PDA

View Full Version : Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

SuperKirbyFan
March 3rd, 2012, 08:38 PM
Holy crap, I didn't even think about that. Well, the Jap versions are out in July (right?) and the English ones are out in the fall. The good news for all of us challengers involved is that the games are being made for the DS, so we can still use emulators (sigh of relief).

Actually, Japan gets it in June. For us it's Fall. I hate using emulators, so I'll just wait for the DS cartridges to come out here and then get both versions, one for my main file and one for challenges.

Bcat
March 3rd, 2012, 11:16 PM
I did this once in Fire Red; I have no immediate plans on doing it again and publicly chronicling it; though other people may want to. I think this is only possible in newer gen games, as the older ones, simply do not have the strategic depth for one to manage.

Rules:

1. For all gym leaders under level 20; you may not challenge unless your average level is under half of there's.

2. For all gym leaders over level 20; you may not challenge unless you have at least a 10 level disadvantage.

3. You may not use any pokemon over level 30; except, during the Elite Four; AND those pokemon must be 30 or lower when starting (the amount of experienced gained would make it impossible to stay below 30).

That's it. Use strategy over brute force; no grinding, just use low level pokemon.

myrrhman
March 3rd, 2012, 11:43 PM
I did this once in Fire Red; I have no immediate plans on doing it again and publicly chronicling it; though other people may want to. I think this is only possible in newer gen games, as the older ones, simply do not have the strategic depth for one to manage.

Rules:

1. For all gym leaders under level 20; you may not challenge unless your average level is under half of there's.

2. For all gym leaders over level 20; you may not challenge unless you have at least a 10 level disadvantage.

3. You may not use any pokemon over level 30; except, during the Elite Four; AND those pokemon must be 30 or lower when starting (the amount of experienced gained would make it impossible to stay below 30).

That's it. Use strategy over brute force; no grinding, just use low level pokemon.
I mean, as for the Elite Four, you'd just have to get lucky with Evade/Paralyze/Confusehax. Because let me tell you, a lv. 30 Victreebel with Double Team/Growth/Solar Beam/Mega Drain does not seem like a laughing matter if he gets 6 stacks of Double Team and Growth down. Or maybe a Scyther with Swords Dance and Slash. Basically, I the general strategy would just be to Double Team up, then max your Attack/Special, then destroy the other Pokemon with strong, beefed up moves. As for second gen, would there be any leniency for Red? Like say a team of 40's? Because he'd be 30-40 levels higher than you still. Assuming I could make it to Red, I would probably lead with Double Team/Defense Curl/Rollout/Curse Graveler. I'd still be counting on Double Team Hax, but meh. At least I know I can get a couple off on Pikachu.

I think I'm going to try this once I finish the colors on RBY.

Enigma
March 4th, 2012, 01:01 AM
So I had a thought u guys, if Black 2 and White 2 have a different storyline than regular BW (there has to be a reason they didn't just make Grey) then all our challenges will have to add B2/W2 as a sixth game to be played for ultimates.
I thought Ultimates were just based off doing a game in each region.

infersaime
March 4th, 2012, 08:29 AM
I thought a challenge with pokemon you hate. For example I hate quagsire and bibarel so I go do a playtrhough with those two pokemon. But I don't have time now otherwise I have done it. Well it's kinda like the favourite challenge.

Alli
March 4th, 2012, 03:21 PM
I thought a challenge with pokemon you hate. For example I hate quagsire and bibarel so I go do a playtrhough with those two pokemon. But I don't have time now otherwise I have done it. Well it's kinda like the favourite challenge.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=238334

Yeah, you can see how well that fared out...

vaporeon7
March 5th, 2012, 02:16 AM

I don't think I, or many people would have the motivation to go through with a challenge only using Pokémon they hate.

infersaime
March 5th, 2012, 07:48 AM
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=238334

Yeah, you can see how well that fared out...

Oh ok never mind that idea.

vaporeon7
March 6th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Well I decided to do a username challenge as the challenge I do when I have a few free minutes at school. I love the speed button, it makes battling and grinding much quicker. I suppose it's about time I do another challenge where I do quality updates and play slow and stuff.

Daikoru
March 8th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Hello folks! I am looking for a challenge that will offer me a particular opportunity. I Think it can be asked here?

The goal I am looking for is to draw every single pokemon in a "Gijinka" form. Now, I'm certain that will take forever, even more than if it was just the pokemon itself. I also don't want to draw them sooo often that it would take me a whole month until I reach the first badge. I want a more casual rythm. The reason I want it as a challenge is because I know I'd fail at getting myself to work without one.

So, what can you guys propose me? I'd prefer the Challenge to happen on a NDS game, hack or not. I can also use cheats, thought I'd prefer if it is manageable through PokeGen.

I don't think I, or many people would have the motivation to go through with a challenge only using Pokémon they hate.

Actually, when I make a theme, I try as much as possible to pick pokemons I hate or never played. Poltergeist theme: GARBODOR! HECK YEAH! I'd like to have played with every single pokemon once. Heck, someday, I should make a run using only those lame Normal pokemons that we get to meet at the very first route.

myrrhman
March 8th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Hello folks! I am looking for a challenge that will offer me a particular opportunity. I Think it can be asked here?

The goal I am looking for is to draw every single pokemon in a "Gijinka" form. Now, I'm certain that will take forever, even more than if it was just the pokemon itself. I also don't want to draw them sooo often that it would take me a whole month until I reach the first badge. I want a more casual rythm. The reason I want it as a challenge is because I know I'd fail at getting myself to work without one.

So, what can you guys propose me? I'd prefer the Challenge to happen on a NDS game, hack or not. I can also use cheats, thought I'd prefer if it is manageable through PokeGen.

Actually, when I make a theme, I try as much as possible to pick pokemons I hate or never played. Poltergeist theme: GARBODOR! HECK YEAH! I'd like to have played with every single pokemon once. Heck, someday, I should make a run using only those lame Normal pokemons that we get to meet at the very first route.

What do you mean "draw them so often that it would take a month to reach the first badge? If you wanted to draw all of them, naturally the best idea would be a Catch 'Em All challenge. Basically, you just capture all the Pokemon available in the game. I mean, it would certainly make it easy for you to know which ones you drew, you could just look in your Pokedex. I've done a couple of these, and basically, I just go to a Route and try to catch everyone on the route. When I do that, I move on to a new place. Eventually, I'm just left with a few, and then its pretty easy to just go back and fill in the Pokedex.

"Heck, someday, I should make a run using only those lame Normal Pokemons that we get to meet at the very first route."- There was actually a challenge once upon a time called the First Route Challenge, where that's basically what you did. I mean, you could use anyone on the first Route, but there's really not much to choose from.

Daikoru
March 8th, 2012, 07:19 PM
By "draw them so often that it would take a month to reach the first badge?", I mean of course that I don't just want to capture pokemons as soon as they are available and draw them as soon as I capture them. Using the hack of Blaze Black/Volt White, I'd have done like 30 drawings before the first gym. That's what I mean, I want something more casual, even if it's split into multiple runs.

myrrhman
March 9th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Maybe do a Hall of Fame challenge if you don't mind doing multiple runs? The basic goal is to get all the Pokemon in the hall of Fame, so you basically get a team of 6, then restart once you beat the Elite Four. Its more time consuming, but it sounds like something you might like. You could even just do it to where you only use fully evolved Pokemon instead of doing every single Pokemon.

Alli
March 9th, 2012, 08:36 AM
And to add on to that, you don't have to restart the game over and over. You can use the same file, or opt not to. Depends on the game. In BW, I just kept the same file so that I could have them all listed in my hall of fame. And another thing, there's no thread for this challenge. I kinda just made it up on the fly, and though people have asked me to make a thread or if they could make a thread, I just think it's better off being a personal challenge. The updates usually come far and few in between, and not many people want to do it, so it would fall into inactivity quickly. If you do decide to do it though, since there's no thread for the challenge, feel free to post your updates in a journey journal that corresponds to the game you decide to use.

Daikoru
March 9th, 2012, 08:49 AM
That would be too long. I'm pretty much already doing this every run I do, avoiding pokemons I've already used.

Guess it'd be easier to find a rule if I already set how often I should draw between two badges. Let's say... 3 to 5 drawings between each Gym? Or 1 drawing per 1 or 2 days?

Edit: I'd also like something where I can only use two pokemons of the same specie at the same time, just to say I get to draw the male and female gijinka versions of a pokemon.

Alli
March 9th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Oh, see Myrrh, we're not helping at all cause they actually want to draw Pokemon, lol. There's no challenge that revolves around that, and no matter how many times I read your post, I just can't grasp what you're looking for. I honestly don't see how drawing and doing a challenge have much to do with each other, though. What's wrong with just drawing? No need to play the game and draw at the same time.

Daikoru
March 9th, 2012, 09:13 AM
What's wrong with just drawing? I'm a lazy bastard that can't help but play video games instead of drawing :[ . No one but me can procrastinate without even wanting to do so! Also, if I just draw, I know I'd just start from Bulbasaur and go all the way up in national number order.

An Idea I have is to have short goals that will vary depending on pokemons. Something like participating in Pokemon contests/musicals for certain pokemons, beating certain badges, beat all the trainers in the Sport places. I'd need many goal however, in order to have at least one that fits every pokemon.

EDIT: Think I have an idea. What I could do is cheat to get myself two of a selected pokemon (with only one Move Tutor/Egg Move), a bunch of Rare Candies, and a code to reset Gym Leaders, so that I can fight them as much as I want to and not include the hassle of training them between Gyms. I'd need a way to select pokemons thought.

RE-EDIT: Alright. I got myself settled over a particuliar set of rules.

-The goal of the challenge is kind of a Speed Run using a particular pokemon. The Challenge starts right after I defeat N the first time (With his lame Purloin that crit'd me to death) and ends as soon as the 8th badge has been obtained. I try avoiding as much battle as possible, to make it faster.
-I use only 2 pokemon of the same Specie, at the first evolution. Both are of different genders. Variations may apply if it seems fit (such as Latias/Latios, or a Female Vespiqueen and 3 Combees).
-I draw a Gijinka picture of a pokemon the Gym after I have gotten the pokemon.
-The Pokemon chosen goes in Alphabetical order. That means the first is Abomasnow and Snover.

List of stuff to make it easier:
-A huge stack of Rare Candies, PP Ups and Max Repels. I cannot use a Rare Candy to make my pokemons over 5 levels higher than the Average Trainer. Also, all TMs already hacked in.
-A hacked pokemon, which has many HMs and SoftBoiled. His stats are 800 HP, but 1 of everything else.
-I may manually evolve a pokemon that requires Trading 10 levels after it evolved. If it does not evolve before, then I may make it evolve at level 25.

Rules of Pokemons:
-A Pokemon may start with 31 IVs everywhere and 510 EVs already set, in order to head toward a particular strategy.
-A Pokemon may start with only 1 Egg/Move Tutor/Event Move. It's power may not be over 60.
-After beating the 3rd and 6th Gyms, I may teach my pokemon a TM/Move Tutor/Event Move. It may not have over 80 power for the 3rd Gym.
-It may have any item equipped.

vaporeon7
March 10th, 2012, 04:17 AM
What's wrong with just drawing? I'm a lazy bastard that can't help but play video games instead of drawing :[ . No one but me can procrastinate without even wanting to do so! Also, if I just draw, I know I'd just start from Bulbasaur and go all the way up in national number order.

An Idea I have is to have short goals that will vary depending on pokemons. Something like participating in Pokemon contests/musicals for certain pokemons, beating certain badges, beat all the trainers in the Sport places. I'd need many goal however, in order to have at least one that fits every pokemon.

EDIT: Think I have an idea. What I could do is cheat to get myself two of a selected pokemon (with only one Move Tutor/Egg Move), a bunch of Rare Candies, and a code to reset Gym Leaders, so that I can fight them as much as I want to and not include the hassle of training them between Gyms. I'd need a way to select pokemons thought.

RE-EDIT: Alright. I got myself settled over a particuliar set of rules.

-The goal of the challenge is kind of a Speed Run using a particular pokemon. The Challenge starts right after I defeat N the first time (With his lame Purloin that crit'd me to death) and ends as soon as the 8th badge has been obtained. I try avoiding as much battle as possible, to make it faster.
-I use only 2 pokemon of the same Specie, at the first evolution. Both are of different genders. Variations may apply if it seems fit (such as Latias/Latios, or a Female Vespiqueen and 3 Combees).
-I draw a Gijinka picture of a pokemon the Gym after I have gotten the pokemon.
-The Pokemon chosen goes in Alphabetical order. That means the first is Abomasnow and Snover.

List of stuff to make it easier:
-A huge stack of Rare Candies, PP Ups and Max Repels. I cannot use a Rare Candy to make my pokemons over 5 levels higher than the Average Trainer. Also, all TMs already hacked in.
-A hacked pokemon, which has many HMs and SoftBoiled. His stats are 800 HP, but 1 of everything else.
-I may manually evolve a pokemon that requires Trading 10 levels after it evolved. If it does not evolve before, then I may make it evolve at level 25.

Rules of Pokemons:
-A Pokemon may start with 31 IVs everywhere and 510 EVs already set, in order to head toward a particular strategy.
-A Pokemon may start with only 1 Egg/Move Tutor/Event Move. It's power may not be over 60.
-After beating the 3rd and 6th Gyms, I may teach my pokemon a TM/Move Tutor/Event Move. It may not have over 80 power for the 3rd Gym.
-It may have any item equipped.

I can't see that as being much of a challenge. From what I skim read, you get to have powerful Pokémon and skip through most of the game with Rare Candies?

It also seems I forgot that I have to wait for Fisherman Wilson to call me on the Pokégear to get Remoraid in Gold. I'll just leave VBA on for a while... hehehehehe
Now I'll just hold off on progressing a bit till someone else posts in the Username Challenge thread...

Daikoru
March 10th, 2012, 07:36 AM
I have only two Pokemons who shares the same weakness (Abomasnow got 7 weaknesses!). Rare Candies is only to skip through training in order to make the game faster (I don't want to take weeks for a single run, like I usually do). I know not to abuse of them anyway, I'd rather a strategic fight than a OHKO battle. Also, the Pokemons only have full EV and IV, like they were aimed for competitive Gameplay.

I'm actually thinking of just forgetting about Move Tutors moves, in order to limit even more my move choices and make less hassle if I would choose to get a Move Tutor move in the middle of the game.

Alli
March 10th, 2012, 08:26 AM
It also seems I forgot that I have to wait for Fisherman Wilson to call me on the Pokégear to get Remoraid in Gold. I'll just leave VBA on for a while... hehehehehe
Now I'll just hold off on progressing a bit till someone else posts in the Username Challenge thread...

He called me on Gold the other day like...right after I registered him and said there were Remoraid. lol That never happens when I actually WANT one! I had to wait a while to continue my Tier Challenge because Eevee wouldn't evolve, and I wasn't about to go on without Psybeam for Espeon. No sir.

Daikoru, I wish I could help you, but...lol I just can't make sense of what you're wanting to do. You know, whatever challenge you do doesn't necessarily have to have a thread. You can just make it a personal challenge, and if you want somewhere to post the updates for it, use a journey journal. That's really all I can say...I'm so lost with what you're trying to accomplish.

Daikoru
March 10th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Yeah, I sometimes like to complicate stuff. But that's alright. I already got the challenge I wish to do, and in fact, already started it. Took myself two Snovers, an offensive one with Avalanche, and a defensive one with Leech Seed. And they're totally underleveled currently!

Now, to design a male Snover Gijinka. Hmmm...

vaporeon7
March 10th, 2012, 11:30 AM
He called me on Gold the other day like...right after I registered him and said there were Remoraid. lol That never happens when I actually WANT one! I had to wait a while to continue my Tier Challenge because Eevee wouldn't evolve, and I wasn't about to go on without Psybeam for Espeon. No sir.

I'm annoyed at myself because my Eevee evolved before it learnt Bite. I suppose Espeon will just have to sweep with Psychic.

Alli
March 10th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I managed to get Bite, so I'm glad I got that, but I almost got stuck going through the harder parts of the game without a STAB move, and that would have been terrifying lol. I got my Teddiursa to evolve and catch up with the team as well, so I guess today has been productive, however I don't feel like playing Gold anymore today. I might play Emerald here in a bit. I've also been reading up on how to RNG, so lol maybe I should learn a new skill.

vaporeon7
March 10th, 2012, 01:32 PM
I managed to get Bite, so I'm glad I got that, but I almost got stuck going through the harder parts of the game without a STAB move, and that would have been terrifying lol. I got my Teddiursa to evolve and catch up with the team as well, so I guess today has been productive, however I don't feel like playing Gold anymore today. I might play Emerald here in a bit. I've also been reading up on how to RNG, so lol maybe I should learn a new skill.

You should definitely try and learn to RNG at some point, it's a great skill to have. I don't feel like playing a 3rd gen game atm, I'll just stick with G/S/C for a while, they're always so enjoyable.

SuperKirbyFan
March 12th, 2012, 11:25 AM
I thought Ultimates were just based off doing a game in each region.

I'm pretty sure that's only because there's only one "unique" game for each region (example: Red/Green/Blue/FireRed/LeafGreen/Yellow all have the same storyline). If it worked the way you're saying, then wouldn't Kanto be optional in Gen 2?

Anyways, the real reason I'm posting is because Black and White 2 are confirmed to have a new and original storyline, so it looks like Ultimates will be 6 games long now.

Alli
March 12th, 2012, 11:37 AM
You should definitely try and learn to RNG at some point, it's a great skill to have. I don't feel like playing a 3rd gen game atm, I'll just stick with G/S/C for a while, they're always so enjoyable.

I'm probably going to find my parameters some time later today, or tomorrow since I've got more free time. But yeah, hopefully I don't lose my motivation to learn it. And I'm playing Gold now, lol. I've gone quite a while without an update on my Tier challenge, and it bothers me when I don't update for so long. So I'm grinding and gonna go beat Claire later and then update.

Anyways, the real reason I'm posting is because Black and White 2 are confirmed to have a new and original storyline, so it looks like Ultimates will be 6 games long now.

Thank goodness I don't do ultimates...lol :(

vaporeon7
March 12th, 2012, 12:20 PM
I'm pretty sure that's only because there's only one "unique" game for each region (example: Red/Green/Blue/FireRed/LeafGreen/Yellow all have the same storyline). If it worked the way you're saying, then wouldn't Kanto be optional in Gen 2?

I'm not doing the 6th part of any Ultimates that I have already finished. I will do it on B2/W2 when it comes out on any new ones I start though.

Also lol at the people on tumblr believing that I didn't beat Blue in 3:09. The next Get-together's Challenge Royalle will hopefully give me a better time (if we have one).

Alli
March 12th, 2012, 12:32 PM
I HATE MY GBA. Grinding attempt failed twice. I switched to my GBA since my SP needs to charge and I don't feel like getting in a position to where I can play it while it's charging. So the cartridge accidentally hits my laptop after I've grinded Ursaring and I'm at Ampharos. Okay. Fine. No problem. Reset. I was catching up with Ursaring, AGAIN, and I PRESSED THE START BUTTON and it reset. -throws GBA- :| I'll wait on my SP to charge.

Jellicent♀
March 12th, 2012, 12:53 PM
^ Reason why I use an emulator.

Also, would BW2 really count towards a sixth game for ultimates? I mean, as far as we know it's still in Unova, regardless of a new storyline. While we're at it, why weren't a lot of other remakes added as games to the ultimate rule? FR/LG have a whole new location added on to it and such and HG/SS have a few new pieces to it as well. Emerald runs along the border of being included (in my mind) since it deals with both Magma and Aqua and has an entirely different layout as the first two games.
idk, honestly I think adding BW2 would be unnecessary to me. Plus, I really don't want to have to do my pink monochromatic challenge on a sixth game. Dx

Alli
March 12th, 2012, 01:17 PM
I don't like emulators, haha. I have ROMs of all gen I - III games, just in case something happens, but still, I prefer to play on the real things...for as long as I can, in gen I and II's case. :(

vaporeon7
March 12th, 2012, 01:18 PM
^ Reason why I use an emulator.

Then you have the problem of the emulator crashing. But at least there is the speed button to make grinding less painful.

SuperKirbyFan
March 12th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Also, would BW2 really count towards a sixth game for ultimates? I mean, as far as we know it's still in Unova, regardless of a new storyline. While we're at it, why weren't a lot of other remakes added as games to the ultimate rule? FR/LG have a whole new location added on to it and such and HG/SS have a few new pieces to it as well. Emerald runs along the border of being included (in my mind) since it deals with both Magma and Aqua and has an entirely different layout as the first two games.
idk, honestly I think adding BW2 would be unnecessary to me. Plus, I really don't want to have to do my pink monochromatic challenge on a sixth game. Dx

This game has an entirely new storyline. It is not a remake. FRLG is the same storyline as RBY, except that you have to go to the first 3 Sevii Islands. HGSS is almost the same as GSC, except for minor things like being forced to fight the Kimono Girls.

Alli
March 12th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Now that I think about it, I think I agree with Jellicent on the B2W2 thing not counting towards ultimates. When I think of someone doing an ultimate challenge, I think that they're going to play through one game for each main game region, so it's more region based than storyline. Since B2W2 are still in Unova, either they or BW could be used as the 5th gen part of the ultimate challenge.

vaporeon7
March 12th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Now that I think about it, I think I agree with Jellicent on the B2W2 thing not counting towards ultimates. When I think of someone doing an ultimate challenge, I think that they're going to play through one game for each main game region, so it's more region based than storyline. Since B2W2 are still in Unova, either they or BW could be used as the 5th gen part of the ultimate challenge.

My opinion has changed. I agree with Syd now because it's like if you do your ultimate challenges with Orre, then you only use Colosseum or XD, not both, even though they have different storylines.

SuperKirbyFan
March 12th, 2012, 07:41 PM
My opinion has changed. I agree with Syd now because it's like if you do your ultimate challenges with Orre, then you only use Colosseum or XD, not both, even though they have different storylines.

That's the way it works? I had thought you did both Colosseum and XD. I guess even if BW2 doesn't count as a 6th game for ultimates nothing is stopping me from challenging that game anyway.

Jellicent♀
March 12th, 2012, 08:21 PM
That's the way it works? I had thought you did both Colosseum and XD. I guess even if BW2 don't count as a 6th game for ultimates nothing is stopping me from challenging that game anyway.

Oh no I understand completely what you're saying. I just meant as a general rule, it be a regional thing. By all means put us to shame and complete every game. xD
I just meant for my lazy butt for it to not count as a sixth game.

myrrhman
March 12th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Ugh, not a 6th already! I'm too lazy now to do a 5th, I don't need any new gens.

And I always saw each leg of an ultimate as "introducing a new region to the main series of Pokemon." With it comes all the new Pokemon you can choose from, and a new set of gyms to fight. True, there are a few differences between GSC and HGSS, but the gyms are almost the same. As for why not stop at the Elite Four in GSC, some challenges do. I always thought that it was more like "beat the best trainer you could in the game", and RBY would be different from GSC because you start out so differently, have such a different selection of Pokemon to choose from, etc.

SuperKirbyFan
March 12th, 2012, 10:28 PM
As for why not stop at the Elite Four in GSC, some challenges do. I always thought that it was more like "beat the best trainer you could in the game"

Lol, I almost wish you had made the solo challenge end with the Elite 4 in Gen 2 so I wouldn't have to be stuck on Red with my Weedle Solo. What confuses me more about having to fight Red is not the fact that you have to fight him, but why do we have to fight Red in Gen 2 and beat Alder twice in Gen 5, but we don't have to fight Steven in Emerald.

Alli
March 13th, 2012, 08:55 PM
YA BOI CAN RNG IN GEN V YEEEEEEEEEEEE BUDDY

Anyway, when I make challenges, I tend to put them all as "beat the E4 and you're done" lol. :( I hate that some games are longer than others, I also hate the Kanto part of GSC and HGSS (idk why), and I hate fighting Red and Steven. They're not hard, I just hate having to play that long. So when you see a challenge made by me, don't expect to have to go as far as most challenge make you go. Just beat the main game, and I consider you a champion. Cause I'm nice.

vaporeon7
March 16th, 2012, 02:54 AM
Congrats Syd!!!

Anyway I finished my Username Challenge and now am just waiting for someone to post so I can do my final post. Any ideas on my next challenge?

jdthebud
March 16th, 2012, 03:21 AM
Congrats Syd!!!

Anyway I finished my Username Challenge and now am just waiting for someone to post so I can do my final post. Any ideas on my next challenge?

Come to the mono-color thread! More interesting combinations of pokemon you have not seen!

and I'll post for you.

vaporeon7
March 16th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Come to the mono-color thread! More interesting combinations of pokemon you have not seen!

and I'll post for you.

Done! And hopefully I'll have more of a selection than at last years St. Patrick's Day Challenge.

Luigi-San
March 17th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Here's a challenge idea I have:

Pokemon meets Legends of the Hidden Temple! Pick a team, and you can only use Pokemon of the specified Pokedex color and/or Body Style. Here's the list:

http://i.imgur.com/ZXSpT.png
(Note: Orange's color group is Brown due to the lack of an orange group)

Pokemon by dex color: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_color
Pokemon by body style: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_body_style

Thoughts?

myrrhman
March 17th, 2012, 04:39 PM
OHMAHGAWD LEGENDZOFTHEHIDDENTEMPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111one

I love that show so much. I'm going to do all of these if its a challenge.

darkpokeball
March 17th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Erm...I wrote an entire challenge thing and then I realized that I couldn't take part in it. So, here it is if anyone wants to post it:

ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE! Pokemon Challenge:

Rules:

How a pokemon is infected:

A. Another pokemon uses the move Bite or Crunch onit.

B. If your pokemon faints.

C. If a pokemon is poisoned.

D. If your pokemon continually misses, with zero toone accuracy lowering moves(3x in a row or higher), it is a symptom that yourpokemon is infected.

E. If your pokemon is paralyzed, you cannot switchit out. It is paralyzed until it gets to a PokeCenter.

F. No potions. Only PokeCenters can heal you.

G. If you want to catch a pokemon, their healthmust be in green when you catch them. The only status infliction you may causeis Sleep.

H. You must nickname every pokemon you catch.

I. No trades or hacking until challenge is completed.

J. No daycares or rare candies. Every level gainedmust be through battling.

. These are some additional rulesfor those that want an extra challenge:

A. Absorb/Leech Life/Giga Drain/Mega Drain…any movethat inflicts damage on the opponent, while also restoring the users life a bitwill infect your pokemon.

B. The pokeballs the professor gives you at thebeginning are prototypes of an improved heal ball to contain the virus. Assuch, these are the only pokeballs you may use throughout the entire game.

C. The virus is in the air. Every two gyms, flip acoin. If heads, your lowest level pokemon is killed as it is not strong enoughto survive the harsh air. If tails, your highest level pokemon somehow catchesthe virus.

Completion:

R/B/Y/FR/LG: Beat the Elite Four. Extra: Beat/Catch Mewtwo.

G/S/HG/SS: Beat Red.

R/S/E: Beat the E4. Extra: Beat/Catch Rayquaza.

D/P/PT: Beat the E4.

B/W: Beat Alder.

Sign-Up:

Username:

Trainer Name:

Game:

Additional Rules: (Just write A if you’redoing additional rule A or write ALL OF THEM if you’re doing all of them. Youcan do anything, B and C, A and B, B and C…whatever. Just specify.)

Completion: (If you are doing the challengeon R/S/E, R/B/Y/FR/LG then specify if you’re just going to normal completion orthe Extra.)

jdthebud
March 17th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Erm...I wrote an entire challenge thing and then I realized that I couldn't take part in it. So, here it is if anyone wants to post it:

ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE! Pokemon Challenge:So what happens when your pokemon gets infected?

CarefulWetPaint
March 17th, 2012, 10:32 PM
So what happens when your pokemon gets infected?

I was also wondering what happens to the infected pokemon?

Enigma
March 18th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Here's a challenge idea I have:

Pokemon meets Legends of the Hidden Temple! Pick a team, and you can only use Pokemon of the specified Pokedex color and/or Body Style. Here's the list:

(Note: Orange's color group is Brown due to the lack of an orange group)

Pokemon by dex color: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_color (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_color)
Pokemon by body style: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_body_style (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_body_style)

Thoughts?

OHMAHGAWD LEGENDZOFTHEHIDDENTEMPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111one

I love that show so much. I'm going to do all of these if its a challenge.

Exact same feelings as myrrhman here. I don't even care if I have like 200 challenges I need to be doing

Seriously, it's a great idea, Luigi. You should make the thread! :)

vaporeon7
March 18th, 2012, 10:25 AM
ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE! Pokemon Challenge:

Rules:

How a pokemon is infected:

A. Another pokemon uses the move Bite or Crunch onit.

Yes... what?

Also what about moves like Bug Bite, Ice/Thunder/Fire Fang, Poison Fang and the other biting moves?

That is not the only thing I can find wrong with that challenge.

darkpokeball
March 18th, 2012, 03:52 PM
To answer the above:
-If a pokemon is infected, you must release it. If you keep a zombie pokemon on your team, then it might affect others.

-I completely forgot abut those moves. Yes, Bug Bite, Hyper Fang, Super Fang, the biting moves will all infect.

vaporeon7
March 19th, 2012, 03:56 AM
To answer the above:
-If a pokemon is infected, you must release it. If you keep a zombie pokemon on your team, then it might affect others.

-I completely forgot abut those moves. Yes, Bug Bite, Hyper Fang, Super Fang, the biting moves will all infect.

I think the challenge is way too confusing to be honest and most people will be turned off by all of the confusing rules. Also, the use of 5 Pokéballs is far too challenging, especially when that gives you a max of 6 Pokémon per challenge, which the chance of the weakest being killed off every two gyms.

darkpokeball
March 19th, 2012, 03:00 PM
I think the challenge is way too confusing to be honest and most people will be turned off by all of the confusing rules. Also, the use of 5 Pokéballs is far too challenging, especially when that gives you a max of 6 Pokémon per challenge, which the chance of the weakest being killed off every two gyms.

Thanks for the feedback! But the weakest being killed of every two gyms is an additional rule for those that want the ultimate challenge. You end up with two pokemon if you do it. But anyways, can you tell me what rules strike you as confusing? I will try to modify them to clear them up.

Enigma
March 22nd, 2012, 01:42 PM
Well, I've prepared myself for Spring Break already; I've made two notepad files full of teams and games for challenges. I'm not sure how many I'll actually get done within a week, though. I've been mentally timing myself on some of my recent challenges to see approximately how fast I can play through a game of each generation, given time just to sit down and play without many disruptions.

Anyone else prepare a boatload of challenges for their break, or am I just that crazy?

Alli
March 22nd, 2012, 09:46 PM
No, you're not alone. I plan on working on my challenges and RNGing some stuff. I'm only doing two challenges right now, cause I feel bad when I do too many and get distracted by other stuff and don't update. But yeah, I'll be working on mine and can hopefully get some updates in on both of them. tbh, I wanna get back into normal runs a bit, and experiment with weird movesets. idk, not many challenges I like that are up right now.

That in mind though, if anyone's submitted a challenge in the past week and it hasn't been approved, sorry about that. I'm on a dloa (obviously) and I think I'm the only staff member that understands this forum...lol. So yeah. If that's the case though, you can hold your horses till the 29th and everything will be spiffy again. And if you can't wait, then put on a diaper in case you pee on yourself in anticipation.

OHHH. And I'm delving into my little mind trying to think of a good event. It's been a crazy year and I haven't had time to post any, and I didn't want repeat events like the St. Patrick's Day event from last year. This event won't have anything to do with the Get Together this year though, don't worry. ...Or worry. Whichever you want.

Enigma
March 24th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Myrrhman gave me the inspiration to start 'combining' my challenges. I've always thought about doing it, but I never actually needed to do so until now, since I have like hundreds of challenges to do. Hundreds of challenges sounds intimidating, but after combining some, it should almost cut that amount it half. Within my notepad files, I have one for monocolors and one for monotypes, and I can actually combine a lot of them. Because the Monocolor Challenge says ultimates have to go in order, I have to skip around a little with my monocolors, but I figure it'll all be alright and okay in the end.

As of now, I've planned the order of my next twenty challenges or so. (If you don't like seeing a magician reveal her challenge plans tricks, then don't click the spoiler)
I plan on doing my Ultimate Bug Monotype up to generation 4, then play Platinum with a team that will satisfy the requirements for both my Ultimate Flying and Ultimate Bug Monotypes (since I'm up to gen 4 with my Flying mono), as well as my Yellow Monocolor, and then complete both Monotypes after playing gen 5.
After that, I'll do Ultimate Ghost up to gen 4, where I'll play with a purple ghost-type team, so that it'll also count for my Purple Monocolor. I'll finish my Ultimate Ghost and Ultimate Purple on gen 5. After that, I'll do my Ultimate Water Monotype, and with the teams I've planned out, that ultimate will also count as a Ultimate Blue Monocolor. That's as far as I've gotten for now. Phew.

myrrhman
March 26th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Yeah, its just a shame that I already did the monotypes when I got to colors. Colors combine well with Monotypes. I got stuck doing Gym Leader/ Elite 4 challenges while I did monotypes.

Enigma
March 27th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Yeah, its just a shame that I already did the monotypes when I got to colors. Colors combine well with Monotypes. I got stuck doing Gym Leader/ Elite 4 challenges while I did monotypes.
I counted, and just by going through the all the monocolors, I end up doing at least 25 monotypes as well. I'm really glad I decided to wait on the monotypes. I should try to find a way to combine my TCG Challenges with something else, but that might be a bit difficult unless I decide to do something like mono-body types.

jdthebud
March 28th, 2012, 03:30 PM
lol at thread title change. Score one for Went. What are you gonna do, Syd? Payback time is now.

On the topic of combining challenges, I don't really care about it. I don't really put any effort into it. My focus is having fun, and if that means using a slightly different team than before, then it's all good.

vaporeon7
March 28th, 2012, 06:35 PM
OHHH. And I'm delving into my little mind trying to think of a good event. It's been a crazy year and I haven't had time to post any, and I didn't want repeat events like the St. Patrick's Day event from last year. This event won't have anything to do with the Get Together this year though, don't worry. ...Or worry. Whichever you want.

The next event should be Swablu/Altaria solo challenges or Swablu/Altraia mono-species runs, seeing as it is the challenge mascot and everything :3c

Alli
March 28th, 2012, 07:35 PM
You're only saying that cause u mad I'm RNGing Swablu for the challenge. XD It's only fair though! You stole my sheepy, so I will take fluffy challenge bird. :)

lol at thread title change. Score one for Went. What are you gonna do, Syd? Payback time is now.

Payback is Went having to deal with my constant reporting in my forums. XD I can get REAL payback when I'm back on staff. ;)

Edit: Ah, revenge is sweet, you guys.

Enigma
March 30th, 2012, 10:12 PM
On the topic of event ideas, I was thinking about an event for Cinco de Mayo. Ludicolos for everyone

Oh, and new thread title made me lol.

Alli
March 31st, 2012, 08:59 AM
I was thinking of one for summer, but you saying that gave me a whole new idea. btw, next event will likely be in June. The Save the Pokemon event last year was in May when everyone had finals and I felt bad because not a lot of people finished or had the time to do it lol. :(

vaporeon7
March 31st, 2012, 11:32 AM
I was thinking of one for summer, but you saying that gave me a whole new idea. btw, next event will likely be in June. The Save the Pokemon event last year was in May when everyone had finals and I felt bad because not a lot of people finished or had the time to do it lol. :(

Which is when I'll have mid-year exams...

Well I think I have plenty of time to do challenges now, being confined to a bed for a month and such.

Bidoof
March 31st, 2012, 09:24 PM
So.. heres my idea, probably thought of long ago but i want the feed back xD dont be harsh btw xD

Challenge: you gotta beat the gym leaders with the pokemon they have and the E4 with the pokemon of the champion.

Also. when is the next Sydian-Made challenge XD

Alli
April 1st, 2012, 07:50 PM
There was one similar, I think. Wasn't there a challenge at one time where you had to use the same type as the gym leader? For E4, you just use Pokemon you've used in gym fights, if memory serves. And next Sydian-made challenge will be in June. Well, that's events anyway. Never know when I decide to make a non-event challenge haha.

And Vappy, I feel so bad for you, I really do. :( I am gonna try to think of something I can do for you. Can't guarantee it'll be much, but I just feel like I should do something, cause all my Swablus are special. :( And I don't like it when one of them is sick.

Bidoof
April 1st, 2012, 08:39 PM
Ahh! well thank you very much Sydian! i look forward to your next challenge!

vaporeon7
April 2nd, 2012, 10:57 AM
And Vappy, I feel so bad for you, I really do. :( I am gonna try to think of something I can do for you. Can't guarantee it'll be much, but I just feel like I should do something, cause all my Swablus are special. :( And I don't like it when one of them is sick.

Really? For me? Thank you so much. I just need to decide on some challenges to do right now. I think I'll have one where I do really quick and easy updates for and another that I do long detailed updates for. Maybe a Swablu solo or something, that'd be entertaining.

Alli
April 3rd, 2012, 12:54 PM
Speaking of Swablu, that on I did for the RNG club I think I'll rename to Challenges because lololol. :)

vaporeon7
April 3rd, 2012, 02:21 PM
For my Swablu solo should I play until I can catch one or hack one at the start. Also what should I name it?

bewbs
April 3rd, 2012, 02:22 PM
Use level 1 pokemon against the elite four. I would love to do that, but don't have a tragedy.

Alli
April 4th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Just hack one in, because that's three gyms without a Swablu and that'd be a lot of catching up to do when you finally do get one.

infersaime
April 6th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Hey Sydian this probarly a mod's only thing I'm going to ask but is there a way to acces the archive with all of the old challenges threads that you can't find just in the challenges forum?

jdthebud
April 6th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Hey Sydian this probarly a mod's only thing I'm going to ask but is there a way to acces the archive with all of the old challenges threads that you can't find just in the challenges forum?
You can change the date range of the forum to "From the beginning", and that gives you every page of every thread ever created. the default date range is a month.

Go to the Display Options at the bottom of the forum and you'll see drop down menu boxes.

Alli
April 6th, 2012, 12:23 PM

What JD said should work. Or did you mean challenge threads made before the challenge forum was made? Also, old challenge events are archived in the FAQ. Just make sure you're not reviving these older challenges when you find them, please.

infersaime
April 6th, 2012, 12:29 PM
What JD said should work. Or did you mean challenge threads made before the challenge forum was made? Also, old challenge events are archived in the FAQ. Just make sure you're not reviving these older challenges when you find them, please.

I wouldn't revive them ;) thanks.

Alli
April 6th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Just making sure! :) btw for future reference, even if you think it's a "mod's only" kind of question, feel free to ask. Can't hurt to find out, cause there's not too much stuff, at least in this forum, that's mod only info. Except right now because I will be working on some new things for this forum tomorrow. :3

infersaime
April 6th, 2012, 12:53 PM
All right thanks for the info I found only one challenge that interested me.

Alli
April 6th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Hm? Which one was it? I'm curious. Is it mine?

infersaime
April 7th, 2012, 05:50 AM
It was this one: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=222566

Chibi Et Random
April 7th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Will we have an Easter Event this year?

Alli
April 7th, 2012, 07:23 AM
We will not. I had originally planned on it, but instead of an Easter event, you're all getting an Easter Challenge Forum makeover that I'll be working on soon hopefully. The next event will be in June.

Enigma
April 7th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I'm liking the new changes I'm reading about in the announcement. Especially the double post and thread revival changes. :D

Alli
April 7th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Yay, I'm glad! The thread revival I think would help. :) I was gonna go through the forum and bump up the ones that are now saved by that rule and to better acknowledge the new rules, but idk I was afraid you guys would think I was spamming, and no one wants a spammy mod. XD The double post thing I added kinda last minute actually. I didn't think about it till I was editing the rules today. I hope it doesn't confuse anyone tbh.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting on someone to post a challenge that gets deleted...that sounds mean though haha.

vaporeon7
April 7th, 2012, 03:44 PM
I'm also liking the new changes to the Challenge forum. I think the two months and double post changes are great though because one of the main turn offs of the not as popular challenges is that they are inactive and that it is likely that it would die with me as the last poster, but now that is much less an issue.

Alli
April 7th, 2012, 03:55 PM
^ Actually, after that post, I think I'm going to edit the double post rule to where it's the last poster that can double post after a month, instead of the last poster being the OP. I think that will work better. Thanks for posting that even though you probably didn't mean for that to happen haha.

Enigma
April 8th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Hope all my fellow challengers had a happy Easter. :)

On the actual topic of challenges, I'm disappointed that I couldn't finish at least one ultimate during my Spring Break. :l I was expecting to have a lot more time until I was given five writing assignments. That being said, I can't wait for summer. I either want to finish my remaining solos or do all of the monocolors or monotypes. With two months until vacation begins, I do have a lot of time for time management planning.

Alli
April 9th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Don't feel bad. :( At most, I did like two gyms in my Emerald challenge. That's it. And nothing on Gold. I did a good bit of RNGing though, so I mean, spring break wasn't totally in vain, but you know, I wish I had played Gold a bit. I'm at a point where I'm just grinding so it's like...I don't really wanna play. XD

Chibi Et Random
April 11th, 2012, 05:32 AM
I really need to get back on challenges
Any suggestions?

The Doctor
April 11th, 2012, 05:41 AM
I really need to get back on challenges
Any suggestions?

Take on mine :) The Triple Threat Challenge :)

SnowpointQuincy
April 11th, 2012, 03:34 PM
I had a challenge idea. IT's not so much hard as it is completionist.

The Catch 'em All Challenge

1. Must Catch all pokemon in an area before moving on to the next. (exclude Feebas, season locked, or other anomalies)

2. Your Team must be caught in Premier Balls. (including HM Slaves) (Legendarys can be used if you get them in a premier ball.)

3. Give Every Pokemon you catch a fun nickname

4. The Challenge is over when you catch every pokemon in your Regional Pokedex.

:15:

Alli
April 11th, 2012, 03:39 PM
I think we had that once. As much as I love Premier Balls though, well, considering you have to buy Pokeballs in bulks of 10 just to get one, that'll get tedious and drain money, especially early on, even if you resell the Pokeballs and other things. Cause thinking about RSE, there are a LOT of Pokemon early in the game.

SnowpointQuincy
April 11th, 2012, 03:50 PM
well.... only your team of 6 would need premier balls. So, it would limit you two one or two pokemon at first. then you get more money. And, you will need to buy balls in bulk to catch them all.

However, the logistics of having enough money to buy enough balls for every pokemon early on is a really good question to consider.

vaporeon7
April 14th, 2012, 10:14 PM
I still haven't started my Swablu solo on Ruby yet, I've just been feeling so unwell in hospital that it's hard to do anything. I suppose I'd better plan out what moveset Swablu will have. Right now I'm thinking Sing, Ice Beam, Aerial Ace and Return. I think Magneton will make me cry... lol.

Enigma
April 15th, 2012, 10:45 AM
I still haven't started my Swablu solo on Ruby yet, I've just been feeling so unwell in hospital that it's hard to do anything. I suppose I'd better plan out what moveset Swablu will have. Right now I'm thinking Sing, Ice Beam, Aerial Ace and Return. I think Magneton will make me cry... lol.
Things are never as scary when you're overleveled. c:

Argh, I'm not going to have any time for challenges until probably next week or the week after. I've went a week without doing one and it feels odd.

Alli
April 15th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I'm guessing Swablu can't use Flamethrower like Altaria? /too lazy to check

Inferno is right though. Nothing's scary when you're 34 levels ahead of things, lol. And that tends to happen in solo runs.

infersaime
April 20th, 2012, 06:20 AM
I thaught of a challenge where you catch every pokemon you encounter and you have to rotate your team all the team so that highest leveled pokemon and the lowerest leveled pokemon has a level difference of 20 or less.

Alli
April 22nd, 2012, 05:34 AM
Looks like someone's been messing with the title again...hmm.

myrrhman
April 23rd, 2012, 12:31 AM
Myrrh's checking back in!

How is everybody? I'm good; I've been incredibly busy with life. Finals are 2 weeks away, I started dating someone at the beginning of this month, and I decided to marathon Heroes (and just finished earlier today). Also weekends are hectic because we have AT LEAST one party a weekend. So, I haven't found much time for Pokemon.

When I have found time for Pokemon, its been in hack form. I started attempting to make a hack with a couple of my friends; I'll be doing the mapping and the storyline and stuff, got one that will be doing any spriting I need, another doing the scripting, and a third making some new music. I haven't done a Pokemon Challenge in ages; I've been doing some Fire Emblem and FFTA challenges though (lol).

So, what's going on with everyone else? Everyone ready for summer break?

jdthebud
April 23rd, 2012, 01:51 AM
Myrrh's checking back in!

How is everybody? I'm good; I've been incredibly busy with life. Finals are 2 weeks away, I started dating someone at the beginning of this month, and I decided to marathon Heroes (and just finished earlier today). Also weekends are hectic because we have AT LEAST one party a weekend. So, I haven't found much time for Pokemon.

When I have found time for Pokemon, its been in hack form. I started attempting to make a hack with a couple of my friends; I'll be doing the mapping and the storyline and stuff, got one that will be doing any spriting I need, another doing the scripting, and a third making some new music. I haven't done a Pokemon Challenge in ages; I've been doing some Fire Emblem and FFTA challenges though (lol).

So, what's going on with everyone else? Everyone ready for summer break?lemme know if you need testers, I'll be happy to help out with the hack.

Good to see you back, and hopefully your life keeps getting better.

Alli
April 23rd, 2012, 06:46 AM
Ew you'e leaving us for...them. jk. lol I've been RNGing more than working on my challenges...however most of the stuff I RNG is for the RNG Club's challenges, SO IN A SENSE, I am still doing challenges. ;)

vaporeon7
April 23rd, 2012, 01:27 PM
Ew you'e leaving us for...them. jk. lol I've been RNGing more than working on my challenges...however most of the stuff I RNG is for the RNG Club's challenges, SO IN A SENSE, I am still doing challenges. ;)

Same here Syd, that means I'm still doing challenges too :3
But now the holidays are over and I'm back at school :(

Alli
April 23rd, 2012, 02:12 PM
Gee, I'm done after Friday. Funny how things work like that haha. I was thinking of restarting the Pick Up and Play Challenge, but with different modes if anyone is interested. For those that don't know what that challenge is, you play a different main game each day and just pick up where you left off, whether that last time you played it was a week ago or 3 years ago. But like I said, there are some changes and modes I'd like to add to make it less tedious and more easy to, for lack of a better phrase, pick up and play.

And then event in June! And I think GT9 is in June. idr. :( Not sure if I want to do Challenge Royale again for GT or something completely different. Hmm hmm hmm.

北海道
April 23rd, 2012, 03:30 PM
Gee, I'm done after Friday. Funny how things work like that haha. I was thinking of restarting the Pick Up and Play Challenge, but with different modes if anyone is interested. For those that don't know what that challenge is, you play a different main game each day and just pick up where you left off, whether that last time you played it was a week ago or 3 years ago. But like I said, there are some changes and modes I'd like to add to make it less tedious and more easy to, for lack of a better phrase, pick up and play.

And then event in June! And I think GT9 is in June. idr. :( Not sure if I want to do Challenge Royale again for GT or something completely different. Hmm hmm hmm.

Maybe something that allows everybody to win?
Like Challoween or the last Christmas challenge?
Although thinking of something to fit in the GTX would be a bit hard ...

Alli
April 23rd, 2012, 04:36 PM
Everyone won at Christmas because I was away for a week while the challenge was still going and I asked smods to help me keep track of that thread while I was gone for the week, but none of them did. And I was just too tired to go through the thread and see which members got the required amount of badges, so everyone got an emblem. idr what I did about Challoween. But I'd like to get back on track of the "if you don't complete it, you don't get it" thing because I hate when people enter events just for an emblem and expect it for doing absolutely nothing. It's kinda lazy...gotta earn them. :(

As for GT, you'll get an emblem for just participating. Well last year, we had some people sign up and I'd never hear from them again, so they didn't get an emblem. Cause that thing was a team effort and they let their team down. That in mind, that's what messed up Challenge Royale last year. I think I ended up giving the winning emblems to those that won their category despite what team they were on. And those that tried got the Swablu emblem. That's the main reason I'd like to think of something else for GT. But yeah, it's hard to come up with something in this section that you can collaborate with others on.

vaporeon7
April 23rd, 2012, 07:21 PM
As for GT, you'll get an emblem for just participating. Well last year, we had some people sign up and I'd never hear from them again, so they didn't get an emblem. Cause that thing was a team effort and they let their team down. That in mind, that's what messed up Challenge Royale last year. I think I ended up giving the winning emblems to those that won their category despite what team they were on. And those that tried got the Swablu emblem. That's the main reason I'd like to think of something else for GT. But yeah, it's hard to come up with something in this section that you can collaborate with others on.

I was glad that you only gave the emblems to the people who actually did something in the Challenge Royale because with all the effort and hard work it took to get a good time, it would've been really annoying for people to get a winner emblem because of what I did. I still like the idea of the challenge where you try and have the least amount of Pokémon seen on your Pokédex as possible. With that it could still be a competition, but if people forget or don't finish, the challenge doesn't fall apart.

Alli
April 23rd, 2012, 07:33 PM
I was glad that you only gave the emblems to the people who actually did something in the Challenge Royale because with all the effort and hard work it took to get a good time, it would've been really annoying for people to get a winner emblem because of what I did. I still like the idea of the challenge where you try and have the least amount of Pokémon seen on your Pokédex as possible. With that it could still be a competition, but if people forget or don't finish, the challenge doesn't fall apart.

That is interesting, actually. I'll keep that in mind! :) Of course, if anyone has any suggestions, I'm completely open to them. However I'd rather wait a while before everyone starts tossing suggestions left and right since I don't wanna forget and I want them to be fresh on my mind. But yeah, that works. Though, if someone doesn't participate, meaning they have no Pokemon in their Dex at all, it wouldn't be fair to the team that has everyone playing, since they'll have a disadvantage.

Now that I think about it, the people that signed up and didn't play were people that weren't challenge regulars. Not saying non-challengers are all bad, but it just leads me to believe non-regs will just join because GT is ALL about free emblems. lol :(

SuperKirbyFan
April 23rd, 2012, 09:11 PM
It's probably just me being dumb, but what does GT mean? Are you guys referring to the holiday challenges?

Xander Olivieri
April 23rd, 2012, 09:30 PM
Wait...we could have gotten emblems for those two? Oh wow....now I'm mad I couldn't complete either of them.

myrrhman
April 23rd, 2012, 09:45 PM
Like a team thing?
It's probably just me being dumb, but what does GT mean? Are you guys referring to the holiday challenges?
GT is get together. This year is #9 (i think).

I think it would be cool to have like a scavenger hunt type thing (sorta), where like the OP posts something like first to send me a LeafGreen screenshot with a level 20 pokemon gets a point. You could also do stuff like: take a screenshot at the Mosdeep Pokecenter, get a Pokemon that knows Drill Peck, get a Chimecho, etc. You could even do different games to lessen the chance of someone getting lucky and like overtraining and getting to level 40 and then you having a "mission" saying 'get to level 42'.

vaporeon7
April 24th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Like a team thing?

GT is get together. This year is #9 (i think).

I think it would be cool to have like a scavenger hunt type thing (sorta), where like the OP posts something like first to send me a LeafGreen screenshot with a level 20 pokemon gets a point. You could also do stuff like: take a screenshot at the Mosdeep Pokecenter, get a Pokemon that knows Drill Peck, get a Chimecho, etc. You could even do different games to lessen the chance of someone getting lucky and like overtraining and getting to level 40 and then you having a "mission" saying 'get to level 42'.

It could be in teams or singular.

That sounds like a really cool idea actually, the only problem I can think of though is if someone doesn't have access to a game or something, but I still really like it.

myrrhman
April 24th, 2012, 12:14 AM
It could be in teams or singular.

That sounds like a really cool idea actually, the only problem I can think of though is if someone doesn't have access to a game or something, but I still really like it.

We could maybe just have it limited to one game from Gen 1, one from Gen 2, one from 3, and one from 4 then. Not make any hunts that would be version exclusive. Or do make them version exclusive, just for less points?

Another potential flaw is that it would really encourage emulator use, since screenies would be mandatory. But it feels like (at least to me) that most people here have access to emulators, and if they do, then its not hard to get one or two games if you're missing them.

北海道
April 24th, 2012, 05:30 AM
This is GT10 iirc, well, at least that's what I remember from the archives
Anyhow, @Syd when I said a challenge that anybody can win I meant something like, one that everybody can complete (and win)
But that's my inferiority complex speaking though

Alli
April 24th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Well I don't think they're that hard to complete, especially challenges where you just have a certain criteria to meet with your team such as Challoween or the Christmas event. You have a lot of good options available.

We could maybe just have it limited to one game from Gen 1, one from Gen 2, one from 3, and one from 4 then. Not make any hunts that would be version exclusive. Or do make them version exclusive, just for less points?

Another potential flaw is that it would really encourage emulator use, since screenies would be mandatory. But it feels like (at least to me) that most people here have access to emulators, and if they do, then its not hard to get one or two games if you're missing them.

Oooohhhhh I like this too. Quit making me excited lol. :(

Also it's GT9 this year. If you look in the FAQ, there's an event archive and Challenge Royale is listed as a GT8 event.

myrrhman
April 24th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Well I don't think they're that hard to complete, especially challenges where you just have a certain criteria to meet with your team such as Challoween or the Christmas event. You have a lot of good options available.

Oooohhhhh I like this too. Quit making me excited lol. :(

Also it's GT9 this year. If you look in the FAQ, there's an event archive and Challenge Royale is listed as a GT8 event.

We should start planning it now then. So we can make it real good.

And why would I look at the FAQ? That would take effort.

jdthebud
April 24th, 2012, 11:00 AM

And why would I look at the FAQ? That would take effort.oh you lazy...

By the way, I would really like a chance to be a part of running the gt9 challenge event if possible. At least I think I can help with setting it up/picking a challenge.

vaporeon7
April 24th, 2012, 12:42 PM

And why would I look at the FAQ? That would take effort.

I'd love to also be a part in running the challenge event in the GT9 this year, so if you need any help/guinea pigs...

Alli
April 24th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Can we please worry about this after finals week @_@

myrrhman
April 24th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Can we please worry about this after finals week @_@

A good trainer can handle himself under pressure. Syd. We need to do this RIGHT NOW.

Alli
April 24th, 2012, 01:56 PM
After finals and after I help a friend cope with a loss? :/ K? K...

vaporeon7
April 29th, 2012, 12:57 AM
After finals and after I help a friend cope with a loss? :/ K? K...

Fine, but we will bombard you with plans as soon as that finishes.

Jobrjo
May 3rd, 2012, 05:11 AM
The Ultimate Multi-Type Challenge!

Basically this: You have to beat the game with all of your Pokemon being dual-types and having moves that don't match either type nor each other.
For example, let's say one beat the game with a Venusaur, Charizard, Butterfree, Beedrill, Pidgeot, and Fearow. It would have to be something akin to this:

Venusaur :~: Double-Edge, Earthquake, Rock Smash, Sunnyday
Charizard :~: Dragon Claw, Shadow Claw, Slash, Solar Beam
Butterfree :~: Psybeam, Poison Powder, Stun Spore, Safeguard
Beedrill :~: Rage, Assurance, Agility, Solar Beam
Pidgeot :~: Sand-Attack, Twister, Agility, U-turn
Fearow :~: Assurance, Agility, Drill Run, U-turn

Each of those Pokemon are dual-types. Each of their moves are both different from their user's types, as well as different from each other. It would basically be a challenge to cover many, many more types than usual. Each Pokemon would cover 6 types. Amazing.

Your thoughts? I may not do it, but I'd find it rather fun :D

vaporeon7
May 3rd, 2012, 05:21 AM
The Ultimate Multi-Type Challenge!

Basically this: You have to beat the game with all of your Pokemon being dual-types and having moves that don't match either type nor each other.
For example, let's say one beat the game with a Venusaur, Charizard, Butterfree, Beedrill, Pidgeot, and Fearow. It would have to be something akin to this:

Venusaur :~: Double-Edge, Earthquake, Rock Smash, Sunnyday
Charizard :~: Dragon Claw, Shadow Claw, Slash, Solar Beam
Butterfree :~: Psybeam, Poison Powder, Stun Spore, Safeguard
Beedrill :~: Rage, Assurance, Agility, Solar Beam
Pidgeot :~: Sand-Attack, Twister, Agility, U-turn
Fearow :~: Assurance, Agility, Drill Run, U-turn

Each of those Pokemon are dual-types. Each of their moves are both different from their user's types, as well as different from each other. It would basically be a challenge to cover many, many more types than usual.

Your thoughts? I may not do it, but I'd find it rather fun :D

I made a 'no STAB' challenge, which is essentially this a while ago and it wasn't popular. You could still make it, but that was just my experience. (The challenge was also very tedious for me as well xD)

Alli
May 3rd, 2012, 07:40 AM
So in trade corner chat, we came up with an awesome idea that kinda makes challenges and trade corner collaborate. p awesome. Not sure if we'll actually do it, but I'll talk to the mods and see if it can be an option for Get Together, but if not, it could replace the June event I thought of.

myrrhman
May 3rd, 2012, 10:53 AM
Care to explain, master syd?

Tetiro
May 3rd, 2012, 11:31 AM
I had this idea whilst deciding my team for HeartGold once I get it. As we all know, by the end of the game almost all the time we have 6 pokemon. Now my challenge is that final 6 are the only pokemon you can have. Here's how it would work (I'm going to be testing this challenge when I play HeartGold)

Rule Ideas

You declare the 6 pokemon for the challenge. These pokemon are the final team when you beat the toughest player in the game. You are allowed 1 Ditto outside your team for breeding purposes unless your team already has a Ditto.
Once a Pokemon joins your team, it can't leave. The only exception is Ditto for breeding.
Once all 6 slots are filled, you can't replace the team members.
Due to all games have a starter, that starter must be in your team.
You can add a pokemon to your team the moment it's available in the game or any time after that moment. For example, you can add a Pikachu to your team in FireRed in Viridian Forest and from that point onwards.
No game trading allowed (Moving pokemon between games). Ruins the point of the challenge.
Legendaries are allowed. But be warned as by the point you can capture them in the game, you'd need at least 1 free team slot.
Apart from game trading, you can use anyway to gather pokemon (Gifts, Catching, Ingame trading, Prizes, etc).

Let me give an example. The first 3 team members of my final pokemon team are the following.

Feraligator
Jolteon
Dragonite

Now at the beginning, I would acquire Totodile who evolves into Feraligator at Professor Elm's. However Dratini and Eevee aren't found at the beginning as Dratini is acquired in Goldenrod by the Game Corner and Eevee is acquired from Bill in Goldenrod. So I until Goldenrod city, I would only have Totodile. Therefore I would have to get up to Goldenrod city with Totodile. In Goldenrod, I would have to acquire Dratini and Eevee to add them to my team. From that point, I'd have 3 pokemon in my team.

Anywho, I'd like feedback on this challenge idea

Alli
May 3rd, 2012, 12:11 PM
That sounds like a normal playthrough for me, honestly, just with a few tweaks. Not really liking it as a challenge. That's not a hard thing to do. :/

Care to explain, master syd?

It's kind of a rough draft type deal, cause we didn't work out the kinks, but I'll ask them later. The downside is that you'll need wifi though. We can work out an alternative for older games or ROM players later. But basically, you start off the game like normal and obtain a team of 6 by the 3rd gym. After you defeat 3 gyms, you trade your entire team with someone else. After the next gym, you do the same, but not with the person you traded with before. You can't trade with someone you've already traded with. After you defeat the game, you'll get your original team back and see what became of them. We don't necessarily need Trade Corner collaboration for this, but it'd be nice. Like I said, I'll talk to TC mods about this. There could be other alternatives to it. We shall see.

SuperKirbyFan
May 5th, 2012, 02:14 PM
That sounds like a normal playthrough for me, honestly, just with a few tweaks. Not really liking it as a challenge. That's not a hard thing to do. :/

It's kind of a rough draft type deal, cause we didn't work out the kinks, but I'll ask them later. The downside is that you'll need wifi though. We can work out an alternative for older games or ROM players later. But basically, you start off the game like normal and obtain a team of 6 by the 3rd gym. After you defeat 3 gyms, you trade your entire team with someone else. After the next gym, you do the same, but not with the person you traded with before. You can't trade with someone you've already traded with. After you defeat the game, you'll get your original team back and see what became of them. We don't necessarily need Trade Corner collaboration for this, but it'd be nice. Like I said, I'll talk to TC mods about this. There could be other alternatives to it. We shall see.

I really like this idea, and would probably want to try it out.

Alli
May 5th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Oh, that's great to hear. :) I was afraid everyone would like...punch me. Like I said, I need to work out options for people that don't want to use BW or DPPT/HGSS. But emulator trading is allowed, so that might work? And I also wanna go over this with trade mods and see if this can be a forum collab. Though if we're gonna make it a collab, we could change it to where you recieve a random team from a trader (all in eggs) and use those. kekeke.

jdthebud
May 5th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Oh, that's great to hear. :) I was afraid everyone would like...punch me. Like I said, I need to work out options for people that don't want to use BW or DPPT/HGSS. But emulator trading is allowed, so that might work? And I also wanna go over this with trade mods and see if this can be a forum collab. Though if we're gonna make it a collab, we could change it to where you recieve a random team from a trader (all in eggs) and use those. kekeke.
how would those with emulators participate?

myrrhman
May 5th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I love this idea, and am very curious to see how those with emulators could do it.

I have an idea, that could potentially work. Once everyone gets their three badges, they save the ROM and somehow send the SAV file to the moderators or a small board of whoever's running the event. Once the mod has all the SAV files, he/she/they TGBdual/VBAlink trades all the Pokemon to the appropriate person. Then, he just sends the SAV file back to the person who is doing the challenge.

It would take a lot of organization to make sure that the right ROM gets to the right person, but I think it shouldn't be too awful...

vaporeon7
May 5th, 2012, 04:44 PM
I love this idea, and am very curious to see how those with emulators could do it.

I have an idea, that could potentially work. Once everyone gets their three badges, they save the ROM and somehow send the SAV file to the moderators or a small board of whoever's running the event. Once the mod has all the SAV files, he/she/they TGBdual/VBAlink trades all the Pokemon to the appropriate person. Then, he just sends the SAV file back to the person who is doing the challenge.

It would take a lot of organization to make sure that the right ROM gets to the right person, but I think it shouldn't be too awful...

OMG if you could do it like this Syddy, that would be amazing. I don't want to do it on my actual games though because I won't ever start a new game in them. But if it's possible, Myrrh's idea sounds perfect.

Alli
May 5th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I was just about to say that that idea sounds perfect. However, I am not skilled with emulators, and personally, I'd use a real cartridge since I like keeping my challenge Pokemon. But I do think that'll work. :) As long as we have a good explanation of how to do it and good leadership and honest participants, I don't think it should be hard. Let's just hope the people from last year don't enter. Plus, with this kind of event, we don't have winners and losers (I really dislike competition to be quite honest with you) and as long as you attempt it, even if your trader might fail you, you still get your prize for your efforts.

vaporeon7
May 5th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Is there a way we can filter out some of the potential "just signer-upers" out of the challenge? The only thing I can think of is having a requirement of having done X amount of challenges beforehand, but then again, that excludes potential new challenge regulars from participating.

Alli
May 5th, 2012, 06:43 PM
That and I really wouldn't feel like sifting through the challenges they've done to see if they were active. But I think, if we run into that kind of problem, they could find someone else to trade with, and if not, I can be the designated person to go to, or something like that. Thinking about this more, we don't necessarily need Trade Corner collaboration, but me and Blade thought it'd be fun. However, I'd only really want reputable traders, because like with the "i want the emblem" challengers, there are traders that are...blah. lol

myrrhman
May 5th, 2012, 08:39 PM
I was just about to say that that idea sounds perfect. However, I am not skilled with emulators, and personally, I'd use a real cartridge since I like keeping my challenge Pokemon. But I do think that'll work. :) As long as we have a good explanation of how to do it and good leadership and honest participants, I don't think it should be hard. Let's just hope the people from last year don't enter. Plus, with this kind of event, we don't have winners and losers (I really dislike competition to be quite honest with you) and as long as you attempt it, even if your trader might fail you, you still get your prize for your efforts.

I would be glad to help. I am quite well versed in Emulator use. This is quite exciting now.

Alli
May 5th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Since you came up with that great suggestion, I was gonna ask you to do so anyway haha. I'm really hoping this goes over better than last year's event. It wasn't bad, but it was pretty rough, which is why I didn't wanna do it again. Icky.

Though, idk why they make Get Together last like...three days. They always end up extending it. They might as well make GT last at least a week. lmao

myrrhman
May 5th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Yeah, a week would be fantastic. Its not like we're using any resources that cost us extra the longer we keep it going. Plus, a week is just a good, even time to do stuff.

Also, when is the gettogether this year? Last year it was in Mid July, if I remember correctly, because I was in the hospital, and I got out the 22ndish. And then I went back for completely unrelated reasons. Last summer was not good for my health.

Alli
May 6th, 2012, 03:12 PM
tbh, I'm not sure. A planning forum usually appears when it's closer and you can post your draft for your event in there to be approved. I haven't heard any admins talk about it either, so idk. Probably mid-July again?

vaporeon7
May 7th, 2012, 04:01 AM
I think a week is like needed for challenge events. Especially if I end up working on those days, it'll be very hard to make time for it. Also Roxanne was hell in my Swablu solo challenge. X-Attack and Sing ftw.

The Doctor
May 7th, 2012, 04:13 AM
Hating my "Set" challenge at the moment. I don't raise full teams, I never have raised a full team ever. The most i've ever used is 4 pokemon. I don't like full teams. For the sole reason that there is never enough trainers to grind on, especially in Kanto.

vaporeon7
May 7th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Hating my "Set" challenge at the moment. I don't raise full teams, I never have raised a full team ever. The most i've ever used is 4 pokemon. I don't like full teams. For the sole reason that there is never enough trainers to grind on, especially in Kanto.

Really? I always use full teams because then it gives me the chance to use even more Pokémon which almost always makes it funner! You can always train on wild Pokémon so the only real annoying thing is HMs.

Alli
May 7th, 2012, 07:45 AM
I can't stand not having a full team, or well, at least ending the game with one. I'll usually catch what I want on my final team and only train those till I meet my next member, then the next, and eventually all my spots are filled. I use the Slowflake method lol. I don't use repels, I battle all the wild Pokemon, I battle all the trainers, I don't train things that don't need to be trained, etc. So it leaves out grinding in most games, which is nice.

SuperKirbyFan
May 7th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Lol, I hate having a full team. In Pearl I had a team of 6, and everyone was underleveled. Then I discovered how amazing it was to have a partial team in HeartGold, where I had 4. Then in Black I had 2. I actually really enjoyed it, because you could level your guys faster to get the good moves, and you can bring HM slaves in the empty slots.

Alli
May 7th, 2012, 09:57 AM
I've done trio and duo challenges before, and I loved that I didn't have to grind, but I didn't like the lack of variety on my team. I find 5 workable, but it ends up bugging me in the long run haha.

myrrhman
May 7th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Full teams are such a pain. I'm used to beating games with 1 to 3 Pokemon tops. Anymore is just a waste of exp.

I was thinking: Each person starts with their original team and goes 3 badges in. Then there are a total of 6 trades, until they get their final team for the E4. So, it would be nice if we had multiples of 6 people doing the challenge. It would make it nice and easy to keep organized. So would we rather have like 5 people standing by and have them fill in space as needed, or would we rather just wing it and try to make everything work?

Double also, I think it would be a good idea to take this for a test run before we actually do it for the Get Together. Try to work out all the kinks and stuff so we don't mess something up when it matters. Good idea yes?

The Doctor
May 7th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Can I be a part of the Get Together helping comitee or something? And yeah, full teams = waste of exp. I think 3 is the magic number ;)

jdthebud
May 7th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Full teams are such a pain. I'm used to beating games with 1 to 3 Pokemon tops. Anymore is just a waste of exp.

I was thinking: Each person starts with their original team and goes 3 badges in. Then there are a total of 6 trades, until they get their final team for the E4. So, it would be nice if we had multiples of 6 people doing the challenge. It would make it nice and easy to keep organized. So would we rather have like 5 people standing by and have them fill in space as needed, or would we rather just wing it and try to make everything work?

Double also, I think it would be a good idea to take this for a test run before we actually do it for the Get Together. Try to work out all the kinks and stuff so we don't mess something up when it matters. Good idea yes?
Nice idea. Count me in. I guess we should put together a "challenge" post for it?

Also, because we're trading, experience is boosted, right? So it wouldn't be as much of an issue. Although all I have are emulators...

Alli
May 7th, 2012, 12:09 PM

Multiples of 6 would be good yeah. Hopefully if anything gets out of line though, either me or you could handle it, me for real copies and you for ROMs. A test run would be a good idea, my only concern is that once people do the challenge, they'll be less fired up to do it for GT, unless we only allow a certain number of people that we know will end up doing the actual GT run. Guinea pigs kekeke. If you want, we can work on a rough draft for the test run via PM.

Can I be a part of the Get Together helping comitee or something? And yeah, full teams = waste of exp. I think 3 is the magic number

I kinda hate when people ask this, tbh. It makes me feel bad, because I know I can't pick all of you to help with it, plus I haven't really worked with you much in the past like I have with Myrrh. I appreciate it, but no thanks.

The Doctor
May 7th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Don't worry thats fine, just wanted to know so I could plan my time.

myrrhman
May 7th, 2012, 01:35 PM
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="2"]

Multiples of 6 would be good yeah. Hopefully if anything gets out of line though, either me or you could handle it, me for real copies and you for ROMs. A test run would be a good idea, my only concern is that once people do the challenge, they'll be less fired up to do it for GT, unless we only allow a certain number of people that we know will end up doing the actual GT run. Guinea pigs kekeke. If you want, we can work on a rough draft for the test run via PM.

Yeah, PM away. And I too was thinking about just having some of the regulars test it (maybe just like one set of 6 or something?) to make sure it works out and everything. I could totally see something happening like one gym is a lot shorter than the others and we need to combine them or something (Such as Red and Blue, between the 7th and 8th Gyms) (Gold and Silver, between the 5th and 6th Gyms) (Ruby and Sapphire, between the 4th and 5th Gyms)), and we might want to just combine that with the previous or next gym length. Also, we would need to select a game I guess.

vaporeon7
May 7th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Yeah, PM away. And I too was thinking about just having some of the regulars test it (maybe just like one set of 6 or something?) to make sure it works out and everything. I could totally see something happening like one gym is a lot shorter than the others and we need to combine them or something (Such as Red and Blue, between the 7th and 8th Gyms) (Gold and Silver, between the 5th and 6th Gyms) (Ruby and Sapphire, between the 4th and 5th Gyms)), and we might want to just combine that with the previous or next gym length. Also, we would need to select a game I guess.

If you guys do a test run on an emulator, I'd be happy to be a guinea pig. I think we should do either a generation II because of all the trade evolution Pokémon in it.

Enigma
May 13th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Gah, I wish that rl things wouldn't cause me to randomly poof from PC for long periods of time. :l Anyway, since school is pretty much wrapping up now, I should be around more often and getting back into the swing of challenges pretty soon.

Now I'm really glad I made that list of challenges and whatnot a month or so ago. Just so I can remember where I left off.

vaporeon7
May 14th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Gah, I wish that rl things wouldn't cause me to randomly poof from PC for long periods of time. :l Anyway, since school is pretty much wrapping up now, I should be around more often and getting back into the swing of challenges pretty soon.

Now I'm really glad I made that list of challenges and whatnot a month or so ago. Just so I can remember where I left off.

Good to see you're back!

This Swablu solo is very interesting. I'm really annoyed about its Hidden Power. I was hoping for fire, electric, ground, fighting or something and I ended up with flying... so there's no extra coverage there.

Alli
May 14th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Ohhhh that sucks. I had a similar problem with a Pokemon before. I can't remember which one it was though. All I know is that it was Flying with Flying HP. I wasn't too thrilled. lol

vaporeon7
May 14th, 2012, 02:21 PM
I'm worried about Steven's Metagross, I think I'm going to have to spam X Attacks while Skarmory is out and hope for the best. This is one of the few times where I have ever used battle items actually.

SuperKirbyFan
May 14th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Ohhhh that sucks. I had a similar problem with a Pokemon before. I can't remember which one it was though. All I know is that it was Flying with Flying HP. I wasn't too thrilled. lol

I'm worried about Steven's Metagross, I think I'm going to have to spam X Attacks while Skarmory is out and hope for the best. This is one of the few times where I have ever used battle items actually.

I like how u guys are just Jolteon and Vaporeon, makes me want to switch my avatar to Flareon. Battle Items are amazingly helpful for soloing with a weak pokemon, I couldn't have gotten anywhere near as far as I have with Weedle without them. When I fought Steven I used 6 X Attacks and around 4 X Defends I think. Skarmory was just hitting for almost nothing each turn so I didn't have to worry about that. He was super-effective against me too, he won't even have that against you. Also, use Dire Hit. It doesn't really seem like it would help but every time I use it I get multiple critical hits in a battle, it's kind of ridiculous.

Alli
May 14th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Yes, those X items are really useful for those kinds of challenges. I haven't done a solo with something that weak, but I did do a challenge where I had an UNOWN. So...it was needed...badly...

vaporeon7
May 16th, 2012, 04:53 AM
I ended up using a few X items against Steven in my Swablu solo. But it feels good to finally have it done!

Enigma
May 16th, 2012, 05:19 PM
I ended up using a few X items against Steven in my Swablu solo. But it feels good to finally have it done!
Congrats! Speaking of challenges, I think I'll be getting back to them on Friday. Well, I have one challenge in particular that I have to work on before all the others. ;)

A thread title dedicated to me? Aww, thanks. x)

11wildy
May 17th, 2012, 01:17 AM
About the Hidden power thing, same happened to me, also Flying on a flying type. it was a Gyarados 8). It pretty much KILLED everything with HP Flying and Dragon dance!

vaporeon7
May 17th, 2012, 01:27 AM
Now I have to think of another challenge for me to do during class... any ideas?

Also happy birthday for yesterday Inferno!

Alli
May 17th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Yeah I'll leave the title for a little longer since I changed it so late, haha. And HP Flying on Gyarados in gen II or III is nice since it's physical STAB, so you lucked out there. XD

vaporeon7
May 17th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Yeah I'll leave the title for a little longer since I changed it so late, haha. And HP Flying on Gyarados in gen II or III is nice since it's physical STAB, so you lucked out there. XD

What will the next title be then? :P

HP can be vital in monotypes as well, I need my HP water on Sunflora in my Grass monotype.

Alli
May 17th, 2012, 02:31 PM
It can be "Klippy Is A Stalker" because he was looking at my challenge and corrected my typos lol. :'(

Tetiro
May 18th, 2012, 05:15 AM
I had another idea for a challenge. Hopefully this idea is better than my previous idea lol. I call it the "Cute" challenge. In this challenge, you can only use pokemon that look adoreable. (For example, out of kanto starters, you can only choose Charmander or Squirtle). You can't evolve Pokemon if their next evolution isn't adorable (For example, you can't evolve a Caterpie into a Metapod. So if you want a Butterfree you have to find it and catch it). Trading between games isn't allowed with the exception of evolving of course. Ingame trading is allowed provided the pokemon you trade is in the challenge.

I best give an example for this. In Red/Blue, you'd only be able to use the following (In total, 39/150)

Charmander
Squirtle
Caterpie
Butterfree
Pikachu
Raichu
Sandshrew
Nidoran(s)
Clefairy
Clefable
Vulpix
Ninetables
Jigglypuff
Wigglytuff
Oddish
Vileplume
Paras
Venonat
Psyduck
Poliwag
Bellsprout
Ponyta
Rapidash
Slowpoke
Slowbro
Seel
Dewgong
Shellder
Chansey
Horsea
Goldeen
Ditto
Eevee
Flareon
Articuno
Dratini
Dragonair
Dragonite
Mew

Again, not too fussed if the idea is rejected, but once again, I'd like feedback as to why if it's rejected

Manila Luzon
May 18th, 2012, 05:34 AM
I've finally nearly finished a challenge. ;o; I haven't in a while. The personality challenge is really hard, given the Pokemon I have to use. ): RED IS SO HARD TO DEFEAT WITH LEVEL 45-55 HATE EVERYTHING ;;;

vaporeon7
May 18th, 2012, 08:23 AM
I had another idea for a challenge. Hopefully this idea is better than my previous idea lol. I call it the "Cute" challenge. In this challenge, you can only use pokemon that look adoreable. (For example, out of kanto starters, you can only choose Charmander or Squirtle). You can't evolve Pokemon if their next evolution isn't adorable (For example, you can't evolve a Caterpie into a Metapod. So if you want a Butterfree you have to find it and catch it). Trading between games isn't allowed with the exception of evolving of course. Ingame trading is allowed provided the pokemon you trade is in the challenge.

I best give an example for this. In Red/Blue, you'd only be able to use the following (In total, 39/150)

Charmander
Squirtle
Caterpie
Butterfree
Pikachu
Raichu
Sandshrew
Nidoran(s)
Clefairy
Clefable
Vulpix
Ninetables
Jigglypuff
Wigglytuff
Oddish
Vileplume
Paras
Venonat
Psyduck
Poliwag
Bellsprout
Ponyta
Rapidash
Slowpoke
Slowbro
Seel
Dewgong
Shellder
Chansey
Horsea
Goldeen
Ditto
Eevee
Flareon
Articuno
Dratini
Dragonair
Dragonite
Mew

Again, not too fussed if the idea is rejected, but once again, I'd like feedback as to why if it's rejected

One big thing I don't like about this idea is if a Pokémon is thought of as cute or not. Everyone has different opinions, for example I find Pidgey to be a cute Pokémon, but it's not on your list and really, any Pokémon can be thought of as cute.

Alli
May 18th, 2012, 08:26 AM
^ Yeah. I unapproved a cute challenge before because people have different ideas of cute. Like in DP when you can only take cute Pokemon for a walk in the park, but that's only like 6 or 7 Pokemon, which of course, there are more than that that are cute.

11wildy
May 18th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I find Spearow a lot cuter than Pidgey, but I guess I'm just different :P. Also, RIOLU<3

Alli
May 18th, 2012, 08:51 AM
I think most Ghost-types are cute, which a lot of people would disagree with haha. :( So see, I would be sad if I can't use my pretty Duskull or a cutie pop Yamask.

myrrhman
May 18th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Yeah, I find Seaking much cuter than like a Caterpie or Venonat. And where's Growlithe? Also, would legendaries be allowed in your challenge? That would further narrow down the list, as would unavailability of some Pokemon (have to choose which starter, Sandshrew and Vulpix aren't in the same version as Oddish, Butterfree/Vileplume aren't in the wild, etc.)

I like the idea for the challenge, but due to varying ideas of 'cute', and the somewhat small pool of Pokemon, I don't really see it as that viable.

As for how to fix the first point, maybe use the list of Pokemon usable in the Petit Cup? Not exactly the same thing as cute, but kind of close...

Tetiro
May 19th, 2012, 01:06 AM
I didn't actually take different opinions into consideration *facepalm*

Could someone describe what a Petit Cup is?

EDIT: Nvm, found out what it is. And actually, that seems like a much better challenge that what I first had in mind. All that needs to be done is follow these rules

No evolutions
Pokemon must be shorter than 6'8" (aka, 2m)
Pokemon must be lighter than 44 lbs (aka, 20kg)

Looking at the bulbapedia page about the Petit Cup, there were 45 pokemon available. Of course I'd include Legendaries if they met the rules. But what do people think about the Petit Cup challenge?

vaporeon7
May 19th, 2012, 03:19 AM
I didn't actually take different opinions into consideration *facepalm*

Could someone describe what a Petit Cup is?

EDIT: Nvm, found out what it is. And actually, that seems like a much better challenge that what I first had in mind. All that needs to be done is follow these rules

No evolutions
Pokemon must be shorter than 6'8" (aka, 2m)
Pokemon must be lighter than 44 lbs (aka, 20kg)

Looking at the bulbapedia page about the Petit Cup, there were 45 pokemon available. Of course I'd include Legendaries if they met the rules. But what do people think about the Petit Cup challenge?

I think that it sounds like a reasonable challenge then except legendaries shouldn't be allowed because it makes them too easy.

11wildy
May 19th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Well, I would just allow legendaries. People who think it is unfair just will not use them, while people who want to still can. It just fits more peoples opinions then.

Alli
May 19th, 2012, 08:58 AM
^ That's what I was thinking to. It bugs me that most challenges don't allow them. I know it's a challenge, but in the cases where you get to pick your teams, it'd be nice if you could at least have one legendary. Like if I did a mono-ice run in Emerald, I wouldn't be able to use Regice. I love Regice, and it's an Ice type, one of the few in the game, shouldn't I be able to use it? Maybe legendaries under a certain BST? idk.

Enigma
May 19th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Now I have to think of another challenge for me to do during class... any ideas?

Also happy birthday for yesterday Inferno!

Thanks. :)

^ That's what I was thinking to. It bugs me that most challenges don't allow them. I know it's a challenge, but in the cases where you get to pick your teams, it'd be nice if you could at least have one legendary. Like if I did a mono-ice run in Emerald, I wouldn't be able to use Regice. I love Regice, and it's an Ice type, one of the few in the game, shouldn't I be able to use it? Maybe legendaries under a certain BST? idk.

I honestly don't know where I stand on this. I usually don't allow legendaries in my challenges unless there is some special case, but I remember doing the Favorite Challenge V2, and I ended up getting to use a Darkrai. It was like a breath of fresh air for me, because I hadn't used a legendary in like any challenges or anything, excluding my 151 solos.

Tetiro
May 19th, 2012, 10:06 AM
I agree with you guys. Why limit Legendaries? We're already having to follow so many rules. Not to mention there are pokemon like Dragonite who trump Legendaries in terms of power and in the challenges where Legendaries are banned, I just go "Fine, I'll mess things up with Dragonite"

Hence why I would always allow Legendaries as in fact, my final teams nowadays never use Legendaries.

Anywho, I've got alot of free time so if no-one sees any problem with the Petit Challenge idea, I'll go through the pokedex looking for the pokemon who qualify.

Enigma
May 19th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I agree with you guys. Why limit Legendaries? We're already having to follow so many rules. Not to mention there are pokemon like Dragonite who trump Legendaries in terms of power and in the challenges where Legendaries are banned, I just go "Fine, I'll mess things up with Dragonite"

I don't think I've ever actually thought about it this way. This brought up an interesting scenario in my mind; what if instead of limiting legendaries, BSTs, like Syd said earlier, became the basis for what was and wasn't permitted to be used? I'm not too good with recognizing/remembering good BSTs off the top of my mind, but I'm pretty sure 600 or something is what pseudo-legendaries are around. Maybe everything over ~600 shouldn't be permitted rather than just legendaries in general.

This also raises the point of "for fun" challenges vs. "serious" challenges. Some people like one style of challenges more than the other. Limits in challenges can tip the balance for determining which is which, and, ultimately, the amount of interest some people have in a challenge or "challenge style".

myrrhman
May 19th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I don't think I've ever actually thought about it this way. This brought up an interesting scenario in my mind; what if instead of limiting legendaries, BSTs, like Syd said earlier, became the basis for what was and wasn't permitted to be used? I'm not too good with recognizing/remembering good BSTs off the top of my mind, but I'm pretty sure 600 or something is what pseudo-legendaries are around. Maybe everything over ~600 shouldn't be permitted rather than just legendaries in general.

This also raises the point of "for fun" challenges vs. "serious" challenges. Some people like one style of challenges more than the other. Limits in challenges can tip the balance for determining which is which, and, ultimately, the amount of interest some people have in a challenge or "challenge style".

I've given up trying to figure out if I like no legendary rules or not. I've done so many challenges that honestly, I see a Starmie/Lapras (Red/Blue) or Alakazam (GSC) more powerful than a legendary with slow exp gain and obtained pretty late in the game. I mean, I've soloed the game with the first 50ish Pokemon (fully evolved), and none of them were TOO awful. I guess what I'm saying is that nobody is really TOO overpowered. If I can solo the game with a Pidgeot, then so what if I can also solo the game with a Mewtwo?

As for fun vs. serious, I know that I do challenges pretty much just for fun, I'll do one here or there when I start to get a little bored. But, that doesn't mean that I'm not serious about the challenge when I start. And yeah, every once in a while I do something that is tougher on the challenge scale, but there are hardly any challenges that are actually hard. With the exception of the survival challenge, maybe. That was just cray. And I'm going to do it sometime.

Meh, ramblings of an old challenger.

d4rka8isz
May 19th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Has there been a challenge where you can only use Pokemon that don't have an evolutionary family? It seems like a simple enough idea for it to be thought of before. Although now I think of it, it seems like a bad challenge since there are few Pokemon that don't have an evolutionary family, let alone one that appears early in the game.

Alli
May 19th, 2012, 03:50 PM
None that I remember. Too bad most Pokemon have evo lines now, huh? Ruins some good candidates. :( lol

myrrhman
May 19th, 2012, 06:24 PM
You could always do it generationwise and not serieswise. So like you could use Tangela in Red/Blue since it doesn't have an evolution yet. Its sort of like you're just trading in some Pokemon that get evolutions for new ones that don't have them yet.

11wildy
May 20th, 2012, 02:43 AM
With the exception of the survival challenge, maybe. That was just cray. And I'm going to do it sometime.

I did it. On Leafgreen. the point is to save after every trainer, so you can reset after any crit, status or other lucky thing. You basically need to plan everything out perfectly. It all ended with me having to use a blaze boosted Overheat from Charizard to Champions Rhydon to OHKO it. And the beginning will probably be worse than late-game, since by then you have more items and flexibility.

jdthebud
May 20th, 2012, 08:53 AM

That's actually an interesting thought with the "over 600 BST" rule. Since most aren't obtainable till late in the game, it might actually be okay power wise, since most of the time the team you have is gonna be about the same level anyway, and they wouldn't have as much EVs either (for those who just play the game regularly). The thing for me is that since they don't evolve their stats are way too good to use early on.

Anyway I think we would have to say only one can be used, and it has to be under 600 bst. That would probably have to be it, since the 600 bst ones are just too powerful with sig moves and stuff IMO.

Legally obtainable legendaries that qualify are:

Kanto has the legendary birds.
Johto, the beasts.
Hoenn, the regis.
sinnoh, the lake trio.
unova, the musketeer trio and thundurus/tornadus.

Also, you can't catch it/use it until you have at least 7 badges. That way you're not just beating up the competition.

What do you guys think? I'm actually thinking about maybe putting this in the monocolor challenge... (just in time for me to use regirock! lol)

Enigma
May 20th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Has there been a challenge where you can only use Pokemon that don't have an evolutionary family? It seems like a simple enough idea for it to be thought of before. Although now I think of it, it seems like a bad challenge since there are few Pokemon that don't have an evolutionary family, let alone one that appears early in the game.

I think I actually remember something like that, but I don't think it lasted too long.

That's actually an interesting thought with the "over 600 BST" rule. Since most aren't obtainable till late in the game, it might actually be okay power wise, since most of the time the team you have is gonna be about the same level anyway, and they wouldn't have as much EVs either (for those who just play the game regularly). The thing for me is that since they don't evolve their stats are way too good to use early on.

Anyway I think we would have to say only one can be used, and it has to be under 600 bst. That would probably have to be it, since the 600 bst ones are just too powerful with sig moves and stuff IMO.

Legally obtainable legendaries that qualify are:

Kanto has the legendary birds.
Johto, the beasts.
Hoenn, the regis.
sinnoh, the lake trio.
unova, the musketeer trio and thundurus/tornadus.

Also, you can't catch it/use it until you have at least 7 badges. That way you're not just beating up the competition.

What do you guys think? I'm actually thinking about maybe putting this in the monocolor challenge... (just in time for me to use regirock! lol)

I already made a list of all of my future teams, so this wouldn't affect me ;_;

I think I'd be pretty okay with this. I'm really happy about gaining access to those legendaries listed from the first 3 gens (the last two I don't really care much about). Which Pokemon were the ones at exactly 600?

vaporeon7
May 21st, 2012, 12:37 AM
If you were to allow legendaries, I guess that it would mean I could use Articuno in an ice mono in R/B/Y.

I kinda want to do another challenge like the Hall of Fame Challenge where I don't have to restart my game.

jdthebud
May 21st, 2012, 02:22 AM
I already made a list of all of my future teams, so this wouldn't affect me ;_;

I think I'd be pretty okay with this. I'm really happy about gaining access to those legendaries listed from the first 3 gens (the last two I don't really care much about). Which Pokemon were the ones at exactly 600?

Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Latios, Latias, Manaphy, Heatran, Shaymin, Cresselia, Darkrai, Victini, Landorus, Genesect, and Meoletta. I think that's all the bst 600 ones.

By the way, psuedo-legaries are still allowed of course ;)

Well, I'm still thinking about it...

Seriously, should I put it in the monocolor thread?

too bad we didn't think about doing this earlier, then I could've used Entei in my brown mono on SS...

Enigma
May 21st, 2012, 07:42 PM
Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Latios, Latias, Manaphy, Heatran, Shaymin, Cresselia, Darkrai, Victini, Landorus, Genesect, and Meoletta. I think that's all the bst 600 ones.

By the way, psuedo-legaries are still allowed of course ;)

Well, I'm still thinking about it...

Seriously, should I put it in the monocolor thread?

too bad we didn't think about doing this earlier, then I could've used Entei in my brown mono on SS...

IMO those listed pokemon should be fine as long as that previously mentioned 7th gym clause is in effect.

jdthebud
May 21st, 2012, 09:54 PM
IMO those listed pokemon should be fine as long as that previously mentioned 7th gym clause is in effect.
Well, none of them can be obtained legally before the end of most challenges, except for Landorus, since they are all either glitched in (Mew, Celebi), event only/traded in (Jirachi, Deoxys, Shaymin, Manaphy, Genesect, Meoletta), or only available in the postgame (Lati@s, Heatran, Cresselia, Darkrai, Landorus), which isn't included in most challenges (B/W is the exception).

So in my mind there wasn't really any point to including them. The ones I listed before are all found before the Elite Four and in all playthroughs. That way those people who play emulators have the same chances of getting them as do those on carts.

Well, I'm still not sure if I should include them or not in the monocolor. Feedback from more people would be nice.

vaporeon7
May 22nd, 2012, 05:06 AM
Well, I'm still not sure if I should include them or not in the monocolor. Feedback from more people would be nice.

You could always do a trial run with the rule for a month or so and see how it goes.

Enigma
May 22nd, 2012, 06:50 PM
Well, none of them can be obtained legally before the end of most challenges, except for Landorus, since they are all either glitched in (Mew, Celebi), event only/traded in (Jirachi, Deoxys, Shaymin, Manaphy, Genesect, Meoletta), or only available in the postgame (Lati@s, Heatran, Cresselia, Darkrai, Landorus), which isn't included in most challenges (B/W is the exception).

So in my mind there wasn't really any point to including them. The ones I listed before are all found before the Elite Four and in all playthroughs. That way those people who play emulators have the same chances of getting them as do those on carts.

I forgot about this. I suppose the ones you originally listed should be just fine then. :)

Like vappy said, you could do a trial run of it for a while to see how it goes. Might bring in some more challengers looking to do their first challenge since it'll probably be a little easier for them.

Halfcadence
May 24th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Hey guys, does anyone know if there's ever been a weight class challenge? Like, using this list (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Weight), only using pokemon from a certain division? Super Heavyweight would be interesting because you'd be limited to Snorlax and Metagross without legendaries. The only major issue I can see would be that a Gen V Super Heavyweight Run would be impossible if hacking wasn't an option for you.

[Edit]: Looking at this closer, it seems like it would more trouble than it's worth. Even if Snorlaxes and Metagrosses were available in Gen V, in all other generation they wouldn't be available till at least halfway through the run.

Alli
May 24th, 2012, 09:36 AM
There was at one point I think, but it's probably died off. You can look around for it. Remember, threads in this forum can be up to two months old before it's considered dead.

vaporeon7
May 24th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Hey guys, does anyone know if there's ever been a weight class challenge? Like, using this list (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Weight), only using pokemon from a certain division? Super Heavyweight would be interesting because you'd be limited to Snorlax and Metagross without legendaries. The only major issue I can see would be that a Gen V Super Heavyweight Run would be impossible if hacking wasn't an option for you.

[Edit]: Looking at this closer, it seems like it would more trouble than it's worth. Even if Snorlaxes and Metagrosses were available in Gen V, in all other generation they wouldn't be available till at least halfway through the run.

I see nothing wrong with the idea, but the problem I have with it is that t doesn't seem very fun to do. All you would be worrying about is Low Kick, Heavy Slam and Grass Knot. That's just my thoughts anyway.

11wildy
May 25th, 2012, 12:39 AM
I once did the random word challenge with the word weight. On Crystal. It came down to me using Gyarados, Mantine, Graveler, Onix and Snorlax. 2 water flying and 2 ground rock ftw! Tbh, Mantine was the best of the team.

LaureTheLoner
May 26th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Ugh I haven't been here forever ;-; all my threads and some other ones I liked are gone and I don't know what challenges to do. I don't have a lot of time to game anymore, so I think I just wanna do some GB/GBC games I can use the speed button on.

I know I'll make a challenge ^_^

jdthebud
May 26th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Ugh I haven't been here forever ;-; all my threads and some other ones I liked are gone and I don't know what challenges to do. I don't have a lot of time to game anymore, so I think I just wanna do some GB/GBC games I can use the speed button on.

I know I'll make a challenge ^_^

do all the monocolors on Gen I and II! :P *shameless plug for own thread*

Welcome back though, it's been a while since we've seen your pretty face.

LaureTheLoner
May 26th, 2012, 09:59 PM
awwww thanks. I'm a loser though and actually just posted another challenge that will hopefully get approved. I don't know if anyone here is a Game of Thrones fan, but it's very similar to the Seasons Challenge I use to have. Cept this time you pick a Noble House, and follow the rules regarding your team.

jdthebud
May 26th, 2012, 10:19 PM
awwww thanks. I'm a loser though and actually just posted another challenge that will hopefully get approved. I don't know if anyone here is a Game of Thrones fan, but it's very similar to the Seasons Challenge I use to have. Cept this time you pick a Noble House, and follow the rules regarding your team.Yes this is awesome! I do wonder how it will work, but I will definitely be looking forward to it.

Halfcadence
May 27th, 2012, 01:52 PM
awwww thanks. I'm a loser though and actually just posted another challenge that will hopefully get approved. I don't know if anyone here is a Game of Thrones fan, but it's very similar to the Seasons Challenge I use to have. Cept this time you pick a Noble House, and follow the rules regarding your team.

Considering my playthroughs so far for my Monocolor runs have included such pokemon as Arya the Fearow (sticking things with the pointy end for days), Syrio the Kabutops (best Water Dancer around), and Dany the Dratini, it should be pretty evident that I'd be 100% down for this. Also, i"m completely new, but welcome back nonetheless?

LaureTheLoner
May 27th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Considering my playthroughs so far for my Monocolor runs have included such pokemon as Arya the Fearow (sticking things with the pointy end for days), Syrio the Kabutops (best Water Dancer around), and Dany the Dratini, it should be pretty evident that I'd be 100% down for this. Also, i"m completely new, but welcome back nonetheless?

Ugh I want that Kabutops. Theon Greyjoy should be represented by a ghost cause hopefully he dies in tonight's episode, though I doubt it.

Anyway a twist to it is since each house has a sigil the pokemon that best represents that sigil must always be #1 in your party, or better not die. If it does you have to continue the game from where you last saved.

11wildy
May 29th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Yeah, welcome back! :D Nice to meet you etc :) And I have no idea what game of thrones is, so I will just continue my mono poison challenge on Pokemon Ruby. Swalot and Roselia are really underrated! Dustox kind of sucks, it needs a lot of exp and it only good for double team/toxic stall. Unless you get the Silver wind boost of course. Any ideas on how I am going to beat Steven? x.x

vaporeon7
May 30th, 2012, 04:28 AM
Okay so I'm going to try and use Desmume and do a challenge on Black, but I don't know if I'll succeed at using them emulator. I thought it was about time to finish my ultimate flying monotype xD

11wildy
May 31st, 2012, 12:20 AM
I got desmume too. It tends to go lag a LOT at random times and it wont stop for a while. Thats why I only play challenges on first 3 games, unless I feel like playing on cartridge

jdthebud
May 31st, 2012, 02:45 AM
no$gba and desmume both work fine for me, I use no$gba (with no$zoomer) for DS games though because I can get higher speeds. Desmume I only use for Pokeathon in HG/SS and for recording my boss fights. And I don't have an amazing comp either, it's a laptop.

LaureTheLoner
May 31st, 2012, 04:16 PM
Oh hey in my mono-color I just got the third badge and in my team is Hypno, Sandslash, and Pikachu

Maaannnnn already spending time on the challenge forum I already want to make yet another challenge, but probably a bad idea
(even though it's related to my two favorite games right now, Persona 3 and 4)

11wildy
June 1st, 2012, 01:08 AM
Do make the challenge, I might participate? ;o

Vasquez
June 2nd, 2012, 05:31 AM
Alright, so I had an idea for a challenge, that imposed a cost upon visiting the Pokemon Center, thereby limiting the player's ability to heal at will. The problem is, I don't know what it'd be. It'd have to be fluctuating, as at some points in the game you have more money than others, but I can't think of a system right now... Any ideas?

droomph
June 2nd, 2012, 05:39 PM
Alright, so I had an idea for a challenge, that imposed a cost upon visiting the Pokemon Center, thereby limiting the player's ability to heal at will. The problem is, I don't know what it'd be. It'd have to be fluctuating, as at some points in the game you have more money than others, but I can't think of a system right now... Any ideas?Hmmm...how about the cost of a potion per Pokémon healed? Makes enough sense, and when your Pokémon get more HP, you are required to pay at least that much (eg if Griffy had 21 HP he'd have to pay the price of a Fresh Water instead of a potion), and if any Pokémon has more than 200 HP they are required to pay the price of a Max Potion?

Though I doubt that this is a "challenge" so to say, I'll still host it! It sounds like a great starting challenge for someone like me~

Vasquez
June 3rd, 2012, 05:52 AM
Well, although not a challenge on it's own, it was meant to be done among other things, but I was just wondering what would be a fair restriction to place on the player when playing through.

tente2
June 3rd, 2012, 10:38 AM
Remember, threads in this forum can be up to two months old before it's considered dead.

Really? o_O

So, like clarifying:

I somebody posted on the, say, 23rd December, it'd take until 23rd February for that thread to die?

That's great! Now I can keep going on with the Monkey See, Monkey Do challenge without having to edit my post :P

That's a little more motivation right there :D

...I sort of want to revive the 2 Move Challenge, (again!) but the last time I revived it, I made participation banners, a big banner for the first post, I made sure the first post was neatly formatted and I made the rules super clear. And I only got two people to sign up (and neither updated once).

So I think something's up. Would you guys mind reviewing this challenge, to see why it's so unpopular?

Two Move Challenge
The two move challenge is a challenge in which you can use a minimum of 3 Pokemon, and a maximum of 6 Pokemon. Each Pokemon can only use TWO moves in battle, at any point in the game--one Status move and one 'attack' move (Physical/Special).

From the moment you use a move in-battle, that move is now officially the said Pokemon's Status/'Attack' move. (i.e. If your Caterpie uses Tackle ONCE in battle, then Tackle is now officially your Caterpie's 'attack' move for the rest of the challenge.)

You may never replace your Status or 'Attack' move, and they remain the same the entire game.

Example: If I decide to use Duskull, I may choose two moves for it, one Status and one 'Attack' move. I choose Haze and Hex. For the remainder of the game, I may not use any Status move EXCEPT for Haze. and I may not use ANY 'Attack' move except for Hex. Obviously, you choose a Status and 'Attack' move for each of your Pokemon.

So, in short, your Pokemon's moveset is reduced from 4 moves to 2 moves, and one move has to be Status and one move has to be Physical/Special.

The only exception is when BOTH of your Pokemon's moves have run out of PP/been disabled, and YOU HAVE NO OTHER POKEMON TO SWITCH TO. Then, you may use a move other than your Pokemon's designated Status and/or 'Attack' move.

Optional rule: When you reach the Move Deleter, delete the moves in the other two move slots you're not using. And, don't learn any new moves that you're not using. This way, if you ran out of PP/have the move(s) disabled, you're forced to Struggle.

I think it is both challenging, (because you either have to commit yourself to early, weak moves like Ember or bait-switch-grind to get better moves at higher levels) and laid-back (since it's really not that hard with proper planning). I think what people are sort of wary about is the grinding you'd need to get decent movesets for your earlier Pokemon, but I don't see a way around that without a "movesets aren't definite until the 2nd Gym" sort of rule which sort...I dunno, irks me. I mean, you can always dump a team member at any time, so you don't have to keep the earlier Pokemon that are stuck with things like Tackle and String Shot. Because after about the 4th Gym, wild Pokemon begin to carry decent moves.

That, or people could just do the already-mentioned bait-switch grinding. OR, they could overgrind so those Bug Bites do significant damage. Or, they could avoid using one of their two move slots so that they can get a decent move in it...

See, I don't know what's really wrong with this challenge, but since I've made it twice (once original, once revived) and barely anybody paid it any attention, so obviously something's not attractive to the Pokecommunity challengers.

droomph
June 3rd, 2012, 11:52 AM
I think it has something to do with the "Two Move" thing. It's usually popular to place restrictions on Pokémon, not moves. It's not a bad idea, but it can get kinda messy until you reach the Move Deleter.

Something tells me you'll have to be extra persuasive in order to get people to join~ but it's a really good idea! It's really innovative, which many people don't have. It's just that...yeah...

tente2
June 3rd, 2012, 12:35 PM
I think it has something to do with the "Two Move" thing. It's usually popular to place restrictions on Pokémon, not moves. It's not a bad idea, but it can get kinda messy until you reach the Move Deleter.

Yeah, I can see the "Pokemon, not moves" thing.

What I don't get though is how can it be "messy"...? PP and being Disabled is certainly going to be annoying, but then you'd just switch...and if not, then you can use other moves. It's not like people are going to have a bad memory, either.

I think an option that I should include though, that I didn't include in the previous two incarnations of this challenge: if your 'Attack' move PP runs out, or if that move is Disabled, you don't have to wait until your Status move PP is gone. You can just immediately start attacking with another 'attack' move.

The Move Deleter is just there so you automatically Struggle after running out of PP...no wait, because then you'd have the Status move...so then really the Move Deleter isn't that useful...No, in fact, deleting all your other moves would be a bad thing, because then you'd be stuck depleting the PP of your Status move...

Maybe instead of a Status move, you'd simply have one Physical and one Special move? Having two 'attack' moves would eliminate all the problems, but it'd make the challenge so easy...unless they'd both be the same type...but then I think people would lose sight of the challenge. It'd become a sort of "same type move" challenge.

vaporeon7
June 4th, 2012, 01:53 AM
I think it would just get annoying when you delete the moves for the first time and have to keep going back every time the Pokémon learns one through level up.

tente2
June 4th, 2012, 02:31 PM
I think it would just get annoying when you delete the moves for the first time and have to keep going back every time the Pokémon learns one through level up.

Well that's always an optional rule. In fact I think maybe it would just confuse people more so I don't think I'll include it in the final challenge~

In the meantime, reading the earlier posts about the GT, if it's a trading sort of thing then I could use my Platinum cartridge, which is the only cartridge I'm willing to use for challenges. So, I think it may be a good idea, but there's also the fact it could be time-consuming to arrange a time for the other person to come on? To trade? Or maybe I just misunderstood, I dunno.

11wildy
June 8th, 2012, 05:19 AM
Alright, time to finish this mono Poison. Any idea how Dustox, Roselia and Swalot are going to sweep the ruby league? ;3

vaporeon7
June 8th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Alright, time to finish this mono Poison. Any idea how Dustox, Roselia and Swalot are going to sweep the ruby league? ;3

With great difficulty, that's for sure. I'm on a challenge break because exams are coming up for me and I'm getting really time poor.

11wildy
June 8th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Well, Swalot has ice beam for Drake. Dustox can beat Sidney. Only Phoebe, Glacia and Steven left :D. Seems like I need lots of grinding :(

vaporeon7
June 11th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Well, Swalot has ice beam for Drake. Dustox can beat Sidney. Only Phoebe, Glacia and Steven left :D. Seems like I need lots of grinding :(

Remember, when in doubt battle items such as X Attack are lovely, make Swalot invincible again Steven's Skarmory and hope for the best!

11wildy
June 11th, 2012, 10:38 PM
But what does Swalot have to hurt Aggron/Metagross? Shock wave? XD That is a 60 power unstabbed move. Roselia could Leech seed stall at least.. Better make that one invincible :D

SuperKirbyFan
June 11th, 2012, 11:06 PM
But what does Swalot have to hurt Aggron/Metagross? Shock wave? XD That is a 60 power unstabbed move. Roselia could Leech seed stall at least.. Better make that one invincible :D

You could just use Struggle. That's what I did in my Weedle solo and it worked fine. Using X Attacks makes it fairly strong.

11wildy
June 12th, 2012, 03:50 AM
Fine, I will find a way. I need to grind first anyway. Taking a break from that playing Pokemon XD. Anybody ever did a challenge on that game?

vaporeon7
June 12th, 2012, 03:55 AM
Fine, I will find a way. I need to grind first anyway. Taking a break from that playing Pokemon XD. Anybody ever did a challenge on that game?

I did a flying monotype and the Save the Pokémon event on XD, it was interesting to say the least.

11wildy
June 17th, 2012, 02:57 AM
Haha, mono flying? What pokemon do you get then? Apart from Ledyba? And Hoppip ofc

vaporeon7
June 17th, 2012, 03:29 AM
Haha, mono flying? What pokemon do you get then? Apart from Ledyba? And Hoppip ofc

My team was Crobat, Ledian, Salamence, Pidgeotto, Xatu and Scyther.

11wildy
June 17th, 2012, 07:33 AM
I used Ledyba for a while, but dropped her soon enough. She wouldn't do a lot of damage. The rest of the team looks good though!

vaporeon7
June 18th, 2012, 02:23 PM
I used Ledyba for a while, but dropped her soon enough. She wouldn't do a lot of damage. The rest of the team looks good though!

I only used Ledian because I didn't have many options and I didn't want to use Flying types that I had used in other games in my ultimate challenge.

11wildy
June 18th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Too bad there is not Eeveelution that is flying type hm ;). Will there be an event anytime soon? ;D I'm looking forward to do one.

jdthebud
June 18th, 2012, 11:38 PM
Too bad there is not Eeveelution that is flying type hm ;). Will there be an event anytime soon? ;D I'm looking forward to do one.I think the GT9 coming up in a month or two prolly is the next event.

Alli
June 19th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Hey kiddos. Sorry there hasn't been an event this month like I said there would be. Things just came up and there wasn't any time to get them worked out. But GT9 will definitely have an event that I hope you all enjoy. I hope you like the lazy title change. It wasn't Rogue's birthday anymore so you know, I felt like I had to change it, but nothing came to mind so yeah. I haven't worked on a challenge in a while. :( Sigh.

Enigma
June 19th, 2012, 03:37 PM
It wasn't Rogue's birthday anymore so you know, I felt like I had to change it, but nothing came to mind so yeah.
I was literally about to post in this thread about how I felt special because my birthday was still in the title. Also, I haven't been able to do any challenges myself lately, so don't feel bad about it. :( I haven't been able to find the time.

SuperKirbyFan
June 19th, 2012, 09:27 PM
I have lots of time for my challenge, but I don't own Pokemon White yet (only black and i dont want to erase it), and I don't want to use an emulator either.

11wildy
June 20th, 2012, 12:01 AM
Just wait for BW2 then? I gonna do challenges on that one probably :3

Alli
June 20th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Oh, that's right. We'll be need those prefix tags in that case haha.

SuperKirbyFan
June 20th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Didn't think of that actually. Although at that point I'll still want White 2 since Black 2 will be used for my main playthrough. I'll probably just end up getting White due to not wanting to wait.

Alli
June 23rd, 2012, 08:09 PM
I'll get Black 2 in Japanese and both in English. I guess my English B2 will be my storage game and the other two will be for playing through over and over. Weehee.

11wildy
June 24th, 2012, 12:41 AM
But I have still to decide whather I will blind nuzlocke BW2 or monotype water...

Alli
June 25th, 2012, 07:44 PM
I usually don't like to do challenges on my first playthrough of a new game. I wanna just enjoy the game as is first. XD

Gulpin
June 25th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I usually don't like to do challenges on my first playthrough of a new game. I wanna just enjoy the game as is first. XD

That's the exact same with me xD
I usually choose one version to have just a regular playthrough and eventually buy the other version for challenges. It just seems weird to me to do challenges the very first time; I just enjoy being able to pick any of my favorite Pokemon and have a nice, easy, smooth first playthrough with the ability to easily explore every aspect of the game.

Alli
June 25th, 2012, 07:59 PM
I usually have one or two games each generation become storage and then everything else is free range for regular playthroughs or challenges. For example! My HeartGold, Diamond, and Platinum are storage games in gen IV. My Pearl, SoulSilver, other HeartGold, and other Diamond and for playing through. n___n I need to make Platinum not storage anymore though, cause it's so good to play through. YES I have too many games lol. That's what happens when you're a PokePackrat, RNGer, and challenger. :(

Does anyone make up stories and such for their characters? I usually do, especially for challenges because I like to think of a reason as to why they're doing this challenge. To be a gym leader? Was it a dare? etc. Like the Challoween one, my character and his rivals (played by Bianca and Cheren obv) played along with this creepy story they heard about a guy that made it to the Pokemon League on Halloween. And so they decided they'd all go through the region to see if it'd happen. Though, rivals being rivals, they both picked on Cedric (my character) for his odd and creepy choice in Pokemon (because of the criteria your Pokemon had to meet for the challenge) though ended up prevailing and proving more than what they had anticipated at the Pokemon League. HURR.

Enigma
June 26th, 2012, 12:02 AM
I usually do the same. But I think my first playthrough of a 5th gen game was a green monocolor on White for the event that was going on at the time. I didn't really have time to do a normal playthrough first, so I decided to just do the monocolor anyway.

11wildy
June 26th, 2012, 12:40 AM
I do like doing challenges. My first Black run was a monotype Grass run. Now it would be a good time to finally finish my mono water UMC, since I only need to do Black still.

Alli
June 26th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Speaking of a UMC, what do you guys think about ultimate challenges now? Will BW and B2W2 both have to be included because they're so different? Or just pick one out of the 4? I never do ultimates, but I'd like to know y'alls opinion.

Gulpin
June 26th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Speaking of a UMC, what do you guys think about ultimate challenges now? Will BW and B2W2 both have to be included because they're so different? Or just pick one out of the 4? I never do ultimates, but I'd like to know y'alls opinion.

I don't do ultimate challenges either, but I see them as doing the challenge in each region, and I don't think that Unova in B2W2 has enough differences to warrant an addition to ultimate challenges. Plus, you don't want to make everyone who has already completed an ultimate challenge have to play 2 extra games (BW and B2W2) in one generation.

Alli
June 26th, 2012, 03:40 PM
That's how I feel about it too. Though, if I were to ever do an ultimate, I'd probably choose B2W2 over BW just because there is more Pokemon selection. ;)

jdthebud
June 26th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I don't do ultimate challenges either, but I see them as doing the challenge in each region, and I don't think that Unova in B2W2 has enough differences to warrant an addition to ultimate challenges. Plus, you don't want to make everyone who has already completed an ultimate challenge have to play 2 extra games (BW and B2W2) in one generation.
Region is the key word here, so my vote is that either BW or B2W2 would qualify for the fifth game.

That's how I feel about it too. Though, if I were to ever do an ultimate, I'd probably choose B2W2 over BW just because there is more Pokemon selection. ;)
Yeah, I'm waiting to see what kind of Pokemon selection there will be in the B2W2 games before I continue the rest of my monotypes. All I gotta say is, there better be a Lucky Egg somewhere!

Alli
June 26th, 2012, 05:14 PM
I'm sure there will be! And Petilil. :D

vaporeon7
June 26th, 2012, 07:52 PM
I think only one of them is needed, seeing as it is region based. It also allows some people to do ultimate solo challenges easier.

Now that my exams are over, I can finally get back onto challenges!

11wildy
June 27th, 2012, 03:08 AM
I think either BW or Bw2 should be done. Same region etc. And I tend to use onyl Pokemon from that region in a monotype. So yeah, wouldn't make a very big difference then :3

Gulpin
June 27th, 2012, 05:28 AM
Yeah, I'm waiting to see what kind of Pokemon selection there will be in the B2W2 games before I continue the rest of my monotypes.

If this helps, Serebii has a completed B2W2 Unova Regional PokeDex right here (http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/unovadex.shtml).

Also, now that I'm trying to be more active at PC I'm also going to start doing more challenges. I'm not sure if I should start all new challenges or try to pick up where I left up on some of them.

I was also thinking that some new and interesting challenges could come out of Pokemon Conquest. I'm not quite sure what type of challenges yet, but I think a monotype challenge on Conquest would be extremely difficult. It would be just a regular monotype - the Pokemon that all of your Warlords use must be of the same type. An exception to this may be Oichi, at least until you can link with new Pokemon.