PDA

View Full Version : Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

myrrhman
December 24th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Yeah, I've done Rocket. Don't know when, but I have a list for them. If you can do Galactic, then I'll do both Aqua and Magma and we'll combine our lists!

Porygon Z
December 25th, 2010, 05:33 AM
An idea for a sweet challenge!

No Trainers challenge.

1- You can't challenge most of the trainers.
2- Only Gym trainers and unavoidable trainers are allowed.
3- All Trick House trainers are allowed.
4- If a trainers is hard to avoid, you must save before him, then try to avoid him until you do it.
5- No Vs. Seeker or rematches.
6- Hacking is allowed.
7- The challenge ends in a certain way for any specific game.

a) G/R/B/Y: After you catch/defeat Mewtwo.
b) G/S/C: After you defeat Red.
c) R/S: After you catch/defeat Rayquaza.
d) E: After you defeat Steven in Meteor Falls.
e) D/P: After you defeat Pokèmon League.
f) Pt: After you defeat the Pokèmon League (twice), and complete the aftergame story.
g) HG/SS: After you defeat Red (once) and Pokèmon League (twice).
h) B/W: After you defeat the Pokèmon League (twice) and Cynthia in Sazanami Town.
j) Colosseum: Purify all 48 Shadow Pokèmon, and defeat the main story.
k) XD: Purify all 83 Shadow Pokèmon and defeat the main story.

I didn't played Colosseum/XD, and I don't know the main story and stuff, so if anyone helps me I would be grateful.

And, what do you say about this challenge?

myrrhman
December 25th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Meh, it's not too hard because you can still just grind on wild Pokemon. But, if you take that out, then it becomes some other challenge that we had somewhere at sometime that nobody liked (I don't think). Also, I would take out purify all 48 Pokemon and just stick to beating the story mode.

The final boss in Colosseum is Evice. I'm not sure about XD, though.

Exile
December 25th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I'll add on to myrrhman's post by saying that nearly every trainer in plot advancing areas of Pokemon Colosseum and XD are impossible to avoid.
This challenge doesn't really sound too interesting and seems like a lot of work, building up to nothing.
Also, Greevil is the boss of Cipher in XD, Myrrh.

560cool.
December 25th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I don't know what to say about the no-trainer challenge... it sounds OK, but the finishing requirements are a bit too high, as I'm used to the normal "beat champion" thing. I guess it's just me, but...

Well, anyways, merry Christmas guys and I hope you got what you wanted, cause I didn't. It was one of the worst Christmases (lol) in my life, and I never got that new iPod Touch and I only got chocolate, books, and clothes. Yeah, like stuff that your family wants to buy and uses Christmas as an excuse... lol.

myrrhman
December 25th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I don't know what to say about the no-trainer challenge... it sounds OK, but the finishing requirements are a bit too high, as I'm used to the normal "beat champion" thing. I guess it's just me, but...

Well, anyways, merry Christmas guys and I hope you got what you wanted, cause I didn't. It was one of the worst Christmases (lol) in my life, and I never got that new iPod Touch and I only got chocolate, books, and clothes. Yeah, like stuff that your family wants to buy and uses Christmas as an excuse... lol.
The beginning of my Christmas was about the same. I got battery powered socks, 2 pairs of shoes when I have perfectly good ones right now, and a board game from my parents. A board game that I ALREADY HAD.

As for the finishing requirements, they're not all that different. I mean, beat Mewtwo/Raquaza is easy enough, you're at a good enough level if you beat the elite four. As for Steven/Cynthia; I remember Steven wasn't that bad when I beat him in emerald. Can't imagine Cynthia would be ridiculous after you beat the elite four, which is at some ridiculous level like 70's or something.

560cool.
December 25th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Myrrh, I could also do your new "siggy"... I just need to know where the heck are the monotypes. I only see Duo and Trio with many types lined there.

just so crammed... redsaber's FAULTDEATH2TROLLSASD

Um, yeah, not to mention the two pj's I got from my grandma. "They fit perfectly !". Of course they do... >_> And I ate my After Eight chocolate in 20 minutes... just to be shouted at...

I had a horrible Christmas...

myrrhman
December 25th, 2010, 06:12 PM
It is quite confusing, 560. Monotypes is actually the big orange section. For duo and trio challenges, I was only supposed to beat it once on Kanto, once on Johto, once on Hoenn, and once on Sinnoh.

Jak
December 25th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Don't like the idea of no trainers, especially for Colo/XD. You can't avoid many, plus in Colosseum, there's no wild Pokemon to grind levels, so you'd fail miserably. XD at least has wild Pokemon, but still.

And hey. I got a crock pot for COOKING and GPS. OH BOY. But I also got some games and some nice clothes. No complaints. Cept my step dad was being a douche all day. He's just mad that his football team sucks and that if they win this championship, he'll have to wait another 50 years til they do it again. :D As for Alabama...give it a couple of years and we'll be sayin' 14, baby. /lol football

myrrhman
December 25th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Don't like the idea of no trainers, especially for Colo/XD. You can't avoid many, plus in Colosseum, there's no wild Pokemon to grind levels, so you'd fail miserably. XD at least has wild Pokemon, but still.

And hey. I got a crock pot for COOKING and GPS. OH BOY. But I also got some games and some nice clothes. No complaints. Cept my step dad was being a douche all day. He's just mad that his football team sucks and that if they win this championship, he'll have to wait another 50 years til they do it again. :D As for Alabama...give it a couple of years and we'll be sayin' 14, baby. /lol football
What team, Auburn? That sounds like UT! 1951 and then 1998... I think it will be a real CHALLENGE for Oregon to stop Cam.

560cool.
December 26th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Oh, I also asked for LEGO HP 1-4 on my PSP, but I got HP : The Deathly Hallows for the Wii. >_> I really should be there when my presents get bought...

Also, here's what I found, if you guys want a CHALLENGE : http://foddy.net/Athletics.html

Exile
December 26th, 2010, 08:30 AM
A real challenge is to try going a full day without posting any trollfaces or stuff from the Nuzlocke forums ;D

560cool.
December 26th, 2010, 09:08 AM
A real challenge is to try going a full day without posting any trollfaces or stuff from the Nuzlocke forums ;D
Nah, that's too hard. I did post my trollface for today ; another Santa trollface. (:
Anybody tried the game I posted ? I'm really curious what you guys can do. I ran more backwards than forward, so yeah. <_>

myrrhman
December 26th, 2010, 12:26 PM
doesn't look too hard, all i have to do is break 100 M?

got 96.6.... bleh, don't have enough in me to try again.

December 26th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Christmas was great for me. Got a Kindle ^_^. And Pokemon XD, now I can finally participate in the XD related challenges. (yeah it took me this long.)

myrrhman
December 26th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Whuzza kindle?

I did get a gamestop giftcard that I can buy more Pokemon games with, so I can do more Challenges.

Weavile05
December 26th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I suppose christmas was good for me. I got another copy of LittleBig Planet, which I had lost for about a year... I got a copy of FireRed, but something's wrong with it... my Save Files keep deleting themselves. It's happened twice now.

Jak
December 26th, 2010, 06:05 PM
What team, Auburn? That sounds like UT! 1951 and then 1998... I think it will be a real CHALLENGE for Oregon to stop Cam.

CLAM Newton. SCAM Newton. Duck Auburn. :) My uncle said he wouldn't root for Auburn even if they were playin against Saddam Hussein. lmao

Whuzza kindle?

I did get a gamestop giftcard that I can buy more Pokemon games with, so I can do more Challenges

Some reading thing iirc. And I got some GameStop discount cards. Definitely handy for Black and White. :) Also forgot to mention, I got a FANTASTIC pink WiiMote that's manly as all hell, and I'll be a real badass playing Goldeneye 007 with it.

I worked on my favorite challenge yesterday, but the funny thing is that it took me a while to remember what I was doing. I guess I forgot I was doing challenge? ._.

Exile
December 26th, 2010, 06:45 PM

That post would be GOLDEN, if you reversed it, hun. As great a player as newton is, and as much as I hate Oregon, not to mention the fact that they play in the skin and bones pac-10, the Oregon Ducks offense is a looser cannon then syd, packed with 80 tons of dynamite, while on Performance Enhancing Drugs.

Enigma
December 26th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Yeah, I've done Rocket. Don't know when, but I have a list for them. If you can do Galactic, then I'll do both Aqua and Magma and we'll combine our lists!

Okay, I'll get on it then. c:

Not even one person wanted to try the Personality Challenge? Not one?

myrrhman
December 26th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Okay, I'll get on it then. c:

Not even one person wanted to try the Personality Challenge? Not one?
I'll get around to it eventually. Be patient.

I actually like Oregon, despite them handing UT's butts to them on a silver platter. They were my third favorite team behind UT and Hawaii (because back then they were called the rainbow warriors, and how funny is that?) throughout my childhood, because I loved their colors. And that they were ducks. Now I love that they have like hundreds of combinations of uniforms they can wear. So ridic.

And now back on topic. Can someone give WeigtyWillBill (I think that's who it is, apologies if I'm wrong) a kick in the butt and tell him to update his revived triospecies challenge? I run/co-run 3 pretty big ones, and I know how much of a pain it is to have to update a bunch of stuff, and he's getting close to a month since last update.

Hallylicious
December 28th, 2010, 12:02 AM
I like the idea of a run using the same type of animal,
i.e
a mouse
so the pokemon you could use would be:
- Marill
- Raichu
- Raticate
- Sandlash
ect

Mistyblu
December 28th, 2010, 03:44 AM
Here's an idea for a challenge: The TM challenge

you post how many pokemon you want and people give you random numbers (courtesy of a random generator with a range, like this http://www.randomizer.org/form.htm) that correspond to the game's TM list. You then have to choose pokemon that can learn a corresponding TM and they have to use that TM for that pokemon.

Example:

Game: Heart Gold
Number of pokemon wanted: 4

Next poster gives you 23, 50, 3, 13

An example team would then be:
23- Azumarill (Iron Tail)
50- Arcanine (Overheat)
03- Ambipom (Water Pulse)
13- Nidoqueen (Ice Beam)

As for really hard to get ones like Battle Frontier TMs, maybe they can just be hacked but only after beating the final gym or something?

-----

Another idea is maybe a mode that includes HMs when you get a 'free-for-all' TM like Hidden Power or Return (maybe renamed to TM/HM Challenge?). Say the random generator outputs 13, 21, 15, 10. Since 21 is Frustration and 10 is Hidden Power, the member has to do generate 2 more numbers for HMs, so for example they get 1 and 4- they have to get a pokemon who learns Cut and one that learns Strength instead. Could be a bit more effort/complicated for lazy members though?

myrrhman
December 28th, 2010, 08:57 AM
We've tried animals before. It died last time, but you can feel free to try again.

As for the TM/HM challenge, seems sort of pointlessly easy. If you wanted, the only restrictions would be you could only use three moves (if you don't want to use your TM/HM, you could just teach it to your Pokemon and not ever use it), and that your team is limited to Pokemon that can learn a certain TM. For a lot of them, like Ice Beam, Thunder, etc., there are a ton of Pokemon that can learn said TMs. So your team wouldn't be that limited. I vote no.

Jak
December 28th, 2010, 09:24 AM
I actually like Oregon, despite them handing UT's butts to them on a silver platter. They were my third favorite team behind UT and Hawaii (because back then they were called the rainbow warriors, and how funny is that?) throughout my childhood, because I loved their colors. And that they were ducks. Now I love that they have like hundreds of combinations of uniforms they can wear. So ridic.

I just want them to shut Auburn up. That is my dream. I got a houndstooth fedora today as a secret Santa gift between me and my sister, btw. I ended up opening the present with popcorn and a McDonalds card and she got the hat originally. Then my mom left the room and she was like "here you like hats more than me" lol

TM/HM challenge sounds pretty cool I guess, but...eh idk. Nothing I'd bother with. Doesn't have...oomph. I guess that's the sound effect word I'm looking for. Cause it's not that challenging if you get good TMs like 26, 35, and 24. Now, if you got 92, 12, and 2 or something...lol. Just examples though.

Animal challenge has been done to death, but feel free to send in another for approval I guess. They always die. :(

And now back on topic. Can someone give WeigtyWillBill (I think that's who it is, apologies if I'm wrong) a kick in the butt and tell him to update his revived triospecies challenge? I run/co-run 3 pretty big ones, and I know how much of a pain it is to have to update a bunch of stuff, and he's getting close to a month since last update.

This is why I just make a list of Champions for the challenges I host and tell people to VM me when they finish. It's too much for me to keep checking a thread for sign ups. I already have enough things to do and I don't feel like keeping up with all the people participating and who drops out and what not. v_v I just make sure people are signing up correctly.

Exile
December 28th, 2010, 10:11 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_qVWEAe41qV4/TQQspVwUVGI/AAAAAAAAHHw/dKgn9vBxcj8/s1600/Cam-Newton-Suspended.jpg
Even if Cam Newton broke NCAA rules, it's not as if the entire Oregon Ducks football team didn't. Before the Pac-10 was nerfed, the only thing
Oregon had going for them was money, Nike Money, which is breaking NCAA rules to give any players illegal benefits, one example of this is $.
Oregon is full of players from all around the country, half of which have been arrested, half of which would have gone to the U or Texas if Phil Grant wasn't paying for their Mom's house and buying them a slick new ride after they signed their soul away to the University of Oregon.

Jak
December 28th, 2010, 10:20 AM
While I'm fine with us discussing football, make sure that the main topic does stay about challenges, guys. I'm pretty lenient with this thread, so I'd hate to have to crack down on it like a jail warden or something.

myrrhman
December 28th, 2010, 11:19 AM
While I'm fine with us discussing football, make sure that the main topic does stay about challenges, guys. I'm pretty lenient with this thread, so I'd hate to have to crack down on it like a jail warden or something.

Nah, I'm the warden, silly. :P

Okay, I don't know if you guys remember way back when before I took my 3 month leave of PC when I was going on and on about my super awesome challenge that I was working on. Well, I might as well tell you about it.

First, I'm going to have to credit redsaber with the original idea, sort of, but I made it playable. Really the only problem I have right now is that it's geared almost exclusively to people with Emulators.

Basically, you use "money" to buy all your Pokemon and items and stuff. The goal is to buy Arceus. He costs a lot of money; like $1,000,000 or something. Everytime you beat a trainer in the game you're playing, you get a little money. You can also get money by selling stuff that you have. So basically if you get money in the game, you get money in this challenge.

Now what do you use money to buy? Well, as you already know, you can buy Pokemon with money. You may also buy TMs, items and stuff, and Evolution Stones. That's right. Your Pokemon can't evolve unless you pay money. I'll have a list if we actually do this with the prices of everything on them.

So you play through the game and beat it. For example, lets say you have around 1,000 left after you beat the champion. That's not nearly enough to buy Arceus! Oh no! But don't fear, you can buy him in small chunks. After you beat a game, you start over on a new game, keeping your money. So you could pay off 1,000 towards Arceus. But then you don't have any money for the next game, so you have to strategically pay off only a certain amount each time, so that you can play through the first part of the next game. So you could pay 500 and then have 500 to start the next game.

This is the general idea of the challenge. I know its really confusing, I just got up so I'm not all the way into things. We'll have to tweak the amount of money for stuff later on if you guys like this idea.

Alpha King
December 28th, 2010, 11:26 AM

Egad! I'm appalled! How dare someone suggest that I be kicked in the tush. How vile!

And I just updated yesterday, but I'm pretty sure I skipped a few things, so I'll finish that today

560cool.
December 30th, 2010, 07:37 AM
You guys discussed football. "_" Good I was away. I don't know anything about it. xD

@myrrh : Ahh, so that's that clutter redsaber the troll posted sometime ? Apart from the gremmar and the fact that I couldn't understand anything from his post, I kinda got the thing. It sounds like a cool thing, but with buying Pokemon you mean cheat for one or just get one from the wild when he is available ? Let's not forget we need a list of prices for Pokemon...

This sounds so weird... xD

Jak
December 30th, 2010, 09:32 AM
You mean the Red Challenge or whatever? There was something I didn't approve and it was made by him and I keep seeing it like...everyday. lmao I never understood what he was going for, so I made other mods read it and they didn't get it either. So I was just like "well if they don't get it, and I don't get it, will anyone else get it?"

Exile
December 30th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I'm not a fan of the Red challenge. I don't like the idea of having to buy everything needed to complete the game, it just seemed hard to manage.
In other news, I lost my HG run because Bugsy's Scyther was dishing out crit U-turns like nobody's business.

Jak
December 30th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I dislike having to buy things irl why should I buy them to complete a challenge hmm...

And that sucks. Where was your Quilava in all this? Oh that's right, you went with Chikorita. Where was your Geodude for this mess?

Speaking of HG, say hello to my HG team in my sig. They're all so cute. Hover for movesets. :'D Not quite done, of course. And no, they're not for a challenge, that's actually a regular playthrough. But they're so great and wonderful.

Edit: THE NEIGHBORS KEEP HONKING CAR HORNS AND IT'S REALLY ANNOYING

Exile
December 30th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I dislike having to buy things irl why should I buy them to complete a challenge hmm...

And that sucks. Where was your Quilava in all this? Oh that's right, you went with Chikorita. Where was your Geodude for this mess?

Speaking of HG, say hello to my HG team in my sig. They're all so cute. Hover for movesets. :'D Not quite done, of course. And no, they're not for a challenge, that's actually a regular playthrough. But they're so great and wonderful.

Edit: THE NEIGHBORS KEEP HONKING CAR HORNS AND IT'S REALLY ANNOYING

My Geodude had 29 HP, I assumed it would survive U-Turn. Of course it's a crit, and everything else was critted into oblivion. I'll admit I even had a Milotic in my party that I wasn't going to use until later. Even Milotic can't survive his Crit-Turns. I guess I'll go do some other challenge on HG using a Flygon.

Hawkfire-the-cat
December 30th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Okay, just a couple of challenge ideas that popped into my head ^^

1: 'Mono nature' challenge
-Here's how this one will work; you have to complete any pkmn game using pokemon of one nature only. The person who comment's under you choses that nature, based on what they think of your personality (profile, signature, comments etc). Also, just to make it slightly more fun, you can only catch pokemon that slightly resemble that nature; ie if you get 'rash' you could have a primape or weaville, but not a alakazam or slaking.

2: The currently unamed challenge (gym swap or something?)
-This one's gonna be difficult to explain, so sorry if you can't tell what I'm saying. Each time you defeat a gym, you have to change you pokemon to ones you catch after it. Example: On Firered, you have your starter and a butterfree when you defeat Brock. You need to go to the next route out of Pewter, catch some pokemon, deposit the butterfree and starter, and use those. The rules would be no legendaries, no cheating (it's really not needed) you can't go out of a city with a gym leader to a city you haven't been to yet; ie you can't leave Cerulean and go to Vermillion until you bet Misty; and you can't catch pokemon in previous routes once you've bet the gym leader.

Why can't I do them: First one needs work, I can't explain the second one without a huge lecture; time constraints, I probably wouldn't finish; and I don't think I'd be the best person for looking after a thread.

Enjoy!

Weavile05
December 30th, 2010, 09:09 PM
The second one has already been done.

Jak
December 30th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Nature sounds interesting, however it's hard to find Pokemon that have the nature you want, and not a lot of us want to SR for our specific assigned nature. Even with the added element of having Pokemon that seem to fit the nature, it still seems limited.

And though your second suggestion has been done before, there's not a current one up and running right now, so after you think of a name, read up the rules to make sure it's all in check, and make a thread for it if you want and I will get to it when I can.

December 30th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Yeah the second one is like my now-dead 1 Pokemon 1 Gym challenge. The only difference is I require solo runs. You can start it up again, but there is a reason it died. Too complicated for some, too much grinding for others.

Jak
December 30th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Dunno why I didn't enter it, I grind levels all day without changing my team constantly. v_v lol

Hawkfire-the-cat
December 30th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Aright then, thanks for the feedback!
Sorry for not realisng the second one was done, I've only really look at the first page of this section ^^; my bad.

I knew the nature one had a few errors, I know I also don't use mons if they have a bad nature. I might try to work with it a little more, and see if its any good.

I think that both idea's need some work though before I'd consider making a thread, but thanks for the feedback again!

560cool.
December 31st, 2010, 02:38 AM
Yay, Cocky in the team. But he's still Little Chicken for me. <3

And the "What you want to see in 2011" thread has pretty interesting opinions. I tried zooming through them pretty fast, but they're just too many. v_v'

On another note... I'm at the hotel today, since the slopes are completely full. Nobody went skiing, and I am sitting in the hotel lobby (where I have Wi-Fi signal) with people staring at what I search. I try keeping 5 tabs open at a time, and switch to something like Facebook when people stare, but it's so annoying... u_u

1: 'Mono nature' challenge
-Here's how this one will work; you have to complete any pkmn game using pokemon of one nature only. The person who comment's under you choses that nature, based on what they think of your personality (profile, signature, comments etc). Also, just to make it slightly more fun, you can only catch pokemon that slightly resemble that nature; ie if you get 'rash' you could have a primape or weaville, but not a alakazam or slaking.

This actually came to my mind yesterday, but I thought people would just be annoyed because they can't get the nature they need... I'm pretty sure it will turn into an issue... >_>'

Weavile05
December 31st, 2010, 09:28 AM
Ugh... my Nuzlocke Run is NOT looking good... My only good pokemon atm is a level 18 Grovyle... Brawly almost ended the run altogether. It's gonna take some SERIOUS Grinding to regain a good Status.

Jak
December 31st, 2010, 11:28 AM
Just want to point out that just because someone says "oh that challenge has been done" doesn't mean that it can't be redone. If for some reason it failed the first time, try to improve on what you think might have caused it to die, and then try to give new life to it. You guys make it sound so bad when you say "oh that's been done before." It comes off as a "that's boring, don't do that" to some people. Should be a little more encouraging. :)

And yes, I felt like raising a Blaziken, but for my favorite challenge on SS, I ended up with Combusken, so now I'm kinda burnt out (no pun intended) on the Torchic line.

myrrhman
December 31st, 2010, 11:52 AM
I don't see how the Mononature challenge would be a challenge. You get an entire team of whomever you want, you just have to keep resetting until you get the nature you want. I never bother with natures, and my challenges already end up just fine, so with the variety of Pokemon you can have, I don't see this as challenging at all.

Exile
December 31st, 2010, 11:54 AM
I don't see how the Mononature challenge would be a challenge. You get an entire team of whomever you want, you just have to keep resetting until you get the nature you want. I never bother with natures, and my challenges already end up just fine, so with the variety of Pokemon you can have, I don't see this as challenging at all.

Maybe it could be converted to a bad-nature challenge, in which you have to beat the game using natures that don't suit the Pokemon you have.

myrrhman
December 31st, 2010, 12:17 PM
I guess, but still. I mean, you know I've done quite the number of challenges. I have never checked natures once in my life. Well, I take that back. I did when I was considering to try Contests. I grew quickly bored. I'm assuming that at least a few of the pokemon had bad natures, but I just grinded a few more levels til they were acceptable. I don't think I've broken 70 on a challenge that natures were in. So, I had plenty of room to make up for the bad nature.

Jak
December 31st, 2010, 12:39 PM
The most challenging part of a nature challenge is actually catching what you want and it, by some miracle, having the nature you want.

myrrhman
December 31st, 2010, 12:57 PM
Isn't there some way to improve chances of getting the nature you want? Like an ability or something?

Joker4515
December 31st, 2010, 01:22 PM
The ability synchronize has an outside battle effect where wild pokemon have a 50% chance of having the same nature of the pokemon with synchronize.

Has to be the first pokemon in your party though.

myrrhman
December 31st, 2010, 01:40 PM
So you basically just have to SR til you get a Ralts with the right nature, then go around with Ralts leading to get your other team.

Enigma
January 1st, 2011, 06:56 PM
So you basically just have to SR til you get a Ralts with the right nature, then go around with Ralts leading to get your other team.
While this is a good idea, Ralts are usually very rare, as well as Abra. Getting them with the right nature, as well as the right ability (both have two abilites) takes FOREVER. Trust me, I bred a Synchronize Abra of every nature, including neutral natures, in SoulSilver. It took weeks. Imagine trying to actually look for the pokemon in the wild. *shivers*

Unless we were allowed to hack in a correct natured/ability Abra/Ralts, it'd be difficult just to start the challenge. If we were allowed to do so, then I see no problem with this challenge at all. However, the whole 'hacking' portion would also leave some people out that don't use emulators. Sure, they could trade from another game, but they'd have to be lucky to have a synchronizer with the correct nature...

/thoughtful rant

Sooyun
January 1st, 2011, 07:09 PM

And by then, you would have spent more time than it takes to get through half the game. -_-

Anyway, I have an idea for a challenge if you guys would consider giving it a cursory glance?

Title: "Thank You For The Gift." Challenge

Playing method: Emulator or GBA/DS. However, an Emulator will make things easier if you don't have more than one gaming system , a friend to play w/, or a DS w/ a GBA cartridge slot.

Generations: I-V (RGBY/GSC remakes are allowed in place of the originals)

Pokemon Restrictions: Event pokes (Spiky Pichu, etc.) allowed; Wandering [Entei, Raikou, Lati twins, Moltres, Articuno, Zapdos) allowed

No mascots: Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Dialga, Palkia, Arceus, Suicune, Mew (Nintendo events included), Mewtwo (same as Mew), Zekrom, Reshiram, Deoxys, Zorua, Zoroark

Basically, if it played a major part in a game/movie (idk how important Spiky Pichu was to the plot since I stopped watching movies after 4Ever) then it can't be used.

Basic Premise: Each trainer must play the game of their choice with Pokemon not registered as their own, meaning they were traded. I'm sure everyone remembers how Ash's Charizard was originally another trainer's and began to get more and more disobedient as he gained levels? Or, for those who have pets, you may remember how your dog, etc. didn't obey commands given for the first few months because it was still learning to trust you and get used to you. That's the challenge aspect. Traded Pokemon gain levels faster, and evolve quicker than Pokemon obtained normally. The more they level up, the more disobedient they tend to grow when you don't have enough badges. The goal is to get through the game trying to keep your Pokemon obedient/happy as you win badges and earn their respect.

Challenge Ends: For all games (yes, even HGSS), the challenge ends when you beat the Elite 4. By then, you would have received the 8th badge that makes Pokemon over lvl 70 listen to you.

***Special Condition for 3rd Gen and beyond: Anyone who plays RSE, DPPt, HGSS, BW must have at least one Pokemon participate in a Contest and win the Master class. I don't recommend the Pokeathon unless you have a fast computer or are playing on a real DS.

Hacking: Hacking is allowed for changing the OT of gamers playing 4th and 5th gen on emulators (no wifi and DPPt, BW freezes when attempting to connect and run 2 games), other than that, all gamers must legitimately trade.

(Yes, I will participate in my own challenge)

Jak
January 1st, 2011, 07:14 PM
Hey, that seems pretty fresh. I like it a lot. I could easily do it too, I trade with myself all the time. lol Though I ain't got the time for it. I know I get annoyed when those traded Pokemon don't listen too, haha. But yeah, I really like that idea. :)

Enigma
January 1st, 2011, 07:16 PM
I would participate in that challenge. It sounds a little too easy, even if you have the one Master Contest that you have to complete. Pokemon that disobey don't do it all the time, and if they do, they usually just use a random move. Give your pokemon all attacks that do damage (ex. not moves like Toxic or Reflect) and overlevel them, and it should be a pretty easy game.
I almost thought that having pokemon assigned by other people was a good idea, with the twist being that those assigners would be like the OT of the pokemon. I think that would take too long, though, especially for those that want six pokemon, or those that want to get started immediately.

Sooyun
January 1st, 2011, 07:23 PM
Thank you. Plus, it's perfect for those who like teaching Frustration/Return >:D I was playing through HG before starting my Mono challenge with only the Pokemon given to me through events (Cyndaquil, Togepi, Eevee, etc.) and thought 'Why are they registered under my name if people basically gave them to me? I didn't catch them in battle, so they aren't really mine!" lol ^_^

Enigma
January 1st, 2011, 07:29 PM
Too easy or not, I would definitely still post up the challenge. It's a simple concept, but a great one nevertheless. :P
Speaking of which, I have so many challenges that I want to do right now, it's crazy trying to decide which one to do. I did my last challenge in two days, starting yesterday and completing today. I'm full of ultimate challenges right now as well...hmm.

Sooyun
January 1st, 2011, 07:33 PM
I would participate in that challenge. It sounds a little too easy, even if you have the one Master Contest that you have to complete. Pokemon that disobey don't do it all the time, and if they do, they usually just use a random move. Give your pokemon all attacks that do damage (ex. not moves like Toxic or Reflect) and overlevel them, and it should be a pretty easy game.
I almost thought that having pokemon assigned by other people was a good idea, with the twist being that those assigners would be like the OT of the pokemon. I think that would take too long, though, especially for those that want six pokemon, or those that want to get started immediately.

Yeah. If you think about it, with over leveling and the right moveset, the game could go pretty quickly. Then again I like a quick game. I find grinding tedious so I wouldn't battle until I was 10+ levels over Clair or something. However, if you combine it with say... monotyping, or only baby Pokemon, etc. it could be challenging. (Though I could have leveled 10+ for Clair even with my Sunny Day-Solar Beam Typhlosion, Magmar, and Vulpix -_-;;. *doesn't want to remember Lorelei in FR T_T*

Jak
January 1st, 2011, 07:41 PM
I beg to differ about difficulty. I traded a Tyrogue to Diamond for a challenge once, and it fainted itself in battle all the time from disobeying. v_v

Enigma
January 1st, 2011, 07:46 PM
I guess that I'd have to say that difficulty varies with the different experiences people have while playing a game. My Mr. Mime in my Yellow challenge never fainted from disobeying. I would have to mention that it'd also depends on what Pokemon you use, since Mr. Mime's special was high (since both specials were the same thing).
So, I guess that if someone wants to make this more challenging, they can use whatever pokemon they desire, and the same applies if you just want a quick challenge to brag to your friends about. xP

myrrhman
January 2nd, 2011, 02:34 AM
It seems like if you're just really really careful you can do this easily. First few gyms they wouldn't obey, but if you did have 6 Pokemon, they wouldn't have to be as highly leveled.

(I'd still do it though)

chaos11011
January 2nd, 2011, 08:20 AM
Are you allowed to trade mulitple pokemon (as in more then 6) because i would do it on White, and like every 2 routes I would substitute one of my pokemon (randomly) and pick a random pokemon to substitute it with the same lvl and legit moves. (and a diffrent OT of course)

Which leads me to this.

The Replacement Challenge
Todd and Riley were oh so sad, then they came cross a Pokesav. Then they obtained an DS Game and a Emulator so rad. Now after every 3 routes the pick a Pokemon to have.

Yeah I refrenced a Child's show, come at me bro.

Basicly in this challenge after every 3 routes you replace one of your pokemon (randomly) with another Pokemon (again random) Confuse here's an example.

After I beat Falkner on Heart Gold I have a team of Pidgey, Cyndaquil, Bellsprout, Geodude, Zubat and Beedrill. And with the the use of a RNG it picks 4, the 4th pokemon on my team is Geodude so I replace that. Then the RNG picks 266 so I add Silcoon to my party.

You MUST have 6 Pokemon in your team so you wont have an easy time Soloing. I honestly think this is a good challenge because say you have a pokemon you really like or a Pokemon that can easily beat a gym, and BAM you get a pokemon you dislike/ pokemon who sucks against the gym.

I recomend playing on a Emulator for Easy acess to the Pokemon. If you dont use an Emulator, use the PC from one of your other games (AI I have 50 pokemon from the PC on SS so I use the RNG to choose that) and breed the pokemon / train it to the proper level.

Sooyun
January 2nd, 2011, 08:51 AM
Are you allowed to trade mulitple pokemon (as in more than 6), because I would do it on White, and like every 2 routes I would substitute one of my pokemon (randomly) and pick a random pokemon to substitute it with the same lvl and legit moves. (and a diffrent OT of course)

You can trade in as many as you want, but you'll want to keep a regular team that you'll use for the majority of your game (for simplicity's sake I suppose). However, if you want to change Pokemon because one or two just aren't working for you, then yes, you can trade in as long as they're lvl 5 and under a different OT. I'm going to play it on White myself, but I'm adding the unevolved/baby challenge to the mix.

Pokémon Grey
January 2nd, 2011, 08:58 AM
how about a challenge where u pick only 2 egg groups
to use

myrrhman
January 2nd, 2011, 10:52 AM
IMO not a hard challenge at all. Even if you could only use one egg group, groups like Humanshape have access to Magmar, Electabuzz, Jynx, Machoke, and Alakazam. That's a pretty nice team right there. Egg group challenge would just be another one of those challenges that selects a set of Pokemon you can use. We're trying to stay away from that.

Sooyun
January 2nd, 2011, 11:18 AM
Egg group challenges are very easy, like myrrhman said. Plus, it would be too close to a Monotype challenge since some Pokemon in the same egg group usually share 1 or 2 typings. BTW, I created the thread for my challenge this morning. I'm just wondering whether you all are in the process of giving your "Yea" or "Nay"? Unless you're filtering through the dozens of other challenges looking for the good/decent ones? lol

Enigma
January 2nd, 2011, 03:42 PM
The egg group challenge sounds a little easy, unless you mixed it up a little. Like having a party of 6, and your pokemon must altogether belong to 12 different groups (similar to the 12 type challenge). That would be a challenge I would gladly participate in.

I just finished my Duospecies run for the 2nd gen on Crystal. Just gotta do Emerald and a 4th gen game, and I'm done. I could probably finish by tomorrow....

Xilfer
January 2nd, 2011, 04:29 PM
Me! Me!

Maybe something where you go through the whole game with pokemon that can't evolve.

example: you say you want six pokemon from the hoenn region:

Absol
Sableye
Mawile
Plusle
Volbeat
Torkoal

No picking pairs, plusle and minun together is not allowed, Illumise and Volbeat together is not allowed, that's just to make it harder ;)
also, the next poster is the one that picks your pokemon for you.

I am going to start this thread myself.

Enigma
January 2nd, 2011, 04:43 PM
Me! Me!

Maybe something where you go through the whole game with pokemon that can't evolve.

example: you say you want six pokemon from the hoenn region:

Absol
Sableye
Mawile
Plusle
Volbeat
Torkoal

No picking pairs, plusle and minun together is not allowed, Illumise and Volbeat together is not allowed, that's just to make it harder ;)
also, the next poster is the one that picks your pokemon for you.

I am going to start this thread myself.

Pretty sure that this is the same thing as the No Family challenge, which we already have. :/

EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see it anywhere on the first page, so maybe you could just recreate that one? (if everyone else actually wants to do that challenge)

myrrhman
January 2nd, 2011, 06:04 PM
Yeah it's been done before, minus the 'no pairs' restriction. I mean, I'd do it, but then again, some of my favorite Pokemon don't evolve (Lapras, Heracross, Sableye, Spiritomb). Also, if you do the no pairs thing, the already limited selection of Pokemon is further edited down. I think its fine if you end up getting pairs/counterparts, only a couple are like the same type (Plusle/Minun, Volbeat/Illumise and Solrock/Lunatone). I really don't see why you would need to take out Pokemon if they have a counterpart.

Enigma
January 2nd, 2011, 06:43 PM
I'd probably do it, since I never had the chance to do the No Family Challenge. I do have to agree though, the no pairs thing is kind of pointless. You wouldn't have much diversity anyway if you did use a pair.
My Personality Challenge is finally getting off to a start, if anyone wants me to assign them a team.

Jak
January 2nd, 2011, 06:46 PM
IMO not a hard challenge at all. Even if you could only use one egg group, groups like Humanshape have access to Magmar, Electabuzz, Jynx, Machoke, and Alakazam. That's a pretty nice team right there. Egg group challenge would just be another one of those challenges that selects a set of Pokemon you can use. We're trying to stay away from that.

Wait, I'm sorry, what? When did we say we wanted to stay away from challenges that you get to choose your team? Guys, no offense, but when you say things like that, it's really discouraging. We don't need every challenge to be strikingly hard. We don't need every challenge to have Pokemon assigned by another challenger. Like I said before, we're doing a good job of keeping a good variety of difficulty with the challenges we have. Let's not take that away, please. Just because that challenge seems easy doesn't mean you have to make it easy. Just because someone might hypothetically choose that certain team if they choose Humanshape as an Egg Group doesn't mean everyone that participates in the challenge will choose an team like that.

Sorry, I just felt like that was a little rude to say we're steering clear of those types of challenges, because we're not. Just because a challenge doesn't seem "challenging" to some doesn't mean it's not to others. Please keep that in mind, and realize that you guys aren't the ones approving the challenges. I am.

/a bit irked today, sorry

myrrhman
January 2nd, 2011, 10:45 PM
I certainly didn't mean to sound discouraging when I said that. Nor do I think that Pokemon assigned by another challenger in general are any harder/easier than those that you select your own team. I understand that the only person who gets to approve challenges is you.

I guess what I was trying to say was that I'm sorta sick of challenges that just groups the Pokemon together, and then you pick a group. Monotype, Color, Special Pairs, Beginning letter, Anime, that's all they do. You pick a group, and then you pick 3-6 from that group. While they are all different, and range in difficulty, they're all so similar.

Challenges like the Nuzlocke/Solo/Favorite/Scramble are more fun (in my opinion) because they're all so different from each other. In the Nuzlocke, you can just have bad luck and be screwed over if you find yet another pidgey as your first Pokemon on a route or if one of your hard trained Pokemon faints to an unlucky Critical Hit. In the solo you only get one single Pokemon to use, but it can be anyone you want. The favorite can screw you over if you like a Pokemon like Caterpie and it unluckily gets picked. In the scramble, you are in no control of what your team looks like. I like these challenges so much because there is so much variety in them. I guess in my frustration of another game of categories, I misspoke. I apologize.

Sooyun
January 2nd, 2011, 11:17 PM
Wait, I'm sorry, what? When did we say we wanted to stay away from challenges that you get to choose your team? Guys, no offense, but when you say things like that, it's really discouraging. We don't need every challenge to be strikingly hard. We don't need every challenge to have Pokemon assigned by another challenger. Like I said before, we're doing a good job of keeping a good variety of difficulty with the challenges we have. Let's not take that away, please. Just because that challenge seems easy doesn't mean you have to make it easy. Just because someone might hypothetically choose that certain team if they choose Humanshape as an Egg Group doesn't mean everyone that participates in the challenge will choose an team like that.

Sorry, I just felt like that was a little rude to say we're steering clear of those types of challenges, because we're not. Just because a challenge doesn't seem "challenging" to some doesn't mean it's not to others. Please keep that in mind, and realize that you guys aren't the ones approving the challenges. I am.

/a bit irked today, sorry

Sorry you're irked today Sydian.

No disrespect to you, but myrrhman does have a point in regard to the constant groupings, classifications, and exclusions (like this isn't already shoved down our throats by the games themselves) that is present in a lot of challenges of late. How many Pokemon are there now? 649? There is so much potential that can be done as far as changing the way the games are played beyond egg groups, monotypes, etc. That's one of the reasons people love the games because the games set themselves as blank slates that make possibilities endless. Why limit ourselves to a few types of challenges simply because they'll get the most feedback when there can be many things possible that people haven't even thought of -or have thought of, but are too timid to voice for fear of it being too different to be noticed?

myrrhman
January 2nd, 2011, 11:38 PM
Sorry you're irked today Sydian.

No disrespect to you, but myrrhman does have a point in regard to the constant groupings, classifications, and exclusions (like this isn't already shoved down our throats by the games themselves) that is present in a lot of challenges of late. How many Pokemon are there now? 649? There is so much potential that can be done as far as changing the way the games are played beyond egg groups, monotypes, etc. That's one of the reasons people love the games because the games set themselves as blank slates that make possibilities endless. Why limit ourselves to a few types of challenges simply because they'll get the most feedback when there can be many things possible that people haven't even thought of -or have thought of, but are too timid to voice for fear of it being too different to be noticed?
I think you have it wrong. The problem isn't that people are scared that challenges will be too different, the problem is that they don't know how similar they are to other challenges. The invention of Monotype Challenges was a great thing. I believe it was the spark that led to there even being a Challenge section, because the challenge was so popular that people started trying to think of other things like it. It is great because there are some easy types and some hard types, and some easy gens and some hard gens. But the main thing is that it was the first of its kind. Because it is so popular, unfortunately all the other challenges similar to it (as discussed in above post) are just going to be compared to it, and unfortunately, not many, if any, of them will be seen as on par with the monotype challenge for it to really get off the ground.

Enigma
January 3rd, 2011, 01:27 AM
I feel like this is a bad time to propose a new challenge

How about a lyrics challenge, if it hasn't been done already? Pick your favorite song, pick up to six lines from the song, and pick a pokemon for each line?

*so eager that she already chose her to-be team*:
Song: Walk by Pantera

Can't you see I'm easily bothered by persistence <-- Slaking (lazy people are bother by people bothering them)
One step from lashing out at you... <-- Primeape (U mad?)
You want in to get under my skin <-- Arbok (Shed Skin for an ability)
And call yourself a friend <-- Plusle (Cheerleading, happy pokemon with Helping Hand)
I've got more friends like you <-- Minun (Same as above)
What do I do? <-- Ditto (Ditto does whatever you do, other wise it has no options)

Porygon Z
January 3rd, 2011, 04:00 AM
What about "The Ugliest Pokèmon Challenge"?

Basically, you choose from one to six of the ugliest Pokèmon ever, standing to your own tastes.
Then, you choose a game where these Pokèmon are findable or hackable, and use it on that game.

And, I agree to InfernoRogue's Lyrics Challenge, it would be very funny! =D

Sooyun
January 3rd, 2011, 06:26 AM
I agree to the lyrics challenge

January 3rd, 2011, 06:30 AM
Agreed to the Lyrics challenge, it lets you be creative.

And why don't we do something similar to the New year's egg swap, where you have 3 eggs and you are required to swap those slots at least 3 times before you can start? Or something like that.

It'd be cool.

myrrhman
January 3rd, 2011, 07:32 AM
I like the lyrics challenge.
As for the ugly challenge, could we do something random and rule out Purugly, so that people have to actually think about your team.
Egg Swap: I like it, as long as there are some ground rules. Since they're eggs, I know I'm going to breed on some good egg moves. I personally think everyone should do the same. Which would mean no Magikarp/Caterpie/etc. eggs. What do you guys think?

Timmetje
January 3rd, 2011, 09:36 AM
Maybe a nature challenge that will go like this.

You choose a nature, let's say Adamant
You pick your starter and check its nature
is it Adamant? You can use it. Is it another nature? You can use it until you find a pokémon of the right nature
After you have your starter and get your pokébals you may catch a pokémon. If it's the right nature you can have it. Otherwise you may never catch that pokémon again. Get it?

What do you think of that? You maybe can choose two natures to make it less hard if you want.

Enigma
January 3rd, 2011, 11:57 AM
I will be starting up the Lyrics challenge. ^_^

Ugliest: Might be a little hard for me to decide, but I guess I'd do it. xD Maybe I could pick a game with really bad sprites so I have a larger variety. (lolGreen)
Who knows, maybe it can evolve into a "Most Beautiful Pokemon Challenge". 8D

Egg swap: I think this is a great idea. So are you just breeding eggs and you just keep swapping them out until a certain point where you have 3 in your party and they hatch? Or is it literally like the New Year's Egg Swap? Because then people on emulators would have some trouble with this. They could still trade (even though a lot of people don't know how) but I find it kind of...troublesome. xP
Please tell me if I have the concept completely wrong, because I feel like I do.

Nature challenge: I think that version sounds okay. Having two natures would probably make it a little better, since there are twenty-five natures.

Jak
January 3rd, 2011, 12:25 PM
Lyrics challenge sounds amazing, I wish I had a game that I wasn't playing. ;-; Then again, I'd eventually get bored and forget about it. :(

Ugliest challenge...maaaay be a bit weird. There's a lot of Pokemon that some people think are ugly and some people like. For instance. I think Spiritomb is adorable, but most people think it's ugly and yeah, don't ask. lol But hey, I think it could still work.

I love the idea of the Egg Challenge. :)

myrrhman
January 3rd, 2011, 01:16 PM
But Syd, that's what keeps it fun. Some people will be like "OMG HOW CAN YOU THINK THAT SEED BBY IS UGLY" but you know that someone will...

And Karpman can confirm this, I absolutely hate trading. But I'd do it for the Egg Challenge.

Enigma
January 4th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I'll be posting up my challenge thread for the Lyrics Challenge soon, I almost forgot! xP

Exile
January 4th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I came up with the idea for a challenge, where you set up a small group and hold a "mini-draft" on MSN/AIM.
Basically you would draft evolution lines and playthrough the game. If a Pokemon faints, than it's permaboxed, although you
can catch/trade as many members of the evo lines you drafted as you want.
EDIT: Oh yes, Myrrh detests trading, he doesn't even want to use a Kingdra for his HG Water Monotype.

jdthebud
January 4th, 2011, 07:29 PM
EDIT: Oh yes, Myrrh detests trading, he doesn't even want to use a Kingdra for his HG Water Monotype.
This is why emulators = win. Pokesav FTW! I would wait until I actually get the Dragon Scale though lol (semi-legit?)

myrrhman
January 4th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I came up with the idea for a challenge, where you set up a small group and hold a "mini-draft" on MSN/AIM.
Basically you would draft evolution lines and playthrough the game. If a Pokemon faints, than it's permaboxed, although you
can catch/trade as many members of the evo lines you drafted as you want.
Your cool idea gave me a cool idea! Pokecommunity should hold a cup of sorts. We have a signup time. Everyone who wants to participate in the cup signs up. Then, two teams are made, with an equal balance of experienced people, new people, and people in between. Then, we'll have two different drafts, one for the experienced people and one for the new people (so that there will be more Pokemon available). We'll set some rules like total number of rounds, maybe a "salary cap", etc. Then, we will publish another signup sheet. It will have some Nuzlockes, Monotypes, Solos, speed runs, etc. People on your team gather and sign up for slots in the challenges. We'll discuss beforehand if we want just one challenge per person, or if we want two, etc. People gather and discuss because some people won't have a strong team for Monotypes, but have one really strong solo runner. They'll sign up for a solo challenge most likely. You can only use your own Pokemon, not your teammates. After you have everyone on your team signed up, the other team's lineup would be revealed. Then you start playing your assigned challenge, and fastest completion (by in game time) of the challenge wins! There will be like a one month period to finish or else you forfeit and the other team wins. Whichever team gets the most points by the end of the month wins!

560cool.
January 5th, 2011, 12:14 AM
I like and (most probably) will participate in the following :

Lyrics Challenge (expect me spamming Eminem and Green Day a lot, lol n_n)
Ugliest Pokemon (maybe even use something like Feebas to make it more of a challenge... an of course, a ton of BW Pokemon)
Myrrh's idea is God, and we can implement it as a Challenge Get-Together... Anyone ? (:

Jak
January 5th, 2011, 12:22 AM
taht sounds like a good event fro the summer time atualy.

hey its two in the morning

stargate1995
January 5th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Your cool idea gave me a cool idea! Pokecommunity should hold a cup of sorts. We have a signup time. Everyone who wants to participate in the cup signs up. Then, two teams are made, with an equal balance of experienced people, new people, and people in between. Then, we'll have two different drafts, one for the experienced people and one for the new people (so that there will be more Pokemon available). We'll set some rules like total number of rounds, maybe a "salary cap", etc. Then, we will publish another signup sheet. It will have some Nuzlockes, Monotypes, Solos, speed runs, etc. People on your team gather and sign up for slots in the challenges. We'll discuss beforehand if we want just one challenge per person, or if we want two, etc. People gather and discuss because some people won't have a strong team for Monotypes, but have one really strong solo runner. They'll sign up for a solo challenge most likely. You can only use your own Pokemon, not your teammates. After you have everyone on your team signed up, the other team's lineup would be revealed. Then you start playing your assigned challenge, and fastest completion (by in game time) of the challenge wins! There will be like a one month period to finish or else you forfeit and the other team wins. Whichever team gets the most points by the end of the month wins!

Would definitely join this challenge if solo running was put into it :D

chaos11011
January 5th, 2011, 06:25 AM
> "It will have some Nuzlockes, Monotypes, Solos, speed runs, etc. People on your team gather and sign up for slots in the challenges"

> "It will have some Nuzlockes, Monotypes, Solos, speed runs, etc."

> "It will have some Nuzlockes"

> "Nuzlockes"

Count me in :DD

Hallylicious
January 5th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Not sure how well this would work or if it would catch on.

But what about a challenge where you can ONLY use the 5 pokeballs the professor gives you at the start of the game. If you blow all 5 on one pokemon or fail to catch one at all then your stuck with the pokemon you have for the rest of the game.

myrrhman
January 5th, 2011, 07:19 AM
There would have to be a rule for HM slaves. Because if you start with a Charmander and then blow your Pokeballs on Pidgeys, you can't get across water at all.

And I'm glad everyone likes the idea. I think we should publish the first sign up sheet in the notices right as it hits summer, to give us the most time. So I think we should take these 5 months to make sure everything will run smoothly.

January 5th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Is there a way to be on the organizational committee of that event? If so, I'm interested.

Jak
January 5th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Not sure how well this would work or if it would catch on.

But what about a challenge where you can ONLY use the 5 pokeballs the professor gives you at the start of the game. If you blow all 5 on one pokemon or fail to catch one at all then your stuck with the pokemon you have for the rest of the game.

I think we had one, but it's not active anymore. Feel free to remake it. I also feel bad for the poor sucker that ends up having to keep a Beedrill on the squad.

Also, I'm...never posting in here at 2 AM. Ever. Again. :|

chaos11011
January 5th, 2011, 11:23 AM
As active as you think Summer will be, where I live I will have no break what-so-ever. SO having it in the summer won't really be the best for me. Because that's the busiest time of the year for me.

Exile
January 5th, 2011, 02:12 PM
This is something we're definetly doing, I agree with Syd though, we can save it for break. I'd rather we give points for each someone time a certain type challenge with their team, and we can have divisions/brackets if too many sign up and we don't have enough evo lines to hand out. We'll have a lot of time to plan it out so it's fair and fun. Legends will be barred from participation, of course.
This is going to be amazing.

Enigma
January 5th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Attempting to get White to work is holding my challenges back...it keeps freezing when I first battle Belle in my house and I attempt to use a move
I will kick myself so that I can get up the lyrics challenge. Now. xD

In response to myrrhman's challenge idea, I would love to join that. Hopefully I can be an asset to whatever team I'm on.

Exile
January 5th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Attempting to get White to work is holding my challenges back...it keeps freezing when I first battle Belle in my house and I attempt to use a move
I will kick myself so that I can get up the lyrics challenge. Now. xD

In response to myrrhman's challenge idea, I would love to join that. Hopefully I can be an asset to whatever team I'm on.

If you're using no$gba, then that's going to happen, sorry bro.
Anyhow, I really like the idea of teams, I imagine members' "Challenge Points" adding up to give the team a total.Myrrh and I will get everything squared away on AIM, hopefully.

Weavile05
January 5th, 2011, 05:08 PM

I'll join, and attempt to do a Monotype. I'm pretty decent at those (as soon as I can figure out how to beat the Johto E4 that is...lol)

myrrhman
January 5th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I'll join, and attempt to do a Monotype. I'm pretty decent at those (as soon as I can figure out how to beat the Johto E4 that is...lol)
But that's not that hard... Just get someone that can learn the punches. Duo/Trio with them and you'll be very highly leveled.

Enigma
January 5th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Got White to work. 8D Which means I can continue on Pearl without anything bothering me.
slaps herself so she posts the thread /finally did it. 8D

myrrhman
January 6th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Inferno hurt herself in confusion!

But yeah, Karpman and I were talking on AIM and these were the general agreements we came up with (a lot of these ideas we've already discussed, but now it looks a little prettier)

There would be two teams with balanced members on each side. A committee (set up here, soon) will check and balance the teams out.
Once the teams are set up, we will move on to a draft. Selections would be based off of families, not individual Pokemon. I think there are around 290 families of Pokemon, and I imagined somewhere around 10 families per person, which would allow up to 29 participants. If we have more than that, I think we should do an upper (more experienced) division and a lower (less experienced) division. The two teams would stay the same, just for the selection of Pokemon, you are put into divisions.
For the draft, Pokemon will be arranged based on how good they are, and assigned a number ranging from something like 1-5. During the draft, there will be a number (subject to change, but I say something around 30) that cannot be exceeded with your 10 pokemon. This way, certain teams won't be too much better than other teams. It will be more about diversity over pure power.
After all the Pokemon are distributed, a new sign up sheet is introduced. This will have a certain number of monotypes, solo challenges, Nuzlockes, etc. for the team members to sign up for. They will not know this/have access to this list until they pick Pokemon, so they can't really plan on making certain teams for every challenge, because they won't know exactly how many of each challenge there will be.
After each team has signed up on the second sheet, you will "race" by in game time on livestream. The first person to finish the challenge wins points for their team. Certain "harder" challenges will be worth more points than the "easier" challenges. If the person you are racing does not do their challenge in a certain amount of time, they are disqualified and you win by default.

For the point totals, Karpman and I are planning on each making a rough draft of what we think the values should be, and then comparing notes. You guys can join in if you want. What do you think about the whole thing?

stargate1995
January 6th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Inferno hurt herself in confusion!

But yeah, Karpman and I were talking on AIM and these were the general agreements we came up with (a lot of these ideas we've already discussed, but now it looks a little prettier)

There would be two teams with balanced members on each side. A committee (set up here, soon) will check and balance the teams out.
Once the teams are set up, we will move on to a draft. Selections would be based off of families, not individual Pokemon. I think there are around 290 families of Pokemon, and I imagined somewhere around 10 families per person, which would allow up to 29 participants. If we have more than that, I think we should do an upper (more experienced) division and a lower (less experienced) division. The two teams would stay the same, just for the selection of Pokemon, you are put into divisions.
For the draft, Pokemon will be arranged based on how good they are, and assigned a number ranging from something like 1-5. During the draft, there will be a number (subject to change, but I say something around 30) that cannot be exceeded with your 10 pokemon. This way, certain teams won't be too much better than other teams. It will be more about diversity over pure power.
After all the Pokemon are distributed, a new sign up sheet is introduced. This will have a certain number of monotypes, solo challenges, Nuzlockes, etc. for the team members to sign up for. They will not know this/have access to this list until they pick Pokemon, so they can't really plan on making certain teams for every challenge, because they won't know exactly how many of each challenge there will be.
After each team has signed up on the second sheet, you will "race" by in game time on livestream. The first person to finish the challenge wins points for their team. Certain "harder" challenges will be worth more points than the "easier" challenges. If the person you are racing does not do their challenge in a certain amount of time, they are disqualified and you win by default.

For the point totals, Karpman and I are planning on each making a rough draft of what we think the values should be, and then comparing notes. You guys can join in if you want. What do you think about the whole thing?

Hmm this sounds good, but will there be certain rules about the 2x speed button on emulators, or will we not even be allowed emulators? Anyway I'm a bit confused about the live stream stuff seen as I've never used it.

Just a question, Say I join up to a solo challenge and am assigned with the following families:
Bulbusaur-Venusuar, Growlithe-Arcanine, Ryhdon-Rhyperior, Dratini-Dragonite, Hoppip-Jumpluff, Unown, Wurmple-Dustox/Beautifly, Feebas-Milotic, Gible-Garchomp and Dokkora-Roopushin.
I then pick to solo with Bulbasaur through Venusuar, once I have finished the first challenge if I do another challenge am I limited to the pokemon that I have already been given, the same pokemon as I used before or am I given a completely new set of pokemon?

chaos11011
January 6th, 2011, 03:59 AM
So wait, for people on Nuzlocke how will that work? If a certain group (or person) has 10 families, will you start off the game with those 10, or will you still have to take the chance of "not find the Pokemon on the First encounter" or will you have infinate times to catch that Pokeon, but capture that Pokemon once.

Alternative
January 6th, 2011, 07:09 AM
I have a question for you challengers.
I'm seriously considering pulling out my old GBA (yes, that old dusty thing) and playing through my game of Ruby again. I want to partake in a challenge when I play through this time, instead of my standard Swampert/Torkoal/Tropius run. What challenge would you people recommend for one who only vaguely remembers the layout of Hoenn?

chaos11011
January 6th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Nuzlocke and Monotypes are the best.

If you want more spice go for the Survival Challenge.

myrrhman
January 6th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Hmm this sounds good, but will there be certain rules about the 2x speed button on emulators, or will we not even be allowed emulators? Anyway I'm a bit confused about the live stream stuff seen as I've never used it.

Just a question, Say I join up to a solo challenge and am assigned with the following families:
Bulbusaur-Venusuar, Growlithe-Arcanine, Ryhdon-Rhyperior, Dratini-Dragonite, Hoppip-Jumpluff, Unown, Wurmple-Dustox/Beautifly, Feebas-Milotic, Gible-Garchomp and Dokkora-Roopushin.
I then pick to solo with Bulbasaur through Venusuar, once I have finished the first challenge if I do another challenge am I limited to the pokemon that I have already been given, the same pokemon as I used before or am I given a completely new set of pokemon?
We might not even need to care about the 2x speed. Since we're going with in game time (At least I think we should), if you use the speed button, that will only hurt your time if you hit a wall.

I thought that it would be more like everyone just has one or two challenges to do. That way, the number of challenges completed stays the same and makes it easier on the committee to see who won.
So wait, for people on Nuzlocke how will that work? If a certain group (or person) has 10 families, will you start off the game with those 10, or will you still have to take the chance of "not find the Pokemon on the First encounter" or will you have infinate times to catch that Pokemon, but capture that Pokemon once.
I was thinking about that. I'm thinking that if you're doing a Nuzlocke, since the Nuzlocke challenge basically completely goes against this challenge, if you end up picking Nuzlocke for your challenge, the Pokemon that you use for the draft just don't matter. That's still okay if we choose to have everyone do two challenges each, because then you can pick a Nuzlocke and a non Nuzlocke and still need the Pokemon you picked. If we only do one challenge per person, then you probably want to pick worse Pokemon, because your team would need the better ones. I've also thought about breaking the draft instead of a free for all and going against everyone, breaking into teams and each team gets to choose through all the Pokemon.
I have a question for you challengers.
I'm seriously considering pulling out my old GBA (yes, that old dusty thing) and playing through my game of Ruby again. I want to partake in a challenge when I play through this time, instead of my standard Swampert/Torkoal/Tropius run. What challenge would you people recommend for one who only vaguely remembers the layout of Hoenn?Hmmm, well Nuzlocke would always be fun, especially if you don't remember the region very well. Honestly, I would stay away from a solo, because I always want to use Swampert (he's just so good, what can I say?) You might want to try a monotype to force yourself to use more than just Swampert, or pick a type that's not water or ground.

560cool.
January 6th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I really do think we should use myrrh's idea as a Challenge Get-Together. Like I mentioned before, this could help gain more members to our community, making Challenges an important forum. 8) hooray !

Exile
January 6th, 2011, 12:14 PM

I brought up the idea that all challenges should be done on a Universal SS ROM with all trade/sinnoh evos enabled to happen by level/happiness, whilst talking with Myrrh. The challenges will be done on Livestream with a Host watching (if one of the hosts are busy we can find a replacement supervisor) and any cheaters will be barred from further participation.

560cool.
January 6th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I brought up the idea that all challenges should be done on a Universal SS ROM with all trade/sinnoh evos enabled to happen by level/happiness, whilst talking with Myrrh. The challenges will be done on Livestream with a Host watching (if one of the hosts are busy we can find a replacement supervisor) and any cheaters will be barred from further participation.

Maybe some people have pretty weak machines (or netbooks...) and can't run a DS ROM properly. I think that people should decide whether they want Gen I or V, or anything inbetween (spelled it wrong, I think >.<).

jdthebud
January 6th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Maybe some people have pretty weak machines (or netbooks...) and can't run a DS ROM properly. I think that people should decide whether they want Gen I or V, or anything inbetween (spelled it wrong, I think >.<).
Also, a lot of the HG/SS roms are broken. I still have a freezing issue on mine. I got used to it (save a lot, exit the emulator instead of resetting to overwrite the save file), but for those who haven't played on a rom, this would cause major frustration. I also agree with 560cool on the comp issue.

I think we should have different generations up for grabs as well. I would try and get Blue because that's the only cartridge I have. Everything else is on my comp, and if I tried to play Red or Yellow, the speed button would totally mess me up - gotta assign something like the end button of something lol.

Why not try and see if we can do multiple generations/regions? There's more variety that way, and you can split the families based on game availability as well.

Exile
January 6th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I'd really like to keep it in one generation, it being the 4th one.
It has a good variety of Pokemon to choose from and I can use an evo editor without a Windows 7 .ocx error.
I'll talk it over with Myrrh.

myrrhman
January 6th, 2011, 03:32 PM
We should make it multiple generations. For a lot of people like myself, challenges can be done on many different generations. They should probably sign up on the sign up sheet last, because they can be placed wherever needed.

I think Karpman's idea of universal games potentially work, but I'd like to try to stay away from that. You can still trade on ROMs with various methods (TGB, VBA link) and no challenge requires you to trade, so I feel that if you want a Pokemon that evolves via trade, you should get the emulator yourself.

As far as later generations (IV and V), if you want to use them and can't find a good ROM for them, but sign up for the challenge anyways, tough cookies. You still have a month to find a good ROM.

I guess the next step here is to determine how many people need to be on the committee.

January 6th, 2011, 05:35 PM
A Specialist in each challenge, a moderator (Sydian, of course), and several hosts. Maybe some monitors/judges. These are my ideas. Also, are we going to do challenges other than Solo, Nuzlocke, and Monotypes? Or is that definitely it?

myrrhman
January 6th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I'd like to do some speedruns, where game time doesn't matter but real time does (so basically tape down your speed button). I also want to do more challenges, but I'm starting to draw blanks here. Any help?

And yes, I think that's an appropriate sized committee.

January 6th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I was thinking of the random challenge, but that varies from people to people, and doesn't fit in with the specific family clause.

What about the egg swap challenge, mentioned a while back? We can prohibit any "useless" eggs. It's also a fitting event challenge.

Exile
January 6th, 2011, 06:00 PM
I guess Multiple gens are ok, but they would just limit your use of the Pokemon you select in the draft.
@649, we'll probably need some help monitoring challengers.

stargate1995
January 6th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Multiple gens would help alot seen as I'm sure it's not just me who has problems emulating ds games thanks to owning a mac, anyway I find the gba games alot better to challenge(fast forward button :D). If only there was a way to screen record on a flash card.

Jak
January 6th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I probably won't participate, but yes, events do need a moderator, and I have no problem in doing so. I didn't really feel like reading everything because I didn't want my brain to explode, so I don't know if this has been said, but are we planning on doing this at the beginning of summer or for the get-together? Cause personally, I would rather have it during the get-together this year since last year our plans for having a challenge in the GT didn't work out too well. And since this is a big event, we don't need an event every month or two like discussed in the ideas thread for this year. I should probably lock that now since we know what we're going to do. lol

I also have a little something planned for next month. Not too big, kinda of minor and silly considering it's a Valentine's Day thing, but it's more of a pilot than anything. And no, I'm not telling you what it is. 8) Just know it's nothing long and drawn out, and it's very simple and doesn't require starting a new game unless you want to.

myrrhman
January 6th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Is it a race to get a Luvdisc/Smoochum?

And yeah, I think that would be awesome, doing it in the get together. But, I think we should hold a small one sooner, just to test it to see if it runs smoothly.

Jak
January 6th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Get togethers are normally in August, so obviously we don't want it during a month touching that. And then there will be something next month. So...I'm thinking the best months for that would be April, May, or June? (I typed Mary instead of May for a second. Dunno what I was thinking.)

And no, it's not a race! XD

Alternative
January 6th, 2011, 11:32 PM
I think I have a challenge in mind for myself, which is similar to the monotype challenge, but a little different.
Hm... how do I explain this... Well, Let's say I start out with Mudkip, which evolves into Swampert, a water/ground type. My next pokemon would have to have either one of those types. Next, I would use a Wingull, which is Water/Flying. now I would have to choose either a water or flying type Pokemon as my next one, such as Taillow.

tl;dr You have to use a Pokemon with at least one type in common with the last Pokemon you choose to train.

jdthebud
January 7th, 2011, 12:24 AM
What would one have to do to be a part of the initial test for the draft thingy - what is the name of it, anyway? 8D

myrrhman
January 7th, 2011, 01:06 AM
I like that idea, alternative. You can, however, with your rules, do a monotype challenge. So, I'd put something in the rules about you can only use the same type 3 times in a row or something, to prevent this.

jd, we'll eventually have a thread for it or something for it. Just stay on PC and you'll see it.

chaos11011
January 7th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Here's two nifty runs I've found (not made by me but someone on the Nuzlocke Forums)

You are forbidden to not teach a Pokémon a new move it will learn. So even when it's useless, you HAVE to teach it your Pokémon. Also when you find a new TM, you HAVE to teach it one Pokémon in your team (or maybe box) immediately. When no of your Pokémon can learn the TM, you have to throw it away/sell it.

Another rule:
You are not able to use a move twice in a row. Pokémon who only know just one move may be an exeption.

January 8th, 2011, 08:10 PM
This is a really good challenge Idea. The Sketch Challenge! You would need YAPE, though. Basically, you pick your pokemon, and edit their learnsets, replacing every move with Sketch! Imagine the infinite possibilities!

mamoswineftw
January 9th, 2011, 01:22 AM
I think we should have different generations up for grabs as well. I would try and get Blue because that's the only cartridge I have. Everything else is on my comp, and if I tried to play Red or Yellow, the speed button would totally mess me up - gotta assign something like the end button of something lol.

I recommend looking up something called 'Lameboy' that works on R4's and such - it's a great way to emulate gens I&II with some speed without it getting to the ridiculous speeds VBA does. Look it up on google (need 3 more posts before I can put up links), the info's there.

And to the others, I'd like to express an interest in this big challenge thingy that you're thinking of organising. I'm going to read up on it after this post, but I'm definitely interested.

560cool.
January 9th, 2011, 04:49 AM
Here's two nifty runs I've found (not made by me but someone on the Nuzlocke Forums)

You are forbidden to not teach a Pokémon a new move it will learn. So even when it's useless, you HAVE to teach it your Pokémon. Also when you find a new TM, you HAVE to teach it one Pokémon in your team (or maybe box) immediately. When no of your Pokémon can learn the TM, you have to throw it away/sell it.

Another rule:
You are not able to use a move twice in a row. Pokémon who only know just one move may be an exeption.

Awesome idea, chaos. I really love it, and would play it as soon as it gets accepted. How about we name it... gah, I really have nothing in my mind...

This is a really good challenge Idea. The Sketch Challenge! You would need YAPE, though. Basically, you pick your pokemon, and edit their learnsets, replacing every move with Sketch! Imagine the infinite possibilities!

Also good, but using YAPE for every Pokemon would turn out horribly tedious. I say just edit the moveset for the Pokemon you plan to use. That would be so much easier.

Enigma
January 9th, 2011, 09:41 AM

Another rule:

This is a really good idea. I'd love to join this challenge. even though I have like twenty still to do

myrrhman
January 9th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Whelp, bad news. While on vacation last week, my laptop decided to stop working. Took it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy and they said I needed a new battery that would run me about $115. This laptop died on my birthday. FML.

January 10th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Whelp, bad news. While on vacation last week, my laptop decided to stop working. Took it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy and they said I needed a new battery that would run me about $115. This laptop died on my birthday. FML.

That's amazing. Did you post that on FML? You should.

And Im doing another one of those random moveset challenges. The one I created myself, using YAPE and a random number generator. Basically, I pick 3 random pokemon, and replace every move in their learnset with a random move. And I also randomize the types and abilities. It's awesome. I got a Flying/Dark Magcargo with Fly, Torment, Sky Uppercut, Ice Punch, etc. It has the ability Water Absorb O_o.

However, I can't create a thread, as it's too much bother for most people. Anybody express any interest in this?

Jak
January 11th, 2011, 05:41 PM
That sounds really interesting, tbh. That Magcargo sounds hilarious. XD;

Oh and happy birthday Myrrh. Sorry it sucked. :( o yeah hay guyz im bak frum mai break lol

jdthebud
January 11th, 2011, 07:14 PM
lol, Sydian double posted. Irony FTW!

Enigma
January 11th, 2011, 07:15 PM
My old computer's monitor died on my birthday a few years ago. :c Then I got a new one...the computer itself died.

I really need to focus on a challenge...I'll probably zoom through a bunch during my 3 day weekend coming up.

myrrhman
January 11th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Well, good news. I took it back to Geek Squad and basically the geek there said he was a higher level geek and that I just need to wiggle my power cord when I plug it in. Which worked. I might have to get a part soldered on inside my laptop. But, if I can just live with a laptop that I have to jiggle the power cord in, it's not broken. Which I am doing.

Also the birthday ended a little better. I got enough money to fence next semester again (thank Arceus, I didn't think I was going to be able to).

I too am having problems choosing which challenge to beat. I'm working on a Nuzlocke, but I have like 4 other challenges that I've started. The problem is that most of them are Ultimate Challenges, and I'm on DPPt, which I don't want to start because its my least favorite generation and it takes the longest. Oh well, back to the Nuzlocke I guess.

Enigma
January 11th, 2011, 09:05 PM
What you just said about the Ultimate Challenges is so very true. I'm on Pearl for my Ultimate Duospecies, and I've been so...reluctant to begin because I would also have to say that 4th gen is my least favorite, with the exception of HG/SS. Then again, I have RL stuff popping up everywhere, so that makes it more difficult to find the time. :/

Alternative
January 12th, 2011, 03:51 AM
I too am having problems choosing which challenge to beat. I'm working on a Nuzlocke, but I have like 4 other challenges that I've started. The problem is that most of them are Ultimate Challenges, and I'm on DPPt, which I don't want to start because its my least favorite generation and it takes the longest. Oh well, back to the Nuzlocke I guess.
You could always try out my challenge, the newest challenge on the block. I'm only doing my challenge so far on Emerald. :)

myrrhman
January 12th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Well, my point is that I want to finish all the ones that I'm on now. I'll probably get around to doing it sometime though.

560cool.
January 12th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Fencing, myrrh. Still doing it ? <3 Me too. (:

And I'm really inactive. Not challenges, not discussion. But my best friend is another person, on the good side. And the details of my inactiveness stop there. Oh, and my Maths recovery. Just one more 10 (A) and my semestrial grade will become... 8 (-B) :D :> n_n'

PS : Sydian always double-posts most of the time often. Must be the evil Internet. Or PC connection.

Also myrrh, my old netbook (that 4 GB HDD thingamajong I kept complaining about. Remember ?) also had the same problem with the jiggly power cord for charge. One of the [thousands] of reasons why I dropped.

And now my monitor's also's gotten a jiggly cord... but I kinda tied it to my speaker, and it seems to do the job. (:

chaos11011
January 12th, 2011, 03:16 PM
HEY GUYZ I THOUGHT UP ME A CHALLENGE!

The Domino Challenge.

I can't explain it to well so I'm going to explain it in Examples.

(The Starter is excluded for type issue btw)

Lets say you have a Budew, it's Grass / Poison, (so its domino would be like 1|4) so you have to get a Poison type as your next pokemon. So you find a Zubat, Poison / Flying(So it's domino would be 4 | 2) and you MUST add it to a team. Add ect.

So your team at this point would be [1|4][4|2]. If you find a Flying type, you must add it to your team.

Add any Rules for extra spice, like Nuzlocke, or just leave it plain and boom your done.

Alternative
January 12th, 2011, 03:22 PM
From what I understand, this challenge is pretty much the same as the Semi-Type (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=240580) challenge, but I couldn't think of a better name for it. Still, it seems pretty much the same imo.

chaos11011
January 12th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Yeah, right after I posted that, I saw your thread.

But there's a diffrence though, on your challenge if you find a Wingull you can use a Water OR a Flying type.

On mine you have to use the the Flying type if you found a Water Pokemon before it. And Vice Versa.

And correct me on this but on my challenge the next possible pokemon you find you MUST catch it. I don't think that's the case on yours ( I skimmed through the Thread, so I didnt quite catch it)

Alternative
January 12th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Sounds a lot like mine, but with just a few elements from Nuzlocke thrown into the mixture as well. I know on my thread I said you can go with the "domino" style as well, which is what I've been currently doing.

Jak
January 12th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Don't think we'd need a thread for that, when it's only a minor change from what Alternative already posted.

chaos11011
January 12th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Great, for once in my life, I get a good idea, but it's "outclassed" by something else.

:/

Alternative
January 12th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I don't think your idea is outclassed, just not thought of soon enough.

myrrhman
January 12th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Good try, chaos. You're on the right track. Now think of an even BETTER challenge, but quick! Someone's about to think of it first I bet!

In other news, my challenge productivity is about to go down. School starts tomorrow. I have to get up at noon to make it to my bowling class on time. XD I love my life.

Exile
January 13th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Well in other news, I've undertaken Patchisou Yutohru's Rocket-Themed Nuzlocke.
It's not very fun grinding Ratatas and Zubats, but I imagine it will be rewarding in the end ;D

Jak
January 13th, 2011, 11:55 AM
What the hell? Bowling class? Actually, I think we have a rock climbing class here...but still. Bowling. Do want.

Dude, are you even allowed to evolve the Zubat into Crobat? :| Or are you forever stuck with Golbat? And um Nick better be participating or I'll kill him.

Exile
January 13th, 2011, 06:03 PM
What the hell? Bowling class? Actually, I think we have a rock climbing class here...but still. Bowling. Do want.

Dude, are you even allowed to evolve the Zubat into Crobat? :| Or are you forever stuck with Golbat? And um Nick better be participating or I'll kill him.

Yeah we are, one of the reasons I actually undertook it is because he added Honchkrow to the list. I'll update if I beat Falkner, which may or may not happen.
If the challenge somehow dies, well I have my own Nuzlocke spin-off idea, but I'm not going to wish that on the challenge. More people need to check it out though, the work he put into it is obvious.

Alternative
January 13th, 2011, 06:08 PM
You can tell that he's put a lot of work into making that challenge, but I probably won't participate in it. I don't feel too fond of restarting my Soulsilver game or playing that game on an emulator.

Sooyun
January 13th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I just thought of a new challenge (if no one else has tried this) since "Thank You For the Gift" is looking rather... dead -_-;; .

Title: Zodiac Challenge
Games: Misc
Premise: Play the games with Pokemon that correspond with your Asian, Western, American Indian, and Aztec zodiac signs and elements according to

Western and Chinese Zodiac (http://www.fortunesnow.com/newsite/library/zodiac.asp)

Indian Zodiac (http://www.xtraastrology.com/native_american_astrology.html)

Aztec Zodiac (http://www.thebookofshadows.net/aztec-horoscope.html)

Refer to http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Species for Pokemon to choose.

Rules:
1. Events are allowed, but no Legendaries.
2. Trades are allowed for evolving.
3. Emulators are allowed.
4. Hacks such as Pokemon modifier is allowed for level 5 base evolutions of Pokemon not available in-game.
5. You do not need to use direct zodiacs if they come out as objects (like a scale or house). For objects, you can use Pokemon associated with those objects.

personal example:

Chinese Zodiac: Sheep
Chinese element: Metal
Western Zodiac: Taurus
Western element: Earth
Indian Zodiac: Beaver
Indian element: Earth & Fire
Aztec Zodiac: Lizard

Name: Sooyun
Game: Platinum
Team: Mareep, Steelix, Tauros/Miltank, Nidoking/Nidoqueen, Bibarel/Lopunny, Charmander

Enigma
January 13th, 2011, 09:35 PM
^ Really interesting challenge, especially with the news arising of a new zodiac sign.

On a personal note, I would just like to say that generation 4 is so slooooooow. :c

myrrhman
January 13th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I didn't know there was a new Zodiac. I kept seeing everyone saying stuff on facebook and i was like wtf are they talking about?

I just wish there was an easier way to play 4th gen on an emulator. By easier, I mean something with a speed button. And a way to hack, in case I'm doing a challenge that calls for it. Basically, I want an emulator that functions just like the GBA but can run DS games.

jdthebud
January 13th, 2011, 11:23 PM
I didn't know there was a new Zodiac. I kept seeing everyone saying stuff on facebook and i was like wtf are they talking about?

I just wish there was an easier way to play 4th gen on an emulator. By easier, I mean something with a speed button. And a way to hack, in case I'm doing a challenge that calls for it. Basically, I want an emulator that functions just like the GBA but can run DS games.You can use Pokesav for all the Gen IV games, I do that all the time. Also, No$gba has Gameshark/AR capability. I really hate that there is no speed button, though. You can only play at 2x speed max.

Alternative
January 14th, 2011, 03:41 AM
I never understood why Sinnoh is so slow to traverse through. Makes me wonder... :/

I've recently found my Ruby cartridge and am thinking of doing some sort of challenge on there, preferably monotype. I'd be willing to take suggestions as to what challenge to partake on said game, but I refuse to participate in Nuzlocke.

Sooyun
January 14th, 2011, 03:51 AM
I never understood why Sinnoh is so slow to traverse through. Makes me wonder... :/

I've recently found my Ruby cartridge and am thinking of doing some sort of challenge on there, preferably monotype. I'd be willing to take suggestions as to what challenge to partake on said game, but I refuse to participate in Nuzlocke.

I've never played Sinnoh passed the first few gyms. I think I quit with Fantima (sp?). At least my challenges will force me to finish, but idky, I prefer Isshu/Unova, Hoenn, Johto, and Kanto over Sinnoh. Something about it...

I have Sapphire myself. For monotype, I'd go with either Fire types, Dark types, Flying, Bug, or Normal if only to spite Sapphire for being so water biased.

Alternative
January 14th, 2011, 04:04 AM
I actually liked Hoenn, but the hugh amounts of Water and Water Pokemon was a big phat problem. If memory serves right, pretty much right after the sixth gym you had to travel by water. I do know about the Mr. Briney boat to Dewford and Slateport, but they're by boat, so I'm not counting that at the moment.

I have been thinking about going monotype Dark on Ruby, and I'm trying to think about what Pokemon it leaves me with. As far as I know, that would leave me with Mightyena, Shiftry, Sableye, Sharpedo, Cacturne and Crawdaunt. I'd even go with Normal, Poison, Steel or something else like Flying.

Sooyun
January 14th, 2011, 04:14 AM
I actually liked Hoenn, but the huge amounts of Water and Water Pokemon was a big phat problem. If memory serves right, pretty much right after the sixth gym you had to travel by water. I do know about the Mr. Briney boat to Dewford and Slateport, but they're by boat, so I'm not counting that at the moment.

I have been thinking about going monotype Dark on Ruby, and I'm trying to think about what Pokemon it leaves me with. As far as I know, that would leave me with Mightyena, Shiftry, Sableye, Sharpedo, Cacturne and Crawdaunt. I'd even go with Normal, Poison, Steel or something else like Flying.

Irk? I like Hoenn, but all that water was irking, especially since I dun leik Mudkipz and always restart my games with either Torchic or Treecko and the water types I use and abuse are Pelipper, Azumarill, and Kyogre. With Dark, that's a balanced team right there. Faster to find than Fire (most of my challenge so far practically had me solo-ing throughout half to 3/4ths the games.)

Alternative
January 14th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Ahh Mudkip. I remember the days where I'd run through the game using only Mudkip, Tropius and Torkoal. I don't know why I only used those three, but they seemed cool to me. I wouldn't actually mind going for the Flying Monotype, as it'd give me some nice Pokemon: Swellow, Beautifly, Pelipper, Skarmory etc.

Which for some reason leads me onto an idea for another challenge. I have no idea what it could be called, but you'd choose a Pokemon, any Pokemon which will be your main/starter Pokemon (you can hack it in if you wish to). This Pokemon has to be dual type, and for the challenge you'd need to have either 3 or 5 Pokemon on your team. Your main Pokemon would branch out into other Pokemon for their types. Your branched out Pokemon would have to be uno typed for this challenge, but if impossible (flying types) you can void this rule.

If that doesn't make sense, let me explain it differently. Let's say your main Pokemon will be a Tentacool, which will eventually become a Water/Poison type. If you choose to have five Pokemon on your team, you have to choose two Pokemon for your team which branch out from Tentacruel's typing, so you would need two pure Water types and two pure Poison types, so all in all, your team could be this.
Tentacruel
Wailmer
Azumarill
Swalot
Weezing

Sooyun
January 14th, 2011, 04:40 AM
You can use Pokesav for all the Gen IV games, I do that all the time. Also, No$gba has Gameshark/AR capability. I really hate that there is no speed button, though. You can only play at 2x speed max.

You could also get Game booster or Mz Game Accelerator. I'll pokesav for moves and items. Pokemon... nah. If only because they don't register in the (unalterable) dex and I haven't figured out the egg hatching numbers thing.

Ahh Mudkip. I remember the days where I'd run through the game using only Mudkip, Tropius and Torkoal. I don't know why I only used those three, but they seemed cool to me. I wouldn't actually mind going for the Flying Monotype, as it'd give me some nice Pokemon: Swellow, Beautifly, Pelipper, Skarmory etc.

Which for some reason leads me onto an idea for another challenge. I have no idea what it could be called, but you'd choose a Pokemon, any Pokemon which will be your main/starter Pokemon (you can hack it in if you wish to). This Pokemon has to be dual type, and for the challenge you'd need to have either 3 or 5 Pokemon on your team. Your main Pokemon would branch out into other Pokemon for their types. Your branched out Pokemon would have to be uno typed for this challenge, but if impossible (flying types) you can void this rule.

If that doesn't make sense, let me explain it differently. Let's say your main Pokemon will be a Tentacool, which will eventually become a Water/Poison type. If you choose to have five Pokemon on your team, you have to choose two Pokemon for your team which branch out from Tentacruel's typing, so you would need two pure Water types and two pure Poison types, so all in all, your team could be this.
Tentacruel
Wailmer
Azumarill
Swalot
Weezing

Interesting... So, if I were to pick... idk Swellow my team could be:

Swellow
Delcatty
Swablu (Flying/Normal. evolved would be Flying/Dragon)
Spinda
Castform

Am I right?

Alternative
January 14th, 2011, 05:01 AM
Almost. :D
The point of having either 3 or 5 Pokemon on the team is so you can have an even amount of Pokemon from that type. So if you were to choose Swellow, you'd have to choose two Normal and two Flying Pokemon.

Sooyun
January 14th, 2011, 05:10 AM
Ah...

*looks up bulbapedia*

I'd have to switch Spinda or Castform in for Tornelos. That's the only Pokemon that's pure flying.

Alternative
January 14th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Well obviously that's impossible to do if you're choosing flying types. How about to make it easier, the branch Pokemon's main type should be used, or the first type that appears in it's PokeDex entry, so if Swellow was one of your branch Pokemon you'd have to use it's Normal typing.

January 14th, 2011, 05:19 AM

Tentacruel
Wailmer
Azumarill
Swalot
Weezing

Very similar to my challenge, the dual type challenge. Just do it over there.

Sooyun
January 14th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Oh yeah. I forgot about the duel challenge. *face palm* It's only because I've yet to participate in that challenge so it didn't cross my mind that we already had one.

myrrhman
January 14th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Possible good news in disguise. My laptop stopped working again. I think its done and I'm going to have to send it in. Which means I CAN DO ALL THE DPPt CHALLENGES BECAUSE I DON'T EMULATE THEM!!!

560cool.
January 15th, 2011, 07:38 AM
You have a pretty fail laptop, myrrh. I booted my old netbook yesterday. Just as I thought, my mom dropped it at some point and now there's a huge crack all over the screen. >_<' Oh well. I can still see stuff on it, so I'll just go ahead and back up stuff until the jiggly power cord won't come out. Again. -_-'

And there's actually a huge >extra< Maths Homework. Of course my mom will soon stop the power in my room to stop me from my activities (surfing the internet, browsing through an old collection of 101 games and just yelling "you lose !" at their suckiness... usual Saturday evening stuff).

On a totally different subject, I got Guardian Signs last Saturday and beat it last night. Fail. (yes Syd, I know you hate Ranger games. But my little bro' has his DSi XL, and instead of destroying my screen, I destroyed his ! :D).

And one more thing : I won't be on tomorrow. One of my friends is coming so we can gossip about our classmates do our History project about telephones. Ugh. I hate telephones. Especially writing about them. :o

myrrhman
January 15th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I don't much like the Ranger games either. I emulated one (couldn't tell you which one it was though) and thought it was way to different and not Pokemon-y for my taste. But main series/Mystery Dungeon/Colosseum are just fine.

Exile
January 15th, 2011, 08:08 PM
I wonder if there's any challenge one could do on a game like Ranger, Snap, or Pokepark. It would
be pretty interesting and challenging, I assume.
@myrrh, Ranger was fun and all, but the final boss was a huge chore.

Jak
January 15th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Myrrh, I'd be crying in horror if I realized that I had the time to do DPPt challenges. I cannot stand Diamond and Pearl...my gosh. Ranger is worse though, yes. Glad I haven't seen any Ranger challenges pop up. ._.

myrrhman
January 15th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Well, Syd, I guess its a curse that I'm doing all the ultimate Monotypes... Oh well, I should have accounted for them covering DPPt.

Jak
January 15th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Eh, that's true. I tend to pick my favorite recent game when I do challenges (like HGSS), buuuuut since it's ultimate... :x Oh, and have fun implementing Black or White into that. I'd hate to finish an ultimate challenge only to realize "oh crap, a new generation" and go through that as well.

Alternative
January 15th, 2011, 09:06 PM
I actually didn't mind the Ranger Games. sure they were fun and all, but I don't know. I remember when I wanted the Manaphy, so I finished the game, got the egg and then my Diamond game corrupted, so I didn't get any Manaphy at all.

Also, it looks like no one really likes my "domino" challenge (I like the name better, so I'm stealing it mmkay). I should update my challenge progress soon, as I've nearly defeated Brawly.

Enigma
January 15th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I would be done with at least 4 more challenges if it weren't for my reluctance to play Pearl. Eh. :/

January 15th, 2011, 10:42 PM
O_o what's wrong with you people? I love Sinnoh. It's very challenging. Unlike HG/SS. I find it laughable that the trainers right before, say, the 7th gym still have lv 20 or so pokemon.

Sinnoh rocks.

Enigma
January 16th, 2011, 12:44 AM
I didn't say that I dislike Sinnoh. That's definitely not the case. I dislike that D/P/Pt are so slow. :/ I never noticed how slow they were until I played HG and SS.

mondays suck
January 16th, 2011, 12:45 AM
Problem with Sinnoh is that the Sinnoh games are slow as molasses, so if you actually want to get things done (which you WILL want in a challenge), ...
edit: ninja'd

560cool.
January 16th, 2011, 01:01 AM
DP are slow. Platinum's speed was increased considerably. This is why I no longer touch my fake Pearl, which I dug up a few days ago, with its save and a ton of Pokemon on it : a) incredible slowness ; b) it's a pirate ; it won't play on a DSi ; c) ??? ; d) I'm afraid it will break and I'll lose all the stuff I trained from April until July 2009 (a small time window, but I basically ignored school and played Pokemon).

Mmyeah... I love Sinnoh as a region, but the games... just wait until Gen VI, when they'll remake Sinnoh... :D

And I play Ranger because I love the region design. And also for the Heatran. I won't bother beating Platinum and trading one over. It took me one week to beat Ranger. It will take me another year to finish my Favorite on Platinum. I seriously need to grind, since I'm in Veilstone and my Pokemon are like... Lv. 27 ? ._.'

Enigma
January 16th, 2011, 01:33 AM
The time period that it took me to get to Oreburgh is normally the same amount of time that it takes to get through half the game in any other generation. -_- I even cut down my grinding a little, just enough to defeat Roark. (Dragon Rage + Charmeleon ftw)

myrrhman
January 16th, 2011, 07:49 AM
I agree Inferno. Not to mention if you're comparing speed of DP to say RBY, with the 4K speed I can run it in, I can almost beat it.

Exile
January 16th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Honestly, Sinnoh is a lot easier than HG/SS.
You can easily get a team of good Pokemon and rarely need any derps, and grinding is quite efficient.
Whereas, in HG/SS you have to spend hours and hours just to get your full team to Lv. 40, ie fodder for Lance's dragons.

Jak
January 16th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I find grinding in HGSS bearable...mainly cause I have a Pokemon following me. Seriously, once you have your Pokemon follow you, it's just hard to live up to that, imo. And it definitely makes it harder to go back to older games...that's just me though. I do hate that HGSS and GSC require beating Red before a challenge is done though. I mean, I understand why, but I just hate the Kanto part of both games. /horrible

January 16th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Agreed, HG/SS is basically the scum of challenges. It has nice features, nearly all pokemon available, that pokemon following feature, and the pokewalker, but it is the worst game to play a challenge on.

But what about the best game?
RBY? RSE? FRLG?

Jak
January 16th, 2011, 12:05 PM
HGSS is not the scum of challenges. >:c -kicks- I am not afraid to abuse powarz! lol <3

I find the worst for challenges to be RBY, since you're limited to just first generation Pokemon. And I can't trade SO...yeah. But for challenges you wanna zip through, it's the best, imo. RSE comes close behind, but I mean, I've played through those games so many times, of course I would say that. GSC and HGSS are the slowest, if the "you must defeat Red" clause in in place. I say DPPt challenges go by slowly too, but that's only because of the speed of the game. BW...I've only beaten White once, so I can't really say. It was pretty linear though. Hm.

myrrhman
January 16th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I agree that HGSS is the worst to play a challenge on. Having access to all the Pokemon is nice (and I didn't have a problem with his Dragonites) but there is too much grinding to be done for Red. I haven't beaten HGSS yet. My original playthrough, I beat the E4 the second time, but halfway through training for red, I gave up because it was so boring. Now I'm to the Kanto part (I think) of my Water Monotype.

Best game is RB fo sho. Sydian doesn't know what he's talking about at all. I know if I look at the challenge and say "would I rather do a _______ monotype on Blue or Ruby?" it will always be Blue. Sure you don't have access to as many Pokemon, but you don't need access to as many Pokemon. Plus the insane speeds it can run at.

I think my rankings goes: RB (I don't ever include yellow because it is just different, and I think in general challenges are easier on R/B and yellow is never in a different category) -> RSE ->GSC ->gap since the rest are so inferior ->DPPt ->FRLG ->HGSS.

I don't like FRLG at all. IMO they are much harder than RB even with access to more attacks and more Pokemon. Plus you have to do extra storyline, can't run it as fast, etc. If I am ever given "beat a challenge in Kanto" it will always be R/B, not YFRLG, and if I am ever given "beat a challenge in Johto" it will always be GSC, not HGSS. The only reason I am doing a HGSS challenge right now is that I'm not contempt with the Water UMC title, and am beating the rest of the games as well.

Tl;dr Red/Blue are god tier, RSE and GSC are good, the rest are awful.

chaos11011
January 16th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I love every region, exept for Hoenn and Sinnoh. HG/SS is much more fun (imo). On HG/SS I can do challenges because I won't get bored, D/P/Pt I lose train of thought. You know how I Nuzlocke games, and be nuzlocking 3 games at a time, yeah I'm still on Platinum, I've been procrasinating it for 2 1/2 months now?

HG/SS I can do a Nuzlocke and add a bunch of rules (Only use 6 Pokemon at a time, after that no captures, Togepi must aways use Metronome when it doesn't have a SE move, ect.)

For me HG/SS > DPPt

Jak
January 16th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Best game is RB fo sho. Sydian doesn't know what he's talking about at all. I know if I look at the challenge and say "would I rather do a _______ monotype on Blue or Ruby?" it will always be Blue. Sure you don't have access to as many Pokemon, but you don't need access to as many Pokemon. Plus the insane speeds it can run at.

I never said it was the worst to use, and I do know what I'm talking about here. I used to do monotypes on RBY and RSE all the time. But for challenges where more options are needed, I would prefer not to use RBY, that's what I was saying. But I personally like to have the biggest variety of Pokemon available to me, but usually only applying to things like random challenges and the favorite challenge. But those games, for me, are the games I can breeze right through without being too distracted with grinding, since it's pretty simple and I usually capture Pokemon that aren't relatively close to each other.

I don't like FRLG at all. IMO they are much harder than RB even with access to more attacks and more Pokemon. Plus you have to do extra storyline, can't run it as fast, etc. If I am ever given "beat a challenge in Kanto" it will always be R/B, not YFRLG, and if I am ever given "beat a challenge in Johto" it will always be GSC, not HGSS. The only reason I am doing a HGSS challenge right now is that I'm not contempt with the Water UMC title, and am beating the rest of the games as well.

Oh God, don't get me started on FRLG. I couldn't complete a challenge on those games if my cat was dying. Just...horrible. Horrible games with horrible music. I can't even play through those games normally anymore.

My order is something like...

HGSS > RSE > RBY > GSC > DPPt > FRLG

Excluding BW since I've only beaten White once, of course. However, I'm thinking it won't rank too high because...I'm honestly not itching to beat it again. So I think it might fall behind RBY. Also, I've never done a challenge on GSC, so that show shows how bad I dislike DPPt and FRLG for...anything.

Also, I have had this big itch to play Gold or Crystal lately. But idk if I wanna do a challenge (since I tend to get neglectful) or just a normal playthrough. To be honest, I will probably forget about it no matter what I choose to do. @_@

myrrhman
January 16th, 2011, 05:24 PM
You should do it. Do a Psychic Monotype or something (Catch an Abra and teach it all the punches and then you win). It only takes me like an hour and a half.

Speaking of challenges not taking a long time, do you think we could pull off something like:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pokemon Speed Challenge
In this challenge, you simply sign up saying what game you want to play, and then someone else signs up with the same game. You then go head to head in a race to see who can complete it fastest. Emulators are necessary, so that you can see how far each other are. In order to make sure there is no cheating going on, we ask that you (this is the only part I'm not sure on. What program should we tell people to have so they can see each others screens. I know skype can do it, but I don't know if you can do both screens at the same time. I've used teamviewer, but that also means they can mess with your computer if they want to. There also might be other programs out there, so what do you guys think).

Once you find someone to race, contact them via PM/VM and ask if they are ready to start. Once both parties are ready to start, go for it!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you guys think? If it gets the thumbs up, and gets popular enough, I was thinking we could even do a little tournament to see who the ultimate speed champion is!

January 16th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Do a nuzlocke, or (Shameless Advertise Mode Activate) do my challenge, the Dual Type Challenge Thread, where everybody goes when they want a step up from Monotypes! Prepare for a new challenge, a new experience, new thrills, over my challenge thread! /brick'd

Alternative
January 16th, 2011, 05:47 PM
You should do it. Do a Psychic Monotype or something (Catch an Abra and teach it all the punches and then you win). It only takes me like an hour and a half.

Speaking of challenges not taking a long time, do you think we could pull off something like:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pokemon Speed Challenge
In this challenge, you simply sign up saying what game you want to play, and then someone else signs up with the same game. You then go head to head in a race to see who can complete it fastest. Emulators are necessary, so that you can see how far each other are. In order to make sure there is no cheating going on, we ask that you (this is the only part I'm not sure on. What program should we tell people to have so they can see each others screens. I know skype can do it, but I don't know if you can do both screens at the same time. I've used teamviewer, but that also means they can mess with your computer if they want to. There also might be other programs out there, so what do you guys think).

Once you find someone to race, contact them via PM/VM and ask if they are ready to start. Once both parties are ready to start, go for it!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you guys think? If it gets the thumbs up, and gets popular enough, I was thinking we could even do a little tournament to see who the ultimate speed champion is!
I like the idea of the Speed Challenge, but I don't know if you would need to get two people to compete against each other at the same time. Maybe change it so if it's an update challenge you have to screenshot the save screen and include it within your update. Then keep a track on the fastest times from there.

myrrhman
January 16th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I like that better. I think I'll do that.

Alternative
January 16th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I think I'll actually participate in it as well if I can find a game to do it on, and yeah. You could even add elements from Nuzlocke to make it even harder, like you have to battle every Pokemon you run into and that you can't grind in the grass or stuff like that (I don't know the rules of Nuzlocke, but yeah :P).

Petilil
January 16th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Could swear speed challenge was alpha fan, or at least, it's similar. I have no objections to it, but I do agree it doesn't need to be a competition, unless it's some kind of event, and of course, it'd be all in good fun. I wouldn't participate though, as I take my time playing games, especially since I have an obsession with being overleveled for...everything.

myrrhman
January 16th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Yeah, it is sort of close to Alpha Fan. Meh, maybe this will catch on better. Instead of "ZOMG WE NEED THE REKURD!!!" its more of a friendly competition. Not nearly as much pressure, which is why Alpha Fan died mostly, I'm still working on it as hard as I can.

Enigma
January 16th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Lol, new thread title.

I would probably do that speed challenge, I could probably figure out how to use livestream, since my best friend does it a lot.

BTW, to add to the earlier generation talk, I'm wondering why it takes everyone so long to beat Red. I really don't have to grind that much at all. I went right in on my last Crystal challenge with only Charizard and Raichu, with barely any prior training, and KO'd everything easily. Same with my Crystal Username Challenge. ._.

Petilil
January 16th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Red isn't even that hard, in HGSS or GSC. The hardest thing about fighting him is that damn Snorlax, and even then, it's not as bad in HGSS without Rest + Sleep Talk (I think that's what it had). It just takes a long time to get to him with all the gyms and what not. I think that's the tedious part. Training though? I have beaten him with Pokemon that just got to level 50. Nothing fancy.

Alternative
January 16th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I think the main problem with Red is that people read and see his high level Pokemon and think "Oshi-" and think they need to train lots before battling him, when in reality, he thinks it's smart to keep using Thunderbolt on a ground-type Pokemon.

Petilil
January 16th, 2011, 06:50 PM
He also thinks it's cool to use Pikachu on level 81 before the Light Ball was invented.

Alternative
January 16th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Red does seem to have strong Pokemon, but he's a total nub when it comes to battling fo' real.

Also I've been thinking of another challenge, but different from the normal challenge. A Battle Tower/Frontier Challenge! You wouldn't need to start your 4th gen games again for this either. Simply you run any Frontier place you like, although Tower is preferred, choose the Pokemon you wish to use for the entire time and see how far you can get using just those three Pokemon. To make it harder, you could have restrictions on Pokemon, like no certain Pokemon or even try doubles or even go in with a friend if you have Wifi.

myrrhman
January 16th, 2011, 08:58 PM
That would be really fun. I think I'd enjoy doing some doubles frontier stuff with someone.

What about this idea? I've broken it into steps.

1. Get a partner. Or you could do it by yourself, but with a partner is more fun.
2. Play through HGSS (or DPPt if you can do it on that game). Your partner does the same.
3. Find another team that signed up in the challenge.
4. Team battle them. Its different than battling in the wi-fi section of Pokecommunity, because for that you have teams meant for competitive battles (I think) and stuff. With this your team is set for challenges, so your movesets would be much suckier.

Enigma
January 16th, 2011, 10:54 PM
That would be really fun. I think I'd enjoy doing some doubles frontier stuff with someone.

What about this idea? I've broken it into steps.

1. Get a partner. Or you could do it by yourself, but with a partner is more fun.
2. Play through HGSS (or DPPt if you can do it on that game). Your partner does the same.
3. Find another team that signed up in the challenge.
4. Team battle them. Its different than battling in the wi-fi section of Pokecommunity, because for that you have teams meant for competitive battles (I think) and stuff. With this your team is set for challenges, so your movesets would be much suckier.

I strongly approve of this idea. :D

chaos11011
January 17th, 2011, 03:18 AM
What about those who don't have Wifi / Emulator?

Can you do PokmeonOnline battles too?

Alternative
January 17th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Not sure on the Pokemon Online thing, but I like the wifi idea.
To elaborate on myrrhman's Speed Run idea, if you can find a friend to do it with at the same time, after every gym/important event the two people should have a Wifi battle with their current teams to see who is better at the time.

Also from reading Shiny Politoed's comic Nuzlocke run makes me want to do one now, and the comic made me lol so hard. I think my favourite line was this:
"Suicune makes me moist. I wanna see it dglkjfslfa. SUICUNE! *creepy face lick*"

myrrhman
January 17th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Not sure on the Pokemon Online thing, but I like the wifi idea.
To elaborate on myrrhman's Speed Run idea, if you can find a friend to do it with at the same time, after every gym/important event the two people should have a Wifi battle with their current teams to see who is better at the time.

Also from reading Shiny Politoed's comic Nuzlocke run makes me want to do one now, and the comic made me lol so hard. I think my favourite line was this:
"Suicune makes me moist. I wanna see it dglkjfslfa. SUICUNE! *creepy face lick*"
The only problem there would be that if people aren't in the same place at the same time, then one has to wait for the other. Also it makes you save, so there would be no way to make sure your time doesn't rack up while you're battling.

And yeah, I tried making a comic one time. It was really fun, but really hard.

560cool.
January 17th, 2011, 09:31 AM
HGSS > DPPt, obviously. (:

I strongly approve myrrh's idea. I also think if we don't have WiFi (for instance, me and chaos don't >.<) can post screenshots of our team then put them on PO... or wait, we have to find out the IVs, so that might not work...

:| crap.

PS : Mmm, Alternative, I think you're becoming a challenge regular. :-D Yeah that's tasty. ^_^

Enigma
January 17th, 2011, 12:50 PM
The only problem there would be that if people aren't in the same place at the same time, then one has to wait for the other. Also it makes you save, so there would be no way to make sure your time doesn't rack up while you're battling.

And yeah, I tried making a comic one time. It was really fun, but really hard.

You could always pick someone that's on par with your speed at completing challenges. Also, the wait wouldn't have to be as long. I know it's hard to find a person that's exactly your speed, but as long as you get someone close enough, it should be alright.

chaos11011
January 17th, 2011, 12:58 PM
HGSS > DPPt, obviously. (:

I strongly approve myrrh's idea. I also think if we don't have WiFi (for instance, me and chaos don't >.<) can post screenshots of our team then put them on PO... or wait, we have to find out the IVs, so that might not work...

:| crap.

PS : Mmm, Alternative, I think you're becoming a challenge regular. :-D Yeah that's tasty. ^_^
Just make every Pokemon have 31 IVs and 0 EVs?
That'll work fine, unless you have Hidden Power on your moveset. If so you have to show on which Pokemon it does SE damage so we have proof it's the right Hidden Power Type.

We can also take screenshots of the PO battle with PrtScr (Print Screen) so that's good.

Enigma
January 17th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Omg, finally I can move on to another challenge. I have a whole bunch that I've signed up for, but haven't gotten to yet. I hope to finish at least another one tonight, if possible.

jdthebud
January 17th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Just make every Pokemon have 31 IVs and 0 EVs?
That'll work fine, unless you have Hidden Power on your moveset. If so you have to show on which Pokemon it does SE damage so we have proof it's the right Hidden Power Type.

We can also take screenshots of the PO battle with PrtScr (Print Screen) so that's good.

If you are using an emulator with D/P/PT or HG/SS, you can use Pokesav to look up the IVs. There will have to be some trust there, though.

Enigma
January 17th, 2011, 05:20 PM
If you are using an emulator with D/P/PT or HG/SS, you can use Pokesav to look up the IVs. There will have to be some trust there, though.
It would be kind of lame that you would have to download Pokesav just to do that, though. I'm also a trader, so I don't even want to go near that program. :/

Alternative
January 17th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I don't see the problem with PokéSav, as long as you DON'T hack, it should be fine. It's not as if using the program itself creates hacked Pokemon and randomly gives them to people. *shifty eyes*

January 17th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Support the wifi team frontier thing, but I don't think I would like to go through another playthrough of the Gen IV games... I've pretty much exhausted myself on those games...

Maybe we could do Gen V? But I don't know if you can still WiFi Team Battle the Subway.

myrrhman
January 17th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Omg, finally I can move on to another challenge. I have a whole bunch that I've signed up for, but haven't gotten to yet. I hope to finish at least another one tonight, if possible.

I would like to direct your attention to my sig.

How many of us have Gen V? I'm going to get it, and probably do a challenge when I do, but I don't know which one I'm going to get, and what challenge I'm going to do. I'll let you pick my game and challenge out. I really don't know if I'd rather do a Monotype or Nuzlocke, or something else. Hmmmm.

Alternative
January 17th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I honestly don't see the point in doing a challenge for the first time around in a game. When I first play a Generation or in this case, get Black, I'll play through normally as I would. If I start again, or intend on getting White, I'll probably do a challenge, maybe a least favourites challenge.

myrrhman
January 17th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I might do that. My girlfriend preordered one of them for my birthday, and knowing me I'll end up getting the other one too, so I might do a normal Playthrough on the first one and a challenge on the second one.

Alternative
January 17th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Yeah, good idea. :P
For the mean time, and to cure my boredom-itis, I'm giving up on my "domino" challenge and going with Nuzlocke, as it seems more challenging and enjoyable. :D

jdthebud
January 17th, 2011, 08:39 PM
It would be kind of lame that you would have to download Pokesav just to do that, though. I'm also a trader, so I don't even want to go near that program. :/Well, Gen IV emulators can't trade, so that's the way I evolve trade pokemon and get eggs and stuff.

Enigma
January 17th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Well, Gen IV emulators can't trade, so that's the way I evolve trade pokemon and get eggs and stuff.
I know, but you can still just as easily use action replay/open two emulators at once. (Not sure on the two emulators at once thing, I know that you can do it on the GBA, haven't found out about DS.)
For whatever reason, I just refuse to download/use Pokesav at all. xP It seems like a little too much work just to do what AR codes can probably do.

Anyway...doing 12 type now. Shouldn't be too hard, my team is quite diverse. C:

myrrhman
January 17th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Anyway...doing 12 type now. Shouldn't be too hard, my team is quite diverse. C:

Isn't that the point of the challenge?

Enigma
January 17th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Isn't that the point of the challenge?
I guess. I thought that challenge part of it was just to compose a team consisting of twelve different types, but I guess that helps with the diversity factor as well. xP

myrrhman
January 17th, 2011, 11:01 PM
That one sounds easy. I need to finish a couple of the challenges I'm on now so I can do it. I will not go above 10.

On the upside, HG Water Mono and Ruby Steel Mono are both going great! Also I'm taking in my laptop tomorrow to get it worked on, so I can start back on my Nuzlocke right after I finish this Ruby one!

Alternative
January 18th, 2011, 05:06 AM
I sort of get the point of the 12 types challenge, but I agree with myrrhman. The challenge itself gives lots of diversity and seems really easy. Although I will give props for the fact that one who partakes in the challenge can only have certain Pokemon on the team, which is where I think the real challenge is.

Exile
January 18th, 2011, 01:20 PM
The 12 type challenge is just an oppurtunity to give your team a load of type coverage, imo.
Monotypes are funner because of that 1 type that you absolutely fear.
I also failed the Rocket-Themed HG/SS challenge, because of crazy hax, courtesy of the Sprout Tower Elder's Hoothoot.

Enigma
January 18th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Part of the challenge for me is raising 6 pokemon at once without becoming underleveled. It gets quite difficult, but I think it's easier to train in Emerald than in Ruby or Sapphire.

Alternative
January 18th, 2011, 11:05 PM
It can't be that hard to train six Pokemon. Just be like Syd and grind till you can't grind no more. ;D Then grind some more.
I remember grinding my Pokemon in Pearl, how I had six Pokemon and refused to battle Volkner until they were all level 56, and wouldn't enter Victory Road until they were all level 60. :/

myrrhman
January 19th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Props to you, Alt. I could never do something like that in my life...

Alternative
January 19th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Not with that attitude you can't. :P
Wait, do you mean what I did, or what Syd does in his spare time, because if it was for me, it's actually quite easy. Just take a lucky egg or whatever, and keep rebattling the fishermen with all the Gyarados.

Jak
January 19th, 2011, 02:27 PM
What the hell I come to this thread only to find you're talking about my night job how I train all day. lol That's why Nuzlockes don't work for me though, I have to grind levels all the time.

It can't be that hard to train six Pokemon. Just be like Syd and grind till you can't grind no more. ;D Then grind some more.
I remember grinding my Pokemon in Pearl, how I had six Pokemon and refused to battle Volkner until they were all level 56, and wouldn't enter Victory Road until they were all level 60. :/

ME TOO. I don't play DPPt much anymore, but I did the same thing. I accepted no less.

Also guys, SRing and hatching the Odd Egg over and over in Crystal is a pain in the ass. I want a shiny. I WILL hatch a shiny from that thing. So far I've hatched Elekid and THREE Igglybuff. I'm starting to wonder if the game has caught on to what I'm doing?

Exile
January 19th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I deathgrinded my mons in a diamond nuzlocke, my goal was 60, but I was told that I was pretty much OK since I had
Spiritomb and Bronzong. We decimated the E4, and Cam, my Porygon-Z was the only casualty.

Enigma
January 19th, 2011, 05:36 PM
I don't have the patience to grind levels that much. Hyper Potions=Stalling=Eventual E4 Victories. xP I'm probably one of the most impatient people anyone will ever know.

myrrhman
January 19th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I remember one fateful day on Emerald, where I was attempting to complete the national Pokedex. I was running around somewhere (don't remember where it happens) and found Steven Stone. I thought, that's odd, what is Steven Stone doing in a place like this? I talked to him and he battled my level 20-25 team. Needless to say, I won, because I had adequate Revives in my inventory.

I know what you mean, Inferno.

Jak
January 19th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Well, you can beat Cynthia in BW with a team of level 1 Pokemon, provided you have the right ones with the right moves of course. Aaaand Steven isn't so hard, with his special sweeping Aggron. lmao, Beating major characters with low level Pokemon should be a challenge in its own.

Alternative
January 19th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I once knew a guy called Steven Stone. :P
I should really get started on this Nuzlocke challenge, since my game got forcefully shut down last time. :(

Random question: has anyone ever dared to combine something with Nuzlocke, like Monotype Water Nuzlocke challenge?

Jak
January 19th, 2011, 10:43 PM
I wouldn't, but given the fact there are so many damn water types, I think it could be done. Maybe. I've never done a Nuzlocke though so idek.

Enigma
January 19th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Monotype Nuzlocke? Maybe something I'll try one day. I haven't tried a Nuzlocke either, but it's definitely up there on things that I want to try.

Alternative
January 19th, 2011, 10:47 PM
I don't even know why they introduce so many water types into the game. It's quite dabbling to be honest. I mean compare that to fire types introduced say in D/P/Pt and you get, the Chimchar family, and then Magmortar.

Jak
January 19th, 2011, 10:54 PM
There are a good number of new fire types in generation V thankfully. And they cut back on Water significantly, especially when you compare gen V to past generations.

Enigma
January 19th, 2011, 10:55 PM
I guess that means that there is plenty of fish in the sea for water monotypes? *shot for bad pun*
Aren't we forgetting Heatran? ._. Even so, that's still 5...I guess it still seems kind of low, but I've never been concerned much with the amount of the Pokemon with a certain type.

myrrhman
January 20th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Hey hey hey, give water types some love!

I mean, I guess you could do a Water Monotype, but I mean, it would just mean you could only catch the Starter and like maybe one other Pokemon if you're lucky before you get Surf/Rod.

It would probably be better to do something like a Monotype, but if a pokemon faints, you have to release him. So half a monotype.

560cool.
January 20th, 2011, 10:15 AM
HEY ALL. :'D

Talking about grinding... I got back into my Favorite (yeah started in September dfghjkl) and grinding is a pain. How in the world can I be Lv. 27, with most of the trainers beaten until Pastoria (it's on Platinum, not on DP. Pt. > DP. BY 1,000,0000,0000,0000000 miles dgfhjlk) and now I'm grinding in the restaurant...

Expect a really smexy update with smexy pictures and smexy descriptions. :')
Aaand, is any of you guys getting A 3DS ? I'll get one for my 13th Birthday (fyeah 13 !) in... September. I buy handhelds for Pokemon. So what the point.

pretty insane right now. too much chewing gum and pepsi. /fail

And the CI&D is nearing 1,000 replies. OH YEAH. Now that's cool. (:

mondays suck
January 20th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Speaking of old unfinished challenges... I still haven't finished Sinnoh in my Dragon Ultimate Monotype Challenge I started ... almost a year ago? (does that mean I also have to do bw now?)
If I can find my last post in the old thread, maybe I'll end the hiatus the day it becomes exactly a year.
Then again that would mean playing Sinnoh, azteahldafeiafjacyetgse (I do believe this ... expression sums up my opinion of Sinnoh and its slowness quite well).

Jak
January 20th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I haven't attempted to touch my Favorite, Least favorite, or monotype challenge in forever. Have not had the mood to do so. Lazy challenge mod is lazy.

560cool.
January 20th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Oh, now I got up the sexy update. Mmmyeah...
So, I've been thinking of better nicknames, as current ones sound pretty suckish. So... who wants to be named after a Pokemon...? I suppose no one since those requests usually get ignored

Combusken (Blaziken) - 560cool (yeah I name Pokemon after myself shut up)
Swellow -
Dratini - Sorry, my Dratini was in HG. I can't change the suckish nickname (Blues).
Manectric -
Aerodactyl -
Exeggcute -

Just... pick a Pokemon. And I'll go change his nickname.

chaos11011
January 20th, 2011, 02:39 PM
So, I've been thinking of better nicknames, as current ones sound pretty suckish. So... who wants to be named after a Pokemon...? I suppose no one since those requests usually get ignored

Swellow -
Dratini - Sorry, my Dratini was in HG. I can't change the suckish nickname (Blues).
Manectric -
Aerodactyl -
Exeggcute - Teh Chaos! Keep the actually nickname "Chaos11011" though. Because I like my name with a Capital 'C'. I still don't know why my user name is like that though, must be my laziness to request / type it.

Comment is in bold^

I don't do the Favorite challenge anymore, it got deleted, along with my 31 IV Sp.Def Ivysaur :/

See, I was playing my Platinum while someone was knocking on my door, I was mid-saving to. So I left my DS there, thinking I would have a chance to save it later.

It was my friends wanting to play soccer with their new ball, I was exited and I ran along with them, forgeting to Close my DS/Turn Off/Save.

I came back, with my with file deleted because off the stupid "Please do not turn off while saving" thing. Since the battery died and turned it off.

Thank goodness though that it didn't corrupt the file.

myrrhman
January 20th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Meh, I guess I'll take the Aerodactyl. TOO BAD YOU'RE NOT FAVORITES WITH STARMIE OR NIDOKING THOUGH!!!!

Enigma
January 20th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Aaand, is any of you guys getting A 3DS ? I'll get one for my 13th Birthday (fyeah 13 !) in... September. I buy handhelds for Pokemon. So what the point.

Will get one if/when the 6th generation games come out for it. I also initially get the handhelds just for the new Pokemon games, but sometimes I'll get a different kind of game as well. I'll probably do so for the 3DS, since I heard something about Ocarina of Time being remade for it. That will be an instant buy. :P

I will be getting both Black and White for my 14th birthday. muahahaha one year older than you Either that, or I'll buy one game myself, then just ask for the other game, to keep it easy on the family. :P

Swellow -
Manectric -
Aerodactyl -
Exeggcute -

I call the Swellow. I almost picked the Manectric, though.

Alternative
January 20th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Does that mean I get to go with Manectric? That's fine with me. :D If I get to choose the nickname, go with either 'Alterna' for a kitchen girl and 'Alternoob' for a boy.

myrrhman
January 20th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Yeah, I quickly skimmed the list of exclusive Pokemon for each generation, and I don't see anything special as far as differences go. So, I think I might as well get both of them.

I'm 20 so muahahaha i'm like 6 years older than you two hi.

Also, I'd prefer if the Aerodactyl was just Myrrh instead of Myrrhman. Mainly because its not a man.