PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] Alternate way to obtain shinies

Forever
June 6th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Many of us remember the Gyarados in G/S/C/HG/SS, which was an event shiny. Do you think in B/W event shinies will make a return? Why do you think this will occur within the storyline? Maybe recieving a shiny Pokemon from the character you "worship", aka member of the elite four. Or there could be a less obvious way; such as the chance of recieving a shiny from an event Pokemon increased x2 (like the daycare ones in gen 2.)

Pretty much discuss whether these ways will be likely or other alternate ways to obtain shinies, besides in-game "searching" or breeding methods.

myrrh25
June 6th, 2010, 08:49 AM
I'm hoping we receive one from an NPC during the game :)

Pearlone
June 6th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I don't think so, I mean the Red Gyarados was a good idea, but I don't think it would happen again. I mean i'd love to have an in-game event where you have a chance to catch a legit shiny pokemon. But in the end, I don't think there'll will be such event or maybe there will be, we just have to wait and see.

A Pixy
June 6th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Being the lazy hack I am, I want free shinies. Even though getting them for free would eliminate their rarity, there-by defeating the entire purpose of shinies to begin with. o3o

Rei Shingetsu
June 6th, 2010, 09:24 AM
The Red Gyarados was only there because TR messes with evolution thing and the Magikarp whom evolved into that Red Gyarados had a prematured evolution thus having not enough times to change colour.

I'd like another storyline like that though.
Forcing evolution in Gen 5.

Mew~
June 6th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Maybe not, I think gyarados was really for introducing shinys?? If there was one I would want... A SHINY ummm... Ninetales? I dunno lol

LethalTexture
June 6th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Maybe not, I think gyarados was really for introducing shinys?? If there was one I would want... A SHINY ummm... Ninetales? I dunno lol

That's exactly right; the Red Gyarados was only implemented in G/S/C to introduce players to shinies, as well as the obvious narrative reasons. It was also in the remake because it is one of the things players associated with the originals, and to remove it would have caused outrages.

Kirbychu
June 6th, 2010, 12:02 PM
It would be cool if some NPCs had shiny Pokemon. Maybe your rival could think he's all that because his starter is shiny, but you eventually show him that it doesn't matter much at all. :3

myrrh25
June 6th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Offtopic; I'd like to see them give us two different shiny colours instead of just one shiny. People like variation, and only two set colours for each Pokemon isn't much to vary with.
I doubt it'll happen though with the amount of sprites they'd have to make, with the moving battlescene now, even though I'd love myself a gold Crobat..

A Pixy
June 6th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Offtopic; I'd like to see them give us two different shiny colours instead of just one shiny. People like variation, and only two set colours for each Pokemon isn't much to vary with.
I doubt it'll happen though with the amount of sprites they'd have to make, with the moving battlescene now, even though I'd love myself a gold Crobat..

Just for the Pokemon we have now, they'd need 1479 sprites. And since they're all gonna have three sprites anyway, that would need 4437 sprites in total. Ignoring all the different formes and the new Pokemon, it would require immense amounts of time.

On Topic: I want, kind of like a Shiny Radar. It would basically just, ring every time you take 10,000,000 steps. Then you go into the grass, and then you'd find a shiny. 10,000,000 is a big number, so it makes sense.

To me anyway. o3o

DarkSlayer1331
June 6th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Personally having an event shiny Pokemon doesn't really up its value. I mean, as a shiny it doesn't up its value. It's as valuable as a regular event Pokemon really. The value is within the fact that you only get one in the game. But in reality, if everyone's is going to be shiny, the fact that it's shiny isn't a huge deal. Personally, I like the way the shiny aspect works now... even though I've only found one shiny in my whole Pokemon career, not counting the Red Gyarados.

And on note of the Red Gyarados... I'm not getting the premature evolution. It's at Level 30, right? You mean to tell me that it evolved prematurely AND got to Level 30 within... how much time do they say this happened in? Just a few hours? Yeah... I might be reading way too much into it, but it's still nonsense. XD Just my opinion of course.

Kon~
June 6th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I'd love to recieve a Shiny gift Pokémon at some point in the game. Even an in-game event like the Red Gyarados poses the risk of not obtaining the Shiny, but a gift Pokémon makes it inevitable that every player on earth could get a Shiny Pokémon. It could even differ species between individual games, so someone might get, for example, a Shiny Vulpix, but someone else would get a Shiny Spoink. :D

DarkSlayer1331
June 6th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I'd love to recieve a Shiny gift Pokémon at some point in the game. Even an in-game event like the Red Gyarados poses the risk of not obtaining the Shiny, but a gift Pokémon makes it inevitable that every player on earth could get a Shiny Pokémon. It could even differ species between individual games, so someone might get, for example, a Shiny Vulpix, but someone else would get a Shiny Spoink. :D

Actually, not every player could get the Pokemon. Remember, not everyone can actually possibly get to the location of the event. And if it was a Wi-Fi event, there's still a chance that a player could potentially not get it. There are some parts of the U.S. alone that don't get high speed internet whatsoever, unless it's through satellite. I should know. I live in one of those areas. Luckily I'm fortunate enough where my family can afford satellite internet... even if we're barely able to afford it. But I know that there are people who are living in such a location who cannot afford it, and therefore cannot get wireless internet with Wi-fi capabilities.

HaloSonic
June 6th, 2010, 02:58 PM
well, besides the legendary dogs, there aren't any more shiny events. what i think is that if you get a shiny crown from your pokemon, it should increase the chance of encountering shinies.

Teh Newbeh
June 6th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I dont think they will put a free shiny in the new games. I think they gave you a shiny gyarados in GSC was to introduce the new feature, otherwise it could have gone completely unnoticed.

PiPVoda
June 6th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Maybe they could do more events that unlock shiny pokemon? Say you have a week or two to download a pokemon or item from wi-fi connection or from gamestop/mcdonald's nintendo zne. From there you could take it to a certain area and unlock some event requires you to do something in order to obtain the shiny. Say in Isshu you go to some village in the region and somebody mentioned in the game has something stolen from them. If you get it back then you unexpectedly get a pokemon egg from the person that hatches into a shiny.

Yamikarasu
June 6th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I think they should have more ingame ways to obtain shinies. Kind of like the PokeRadar in DPPt, but something that takes more skill rather than just patience and luck. If this means that shinies become less rare, then I don't really care, because I think it would ad a lot to the game to make them some sort of achievement or unlockable instead of a lucky random encounter.

Forever
June 6th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Maybe they could do more events that unlock shiny pokemon? Say you have a week or two to download a pokemon or item from wi-fi connection or from gamestop/mcdonald's nintendo zne. From there you could take it to a certain area and unlock some event requires you to do something in order to obtain the shiny. Say in Isshu you go to some village in the region and somebody mentioned in the game has something stolen from them. If you get it back then you unexpectedly get a pokemon egg from the person that hatches into a shiny.

Yeah I don't think everyone would be able to GET to those places or wifi.

On Topic: I want, kind of like a Shiny Radar. It would basically just, ring every time you take 10,000,000 steps. Then you go into the grass, and then you'd find a shiny. 10,000,000 is a big number, so it makes sense.

To me anyway. o3o

Idk that sort if defeats the purpose...

Despite this being unlikely, great idea. XD

It would be cool if some NPCs had shiny Pokemon. Maybe your rival could think he's all that because his starter is shiny, but you eventually show him that it doesn't matter much at all. :3

But the rivals have been known to have shinies naturally already...

That's exactly right; the Red Gyarados was only implemented in G/S/C to introduce players to shinies, as well as the obvious narrative reasons. It was also in the remake because it is one of the things players associated with the originals, and to remove it would have caused outrages.
I dont think they will put a free shiny in the new games. I think they gave you a shiny gyarados in GSC was to introduce the new feature, otherwise it could have gone completely unnoticed.

....Yeah I didn't know buuuut, what if there's like a new special Pokemon - like a shadow one (etc like Colloseum) and they introduce it via an event shadow or shiny. Ooh like having a choice to choose to battle a shadow or shiny version.

DXrobots
June 6th, 2010, 07:27 PM
I think the game should award you for doing something kinda like an achievement with a shiny pokemon

PiPVoda
June 6th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I think the game should award you for doing something kinda like an achievement with a shiny pokemon

Beating someone that is as tough as Redx10?

Thunderhead
June 6th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Have an ability on a Pokemon that attracts a Pokemon of different color.
Have an item on a Pokemon that does the same effect.

Have it as a gamble at the game corner, like instead of the Big Number to one, let it be something like 1 to 100.

Have some kind of throw item, that you can just throw out in the grass like a berry or something for one time use, that attracts them out. This has been on the wish list for a while. Take the concept of throwing food/rocks out at Pokemon, and move it out to the world, in similar format.

If you have all (lets say 600) 600 Pokemon in your Boxes, you can choice a shiny starter from (lets say Kanto) Kanto.

Forever
June 6th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Have it as a gamble at the game corner, like instead of the Big Number to one, let it be something like 1 to 100.

Have some kind of throw item, that you can just throw out in the grass like a berry or something for one time use, that attracts them out. This has been on the wish list for a while. Take the concept of throwing food/rocks out at Pokemon, and move it out to the world, in similar format.

I like these two. Although sadly game corners are out... But the latter, seems likely sometime in the future. Well, as far as wishful thinking goes.

Aggressor
June 7th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Hopefully. Wouldn't mind another event shiny. Please don't make it Gyrados again... XD

Cherrim
June 7th, 2010, 05:35 AM
I'd love some event/scripted shinies. D: I always thought that was really cool with the Red Gyarados & Odd Egg (?) in GSC. Yeah it might kind of devalue that shiny which might be a disappointment to some (especially those who lucked into finding said shiny in a previous generation) but I still think it'd be pretty neat. u_u;;

EmpoleonRider
June 7th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Know what would be awesom a shiny Flygon to catch the same way that u caught the red gyrados in HG SS

Kirbychu
June 9th, 2010, 06:50 PM
But the rivals have been known to have shinies naturally already...

I thought that was only Wally. Either way, if a rival gets a shiny it doesn't have an impact on the story.

enderalex
June 9th, 2010, 10:07 PM
i think it would be cool if they added in a storyline shiny :D

SargeantMajorKururu
June 9th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I wish they would have another shiny pokemon event in Isshu. I mean, besides the Gyarados, I've only EVER seen 1 other shiny. A shiny ODDISH. I HATE ODDISH!!!

Anyways, either another event shiny or an item as previously explained. Why not? I want a shiny attractor! I want a Shiny Mamoswine!

Mujahid
June 9th, 2010, 11:59 PM
I wish they would have another shiny pokemon event in Isshu. I mean, besides the Gyarados, I've only EVER seen 1 other shiny. A shiny ODDISH. I HATE ODDISH!!!

Anyways, either another event shiny or an item as previously explained. Why not? I want a shiny attractor! I want a Shiny Mamoswine!

OMG a shiny attractor !!.It sounds gud but i doubt there will ever be something like that...however they can make something(an ability ?) that decreases the chances of shiny encounter to something like 1 in 4000..if that's possible though

shengar
June 10th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Maybe a device that increases the chance of encountering shiny pokemon? but receiving from someone we loves or respected will do good for the story

kinu
June 12th, 2010, 09:55 AM
shinies should stay the way they are
i have a legit shiny gulpin, hoothoot, miditite, staravia, and walmer

Linus3010
June 12th, 2010, 09:58 AM
how about RNG for pokes? its a ingame mecanic

Tanaki
June 12th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I would hope they bring back a way to assist in getting shinies. We had the poke-radar for the longest time until hg/ss and then we lost it for the pokewalker. Freakin' bullcrap is what that is. My idea is this: Catch all pokemon except event-only pokemon and Professor Oak upgrades your pokedex to show one shiny patch on the map per day. Then you go there and search relentlessly hoping to find a shiny.

MistahDude
June 25th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Many of us remember the Gyarados in G/S/C/HG/SS, which was an event shiny. Do you think in B/W event shinies will make a return? Why do you think this will occur within the storyline? Maybe recieving a shiny Pokemon from the character you "worship", aka member of the elite four. Or there could be a less obvious way; such as the chance of recieving a shiny from an event Pokemon increased x2 (like the daycare ones in gen 2.)

Pretty much discuss whether these ways will be likely or other alternate ways to obtain shinies, besides in-game "searching" or breeding methods.

I would love for the egg shiny thing to happen again.

Lunyka
June 25th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Just for the Pokemon we have now, they'd need 1479 sprites. And since they're all gonna have three sprites anyway, that would need 4437 sprites in total. Ignoring all the different formes and the new Pokemon, it would require immense amounts of time.

To me anyway. o3o

Actually recoloring a sprite takes like 1 minute. They could hire a guy just to recolor sprites or do it all themselves.

It wouldn't take longer then a day.

Ravecat
June 25th, 2010, 09:15 PM
It would require so little time and effort that it's irrelevant.

To recolour an entire animated Pokémon would take maybe 15 seconds.

edit: Didn't see Lunyka's post, but regardless.

Volroc
June 25th, 2010, 10:40 PM
make it 1 in every 1000
that way your guaranteed 1 shiny at least :P
or make it so 1in every 9000 is guaranteed EVERY 9000 lol
(i know its a lil lower than 9000 but im too lazy to look up the exact number)

Droidz
June 25th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Well i hope to see the Poke Radar back in this game. But if it's not then the only way i could see getting a shiny would be if they added it into the story, like the Red Gyarados.

Nikorasu
June 25th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Red Gyrados in G/S/C and HG/SS was mainly due to the anime I think :S

I remember the episode where the shiny Gyrados was rampaging through a river and destroyed a bridge.

I guess thats why they made it shiny xD

Calder
June 26th, 2010, 12:29 AM
I think worshiping ANY elite 4 member would make me back away slowly from you seeing as how thats crazy for they aren't real... But maybe the Professor will study either Shiny Pokemon (or PP thing, What PP is and how Pokemon use it or whatever someone said somewhere else) so maybe she will have the technology to once in a blue moon turn one Pokemon into a shiny or non-shiny if it is...or transfer Shiny status from one Pokemon to another... or Have a chance to add Shiny but something bad might happen?

Totaldile
June 26th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Maybe you could have a random shiny, as said before, as a gift much like the odd egg. But it's determined by the levels and species of the pokemon that you have in your party. So if you desperately wanted a shiny whatever, you could get the exact party for a shiny shinx. Um, yeah. No legends or any non-eggs species though.

brownkidd
June 26th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Red Gayrados sorta' had a story arc to it that explained its shininess, so they'd probably do the same thing if they had a shiny in B&W's story, but it'll probably be for a new Pokémon we haven't seen yet.

Tsavo
June 26th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Well i hope to see the Poke Radar back in this game.

Agreed. Poke Radar + Trophy Garden was really fun after everything was completed.

redsaber5859
June 26th, 2010, 09:37 AM
I would love the shiny event, as long as it's a random poke, cuz everybody would have it and it wouldn't be worth anything, or something like that

Azure-Supernova
June 26th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Nah, I like spending a whole 3 day weekend hunting for a shiny. Either that, or they could introduce a held item that halved the odds when breeding for one.

Astinus
June 26th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Red Gyrados in G/S/C and HG/SS was mainly due to the anime I think :S

I remember the episode where the shiny Gyrados was rampaging through a river and destroyed a bridge.

I guess thats why they made it shiny xD
Not really. The Red Gyarados was part of the game's storyline because Generation II is the first generation with shinies. They needed some good way to introduce shinies, and having a familiar Pokemon suddenly appear shiny and be a part of the game's plot is a good way to do it. The anime just uses the plot of the games for episode/movie ideas.

Storyline shinies are all right, because they are guaranteed. But random shinies do make finding one better. Everyone who has ever played G/S/C/HG/SS has run into a shiny Gyarados at level thirty in the Lake of Rage. It kind of makes the shiny Pokemon not as special.

So if there is a way to get shinies in B/W, I hope it's like the PokeRadar. There's still work to be done to find a shiny that way, so the shiny isn't just offered to the player no matter what they do. And the Pokemon found that way is whatever the player wants. There's still a sense of pride with the shinies found.

Weavile05
June 26th, 2010, 12:48 PM
maybe they should have an item that will make a pokemon shiny, and you can buy them, but it would take like a ton of BP or Coins or something like that.