PDA

View Full Version : HELP

PokemonOI
May 23rd, 2010, 11:46 AM
My windows xp will come on and will show the windows xp screen but then when it is done loading the screen just goes black, it wont even let me get on in safe mode. When I try to get on in safe mode it just hangs with a bunch of words. I really need to find a way to get on it because I have some really important files on it.

Can anyone help me?

Correction it goes completely blank after the dell loading screen

KAZillonaire
May 23rd, 2010, 01:06 PM
You crashed, I think. Do you have Limewire? It has a lot of viruses.

Bluerang1
May 23rd, 2010, 01:46 PM
I think it need resetting. Dell generally has issues. Maybe you should run the CD that came with it again, careful to choose "Fix without clearing files" or whatever it's called. That worked for me when I had an issue with it :) It was Vista though. Same thing :P

KAZillonaire
May 23rd, 2010, 02:10 PM
Wait, he was running Dell?

Zet
May 23rd, 2010, 06:17 PM
You crashed, I think. Do you have Limewire? It has a lot of viruses.
Limewire itself does not have viruses, but anything you might download from someone can have a virus

Wait, he was running Dell?
Yes, didn't you read the first post?

And it's normal for safe mode to show a bunch of words, it means that safe mode is loading.

ash_pikachu_98
May 25th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Anytime a PC is loaded into windows but has no icons or a task menu, the OS has failed to properly load explorer.exe. You are still able to utilize ctrl + alt + del. Do this to access the task manager and simply reopen explorer.exe by going to File -> New Task and then enter 'explorer' without the quotes. This will make your icons and task bar reappear within seconds.

This is a nifty trick that even some of the most PC savvy techies don't even know about. Is the cause of this problem almost every time. Often resource related... Try this and reply advising whether it worked or not.

Aaron40
May 25th, 2010, 12:33 AM
I need more infromation about your computer so I can help you

PkMnTrainer Yellow
May 25th, 2010, 05:49 AM
This is a nifty trick that even some of the most PC savvy techies don't even know about. Is the cause of this problem almost every time. Often resource related... Try this and reply advising whether it worked or not.

Pfft! PFFT! We do too!

It's just a deep dark secret we deliberately keep to make the average user's life harder. >_>;

Also, I would recommend reinstalling Windows XP WITHOUT reformatting the hard drive if the above quoted trick does not work. Reformatting is what erases your files, not reinstalling Windows XP. Essentially--...

No. Wait. You have Windows XP. Not Windows 7. Sorry. Your Operating System doesn't come with the required security features to perform a reinstall without a reformat. :nervous:

The closest thing you can try is inserting your XP disk and clicking Repair, though that never worked for me, personally.

Obsolete Operating System for the lose

My recommendation is to get to a techy and ask for one of those... internal hard-drive to external hard drive kits that lets you plug in a hard drive to a CPU to use it like a portable drive. This should let you recover files unless the Hard Drive is seriously damaged. After you have the files backed up on a drive of some sort of their own, you can proceed to reinstall XP / Reformat.

Warning: You will need a working computer to do this. Could be any computer though. And you'd need to be able to remove your hard-drive and put it back in after you're done. Make sure there's virus protection on that computer, preferably a Vista / Windows 7 computer because XP computers are no longer secure in comparison, and could easily fall prey to the same virus that killed your XP computer if you're not careful.

Zet
May 25th, 2010, 01:42 PM

It's common sense for any PC savvy techies to know about explorer.exe, otherwise they just wouldn't be PC savvy techies.

linkinpark187
May 25th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Actually, you can perform a reinstall of Windows XP without a format. After you'd selected which partition you want to install to, you get a few different options:

Format partition using NTFS (Quick)
Format partition using NTFS
Leave current system intact

What Windows XP will do is rename the old user profiles to something such as "Administrator.0001" or... something to that extent. This will probably be his/her best bet if that trick doesn't work (and hope and pray you don't have to do it every time, or I would definitely do a reinstall). :D

And I agree with PkMnTrainer_Yellow and Zet...you can't be that PC savvy if you don't know about the Ctrl+Alt+Del and run explorer.exe trick.

Gumball Watterson
May 25th, 2010, 02:46 PM
It goes blank after the dell loading screen...

Ermm... see if you can get into the BIOS config. I think you press delete or F8 on dell, it usually says so in the loading screen.

donavannj
May 25th, 2010, 07:51 PM

What kind of PC savvy techies have been talking to? Even some of the most un-savvy tech people that I have talked to know about this. And this rarely works with what the OP described. You actually have to get into Windows in order for what you described to be a fix, and the OP can't even get XP to load. :\

PokemonOI
June 4th, 2010, 06:11 PM
So I've been searchin high and low for my dell and XinXP cd's but nothing. is there a way to make these files bootable from a usb drive? to where instead of a cd when i put the usb stick in it comes up before or after the dell loading screen? because after the dell loads the screen is blank.

twocows
June 4th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Call Dell and ask them for a Windows XP reinstall disc. The cost is about $35.