PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] Version name change for America?

MistahDude
May 17th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Knowing how up tight Nintendo of America's lawyers are I would assume that they would not let Black and White slide as acceptable names. Unlike Japan, we have a lot of black people here and lawsuits could come up from stupid people who don't understand what racism means.

I personally think they could come up with better names than Black, White and possibly Gray. I would love for the names to be changed, and they might here in America.

What do you think?

StrickeN
May 17th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Why should we change the name because a bunch of people think the name is offensive. The name suits it's title. No indians or asians complained at pokemon yellow, so america can get over it.

MistahDude
May 17th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Why should we change the name because a bunch of people think the name is offensive. The name suits it's title. No indians or asians complained at pokemon yellow, so america can get over it.

I am not talking about the American public, I am talking about some of the most uptight lawyers ever.

Kirbychu
May 17th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I think it's possible, but it probably won't happen. We'll just have to see how people respond. I wonder what the alternate names could be...

Vrai
May 17th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Black and White are absolutely gorgeous names and if they change the names I will not buy the games. Seriously.

Whoever thinks that naming the games "Black" and "White" will be racist or is racist is an ignorant jackass. We refer to old-school television as black and white, so why the hell would naming games in that manner make any sort of difference?

NateG
May 17th, 2010, 07:41 PM
I certainly hope they don't change the names of the games. It's just like when they changed the name Tin tower to Bell tower because of *cough*9/11*cough*. Hooray for censorship...NOT!

EDIT: I almost forgot about the European Union canning the slots in video games. European Union = butthurt.

Wings Don't Cry
May 17th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I am not talking about the American public, I am talking about some of the most uptight lawyers ever.

Do you even know what a lawyer does?

X75flames
May 17th, 2010, 07:59 PM
They made a black and white. Its not like they made white the thrid of this serese. I'm white, and will be getting black beacuse I think it will lokk really awesome on the title screen. Thats what I do with most pokemon games XD

MistahDude
May 17th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Do you even know what a lawyer does?

they protect a company from losing money from lawsuits right?

Wings Don't Cry
May 17th, 2010, 08:08 PM

That's one thing they do. They pretty much deal with anything to do with the law. You need a lawyer for pretty much everything even for things like buying a house. Wikipedia will give you the gist of what a lawyer does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawyer

Timbjerr
May 17th, 2010, 08:12 PM
I think America as a whole is well beyond associating colors with anything racial. I don't see why it'd have to change if the African American public has yet to speak out about it. >_>

Guy
May 17th, 2010, 08:14 PM
That amongst other many various cases, yes. With that said though, they would have no power to say whether or not he game titles are racist to people or not. That final decision would be left upon the government and Nintendo would find a way around it. Such case happened with Game Corner and their slot machines.

Anyway, I doubt the American version of these games would be changed. The titles are perfectly fine, and in no way reflect upon racism. It's just a color like Red, Blue, Yellow, and Green. Only those who actually think of it that way, would complain about it - which sadly there are quite a handful of them. D: I don't think something as simple as a game title would have to be changed though. If it did, that would be kind of disappointing to see.

I mean the slot machines in the Game Corner was one thing, but this is another.

Alexeon
May 17th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the people who aren't in the know with regards to Pokémon probably wouldn't see black/white versions of a game being much different than having the choice between a black or a white version of a T-shirt. Or maybe black and white should just never be available as choices for anything. =/

I dunno, I just can't see why there should be any issue...And I think any attempts to change the names to something more "PC" could end up butchering the games greatly. Not to mention I love the names as they already are...

Harley Quinn
May 17th, 2010, 09:14 PM
It's a shame that people even notion these ideas, to be blunt.

Volroc
May 17th, 2010, 10:12 PM
if they did, which they wont (unless african americans, or those religious nutjob white americans start anything) itll proably be changed into stones of similar colour:
such as zerconium for white & onyx for black
and grey would be left alone, im sure americans can handle grey :P

loliwin
May 17th, 2010, 10:15 PM
I hope they dont change it, the title are awesome! Plus, if dudes think its offensive, it aint, and its their fault for thinking its offensive. XDDDDDDDDDD

DXrobots
May 17th, 2010, 11:57 PM
I don't think its racist I just think the names black and white seem really boring even for pokemon games. It went from colors to metal to minerals and then jewels and now were going back to colors? I'd like to keep moving on maybe to light and darkness?

xDaisuke0
May 18th, 2010, 12:07 AM
No just No...
Asians frikin made Yellow, and that was acceptable eh?
Nothing wrong with Black and White, they aren't referring to Skin Color at all! They are two opposites, that's all. I don't think anyone would feel offended, and if they are then there's really no reason to be.. o.o

Talli
May 18th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Can't just leave thing alone..they ruinned all my child hood favorites songs because of someone might get upset. It is STUPID!

King Goodra
May 18th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Anyone who connects the game titles with race and then demands the names of the games to be changed really need to find something better to do with their time. You'd think after so many years that we as a society have grown from that closed mind thinking where every single color or thing done relating to colors had a double meaning behind them. Alexeon makes a good point, and reading it, I really don't think many people will make a huge commotion over it, though I'm sure idiots today will cause there to be some controversy over the names. Black and white are just two extremely expressive colors, in my opinion. This just goes back to something I think of when I think of white and black; the iPhone. It's personal choice. Not getting one color doesn't mean your racist towards that color, it just means aesthetically you prefer that specific color for that specific piece of merchandise. At least that's how I see it.

Zeph.
May 18th, 2010, 12:34 AM
I don't think many people will associate Black and White with anything racial until someone brings it up.

Besides, what about games like Black and White 1 and 2 for the PC? Their names were fine...

Impo
May 18th, 2010, 01:20 AM
there's nothing racial about pokemon,
don't get offensive.
when people insult italians i admit i do get a little
annoyed, but not enough to try and bash their head in
or go to court.
and i thought black/white could refer to ying/yang ?

NatureKeeper
May 18th, 2010, 02:44 AM
[css-div="padding: 2px 2px 2px 2px; border-color: red blue; border-style:solid; background-color: #000000"]I am thinking that there is no racism in the game. At all. There is nothing related to racism. And, names changed, for example. That happened in Red and Green. There is not a single law about naming after colours, especially that is just summing up to a print of #000000 and #FFFFFF, not people. So, no. Nobody can do anything about it, Nintendo won't break a law. =3[/css-div]

TrilbyMenetti
May 18th, 2010, 02:55 AM
I have no problem with either Black or White as titles and think they should remain for their eventual release, once translated and released everywhere after Japan.

The Cynic
May 18th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Anyone who connects the game titles with race and then demands the names of the games to be changed really need to find something better to do with their time. You'd think after so many years that we as a society have grown from that closed mind thinking where every single color or thing done relating to colors had a double meaning behind them. Alexeon makes a good point, and reading it, I really don't think many people will make a huge commotion over it, though I'm sure idiots today will cause there to be some controversy over the names. Black and white are just two extremely expressive colors, in my opinion. This just goes back to something I think of when I think of white and black; the iPhone. It's personal choice. Not getting one color doesn't mean your racist towards that color, it just means aesthetically you prefer that specific color for that specific piece of merchandise. At least that's how I see it.

Hooray for logic!

The young folks of today have been raised in a way that makes them think black and white are racist. THEY ARE COLOURS!!! Pokemon Blue wasn't racist to smurfs was it? No! Something is racist when it implies that a certain race is superior or inferior to others. Colours like black, white, blue, purple, magenta and heliotrope are not racist.

This thread is pointless.

dead-man-walking
May 18th, 2010, 03:43 AM
Well, even IF they do change the name (Which I hope they wouldn't), hopefully it would still fit. Light & Dark sound completely lame, though.

perfectmonster
May 18th, 2010, 03:56 AM
These stupid and uptight people who think that it is racist should be doing something better with their time. I mean seriously, It's not like Nintendo's gonna name them Black, White and Asian versions. Get a life peoples. :P

Porygon-Z
May 18th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Black and White are not dirty words!!

They are colours! By your logic they'll have to start printing newspapers in Blue Ink on Green Paper just so no racial minority takes offense.

Sheesh!

Sneeze
May 18th, 2010, 04:28 AM
Yes, a small minority of idiots might get "offended" by the names because they are not politically correct, the same bunch that say we shouldn't say blackboard or sing baa baa black sheep to our children.

No, they will not get changed, they aren't gonna rename a title because a small group with nothing better to do deem it "offensive".

Thorns
May 18th, 2010, 04:28 AM
Could I just add that new names WOULD NOT change the actual games. I wouldn't care if thet decided to call it Yin and Yang, I would just get it for the GAME itself, not the name of it. And I feel sorry for everyone who has stated here that they would not get the game due to a minor name change. Not that big of a deal people....

Kirbychu
May 18th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Now that I think about it, did we think Yellow was racist when we were younger? No. I"m guessing that the core audience won't care (Or even think about that) either with these games, so the names probably won't be changed.

Cherrim
May 18th, 2010, 06:49 AM
If they didn't change HeartGold and SoulSilver's titles for the offense of being horrible, horrible Engrish, I doubt they'd change Black and White's titles.

Seriously, they're just colours. Maybe if Pokémon were still in its early years, people would make a big deal out of it and it would get a lot of bad press, but I don't think enough (important) people will care about the name for Nintendo to bother changing it. They may consider it for the sole purpose of being politically correct but I really hope they don't change it.

I understand the need for political correctness but I think it's a stupid movement and that people take offense to things FAR too easily these days.

Hiroshi Sotomura
May 18th, 2010, 06:57 AM
If they didn't change HeartGold and SoulSilver's titles for the offense of being horrible, horrible Engrish, I doubt they'd change Black and White's titles.

Seriously, they're just colours. Maybe if Pokémon were still in its early years, people would make a big deal out of it and it would get a lot of bad press, but I don't think enough (important) people will care about the name for Nintendo to bother changing it. They may consider it for the sole purpose of being politically correct but I really hope they don't change it.

I understand the need for political correctness but I think it's a stupid movement and that people take offense to things FAR too easily these days.
What she said.

People really should've dropped the whole "black" vs. "white" issue, but have there been any recent extreme cases? It'd also be the first time they actually change the name of a game in the series, but if they changed it, what would they possibly change it to? (They could change both.)

I don't imagine the names actually attracting people who could seriously call it out for being politically incorrect.

Spherical Ice
May 18th, 2010, 06:59 AM
I'm completely against the chaning of names if it were to happen and anyone who thinks it should change because of racial offense doesn't know the meaning of it.

Either way, I think Ebony and Ivory would be nice replacements, if they were to rename (which is highly unlikely for them to do).

TheNewRocketMovement
May 18th, 2010, 07:20 AM
I think Ebony and Ivory would be nice replacements, if they were to rename (which is highly unlikely for them to do).

I came onto this thread to write the exact same thing.

Fithboy
May 18th, 2010, 07:25 AM
lawyers always win in the end. Even if they lose the case they still get LOTS of money. They'll get into as many cases as possible.

SpawnHyuuga
May 18th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Well granted that the general public is quite stupid and ignorant, I still don't think they will change the names of Black and White in NA.

Now, obviously there are a few exceptions to the stupid people (most of them on this forum); but I really don't think there is a need to change the names. There are some seriously ridiculous lawsuits out there (like the one of the robber who sued the guy he was trying to rob because he hurt himself on the guys broken steps.)

So, for now - I really don't think it's a problem. But we also have to take into consideration that in these times it seems the racial barrier is at its highest - and back when Yellow was made; there wasn't very much hatred against asians.

Porygon-Z
May 18th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I came onto this thread to write the exact same thing.

Somehow that's actually worse for terms of political incorectness.

JP
May 18th, 2010, 09:18 AM
I can't see them changing the names. I think the games would lose something vital in this transition, and I'd rather that not happen.

ChrisTom
May 18th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Well I don't think the title is bad or anything (I hear about the idiots who think the names are racist. Anybody seen the episode of South Park "Cartman's Silly Hate Crime". It makes you think) but I think it might be changed.

If anything it will be changed to "Light and Dark". At least that's what I would think.

.Kaiser
May 18th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I remember this stupid incident about Gamefreak changing Jynx' skin color in the American versions from black to purple, so it wouldn't be totally unexpected if it happened.

But let's hope it does not.

seeker
May 18th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I don't see how a pokemon game with the title in which is referring to a colour could be controversial. I'm sure Gamefreak thought about the titles before releasing them so that they could corrospond with both America's laws and ethics as well as the European and the Asia & Oceanic versions of the games.

I think the fact that people are thinking (will think of it) of it as is somewhat close minded seeing as in it's just a colour. It is in no way racial. So I don't think that they will be changed, to be frank it's more profound as it is. I quite like the names and I'm happy to see that we've moved on from gems lol.

Okami Chi
May 18th, 2010, 10:27 AM
If they do Nintendo should change it to Ebony and Ivory. Just to be total jerks. ;)

Pokestick, good times.
May 18th, 2010, 10:31 AM
People coming with lawsuits really would be stupid. Seriously. I don't even think I'm gonna have to explain why xP

Just read what everyone else says. That would be stupid :D

I don't even know why I'm posting anymore. The question's already been answered -.-"

560cool.
May 18th, 2010, 10:31 AM
The only name change was Trozei! -> Link! for Europe. Since then, none.
But, if Nintendo spots idiots troling stuff like "Lawlz, pkm is da zoooo, razist, taht my no baying pkmn bw !1!!!11!!!1" they most probably won't care or get affected and change.

In general, I hope it stays the way it is : Black and White (BW) .

Angelroid
May 18th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I like the names Black and White.

People in the USA need to grow some balls. Canada wouldn't change the game names ever.

cobraman228
May 18th, 2010, 10:39 AM
It most likely will be.

NOA/NOE will most likely change them to some rock or something, just to be stupid.
well
Like, I'm 200% anti-racist, but I think blavk and white are awesome names, and I was gonna get black... well, we can all hope.

Rich Boy Rob
May 18th, 2010, 10:46 AM
They're hardly racist names.
I mean sure if they were called:
Pokémon: White superiority edition
and
Pokémon: Black slavery edition
sure, but Black and white? No. You don't see people suing black and white cats.

Yes, a small minority of idiots might get "offended" by the names because they are not politically correct, the same bunch that say we shouldn't say blackboard or sing baa baa black sheep to our children.

Tut tut tut, you shouldn't call it baa baa black sheep anymore, it's baa baa rainbow sheep now. Which is stupid in my opinion.

Dillon_68
May 18th, 2010, 11:41 AM

Technically, if us Indians were to get offended at any Pokemon game, it would be Red version. But we didn't so that proves your point, THEY ARE COLORS/SHADES, GET OVER IT!

Dominus Temporis
May 18th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I remember this stupid incident about Gamefreak changing Jynx' skin color in the American versions from black to purple.
Actually, it was Nintendo who did that for GSC, not GameFreak themselves (and it was for the international release, not just USA). They've been using it ever since in Japan too (and I have to admit Jynx actually kinda looks better now)...

Tut tut tut, you shouldn't call it baa baa black sheep anymore, it's baa baa rainbow sheep now. Which is stupid in my opinion.
So... do they call people the "rainbow sheep of the family"? Man, that's a whole nother bag of problems...

Meh, I see no reason for them to change it (does the Red/Green to Red/Blue conversion count for a change in the past?) at all. Look, we can take this to the absolutely ridiculous range and say Pearl was racist against clams, but that's silly, isn't it? And so is this idea. People who look at the names of these games and think of race first are the ones who have something wrong with them, not the game makers.

shookie
May 18th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Haha, renaming the games to Ebony and Ivory would be a step in the wrong direction.
Either way, Black and White are perfectly fine. The chances of enough people being offended by the names to even begin a lawsuit is slim to none, especially considering they aren't exclusively trying to market only one of the games. Plus it's not like this is only an issue in the USA, racism does exist in other countries.

JAK3
May 18th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I can definitely see people making fun of the name, mostly people that don't play it, but I won't, and I don't think it's necessary to change the name, so no, I don't think they will, and if they do, I don't think it was a useful decision.

Mad Hatteress
May 18th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Actually, it was Nintendo who did that for GSC, not GameFreak themselves (and it was for the international release, not just USA). They've been using it ever since in Japan too (and I have to admit Jynx actually kinda looks better now)

I have an awful sense of humor so that actually caused a bit of racism, in my opinion. I never thought of her as a racist stereotype until that whole incident. Now I think of her as a black woman who drank too much grape soda and turned purple.

Aether
May 18th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Sure, because Pokemon Red and Pokemon Yellow offended Native Americans and Asians right? When they change version names because of colors vaguely correlated with race, that's when I'll know that America has officially become a 3rd world country.

Crystal-Heart
May 18th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Anyone who assosiates the colours Black and White with anything to do with racism is, in fact, a little racist themselves for even allowing the thought to enter their heads. When I see the colour black, do I think of a person of African descent, no. Nor do I think of a Caucasian when I see the colour white. Quite frankly, people aren't white or black anyway, Caucasians are peach and Africans are brown, I have never met a white or black coloured person.

Even if they try to force Nintendo to change the names, it would get thrown out of court for being ridiculous as there will be no mention of race in the games to begin with.

Pkmn-Master
May 18th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Pokemon Caucasian and Pokemon African?

Seriously though. If this was racist, it would be Black/Black or White/White.
People these days assume that if you say "black", you're racist.

NoA is not this stupid.

Brendonwii
May 18th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Why the hell they will change it?
Its not racist its a colour/shade!!!!!!

Bluerang1
May 18th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Obsidian and Quartz would sound nice. Personally, I do think they'll change the names because as I said, "Black" and "White" is understandable by the Japanese and they don;t associate it with race whatsoever, however on this side where it's associated with race, they'll avoid conflict and change the name.

May 18th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Let me tell you about a nice little video game franchise called Black & White (http://lionhead.com/Games/BW/Default.aspx).

war rock exe
May 18th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I'm glad the people in here aren't racist..... I think you brought up a good point.... I think it should be called Pokemon Solid Black or Solid White

Pokemon Solid Black or Solid White would make a good name; don't you agree?

Mad Hatteress
May 18th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Pokemon Solid Black or Solid White would make a good name; don't you agree?

No. It actually sounds pretty stupid, IMO.

Sneeze
May 18th, 2010, 02:39 PM

I heard baa baa wool sheep, both are idiotic. If anything, how about baa baa yellow mareep. :3

Charizard632
May 18th, 2010, 02:42 PM
At first, I said no. After reading this, the name "Pokemon Black Version" is a contraversy.<---Spelled Wrong? The name should stay, but I'm confused whether the name should change or not.
Obsidian and Quartz would sound nice. Personally, I do think they'll change the names because as I said, "Black" and "White" is understandable by the Japanese and they don;t associate it with race whatsoever, however on this side where it's associated with race, they'll avoid conflict and change the name.
I'm sorry, but there's already a rom hack called "Pokemon Quartz".

Pkmn-Master
May 18th, 2010, 02:53 PM
At first, I said no. After reading this, the name "Pokemon Black Version" is a contraversy.<---Spelled Wrong? The name should stay, but I'm confused whether the name should change or not.

There was a fangame named "Pokemon Platinum", but that didn't stop Nintendo.

MistahDude
May 18th, 2010, 02:57 PM

there is already a rom hack called black, and a rom hack called white.

EmeraldSerenade
May 18th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I don't think they should change the name of the games, because, as stated in the posts above, they're not necessarily associated with racism.. Its just a game after all.

Guy
May 18th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Anyone who assosiates the colours Black and White with anything to do with racism is, in fact, a little racist themselves for even allowing the thought to enter their heads. When I see the colour black, do I think of a person of African descent, no. Nor do I think of a Caucasian when I see the colour white. Quite frankly, people aren't white or black anyway, Caucasians are peach and Africans are brown, I have never met a white or black coloured person.

Even if they try to force Nintendo to change the names, it would get thrown out of court for being ridiculous as there will be no mention of race in the games to begin with.
I agree here with Crystal-Heart.

If anybody is going to think of these games as racial because of the title, then they themselves are basically thinking with a close mind. The games itself do not revolve around racism, nor does Nintendo advertise one more than the other. So, for it to cause a controversy would be between those who still have in their mind that blacks are black people and whites are white people. It's just a color, and like Crystal-Heart said, I still have yet to see an actual true "black" and "white" person.

This is only a minor conflict, and with that, I see it slim to none that these titles will be changed when released in not only the USA but worldwide as well.

pokemongarnet
May 18th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I doubt it would, people don't find that racist and even so the lawsuits would fail becaus it really isnt racist.

Thunderpunch
May 19th, 2010, 01:26 AM
If they do release it as Black and White in Japan, they'll do so in American as well, or at least Something Black and Something White ("Obsidian Black" or w/e, but it will include the words Black and White). No-one is going to start any public arguments about it, because we already have so many products with names like Black and White, that no-one complains about. There's the "Black and White" milkshake, there's "black and white" photos and movies, and of course a video game called Black and White by EA. Actually, because of that latter, they may in fact opt for the Something Black and Something White idea I mentioned, because historically they've shied from giving pokemon titles existing names. In fact, they renamed the Japanese Team Galaxy to Team Galactic in the English release because of an existing anime called Team Galaxy (source: Bulbapedia)

Ninja Caterpie
May 19th, 2010, 01:53 AM

There was a GSC hack called Diamond, too, but that's not the point, is it? If you're going to say ROM Hack names can't be used, there aren't any names that can that don't sound stupid. Just about every "normal" colour has been taken, as well as all gemstones and metals. =|

OT: I find it silly that the idea could even enter one's head that the names Black and White have racial connotations. Although the names Black and White are (in my opinion) a little bland compared to what we've been getting for the past few years, they aren't bad names.

.light
May 19th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Seriously? I reckon nintendo are the racist one becuase they don't add black pkmn trainers, hardly even brown.... and I dought the name will get picked up because it's pokemon...

ggctuk
May 19th, 2010, 03:39 AM
And while we're at it, those uptight lawyers will be filing for legal change of the colours black and white, because they're offensive :pink_no:

Doubt they'll change the names so long as the boxart doesn't change and we have black-coloured and white-coloured boxart for the two versions.

Masterge77
May 19th, 2010, 04:00 AM
You remember Megaman Battle Network 3? the versions were originally called Black and White, but due to racial paranoia, was changed to Blue and White, two names that are very incompatible with each other as a pair........

Actually, it was paranoia that caused HG/SS to be so heavily censored, first, we have the Tin Tower, renamed to Bell Tower because of 9/11 conspiracies, enen though the Ecruteak Towers had NOTHING to do with terrorism, the towers were based off of the Kyoto temples in ancient Japanese History, then we had entire lines of dialouge changed from BOTH the Japanese HG/SS AND the original G/S/C, the prime examples being anything on the Game Corner, Professor Elms quest involving Mr. Pokemon, and most critically, an NPC in Celadon, who originally said (in G/S/C and Japanese HG/SS) "Hehehe, this gym is great, it's full of women" it was changed to "Hehehe, this gym is great, it's full of STRONG TRAINERS" because NOA thought he was the pervy toad sage (why must Narutards ruin EVERYTHING!?), Finnaly, we have Voltorb Flip, which was born from paranoia of gambling, Jack Thompson, and the European morons who bombarded the Veilstone Game Corner in Platinum, it's not even realistic gambling, it's a freaking minigame and you have a fit over it, not to mention that you are not using your in game money, YOU ARE USING GAME CORNER COINS, which are like the tokens at Chuck E' Cheese, but does the ESRB care, NO, they just kill all the NPCs in the Game corner, and replace them with three old geezers (Jack Thompson, a.k.a. "Mr. Game" and two of his senior citizen cronies) in a suprisingly EUROPEAN STYLED ROOM, so it IS Europes fault that the slots are gone, just like they did in Veilstone. It is highly likely that Black and White will have slots in their game corner, which will 99.99% chance be converted into Voltorb Flip in America, the EXACT SAME from HG/SS with the same NPCs and dialouge, though since B/W have not been released in Japan yet, it is possible that there will be no Slots in Japan, but instead an Arcade filled with Pokemon-ified versions of arcade classics such as Tetris, Donkey Kong, and Galaga/Space Invaders/generic-arcade-space-shooters, we won't know until the games come out (I'm sure game freak is aware of what NOA did to the Game corner in HG/SS and are trying to make it up in B/W)

On the version names, I am sure they will stay the same, since there already is a Blue Version of Pokemon and the version names are always related to the color of the legendary mascots of the individual games (unless NOA pulls a Jynx on us and changes the color of the still unrevealed Black Version mascot)

PiPVoda
May 19th, 2010, 08:14 AM
No, the names will not be changed, and if you ask me the only ones with even a thought of it seem to be online pokemon fans. Nintendo of America wouldn't, or shouldn't, be that stupid to even bring it up, and I don't see anyone in America taking offense over it considering it's just a POKEMON game.

I am black, and take no offense, and I'm positive most others won't. If the names are changed though I will still get the games. I mean a name is just a name it should have nothing to do with gameplay. At first I thought the names were retarded though, now I love them.

I guess I should mention as well that black and white aren't colors, they are just mear shades.

Sure, because Pokemon Red and Pokemon Yellow offended Native Americans and Asians right? When they change version names because of colors vaguely correlated with race, that's when I'll know that America has officially become a 3rd world country.

That would have nothing to do with being 3rd world. I'd say we live in a protectionist society but 3rd world countries usually don't have this sort of argument. They have far worse problems to attend to. and please don't compare this to red and yellow versions. Native Americans of course aren't red, many are of a color that some blacks are or lighter. Asians aren't yellow either. East Asians (Japanese..as in land where pkmn originated) are usually paler while SE/South Asians are more of a brown shade. Even seen some Indians that were darker than blacks that I know.

The box art will tell us a lot of how the games will be received. Though that may sound stupid a pokemon game is obviously judged on its cover art before it is even released. Depending on what black and white's cover art is may shape how people think of these games..if you get what I mean.

ILoveDragonite
May 19th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Knowing how up tight Nintendo of America's lawyers are I would assume that they would not let Black and White slide as acceptable names. Unlike Japan, we have a lot of black people here and lawsuits could come up from stupid people who don't understand what racism means.

I personally think they could come up with better names than Black, White and possibly Gray. I would love for the names to be changed, and they might here in America.

What do you think?
The names aren't offensive at all. Black and white are just two tones. This is the most nonsensical thing i have ever read. Do people actually take race this seriously? It's not called pokemon african american and pokemon crackers, is it?

Zeta Patchouli
May 28th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I don't think they're offensive, and it seems as though they're keeping the names Black and White, judging by what they're saying on the official website. I'm going to hear crying about it from other people, but I'm kind of glad they're releasing it as such, unless they change it at the last second.

Haza
May 28th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Me too... and besides, racial issues are not all the rage anymore. It's Gay Rights, so maybe we should not expect Rainbow to be the third installment anymore should we? :/

Charizard632
May 29th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Hey! It's been decided that the names in Pokemon Black and White may not be changed, because on the front page in Pokemon.com, there was Pokemon Black and White with unchanged names, so there will be a Pokemon Black and White. No change in the name!

Yingxue
May 29th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Herp derp guise they're not changing the name.

Penutz
May 29th, 2010, 08:39 AM
If anyone is going to get a name change its going to be australia. We dont have R rated games (18+). The game "bully" on ps2, got changed to "Canis cadem edit". Left for dead 2 had no gore. and everytime an indian gets murdered or attacked, everyone yells racist.

NatureKeeper
May 29th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Yes, it has been confirmed here:
http://www.pokemon.com/us/news/vg_blackwhite_announce-2010-05-28/

and, if so, Chess is racist, Dominoes are Racist, Yin Yang is racist. Too illogical to call B&W racist. So, yeah.

Kindred Sworn
May 29th, 2010, 10:43 PM
To be honest, the connection between the names and racism hadn't even crossed my mind until reading this thread. I doubt even stuck up lawyers could care enough to go through an attempt to change it. Racism is in the past, time to get over meaningless stuff like this imo. Glad they're not changing it :D

Ninja Caterpie
May 29th, 2010, 10:51 PM
If anyone is going to get a name change its going to be australia. We dont have R rated games (18+). The game "bully" on ps2, got changed to "Canis cadem edit". Left for dead 2 had no gore. and everytime an indian gets murdered or attacked, everyone yells racist.

I don't see what Black and White have to do with R-rated games. And, well, whenever an Indian gets murdered, it generally is racism. =|

Also, there's a game called Black & White (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_%26_White_(video_game)). That didn't get changed; this isn't either.

loliwin
May 29th, 2010, 10:54 PM
I think this game wont have any strong violence. >_>

Master Jecht
May 29th, 2010, 10:55 PM
They are not going to change the name so don't worry.

Andrew McKenzie
May 30th, 2010, 04:49 AM
This whole thing about Black and White is ridiculous.
There have been many games with names similar to this that weren't name changed or censored or raged over.
It's a frikkin kids game.

Besides, take a look at Lionhead's Black and White, and Black and White II.
They never had their names changed.

KejiBebi
May 30th, 2010, 05:49 AM
I think the names should stay the same. I can't think of anything they could change it to that wouldn't sound slightly retarded.
I don't think it will cause many problems with racism, since there are so many other merchandise with the option to either buy in black or white. If someone will honestly say that the names of these games offends them, then they are just plain ignorant.
I like the names a lot. :3 I sure hope they will stay the same.

umbreon_4_life
May 30th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Why should they change the name? Black and white are just two other colors, like red, blue, yellow, and green. What's the big deal about that? If some people felt offended, that wouldn't make them change the version names. Like previously said, people probably didn't feel offended at the makings of Pokemon Yellow. The company wouldn't call the games Black and White if they knew that people would be offended by it. It's just colors. I'm sure they didn't relate them to human races. It's really no big deal.

Bluerang1
May 30th, 2010, 06:09 AM
They aren't changing the names. It's on the US website as "Pokémon Black Version" and "Pokémon White Version". So you guys can rest :)

Hiroshi Sotomura
May 30th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Since everyone's now repeating the same information again and again, I'm just going to close the thread since the names are known.

(They really need to drop the "-Version" moniker, I swear.)