PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] Voice acting, maybe?

chillj
May 18th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Wouldn't it be cool if Pokemon Black and White had voice acting? It would be pretty cool to hear actual pokemon cries like in the anime? And maybe when you start a new game, you'd be asked to record something like "Go! Pikachu!" using the DSi microphone and when you sent out a certain Pokemon, what you recorded for sending it out, it would play back. You could record "Go!" and then record the name of every Pokemon... all 600 or so... and when you sent it out, it'd play back go and the name. Cool, right?

pokemongarnet
May 18th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I like the idea however i wouldn't record all of the pokemon names. On wifi it could be risky bcuz ppl could say watevr they want and other people'd hear it.

A Pixy
That is interesting. Although, it should be like a seal. You put it on a Pokemon and record what you want to say. The Pokemon might have a nickname. For example, if I were to put it on a Clefable, I would want to say, 'Go! Clefable!' I'd rather say 'Go! Pixy!'.

And it could have some. If there were pre-rendered cut-scenes or something like that. o3o

Izanagi
I'd like to see some usage of the Mic, but not voice acting.

shookie
May 18th, 2010, 05:07 PM
It's definitely not a bad idea or anything...I'd just get horrible, horrible Hey You Pikachu flashbacks.

Brittani
May 18th, 2010, 05:11 PM
it'd be cool if all the voice acting was monitored for wifi and i wouldnt record for all the pokemon, that would take forever!

Amazing_NeoSteelX
May 18th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Thats good for the Adventure part but it should be deactivated during Multiplayer because Stupid people will say stuff XD

chillj
May 18th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Maybe you don't record voices in the beginning, but you could record "Go, (insert Pokemon name here)!" after you catch it so you wouldn't be waiting so long for actual gameplay.

musesum626
May 18th, 2010, 06:06 PM
I'd rather not have it, especially with Pokemon cries, since that would change a whole lot about the old Pokemon (from the games, not anime) I know and love. I don't want this game to have a lot of ties to the anime, since I'm not a fan of it. I might be fine with the microphone stuff, though, if it's optional.

JP
May 18th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I think these games might just be the only ones I like without some sort of voice acting.

Esper
May 18th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I wouldn't like it if my game started talking to me. I don't see how it adds anything. It's gimmicky. Put me firmly in the no voice acting category.

Sora
May 18th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I'm pretty sure all that would happen if there was voice acting is the many people who would complain about how the voices are good or anything. I like voices in games, but I think Pokemon is just fine without it. Maybe if there was an option in the options menu to have voice acting or not that I'll fine but otherwise, no thanks.

Lie Ren
May 18th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I'd love voice acting for the Pokemon, but recording our voices for the battle calls.. not so much. xD;

Seems like it would be a hassle.

Guy
May 18th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I think these games might just be the only ones I like without some sort of voice acting.
Yeah, Pokémon is just one of those games that doesn't need voice acting to be put into it. They actually did it with Chatot and its move Chatter. You could record your voice and say what you like, so when it came out to battle it would play that recording. Honestly, the quality of it wasn't really put out well, and that's to be expected with the DS/DSi mic. So, I'd probably prefer for this to be one of those features not added - at least not now.

If Pokémon could say their actual names when called out instead of their cry, then that's something I wouldn't mind.

Timbjerr
May 18th, 2010, 07:16 PM
In games like Pokemon, in-game VA only really works during fully rendered cutscenes. It'll be way to much effort to have every single NPC have an audible voice...and I don't foresee fully rendered cutscenes unless the story takes a huge turn towards a darker tone. :P

Also, I've always preferred the pokemon's game cries to their anime cries...just sounds more traditional.

As for recording your voice for the player character's battle lines, it could be fun to play with, and make better use of the mic than Chatter does. But imagine those of us that will play as the opposite-gender player character...I for one have a masculine baritone voice that would be hilarious to hear coming from the new playable female trainer. XD

Cherrim
May 19th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Yeah, Pokémon is just one of those games that doesn't need voice acting to be put into it. They actually did it with Chatot and its move Chatter. You could record your voice and say what you like, so when it came out to battle it would play that recording. Honestly, the quality of it wasn't really put out well, and that's to be expected with the DS/DSi mic. So, I'd probably prefer for this to be one of those features not added - at least not now.

If Pokémon could say their actual names when called out instead of their cry, then that's something I wouldn't mind.

This fits my viewpoint exactly. :/

Voice acting would be weird in Pokémon. Notice how the protagonist never says anything? Yeah. That's because they want YOU to be the protagonist. It's harder to project yourself onto a character that has a voice that isn't yours. Some series do this okay by having everyone else talk but I always find that awkward and to be honest, I just can't see Pokémon (the main series) having voice acting. I don't think I'd like it much.

But I would adore if we could have Pokémon saying their actual names rather than the current cries.

JakeyBoy
May 19th, 2010, 06:05 AM
No. it wouldn't fit, and would probably contrast with the basic visual style. Doubt the quality would be good as well. And the voices would take up a HUGE amount of space considering how much pointless dialogue there is.

And I'm not a fan of having the "real" voices either. The GB noises are more interesting.

PiPVoda
May 19th, 2010, 07:50 AM
I voted ehh. Voice acting would be cool, but I've played games where the voice acting was atrocious. The things that annoy me:
--the character has some annoying voice
--the speech isn't in-sync with how the lips of the person moves or the situation around.
--voices that take too long to get through.

The positivies to them:
--IF done right they can really make a game seem more realistic and fun
--Sometimes the voices are cool (my fav. voice acting was done in Xenosaga trilogy and Monster Kingdom Jewel Summoner...halo's was pretty good too)

voice acting in pokemon would be totally different. some people may prefer it and some may be against it (as seen from 13 people voting no) so it's really not that easy to tell if it makes a game better or worse. I can see Nintendo experimenting with this sometime in the future though. But for the time being and for the distant future we won't have it. Idk but despite liking voice acting at times the mysterious aura that revolves around the trainer you plan is kind of interesting.

Alpha_Spike
May 19th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Voice acting would require Game Freak being able to have full CGI videos within the game or have full 3D models for their NPC's which would require more space then an actual DS game can handle. Now Voice Recording/Mic usage can be done since technically its already available for all Gen IV games. But a major NO to voice acting just due to the logic required to make it usable.

ILoveDragonite
May 19th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Hell no, i have never in my life ever heard a good english voice actor. This would be a single factor that could completely kill my love for pokemon.

Kon~
May 19th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I... am reluctantly saying yes. As much as I would miss my little monster cries, I remember in Yellow where Pikachu actually said "Pikachu!" and it was awesome!

Plus, with Chatot's Chatter, that was the beginning of voice acting.

I would like to see perhaps the new Pokémon at least, getting voices. What I mean is, the Kanto Pokémon still have their blocky cries, whereas Sinnoh Pokémon have nice, tuneful cries... why not have updated ones for the new guys?

And I like the idea of a Seal-like system where you can record yourself sending out the Pokémon by nickname.

PiPVoda
May 19th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I... am reluctantly saying yes. As much as I would miss my little monster cries, I remember in Yellow where Pikachu actually said "Pikachu!" and it was awesome!

Plus, with Chatot's Chatter, that was the beginning of voice acting.

I would like to see perhaps the new Pokémon at least, getting voices. What I mean is, the Kanto Pokémon still have their blocky cries, whereas Sinnoh Pokémon have nice, tuneful cries... why not have updated ones for the new guys?

And I like the idea of a Seal-like system where you can record yourself sending out the Pokémon by nickname.

have you heard Kricketune's cry? it's anything BUT nice and tuneful. We will more than likely have some ugly cries and some pleasant cries in black and white...just wondering which pokemon will fall into either category.

austin00081
May 19th, 2010, 11:30 AM
You could record your voice and say what you like, so when it came out to battle it would play that recording. Honestly, the quality of it wasn't really put out well, and that's to be expected with the DS/DSi mic.

Except how Chatter works is like this: "When a person's voice is recorded for the attack, the noise will always be distorted, possibly a failsafe to prevent foul words from being emitted by the game.".
So, it's not the quality of the DS mic at all, it's the move itself.

-Jake
May 19th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Please no...
Good old classic Pokemon is how I like to play. >.<

Kon~
May 19th, 2010, 11:40 AM
have you heard Kricketune's cry? it's anything BUT nice and tuneful. We will more than likely have some ugly cries and some pleasant cries in black and white...just wondering which pokemon will fall into either category.

Strange, because I was thinking about Kricketune when I wrote that... ah well, each to their own. *shrugs*

Aureol
May 19th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Voices for Pokemon maaaaaybeeeee... but I would be really skeptical.

Anything other than that, no.

flight
May 19th, 2010, 03:29 PM
As nice as that would be, it would be preferable of B/W didn't have it because we might have people complaining about the possible "bad" voice acting. :(

Eurydice
May 19th, 2010, 04:28 PM
no i dont think the game should have voice acting. maybe change the pokemon cries a little to make them mor unique but other than that no. and i dont like the idea of recording stuff on the game. the games are good without all that stuff.

SonofWiseii
May 19th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Oh dear.

I've had enough bad experience with voice acting, that I'd rather not. Even for Pokemon cries, I'd rather not. That's because my cousin and I sometimes drill each other on recognizing cries when we're bored sometimes, and I just can't see it working out well anyway. :(

chillj
May 20th, 2010, 08:44 PM
The people who say "no" have a good point... but, maybe in the beginning of a Pokemon game with voice acting, there would be an option to leave voice acting on or turn it off.

TB Pro
May 20th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Please, no. Wifi would be full of "GO PENIS!" and "SUCK MY GENITILIA", as if it weren't full of it enough already.

chillj
May 20th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Good point... Maybe it could be disabled during Wi-Fi battles.

Swift!
May 20th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I'd love to see voice acting in the Gen 5 games, it would be awesome. As long as they kept the player's character silent, like in previous generations. xD

Zeffy
May 20th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Please, no. Wifi would be full of "GO PENIS!" and "SUCK MY GENITILIA", as if it weren't full of it enough already.
This.

It's definitely a no. Voice acting = not for Pokemon games.
Its not even ideal, because Pokemon's story is so different. If it has FMVs then voices for that would be needed, but it doesn't have any FMV.

loliwin
May 20th, 2010, 11:36 PM
No.

They'd come up with super complicated special technology is they had to say the player's name. XD

X75flames
May 21st, 2010, 05:42 AM
Only voted yes beacuse I thought you ment people talking voice acting. You saying crap into the mike isnt acting its recording, so no.

Townlain03
May 21st, 2010, 06:31 AM
I'd love to see a choice of what ur person could say

like u could have a selection of what to say

also voice acting would be good to a certain extent

Charsivy
May 21st, 2010, 06:33 AM
I think it would be pretty cool. As long as it were turned off during Wi-Fi battles, that is. It would also be good if you could toggle it on and off anytime in the game. As for all the Pokémon with anime voices... it's just what I've always wanted in these games. Cries are boring to me.

The Corrupt Plague
May 21st, 2010, 09:41 AM
I'm okay with voice acting being used in important cutscenes, but using it for every single NPC would just be too much. As for recording your own voice during battles? No, just no. It would be very embarrassing and awkward when I play the game out in public. My opinion on the cries is that it would be a good idea to put in the anime cries only as long as I have the option to turn them off and go back to the old ones every now and then.

Yingxue
May 21st, 2010, 09:44 AM
No, I don't know why people are so obsessed with the idea of putting in the anime cries into the games (that came way before the anime in the first place...) It'd take too long to localise it for international release, too...

Volroc
May 21st, 2010, 01:34 PM
the legend of zelda enough said -_-"

pokemon is perfect without voice actin, look what happened to TLoZ when they did voice actin, completely bombed to the point they dont even consider it a part of the series.

if they do voice actin ill stop bein a fan, i refuse to watch pokemon get ****ed up.

Storm_has_formed
May 21st, 2010, 03:45 PM
is that even possible with a DS cartridge?

Enigma
May 21st, 2010, 04:43 PM
Please no...
Good old classic Pokemon is how I like to play. >.<
Very much agreed. :pink_nod: I don't think the voice acting would be good at all anyway, IMO.

rockman0
May 21st, 2010, 05:28 PM
I would love the idea of recording my voice into the game. It'll make me look even more idiotic screaming into the microphone! (no sarcasm intended, i promise)

If you're talking about voice acting the npc's instead of text boxes, then no. I would hate that.

Azzurra
May 24th, 2010, 11:04 PM
This would be a very fun addition to the games. I'd love to be able to record my voice and be able to hear it every time I enter a battle or something.

DXrobots
May 25th, 2010, 12:26 AM
For cut scenes yes. for everything else in the game no

vibratingcat
May 25th, 2010, 12:32 AM
i hate the idea of recording ur voice for ur dude, but i want voice acting. the protagonist is suppose to talk as little as possible. having other main characters have voices during cut scenes would be maad, (unless u got the english one of course haha) and would make it seem more deep. it would be also cool to have a comentator for the battle frontier.

Eliminator Jr.
May 25th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Definitely not. Voice acting has, well not ruined, but impacts how much I enjoy a game. For example, Tidus' voice in Final Fantasy X is really annoying. However it can also be an aid, for example Auron's voice in Final Fantasy X. However, I'd rather have it, I'd hate for the character you play to be given a really lame voice.

GoldvsRed
May 26th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I'm saying "no" to voice acting not because I want to stick to the classics, but because I'm afraid it would sound terrible, and delay the translation.

560cool.
May 26th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I'm saying "no" to voice acting not because I want to stick to the classics, but because I'm afraid it would sound terrible, and delay the translation.

Good point up there ! :)
I'm saying no for the exavt same reasons ! Europeans get the games last anyways, but I would HATE waiting two-three months like we did for Pt. !

PiPVoda
May 26th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I'd love to see a choice of what ur person could say

like u could have a selection of what to say

also voice acting would be good to a certain extent

kind of like in mystery dungeon? The only problem I'd have with that is if you were forced to say something you didn't want to say.

Example:

::Finished fighting boss of evil team::

Boss: You are a strong trainer, we could use someone as young and with good wits as you, shall you join our team?

::Options show up on screen, yes or no, you click yes::

Annoying rival shows up: Hey ___ you finally beat 'em!.....what?....what's this?....you want to join the bad guys?!...no way you can't do that!

::Options appear on screen again, you click yes again but AGAIN annoying rival stops you. Options appear again, you give up and just click no::

Annoying rival: Haha yeah that's the way to go! Now evil boss guy get lost before you get some more comin' your way.

::You throw DS at wall::

chillj
May 26th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Lol, DS to the wall... This is a lil' off topic, but isn't it weird that Pokemon Ranger has better graphics than the main Pokemon games? Back on topic... don't reply to the Pokemon Ranger thing.

dozo
May 26th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I think the voice acting would be a terrible idea.
Pokemon made me the fast reader I am and having someone do that for me just takes away the fun.
:P

chillj
May 26th, 2010, 05:24 PM
You've got a point, dozo.

HugSomebody
May 26th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I personally think voice acting in the Pokemon games would be a bad idea. =x I prefer the Pokemons' unique calls in the game, not the average "I'm going to shout my name in a funny voice over and over again!!" in the Pokemon anime.

~GodricGryffindor9~
May 26th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Voice acting... It just doesnt seem like pokemon... I mean I like the spectator in Battle Revo but to have other people talk to each other with voices just doesnt seem right.

Åzurε
May 26th, 2010, 05:36 PM
I personally think voice acting in the Pokemon games would be a bad idea. =x I prefer the Pokemons' unique calls in the game, not the average "I'm going to shout my name in a funny voice over and over again!!" in the Pokemon anime.

unique

I giggled. Pidgeot/Chansey is exhibit A. Charizard/Rhyhorn, exhibit B.

When I voted I thought people meant in-game voice acting. Like important scenes having talking people. It would have been awesome for Cyrus, calling Dialga and Palkia, showing a little fear in his voice when Giratina appears... And anything Steven or Cynthia say. Absolutely awesome. I guess recorded stuff would be fun, too, but I like my idea better. XD

SargeantMajorKururu
June 14th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Okay. Look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDmVOQtJjXs&playnext_from=TL&videos=dafwD_iuxI0&feature=sub (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDmVOQtJjXs&playnext_from=TL&videos=dafwD_iuxI0&feature=sub)

Okay you got it? Good. Now pause it at the time 4:32. You should see a pokedex entry of Pokabu. But that's not the main point. Look at the bottom left hand of the screen. It says: "Voice". What do you think this means? Are they abandoning the old cries and bringing in voice actors? Or is it a new feature?

RYOUKI
June 14th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I think it just means cries. I mean, if they turned to VAs, I don't know what to do. VAs are supposed to be on Action RPGs like TWEWY or games like Time Hollow.

SodeNoZangetsu
June 14th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I'm sure it just means their cry.

... Least... I hope it does. O.o

Nah, pretty sure. :)

Magmarizer
June 14th, 2010, 08:03 PM
im sure it is just cries, but hopefully they will be more realistic.

MistahDude
June 14th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Okay. Look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDmVOQtJjXs&playnext_from=TL&videos=dafwD_iuxI0&feature=sub (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDmVOQtJjXs&playnext_from=TL&videos=dafwD_iuxI0&feature=sub)

Okay you got it? Good. Now pause it at the time 4:32. You should see a pokedex entry of Pokabu. But that's not the main point. Look at the bottom left hand of the screen. It says: "Voice". What do you think this means? Are they abandoning the old cries and bringing in voice actors? Or is it a new feature?

confused english speaker is confused.

It is the same as Cry to us. It will be changed to Cry when NOA goes through it. They make those changes so people don't freak out like you are right now.

UmbreonUniverse
July 20th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Maybe you don't record voices in the beginning, but you could record "Go, (insert Pokemon name here)!" after you catch it so you wouldn't be waiting so long for actual gameplay.
Yeah but instead of "Go!" they could say something childish like swear words etc now this would be a good idea but after a while you will start to hear other things.

drewface
July 20th, 2010, 02:00 PM
never want.
the anime is bad enough

Calder
July 20th, 2010, 02:05 PM
I don't think he means us recording what to say but the Pokemon yelling for instants "Pika! Pikachu!" Randomly...

Agent Clank
July 20th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I don't think that it would be a good idea.
like others have said,someone could say something bad and nobody could change it.
so no,I don't think this a good idea.

orange discontent
July 20th, 2010, 04:36 PM
DO NOT WANT. This isn't the anime.

Zet
July 20th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Voice Acting would be horrible, it would be like giving Link a full talking roll besides his grunts, moans and many other things.

Vulpes bicaudata
July 20th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I don't really like voice acting in any games, ever. What do you people have against reading? (That's a joke, for the record.)

MegaKuriboh
July 20th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Sound Stupid.
Just... No please...

locoroco
July 20th, 2010, 05:37 PM

This made me RRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLLL. Its true though, i havent been on wifi battles unless some1 invited me but i mean NVM XD.

I think it would be a good idea if the pokemon had their cries i love pokemon yellow how pikachu says his actual voice ITS AWESOME.

Lamb2
July 20th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Voice acting would be interesting. Though Pokemon has made me a fast reader, it could have voice acting with the words the person is saying.

Although, knowing Nintendo, the voice acting would be kinda off. No offense to Nintendo, though.

Spinor
July 20th, 2010, 06:27 PM
It would be pretty cool to hear actual pokemon cries like in the anime?

NO

And smaller no's to all your ideas. I just think it would be horrible.

MistahDude
July 20th, 2010, 06:30 PM

It means Cry/Cries, there probably isnt a japanese equivalent for it.

vietazn654
July 20th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Oh no thank you. :P Plus doesn't Chatot have that move that you use a microphone for? (Forgot what it's called.)

Lamb2
July 20th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Oh no thank you. :P Plus doesn't Chatot have that move that you use a microphone for? (Forgot what it's called.)

It's called Chatter, I think.

Anyways, come on guys, it wouldn't be all that bad.

I mean...have you ever played Metroid Prime? Well, Metroid Prime 3 Corruption came with voice acting, and it was a little sketchy at first, but it created such a great impact on the game.

Also, some of my friends refuse to play Pokemon unless there is voice acting. They get annoyed of just reading what a guy is saying without actually getting to hear the guy's voice.

However, if you don't want voice acting just for the sake of staying old school, I can see what you mean.

Haowakeorden
July 21st, 2010, 05:24 PM
Voice acting is fine in my opinion. They could have it or they don't, and it wouldn't negatively affect my gaming experience either way, provided they have subtitles for speech.

Hiroshi Sotomura
July 21st, 2010, 08:10 PM
You gotta wonder when voice acting could be applied to the game - voice acting doesn't come cheap, and with six languages to make recordings for (Japanese, English, German, French, Spanish and Italian) it's going to be really costly. That, and Nintendo of America can't pick or pay for decent voice actors if their life depended on it.

Of course, TPC probably wouldn't mind funding voice actors for the Japanese version (keeping in mind that Nintendo Co. Ltd does have the money to contract a voice acting or production company), and those RPG-like trainer portrait scenes would certainly be suited to voice acting. In other scenes, it would probably sound awkward.

austy14
July 21st, 2010, 08:46 PM
that would be kinda cool! but maybe instead of the species, the nickname? you can already nickname it whatever. and that'll make nicknames more special!

flight
July 21st, 2010, 08:53 PM
Voice acting? In my Pokemon? I always thought that the two really don't go together. I mean, I've seen a lot of revolutionary change, but this might be a tad bit too much. I'd feel awkward having voice acting in it, but it wouldn't be too bad, but I'm a bit with Jake on this one seeing as I'm on the fence on whether NoA would actually hire good voice actors or not. x_x;

In any case, I'm leaning towards no.

kasabian_
July 21st, 2010, 11:16 PM
You gotta wonder when voice acting could be applied to the game - voice acting doesn't come cheap, and with six languages to make recordings for (Japanese, English, German, French, Spanish and Italian) it's going to be really costly. That, and Nintendo of America can't pick or pay for decent voice actors if their life depended on it.

Of course, TPC probably wouldn't mind funding voice actors for the Japanese version (keeping in mind that Nintendo Co. Ltd does have the money to contract a voice acting or production company), and those RPG-like trainer portrait scenes would certainly be suited to voice acting. In other scenes, it would probably sound awkward.

Seconded.
I see why some of you want it, but, the original is still the best, and It always will be xD

BigBlastoise
July 21st, 2010, 11:37 PM
Seconded.
I see why some of you want it, but, the original is still the best, and It always will be xD

But that is your opinion. The point is, it is an idea that could possibly be used in the future. If Pokemon decides to do it, there is ABSOLUTELY nothing ANYBODY could do about it. I mean, when they had several characters leave the show, they keep adding more and more Pokemon, they even had the balls to add contests. Really? Nobody likes any of those features much anymore. The people who did most likely never watched and played it from the beginning. So, if it happens, you can complain about it. Or you can deal with it and play along with the Pokemon Company like I have been forced to (I ztill lovez thoze monz) put up with it for 6 years now.

Lamb2
July 22nd, 2010, 07:51 AM
Hmm...you have all made some really good points.

But, seriously, it's time for Nintendo to make some big changes. For a long time they have been just adding stuff, little by little, and some of that stuff doesn't even change the game a little bit. It's time that Nintendo actually does something different, and I think this should be one of those changes. It would be like a whole new era of Pokemon.

GoDJ757
July 22nd, 2010, 10:49 AM
I'm kinda 50 50. I have to see how its implemented first.

Yuoaman
July 22nd, 2010, 09:33 PM
No way. I'm always very uncomfortable playing handheld games with voice acting. They usually aren't made to be very cinematic and voice acting detracts from the actual gameplay.

Jerme
July 23rd, 2010, 07:47 AM
nope, it might take up too much space. i would rather have them put effort into gameplay rather than voices (you know there will be a lot of them) before they take up too much space.

yung_link
July 23rd, 2010, 08:01 AM
it sounds like a good idea, but as with many good ideas, ppl will find a way to misuse it...

Turnabout
July 23rd, 2010, 08:31 AM
Eep, there are way too many things that could go wrong.
I mean I'd be so angry is they picked terrible voice actors that didn't suit the characters :/
But yeah, this wouldn't work anytime soon.

But I would like voice acting if they made a new rpg like colosseum/XD. It would probably go down a treat in games like that but only if they put in a lot of effort.
I wouldn't want dodgy voice acting that doesn't match their mouths half the time @_@

Also, you want to hear the pokemon anime voices instead of their game cries? Are you insane?!? D':

BigBlastoise
July 24th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Hmm...you have all made some really good points.

But, seriously, it's time for Nintendo to make some big changes. For a long time they have been just adding stuff, little by little, and some of that stuff doesn't even change the game a little bit. It's time that Nintendo actually does something different, and I think this should be one of those changes. It would be like a whole new era of Pokemon.

I'd like to point out, when they started changing a bunch of stuff for the third generation, it wasn't well received. I think they are being cautious with the ways they do things now. I have to respect that.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
July 24th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I just want them to change the cries of some Kanto and Johto pokemon and I'm good, not much need for voice acting though it would be cool :)

Haowakeorden
July 24th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I just want them to change the cries of some Kanto and Johto pokemon and I'm good, not much need for voice acting though it would be cool :)
Change their cries? I hope you're asking for a simple "cleanup", not a radical change. More than 10 years after the Generation I and II Pokémon games were released, the Pokémon cries from the earlier generations have long since been able to define the Pokémon themselves.

Hypothetically, let's suppose that when Nintendo made the first Mario game, they didn't have enough memory for a long name for their player character, so they stuck with the short name "Mario". Asking for changing the Pokémon cries just because they were generated with older technology (I'm not necessarily saying that's your reason, but many other people cite that reason for wanting the cries to be changed) is like asking Nintendo to make Mario's name longer just because they now have the memory to do so.

July 24th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Change their cries? I hope you're asking for a simple "cleanup", not a radical change. More than 10 years after the Generation I and II Pokémon games were released, the Pokémon cries from the earlier generations have long since been able to define the Pokémon themselves.

Hypothetically, let's suppose that when Nintendo made the first Mario game, they didn't have enough memory for a long name for their player character, so they stuck with the short name "Mario". Asking for changing the Pokémon cries just because they were generated with older technology (I'm not necessarily saying that's your reason, but many other people cite that reason for wanting the cries to be changed) is like asking Nintendo to make Mario's name longer just because they now have the memory to do so.
No it's the fact that most of them share the same cry like Mew with Parasite I think it was...I want them to be unique :D

Kaminari
July 24th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Ehhh. Nah.
I like it classic and plus I think I would cringe hearing my voice. xD It would take me forever to be satisfied with a recording.
Plus, not all people pronounce the names correctly. xD

July 24th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Ehhh. Nah.
I like it classic and plus I think I would cringe hearing my voice. xD It would take me forever to be satisfied with a recording.
Plus, not all people pronounce the names correctly. xD
Yeah, i wasn't even satisfied with the Chatot recordings...

Lamb2
July 25th, 2010, 01:40 PM
I'd like to point out, when they started changing a bunch of stuff for the third generation, it wasn't well received. I think they are being cautious with the ways they do things now. I have to respect that.

Oh, yes, you are right. Nintendo probably is trying to deliver something big right now, but little by little, game by game.

PalkiaSpace
July 26th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Eww, no, can you picture the voice of a Hiker or A Pokenerd or a Poke Maniac? Pedophiles...

Anyway, xD, It probably won't be the best idea to completely change all the cries of the current pokemon and make new ones that say their names like in the anime. I mean, it would take up alot more space, and they probably would only get crappy VAs. Maybe only on important cut-scenes, like in Platinum when Cyrus finally summons Giratina and stuff, maybe have some good voice acting for Cyrus and the other people who talk then. Same with When Lugia/Ho-oh make their entance in HG/SS. Or maybe just when someone says like, "No!" or grunt at something.

Overall, I don't think it would be the best way to make a Pokemon game better.

Gardenia101
July 26th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Some pokemon already do, such as Clefairy.
But, as said in a few other threads, it's hard to insert the voices in multiple languages.
If they do insert a feature like that, trust me, it would be in Japanese

MKSSB
July 26th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Yeah... I think that Voice Acting would be nice, and that DS microphone idea is good...
I can't wait for B&W releases!!!!!

~MKSSB

July 26th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Well what about voice acting only for major characters?

Hiroshi Sotomura
July 27th, 2010, 03:55 AM
Yeah... I think that Voice Acting would be nice, and that DS microphone idea is good...
I can't wait for B&W releases!!!!!

~MKSSB
This isn't Nintendogs; if you think there will be some voice recognition engine, expect that they won't recognise 99% of the things you say. Voice commands in computers aren't even accurate enough yet, nor will you be "training" a Gym Leader to understand what you say.

If anything, they'd understand the basic "yes" or "no" more.
Well what about voice acting only for major characters?
Given how conservative the voice acting in any Nintendo game is, you'd expect that to be the case.

Cautious? They haven't rescinded one thing that they did from RSE. A lot of the mechanics introduced in there stuck with the entire franchise. You're only lucky that Diamond and Pearl weren't meant to be giant leaps forward.

chillj
August 1st, 2010, 06:08 PM
This isn't Nintendogs; if you think there will be some voice recognition engine, expect that they won't recognise 99% of the things you say. Voice commands in computers aren't even accurate enough yet, nor will you be "training" a Gym Leader to understand what you say.

If anything, they'd understand the basic "yes" or "no" more.

Not to argue with a mod/admin, but I didn't mean actually answering to characters. I meant trainer's saying: GO, INSERT POKEMON NAME HERE! or GET BACK! INSERT POKEMON NAME HERE! And in the beginning of the game, record basic words like: Yes, No, Maybe, I challenge you, I accept your challenge, I lost, I won, and after you catch/nickname a Pokemon: For example: Ditto, You could record: Go, Ditto! only after you catch it and if you nickname it, replace its name with nickname to make it more convenient.

Thingula
August 1st, 2010, 06:38 PM
They would need the voice actors from the anime do their part before releasing the games. :/ If they at least do that for Pikachu, I'll be fine :)

Eathrock
August 3rd, 2010, 05:39 AM
It's not a bad idea. It just wouldnt work out on the DS/other handheld game (and I wouldnt want it to. Itd get annoying). I really can see it being implemented on Console Games though.