!!!!!!
Splash + Otter

P.s. Anyone else notice the Gear pronounced in japanese is Gay-ar!

MistahDude
June 22nd, 2010, 02:18 PM
Hihidaruma's name should stay the same for the English games.

Hihi = Baboon, Hi = Fire, Daruma = Japanese Encouragement Dolls, Hidarma = body covered in flames.

AceDragonite
June 22nd, 2010, 03:00 PM
Dragon in the first gym your killing me!

Anyway, Gym's might look like this, and this time I'll give the leaders names with etymologies

1-Bug-Anita (sounds like ant lol)
2-Steel-Orin (Ore)
3-Electric-Shockey, or Lexi (electric/shock) or maybe both, I'd like another double battle gym.
4-Dark-Grimsley (Grim)
5-Flying-Harriet (Harrier Hawk)
6-Water-Mako (mako boats, mako sharks)
7-Rock-Rocco (Duh)
8-Psychic-Zenia, or Espia (ESP, zen)

E4
1-Christina-ICE (Ice Crystals)
2-Soledad-FIRE (Solar)
3-Fernando-GRASS (Fern)
4-Hunter-GHOST (sounds BA, but i got it from haunter)
And I can't really guess the champion , lol.

Oh and btw i was sort of kidding about Wotter, lol I got it from South Park.

Reshiram Man
June 22nd, 2010, 05:34 PM
i will guess the manga characters will be named Black and White

GoldvsRed
June 22nd, 2010, 06:48 PM
I'd like to make puns using "hog", "boar", and "razorback", but those are usually used to describe larger wild pigs...more suitable for pokabu's evolved forms. :P

"Blazerback" would be an epic name for one of its Evolved forms.

raekuul
June 23rd, 2010, 06:28 AM
And if you would have read further, you'd see that I'd changed some of them.

And if I would have read further, I'd have seen that there was a fourth page.

The reason I went with Dragon in the first gym is that I'm tired of the first gym always being biased with respect to grass and fire. If the first gym is dragon, then it won't matter what type you pick, you'll need (A) another pokemon and (B) brains to get through it.

Also, I think the easily-obtained dragon is going to be like a dragon version of Munchlax or Swinub or something else that's annoying to fight.

More name ideas, copied from my Eevolutions thread post (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=5874565#post5874565): Wyrmeon, Coppereon, Scorpeon.

AceDragonite
June 23rd, 2010, 09:37 AM
Eevee will get rock and steel evos

Called Kroneon and Ironeon.
Lets leave it at that.

Bloothump
June 23rd, 2010, 03:35 PM
Hihidaruma's name should stay the same for the English games.

Hihi = Baboon, Hi = Fire, Daruma = Japanese Encouragement Dolls, Hidarma = body covered in flames.

I agree, only it should be switched to hidharma, because I think there is a 9 letter limit, and "dharma" is english for daruma (I think).

minchan
June 23rd, 2010, 03:58 PM
I agree, only it should be switched to hidharma, because I think there is a 9 letter limit, and "dharma" is english for daruma (I think).

I believe it's a ten letter limit. Example: "Feraligatr" Ten letters.

Kardashian
June 23rd, 2010, 05:52 PM
Pokabu ----> No clue.
Tsutaaja ----> Smugleaf
The Water One ----> Wotter (Water + Otter)

General K
June 23rd, 2010, 05:58 PM
Yeah I agree about Wotter. That sounds the best.

Lunyka
June 24th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Tsutaaja -> Smugleaf
Pokabu -> Bacon
Mijumaru -> Wotter

I don't care if that is their names or not, It's what I'm gonna call them regardless.