PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] Pokemon should evolve during battles

raging lion
May 17th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Hi everyone I m back after a long time.
By the way I heard these new games are coming so I thought of something. Don't you think that in these games pokemon should evolve during battles.
What I mean is in previous games even when a pokemon reached the desired level it evolved after the battle but I SAY WHY NOT DURING THE BATTLE. In the anime they evolve during battles.

This was my opinion so u give yours now

nielsnijhof
May 17th, 2010, 01:06 AM
I like that idea my friend ;-), it also brings the games closer to the anime :D

Azary3172
May 17th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Me too! I will waiting this at anytime soon! :D

empty streets
May 17th, 2010, 01:36 AM
That would be cool. You think you'll lose and then omg, your pokemon is evolving and a sec later you find that it koed your rival's pokemon.

JAK3
May 17th, 2010, 01:38 AM
It would be cool because how the Pokemon move in battle would also work if they evolved in fights.

raging lion
May 17th, 2010, 01:47 AM
That would be cool. You think you'll lose and then omg, your pokemon is evolving and a sec later you find that it koed your rival's pokemon.
U stole the words from my keyboard. I was gonna say the same thing

vibratingcat
May 17th, 2010, 02:02 AM
haha though the stats dont change much when u evolve, mayb a new awesome attack could finish ur oponent. but yeh i guess its cool. but i kinda like to see my pokemon evolve front on...

A Pixy
May 17th, 2010, 03:03 AM
That would be interesting.

But it is another thing taken from the anime, which happens a lot. >_>

HaloSonic
May 17th, 2010, 03:22 AM
im not to keen on this idea, might make things a bit more complex than they need to be.

saifors
May 17th, 2010, 03:49 AM
I love that idea it will spare me some loses.

Red1530
May 17th, 2010, 05:36 AM
That would make for an interesting twist in a battle.

Timbjerr
May 17th, 2010, 05:42 AM
I like that idea my friend ;-), it also brings the games closer to the anime :D

You say that as if it's a good thing. >_>

I say that we need to keep the two canons as far away from eachother as possible.

Charmageddon
May 17th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Yeah, I think that would make a lot of battles pretty damn epic.

Porygon-Z
May 17th, 2010, 07:49 AM
haha though the stats dont change much when u evolve

What?

Two words:

Magikarp. Gyarados.

JP
May 17th, 2010, 08:08 AM
I think this would be a great thing. It would add more dynamism to the battles and make for a more interesting time.

It's true that this may bring the anime and the games closer together...but honestly, how much sense does it make for a Pokemon to evolve AFTER a battle and not during one? It makes more sense to me that an evolution would happen whenever it's time and not specifically after a battle.

It's not like they'd have to do a major change to this process either. I can see evolutions just pausing a battle screen, going to the casual evolution screen we normally see after battles, and then back to the battle screen. Nothing too complicated.

kostika
May 17th, 2010, 08:12 AM
very good idea!!!!!!!! i like it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver Soul
May 17th, 2010, 08:24 AM
would be cool but unfair
why?
1. Because when you are losing, you evolve and gain more stats, maybe new attacks and get an advantage. Rivals pokemon wont evolve so its unfair by that spot
But would be also VERY COOL and
HACKERS AND AR would make it good like
Cyndaquil evolved into......MEW! THat would be cool!

Sammuthegreat
May 17th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Rivals pokemon wont evolve so its unfair by that spot

True. But I think it'd be a good idea to make computer players gain xp from beating your Pokemon - that way their Pokemon might level up as well, and make matches/rematches a bit trickier.

On-topic - Pokemon should definitely evolve in-battle. It's a no-brainer.

raging lion
May 17th, 2010, 10:00 AM
So many of us have the same thinking. I say Nintendo should think about this Idea

Azure
May 17th, 2010, 10:20 AM
It's annoying the way if you Level up your pokemon to the Evolving level and they faint, you need to level up to the next level in order to evolve, it's very irritating and I do like this idea.

Sotto Voce
May 17th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Yes, that's be pretty sweet. :)

Anuhrima
May 17th, 2010, 10:57 AM
No way, it would be to cheap. That gives you an unfair advantage. That like when your at level 20 going to the first patch of grass and there is a level 5 Pokemon. Unfair man. On top of that it would make things more complex.

The Doctor
May 17th, 2010, 11:01 AM
An unfair advantage?

What about it you go back and do a rematch with a person.

You are level 100 and they are like... level 30.

IS THAT A FAIR ADVANTAGE?

.EJ
May 17th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I've always thought about this idea and I like it. But how would it be unfair for a pokemon to evolve during battle? It's just the NPC's you're fighting...

I also agree with timbjerr, the anime and the games should be kept away from each other. Ash is by no means Red, etc.

pikaboy1994
May 17th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I just wish Nintendo and game freak would listen to some of the suggestions on this website.

Shaymin Trainer
May 17th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I agree it would make the games more closer to the anime
AND THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!! :)

Samme!
May 17th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I understand how it would give you an advantage and make things easier in a tough battle, but I feel that if Pokemon were given the ability to evolve during battle, it would just make things easier for you and would take some of the fun away. I personally like it the way it is because of how it gives you a challenge, and requires you to use the skill you have to try and win the battle so your Pokemon can evolve. Just the way I see it, I guess.

Rich Boy Rob
May 17th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I'd love them to implement this. I absolutely despise when I level something up to the level-of-evolution in battle and think "Yes! Finally!", only to have my dreams smashed when I lose, it doesn't evolve and I have to level it up again!

ARRGH!
/RAGE

Yusshin
May 17th, 2010, 11:54 AM
+1

I found it dumb that this doesn't happen. Really.

BeachBoy
May 17th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I don't see it happening, but it would be pretty cool to see.

.EJ
May 17th, 2010, 12:13 PM
The idea is nice and I've also wondered why they haven't implemented it yet.

I agree it would make the games more closer to the anime
AND THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!! :)

Let me tell you something, when Pokemon games start emulating the anime then a large percentage of people will stop playing.

I'm sorry but if I use Ice beam on a buizel using aqua jet I don't expect it to be an attack. I also don't expect the other pokemon to start spinning around to shed off damage or to avoid attacks. Or use two moves in combination...I also don't expect for thunderbolt to cause a golem to faint.

Arago
May 17th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I've always always wanted this to happen. Pokémon evolve during battles in the anime more than they do while they aren't battling (hell, I'd even go as far to say (aside from using stones) that I've never seen a Pokémon evolve after a battle like they do in the game). It seems more appropriate to have a Pokémon evolve in the middle of a battle, actually! I don't see them implementing it, unfortunately. If it was implemented, it would have been implemented by now. I mean, we're entering the fifth generation, after all.

Then again, there's always the possibility that they don't know how to implement it yet.

GlitchCity
May 17th, 2010, 12:22 PM
I never really thought of that. It would be cool if that were to happen. It'd be like BOOM BABY! xDD It be nice leveling up and having my dratini's evolve during battle.

Im all for it if they include it in the games

XDarkxGirlx4everX
May 17th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I completely agree with you. I think that they should evolve during the battles it brings the games and anime closer together :3

Sammuthegreat
May 17th, 2010, 12:47 PM
However, I could see a flaw with this, because what if the pokemon gains major exp. and wants to evolve after every single time the opponent's Pokemon are defeated? What if you battle Fisherman Jimmy who has idk... 6 Magikarp? You defeat the first one, and your pokemon wants to evolve. You don't want it to evolve into Espeon, (because you prefer Umbreon) so you cancel the evolution. You defeat the next Magikarp, and it asks want to evolve?, you say no, and so on and so forth until the battle with Magikarp is complete. That could get annoying if you're battling a trainer with a full team.

That wouldn't happen - it wouldn't start to evolve again until it reached the next level...

PiPVoda
May 17th, 2010, 01:06 PM
I think this would be a great thing. It would add more dynamism to the battles and make for a more interesting time.

It's true that this may bring the anime and the games closer together...but honestly, how much sense does it make for a Pokemon to evolve AFTER a battle and not during one? It makes more sense to me that an evolution would happen whenever it's time and not specifically after a battle.

It's not like they'd have to do a major change to this process either. I can see evolutions just pausing a battle screen, going to the casual evolution screen we normally see after battles, and then back to the battle screen. Nothing too complicated.

that would be sweet, but I picture it was happening while in battle, the foe just stops attacking. I'm sure it will happen since now they've incorporated motion into the black and white (as we could tell from the scenes released on pkmn sunday). It would suck though if you're in a battle guranteed to win then all of a sudden the challenger's pokemon evolves.

This guy speaks truth. I prefer my pokemon to evolve during the battle as well. I've been wanting this to happen since RSE came out.

However, I could see a flaw with this, because what if the pokemon gains major exp. and wants to evolve after every single time the opponent's Pokemon are defeated? What if you battle Fisherman Jimmy who has idk... 6 Magikarp? You defeat the first one, and your pokemon wants to evolve. You don't want it to evolve into Espeon, (because you prefer Umbreon) so you cancel the evolution. You defeat the next Magikarp, and it asks want to evolve?, you say no, and so on and so forth until the battle with Magikarp is complete. That could get annoying if you're battling a trainer with a full team.

but if you wanted an umbreon why would you be training during the day? lol XD. Yeah you're right it could be a problem though it may not happen. I guess the pokemon would start to evolve but then you could stop it and once that happens it won't try again till it reaches the next level.

Astinus
May 17th, 2010, 01:38 PM
I've only recently wanted this to happen. It would make battles a bit easier for the player if their Pokemon evolved in the middle of battle, to get that small boost in stats and maybe a more powerful move.

But it's not likely to happen. It's just easier to have the evolution screen come after the battle is won so that there's no interruptions. It just seems awkward to do it then. And besides, if they could, they would have done so before.

You don't want it to evolve into Espeon, (because you prefer Umbreon) so you cancel the evolution. You defeat the next Magikarp, and it asks want to evolve?, you say no, and so on and so forth until the battle with Magikarp is complete. That could get annoying if you're battling a trainer with a full team.
Stick an Everstone on it while training it during the day? If you know when you want a Pokemon to evolve, either stick an Everstone on it (if you have one) or just deal with mashing the B button for a while.

That's if they implement this.

Zorua
May 17th, 2010, 04:15 PM
You say that as if it's a good thing. >_>

I say that we need to keep the two canons as far away from eachother as possible.

This.

Please keep the games with the games and the anime with the anime. We don't need them correlating with each other; possibly causing some unnecessary dissatisfaction with most gamers who aren't the biggest fans of the anime.

MistahDude
May 17th, 2010, 05:18 PM
I disagree. Maybe I do not want my pokemon to evolve just yet? IT would also be pretty awkward to have that evolve screen in the middle of a battle.

Kenaku
May 17th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Man, the way everyone is talking about evolution in battle it is like you guys think there will be some uber beam coming from the pokemon during the evolution auto-ko'ing the opponent. I mean, woo, your pokemon evolved.

rossbot
May 17th, 2010, 06:06 PM
No, it should be left the way it is for multiple reasons.
1) It is tradition. Leave it the way it is, as that is the way it has always been.
2) It takes the strategic aspect of battling away, as well as the prize of evolution after you finish a fight. If you suck too much to win the fight and you have to try and level up again, that is your own problem.
3) I abhor the anime and believe that if it were not for the gay TV show that it is, the entire franchise would have been targeted at a broader and older audience and would have had better staying power and would not be considered taboo for all those middle schoolers out there who care too much about being cool.

Leave it the way it is, and ignore the anime. If anything, the anime should try to follow the games more, not the other way around.

MistahDude
May 17th, 2010, 07:18 PM
1) It is tradition. Leave it the way it is, as that is the way it has always been.
2) It takes the strategic aspect of battling away, as well as the prize of evolution after you finish a fight. If you suck too much to win the fight and you have to try and level up again, that is your own problem.
3) I abhor the anime and believe that if it were not for the gay TV show that it is, the entire franchise would have been targeted at a broader and older audience and would have had better staying power and would not be considered taboo for all those middle schoolers out there who care too much about being cool.

Leave it the way it is, and ignore the anime. If anything, the anime should try to follow the games more, not the other way around.

Staying with tradition slows down the gaming industry, and it doesn't bring in the big bucks. There are many traditions Game Freak is breaking you know.

Vrai
May 17th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I don't see it happening, but it would be pretty cool to see.

Hey PC. Me again. Just quoting another one of Beachy's posts and telling y'all about how he raided my brain for posting material to get +1 postcount.

Anyway, agreement. I can see it now: "Chimchar used Ember! Wild Caterpie fainted! Chimchar leveled up to 14!"

"...huh?"

Xebelleon
May 18th, 2010, 02:30 PM
If so, there should be an energy burst that causes FLINCH or some thing where other no attacks are made. After the battle, then comes the nickname. And there should be a removal of the evolve animation. Takes up too much time. There should be a Yes or No "pop up" during battle for the option to allow evolution, similar to saving or learning a new move where it will ask "you" twice. Maybe switch the Yes to a No so one would be required to pay attention to what is going on and actually utilize the "basic reading skill required to fully enjoy this game feature".

Waki Tobaye
May 18th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I'm sorry but if I use Ice beam on a buizel using aqua jet I don't expect it to be an attack. I also don't expect the other pokemon to start spinning around to shed off damage or to avoid attacks. Or use two moves in combination...I also don't expect for thunderbolt to cause a golem to faint. Aim for the horn! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mXruipuboA)

Please keep the games with the games and the anime with the anime. We don't need them correlating with each other; possibly causing some unnecessary dissatisfaction with most gamers who aren't the biggest fans of the anime. I agree, if they were to implement this; then they probably were to bring the combination attacks to the games too; along with other stupid things that take place in the anime

http://www.mywii.com.au/img/gallery/normal/8PYYM9WR.jpg

pokemongarnet
May 18th, 2010, 04:50 PM
That would be great, then you could be like "wazzam now im gonna own u in style with an awesome fully evolved pokemon.

jon328
May 18th, 2010, 04:58 PM
i love this idea :D i wish they would add it to bw if not then the NEXT generation should have it :D

RyanGT
May 18th, 2010, 05:02 PM
I definitely like this idea. Unfortunately, it's too late. Adding this now would ruin the tradition of all the past games.

war rock exe
May 18th, 2010, 05:57 PM
That's a GREAT idea!! That would also give you an edge in battles!

JP
May 18th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I know. I was describing it as if your pokemon gained a level each time it won against the opponent's pokemon. If the pokemon is much weaker than the opponent that got defeated, it sometimes gains a lot of experience in order for it to evolve and gain a few levels.

They could make it so that the chance to evolve only happens once during a battle, and simply having to wait until the next battle/challenge to have it evolve.

Cherrim
May 19th, 2010, 06:08 AM
I never really understood why I had to wait till the battle was over to evolve a Pokémon anyway. I mean, it got its level up moves (if applicable), so why not evolve at the same time? I'd be fine if they added this in.

But I don't think I'd really care too much either. @_@ I'm used to the way they do it so it wouldn't be a huge deal if they left it that way.

DarcyBangBang
May 19th, 2010, 11:18 AM
That would be so cool!!!!

TotoPacMan
May 19th, 2010, 11:23 AM
It would be cool, I've had many too many a times when one of my guys couldn't evolve because I lost (normally to a gym leader). But i could see it as an unfair advantage, say you're dragonair evolves midbattle. now they have no chance. but then again, who cares about npcs T_T

Waffle-San
May 20th, 2010, 11:31 AM
True. But I think it'd be a good idea to make computer players gain xp from beating your Pokemon - that way their Pokemon might level up as well, and make matches/rematches a bit trickier.

On-topic - Pokemon should definitely evolve in-battle. It's a no-brainer.

Stole the words straight from my head!!

No way, it would be to cheap. That gives you an unfair advantage. That like when your at level 20 going to the first patch of grass and there is a level 5 Pokemon. Unfair man. On top of that it would make things more complex.

How would it get more complex? And all it means is one Caterpie sooner has to deal with your next evolution.

1) It is tradition. Leave it the way it is, as that is the way it has always been. That's a terrible reason, traditions are only good when coupled with an open mind.
2) It takes the strategic aspect of battling away, as well as the prize of evolution after you finish a fight. If you suck too much to win the fight and you have to try and level up again, that is your own problem. Because once you've earned the correct amount of exp to evolve and completed all the requirements one is supposed to wait for their Pokemon to evolve as proving that they can win the battle has so much to with a Pokemon's ability to evolve. >.<

Aim for the horn! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mXruipuboA)

I agree, if they were to implement this; then they probably were to bring the combination attacks to the games too; along with other stupid things that take place in the anime

http://www.mywii.com.au/img/gallery/normal/8PYYM9WR.jpg

I don't understand this at all. "No because it'll make it like the anime." Huh? Maybe just maybe the anime got it right for once. I mean this simple little addition could be made without all of a sudden making the two canons identical. And why would GF add combination attacks from the anime as well as other, "stupid things," just because they implemented one feature that makes sense? How does letting Pokemon evolve during battle relate to adding combination attacks?

The anime is grossly inferiour to the games, but letting Pokemon evolve during battle isn't going to bring the two any closer together.

Also about the awkwardness of having the evolution sequence mid battle, I personally don't feel it'd be that bad, but they could just do away with it and have the animation sequence take place on the battle screen in front of your opponents Pokemon. Letting you still retain the power of pressing B and cancelling the evolution of course.

Dragonika
May 20th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Yes that would be awsome but we dont want it to be to much like the anime series it would spoil the game but yes evolving in battle would be pretty epic :D

Haza
May 20th, 2010, 12:16 PM
For some reason I like it the way it is now... and in some episodes, like with the Parasect VS Charmeleon episode, Parasect didn't evolve until the battle was over. I just think it would be a little complicated anyway.

Arma
May 20th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Some pokemon evolve by using elemental stones on them, or by being traded, Both these thing can't be done during a battle. I'm thinking here they want all the evolutions to take place out of the battles.

Though I really wouldn't wind it they added the function.

Hypno
May 20th, 2010, 03:57 PM
If they were to implement this, they should also put like a few trainers that are capable of experience the same with one of their Pokemon to make it seem as you are not the only one to make it rain.

rossbot
May 20th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Staying with tradition slows down the gaming industry, and it doesn't bring in the big bucks. There are many traditions Game Freak is breaking you know.

Sometimes. Granted, improving graphics and adding certain elements to a game are understandable. But certain things should be left alone. I cite Zelda II: the Adventure of Link.

I am firmly convinced that the only way the game has survived in the states thus far is because they have adhered to tradition, for the most part. I almost stopped playing the series entirely because of all the nonsense they were putting out (Ranger, Gale of whatever).

and open minds are easily taken advantage of.

15ares
May 20th, 2010, 07:43 PM
it will bring in some realism (as far as pokemon could be realistic) to the game, and it could possibly turn battles around. i hope they bring in a feature like this

Timbjerr
May 20th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I'm actually somewhat surprised at the overwhelming approval of this idea. I've never had a problem with my pokemon skipping their evolution level because of losing a battle (mainly because I save before any battles I know will give me difficulties. XD), so I never put any thought into it and consequently never knew there would be such a high demand to fix it. XD

One issue that kinda ties into this one though. I believe that the opponent trainer's pokemon should gain exp. if your pokemon faints. By extension, if their pokemon reaches their evolution level, they should evolve midbattle as well, right?

Should it be limited to levelup evolutions or should using evolutionary stones midbattle do their job as well? (at the cost of your turn of course)

诶伊艾诶豆诶维伊
May 20th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I think it would be great!
It would give a whole new edge. >:D

Swift!
May 20th, 2010, 08:35 PM
I agree that it's a good idea, but I don't see Nintendo putting it in. I mean, I wouldn't care if they didn't put it in and I'm sure a lot of other people wouldn't either, but it would be cool to see. They'll probably just stick with the Pokemon evolving after the battle though.

Tyrantrum
May 20th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I would love for a Pokémon to evolve during a battle. I've wanted that to happen for the longest time. Nintendo should totally check these ideas out.

loliwin
May 20th, 2010, 11:44 PM
It'd lessen the difficulty of a battle. For example:

You're up to your last pokemon. The opponent has 6 pokemon left. You finish a pokemon with Monferno. It has medium HP. Then it levels up and evolves into Infernape then it randomly sweeps the opponents team..... >_>

adventure
June 7th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I'd love it. So many times has a pokémon reached the level needed for evolution in the middle of a long battle, and then I've had to keep it alive to the end of the battle so it could evolve. Bah! Let them evolve mid-battle, I say. Much cooler.

Pandemonioum
June 7th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Why so many people are saying evolution in the battle would be unfair if the enemy is winning, that is what evolution means. U need to evolve to stay ahead of your opponents and stay as the top dog.

Just like in real world, if species won't adapt to situations and changes to evolve itself that species would become extinct in no time at all. Just like if there is only small animals like rabbits in the area and *foxes kill them to live. Then a *wolf appears and as a better hunter and bigger size it would easily become top hunter of its territory. It would leave fox 3 opinions:

1: To evolve, either physically or mentally to become smart enought to avoid Wolfes or grow bigger in size after thousands of years to match the Wolf.

2: To give up and try to find different animals to hunt that Wolf can't or they have no interest to hunt.

3: To extinct in reing of a stronger predator.

Natural selection is harsh thing, and only strong survive. If you won't evolve you will die, darn simple :P

When evolution happens it should just happen, it would just be very cool if they made this work in the pokemon game.

*Wolf and Fox are just simple examples, this does not mean they overlap in the real world, but I hope you get the idea.

Darkness98
June 7th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Good idea is a good idea.I like it.But unless there is someone nintendo maker here(New so I dont know all members on here) it will never happen.

Kiryu
June 7th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I love that idea it will spare me some loses.

except for the losing part...EXACTLY! (more like spare me some revives and potions)

TheReal
June 7th, 2010, 05:58 PM
It's a good idea but I don't think that will happen.

Pearlone
June 7th, 2010, 06:14 PM
haha though the stats dont change much when u evolve, mayb a new awesome attack could finish ur oponent. but yeh i guess its cool. but i kinda like to see my pokemon evolve front on...
they do on the hard to evolve pokemon ex. Pupitar to Tyranitar, Gabite to Garchomp and whatnot.

metalflygon08
June 7th, 2010, 06:24 PM
It would be nice, you know another thing that should be implemented? Enemy tainer's pokemon leveling up in battle. (In Ruby I had traded over a lv 100 Tyranitar, gainst braly, it never listened, and was KO'd you'dthink that lil' Makuhita would've gained a level from that)

MrsNorrington
June 7th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Omg I had the very same idea!! I love how epic it is in the anime when Pokemon evolve in the battle!! They really should do that in the next games, it would be awesome!

shengar
June 7th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Not a bad idea, since many pokemon both in the anime and manga sometimes undergo evolution in the middle of battle

Thunderhead
June 7th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I don't want to see this to be honest. Its not because of the unfair advantage thing you have going on, but just for the sake of annoynance with some pokemon.

Lets say you have a Pokemon that evolves with a stone, move, friendship, or trade, and you didn't want it.
Granted theres B button, but I see this as an annoyance.

Plus, what gain would this be to anything? I mean, sure you may gain a stat boost or so when you evolve. What if your going up agianst something that has something like quick attack or such.

Also, this would still take place in between a pokemon kill. Think about it, you gain the exp AFTER you faint the darn thing!

Cyberglass
June 8th, 2010, 05:27 AM
I don't want to see this to be honest. Its not because of the unfair advantage thing you have going on, but just for the sake of annoynance with some pokemon.

Lets say you have a Pokemon that evolves with a stone, move, friendship, or trade, and you didn't want it.
Granted theres B button, but I see this as an annoyance.

Plus, what gain would this be to anything? I mean, sure you may gain a stat boost or so when you evolve. What if your going up agianst something that has something like quick attack or such.

Also, this would still take place in between a pokemon kill. Think about it, you gain the exp AFTER you faint the darn thing!

To your latter point: exactly. You gain experience after each faint. You can raise a level after each faint. You gain stats and learn new moves. But they don't let you evolve until the very end of the battle. Why?

Also, I don't understand your annoyance with the evolution thing. If the Pokemon levelled up to the correct level, you would have to press the B button to stop it at the end of the battle anyway, even if it doesn't evolve mid-battle. Regardless of when it evolves, you will have to press the B-button the exact same number of times unless you go up multiple levels in one battle. (And how would a Pokemon evolve via trade during a battle?)

I've always wondered why they never implemented mid-battle evolution, especially since you do level up and learn new moves mid-battle. My best guess would be that in R/B/Y they coded the evolution to happen at the end of a battle but forgot to add in a special case for multi-pokemon trainer battles, and have stuck with it since.

RedWar
June 8th, 2010, 06:00 AM
To your latter point: exactly. You gain experience after each faint. You can raise a level after each faint. You gain stats and learn new moves. But they don't let you evolve until the very end of the battle. Why?

What sort of answer are you looking for? A fluffy one is that the evolution will require concentration/energy - during a battle the pokemon is incapable of providing either to evolving whilst trying not to get stabbed to death by move of unspeakable pointy horror

A game one? Because of the reasons outlined above about evolution. Because it gets in the way of a battle - and how about because an evolution is something of a 'reward' for doing well in the game, so the risk of losing it is something you have to deal with. This is an rpg but with a focus on battling - interrupting a battle for rpg elements doesnt seem to fit in with what is trying to be achieved in the core games. All imo of course

Jerme
June 8th, 2010, 09:26 AM

um..no. just take it to stronger areas then. and if you think about it, the TC's idea wouldn't even that often, it's not like it will happen in every single battle you do

Thunderhead
June 8th, 2010, 03:36 PM
^^^With the whole trade thing. I was talking about if it had double evolutions.

Also, even with the pressing of the B button, its still an annoyance regardless.

Lakelady
June 8th, 2010, 04:05 PM
That will be a nice change.
After so many pokemon with the same kind of battle, at least they should do this new thing.

Cyberglass
June 8th, 2010, 04:58 PM
^^^With the whole trade thing. I was talking about if it had double evolutions.

Also, even with the pressing of the B button, its still an annoyance regardless.

My point still stands. It's just as annoying after the battle as during, so why does it matter when the Pokemon starts evolving, since it would still only try once per level?

vietazn654
June 8th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Yeah that would be cool =p but how about if you want to prevent your Pokemon from evolving? Do you still press B then? xD But I agree that would be awesome.

Eeohnex
June 8th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I think it's a great idea, it would be nice to see your Pokémon evolve during battle, it might come handy when you are battling the Gym Leaders or the Elite Four. I don't see why it shouldn't be integrated in the next generation, can't really think of any downs having this feature. I highly doubt that Nintendo would be adding it though.