PDA

View Full Version : Ash's Age?

MagitekElite
June 5th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I'm sorry if I placed this in the wrong place, I thought it was pokemon general related.

Anyway, its been years and years, but I keep hearing Ash is still ten...what do you guys think? Do you think he's older, even by a year?
I think its a little crazy to think he's still young, well, that young.

So, do you think he's a little older?

*And here is a side question. How would you feel if someone made him older in fanfictions? Would that ruin it for ya?*

Kirbychu
June 5th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Physically, Ash is still ten. However, that doesn't mean that he doesn't mature mentally.

Anyways, I'll just copypasta my usual response for these type of threads.

Let's take a look at Brock's siblings.

Here they are in Episode 5 (Very early into the series)
http://www.pokezam.com/anime/pictures/indigo/005/IN145.jpg

Episode 1 of Chronicals (After Johto)
http://www.pokezam.com/anime/pictures/chronicles/005/043.jpg

Episode 451 (Battle Frontier)
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/1/12/Brock%27s_siblings.jpg

Not to mention that a developer stated that Ash and Pikachu will never age during an interview.

Razerg
June 5th, 2010, 09:45 PM
12 saw in a episode once.

MagitekElite
June 5th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Oh dear god!

Do they have immortality? >.>

Neurotripsy
June 6th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Yeah, it's pretty obvious they're never gonna age. DX I wish they did, though, it bugs me...

The Doctor
June 6th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Yeh Ash is about 20 now ( mentally ) in the body of a 10 year old boy and he will never hit puberty.

Oh life must be so frustrating for him

MagitekElite
June 6th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I doubt he would think of girls when he's always thinking of Pokemon lol

Who knows, maybe at the end of Pokemon, he'll age?

cystar
June 6th, 2010, 11:21 AM
hell never age becasue that would kill the show

Flare Riqueza
June 6th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Yeah, well, he said to Brock one time that they've been at it for years now, I think that may have been when fighting Team Rocket in Hoenn.
So I'm guessing 12/13 at the most.

But no, he's not aging.

MagitekElite
June 6th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Okay :D

How would you feel if they made him older than ten? Would it effect your look at his character and the show?

Ctrl Alt Del
June 6th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I'd love it if he'd age personally, unfortunately Ash is eternally 10 and will never reach adolescence!

Eeohnex
June 6th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Having Ash aged would ruin the show, if he were to aged, he would be around 21/22 years old?. It's been 12 years since the show aired on the US, and he still is, and looks like a 10 year old, but seems to be more mature mentally.

MagitekElite
June 6th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Well, they wouldn't have to make him age all those years, really, but maybe a little older? Like 13-14?

I....can no longer take a 10 year old boy seriously >.>

Kirbychu
June 6th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Okay :D

How would you feel if they made him older than ten? Would it effect your look at his character and the show?
I would like it, It'd be nice to see Ash slowly grow up. Making the boy age would only make him more interesting as a character. Whenever I watch the old Kanto episodes it feels like Ash is a little kid. He's maturing, just not aging.

However, if Ash became 30 there'd definitely be something wrong. @_@

MagitekElite
June 6th, 2010, 07:31 PM
He wouldn't have to be twenty, and I get that he is still young for the younger generation, but seriously, I think most of the audience of Pokemon are past "10".

I think they should at least make him 13 or maybe 14, that's better than never aging.

TheReal
June 6th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Ash is like Peter Pan, he will never grow.. so he's 10, for sure. Ok, maybe 12, but he still looks like he's 10! :D

MagitekElite
June 6th, 2010, 08:02 PM
:D

He drank from the Fountain of Youth, I say. :p

Air Pichu
June 6th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Haha I'd love it if he actually stays the same. :)

I mean if he were to become older, wouldn't he have like a mustache or something?

MagitekElite
June 7th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Well, they wouldn't need to make him that old.

I was a child when he started. Its very creepy he isn't at least 13 :(

DEZTROY4
June 8th, 2010, 12:58 PM
They should make him atleast 16.

It would be like Naruto that way.

Spinor
June 8th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Jeez, My brother is 11 and him and all the kids at his Elementary are freaking little and immature compared to Ash. He's supposed to be 10? I don't think so. Rewatching the old series I can sort of compare today's incoming 6th graders to Ash, but during DP that's pretty hard.

Then again, ever since last Saturday's episode I lost faith in the realism of Pokemon ;_;

PPS Morphine
June 8th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I had always thought, if each season was a year, he'd be like... 16 by now :o

MagitekElite
June 8th, 2010, 07:40 PM
^ He'd be twenty-two right now...

Then again, ever since last Saturday's episode I lost faith in the realism of Pokemon ;_;
What happened?

Well, how would you feel if the next season, Ash was older? Let's say 15-16. How would you feel about it?

videogamerpat
June 8th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Considering how low his voice is.. I wouldn't be surprised if he was in his upper teens... Which also makes it a little weird that people pair him with Dawn all the time...who's supposed to be 10. >_<

MagitekElite
June 8th, 2010, 08:11 PM
That's the problem, Ash hasn't aged a bit. In the show, he's traveled so much in a few months.

Its absurd :C

Apotheosis
June 11th, 2010, 05:01 AM
This is one of the reasons the PokéSpe manga is so much better than the anime. The first chapter heroes are 16 or even older now!

MetryoV
June 11th, 2010, 06:33 AM
The people in the Pokemon anime are immortal

I mean, assuming one day is one episode in the anime(cause that what it seems like)...there have been 600 and something episodes so far so that means more than 600 days has passed since Ash first began his adventure.

And 1 year = 365.242199 days

So yeah, either those people are immortal or time got stuck in the anime's Pokemon world at Episode 1 of the series

Vernikova
June 11th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I think he's ten or eleven, whichever one he is. Don't know why people want to age him or find reasons outside of the writers don't want him to age but whatever.

If he were to ever age though, it'd be awkward to watch the show. A 16-year-old boy trying to become a Pokémon Master with these little creatures called Pokémon. Watch as he travels with his 10/16-year-old traveling companion [insert girl name] and some other guy that's there for some reason.

Zoroark-Nightmare
June 11th, 2010, 03:27 PM
it depends on how long pokemon's been going on.

However many years it has, ten plus that, and that's his age.

MagitekElite
June 11th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I think he's ten or eleven, whichever one he is. Don't know why people want to age him or find reasons outside of the writers don't want him to age but whatever.

If he were to ever age though, it'd be awkward to watch the show. A 16-year-old boy trying to become a Pokémon Master with these little creatures called Pokémon. Watch as he travels with his 10/16-year-old traveling companion [insert girl name] and some other guy that's there for some reason.

What's weird about a teenager travelin' the world with Pokemon?
I like the idea better instead of an immortal 10 year old >.>
Being 10 and traveling by yourself sounds really, really impossible, even for a fantasy world...

----
PokéSpe manga? What's that? Fan-made manga?

it depends on how long pokemon's been going on.
He would be, if time didn't stop, 22 right now. But not letting him age is `tarded. At least make him 13/14.

rickym
June 11th, 2010, 05:05 PM
ya i see wat ur saying but seeing that its a kid show not everything is gunna make sense. i was thinkin since he strted at ten an has been through, this being his forth region, iwould think hed be around 15

MagitekElite
June 11th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Yes, I know it was designed for a kid's show. What is it really tellin' our children? You never age.....?

Darthbane2007
June 12th, 2010, 07:29 AM
I don't care what the Anime says. The characters do not look a thing like their stated ages. No way May, Dawn, and Ash look and act like 10. Misty doesn't look like 11, and brock couldn't possible take care of all his siblings while at the tender age of 15-16. If anything, Max should be 10..

Vernikova
June 12th, 2010, 02:58 PM
What's weird about a teenager travelin' the world with Pokemon?
I like the idea better instead of an immortal 10 year old >.>

You don't see the ridiculousness in the idea? A 16-year-old Ash trying to be a Pokémon Master? His personality would go down the drain and he would become something like a Alien Force-Ben (For whoever gets what I'm talking about).

Being 10 and traveling by yourself sounds really, really impossible, even for a fantasy world...

No it isn't.

PokéSpe manga? What's that? Fan-made manga?

No, it's a Pokémon manga that some people like to believe is the best thing ever from Pokémon.

He would be, if time didn't stop, 22 right now. But not letting him age is `tarded. At least make him 13/14.

'Cause that'd make a difference?

MagitekElite
June 12th, 2010, 09:23 PM
They are both silly, but a never aging 10 year old boy traveling the world is just...well, silly.

I happen to like Ben 10 lol

No, it's a Pokémon manga that some people like to believe is the best thing ever from Pokémon.I'm sensing some hostility and I don't know what I've done to upset you exactly. For whatever it is I did, I'm sorry, jeez. I don't spend all my time searching up Pokemon things, so that's why I asked about it. Okay? I was curious and the name of it sounded fanbase >.>

'Cause that'd make a difference? It would make some sort of difference, yes.

PearlShipper4Life
June 12th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Ash has and always will be 10.
That's what the original owner of Pokemon said in an interview.
I have no idea how they just have him stay the same each year.
Its seemingly impossible :surprised:

MagitekElite
June 12th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Ash has and always will be 10.
That's what the original owner of Pokemon said in an interview.
I have no idea how they just have him stay the same each year.
Its seemingly impossible :surprised:

Yes, I know we are told he never ages and never will.

But what about the ending of the show? Do you think they will make him age, or leave the show with him at 10?

Will he ever catch all the Pokemon? Which again, he wouldn't be able to do at 10...there are a lot of Pokemon lol

PearlShipper4Life
June 12th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Yes, I know we are told he never ages and never will.

But what about the ending of the show? Do you think they will make him age, or leave the show with him at 10?

Will he ever catch all the Pokemon? Which again, he wouldn't be able to do at 10...there are a lot of Pokemon lol

LOL'z Now your just asking different questions none related to this one :D
I think they'll leave him 10 till the end of the series. Maybe with him actually winning the league. I don't know I'm not the producer :P I'd have it ending with Future Ash facing some other 10 year old kid with a Pikachu, maybe his son. His Pikachu would be evolved by now.

MagitekElite
June 13th, 2010, 12:21 PM
LOL'z Now your just asking different questions none related to this one :D
I think they'll leave him 10 till the end of the series. Maybe with him actually winning the league. I don't know I'm not the producer :P I'd have it ending with Future Ash facing some other 10 year old kid with a Pikachu, maybe his son. His Pikachu would be evolved by now.
They were rhetorical questions. :\
To get people to see the silliness of it. ;)

P.S
And even when you are using "lols" if you want it to be plural (which you wouldn't really have to do) you could use "lols" it wouldn't be "lol's" It doesn't own anything, nor is it a person...

Vernikova
June 13th, 2010, 12:42 PM
They are both silly, but a never aging 10 year old boy traveling the world is just...well, silly.

They could just as easly use the excuse that time travels slowly in the Pokémon world.

I happen to like Ben 10 lol

So you understand?

I'm sensing some hostility and I don't know what I've done to upset you exactly. For whatever it is I did, I'm sorry, jeez. I don't spend all my time searching up Pokemon things, so that's why I asked about it. Okay? I was curious and the name of it sounded fanbase >.>

Hostility? There wasn't any hostility there. I just told you it was a manga and that some people liked it a lot. Anyway, that is a fnabase name. It's called Pokémon Special or Pokémon Adventures.

It would make some sort of difference, yes.

It's not like they'd treat him any differently.

Kirbychu
June 13th, 2010, 01:42 PM
You don't see the ridiculousness in the idea? A 16-year-old Ash trying to be a Pokémon Master? His personality would go down the drain and he would become something like a Alien Force-Ben (For whoever gets what I'm talking about).
I don't really know about that. If they really wanted Ash to age I'm sure they could get away with saying "Ash, you're 16 now" without altering anything.

You have to realize that age has absolutely zero importance in this anime.

I don't believe they have even mentioned Ash's age ever since the anime began. The writers obviously don't care and if it really mattered they'd be sure to inform they're viewers.

Vernikova
June 13th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I don't really know about that. If they really wanted Ash to age I'm sure they could get away with saying "Ash, you're 16 now" without altering anything.

Yeah, which is why it doesn't matter.

>Feelings<
June 13th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Ash is still 10, because it was said he would never age.
Most... Actually all the anime characters never age, and there is no actual need for it.

I would personally hate it if Ash or anyone major ever aged.
Besides, why is ageing an issue when age means nothing in the Pokemon world?
Moreover, their mental maturity and personality can be freely changed without changing the age, because ageing isn't necessary to mature mentally, specially in the anime world.

Pandemonioum
June 13th, 2010, 06:38 PM

You have to realize that age has absolutely zero importance in this anime.

I don't believe they have even mentioned Ash's age ever since the anime began. The writers obviously don't care and if it really mattered they'd be sure to inform they're viewers.

Well his mom said he is 10 and all grown up or something like that when the anime started. Also in the first episode it was told that everyone get's a Pokemon at age of 10.

If I would have been hitten when I was a kid I would cried a lot, or Ash just can take a lot of abuse.

I think Ash should be 16-18:ish. He sure acts like one, and also I think Ash has been hit or slapped in the face or he has took other heavy impacts, he has not cried, once.

Kirbychu
June 13th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I think Ash should be 16-18:ish. He sure acts like one, and also I think Ash has been hit or slapped in the face or he has took other heavy impacts, he has not cried, once.
Yet he cries when he loses a battle.

moon_light
June 13th, 2010, 08:43 PM
aren't pokemon leagues supposed to happen once a year? that means Ash should technically be at least around 14 or 15 by now
plus, none of the characters act their age xD

I was told that the reason the producers decided not to show aging in the anime was because they thought kids would be able to relate to a 10 year old better than a 16 year old. Anyway, Ash and his friends will physically stay at the age they are right now because the show is mainly directed towards kids, but supposedly they're a lot older since they've traveled for so long
(I personally think they should have at least made Ash a little taller than May and Dawn)

rainier
June 15th, 2010, 01:54 PM
You know Pokemon Was Made In 1998 and Ash Still Looks Young!!
And Brock!! Ash should be 22 right now (Yes I did The Math). Wow That Means Ash Is Aloud To Drink Beer And Make Babies (with Dawn, May Or Misty. LOL Just Kidding Or Am I.......). Well Its Not Bothering Me that They Still look Young. Its just making me curious.

Piano Man
June 15th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Inb4lock. Wasn't there just a thread or two about this?

Well, I haven't posted in any of them, so I'll post my insights here:

I take it that most people at this forum are at least teenagers, so they have probably been with the Pokemon series since they were younger, maybe even when the Indigo League season (first season) was still the new thing. That's how I am. The writers of Pokemon aren't still marketing to us, I don't think. They're marketing toward that same age group. As we get older and more aware, we notice Ash and the others haven't really aged so it makes us wonder, but younger kids that are picking up on the Pokemon anime now don't care about that (unless they've also seen the old ones via reruns or the internet, and even at that I don't know if they care).

Also, unless something specific has been said, I think Ash looks more like he's 12 now. In Misty's guest appearances, she seems a little more mature, and since Brock was already fairly old, to younger kids, the difference between 16 and 18 doesn't seem like much.

Let either more debate or thread locking ensue!

pokemonlover493
June 15th, 2010, 03:46 PM
I have to say something, Ash probably doesn't age, but Salon Maiden Anabel revealed that she had a crush on him. How old is Ash? If he still is 10, 11, or 12. Anabel must be a major cougar. How old is she?

Vernikova
June 15th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I'm going to mege this into that other thread we have since it deals with the same topic. (Even though Ash is in the name).

By the way, it was created in 1997.

Alli
June 15th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I lol'd at the cougar comment. Anyway, I try to just think he's still 10 since I don't recall him ever having a birthday. That would mean that all this stuff is somehow happening in the course of a year though...and that's one long year.

Aquerex
June 15th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I don't care what the Anime says. The characters do not look a thing like their stated ages. No way May, Dawn, and Ash look and act like 10. Misty doesn't look like 11, and brock couldn't possible take care of all his siblings while at the tender age of 15-16. If anything, Max should be 10..

WOAHWOAHWOAH. Misty is 11?!

Ash should be about 12/13 by now. He couldn't of done everything he did in one year. (Could he?)

Starling008
June 15th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Considering how low his voice is.. I wouldn't be surprised if he was in his upper teens... Which also makes it a little weird that people pair him with Dawn all the time...who's supposed to be 10. >_<

Wow that is so weird...and I just saw an episode where Ash was standing next to Paul's older brother(who is an adult) and Ash was less than half his height...yet his voice and attitude make him seem so much older...

Kirbychu
June 15th, 2010, 09:03 PM
WOAHWOAHWOAH. Misty is 11?!

Ash should be about 12/13 by now. He couldn't of done everything he did in one year. (Could he?)
It's been years since Ash has started his journey, he just hasn't aged at all during that time. This paradox is actually a common thing in TV shows.

PuNkSter
June 16th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Yeah Ash has finally hit puberty... 'bout time!

md-Martin
June 18th, 2010, 08:07 PM
I remember watching one of the pikachu shorts before the third movie i think and Ash threw a party for Pikachu saying it had been a year since they met. This was about a quarter threw Johto i think. So lets just say Kanto + Orange Archipelago + part of Johto took a year, then Rest of Johto + about half of Hoenn= 2 years since start. Then rest of Hoenn + Battle Frontier= bout three years. Now With Sinnoh about 4 years.

So By end of Sinnoh Ash should be around 14

Starling008
June 19th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Just wait until Pokemon keeps going and going and Ash will be like 20 years old and hasn't hit puberty or anything, and he still won't recognize Team Rocket's disguises...

Trainer Matt
June 20th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Being a cartoon, it doesn't really matter if Ash ages or not. But since there is a progressing story you think they would have made it a little clearer to his actual age by now. There would be no harm in bumping him up officially from ten to say fourteen.

billios
June 20th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I'd have it ending with Future Ash facing some other 10 year old kid with a Pikachu, maybe his son. His Pikachu would be evolved by now.No, Pikachu wourld not be fully evolved as pikachu refuses to evolve.

MagitekElite
July 6th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I was watching Pokemon, with Totodile and stuff, and Jesse mentioned chasing him for years, not just one, but years lol

He must be so old :P

(sorry for late reply. I lost the link to the forum and then forgot my password lol)

Droidz
July 7th, 2010, 02:27 AM
It doesn't bother me that he ages. I would like to know how old he is though.

beserker300
July 7th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Its like the Simpsons, they dont age.

And yes it is unrealistic that a 10 yr old can travel the world by himself, but the show is aimed at that demographic, so its much easier to relate.

Owl
July 7th, 2010, 05:34 AM
He was 10 when it started so right now he should be 13-14 I guess. But, his voice does kinda change because of the voice actors so maybe they are trying to resemble puberty? [/shot]

Alpha_Spike
November 8th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I did some calculations and by the episode Pikachu and Pichu Ash was 13 years old. By the time he got his Earth badge he was either 11 or 12. This is done by this:
-Ash started his journey when he was 10years 10months and 10days old according to the creator.
-Earth badge was obtained exactly 1 year after the start of his journey.
-Indigo League championships took place 2 months after the obtaining of the Earth badge
-In the episode Pikachu and Pichu Ash states its his and Pikachu's anniversary from the day they started their journey. This would be at least a yearly thing so at least 3 birthdays have gone by at that time meaning during Johto Ash was at least 13 years old.

Guy
November 9th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Alpha_Spike, please do not revive threads that are over 30 days old since the last post date. It's probably better to just make a new thread on the same topic after that. Either way, since Best Wishes started it's said that Ash is still 10 years old; so much for aging. :\