PDA

View Full Version : Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask Discussion

LordDarkrai
May 17th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Let's talk about this great game. To me this is my personally favorite Zelda game.

Jolene
May 17th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I think that it is good, but not as good as some people say it is. I notice lots of people saying that the game has a really dark story and really deep characters, but I don't think it does - I think it has a slightly dark story and quirky characters, and then people exaggerate about them.

I read this on another website and I agree with it:

As fans of the series reach their late teens, they feel as though they need a really dark Zelda game to justify their continued enjoyment of this children's series. Majora's Mask is probably the closest thing the series has to "dark", so these fans embellish that game in their minds in order to feel as though they're playing a grown-up game series.

Sneeze
May 18th, 2010, 04:35 AM
My second favourite game, Wind Waker being the first, I loved it. The postman was epic. :D

SacredMiKeY
May 18th, 2010, 05:11 AM
too short imo and with only four dungeons it wasnt as fun as oot or windwaker
then again people think im weird for enjoying the legend of link for the nes

also this game was pretty hard to make a 3 heart run on fking twinmold killed me like 4 times and it was like 4am on the last night 0_o i ahd to beat that thing then go back and get the coulples mask in time before the moon fell and then do the oath to order got there finally at 5:30 XD

TRIFORCE89
May 18th, 2010, 06:45 AM
I think that it is good, but not as good as some people say it is. I notice lots of people saying that the game has a really dark story and really deep characters, but I don't think it does - I think it has a slightly dark story and quirky characters, and then people exaggerate about them.

I read this on another website and I agree with it:
Well, its certainly not macabre. But, it is the darkest in the Zelda series - and given that this is Nintendo and Miyamoto (who puts happy faces on clouds and trees in Mario games), anything may be considered "dark" XD

Really, I see it as more mature. Its a refinement. Like Empire Strikes Back VS. the original Star Wars.

Its not a really great story or really fantastic characters, but it is among the best (if not the best) in the series. We certainly haven't had a Zelda game like it since.

PkMnTrainer Yellow
May 18th, 2010, 07:18 AM
It was unique and new. I wouldn't say dark. I never thought of Majora's Mask as being dark.

Alli
May 18th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Looking at the plot, I think it falls short of Ocarina of Time. Not saying that makes it any less of a good game, though. You've still got the amazing music (Clock Town, anyone?) and the interesting items (or rather, just masks, forget the actual items). It's also considered to be the hardest of the series because of the three in-game day time limit. And having to travel back in time can be a pain, but that's what makes this game unique. I'm aware you time travel in OoT, but this one is different as, if I recall, it's required to save the game. To get to the point, it is a black sheep in the staple. I think the only other game in the series that comes close to being as dark as Majora's Mask is Twilight Princess. But do I really have to explain that one? I think it needs nothing said.

Shadow
May 18th, 2010, 07:27 AM
My complaint is that it was far too deep to include the darned 3-day limit.

I never can get past the first temple as I'm constantly exploring and talking to everyone at all hours of the day whenever I play it. ...I usually can't even get out of Clock Town. I don't want to miss anything.

The three day limit was just so horrid. Ugggh. Worst Zelda mechanic ever. Even worse than Temple of the Sea King. Even worse than 2D platforming and horrible translation (okay, nothing's worse than Zelda II, but yeah...).

Galukxy
May 18th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I've only just started playing that Zelda game and I thought it was pretty challenging to start of with,
but nothing beats Ocarina of time though :D

TRIFORCE89
May 18th, 2010, 08:24 AM
My complaint is that it was far too deep to include the darned 3-day limit.

I never can get past the first temple as I'm constantly exploring and talking to everyone at all hours of the day whenever I play it. ...I usually can't even get out of Clock Town. I don't want to miss anything.

The three day limit was just so horrid. Ugggh. Worst Zelda mechanic ever. Even worse than Temple of the Sea King. Even worse than 2D platforming and horrible translation (okay, nothing's worse than Zelda II, but yeah...).
So, devote one three-day cycle to exploring Clock Town and then move on. Begin each temple at the start of a new cycle and you won't have any problems.

Or don't. If you play the game normally you're going to have to explore Clock Town anyway to complete your Notebook.

Amaruuk
May 18th, 2010, 09:08 AM
I love Majora's Mask; it's one of my favorite Zelda titles for sure. The music is of course fantastic, and every time I hear/think about the music I want to go play the game X3

However, I think what hooks me the most about the game is that it has an air of mystery to it, the kind that really makes you curious and wonder a lot about what's behind the inner workings of the game's world. I think that is one of the most important things to me in video games of that nature (it's what hooked me into Pokemon in its infancy).

My opinion on the time-resetting mechanic is that, while it does indeed make me feel disappointed/irritated at times (like how everything you just did in a cycle is reset), it's rather interesting as it kind of serves to feed you bits and pieces of the game at a time to keep you coming back.

Eternal Nightmare
May 21st, 2010, 09:53 AM
I love the game but personally not my favorite. The game was entirely to short not to mention all the boss fight were too easy. I did admire the characters and the storyline as well as the mask mechanics. This game is probably my fourth favorite Zelda game
1. Ocarina of Time
2. Windwaker
3. Twilight Princess
4. Majora's Mask

LordDarkrai
June 13th, 2010, 04:53 AM
I also admire the music and the story as well.

Lelouch vi Britannia
June 14th, 2010, 04:19 AM
I loved this game when I was a kid. It has to be my favorite Zelda game. I haven't played any recent Zelda titles so my mind may change soon especially with Nintendo's E3 conference today. I always loved playing as a Zora and swimming underwater. I think the pirate mission was my favorite of the entire game.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!
June 14th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Loved the game but the final boss was embarassingly easy, especially with the Fierce Deity Mask.