PDA

View Full Version : Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

dragonite149
September 30th, 2011, 07:13 AM
You still like Seed Bbys, huh, Syd? No surprise, considering how much you liked them back then~

I guess I'll check out the charrie challenge, then :3

Enigma
October 15th, 2011, 10:08 PM
I'm alive. :3 I haven't been around in a while, but yeah. School. ;-; I just finished my Challoween challenge, so I suppose I should finish my Character challenge soon.

devilace372
October 24th, 2011, 04:52 AM
hey guys well this is an idea of a challenge and i wana know what you guys think of it

it is a challenge which consists of 6 different leagues:
leagues 1-5 are: 1- kanto, 2-johto, 3-hoenn, 4-sinnoh, and 5-unova
these five leagues will consist of you building a team with pokemon only from that region
e.g kanto team - blastoise, pidgeot, vileplume, raichu, arcanine and alakazam
johto team - typhlosion, tyranitar, politoed, sunflora, steelix and togetic
and so one for each region.
for the sixth region you can use any pokemon from any region in your team.

how this would work is by on your game your using e.g. pokemon black you would use the team from the league
your participating in say kanto them you can hack in or trade the pokemon for your team.
and you would battle and train up to the first gym leader beat him/her and then you would save your game
(don't carry on with the game)
as you would go onto wifi and battle a gym leader for the challenge (one of our gym leaders)
and then once you have beaten the gym leader you may continue on with your game until you have beaten the 2nd and 3rd
and so on, and beat our gym leaders.

the gym leaders for that region will only use on type for that gym
they will put up their team and the level on the challenge thread thats about it
also they can have 3 different typed teams of their choice from that region to use.
the battles would be as followed gym leaders 1- 4 3 vs 3 battles
gym leaders 5 - 7 4 vs 4 battles
gym leader 8 5 vs 5
elite four and champion 6 vs 6 battle

for gym leaders if you fail to beat them you can go back to the area before the gym leader battle in your game and train
(you CANNOT go further than the gym to train)

their pokemon will be similar levels to the gym leaders, elite four and champion from that region
also a prize would be given out for each person who beats a region.
and also people would be needed to be gym leaders, elite four and champions

sooo.. that's all i got soo far guys n girls so what you think?

Lezza
October 24th, 2011, 05:09 AM
Thats a pretty good idea.
Though i cant particicpate 'cause im doing Rivals challenge on white

devilace372
October 24th, 2011, 05:16 AM
just an idea atm, hoping that enough people will see it and think about putting it together (hopefully)

Lezza
October 24th, 2011, 05:57 AM
It would be really helpful if some other people joined Rivals Challenge,
So it's not just us 3

devilace372
October 24th, 2011, 06:05 AM
i'll have a look at the challenge just doing the random pokemon challenge atm

Lezza
October 24th, 2011, 06:10 AM
I'm also doing one with a fire mono.
I had an idea,
Why dont we have a challenge where you only use pokemon with a base stat total of 450> but you can have one poke that is 450<?

devilace372
October 24th, 2011, 06:34 AM
yeah that would be a good challenge, just any type or would you limit one type or more, something like that?

Lezza
October 24th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Or you could play along with other Members

devilace372
October 24th, 2011, 07:26 AM
yeah lol i take not a lot are doing that rivals challenge

Lezza
October 24th, 2011, 07:41 AM
No,
Its only Me, PhsycoJigglypuff and Yuki but it's really fun
So if you can join this challenge

devilace372
October 25th, 2011, 03:06 PM
dude that's not a lot but i'll do when i get chance to a little busy atm :/

Alli
October 25th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Uhhh, you guys realize you could have had that whole conversation via VM right? Anyway, I'm probably going to finish Challoween tonight. Then I think I won't be restarting Black for a long time. Going to leave it alone and use it as my transfer game for when I start working on the Pokedex in my Jap White (can't transfer from English to Jap, so Black will be the bridge between them). Then my English White can be my challenge cart. :3c Still need to make the emblem. ~_~

Perrie ✿
October 25th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I'm actually enjoying the Challoween challenge. :3c I thought that it would be super hard because I had Squirtle. Don't ask. :< But he's quite the powerhouse. :D

I need to limit the challenges I do, last time I just took a load and forget them all. ;;

Alli
October 25th, 2011, 04:10 PM
At least you're not doing the big motherload of challenges, and then completely the national dex afterwards. ~_~ After I finish Challoween, I'll trade half my team to my Japanese White, and then build a new team for post-game. More offense oriented, because this defensive team is really...yeah. lol

bwburke94
October 27th, 2011, 02:21 PM
I'm doing a BST < 500 run of Emerald, probably starting it Monday. I have everything planned out, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Articunown
October 31st, 2011, 03:45 AM
What about specifically coloured pokemon?
I know that they are generally coloured depending on their types, but if you did something like brown, you'd get a variety of types.
If you did a gen one game (say, leafgreen) that'd open you up to diglett, pidgey, eevee etc. You can't let them evolve out of that colour, either.
I know it's pretty average but it's the best i can do.
Perhaps one where you can only choose pokemon that would not look out of place in your home (not pertaining to size). e.g. rattata, pidgey but not pikachu, charmander. growlithe and others that are based off of dogs etc also wouldn't really look out of place.

Maybe a run where you can only use pokemon within a certain weight? Really light 'mons would make it tricky, whilst heavy would seriously limit your selection.

vaporeon7
October 31st, 2011, 03:50 AM
What about specifically coloured pokemon?
I know that they are generally coloured depending on their types, but if you did something like brown, you'd get a variety of types.
If you did a gen one game (say, leafgreen) that'd open you up to diglett, pidgey, eevee etc. You can't let them evolve out of that colour, either.
I know it's pretty average but it's the best i can do.
Perhaps one where you can only choose pokemon that would not look out of place in your home (not pertaining to size). e.g. rattata, pidgey but not pikachu, charmander. growlithe and others that are based off of dogs etc also wouldn't really look out of place.

Maybe a run where you can only use pokemon within a certain weight? Really light 'mons would make it tricky, whilst heavy would seriously limit your selection.

The colour one you mentioned is known as a mono-colour challenge. As for the size one, I quite like the idea, but you'd have to make it quite restricted to make it challenging.

Articunown
October 31st, 2011, 03:55 AM
Oh my mistake, sorry.
Yeah I figure it could either be really easy, really hard, or really boring :P what's the challoween challenge?

vaporeon7
October 31st, 2011, 04:01 AM
Oh my mistake, sorry.
Yeah I figure it could either be really easy, really hard, or really boring :P what's the challoween challenge?

It's an event challenge for a certain holiday (in this case, Halloween) that only last for a certain amount of time (this one ends like tomorrow). And if you finish it, you get an emblem.

November 2nd, 2011, 08:32 PM
I'm back oh whatever nobody remembers me.

Meh. Might as well as tell people I'm doing a Steel Monotype on Ruby Destiny: Reign of Legends, and a Wailord Solo Run on FireRed.

Not updating because it's annoying to.

Okay, suggest a challenge for me to do on Light Platinum and I'll do it.

Bidoof
November 3rd, 2011, 04:02 PM
Eevee Challenge where everyone needs to win with 6 Eevee Evolutions :3

3DThinker
November 3rd, 2011, 04:20 PM
THis was done actually,died due to lack of many interested people,though

Alli
November 3rd, 2011, 06:04 PM
Yeah. Since there's only 7 eeveelutions, and then Eevee itself, there wasn't much diversity in teams compared to other challengers. I think that ultimately brought its end.

I remember you, 649. :) Try the Christian Challenge. It needs more challengers.

November 3rd, 2011, 07:01 PM
Oh, haha. I remember seeing that on macromeme.

bizebest
November 9th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Hi,
I didn't find a more suited place so I'll post here :

I'm going to restart my Leaf Green for some TM's and a good Nature/IV Zapdos, so I thought I might as well do a challenge.
Do any of you have a good FR/LG challenge to recommend? (not too brutal)

Darksualc
November 9th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Hi,

I'm going to restart my Leaf Green for some TM's and a good Nature/IV Zapdos, so I thought I might as well do a challenge.

How about a monotype challenge? or a Solo challenge.

They are somewhat easy so you should be fine.

myrrhman
November 10th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Hi,

I'd definitely recommend the Monotype. Its definitely my favorite challenge, and due to the popularity of the thread, I'd be willing to guess its lots of other peoples' favorite as well. There's a reason for that. Challenges just don't get better than that one.

.: Symbiosis :.
November 10th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Hi,

As said before, Monotype or SoloRuns would work,but in neither of them you can use legends ...

Alli
November 10th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Or a random challenge. Challenges where I don't really get to pick my Pokemon, or have only a little say in what I can use, are my favorites, because I end up getting to use Pokemon I wouldn't use normally. Plus I like to see how well I adapt. I've had some weird teams because of the random challenge, lol.

myrrhman
November 11th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Or a random challenge. Challenges where I don't really get to pick my Pokemon, or have only a little say in what I can use, are my favorites, because I end up getting to use Pokemon I wouldn't use normally. Plus I like to see how well I adapt. I've had some weird teams because of the random challenge, lol.
I can't do the random challenge. I always seem to forget a couple of the moves and stuff I need to use. Also, I don't like training more than 3 Pokemon, so I can't do challenges that require full teams and the such. I'd be okay with people selecting random pokemon for me to solo, but I'm planning on covering all of them, so it seems like it'd be easier if I just went in order so I can keep track of them easily. GAHHHHHHH challenges are hard.

Alli
November 12th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I'm the opposite. Gotta have a full team if possible. That in miiiiind...I have something else planned for this section soon. :) Yes, it's an event. Yes we just had one. But trust me, it'll fit well. Hopefully more people will get the emblem this time around. Lol

Pixel!
November 12th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I'm not very good with full teams.
I have crowd-o-phobia ...
But yay for an event!

myrrhman
November 13th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I don't even know what happened to me. Back in the day I used to be great at keeping all my pokemon even leveled. But now its just like "why would I train this Gloom when I can just keep leveling my Nidoking?

vaporeon7
November 14th, 2011, 01:59 AM
I'm still an even level freak. Doesn't matter what, that have to be the same level! Also most of my Nuzlocke Pokemon died to Flannery's Torkoal's Overheat. :(

Pixel!
November 14th, 2011, 02:10 AM
That's sad.
I'm neutral about it.
Since I like using Wobbuffett,at leas t he have to be underleveled

November 20th, 2011, 08:17 PM
So hey, guess what.

I'm leading a rebellion against myrrhman.

We will overthrow that tyrannical "king of challenges" and we will make him weep. There shall be none glorious than the iron fist of the True King of Challenges, 649. And of course, those that serve under me. So, I say to this beautiful community of pokemon fans, or "poke-community" as you all seem to have dubbed yourself, I will not stand against this imperial might. I will not cower. I will persevere.

If you are interested in joining this rebellion, go to the monotype challenge thread and complete all the monotypes of the first generation.

It's time to shake this forum up.

It's time to make a big bang.

It's time...

TO ROCK.

Who's with me!

jdthebud
November 20th, 2011, 09:15 PM
So hey, guess what.

We will overthrow that tyrannical "king of challenges" and we will make him weep. There shall be none glorious than the iron fist of the True King of Challenges, 649. And of course, those that serve under me. So, I say to this beautiful community of pokemon fans, or "poke-community" as you all seem to have dubbed yourself, I will not stand against this imperial might. I will not cower. I will persevere.

If you are interested in joining this rebellion, go to the monotype challenge thread and complete all the monotypes of the first generation.

It's time...

TO ROCK.

Who's with me!
Actually, I've completed a lot more monotypes than Myrrhman. I did do a couple with the remakes (Flying and Water on LeafGreen, Water on HeartGold) though. But I have completed monotypes for every type through Sinnoh, and quite a few through Unova, Just look at my sig, dude.

mondays suck
November 21st, 2011, 12:13 PM
You're all assuming something that's not even necessarily true in the first place - haven't you seen the "Best Challenger" section from last year's (=the most recent) member of the year election results yet? http://www.wassersch.eu/Blog/Blog/SmileyGrinsStatic.gif

That aside, the on the rare occassion that I actually dig out one of the games and play, I usually can't resist even levels either when using a full team - but when using a lower number of Pokemon, I tend to just use things as it fits.

myrrhman
November 21st, 2011, 05:39 PM
So hey, guess what.

It's time...

TO ROCK.

Who's with me!
Oh its on. Nobody can overthrow me. NOBODY
Actually, I've completed a lot more monotypes than Myrrhman. I did do a couple with the remakes (Flying and Water on LeafGreen, Water on HeartGold) though. But I have completed monotypes for every type through Sinnoh, and quite a few through Unova, Just look at my sig, dude.
You do have a point. How many have you completed overall though? Iirc, lat time we checked, we were around the same amount total (i'm assuming that means you've done a lot more than me now, because I've been busy with other games/school/tv/being lazy.)
You're all assuming something that's not even necessarily true in the first place - haven't you seen the "Best Challenger" section from last year's (=the most recent) member of the year election results yet? http://www.wassersch.eu/Blog/Blog/SmileyGrinsStatic.gif

That aside, the on the rare occassion that I actually dig out one of the games and play, I usually can't resist even levels either when using a full team - but when using a lower number of Pokemon, I tend to just use things as it fits.

I've grown to accept the fact that the poll was rigged. :P

Alli
November 21st, 2011, 05:59 PM
All this talk makes me wanna change my usertitle back to "Hero of Challenges" haha. Which I am! I save us from spam, bad challenges, idiots, trolls, more bad challenges, and duplicate threads! :D But no really, some challenges are just bad. lol

myrrhman
November 21st, 2011, 11:23 PM
All this talk makes me wanna change my usertitle back to "Hero of Challenges" haha. Which I am! I save us from spam, bad challenges, idiots, trolls, more bad challenges, and duplicate threads! :D But no really, some challenges are just bad. lol
Yeah, syd, you really are our hero. Don't know how you manage.

In other news, pretty sure this is a very wrongly place to put this, but I have a Pokemon related challenge for us all. More of a community project, really. I've tried this a couple of times, but I can't do it on my own, and my friends sort of suck. I want to recreate a scaled version of the Pokemon universe in Minecraft (scaled to 1 tile = 2 minecraft blocks). I have all the basics worked out, it just takes -forever- to do. I've started twice, each with different friends, and both times my friends just lost interest. The first time, we tried starting at Indigo Plateau, and worked backwards. We made it to the reception gate (excluding the interior of Victory Road), and the second time, we were around water, so we started at Cinnibar Island and worked towards Pallet Town. We actually made it all the way to Viridian City before he quit.

So yeah, I know how it should be done, I know how to do it, I just can't work on the whole thing by myself. Does anyone have minecraft? Would anyone be interested in this?

Celestial Daze
November 22nd, 2011, 12:34 AM
I wish I had Minecraft to help ... :c
And ... Syd ..., I was looking at some earlier posts,and you said you had an event planned for this section.Is this still on? Because soon it will be December and you'll probably do a Christmas one ...

Alli
November 22nd, 2011, 08:18 AM
Yeah, it's still on. lol It hasn't been posted yet though. Don't worry, I keep my word when I say there's an event soon. Like. So soon, you should prepare games of the red, green, and/or white variety.

/doesn't play Minecraft, cannot help, is bad at building anyway, would die, needs food now

11wildy
November 22nd, 2011, 10:17 AM
Does Ruby count? :3
Else I want Black or Diamond :x
Better be quick with posting, I wanna play!! :P

Celestial Daze
November 22nd, 2011, 10:29 AM
I guess these would work:

Red
Silver(Very near White)
Crystal(some can be white)
Ruby
FireRed
SoulSilver
White

That's how I see it :)

Lezza
November 22nd, 2011, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I christmas one is most likely. Started on the 25th Nov since thats a month before christmas

jdthebud
November 22nd, 2011, 10:50 AM
I guess these would work:

Red
Silver(Very near White)
Crystal(some can be white)
Ruby
FireRed
SoulSilver
White

That's how I see it :)
You forgot Emerald! Maybe Pearl/Diamond as well, since those can also be white/clear.

Although I think she'll go for the actual game colors...

Hmm, I wonder what the actual challenge will be...

myrrhman
November 22nd, 2011, 02:28 PM
I always thought Gold of more of a Christmas color than Silver. Gold star and whatnot.

I'd go:
Red/Yellow
Gold
Ruby/Emerald
FireRed/LeafGreen
Diamond
HeartGold
White

Celestial Daze
November 23rd, 2011, 03:45 PM
You forgot Emerald! Maybe Pearl/Diamond as well, since those can also be white/clear.

Although I think she'll go for the actual game colors...

Hmm, I wonder what the actual challenge will be...

1. I have ceased to try to understand the complexity of Sydian's gender but I think "she's" a he ...

2. I wonder too ... Just hope it's awesome ^_^

myrrhman
November 29th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Wooo!!! I finally had some free time, so I went through all the challenges that I've ever done, and all the ones that I want to do. I compiled them into a nice little list too!

According to my calculations, I have completed 56 Monotype Challenges, 20 Solo Challenges on Red/Blue, and 26 other random challenges. Unfortunately, they won't all fit in a signiture, so I'm just storing them on my personal notepad. That means, I have finished a total of 102 Challenges!

jdthebud
November 29th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Wooo!!! I finally had some free time, so I went through all the challenges that I've ever done, and all the ones that I want to do. I compiled them into a nice little list too!

According to my calculations, I have completed 56 Monotype Challenges, 20 Solo Challenges on Red/Blue, and 26 other random challenges. Unfortunately, they won't all fit in a signiture, so I'm just storing them on my personal notepad. That means, I have finished a total of 102 Challenges!
hmmm, that is a lot. Maybe I should count mine too.

76 Monotypes, 13 Solos, 2 Favorites, 1 Ones that Got Away, 4 Username, 4 Trio-Species, 1 Duo, 1 Special Pairs, 1 Beginning Letter (N), 1 Dual-Type, 2 Pokebros, and 4 event challenges...I'm prolly missing a couple other ones, this is just off the top of my head.

Well, counting those, I have done...110 challenges! Hehe Myrrhman. Although you are doing good with those RBY solos, so you'll prolly overtake me soon.

I'm almost done with Dark type on Black, though. Just waiting till Winter so I can get the Substitute TM (stupid snow...) for Scrafty (Focus Punch FTW!).

myrrhman
November 29th, 2011, 06:58 PM
hmmm, that is a lot. Maybe I should count mine too.

76 Monotypes, 13 Solos, 2 Favorites, 1 Ones that Got Away, 4 Username, 4 Trio-Species, 1 Duo, 1 Special Pairs, 1 Beginning Letter (N), and 4 event challenges...I'm prolly missing a couple other ones, this is just off the top of my head.

Well, counting those, I have done...107 challenges! Hehe Myrrhman. Although you are doing good with those RBY solos, so you'll prolly overtake me soon.

I'm almost done with Dark type on Black, though. Just waiting till Winter so I can get the Substitute TM (stupid snow...) for Scrafty (Focus Punch FTW!).
I will have you yet!

And now that Winter break is starting (today was the last day of classes, one week of finals now!), I'll be sure to hit the challenges hard this month. I REALLY need to finish up the monotypes. Just have a little over half of the 4th gen ones and all 17 of the 5th. I still haven't bothered looking for a good ROM for B/W.

Alli
December 1st, 2011, 12:10 PM
I could never count the challenges I've done. I did so many as a kid and I do a lot now, and it'd just take too long. I doubt it's over a hundred, but if I had to estimate, it's probably around 50 or 60. I can barely keep track of what I've even done since the Challenge forum showed up, lol. And you think that would help me!

1. I have ceased to try to understand the complexity of Sydian's gender but I think "she's" a he ...

I feel so popular. People still contemplate my gender, haha. Perhaps I should go back to the theme I was using this time last year. It had my picture in it. :P

Oh, and on the subject of the games I chose for the event, I went for the traditional red, green, and white, if you didn't already figure that out haha. I know Gold is a Christmas color, but eh, I just didn't see it fitting. Pearl makes me think of pink, Crystal makes me think of blue, Platinum makes me think of gray, so that's why those aren't in there, event though the actual metals/whatever would suffice for the color white. But eh. And I know Silver isn't White, but a gen II game had to fit in there somehow, right?!

myrrhman
December 1st, 2011, 03:38 PM
I could never count the challenges I've done. I did so many as a kid and I do a lot now, and it'd just take too long. I doubt it's over a hundred, but if I had to estimate, it's probably around 50 or 60. I can barely keep track of what I've even done since the Challenge forum showed up, lol. And you think that would help me!

I feel so popular. People still contemplate my gender, haha. Perhaps I should go back to the theme I was using this time last year. It had my picture in it. :P
Lucky me, other than monotypes and the such, I pretty much started doing challenges when the challenge forum came into existence. So, I backtracked to the very beginning of the forum, and looked at every thread to see if i'd done it yet (or if I would like to do it, in which case I hyperlinked it in my sig, so i can go back and remember what it was all about.)

And to be fair, last year, you had both a girl AND a boy picture, both in the same kind of format. I know because I was wondering which you were riiiiight before that happened. Lucky me, I drove down to your school and found you, so now I know.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSAV3r3-oYyGvb5-GTdKN8f6WYTQgehRP4Vkplz_964KA7GKfwOPiYr9CUFw
You're not safe

Palladium
December 2nd, 2011, 11:49 AM
LOL
But, nice name change for the thread
I'm curious to see the emblem ^_^

myrrhman
December 2nd, 2011, 01:54 PM
Wow.

PC was being slow today, so I thought "I know! I'll go register on another pokemon forum! Then, I can see if they have any new challenges that I could try out/bring back to this forum!

I proceed to register on the bulbapedia forums. Not a challenge in sight. I didn't try THAT hard to find them, but they weren't in any obvious place.

Registered on serebii's forum. Found the challenges! This is their setup. Every generation has 4 challenges. The first is a monotype (damn straight it is.), the second is a scramble, the third is a Nuzlocke, and the fourth is one called "hit me with your best shot", which is essentially where all the other challenges go. Psssssssssh what lameos.

In summary, PC is the best challenge forum and will ALWAYS be the best challenge forum!!! GO PC!

Don't mean to offend anyone if they prefer a different forum, just stating my opinion.

Alli
December 2nd, 2011, 03:04 PM
Yeah Myrrh, I saw Serebii's Challenge forum once and lol'd. Means a lot that you'd say that about PC's Challenge forum though. :')

And to be fair, last year, you had both a girl AND a boy picture, both in the same kind of format. I know because I was wondering which you were riiiiight before that happened. Lucky me, I drove down to your school and found you, so now I know.

Oh yeah! I was using a Selena Gomez avatar and then my pic in the sig, lol. And if you came to my school, you should have said hi. When did you come down here anyway? ...Why would you want to...other than to see, you know, the amazing Marching Southerners. -cough-

myrrhman
December 2nd, 2011, 04:20 PM
Yeah Myrrh, I saw Serebii's Challenge forum once and lol'd. Means a lot that you'd say that about PC's Challenge forum though. :')

Oh yeah! I was using a Selena Gomez avatar and then my pic in the sig, lol. And if you came to my school, you should have said hi. When did you come down here anyway? ...Why would you want to...other than to see, you know, the amazing Marching Southerners. -cough-
... Really? I can't believe I didn't know what Selena Gomez looked like back then. And I didn't actually come, I get quite a heavy dose of the Pride of the Southland band here at UT.

jdthebud
December 3rd, 2011, 01:38 AM
Hey, just a quiet post to say, please vote for me as the Best Challenger in Member of the Year thread. The other members nominated are mondays suck (again) and Sooyun (where's myrrhman...).

linky link link (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=268166)

Sydian, could I cast a vote for myrrhman if I wanted to? I feel like he should have been nominated... read the rules, it's sad.

myrrhman
December 4th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I thought of an idea.

For all the super popular challenges (Monotype, Solo, Scramble, Nuzlocke, really any challenge that seems to get revived a whole bunch), we should make a generic account called like 'PC Challenge Forum' or something, and let a few of the challenge regulars all have the password for it. That way, it would reduce the amount of complaining about lack of updating/threads won't lose interest because the OP never updates.

jdthebud
December 4th, 2011, 11:48 PM
I thought of an idea.

For all the super popular challenges (Monotype, Solo, Scramble, Nuzlocke, really any challenge that seems to get revived a whole bunch), we should make a generic account called like 'PC Challenge Forum' or something, and let a few of the challenge regulars all have the password for it. That way, it would reduce the amount of complaining about lack of updating/threads won't lose interest because the OP never updates.

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. Sydian, your input please.

December 5th, 2011, 02:02 AM
Oh my god you guys, Blaze Black/Volt White is amazing.

Increased difficulty levels + all 649 pokemon + a huge variety of pokemon early on makes for the best challenge game ever.

I thoroughly recommend this hack to anybody who is bored of easy challenges.

EDIT: Also, I fully support the Challenges Account thing. As long as people don't abuse it (I dunno why they would though).

mondays suck
December 5th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Hey, just a quiet post to say, please vote for me as the Best Challenger in Member of the Year thread. The other members nominated are mondays suck (again) and Sooyun (where's myrrhman...).

linky link link (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=268166)

Sydian, could I cast a vote for myrrhman if I wanted to? I feel like he should have been nominated... read the rules, it's sad.

I find it absolutely hilarious I have been nominated again in that category and am actually being voted for. Absolutely hilarious. http://www.wassersch.eu/Blog/Blog/SmileyGrinsStatic.gif

Now, I would vote in MOTY if that whole thing wouldn't be looking like it requires quite an amount of effort, so I probably am not going to bother - laziness shall prevail!

Palladium
December 5th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Well, today is Monday and it sucks
I agree that mhyrrman should be in MotY
Anyways, I support PC Challenge Account, or SydianBot or whatever; I just think only the most regulars should have the password though

myrrhman
December 5th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Oh my god you guys, Blaze Black/Volt White is amazing.

Increased difficulty levels + all 649 pokemon + a huge variety of pokemon early on makes for the best challenge game ever.

I thoroughly recommend this hack to anybody who is bored of easy challenges.

EDIT: Also, I fully support the Challenges Account thing. As long as people don't abuse it (I dunno why they would though).
I will definitely check this out. But I hate B/W, so Pooie.

As for the Challenge Account, I personally would rather have myrrhman inputting words of wisdom all over the forum, I really don't see any need for the challenge bot to NOT have very, very few posts, mainly thread starters, with occasional answers to people's questions if the bot sees someone asked a question and is logged in as the bot.

I find it absolutely hilarious I have been nominated again in that category and am actually being voted for. Absolutely hilarious. http://www.wassersch.eu/Blog/Blog/SmileyGrinsStatic.gif

Now, I would vote in MOTY if that whole thing wouldn't be looking like it requires quite an amount of effort, so I probably am not going to bother - laziness shall prevail!
Yeah, that struck me as sort of odd, too. I haven't seen you around the challenge forum like at all this year.

I would vote too, but I agree, its soooooooo much work.

Alli
December 5th, 2011, 10:23 AM
MotY sucks this year. I'm going to be honest, picking three people as the Best Challenger nominees just...sucked. There are more than three deserving people, and I seriously hate the entire nomination system this year. That's all I'm going to say on that though. And I tried to avoid nominating people that placed in top three last year, but I think I ****ed that up cause mondays suck won it last year? I cannot for the life of me remember. So just don't vote for him!! lol

It sounds like one of those things good on paper, but in practice, I don't know. I don't really advise a bunch of people sharing the same account. Someone could go crazy and spam porn or something and since everyone's IPs would be attached to that account, your mains could get in trouble and banned as well. I mean, it's unlikely, but I have seen some good members get hacked and banned because of what the hacker posted. Plus that's a lot of threads to restart.

SydianBot lmao. I'd punch it for trying to steal my name. That's obviously what it's doing! Imposter.

There is a way, however, to change the OP to become someone else's post I think. Larry did it in a thread once, and I think Alternative has done it. Has to do with merging. I could try that and see if it works? But first I'd need to know who wants to take charge of which challenge. Or there's the alternative of me updating all those chal-- lol no thanks that's too many. :(

wicketman8
December 9th, 2011, 03:41 PM
OK I have an idea for a Team Plasma Run. I want to get some help on it and people say this is the place. Right now the idea is that
1.You may look for any pokemon species that you want but may not look for a certain gender or a shiny/pokerus.
2.You must give human names to all pokemon.
3.There will be a point system where if a pokemon loses all of it's 'liberation points' it must be released or set in a released box FOREVER!
The point system isn't quite figured out yet so i'm looking for someone to help. PM me if your intrested and I'll choose one person to help out. I would choose more but... it would be hard to not disagree with most stuff.
Edit: You don't need Black or White to do this. It is just a challenge. You can do it on BLue if you want.

11wildy
December 10th, 2011, 03:04 AM
Okay, so I have to solo Wattsons magneton with a Wingull. How am I going to do this? Any ideas?

Darksualc
December 10th, 2011, 04:06 AM
Train Wingull to lvl 35 or something and OHKO Magneton with Water Gun or something. Remember Magneton doesn't resist watertypes

11wildy
December 10th, 2011, 05:21 AM
I know it's neutral to water, but Water gun is weak and Magneton is fully evolved already, also it'll take a long while to train to such an high level. What are the exact Mud sport mechanics? Does it stay when you switch out or get killed?

Alternative
December 10th, 2011, 06:15 AM
There is a way, however, to change the OP to become someone else's post I think. Larry did it in a thread once, and I think Alternative has done it. Has to do with merging. I could try that and see if it works? But first I'd need to know who wants to take charge of which challenge. Or there's the alternative of me updating all those chal-- lol no thanks that's too many. :(
It's possible, but it involved whoever wants to take over it making a lul post. Also please don't be Andy and have no idea what a lul post is. XD

I actually came here thinking it was the christmas challenge thread, but I was msitaken. I came here also to update a nuzlocke which I will do soon since I started one again and yeah. BLAAHQHQHQHQDIUGWFKJ

Ignore me, please. :3

myrrhman
December 10th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I know it's neutral to water, but Water gun is weak and Magneton is fully evolved already, also it'll take a long while to train to such an high level. What are the exact Mud sport mechanics? Does it stay when you switch out or get killed?
Better hope you get good luck with Supersonic.

Luigi-San
December 10th, 2011, 01:26 PM
SydianBot lmao. I'd punch it for trying to steal my name. That's obviously what it's doing! Imposter.

Maybe it should be called Sydborg instead. :P

Mr. X
December 12th, 2011, 04:46 AM
I've been thinking occasionally about a letters challenge.

Right now, I'm thinking about 4 different types. (Extreme) Regular Letters, Single Letters, Reverse Letters, or (Extreme) Words.

Basically, with this you'd get a random set of 6 letters. You'd then pick out your pokemon based on them. You'd pick a pokemon who's name starts with that letter. Single letters is you pick one letter and only pick from that Pokemon with that starting letter. Reverse is... Well, I'm not so sure about that one. Would be to hard, since in this case you'd only be able to pick from ones who name ENDS with a picked letter. Words is a play on Letters. Basically, you pick letters that form a word.

For Words you'd be limited to however many letters is in the word. If its 4 letters, then 4 pokemon. 5, 5 pokemon. HM slaves wouldn't be allowed for any type of challenge though.

Extreme would be slightly different. Basically, you pick the first Pokemon that starts with a selected letter.

myrrhman
December 12th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I've been thinking occasionally about a letters challenge.

Right now, I'm thinking about 4 different types. (Extreme) Regular Letters, Single Letters, Reverse Letters, or (Extreme) Words.

Basically, with this you'd get a random set of 6 letters. You'd then pick out your pokemon based on them. You'd pick a pokemon who's name starts with that letter. Single letters is you pick one letter and only pick from that Pokemon with that starting letter. Reverse is... Well, I'm not so sure about that one. Would be to hard, since in this case you'd only be able to pick from ones who name ENDS with a picked letter. Words is a play on Letters. Basically, you pick letters that form a word.

For Words you'd be limited to however many letters is in the word. If its 4 letters, then 4 pokemon. 5, 5 pokemon. HM slaves wouldn't be allowed for any type of challenge though.

Extreme would be slightly different. Basically, you pick the first Pokemon that starts with a selected letter.
Could be cool. I'd take out the no HM slave rule, though. There are always a couple instances where people don't have the ability to beat the game because they don't have anyone that can learn a certain HM. I'd limit it to one, though.

11wildy
December 13th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I just arrived at Slateport city, and I need to catch an Elektrike this challenge. Shall I catch it here, or later at route 118? What would u suggest and why?

myrrhman
December 13th, 2011, 11:30 AM
What challenge are you doing? Route 118 is quite a ways away; you have to get 5 badges before you can get there. It also depends on how diverse your team is, how many Pokemon you have, and what levels you're planning on training them to. The more Pokemon you have, the easier it would be to hold off until 118 to get Electrike (or even just catch a Manectric). If you only have like 2 Pokemon for the challenge so far, or your Pokemon are all about even levels with the trainer/wild Pokemon, I would probably just catch it on 110. Also, what game are you playing on? If you're doing Sapphire, you might want some Electric power to counter Team Aqua's Water Pokemon (and Zubats). On Route 110, you catch Electrike's at 12 or 13, and it learns its first Electric Attack (spark) at 20. Or beat Wattson and get Shock Wave.

I would probably just catch it now. You don't HAVE to use it if you end up not liking its flow with your team or its too weak to compete or something like that. In that case, you just wasted like 1 or 2 balls, which isn't much of a loss at all. Then, you can catch it later on 118 and see if it suits you better.

Alli
December 13th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Get it now. Get some EVs on it so that you don't have to worry about a weaker party member later in the game, cause by the time you get to Route 118, you'll be way ahead in terms of level, so why play catch up with Electrike then when you can go ahead and get it now?

myrrhman
December 13th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Get it now. Get some EVs on it so that you don't have to worry about a weaker party member later in the game, cause by the time you get to Route 118, you'll be way ahead in terms of level, so why play catch up with Electrike then when you can go ahead and get it now?
Sydian, How could you? Catching a Pokemon and worrying about its EVs? You should be ashamed. I don't think I've ever worried about EV's (besides that one time that I wanted to try competitive battling, and it was so stupid that I quit after 1 Pokemon.

Catching it later just means that the rest of your team will be that much higher, and can help you train him. Don't catch him til you need him.

Also, I'm almost to 1,500! Gotta make it an epic post. What should I do for it?

11wildy
December 13th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Well my 2 main pokemon are slightly underleveled, I have to train up an Oddish right now as well. Also it's weak, having Tackle as it's only move. Besides, I'm playing Ruby, so no team aqua. I'm doing a scramble challenge btw :p. My assigned team is Oddish, Mightyena, Pelipper (who has to solo wattsons Magneton -.-), Ninetales, Spinda and Manectric. I am not scared of getting ahead in level a lot, since I'll be catching Spinda before Manectric as well. I might be slightly higher, but that can be grinded later too, WITH Spark, making it faster :)

So yeah, thanks for the help!

Palladium
December 13th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Mhyrrman, do a Victini Solo Run and post the "I've finished post" as your 1500th
I can't believe I still haven't beaten one gym on Syddy Claus, I must work on that!

myrrhman
December 13th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Mhyrrman, do a Victini Solo Run and post the "I've finished post" as your 1500th
I can't believe I still haven't beaten one gym on Syddy Claus, I must work on that!
I don't do B/W because I still haven't bothered finding a working ROM, but I'll do Celebi/Mew/Jirachi!

vaporeon7
December 14th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Sydian, How could you? Catching a Pokemon and worrying about its EVs? You should be ashamed. I don't think I've ever worried about EV's (besides that one time that I wanted to try competitive battling, and it was so stupid that I quit after 1 Pokemon.

Catching it later just means that the rest of your team will be that much higher, and can help you train him. Don't catch him til you need him.

Also, I'm almost to 1,500! Gotta make it an epic post. What should I do for it?

I don't think Syd is worried about specific EVs. Just any so that it has higher stats.

Well my 2 main pokemon are slightly underleveled

You don't know underlevelled until you do a challenge that involves time. GT8 solo...

I also have the goal of finishing my Hall of Fame Challenge by the end of the year.

Palladium
December 15th, 2011, 05:29 AM
Mhrr then do Mew,
Celebi for 3k
Jirachi for 4.5k
Manaphy for 6k
And Victini for 7.5k ^_^

As or EV, I never really done it and never had major problems

Enigma
December 17th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I'm alive

I have a ton of challenges to catch up on due to my absence... ;_; And I seriously want to finish my 151 solos. *determination*

Ciax
December 17th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Good luck on the solo challenges, is it a contest between you and myrrhman to see who wins first? I've always wanted to do all the monotypes for each generation but that is far away. I've done about 6 :)

Enigma
December 17th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I believe I started the whole 151 solo thing first, but it's not a race. I think myrrhman is only doing the fully evolved pokemon, while I'm doing all 151, even the not fully evolved ones. x3

myrrhman
December 17th, 2011, 11:15 PM
I believe I started the whole 151 solo thing first, but it's not a race. I think myrrhman is only doing the fully evolved pokemon, while I'm doing all 151, even the not fully evolved ones. x3
Yep, Inferno's right. I've done all the monotypes for RBY, GSC, and RSE, as well as about half of DPPt, and now I'm moving on to Solos. But, I play at 5000% speed, so I can't really do the unevolved ones, because I would forget to hit the B button SO many times. Also I don't really see what the big difference between doing a Bulbasaur solo and an Ivysaur solo is. Especially if you do Bulbasaur first, because they learn the same moves and everything, its just that Ivysaur's better. So why bother?

I did Starmie and Lapras solos (they're two of my favorite RBY Pokemon) a long time ago, and now I'm going back and finishing all the rest. I'm going in order and I'm on Venomoth (I'm pretty sure that's where I am). I think that's like 21 or something. Its in my sig.

Totaldile
December 18th, 2011, 01:12 AM
You can only use pokemon whose names begin with the same leter as your name :).

Enigma
December 18th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Yep, Inferno's right. I've done all the monotypes for RBY, GSC, and RSE, as well as about half of DPPt, and now I'm moving on to Solos. But, I play at 5000% speed, so I can't really do the unevolved ones, because I would forget to hit the B button SO many times. Also I don't really see what the big difference between doing a Bulbasaur solo and an Ivysaur solo is. Especially if you do Bulbasaur first, because they learn the same moves and everything, its just that Ivysaur's better. So why bother?

I was thinking about only doing the fully evolved ones, but I'm a completionist, so it would bother me if I didn't do all of them. I think I'll run through the Christmas challenge, then start some solos again.

XxTOOLxX
December 19th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Ok so I have a challenge idea and I've done lots of research in the challenges forums and some on here to make sure that it hasn't already been done, and I will be able to participate in the challenge I just would like some feedback for some constructive criticism and such before I submit it. Ok so what I want to do is make a challenge where you can pick your entire team (it can be themed, favorites, or whatever peaks your interest.), and if you want you can make it so the person after you picks two of your Pokemon for added difficulty (most likely using the random Pokemon generator used in another challenge). You would be able to hack them in at low levels or trade an egg to your game or rom for the challenge. (just make sure you have at least three of them before you finish you're first gym battle.) After every two gym leaders you defeat you must release your highest level Pokemon and you may not catch him/her again (this is the main part of the challenge and has slight similarities with the N's challenge, Nuzcloke challenge, and the Pokebros Challenge.) This will mean if you want to grind your Pokemon you better hope that your either grinding all your Pokemon or that it is a Pokemon you don't mind losing. I have more to it to make it more lenient or more challenging, but for it being just an idea (that (after some polishing) I hope to submit/request to make a challenge) this message is becoming very long, and as bad of a habit as I make of making long messages I hate it >.<... Soooo if anyone ends up taking this idea and submitting it before I get a chance to then I want partial credit for the idea... nothing big just saying that "a loser helped in the making of this challenge"... literally I don't even request you put my name just saying that is enough lol xP... and ummm I've done a great deal of looking over past challenges and such, but if it is to much like other challenges posted already then I'm sorry.

11wildy
December 19th, 2011, 06:51 AM
So basically, you get to chose 6 pokemon and the user posting next gives you 2 more. Meaning you have 8 pokemon to train, which is imo a lot, especially in the beginning. Apart from that, I like the idea. You might just have to release a pokemon you need, making things interesting. After those 8 gyms you'd have 4 pokemon left, you could make an optional rule of not using the highest leveled pokemon after 2 of the elite four too, making you end up with 2 pokemon for the champion. Or a team could consist of 6 in total and make you have 2 left for the whole Elite four. Although I think it's not the greatest idea to pick 6 pokemon yourself and let somebody else pick 2 other, I probably would like to pick all pokemon myself.

Yeah, just what I'm thinking about it :)

XxTOOLxX
December 19th, 2011, 09:09 AM
So basically, you get to chose 6 pokemon and the user posting next gives you 2 more. Meaning you have 8 pokemon to train, which is imo a lot, especially in the beginning. Apart from that, I like the idea. You might just have to release a pokemon you need, making things interesting. After those 8 gyms you'd have 4 pokemon left, you could make an optional rule of not using the highest leveled pokemon after 2 of the elite four too, making you end up with 2 pokemon for the champion. Or a team could consist of 6 in total and make you have 2 left for the whole Elite four. Although I think it's not the greatest idea to pick 6 pokemon yourself and let somebody else pick 2 other, I probably would like to pick all pokemon myself.

Yeah, just what I'm thinking about it :)

0.0... No that isn't exactly what I meant... It was an optional requirement: For people who wanted it to be a little more difficult they could decide to just pick 4 pokemon and then they could ask for the people after them to randomly pick the other two... That would be optional not mandatory =)... But thanks for the feedback, and I like your idea of making sure they don't use their strongest for the last of the elite four... I was thinking of making another optional (not mandatory) rule for those who want to make it so when they go into a rival/gym match they must use their lowest level Pokemon (and if it dies go to the second lowest level Pokemon)... But yea you would be allowed to pick all the pokemon yourself if you want that would just be for those who want for some of the people who would like to have a chance at making the challenge harder for themselves lol xP... But seriously though thanks for the feedback =)

11wildy
December 19th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Well yeah, that seems okay, though I don't think you should do the rule yuo have to send out the lowest leveled first, since I don't think that would be fun. I think you should ask Sydian for approval of the challenge and then make a thread for it? :D And you're welcome for the feedback :)

XxTOOLxX
December 19th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Well yeah, that seems okay, though I don't think you should do the rule yuo have to send out the lowest leveled first, since I don't think that would be fun. I think you should ask Sydian for approval of the challenge and then make a thread for it? :D And you're welcome for the feedback :)

Well that to was going to be an optional rule to for those who would want an extra challenge, because some people really aren't challenged enough by like 90% of these challenges so I want to give people the option to really test themselves if they feel they want to, and in regard to your last statement uhhh... Yea I asked for Sydian's feedback real quick and then after that I'm going to polish it up real quick and then send it in. =)

chaos11011
December 20th, 2011, 01:05 PM
So yeah guys I'm back for my Summer Break (until Feb.) so how've y'all been? I'd like to say hello to all the people who joined after my vanishing.

I've been a frequent user of the Nuzlocke Forums, so I've been doing a plethora of Nuzlockes, but I'd like to know if there's any new and hip Challenges around the block, 'cause this Swablu needs some CHALLENGES. *shot for old joke*

Alli
December 20th, 2011, 01:12 PM
No one's used that reference in forever! Also, jsyk, you don't ask me for approval and then post the thread. The thread has to be approved anyway. That's the approval process, lol. Posting ideas in here just gives you general feedback and helps better set up the challenge so that when I do get to check it out for approval, it'll be more likely to go through. I just deleted three challenges waiting on approval, actually. One made no sense, the other wasn't set up very well and would get confusing, and the last wasn't a challenge. It was an LP...and they were like "hopefully this doesn't get locked" lol :( Do people not read that threads here need approval before showing up? Silly!

chaos11011
December 20th, 2011, 01:50 PM
So how are you Syd? Doing any challenges lately? As for myself, I think I might do the Syddy Clause Challenge soon, just figuring out which Region/Game~

AmatuerHacker
December 21st, 2011, 12:24 PM
A colour challenge. Your team is based off a single colour.

Palladium
December 21st, 2011, 05:07 PM
A colour challenge. Your team is based off a single colour.

That isn't new, with a bit of setup you can get a thread but I think it died out pretty quickly

Enigma
December 22nd, 2011, 10:33 AM
I've never actually had the opportunity to do the monocolor challenge. If no one else wants to start up a thread for it, I'd be happy to make it. c:

Spades Slick
December 26th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I've never actually had the opportunity to do the monocolor challenge. If no one else wants to start up a thread for it, I'd be happy to make it. c:

I wouldn't really mind doing the thread if you wanted
I mean the idea does sound fun

Enigma
December 26th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I wouldn't really mind doing the thread if you wanted
I mean the idea does sound fun
If you want to do the thread for it, go ahead. :3 I'm not always around to update things, so it'd probably be better if you did it.

TheWeirdBadger
December 30th, 2011, 12:40 PM
What if you only played with Pokemon in a certain Experience group? (Erratic, Fast, Medium Fast, Medium Slow, Slow, Fluctuating). Experience groups determine how much EXP is required for a certain Pokemon to gain a level.

Info about Experience groups can be found on Bulbapedia. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Experience
And you can look at a list of Pokemon in each group.

mondays suck
December 31st, 2011, 06:39 AM
It's around 15:30 here right now, and the timezone that determines when the MOTY voting will end is 6 hours away - that means 2½ hours left. No, wait, 14½. Regardlessly, if no major changes occur in the best challenger section within these last hours and the outcome will be what it currently looks like, we can rightfully call 2011 a year of great injustice.

jdthebud
December 31st, 2011, 11:51 AM
It's around 15:30 here right now, and the timezone that determines when the MOTY voting will end is 6 hours away - that means 2½ hours left. No, wait, 14½. Regardlessly, if no major changes occur in the best challenger section within these last hours and the outcome will be what it currently looks like, we can rightfully call 2011 a year of great injustice.
LOL, I know! c'mon people!

Knight of Time
December 31st, 2011, 01:42 PM
What if you only played with Pokemon in a certain Experience group? (Erratic, Fast, Medium Fast, Medium Slow, Slow, Fluctuating). Experience groups determine how much EXP is required for a certain Pokemon to gain a level.

Info about Experience groups can be found on Bulbapedia. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Experience
And you can look at a list of Pokemon in each group.

I don't know, I think that (some of) the groups have too much options, making it kind easy and unbalanced, but it depends on rules you putting and stuff

vaporeon7
January 3rd, 2012, 03:39 AM
I don't know, I think that (some of) the groups have too much options, making it kind easy and unbalanced, but it depends on rules you putting and stuff

I have to agree, this would be way too easy. There is almost no restriction in type and you could still build a good, balanced team.

Also I came here to say that I finished my Hall of Fame Challenge after so many months.

Perrie ✿
January 3rd, 2012, 04:10 AM
The title is so outdated omg. :x

I've been meaning to do a challenge again but Idk which one. ;-; Any suggestions lalalala~

11wildy
January 3rd, 2012, 09:56 AM
Try on a nuzlocke, or maybe a NFE solo run?

vaporeon7
January 3rd, 2012, 04:11 PM

I've been meaning to do a challenge again but Idk which one. ;-; Any suggestions lalalala~

I need a new challenge to do as well.

You could do a Hall of Fame Challenge if you're looking for something that will stretch out over a long time. It is good because you can use your games where you don't want to start a new game.

bwburke94
January 5th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Please change the thread title on Saturday, since we'll be sick of Christmas by then. Only 354 more days!

vaporeon7
January 8th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Please change the thread title on Saturday, since we'll be sick of Christmas by then. Only 354 more days!

What should it be replaced with? It's usually a Pokémon someone has used in a challenge and talked up. Like the Sunflora I used... Water Hidden Power is a life saver.

chaos11011
January 9th, 2012, 05:04 PM
"Challengers are sick of Christmas, no Gift Pokemon for you! [CI&D]"

Would sound nice I guess .-.

myrrhman
January 16th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Myrrh's back!

I had a great Christmas (built a $850 desktop), then went to quite the New Year's Party 7 days later, then celebrated my 21st birthday 7 days later! But now, 7 days later, I'm finally back in the swing of things.

Other things that have happened: I got a livestream thingie. Could be relevant if some of us decided to stream challenges or something. I'll probably be playing through Pokemon Stadium soon too (come on, we all agree that was a good game, and now I have a computer that can easily handle an n64 emulator) so maybe I'll stream that or something? Idk its 3:30 AM here and I lost sanity a couple hours ago.

11wildy
January 16th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Well, welcome back I guess! :D Time for you to do a random monotype no item nfe nuzlocke to celebrate your comeback :)

vaporeon7
January 16th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Myrrh's back!

I had a great Christmas (built a $850 desktop), then went to quite the New Year's Party 7 days later, then celebrated my 21st birthday 7 days later! But now, 7 days later, I'm finally back in the swing of things.

Other things that have happened: I got a livestream thingie. Could be relevant if some of us decided to stream challenges or something. I'll probably be playing through Pokemon Stadium soon too (come on, we all agree that was a good game, and now I have a computer that can easily handle an n64 emulator) so maybe I'll stream that or something? Idk its 3:30 AM here and I lost sanity a couple hours ago.

I'd love to watch a stream of a challenge, I bet it would be really cool.

myrrhman
January 16th, 2012, 09:52 PM
I think I'm going to just leave the stream on 24/7, since it doesn't slow down my computer any... Well, mostly 24/7, there are a couple games that can't handle it properly, and sometimes I'm at class or trivia, or fencing, or stuff. That way, if anyone tunes in, they can just give me a challenge to do and I can switch over to it. I live quite the boring life outside of the aforementioned things.

Stream is starting now! link is http://www.livestream.com/myrrhman

Hit me up if you're bored or something

11wildy
January 17th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Okay, so I am going to play Heartgold, using only normal type pokemon and normal type moves. So I could use some advice! I will be using a Scrappy Miltank, Metronome Togepi and Foresight Sentret, who gets Me First later on.
Morty is not even my biggest concern, since Miltank and Sentret can hit it, but Jasmine will be difficult. How can I deal with her Steelix well?

myrrhman
January 17th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Use Metronome hax! Too bad there aren't normal Pokemon that can learn Guillotine or Horn Drill...

RichD
January 17th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Okay, so I am going to play Heartgold, using only normal type pokemon and normal type moves. So I could use some advice! I will be using a Scrappy Miltank, Metronome Togepi and Foresight Sentret, who gets Me First later on.
Morty is not even my biggest concern, since Miltank and Sentret can hit it, but Jasmine will be difficult. How can I deal with her Steelix well?

A Jigglypuff with Wake-up Slap?

Alli
January 17th, 2012, 11:03 AM
No Wake-Up Slap. It's a Fighting Type move. Anyway, HI I'M LAZY. :( I was so busy with work, Christmas, and the London trip that I didn't even get a team into the Hall of Fame last month. But on Christmas, that put me at a year on the Hall of Fame challenge. lol Such a long process. Anyway, hopefully I can get back in the swing of things. Just tell my 3DS to stop distracting me. :( And Skyrim. lol

RichD
January 17th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Ah yes, missed that wildy wanted only normal type moves. That is a pickle. Best I can think of is a Kangaskhan with Dizzy Punch to get the Steelix to bash itself, give your Miltank Bide and try to last long enough to blast it, or try a Raticate with Super Fang.

Alli
January 17th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Or fear Rattata. Endeavor IS a normal type move after all...and so is Quick Attack. lol

Also I love how this:

was posted while I was still away. >:o

RichD
January 17th, 2012, 01:33 PM
I have a thought that I am calling the Hometown Challenge.

The general idea is that you would pick a town or city in Pokemon game and you are limited to using the Pokemon that can be caught on the routes immediately next to the selected town plus the pokemon that the gym leader of that town uses.

There are then two flavors of the challenge. If you are playing in the same region as the hometown, or a region where the hometown's pokemon can be easily caught, then you hack or trade in one pokemon from the hometown and catch the rest normally as you encounter them in game.

If you play the challenge in a region where your pokemon are not available, say in Black or White with a previous generation hometown, then you may trade over a team of six hometown pokemon but are limited to using those six.

HM slaves would be allowed.

I like the idea because you can scale the difficulty based on which town and region you pick while allowing for variety in the team.

What do you think?

Luigi-San
January 17th, 2012, 05:42 PM
That sounds like a neat challenge, though I wouldn't be surprised if most people pick either Cerulean, Saffron, Mauville, or Jubilife since they each have four adjacent routes (although Jubilife doesn't have a Gym).

And speaking of Saffron, since one would be allowed to use the Pokemon used by the Gym Leader in the selected city, would the Fighting Dojo Master's (as the dojo was the city's gym until Sabrina beat them prior to the events of Generation I) Pokemon be allowed to be used?

Aura Vitae
January 17th, 2012, 07:23 PM
I have an idea for a challenge similar to Sydian's The Favorite Challenge.

First you state your overall favorite Pokemon, and obviously what game you'll do the challenge on, be it legendary or not for legendary status doesn't matter for this challenge. Then the next poster would give you a team of six pokemon based off the individual traits of your favorite pokemon. Please note that if you give the team,obviously keeping within the bounds of the game's generation then you must also do the challenge so state your favorite pokemon under the team. This would continue like so. You are allowed one Legendary and hacking in pokemon would be allowed if the pokemon is unavailable in your game before Route 1.

Let's say that I listed my favorite Pokemon as Lucario and I decide to play on Emerald. The next poster could say that Lucario is based off of a Jackal which is a canine so I get Absol. The same person could tell me that I get Aggron and Hariyama because Lucario is a Fighting/Steel Type. Then he or she could say that Lucario is blue so I get a Golduck. Next it could be reasoned that I would get a Gardevoir because Lucario senses Aura and fights with it. Aura is unseen by most and so is Psychic energy. Next Lucario has a vaguely humanoid shape so I could get Blaziken.

I think that I read a challenge similar to this but I can't remember if I did or not.

jdthebud
January 17th, 2012, 08:12 PM
I like the Hometown idea. I think you could include any pokemon you see in the city (NPC) as well as gym leader(s).

Alli
January 17th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Sounds interesting, Roen. Could work rather well. Also, I hope everyone that participated in the Christmas challenge got their emblem. I missed some sign ups while I was away and really didn't feel like sifting through the thread for the latest sign ups since I had last updated the list. -sigh-

11wildy
January 17th, 2012, 10:20 PM
I kinda feel like postponing the normal challenge, since I already did a normal monotype on Heartgold before D: I will look for another game that'll be fun to do it on, or if anybody has another difficult challenge that can be combined with monotype, I'm here to see your suggestions!

myrrhman
January 18th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Roen's challenge sort of reminds me of the trainer personality examination. I think that's what challenge I'm thinking of.... Could be something else. IDK LEAVE ME ALONE.

RichD
January 18th, 2012, 09:00 AM
That sounds like a neat challenge, though I wouldn't be surprised if most people pick either Cerulean, Saffron, Mauville, or Jubilife since they each have four adjacent routes (although Jubilife doesn't have a Gym).

Well if people want to pick the easy towns, that is their choice, but greater bragging rights will go to those picking the tougher towns.

And speaking of Saffron, since one would be allowed to use the Pokemon used by the Gym Leader in the selected city, would the Fighting Dojo Master's (as the dojo was the city's gym until Sabrina beat them prior to the events of Generation I) Pokemon be allowed to be used?

I would say no simply because if we have to keep track of every special NPC in a city it will get too complex pretty quick.

Aura Vitae
January 18th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Roen's challenge sort of reminds me of the trainer personality examination. I think that's what challenge I'm thinking of.... Could be something else. IDK LEAVE ME ALONE.

The Trainer Personality Examination is based off a quiz however.

pokedude123456
January 18th, 2012, 02:51 PM
idk if this already exists, but you have to use one of every of the e4 in that game

for example
if i were doind pearl, i would pick:
beautifly(aaron)
quagsire(bertha)
infernape(flint)
alakazam(lucian)
garchomp(cynthia)

jdthebud
January 18th, 2012, 04:02 PM
idk if this already exists, but you have to use one of every of the e4 in that game

for example
if i were doind pearl, i would pick:
beautifly(aaron)
quagsire(bertha)
infernape(flint)
alakazam(lucian)
garchomp(cynthia)
Even if that existed, it's too limited. You might be able to do one with all elite four members ever, but not for just one game.

myrrhman
January 18th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Well if people want to pick the easy towns, that is their choice, but greater bragging rights will go to those picking the tougher towns.

I would say no simply because if we have to keep track of every special NPC in a city it will get too complex pretty quick.
Meh, every challenge has that though. There are certainly monotypes that are harder than others, as well as solos, etc.

Special NPC's have a lot of Pokemon? I thought there were just like a couple in each game (such as the Slowbro in Cerulean, Poliwrath in Celadon, and a few in Fuchsia.
The Trainer Personality Examination is based off a quiz however.
But am I thinking of the right challenge? They're sort of similar, right?

Aura Vitae
January 18th, 2012, 07:13 PM
But am I thinking of the right challenge? They're sort of similar, right?

Sort of in the fact that your team would be based off of something that you put down. The main difference is that multiple answers decides your team of three in Pokemon Black or White and what type of Trainer you are. Also the author gives you the pokemon. While in the one I suggested you get your team of six based off of what you list as your favorite pokemon. The next pokemon decides this based off the traits of your favorite pokemon and not your personality. Also mine isn't B/W exclusive.

11wildy
January 21st, 2012, 02:59 AM
LOL, I am doing a monotype normal Metronome only challenge ( I hacked Metronome to have 40 pp) and vs Misty's Staryu I got Blast Burn. Hydro cannon AND Frenzy plant! :D

vaporeon7
January 21st, 2012, 03:04 AM
LOL, I am doing a monotype normal Metronome only challenge ( I hacked Metronome to have 40 pp) and vs Misty's Staryu I got Blast Burn. Hydro cannon AND Frenzy plant! :D

I wanted to do a challenge like that in Pokémon Crystal, but I never got around to it.

Klave
January 21st, 2012, 05:09 AM
I have an idea but I'm not sure if it's been done before.

Go online and take a Pokemon personality test. The first 5 Pokemon you get (and if you can get them in the game) will have to be the ones on your team. If you can't get them until late in the game, then tough - you will need to use your starter Pokemon until you can catch them. You can only catch those Pokemon or Pokemon in those evolution lines.

11wildy
January 21st, 2012, 05:38 AM
Those tests have limited solutions, which a few are very common, so you'd be seeing a lot of different teams. Nice to see different challenges coming up though ;D

myrrhman
January 22nd, 2012, 03:59 PM
Wouldn't you theoretically get the same pokemon over and over since your personality wouldn't change? Also:

I was about to try the challenge, but I didn't have the... time. :cool::cool::cool::cool:

vaporeon7
January 22nd, 2012, 05:39 PM
Is it me, or is using Metronome funner to use in G/S/C and R/B/Y than in the other games?

myrrhman
January 22nd, 2012, 08:45 PM
You know what? You're right. I don't know why, but I totally agree with you.

jdthebud
January 22nd, 2012, 09:32 PM
Is it me, or is using Metronome funner to use in G/S/C and R/B/Y than in the other games?
Less moves to choose from maybe, and the games are easier imo.

Alli
January 23rd, 2012, 06:31 AM
Yeah, more likely to pick up Aeroblast. :) Haha. I was using Metronome with my Togetic in White and didn't get anything good. There's sooo many moves it could be now. lol

myrrhman
January 23rd, 2012, 07:11 AM
Yeah, one time I was playing Platinum (I think it was 4th gen at least) and I got a couple moves I had never heard of. That would never happen in RBYGSC.

vaporeon7
January 24th, 2012, 02:04 AM
Yeah, more likely to pick up Aeroblast. :) Haha. I was using Metronome with my Togetic in White and didn't get anything good. There's sooo many moves it could be now. lol

I love having overlevelled Pokémon and then getting OHKO moves >:)

chaos11011
January 24th, 2012, 03:30 AM
Remember last year when Syd was trying to "Hall of Fame" all of the Unova Dex Pokemon? Yeah, I'm doing a simmilar challenge in which I must capture every new Pokemon I find and have all of the Pokemon at the same level (The lowest level Pokemon and the highest level Pokemon cannot have more than a 5 level diference).

I have a feeling this challenge will get extremely challenging/tedious once I get to Brycen/Drayden and have 40+ Pokemon to train :U

vaporeon7
January 24th, 2012, 03:41 AM
Remember last year when Syd was trying to "Hall of Fame" all of the Unova Dex Pokemon? Yeah, I'm doing a simmilar challenge in which I must capture every new Pokemon I find and have all of the Pokemon at the same level (The lowest level Pokemon and the highest level Pokemon cannot have more than a 5 level diference).

I have a feeling this challenge will get extremely challenging/tedious once I get to Brycen/Drayden and have 40+ Pokemon to train :U

I did a Hall of Fame Challenge as well and beat Syd >:3 But Syd unnecessarily has all the Pokémon's levels raised to 70+, which isn't needed, I only trained mine to 60.

chaos11011
January 24th, 2012, 04:21 AM
Yeah, I remember you said you did it aswell. Congrats if you finished it!

Right now, I just beat Chili (Snivy ftw?) and caught Munna. I now have 7 team members. Going to transfer my 11 Pokemon from my brother's White Version that I transfered from my Black Version to the game .-.

Alli
January 24th, 2012, 07:17 AM

Trying? Trying?! Succeeding, yo. Still working on it.

I did a Hall of Fame Challenge as well and beat Syd >:3 But Syd unnecessarily has all the Pokémon's levels raised to 70+, which isn't needed, I only trained mine to 60.

We weren't in a race, especially since we had different standards, lmfao. I included Petilil, and the three event Pokemon that aren't released and I go to level 70, most of the time. Trying not to do that this round because the Excadrill I have is level 81. Do I REALLY need level 70s alongside that? No, I don't. lol And it's not "unnecessary" leveling. I like being overlevel, so in my world, it's perfectly fine. Get yo facts straight.

vaporeon7
January 25th, 2012, 01:13 PM
We weren't in a race, especially since we had different standards, lmfao. I included Petilil, and the three event Pokemon that aren't released and I go to level 70, most of the time. Trying not to do that this round because the Excadrill I have is level 81. Do I REALLY need level 70s alongside that? No, I don't. lol And it's not "unnecessary" leveling. I like being overlevel, so in my world, it's perfectly fine. Get yo facts straight.

I used Petilil too at lv60...

I know we weren't a race, I'm just generally competitive. xD And believe me, I like being overlevelled too, all my team was on lv64 before I challenged the E4 on White the first time.

Alli
January 25th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I took in an underleveled Watchog lol. I was ready to just get that team over with and get back on track with this challenge. I should be finishing it by March if everything goes well. :D And I'm competitive as well, but to the point where I'll get really mad at people, so I just like to not think of myself in competition with anyone. XD Otherwise I'd be angry all the time! ...And we don't want that... :3

vaporeon7
January 25th, 2012, 01:27 PM
I took in an underleveled Watchog lol. I was ready to just get that team over with and get back on track with this challenge. I should be finishing it by March if everything goes well. :D And I'm competitive as well, but to the point where I'll get really mad at people, so I just like to not think of myself in competition with anyone. XD Otherwise I'd be angry all the time! ...And we don't want that... :3

You could've raised that Watchog to lv100, it would've still been pretty useless other than statusing other Pokémon. I suppose that thought of competition made me work harder at it.

Alli
January 25th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Watchog was good against...wild Audino. lol Also, I'd like to know what everyone's up to! What challenges y'all are doing and what not. :) I'm doing Hall of Fame, Tier, Christian, and a shiny run. So...busy as usual with these. Working on Tier challenge right now though, cause I've had a hankering to play Gold lately haha. About to go and face Morty.

Jellicent♀
January 25th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Well, I'm starting my Random Pokemon Challenge. I'm also doing a non-official Nuzlocke Challenge (non official as in not posting on any threads) in Crystal. Other than that, nothing. I'm trying to keep myself limited as to how many i do at one time, that way i can keep up with myself on it all.

myrrhman
January 25th, 2012, 08:17 PM
I'm still working on soloing with all 88 fully evolved pokemon in Red/Blue.

Other than that, I just finished a Nuzlocke on Silver, and a Duo on Gold.

Pretty much doing everything that's on the first two gens.

mamoswineftw
January 26th, 2012, 01:19 AM
Hey guys,

So haven't played for ages and am getting back into the games and am looking for a challenge. And then I stumbled upon this gem on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bHkEacbFXk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

For those who don't want to watch it, here's what it basically is:
Since you CANNOT exit Pewter before defeating Brock, this guy filled his pokedex to the MAX before he did so. Eg:
Starter line FE level 36
Pidgey line level 36
Nido m&f level 16
Butterfree. level 10
Beedrill. level 10
Pikachu
Spearow. level 20

Pretty sure thats all of it.

Anyway, so here's the challenge: do this for EVERY region, and also before EVERY gym. Everyone will have exactly the same result, but I reckon I might give it a go. Maybe on Sapphire or Ruby.

What do you guys reckon?

Alli
January 26th, 2012, 08:40 AM
I guess you could go for that! I personally wouldn't haha. The grinding would be insane, and doing that in BW would be nearly impossible...oh Lord...haha.

Luigi-San
January 26th, 2012, 09:45 AM
you CANNOT exit Pewter before defeating Brock

Actually, you can, albeit only by a glitch:

ynzSKiOZ_Ew

mamoswineftw
January 26th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Fine, be that way....

Alright, WITHOUT glitching you can't do it. Still, I was thinking it over, and the sheer scope of it is intimidating. In Hoenn I think it's around 35 or so. What have I got myself into???

myrrhman
January 26th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Also you forgot Rattata.

I grinded a Charmander to 36 for a Zard once without delivering Oak's Parcel. It was over a ~2 week span. Didn't want to play too much to tire myself out.

Alli
January 27th, 2012, 08:06 AM
I wouldn't have the patience for that. I barely have the patience to get this Dratini in Gold to level 20, let alone 30. lol

Jellicent♀
January 27th, 2012, 08:34 AM
^That's why I pop those babies in the Daycare, get on my bike, and travel up and down from Goldenrod to the Route over and over again. Especially if I'm using an emulator. Super speed + Bike = VERY fast level up. It's really helpful in challenges and whatnot.

myrrhman
January 27th, 2012, 05:30 PM
^That's why I pop those babies in the Daycare, get on my bike, and travel up and down from Goldenrod to the Route over and over again. Especially if I'm using an emulator. Super speed + Bike = VERY fast level up. It's really helpful in challenges and whatnot.
Don't really know why I don't try this. I guess most challenges are easy enough without bike grinding for me.

Jellicent♀
January 27th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Don't really know why I don't try this. I guess most challenges are easy enough without bike grinding for me.
I really only do it for Pokemon with a slow experience rate. Other than that I'll train off of Tentacool/cruel. Miltank and Tauros are beautiful for it, too.

vaporeon7
January 30th, 2012, 03:22 AM

I've done this a once before. It was the only thing I could do while I was at school, with my laptop screen at an unseeable angle, with my keys on the arrows going back and forth while listening to the teacher. You just have to be careful to make sure that a move that you want doesn't get taught over in the older gens.

Jellicent♀
January 31st, 2012, 06:57 PM
I've done this a once before. It was the only thing I could do while I was at school, with my laptop screen at an unseeable angle, with my keys on the arrows going back and forth while listening to the teacher. You just have to be careful to make sure that a move that you want doesn't get taught over in the older gens.
Ugh, that's the most annoying part. Having to go to their moves, switch them around to the moves I don't care about them losing, going back a few levels later, take them out, switch moves again, rinse, repeat...
It got annoying. But once I sat for ten minutes with my emulator on hyper speed for yellow, and my Lapras grew fifty levels. So it was pretty boss.

Alli
February 2nd, 2012, 08:59 PM
But moneyyy. :( Unless you're doing this in post game, then sure, that's fine. But money is hard to come by, especially in GSC it seems. Then again, I was scraping for coins and blowing my money constantly...lol

Jellicent♀
February 2nd, 2012, 09:03 PM
But moneyyy. :( Unless you're doing this in post game, then sure, that's fine. But money is hard to come by, especially in GSC it seems. Then again, I was scraping for coins and blowing my money constantly...lol
I never bought anything until I reached Goldenrod anyway, so I'd usually have around 15k. :'D
So i had plenty to spare for a few levels. But yeah, unless you do what i did, money is always hard for those games. Everybody is poor in Johto.

myrrhman
February 2nd, 2012, 10:29 PM
I usually buy an Abra from the game corner (200 coins, = 4,000) and the three punches (3,000 each), so I have 13,000 total, but then I backtrack and beat all the trainers between Ilex Forest and Goldenrod, as well as the trainers between National Park and Goldenrod. SO I'm sure I'd have another 2K at least from all that.

vaporeon7
February 3rd, 2012, 12:21 AM

I know what you mean about the money. Though it's only really a concern when you buy things from the Game Corner, those darn TMs in G/S/C and Dratini in R/B.

Alli
February 6th, 2012, 07:48 AM
At least we're not working on buying Porygon in Red. trololol. :( Also guys, I have one more team for the Hall of Fame challenge. ONE. MORE. TEAM. I don't know whether to be happy or sad, haha. I guess if I get sad, I could start doing that for a different region... v_v And torture myself further.

~Hot n' Cold~
February 6th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I don't know if this is the right place to post it, but I have seen several people posting their runs so...

~Hot n' Cold~'s Ultimate Pokémon Challenge Run
List of Challenges
- The Tier Challenge
Red Uber
Silver Overused
Emerald Borderline
FireRed Underused
Pearl Borderline 2
HeartGold Rarely Used
White Neverused
Blue Little Cup
Crystal Limbo
- The Challenge
Black
- The Ones That Got Away
Red
Silver
Emerald
FireRed
Pearl
HeartGold
White
- The Random Pokémon Challenge
Yellow
Gold
Sapphire
LeafGreen
Platinum
HeartGold
White
- The Nuzlocke Challenge
Blue
Crystal
Emerald
FireRed
Pearl
HeartGold
White
- The Character Challenge
Red
Silver
Emerald
FireRed
Pearl
HeartGold
White
- The Ultimate Monotype Challenge
Fire
Water
Normal
Fighting
Poison
Rock
Grass
Ground
Psychic
Electric
Bug
Ice
Dark
Ghost
Dragon
Steel
Flying
- Combined Pokémon Solo Challenge
Though I most likely won't accomplish it, doing all Pokémon would be a massive achievement.
Finished
None
- The Ultimate Speed Run Challenge
Blue
Crystal
Ruby
Pearl
HeartGold
White
- The Grinding Challenge
Yellow
Gold
Sapphire
Platinum
HeartGold
White
- R/B/Y Ultimate No Catch Challenge
Red
- The Favorite Challenge V2
Black
- You Don't Have Enough Balls Challenge
FireRed
- PokéDex Rotation Challenge
Red
Silver
Emerald
FireRed
Pearl
HeartGold
White
- The Born Again Christian Challenge
Blue
Crystal
Ruby
LeafGreen
Platinum
HeartGold
White
- The One-in-Each Challenge
Yellow
Gold
Sapphire
Emerald
HeartGold
White
- The Duo-Species Challenge
Red
Silver
Emerald
FireRed
Pearl
HeartGold
White
- The Limited Progression Challenge
Blue
Crystal
Ruby
LeafGreen
Platinum
HeartGold
White
- The Life Orb Challenge

Yellow
Gold
Sapphire
FireRed
Pearl
HeartGold
White
- Paul's Training Method
Red
Silver
Emerald
FireRed
Pearl
HeartGold
White
- Smeargle's Hut ~ Monocolor Challenge
Red
Blue
Green
Yellow
Purple
Pink
Brown
Black
Gray
White
- Pokémon Expert Emerald PokéDex Completion Challenge
Badges: 2
PokéDex: 69/386
- Pokémon Hall of Fame Challenge [Complete All Games
Games Completed: 0
Red: 0/8
- Shiny Pokémon Challenge
Pokémon Caught:
4/693
Weedle, Kakuna, Beedrill, Wurmple
- Different Kind of Hall of Fame Challenge [have every single Pokémon "Hall of Famed"]
None Yet

Current Challenges
- Smeargle's Hut MonoColor Challenge [LeafGreen, Purple]
- Shiny Pokémon Challenge

11wildy
February 7th, 2012, 07:25 AM
I kind off need a challenge which I can play against somebody, although not a very complicated one, counting everything. Any ideas? :)

titanomegistoterastios
February 7th, 2012, 04:00 PM
hello,

i am about to start a suicide challenge in pokemon silver( my gbc is broken, so ill us an emulator instead)
has anybody tried this? any tips?
(i can't read the whole thread)
also, should i record my progress? if yes, how?

d4rka8isz
February 7th, 2012, 07:00 PM
I kind off need a challenge which I can play against somebody, although not a very complicated one, counting everything. Any ideas? :)

Well, there is the MMOPokeRPG Challenge if that's what you mean. I'm looking forward to it.

11wildy
February 7th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Well, there is the MMOPokeRPG Challenge if that's what you mean. I'm looking forward to it.

That's exactly what I not meant, it's way too complicated, having to keep track of every single thing you do :x

vaporeon7
February 7th, 2012, 11:39 PM
I don't know if this is the right place to post it, but I have seen several people posting their runs so...
I have a blog post for challenges, but seeing as that isn't an option for you, you could always put them in your about me section on your profile.

myrrhman
February 8th, 2012, 07:58 AM
FANOFFIRESTARTERS and I are going to race in completing the original 151 fully evolve solo challenges. You could always do something like that; find a challenge you like, find someone that's about to do it, and say "hey, wanna race?"

jdthebud
February 8th, 2012, 10:46 AM
FANOFFIRESTARTERS and I are going to race in completing the original 151 fully evolve solo challenges. You could always do something like that; find a challenge you like, find someone that's about to do it, and say "hey, wanna race?"
Hey, you and I did something like that for monotypes, didn't we? and then you dropped out T_T.

myrrhman
February 8th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Hey, you and I did something like that for monotypes, didn't we? and then you dropped out T_T.
Yeah, yeah. DPPt/BW is just too boring for me. I did great on the first three gens though! I think I'd like this one better, because the games are shorter (and can be sped easier). I'll finish the monos someday.

Enigma
February 8th, 2012, 07:15 PM
I would "race" you with monotypes if I wasn't already so far behind...I've only done like half of a Ultimate Flying Mono. xD

vaporeon7
February 9th, 2012, 04:38 AM
I would attempt it, but I'm far too busy.
/only has time to do challenges during homegroup.

Alternative
February 10th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Hey I got bored so I started a Nuzlocke on Soulsilver. It should be fun and all. :3 At one stage my 3DS was going flat so I had to beat Bugsy as fast as I could.

Enigma
February 10th, 2012, 10:49 PM
I'm thinking about re-creating a thread for deku's TCG Challenge (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=253403). It was a really fun and creative challenge, but it was far too short-lived. I'm also thinking about making a new thread for my old Username Letter Challenge (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=239032). What do you guys think? :D I've been in such a challenge-y mood lately.

pokepokemo
February 11th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Yeah I remember that one. Thought about joining it but didn't find a deck suitable for me.
May be I can find one now! So the point is, it would probably be a fun challenge!

Enigma
February 11th, 2012, 03:29 PM
I'm going to go ahead and work on re-creating both of those threads today. I'm really excited and eager to be able to participate in them and allow everyone else to participate in them as well, especially the people that didn't get to try them last time. c: I've also been trying to think up some new challenge ideas lately, but nothing really good has come to mind yet.

pokepokemo
February 11th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Hey, I thought about re- creating the dream theme challenge by LaureTheLoner.....
Maybe some know it, maybe some don't but I want people's opinion. With various themes to pick from, it's like a challenge that branch to more challenges!

Enigma
February 11th, 2012, 09:18 PM
I think it's a good idea. That's another challenge I don't think I ever had the opportunity to try! It was a challenge that certainly allowed a challenger to have creativity and freedom with its variety. :)

pokepokemo
February 11th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Now the next problem to the re-creation, more creative themes! I'll keep some from the old one, but I need some new ones to!
So can anyone suggest some themes for the challenge?
BY the way, I'm gonna start making the thread now :)

~Hot n' Cold~
February 12th, 2012, 03:01 PM
I'm finally getting around to my Ultimate Challenge Run [above]. The first challenge I am going to be doing is Spades Slick (http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=296198)'s Smeargle's Hut ~ Monocolor Challenge (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=270042). I'm going to be doing it on LeafGreen, and all my Pokémon are going to be Purple.

My team will be:
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/bw/169.pnghttp://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/bw/89.pnghttp://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/bw/91.pnghttp://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/bw/94.pnghttp://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/bw/121.pnghttp://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/bw/142.png

I'll update after every 3 major battles [Rival, Gym, Rocket Admin, Giovanni, Elite Four].

Enigma
February 12th, 2012, 03:12 PM
I'm finally getting around to my Ultimate Challenge Run [above]. The first challenge I am going to be doing is Spades Slick (http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=296198)'s Smeargle's Hut ~ Monocolor Challenge (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=270042). I'm going to be doing it on LeafGreen, and all my Pokémon are going to be Purple.

My team will be:
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/bw/169.pnghttp://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/bw/89.pnghttp://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/bw/91.pnghttp://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/bw/94.pnghttp://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/bw/121.pnghttp://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/bw/142.png

I'll update after every 3 major battles [Rival, Gym, Rocket Admin, Giovanni, Elite Four].

What a coincidence, I'm currently doing that same challenge using the same color on FireRed. The 1st generation certainly has a lot of variety with it's purple Pokemon. c:
I'm also working on those threads now, as well as doing the final part of my Ultimate Character Challenge on White.

Drimza
February 12th, 2012, 05:01 PM
I'm currently doing a challenge on Pokemon White that is sort of a mix between the Random Pokemon Challenge and Laure's Egg Salad (Genetic Mutation Mode). It is basically a random hack challenge where you are stuck with what you get, which also means you can't evolve anything. I downloaded a random number generator and used it to randomize the options for Pokemon in Pokesav.
The things I randomized were:

Pokemon (649)
Natures (25)
Ability (164)
Ivs (31)
Evs (255)
Moves (559)
Regions (13)*
Ball (25)*

*Optional

So, I set up a parameter in the generator (ex. 1-31) for each option and the number that was given was the number I had to use for the move, Pokemon, etc. I chose 5 Pokemon to randomize and most of them had pretty good stats but really crappy moves Magnezone with Astonish. It's ok though because I got a really awesome Cloyster with Dragon Claw haha. This challenge is really fun so far and I just wanted to post my idea for this.

Alli
February 12th, 2012, 06:00 PM
You knows there's a problem when you're deleting more threads waiting for approval than actually approving them...smh.

Gulpin
February 12th, 2012, 06:18 PM
What a coincidence, I'm currently doing that same challenge using the same color on FireRed. The 1st generation certainly has a lot of variety with it's purple Pokemon. c:
I'm also working on those threads now, as well as doing the final part of my Ultimate Character Challenge on White.

You're welcome to the CSS I used in the TCG challenge, if you wish to use it ^_^

Enigma
February 12th, 2012, 11:11 PM
You knows there's a problem when you're deleting more threads waiting for approval than actually approving them...smh.
I'll be sure to triple-check both of my new threads before submitting them, just to be sure. c:

You're welcome to the CSS I used in the TCG challenge, if you wish to use it ^_^
I'll probably decide to take you up on that offer. Thanks, and kudos to you for thinking of such an awesome challenge in the first place. :D

myrrhman
February 12th, 2012, 11:43 PM
Hey Hot n Cold, how exactly are you doing the Ultimate Challenge? Because I think I'm doing something quite similar to you. I've always wanted to complete every challenge PC had to offer, but I'm not quite sure how specific I want to be.

For instance, with monotypes, clearly I want to do an Ultimate for every type.
For challenges such as the Smeargle Hunt, I'm planning on doing every color on every generation. (At least I get credit for doing the RBY Black when I solo with Snorlax).
However, for Challenges such as Duo, I don't think it makes sense to do every possible pairing. I think one per gen is enough.
For solos, I'm doing it by family, not each and every Pokemon. Also, I'm just planning on doing it in the first game the Pokemon is available in. However, I'll do at least one Ultimate just so I can get that title.
I'm also not touching B/W. I can't play those games for more than 5 minutes without falling asleep. I honestly don't know why, I guess I just have to have a speed button for it. Maybe a suitable one will come out by the time I finish all these other challenges.

Here's what my list sort of looks like...

Myrrh's Ultimate Challenge List:
Color Challenge: 4/40 | RB Pink: GSC Red: RSE Brown, Green
Duo: 2/4 | K J
Trio: 3/4 | K J H
Monotype: 56/66 | Kanto/Johto/Hoenn Complete: All, Sinnoh Complete: Nor, Fir, Wat, Ele, Gra, Poi, Gho
Gym Leader Challenge: 1/32 | Koga
Elite Four Challenge: 2/20 | Lo Ko
Nuzlocke: 3/4 | K J H
Solo: 22/310
Evil Team Challenge: 2/5 | K J
Random Pokemon: 1/4 | K
Gym Type Challenge: 1/4 | K
Gym Disadvantage: 1/4 | K
Alphabet Challenge: 1/26 | G
Tier Challenge: 0/17 |
One in Each Challenge: 2/4 | K J
Catch 'em All Challenge: 2/4 | K S
All in all, 101/558

What do you guys think?

pokepokemo
February 13th, 2012, 12:26 AM
After what Sydian said, I really hope I get approved :(

Enigma
February 13th, 2012, 12:51 AM
For challenges such as the Smeargle Hunt, I'm planning on doing every color on every generation. (I'm also not doing colors on R/B, since they technically weren't out til GSC).
If you completed the St. Patrick's Event Challenge from last year, it theoretically should count for the color green on whatever generation you played on.

After what Sydian said, I really hope I get approved :(
As long as you made sure that you had a clear format and rules for your challenge, you should be okay.

Speaking of which, I just submitted my thread for my Username Letter Challenge v2. I'm really excited to do my Ultimate for that challenge, I ended up with some pretty decent letters. c:
Also, just now got the new TCG Challenge thread posted. I remember making a file on Notepad not too long ago of all the decks I wanted to do. I just found it, and I have about 24 or so decks listed with teams already selected. I was pretty eager when I first saw the challenge, so I wanted to do the challenge multiple times. I still plan on doing all of those decks eventually.

myrrhman
February 13th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I've a question for you all.

Under normal challenge circumstances, that don't set Pokemon limit (Duo, Trio), how many Pokemon are needed for the challenge to count? Some are restricted (Dragon monotype RBY, where you have 1 family to choose from), but many (Blue Color challenge on DPPt, for example) have plenty of options. Obviously there's no limit to the maximum number of Pokemon you can use, but what's the minimum? 1 is much too low (and I'd be done with all the challenges in just a few playthroughs lol), but 6 definitely isn't needed? Is 2 enough? 3? 4? What do you guys think?

jdthebud
February 14th, 2012, 02:56 AM

Under normal challenge circumstances, that don't set Pokemon limit (Duo, Trio), how many Pokemon are needed for the challenge to count? Some are restricted (Dragon monotype RBY, where you have 1 family to choose from), but many (Blue Color challenge on DPPt, for example) have plenty of options. Obviously there's no limit to the maximum number of Pokemon you can use, but what's the minimum? 1 is much too low (and I'd be done with all the challenges in just a few playthroughs lol), but 6 definitely isn't needed? Is 2 enough? 3? 4? What do you guys think?
I think it depends. My view is that 3 is really the minimum, if you have enough good options, to really have a chance at beating the game without either massive overleveling/grinding or item spamming, both of which I dislike. I really hate having to revive pokemon mid-battle, especially against the Champions. It feels unfair in my mind since they can't do that, and using tons of full restores to PP stall sucks too.

I think it depends both on the challenge and the game you're playing. For example, in my BW monotypes, I try to get a team of 5 if I can for the pregame (5 unova pokemon), which isn't as much of a hardship because of the Lucky Egg, and it ends up being somewhat challenging to fight N and Ghetsis, while also being able to see how the new Pokemon play out. Then I fill out any remaining spots in the postgame with Pokemon from earlier gens that I either like or want to try out. The Lucky Egg is really the only reason I am able to do that without getting bored.

That's just an example, and I play that way because it's fun for me.

If I had to say that there was an absolute minimum, it would be two, since these aren't solos! but three should be the minimum in a perfect world imo.

pokepokemo
February 14th, 2012, 03:12 AM

I agree with jd, as you said, 1 or 2 is a bit low for even the most restricted challenges (Except for of course, challenges that is like a duo or solo). So 3 should be a good minimum.
Of course, I can't say for Gen 4 or 5, since I get bored from just playing them since it's so slow without a speed up. But for the first 3 gens, playing with 1 or 2 pokemon is not that hard,
since the pokemon would be overleveled by then, a great deal so. ( Save if you use terrible pokemon of course).
But if you use, 3 pokemon, even if you are stronger than the champ for each pokemon, the elite four would still be able to eat through you if you don't be wary enough.
Let's say the champ's pokemon are at an average 60, that's six pokemon. And your's would be about lv 70~75 at average, maybe even less. But if it were a duo, it would be at and average 60 for the champ and about 80~85 for you! ( I'm not saying that this would mow down the opponents though ) A solo would be even more one sided, the champ's would be 60 and you would be at about 90~ 100! But then again, the gyms would be mowed down, but the champ and the elite four can make life hard for your solo.
So all in all, a 3 pokemon is a good minimum!

myrrhman
February 14th, 2012, 09:25 AM
I think it depends. My view is that 3 is really the minimum, if you have enough good options, to really have a chance at beating the game without either massive overleveling/grinding or item spamming, both of which I dislike. I really hate having to revive pokemon mid-battle, especially against the Champions. It feels unfair in my mind since they can't do that, and using tons of full restores to PP stall sucks too.

I think it depends both on the challenge and the game you're playing. For example, in my BW monotypes, I try to get a team of 5 if I can for the pregame (5 unova pokemon), which isn't as much of a hardship because of the Lucky Egg, and it ends up being somewhat challenging to fight N and Ghetsis, while also being able to see how the new Pokemon play out. Then I fill out any remaining spots in the postgame with Pokemon from earlier gens that I either like or want to try out. The Lucky Egg is really the only reason I am able to do that without getting bored.

That's just an example, and I play that way because it's fun for me.

If I had to say that there was an absolute minimum, it would be two, since these aren't solos! but three should be the minimum in a perfect world imo.
See, back in the day when I started doing challenges, I would have full teams of 6, like every time (I think my first challenges were the Water RBY monotype and a Challenge where you use Team Rocket's Pokemon.) However, over time, I came to realize that you really didn't need that many Pokemon AT ALL to beat the game. Now, I don't remember when I voluntarily used 5-6 Pokemon for a challenge.

Now, we both know that its not that hard to solo the game with a Pokemon, even with a type disadvantage, a level 80 Pokemon can take out most of the Elite Four with a Body Slam or something. 2 Pokemon is a little tougher, and one might faint from time to time.

I think with 3 Pokemon, a lot of grinding around Victory Road is needed before you take on the Elite Four.

4 and up is just silly imo.

But, I sort of feel dirty just beating the game with 2 Pokemon. It feels like I'm not even trying. maybe its just because I'm that good at challenges. But, I feel like my main objective is quantity, not quality. So, minimal amount of extra grinding is super fun.
I agree with jd, as you said, 1 or 2 is a bit low for even the most restricted challenges (Except for of course, challenges that is like a duo or solo). So 3 should be a good minimum.
Of course, I can't say for Gen 4 or 5, since I get bored from just playing them since it's so slow without a speed up. But for the first 3 gens, playing with 1 or 2 pokemon is not that hard,
since the pokemon would be overleveled by then, a great deal so. ( Save if you use terrible pokemon of course).
But if you use, 3 pokemon, even if you are stronger than the champ for each pokemon, the elite four would still be able to eat through you if you don't be wary enough.
Let's say the champ's pokemon are at an average 60, that's six pokemon. And your's would be about lv 70~75 at average, maybe even less. But if it were a duo, it would be at and average 60 for the champ and about 80~85 for you! ( I'm not saying that this would mow down the opponents though ) A solo would be even more one sided, the champ's would be 60 and you would be at about 90~ 100! But then again, the gyms would be mowed down, but the champ and the elite four can make life hard for your solo.
So all in all, a 3 pokemon is a good minimum!
I can't speak for all generations, but in Gen I, without excessive grinding, a normal growth rate Pokemon gets you at about 82 at the end of the game, and 2 Pokemon gets you at about 70 each. Gen II is about the same, I think you might be a little lower; about 68 for 2 Pokemon. For 3 Pokemon, I think my last run through Red Version ended with 47, 57, and 62 or something.

Alli
February 14th, 2012, 11:17 AM
After what Sydian said, I really hope I get approved

Nope. :3c You didn't include your sign up, which to me says "I'm just posting this, not taking part in it" and that's a no no.

That in mind, I want to punch this forum...why do people think it's the place to post threads to ask for advice on challenges? Why do people like to advertise here, when OBVIOUSLY an advertisement won't get approved? Y U NO READ RULES :( :( :(

Though almost everyone that posts in this thread has read the rules and has run successful challenge threads. So...idek. There's a few things I'm thinking of doing in this section, but it involves making more rules that no one would read, and tbh I don't like the idea of this forum getting any more strict. LE SIGH.

Also, I would consider 3 the minimum. It's half a team, and it's good enough. Going through with 3 Pokemon isn't as bad as 2 or 1, and it can give you the balance you need. So I'd put 3 as the minimum, even though technically, it's more of the median.

Jellicent♀
February 14th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Y U NO READ RULES :( :( :(
Because they're as lame as old soda cans with dead ants in them. :c

There's a few things I'm thinking of doing in this section, but it involves making more rules that no one would read, and tbh I don't like the idea of this forum getting any more strict. LE SIGH.I say make more rules. If people can't listen to them, forget them, they don't need to be here. :/
Don't follow the rules, don't get to play.

Also, I would consider 3 the minimum. It's half a team, and it's good enough. Going through with 3 Pokemon isn't as bad as 2 or 1, and it can give you the balance you need. So I'd put 3 as the minimum, even though technically, it's more of the median.I agree with this. There's already a Duo Challenge thread, and a solo thread (correct me if I'm wrong), so if someone just posted that they were using only two Pokemon, they could have just signed up for the Duo Species challenge.

myrrhman
February 14th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Also, I would consider 3 the minimum. It's half a team, and it's good enough. Going through with 3 Pokemon isn't as bad as 2 or 1, and it can give you the balance you need. So I'd put 3 as the minimum, even though technically, it's more of the median.
I feel ya. And I think we all agree that 1 being the minimum would just be silly. But if its a matter of needed balance, or easiness, I feel like 2 is plenty. Is minimum a person to person basis because of these things, which would make my minimum 2, or is it something more?

It should probably be said now that I've used 2 Pokemon before for runs, and I've caught a 3rd Pokemon before when 2 Pokemon certainly would have sufficed. I don't really know where I stand on this, which is why I guess I brought it up. If someone convinces me that 3 should be the minimum, I'll go with 3, and if someone convinces me that 2 should be the minimum, I'll go with 2.

During my last challenge, Red Color on Red, I caught a Krabby (at level 15) even though my Charizard and Vileplume were plenty strong enough to duo the rest of the game. I had already obtained 6 badges. I caught the Krabby, and then went to Rock Tunnel and trained him on wilds until he evolved, at which point he soloed Blaine's Gym, and soon after, Giovanni's Gym. However, I beat the Elite Four almost exclusively with Charizard and Vileplume, and I know I could have if I didn't catch the Krabby. As far as Blaine and Giovanni, Charizard had Earthquake, which would have made short work of Blaine's team, and Vileplume was equipped with Mega Drain and Petal Dance for Giovanni. Basically, the Krabby wasn't needed, and didn't really play an important part in me beating the challenge, because the rest of my team could have done it without him. Was I right in catching the Krabby, spending the time training him on wilds, and then using him in Gyms that effectively just took exp away from my other two Pokemon?

Alli
February 14th, 2012, 11:52 AM
I would say that minimum thing is a personal preference. Like how you were saying you don't like using teams of 6, I can't stand having any less than 6 once I'm ready for the E4. I plan out my teams and such before restarting a game and I'm a loser and have teams and movesets written in my notebook and YEAH I'm just a bit silly like that... :( So 6 is my minimum and, obviously, my maximum haha.

I say make more rules. If people can't listen to them, forget them, they don't need to be here. :/
Don't follow the rules, don't get to play.

There was another rule I was considering adding that will be more of a benefit to y'all, but I'll have to ask another mod about their approach to it so I'd know how to keep it in check etc.

Jellicent♀
February 14th, 2012, 11:58 AM
I would say that minimum thing is a personal preference. Like how you were saying you don't like using teams of 6, I can't stand having any less than 6 once I'm ready for the E4. I plan out my teams and such before restarting a game and I'm a loser and have teams and movesets written in my notebook and YEAH I'm just a bit silly like that... :( So 6 is my minimum and, obviously, my maximum haha.

There was another rule I was considering adding that will be more of a benefit to y'all, but I'll have to ask another mod about their approach to it so I'd know how to keep it in check etc.
Oh don't worry, I'm the same exact way with my teams. >->"
(has seven notebooks, most of the pages are old and worn from erasing and re-writing moves and whatnot) I've even planned out the team I'm going to use for my valentine's run I'm doing in Emerald. >->"

Why not ask some of the regular members who frequent this forum, too?

myrrhman
February 14th, 2012, 12:12 PM

Aight, I guess I'll stick to 2. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I think three is needed, I guess I just think 2 is the absolute minimum.

I do that too sometimes when I'm bored! I guess I don't really write them all out, but I certainly plan my exact team and movesets before I start a challenge.

Oh, and I certainly would love a benefit rule! Make it happen, cap'n!

jdthebud
February 14th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I feel ya. And I think we all agree that 1 being the minimum would just be silly. But if its a matter of needed balance, or easiness, I feel like 2 is plenty. Is minimum a person to person basis because of these things, which would make my minimum 2, or is it something more?

It should probably be said now that I've used 2 Pokemon before for runs, and I've caught a 3rd Pokemon before when 2 Pokemon certainly would have sufficed. I don't really know where I stand on this, which is why I guess I brought it up. If someone convinces me that 3 should be the minimum, I'll go with 3, and if someone convinces me that 2 should be the minimum, I'll go with 2.

During my last challenge, Red Color on Red, I caught a Krabby (at level 15) even though my Charizard and Vileplume were plenty strong enough to duo the rest of the game. I had already obtained 6 badges. I caught the Krabby, and then went to Rock Tunnel and trained him on wilds until he evolved, at which point he soloed Blaine's Gym, and soon after, Giovanni's Gym. However, I beat the Elite Four almost exclusively with Charizard and Vileplume, and I know I could have if I didn't catch the Krabby. As far as Blaine and Giovanni, Charizard had Earthquake, which would have made short work of Blaine's team, and Vileplume was equipped with Mega Drain and Petal Dance for Giovanni. Basically, the Krabby wasn't needed, and didn't really play an important part in me beating the challenge, because the rest of my team could have done it without him. Was I right in catching the Krabby, spending the time training him on wilds, and then using him in Gyms that effectively just took exp away from my other two Pokemon?The problem with your example IMO is that you are using the Gen I games, which are riduculously easy to beat in comparison to the later games, considering that the AI is a joke. The later games (Gen III and on) are a lot harder to beat with two pokemon. For example, I can solo the E4 in Gen I with a L60 Pokemon easily, if it has a decent moveset (lol Nidoking L50). Cynthia can be really hard to beat without reviving since her team is so versatile.

As for Gen II, Red can be difficult to beat with a team of two at L60, but a team of 3 at L60 can take him down pretty decently. If yout team of 2 is around L70, Red isn't as hard. However, that assumes your duo has decent moves, and you don't get stuck with Charizard spamming Flamethrower in the sun, lol.

So IMO, Gen I doesn't really apply when I talk about a minimum of three, although you would need a couple decent pokemon (Charizard is a great one, he doesn't really have any counters in the E4 aside from Blastoise and maybe Onix if he survives Earthquake). FireRed would be harder to beat with Charizard and Vileplume because the AI is a lot better.

How about this, Myrrhman? Next time you play a game, deposit your HM slaves before the E4 (unless you already do this). That will make it more challenging because you won't be able to revive your team with them. :)

Enigma
February 14th, 2012, 05:25 PM
A little late to this discussion, but nonetheless, I am here. Personally, my minimum for most challenges is three or four. Four is more common of an amount for me to use, but if my choices for Pokemon are pretty slim, that's when I use three. It bothers me to use only use one or two Pokemon in a challenge, unless it's a solo or duospecies of course. Also, it may be just me, but I like seeing a few different Pokemon in my party. I appreciate the diversity factor as well, but like what was already said, diversity isn't always dependent upon your amount of party members.
So yeah. Three or four for me personally.

myrrhman
February 14th, 2012, 05:44 PM
The problem with your example IMO is that you are using the Gen I games, which are riduculously easy to beat in comparison to the later games, considering that the AI is a joke. The later games (Gen III and on) are a lot harder to beat with two pokemon. For example, I can solo the E4 in Gen I with a L60 Pokemon easily, if it has a decent moveset (lol Nidoking L50). Cynthia can be really hard to beat without reviving since her team is so versatile.

As for Gen II, Red can be difficult to beat with a team of two at L60, but a team of 3 at L60 can take him down pretty decently. If yout team of 2 is around L70, Red isn't as hard. However, that assumes your duo has decent moves, and you don't get stuck with Charizard spamming Flamethrower in the sun, lol.

So IMO, Gen I doesn't really apply when I talk about a minimum of three, although you would need a couple decent pokemon (Charizard is a great one, he doesn't really have any counters in the E4 aside from Blastoise and maybe Onix if he survives Earthquake). FireRed would be harder to beat with Charizard and Vileplume because the AI is a lot better.

How about this, Myrrhman? Next time you play a game, deposit your HM slaves before the E4 (unless you already do this). That will make it more challenging because you won't be able to revive your team with them. :)
Maybe I just need to hurry up and finish the Gen I challenges then. You're probably right, I'll have a harder time with the later games. I've been playing nothing but RBGSC, because the emulator runs them fastest, maybe I should do some RSE or something.

And yeah, I deposit HM Slaves before fighting E4. Either that or I just don't buy revives (you can do that in RB, don't know about the other games.

heLLkitsune
February 16th, 2012, 06:46 AM
I was thinking about a challenge "Monkey see, monkey do!". The major rule of the challenge is: You can't use a Pokemon unless you haven't seen someone using it. For example, in FR/LG the first pokemon you could use (if you battled those trainers of course) would be Weedle,Caterpie, Kakuna, Metapod or your rival's Pidgey, but you can't evolve them further, until you see someone using a Beedrill, Pidgeotto etc. This would give you a nice variety of Pokemon to choose from and also some restrictions. There could be an extra rule that you can't use Pokemon gym leaders use. What do you guys think of this idea, would it be enough "challenging" to become an actual challenge and do you have anything to add?

myrrhman
February 16th, 2012, 10:09 AM
I was thinking about a challenge "Monkey see, monkey do!".The major rule of the challenge is: You can't use a Pokemon unless you haven't seen someone using it. For example, in FR/LG the first pokemon you could use (if you battled those trainers of course) would be Weedle,Caterpie, Kakuna, Metapod or your rival's Pidgey, but you can't evolve them further, until you see someone using a Beedrill, Pidgeotto etc. This would give you a nice variety of Pokemon to choose from and also some restrictions. There could be an extra rule that you can't use Pokemon gym leaders use. What do you guys think of this idea, would it be enough "challenging" to become an actual challenge and do you have anything to add?
You should obviously call it "Mankey see, Mankey do!"
Do you mean You can't use a Pokemon unless you see someone use it?
This would make Brock hella fun. Sand Attack will probably have to save the day.
Damn, this means I can't do it, because I don't know how to not speed button, and they always evolve on accident.
Seeing everyone starting the same and ending different would be pretty cool, actually.
Would it still count if another trainer uses the Pokemon? Like you see Brock's Geodude, but then later in Mt. Moon you see a Hiker's Geodude. Would that count? Also what about Giovanni in Silph? I'm pretty sure that's the only time that you see a Nidoqueen other than the last gym in Red and blue.
I think this challenge is pretty good, actually. And hey, not all challenges have to be pull-your-hair-out-hard.
Nothing else needs to be said here.
Just some pretty colors.

Gulpin
February 16th, 2012, 03:01 PM
I was thinking about a challenge "Monkey see, monkey do!". The major rule of the challenge is: You can't use a Pokemon unless you haven't seen someone using it. For example, in FR/LG the first pokemon you could use (if you battled those trainers of course) would be Weedle,Caterpie, Kakuna, Metapod or your rival's Pidgey, but you can't evolve them further, until you see someone using a Beedrill, Pidgeotto etc. This would give you a nice variety of Pokemon to choose from and also some restrictions. There could be an extra rule that you can't use Pokemon gym leaders use. What do you guys think of this idea, would it be enough "challenging" to become an actual challenge and do you have anything to add?

I think that a pretty cool spin that you could put on this challenge would be to pretty much flip the idea: You can only use Pokemon that you haven't seen other trainers use. The amount of Pokemon that you will have the ability to use would shrink as you make progress in the game. Plus, it can have two different strategies - either play through battling most trainers, limiting the amount of Pokemon you can use or play through skipping as many trainers as possible to keep the amount of Pokemon usable high.

myrrhman
February 16th, 2012, 06:06 PM
I like both of them. Put both in a thread!

jdthebud
February 16th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Alright, my monocolor thread got approved, everyone who's in that, move to that thread, and if you have ever completed it before, post your color and the game you played in the thread and I will add you.

SuperKirbyFan
February 17th, 2012, 06:32 PM

Wait... you're allowed to use HM slaves in a battle??? I've been playing my Weedle solo run under the impression that you can't do that (or are solo runs different?) If you can use slaves, that might make it so I can finally defeat Red!

Gulpin
February 17th, 2012, 07:07 PM
I've always wanted to know what people think of this: When do you think that a challenge should end? When reading through challenges that I might potentially participate in, one of the rules is always when the challenge ends. The one thing that I don't like is that for many challenges they end after you beat the E4 in RBY, RSE, FRLG, and DPPt, which I think is fine, but then for GSC, HGSS, and BW they end after you beat Red or Alder, respectively. I personally think that all challenges should end when the credits of the game roll. Whenever considering doing a challenge on GSC, HGSS, and BW it always discourages me because I see that I would have to continue after the Elite Four and play the postgame to beat Red or Alder, which I think is a lot of work for a challenge.
So my question is when should a challenge end? And should there be a general rule for when all challenges should end?

psyanic
February 17th, 2012, 09:01 PM
So my question is when should a challenge end? And should there be a general rule for when all challenges should end?

Honestly, the challenge ends when you complete the game. That's ambiguous, sure, but it's a general rule of thumb that beating everyone you possibly can in-game is what constitutes as completed. So it's only natural that for HGSS/GSC, you'd have to beat Red, since he is a challenge. What's the point of a challenge if there's still someone left to beat? Also, for Emerald, I see a lot of people requiring you to beat Steven to complete a challenge. In my opinion, that's a lot harder since the Elite Four is only at 58 ish, while Steven jumps up to 75.

On another note, not sure if there's already a thread up on this, but what if there was a challenge where you had to renew your team every gym? Like just dump your party and start fresh?

jdthebud
February 17th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Wait... you're allowed to use HM slaves in a battle??? I've been playing my Weedle solo run under the impression that you can't do that (or are solo runs different?) If you can use slaves, that might make it so I can finally defeat Red!
Well, I don't think HM slaves are allowed, although your Weedle solo might be an exception, lol. Ask Myrrhman about that.
I've always wanted to know what people think of this: When do you think that a challenge should end? When reading through challenges that I might potentially participate in, one of the rules is always when the challenge ends. The one thing that I don't like is that for many challenges they end after you beat the E4 in RBY, RSE, FRLG, and DPPt, which I think is fine, but then for GSC, HGSS, and BW they end after you beat Red or Alder, respectively. I personally think that all challenges should end when the credits of the game roll. Whenever considering doing a challenge on GSC, HGSS, and BW it always discourages me because I see that I would have to continue after the Elite Four and play the postgame to beat Red or Alder, which I think is a lot of work for a challenge.
The reason Red and Alder are the end for those games is because in GSC, beating the E4 is real easy, and otherwise the game would be way too short imo. As for Alder being the final battle in BW, that's because you never beat the champion the first time.

IMO, the challenge ends when you beat the Champion of the game. I actually think that Wallace is a good ending for Emerald, but Red and Alder are the real champions of their respective games.

myrrhman
February 18th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Yeah, I always pictured it as defeating the toughest trainer in the game. So I always beat Steven when I do emerald.

And as for the solos, sometimes I get lazy and don't deposit my HM slaves, but I don't buy revives, so i basically lose either way if my solo Pokemon faints. Some people play that you can switch to HM Slaves to revive/heal your main Pokemon, but I never do. The solo challenge isn't just "deal all damage with one Pokemon" its "only use one Pokemon"

phonastik
February 21st, 2012, 12:12 AM
I was thinking about a challenge where you can only use middle-stage Pokemon. Sure, it seems like an easier version of the unevolved challenge, but there's the Duo-species challenge... Just throwing it out there.

GoGoShinyDunsparce
February 21st, 2012, 02:34 PM
If I am not mistaken in believing I can post challenge ideas on this thread, then here is my idea for a Pokemon Chess Challenge.
So far, rules are as follows:

1) Can only catch the first 15 Pokemon encountered after Pokedex is obtained. Maximum 3 per route, though.
2) Nickname your captured pokemon in order:
- King (starter)
- Pawn x8
- Knight x2
- Bishop x2
- Rook x2
- Queen
3) Starter is the King; if it faints, game is over.
4) If a pokemon faints, release it.
5) Pawns and King cannot be given any items, including potions and TMs (N.B. HM slaves are permitted if progress cannot be made without them).
6) Knights can be healed in and out of battle as needed (excl. Revives/Max Revives).
7) Bishops can be taught TMs and HMs.
8) Rooks can be healed and taught TMs/HMs, but cannot evolve to the final form (middle form is ok).
9) The Queen can be both healed and taught TMs and HMs with no restrictions.
10) If the Queen faints then the first Pawn to OHKO a pokemon that Queen’s level may become a Queen (take it to the Name Changer to formalize the change).
11) Gyms challengers’ levels must be the leader’s strongest level or lower.
12) There must be at least one Pawn on the team at all times, and the King must be on the team at all times as well.
13) If at any time a pokemon is at least 5 levels higher than all others, release it as a penalty (optional).

I would really appreciate any feedback on what might go wrong with a challenge like this, before I try it out myself after my LG Nuzlocke.
Thanks in advance.

heLLkitsune
February 22nd, 2012, 01:05 AM
If I am not mistaken in believing I can post challenge ideas on this thread, then here is my idea for a Pokemon Chess Challenge.
So far, rules are as follows:

1) Can only catch the first 15 Pokemon encountered after Pokedex is obtained. Maximum 3 per route, though.
2) Nickname your captured pokemon in order:
- King (starter)
- Pawn x8
- Knight x2
- Bishop x2
- Rook x2
- Queen
3) Starter is the King; if it faints, game is over.
4) If a pokemon faints, release it.
5) Pawns and King cannot be given any items, including potions and TMs (N.B. HM slaves are permitted if progress cannot be made without them).
6) Knights can be healed in and out of battle as needed (excl. Revives/Max Revives).
7) Bishops can be taught TMs and HMs.
8) Rooks can be healed and taught TMs/HMs, but cannot evolve to the final form (middle form is ok).
9) The Queen can be both healed and taught TMs and HMs with no restrictions.
10) If the Queen faints then the first Pawn to OHKO a pokemon that Queen’s level may become a Queen (take it to the Name Changer to formalize the change).
11) Gyms challengers’ levels must be the leader’s strongest level or lower.
12) There must be at least one Pawn on the team at all times, and the King must be on the team at all times as well.
13) If at any time a pokemon is at least 5 levels higher than all others, release it as a penalty (optional).

I would really appreciate any feedback on what might go wrong with a challenge like this, before I try it out myself after my LG Nuzlocke.
Thanks in advance.
Woah, it's a pretty neat idea you've got there mister. :) it's nice but did I get the 11th rule right: So you can't be overleveled? other than that, that's an awesome idea. You should post it as a challenge.

Alli
February 22nd, 2012, 06:32 AM
I think we had a Chess Challenge long ago actually. Or well, someone had been talking about it. ALSO. I finished my Christian Challenge. :D I'll soon be looking for another challenge to do on Emerald, after I catch all the legendaries to migrate to Platinum so that they can go off to gen V for the Pokedex lol. I might not decide to do a challenge though and instead just run through the game with Pokemon I have never used or haven't used in years. ...I think there's a challenge like that...HM.

vaporeon7
February 24th, 2012, 12:56 AM
I was thinking about a challenge where you can only use middle-stage Pokemon. Sure, it seems like an easier version of the unevolved challenge, but there's the Duo-species challenge... Just throwing it out there.

That wouldn't be too bad. A lot of middle evolution Pokémon are forgotten. It'd be nice to use them once in a while.

560cool.
February 25th, 2012, 01:02 AM
Hey, anyone who was around when I did remember that Platinum favorite challenge of mine ? The one in which I named my Pokemon after you guys ?
...Anyone ?

Well, whatever. Either way, it did what BW didn't do : get me back into Pokemon.
And so did Pokemon Emerald, which I'm doing a normal playthrough of.
And by the way, I lost Pokemon SoulSilver this Summer in Tenerife. :[ Forgot it in the hotel room. I hope whoever finds it has a DS and realizes that it was a Nuzlocke.

Aaaand, who here has a 3DS ? :D

11wildy
February 25th, 2012, 01:05 AM
I got a 3DS :D. And it is a shame you lost your SS, how were you going on that? :(

560cool.
February 25th, 2012, 01:58 AM
I got a 3DS :D. And it is a shame you lost your SS, how were you going on that? :(

Well, I was carrying all my DS games in a DS retail game case. I lent my SS to my little brother since he wanted a Wi-Fi fight. Of course he lost, I was in Ecruteak and was doing a Nuzlocke. When he gave it back to me, I was playing something else and told him to leave it on my bed. I lost it and wasn't able to find it. :(

11wildy
February 25th, 2012, 03:06 AM
Oh that sucks :(. Will you do another Nuzlocke? I am currently doing a Crystal nuzlocke, on the nuzlocke forum, with screenshots and a little bit of a plot :D

560cool.
February 26th, 2012, 05:03 AM
I'm really short of time here... as I said, if I had time, I would, but right now I can't. Oh well... at least I managed to get together and return here. :D

11wildy
February 26th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Well, it's great to have you back here, even though the other people aren't even posting anymore :3

infersaime
February 29th, 2012, 07:28 AM
I had a idea were you playtrough a game using no Items only poké balls are allowed.

Alli
February 29th, 2012, 12:05 PM

I was thinking about that too. There are a lot of great middle evolution Pokemon. :)

560cool.
February 29th, 2012, 01:27 PM
I was thinking about that too. There are a lot of great middle evolution Pokemon. :)

I know, but the first one who comes to my mind is Dragonair. It's probably the only species whose middle evolution I prefer over its last. Don't take me wrong ; Dragonite is awesome too, but it just looks really odd compared to its awesome preevolutions.

Jellicent♀
February 29th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Finally done with my Valentine's Challenge. I've been QUITE bored with Pokemon so now I'm looking for something else to do. I've been thinking about doing one where I can only use Pokemon that evolve a special way other than JUST a stone. Like, i.e. Aipom to Ambipom, or how Snorunt must be female with a Dawn Stone to evolve to Froslass. I might sign up for one of the threads, though.

vaporeon7
February 29th, 2012, 02:03 PM
I had a idea were you playtrough a game using no Items only poké balls are allowed.

I do my Nuzlockes like that, so I just think of this as a Nuzlocke but with less stress and risk.

jespoke
March 1st, 2012, 08:41 AM
Hi everyone...
Im back after an unusually long "Im bored of pokemon" break to what sounds like a rather lazy sub-forum (Or is that just the moderator? :P)
I can't even remember what challenges i was doing, but Im back with a new nuzlocke because i need something to do in the bus, and Ive played the Legend of Zelda Minish Cap through twice in the last 2 weeks :/

Does anyone even remember me? Otherwise: Hello everyone, Im Jespoke! :P

Alli
March 1st, 2012, 09:00 AM
I know, but the first one who comes to my mind is Dragonair. It's probably the only species whose middle evolution I prefer over its last. Don't take me wrong ; Dragonite is awesome too, but it just looks really odd compared to its awesome preevolutions.

No, I totally agree! I love majestic blue snakes with beads on their tails more than I love yellow Barneys with tiny wings. :)

vaporeon7
March 2nd, 2012, 05:27 PM
I can imagine if I did that challenge, I'd use a lot of Pokémon that evolve with a stone, so they don't evolve by accident.

Alli
March 2nd, 2012, 05:55 PM
^ I was thinking that too. Cause getting Everstones can be a pain... -glares at Christian Challenge-

vaporeon7
March 3rd, 2012, 01:03 AM
The Pokémon that won't worry me are:
Clefairy, Eelektrik, Gloom, Jigglypuff, Lampent, Lombre, Nidorina, Nidorino, Nuzleaf, Pikachu, Poliwhirl, Roselia, Togetic, Weepinbell, Boldore, Dusclops, Electabuzz, Graveler, Gurdurr, Haunter, Kadabra, Machoke, Magmar, Porygon2, Rhydon, Seadra and Piloswine.
Too bad half of them get evolutions later...

Jak
March 3rd, 2012, 07:26 PM
Gurrdurr is awesome. :D Also, I have to point out that the member view of this forum is SO much nicer than the mod view. None of those ugly deleted threads, lol. It's so hard to just get around the forum because of all the deleted threads. /guess who lolz

SuperKirbyFan
March 3rd, 2012, 07:36 PM
So I had a thought u guys, if Black 2 and White 2 have a different storyline than regular BW (there has to be a reason they didn't just make Grey) then all our challenges will have to add B2/W2 as a sixth game to be played for ultimates.

jdthebud
March 3rd, 2012, 08:32 PM
So I had a thought u guys, if Black 2 and White 2 have a different storyline than regular BW (there has to be a reason they didn't just make Grey) then all our challenges will have to add B2/W2 as a sixth game to be played for ultimates.Holy crap, I didn't even think about that. Well, the Jap versions are out in July (right?) and the English ones are out in the fall. The good news for all of us challengers involved is that the games are being made for the DS, so we can still use emulators (sigh of relief).