In case you havent noticed
Pokémon has never had BLACK people in it,

Do you think tehre gonna put black people in ,

Pokémon Black and White?

I think they should
its really racist to be honest!

JP
June 11th, 2010, 07:38 AM
There's a screenshot of a darker skinned fellow sprite in the early Coro Coro pages.

Nintendork15
June 11th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Awesome
!!

but still cant believe there was no black people all along

mystletainn
June 11th, 2010, 07:41 AM
JUST EVERYONE WATCH WHAT THEY SAY IN THIS THREAD!

ANY RACIST COMMENTS AND I WILL CUT YOU DOWN SO FAST YOU WON'T KNOW WHAT HIT YOU.

Anyway, I hope we get more variety in the races of people in this game. I kind of understood in the first four games because they were based on Japanese locales but this one is looking likes its taking place somewhere else, so hopefully we'll see something different.

Horizon
June 11th, 2010, 07:41 AM
It's not racist? The game is based on real-life Japan, where there are a very small number of dark-skinned people living there.

The Doctor
June 11th, 2010, 07:51 AM
It would be cool to have four character choices.

White And Black Male
White And Black Female.

Although that could look a bit racist though it would be better.

Myles
June 11th, 2010, 07:52 AM
What Horizon said.

And dahlia (of the Battle Frontier) is black. And someone (I don't know the name) in Shadows of Almia is too.

dithyrambos
June 11th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Where is the "Will there be white people in Pokemon XXX?" thread. These characters aren't white. They're fair-skinned, but they aren't white. You should rephrase your question.....

If you're specifically looking for dark-skinned persons in video games, then point your finger at heterogeneous countries, like America. We really have no reason at all for the lack of diversity in our games (but we're making an effort these days?).

Heart Gold
June 11th, 2010, 07:56 AM
I don't see anything racist about this other than the people that make it look racist. Japan doesn't have a lot of black people living in it, so they don't really add them in their games because they don't see them a lot. Also, there is no reason this is racist because the games are based in Japan. It's only racist if you make it racist or your a troll.

dithyrambos
June 11th, 2010, 08:02 AM
What Horizon said.

And dahlia (of the Battle Frontier) is black. And someone (I don't know the name) in Shadows of Almia is too.

Don't forget Phoebe! I absolutely love her. She's so pretty.~ (Though I really see these characters as Indian due to the nations close proximity to Asian countries but whatever. I don't think I'll get far arguing that point here.)

mystletainn
June 11th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Yeah I always saw Phoebe as more Pacific Islander than black. But Dahlia was definitely of African descent.

JakeyBoy
June 11th, 2010, 08:42 AM
There better be an Italian Gym Leader in the games otherwise they're racist.

Haza
June 11th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Dahlia is not of African descent... she is Middle Eastern and they did their best to let you know without saying it. Look at her battle facility, theme music and Pokemon. She IS in fact poof that there can and will be other races included.

Slowkingz 4 Lyfe
June 11th, 2010, 09:17 AM

Pokémon Black and White?

I think they should

I haven't noticed it because I don't care about race. We're all human, we all originally came from Africa, so what difference does skin color/physical features make? The people who point this stuff out and complain about not "putting black people in it" are the racist ones because they think only about race. Sure, I wouldn't mind seeing black people in Pokemon, I think it would be cool, but that's not what I think about when I play Pokemon.

Darksun
June 11th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Brock? Or am I way wrong now? ;)

PokéToast
June 11th, 2010, 10:14 AM
It's not racist in the bit. Pokémon is made in Japan. It's based off the Japanese regions, and it's majority retail comes from Japan. So, being a company, they're going to make their products relatable to their biggest buyers, ie, making 99% of the game's characters light skinned.

99%? Well, there is Brock...

Dylan1
June 11th, 2010, 10:16 AM
i seem to remember a darker skinned character in colloseum. or am i crazy?

Myles
June 11th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Brock is Japanese. He is just heavily tanned in some of his appearances.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/7/7b/HeartGold_SoulSilver_Brock.png/150px-HeartGold_SoulSilver_Brock.png (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Brock)

Tropical Sunlight
June 11th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I don't know for all you American people, but I hope they don't put any black people in it.

PkMnTrainer Yellow
June 11th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Huh. I just noticed that. I don't think it's racism though =/
I certainly didn't call Pokemon sexist back when we couldn't choose to play as a girl.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty
June 11th, 2010, 10:48 AM
It's not racist? The game is based on real-life Japan, where there are a very small number of dark-skinned people living there.

I agree. It's not racist, it's a cultural thing. :|

lynds
June 11th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I was actually thinking the same thing this morning, but I don't think that it is racist.. not at all :\

Nintendork15
June 11th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Huh. I just noticed that. I don't think it's racism though =/
I certainly didn't call Pokemon sexist back when we couldn't choose to play as a girl.

Well those were the times when us men did it all

Tanaki
June 11th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I don't particularly think that it would be too great of an idea. Just look at Resident Evil 5. It's entirely too easy for one culture to have misconceptions about another culture they don't fully understand and make generalizations that are offensive to others.

Bluerang1
June 11th, 2010, 11:00 AM
It's be alright if the only Dark-Skinned person in the entire game was an Elite Trainer. Since Dahlia didn't cause any fuss. Hopefully they won't stereotype them xD

This is what I spotted:
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/132/b/2/OMG_Pokemon_Multiracial_by_Bluerang1.jpg
But the full scans proved me wrong :(
http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/male-field.png (taken from Serebii :))

Actually, she still looks a tad dark skinned... hmmm.

Volroc
June 11th, 2010, 11:00 AM
JUST EVERYONE WATCH WHAT THEY SAY IN THIS THREAD!

ANY RACIST COMMENTS AND I WILL CUT YOU DOWN SO FAST YOU WON'T KNOW WHAT HIT YOU.

Anyway, I hope we get more variety in the races of people in this game. I kind of understood in the first four games because they were based on Japanese locales but this one is looking likes its taking place somewhere else, so hopefully we'll see something different.

i fell over laughin when i saw this, this is the exact thing i wouldve said if i was a mod XD

on topic, WHY DOES THIS EVEN MATTER!?

its still a human, who cares, black white yellow brown gold who gives a bloody damn, their humans it just shows how diverse humanity is -_-
no reason to wig out over sumthin so pointless.

Jerme
June 11th, 2010, 11:06 AM
how about we have new trainers

PokeCholo Armando wants to battle!
PokeBrotha Kunta Kinte wants to battle!
PokeGangsta D'Shawn wants to battle!
PokeNazi Adolf wants to battle!

but that would be horrible stereotyping

UraharaSteph
June 11th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I don't think it's racist.
Plus, it's not like we get to choose our player's looks anyway.
Anyone can point at the game and say "I can't be a blonde male!" Or back when the games only consisted of male main characters, I don't think that many people pointed to the game and shouted "I can't be a girl!" But then again, I was only 6 at the time so I wouldn't know.

The game is based in Japan. And they're not racist. Look at that foreign guy in SS/HG. You know, the guy who says he's going to rebuild Team Rocket in his own country?

Oh and lets not forget the french chefs (Although that is pretty stereotypical."

Course, I could turn around and ask "Why are there no English people?" But I don't really care to be honest. It's just a game and it doesn't even have to be politically correct of realistic for that matter. It's in an alternative universe for one. What if Black people just don't live in the Pokémon world? :P

Trap-Eds
June 11th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Hey guess what. I'm black and it never crossed my mind how come there weren't any colored people in game. What does it matter? Really? :/ It's all about the Pokemon anyway.

Bluerang1
June 11th, 2010, 11:33 AM
It's be alright if the only Dark-Skinned person in the entire game was an Elite Trainer. Since Dahlia didn't cause any fuss. Hopefully they won't stereotype them xD

This is what I spotted:
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/132/b/2/OMG_Pokemon_Multiracial_by_Bluerang1.jpg

Just like me to have last post on thread T_T

But seriously, it doesn't matter to me anymore. As people said, it's a "Role Playing" game. "Role play", acting, playing as someone else. It's be easier to understand if we couldn't select our names, full on "Role Play".

Dylan1
June 11th, 2010, 12:00 PM

lolz i love embracing stereotypes.

donavannj
June 11th, 2010, 12:08 PM

This is what I spotted:

Knowing the Japanese, she's probably Central/Southeast Asian, if she isn't just a heavily-tanned Japanese individual. Darker-skinned characters in anime and manga tend to be from places that the Japanese will actually see a lot of people from, like India or Malaysia.

Yoshimi
June 11th, 2010, 12:10 PM
This doesn't really matter that much. You're all making a big deal out of nothing.
I think they should
I think they should
http://animemedia.ign.com/anime/image/article/866/866063/whats-wrong-with-dragon-ball-z-part-two-20080411011800953-000.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/dragonball/images/e/ee/AdjutantBlack.jpg
Are we talking about how they don't put any black characters in, or how they [still] stereotype every single non pacific islander on the planet?
In fact, the first non stereotypical character I saw was actually in Pokemon. I'm glad no one forgot about Dahlia.

You forgot Tyrone.

Jerme
June 11th, 2010, 12:14 PM
This doesn't really matter that much. You're all making a big deal out of nothing.

http://animemedia.ign.com/anime/image/article/866/866063/whats-wrong-with-dragon-ball-z-part-two-20080411011800953-000.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/dragonball/images/e/ee/AdjutantBlack.jpg
Are we talking about how they don't put any black characters in, or how they [still] stereotype every single non pacific islander on the planet?
In fact, the first non stereotypical character I saw was actually in Pokemon. I'm glad no one forgot about Dahlia.

huh? explain this to me. and yes DBZ always had random black people but i never thought anything of it

mystletainn
June 11th, 2010, 12:18 PM
This thread... is getting really close to being locked...

Jerme
June 11th, 2010, 12:19 PM
This thread... is getting really close to being locked...

imo, i don't even see why this thread was accepted in the first place

MistahDude
June 11th, 2010, 12:23 PM

Pokémon Black and White?

I think they should

explain Brock then. Brock is black.

MrsNorrington
June 11th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Wow, we're bringing race into Pokemon?? That makes absolutely no sense at all. Pokemon is Japanese, therefore the characters are Japaense. That is the culture. In America we have so much diversity, so we integrate it into our games,tv shows moves,everything because that is out culture. But that is not Japanese culture, because they do not experience that diversity. Wow. This is a video game about creatures with elemental powers, why are we being racist about it? I don't get it.

It would be great to see more ethnicities in the game. But remember there was a time where these games were not even in colour, and there was a time that we could not play as female characters. We didn't complain then, why complain now. The game is still enjoyable either way.

And to those who want to play as a character of another ethnicity, that doesn't make sense either because the characters we play are characters from the anime. Like in D/P/Pl, the female character we play is Dawn. It wouldn't make sense to take the sprite of Dawn and make her dark skinned.

And don't call me racist, because I'm definitely not. I'm a white american, engaged to a filipino.

I think this thread should be locked. It has nothing to do with Pokemon.

mystletainn
June 11th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Well I THOUGHT that maybe some serious discussion on the lack of variety in race in the Pokemon universe would occur. But whatevskis. Can't expect THAT mature of a discussion to occur on PC.

Jerme
June 11th, 2010, 12:47 PM
explain Brock then. Brock is black.

ha wow i'm tired of people saying he's black.

look at those eyes and hair.

dithyrambos
June 11th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Wow, we're bringing race into Pokemon?? That makes absolutely no sense at all. Pokemon is Japanese, therefore the characters are Japaense. That is the culture. In America we have so much diversity, so we integrate it into our games,tv shows moves,everything because that is out culture. But that is not Japanese culture, because they do not experience that diversity. Wow. This is a video game about creatures with elemental powers, why are we being racist about it? I don't get it.

It would be great to see more ethnicities in the game. But remember there was a time where these games were not even in colour, and there was a time that we could not play as female characters. We didn't complain then, why complain now. The game is still enjoyable either way.

And to those who want to play as a character of another ethnicity, that doesn't make sense either because the characters we play are characters from the anime. Like in D/P/Pl, the female character we play is Dawn. It wouldn't make sense to take the sprite of Dawn and make her dark skinned.

And don't call me racist, because I'm definitely not. I'm a white american, engaged to a filipino.

I think this thread should be locked. It has nothing to do with Pokemon.

It really should be. The conversation is going to go nowhere because people seem to not understand this is a Japanese game, and any dark-skinned characters are unlikely to be black but Indian, Pacific Islander, or from any such other country that is close to Japan. It really is a silly topic...

shookie
June 11th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Well those were the times when us men did it all
:|

I never thought too much about the lack of diversity in Pokémon because it was never a big deal to me. It's never been a subject that was so game-breaking it altered the storyline or affected how I catch or battle with Pokémon. The games are all about that...getting gym badges and stopping whatever evil group is coming to do whatever. I couldn't care less if the player is white, black, purple, green or orange, it's not going to make a difference because Pokémon will always recycle a similar story formula, and any diversion from the norm will just cause an even bigger uproar.

cystar
June 11th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I would love to see a more varied race in pokemon games

Nintendork15
June 11th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Brock isnt blacked he's tanned

Aro-kun
June 11th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Brock isn't black. He's probably hispanic and asian like Chad from bleach (he does do that one hispanic looking dance thing, dressed up...)
And pokemon has had black people in it. You can be black in battle revolution.

Oh, and look at the bottom of my sig lol...Thats why...

Chaos Rush
June 11th, 2010, 01:33 PM
People are saying that it's a cultural thing, but think about it this way:

There are plenty of blonds in Pokemon. There are no blacks in Pokemon (except maybe Dahlia)

However, there aren't that many blonds or blacks living in Japan, so the cultural thing doesn't really make sense, since there are still blonds in Pokemon despite blonds being just as common as blacks.

GoldvsRed
June 11th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I'd like to see more diversity in the games. With the new female professor, it looks like Game Freak is trying to put in more positively-portrayed kinds of people. They just have to be careful to avoid stereotypes, like any company... The U.S.A. can be pretty easily offended, like with Oil Man's color being changed between different translations of Mega Man Powered-Up (seriously, his design was supposed to be based on a duck!).

MrsNorrington
June 11th, 2010, 01:57 PM

There are plenty of blonds in Pokemon. There are no blacks in Pokemon (except maybe Dahlia)

However, there aren't that many blonds or blacks living in Japan, so the cultural thing doesn't really make sense, since there are still blonds in Pokemon despite blonds being just as common as blacks.

Well, my fiance says that Japan takes a lot of aspects of European/Western culture into their animes and such.

Anyways does any of this matter? I think it's a ridiculous thing to argue over. When we played the original games (Red/Blue/Yellow) everything has a shade of Red/Blue/and Yellow! Did we complain that our person was "red"

Sora's Nobody
June 11th, 2010, 02:33 PM
I think the reason they havent added Black people at this point in time, is because, some people would somehow make it look racist that they only appear after 15 years and it'll look like gamefreak have been pressured to do so.

Zoroark-Nightmare
June 11th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I honestly think that if they have african americans, NOT blacks, in the game, it would be neat. Because if the african ameicans pick their ... enthincity... they don't have to be a ... caucasian.

Kirbychu
June 11th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I haven't noticed it because I don't care about race. We're all human, we all originally came from Africa, so what difference does skin color/physical features make? The people who point this stuff out and complain about not "putting black people in it" are the racist ones because they think only about race. Sure, I wouldn't mind seeing black people in Pokemon, I think it would be cool, but that's not what I think about when I play Pokemon.
Talking about races does not make someone racist. >.>

I honestly think that if they have african americans, NOT blacks, in the game, it would be neat. Because if the african ameicans pick their ... enthincity... they don't have to be a ... caucasian.
There aren't going to be any African Americans in Japan. :I
-----
Anyone remember Barlow?
http://www.pokewiki.de/images/9/9a/PRBRanger.jpg

There aren't really that many white people either. The Japanese tend to somewhat distance themselves from other countries. As you've probably noticed, when a character is not Japanese they're foreigners and a complete stereotype. It's pretty obvious too. Look at Lt. Surge. He's the blonde hair, blue eyed, soldier known as "The Lightning American!" I believe Fantina is American too (In Japan). Whenever there is a non-Japanese person, it's pretty obvious.

It doesn't really matter anyways. I doubt there's someone working on the games that demands that there be no black people. They most likely don't really pay it any mind. Hey, they've made it this far without any significant criticism for it.

Why aren't there any handicapped people in Pokemon?

MrsNorrington
June 11th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I think everyones taking all of this a bit too seriously. It's a game. It's a sprite.

Kirbychu
June 11th, 2010, 04:01 PM
I think everyones taking all of this a bit too seriously. It's a game. It's a sprite.
But it's an interesting discussion nonetheless.

vietazn654
June 11th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Wan't Dahlia in Sinnoh black? o.o or was she tan. =\ But the Pokemon Ranger games had some. Like I think Chris in the first game. And there was one in the second also. Wait... Barlow, right?

MrsNorrington
June 11th, 2010, 04:06 PM
But it's an interesting discussion nonetheless.

Yea, it is. But I don't think we should be getting angry over it. I don't think it should be some sort of hill to die on.

I was never upset when I had to play the original game as a male.

And my (filipino) fiance has no problem with playing as a white sprite in the Pokemon games..

Kirbychu
June 11th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Yea, it is. But I don't think we should be getting angry over it. I don't think it should be some sort of hill to die on.
I agree. This is definitely nothing to get mad about. Game Freak is not a racist company.

You guys, Dahlia could have easily been Hispanic as well. Dahlia is a type of flower in Central and South America. She also uses Ludicolo. It's hard to determine someone's ancestry just from skin color.

dieter57
June 11th, 2010, 04:14 PM
isn't dahlia in the battle arcade black?

and brock is black, you would know if you looked at his dad!

but race doesn't matter in pokemon at all in my opinion.

Tanaki
June 11th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I think it's for the best that they keep it relative to japan. You have the promiscuously foreign team rocket guy who talks in shattered english, Fantina is French and they make references to surrendering, Lt. Surge is somehow the "Lightning American" despite the lack of an American continent in pokemon(I think). Pokemon would turn into a volatile lightningrod of controversy if they attempted to portray African-Americans. Much like Americans have a bad tendency to allow every Asian culture to run together, Japan often tends to portray all Americans as white, blond-haired, blue-eyed and often times with a new york accent. They're overall just better off to avoid the subject in general and pay it no mind ever or someone will have something nagative to say about the addition. And then the overprotective parents of America will just band together and pick apart pokemon, doing the less mature act of trying to get the game banned for intolerance rather than just not buying it for their kids. And then the fun is ruined for all of us.

FieryGrave
June 11th, 2010, 05:29 PM
All the games before this have been based in a Japanese location, in Japan its rare to find people of other races. This game seems to be based else where and it seems like in the state where there is a much larger amount of mixed races

PiPVoda
June 12th, 2010, 01:24 PM

No offense but that makes no since whatsoever. African Americans are black, and if they were to let you customize your character then they wouldn't limited to AAs considering there are plenty of black people who play pokemon but live outside of the United States. Heck then wouldn't even have an option that said 'African American' it would just more than likely be a few boxes with diff. shades in them and you touch one and puff your character is that color. :D

If Nintendo ever makes an MMORPG then yes I can definitely see them putting black people, and people of other races/ethnicities, in as well.

I think it's for the best that they keep it relative to japan. You have the promiscuously foreign team rocket guy who talks in shattered english, Fantina is French and they make references to surrendering, Lt. Surge is somehow the "Lightning American" despite the lack of an American continent in pokemon(I think). Pokemon would turn into a volatile lightningrod of controversy if they attempted to portray African-Americans. Much like Americans have a bad tendency to allow every Asian culture to run together, Japan often tends to portray all Americans as white, blond-haired, blue-eyed and often times with a new york accent. They're overall just better off to avoid the subject in general and pay it no mind ever or someone will have something nagative to say about the addition. And then the overprotective parents of America will just band together and pick apart pokemon, doing the less mature act of trying to get the game banned for intolerance rather than just not buying it for their kids. And then the fun is ruined for all of us.

couldn't have said it any better me'self.

spider-freak123
June 12th, 2010, 01:55 PM
this isn't really a average question,i mean despite the fact the japanese made this game,doesn't mean that the japanese are racised,maybe they didn't think of it at the time the game was being created.

Storm_has_formed
June 12th, 2010, 02:16 PM

Pokémon Black and White?

I think they should

why do people think like this!? Black people are seriously not needed to prevent racism of any sort.

HaloSonic
June 12th, 2010, 02:38 PM
look, im black, and i dont really care that they arent any black people in pokemon, next thing they know is they put one in, and somebody goes on about stereotyping.

isn't dahlia in the battle arcade black?

and brock is black, you would know if you looked at his dad!

but race doesn't matter in pokemon at all in my opinion.
dhalia seems indian, and Brock seems like he's from southeastern Asia as opposed to Africa.

Hamilton
June 12th, 2010, 02:52 PM

well there are also a bunch of people with purple hair, blue hair, green hair, red hair, and rainbow hair- why not blonde? it's just another color on the spectrum

HannahMontana
June 12th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Brock is not black.

Phoebe is Pacific Islander.

Dahlia is latina, the name says it all.

Many races and ethnicities aren't portrayed in Pokemon, black people aren't an exception, particularly when taking this from a cultural point of view. What annoys me is how hyper-sensitive people get when talking about race, and how we have to be so afraid we might offend someone.

Zorua
June 12th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I'm of the opinion that it just really doesn't matter; that I'll play the game regardless of whether various ethnicities make it the game or not. It'd be interesting and cool to see, but nothing for me to spazz myself over.

umbreon_4_life
June 12th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Why does it matter? It's a game. So what. I don't think we should be bringing racism into Pokemon games. People are people. Sometimes they have different colored skin. We don't need to argue because the color of the peoples' skin is all in the hands of the creators. It's just a game sprite. I don't understand why you're all so fired up about this.

Crobat
June 12th, 2010, 05:27 PM
im black but im not african american. my father is egyptian and my mother is haitian. neither haitian nor egyptian is african american sooooooo people can be black without being african american.

i totoally support having skin color changes

Charizard632
June 12th, 2010, 05:45 PM
All human characters in Pokemon so far are either White or Asian in race. Now that the next reigon might represent Washington (The State), there might be a few black people. In Pokemon Battle Revolution, you can change your character's skin color from white, to tan, to brown. So there might be some black people in Pokemon Black and White, maybe more in Black.

HannahMontana
June 12th, 2010, 06:06 PM
All human characters in Pokemon so far are either White or Asian in race. Now that the next reigon might represent Washington (The State), there might be a few black people. In Pokemon Battle Revolution, you can change your character's skin color from white, to tan, to brown. So there might be some black people in Pokemon Black and White, maybe more in Black.

That was only in the versions outside Japan (or at least the US version) because people complained. But it really doesn't matter.

And I don't know where you're getting Washington.

UlvMor
June 12th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Well having the option of changing the skin colour of your character in game would be kind of cool would it also not be a little bit weird since you would be the only character that had dark skin?

This shouldn't even be an issue though, as so many people have pointed out the games are made and set in an Asian country oh and umm also.. Not real.

Unionhack
June 12th, 2010, 06:49 PM

Pokémon Black and White?

I think they should

It's not racist if they don't include them, it's racist if they make fun of them. Plus, like many have said before me, it's based on Japan, where there are very few dark skinned folks.

tylerab01
June 12th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Well now that you have mentioned it none of the anime or manga has ever had black people

yung_link
June 22nd, 2010, 08:57 PM
im black & this is how i c it, if they put a black person in pokemon & his pants r 2 low, or his skin is 2 dark, or his dialect is 2 "black", black ppl will hav a problem with it. putting black ppl in a pokemon game would just make GameFreak more vulnerable 2 accusations of racism & stereotyping, by the ppl who asked 4 it 2 begin with. do i want 2 c black ppl in pokemon? not if it keeps the next game from coming out cuz of a lawsuit! besides, we got a black president, thats good enough 4 me...

AceDragonite
June 22nd, 2010, 09:07 PM

Pokémon Black and White?

I think they should

spencer sort of is, and there's no black people in japan, and you don't think its racist to call the thread "Black People"? Its like asking why aren't there aliens in madden?

Arolu
June 23rd, 2010, 03:10 AM

Pokémon Black and White?

I think they should

What about Brock from Red & Blue? D:
Although, I do think he was the only black person in the whole game. It would be great if Pokemon could implement different races into the game.
However, as the game is Japanese, they usually do just prefer to stick to lighter skin tones as that it the general preference.
So, our only chance, really, of another skin tone is probably an important character such as a Gym Leader or Elite Four Member.

brownkidd
June 23rd, 2010, 08:07 AM
I've thought about this for a while before commenting, but I truly hope that they include more diverse races for NPCs, but I really hope that they don't give players the option to choose their skin color.

Here is why: How do all the Pokémon games start? The Professor asks if you're a boy or girl, right? Well, imagine a little kid playing this game (because, let's face it, that's who these games are primarily targeted towards) and being faced with the question "Are you white or black?" or "What color is your skin?"

Now, my girlfriend has 3 kids ranging from 9 - 13 and only last year did they find out what black people were. Sure, african american kids go to their school, but we never taught them to draw distinctions between races of people, so they grew up just thinking everyone was the same, which is a pretty rad way to grow up, if you ask me.

If the new Pokémon games taught kids to draw racial distinctions, I think it'd just be a bit of a bummer. People are people and color really shouldn't matter.

When it comes down to it, it's just a game, so have fun with it and try not to take it too seriously.

p.s.
I'm very brown.

Conan Edogawa
June 23rd, 2010, 08:26 AM
I've thought about this for a while before commenting, but I truly hope that they include more diverse races for NPCs, but I really hope that they don't give players the option to choose their skin color.

Here is why: How do all the Pokémon games start? The Professor asks if you're a boy or girl, right? Well, imagine a little kid playing this game (because, let's face it, that's who these games are primarily targeted towards) and being faced with the question "Are you white or black?" or "What color is your skin?"

Now, my girlfriend has 3 kids ranging from 9 - 13 and only last year did they find out what black people were. Sure, african american kids go to their school, but we never taught them to draw distinctions between races of people, so they grew up just thinking everyone was the same, which is a pretty rad way to grow up, if you ask me.

If the new Pokémon games taught kids to draw racial distinctions, I think it'd just be a bit of a bummer. People are people and color really shouldn't matter.

When it comes down to it, it's just a game, so have fun with it and try not to take it too seriously.

p.s.
I'm very brown.

Thank you. You put out a very good point and I think that's the only real reason that they haven't added that feature is that very reason. The race of the character shouldn't matter, as well as the gender. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with having both genders playable, it just wouldn't bother me if we could only be girls or boys. I think it would be cool to see other races as NPCs, but adding different races for your character is not the greatest idea.

.EJ
June 23rd, 2010, 02:12 PM
Lol somebody said dahlia was latina...nah She's most likely ~Indian/Middle Eastern.

I can tell you a thing or two about latinos. ; )

war rock exe
June 23rd, 2010, 02:31 PM
I'm black and i don't find this thread racist! I actually like the idea of black people in a pokemon game!!

Kirbychu
June 23rd, 2010, 06:00 PM
im black & this is how i c it, if they put a black person in pokemon & his pants r 2 low, or his skin is 2 dark, or his dialect is 2 "black", black ppl will hav a problem with it. putting black ppl in a pokemon game would just make GameFreak more vulnerable 2 accusations of racism & stereotyping, by the ppl who asked 4 it 2 begin with. do i want 2 c black ppl in pokemon? not if it keeps the next game from coming out cuz of a lawsuit! besides, we got a black president, thats good enough 4 me...
U do rlize that its not just certain black ppl that hav a problem with black stereotypes, rite?

Lol somebody said dahlia was latina...nah She's most likely ~Indian/Middle Eastern.

I can tell you a thing or two about latinos. ; )
If that's what floats your boat, and good for you. =D

I'm black and i don't find this thread racist! I actually like the idea of black people in a pokemon game!!
Just because we like the idea doesn't necessarily mean it's a good one.

Jaiyke
June 23rd, 2010, 10:19 PM
I guess the "Jynx" incident has gone over everyones head heehee jk jk
but still weren't they sued or something stating that Jynx was too much of a stereotypical African person resulting in it's color change from Black to Purple? i dunno.. dont care much.
But still... i would like to see many different Races incorporated into the games... it's not really a Necessity but it'd would be nice =)

Tanner.
June 24th, 2010, 09:25 AM
How is dahlia black? http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/9/9d/Platinum_Dahlia.png/360px-Platinum_Dahlia.png

I have never seen a black person with blue eyes.

Sage Harpuia
June 24th, 2010, 09:56 AM
How is dahlia black?
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/9/9d/Platinum_Dahlia.png/360px-Platinum_Dahlia.png

I have never seen a black person with blue eyes.

Oh I can assure you that in sicily (in Italy) is plenty of person with dark skin and blue eyes (resulting from a mixing of nordich and arabian people)...
however I wuold not define them and dahlia black because their skin it's not so...black but just darker than usual.

Bloothump
June 24th, 2010, 10:06 AM

p.s.
I'm very brown.

I don't know why you people are still posting, this post wins the entire thread. Case closed. Also, why does it matter what race Dahlia belongs to? She's a character in a video game.

Fox♠
June 24th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Well I THOUGHT that maybe some serious discussion on the lack of variety in race in the Pokemon universe would occur. But whatevskis. Can't expect THAT mature of a discussion to occur on PC.

Isn't Lt. Surge like the only American in the game(s)?
I swear a lot of npcs talk about other countries and stuff, and there was a french guy on the S.S Anne, so who knows, maybe we will see more nationalities in BW.

Myles
June 24th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I don't know why you people are still posting, this post wins the entire thread. Case closed. Also, why does it matter what race Dahlia belongs to? She's a character in a video game.

That isn't a good enough reason to not include multiple races. They could just finally change it to a create-your-character menu and let you choose gender, hair colour, skin colour, eye colour and a few outfit choices.

I'm not sure that's a good way to go with teaching kids either though. Since the person that inevitably will teach them about races, may then be racist and they haven't had any prior knowledge about races to know it's a load of rubbish. But that's another story.

@Fox: I don't know about the games, but that pirate-dude from the first movie had English for a first language. Whether he was American though, who knows.

wobbadude1
June 24th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I swear a lot of npcs talk about other countries and stuff, and there was a french guy on the S.S Anne, so who knows, maybe we will see more nationalities in BW.

Yeah, there's also that guy in Gold who speaks bad English saying he is from another country. It is never said where though.

It is very rare to see a black person in Japanese anime, whereas it is commonplace in Anglophonic shows. It would be good to see more black people in Japanese shows/games- even though it's probably rare because obviously most people in Japan are East Asian. But it's a different country- not a different world!!

Btw regardless of my signature I am actually white!

MistahDude
June 24th, 2010, 12:50 PM

Pokémon Black and White?

I think they should

There isnt any hatred or intolerance of any race so it cannot be racist.

Kiva L. Bruin
June 24th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Why are we going on about this. It doesn't matter about color. I think this thread should be closed, because everyone is saying the same thing about the game being Japanese and there aren't many black people in Japan.

tamere123
June 24th, 2010, 01:34 PM
seriously, does it matter? if there were no black people in the game I'd still play. heck I'd play even if i had to play as a pink character...

PiPVoda
June 24th, 2010, 01:47 PM

I hope we see more nationalities too, like they're not directly mentioned but from where they describe they're from or act could be a good indicator. Some people were saying Isshu is based off of NYC, and if it was then I wonder how many angry folks we'll see :D.

Yeah, there's also that guy in Gold who speaks bad English saying he is from another country. It is never said where though.
Really? I'm guessing he was in silver too (dumb question)? I never saw him or maybe I just don't remember.

It is very rare to see a black person in Japanese anime, whereas it is commonplace in Anglophonic shows. It would be good to see more black people in Japanese shows/games- even though it's probably rare because obviously most people in Japan are East Asian. But it's a different country- not a different world!!

No I don't think there should be, and I'm black. Most black folks you see on Japanese tv are just...horrible representers of black folks in Japan!

Pokepal17
June 24th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Guys, why do you care so much about people's skin colour/origins? Their skin colour doesn't say anything about them, except where they originate from. They may look black or whatever, but the actual charatcers may have been born in Japan. Heck, I was born in England, but you'd never guess it from looking at me. All this nonsense about who's who is stupid. They're just people. Who cares if Pokémon has no black people? Who cares if they have no brown people? It's just a game, and skin colour doesn't define who you are.

dieter57
June 24th, 2010, 02:02 PM
i never thought about this subject.
and does any body really care if a black person was in pokemon or not?
i don't.

Bloothump
June 24th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Guys, why do you care so much about people's skin colour/origins? Their skin colour doesn't say anything about them, except where they originate from. They may look black or whatever, but the actual charatcers may have been born in Japan. Heck, I was born in England, but you'd never guess it from looking at me. All this nonsense about who's who is stupid. They're just people. Who cares if Pokémon has no black people? Who cares if they have no brown people? It's just a game, and skin colour doesn't define who you are.

This.
It doesn't really matter if an NPC is darker skinned, because it doesn't change who the character is or what they do. Sure, it's nice to see more diversity but everyone's already mentioned the reasons for why it isn't necessary. I feel like all the reasons and arguments for this topic have been stated over and over so there's really no reason as to why this thread shouldn't be locked.

Teh Blazer
June 24th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Wait, wait, wait....... Brock isn't black??!?!

Chibi-chan
June 24th, 2010, 03:22 PM
It's never black, it's ~tanned~
Brock and Phoebe are ~tanned~

Honestly, I could care less. They aren't exactly Caucasian, or Asian, or Indian, or whatever.
They're just a race in an animated world. Do we need to bring racism into that?

Pokepal17
June 24th, 2010, 03:33 PM
It's never black, it's ~tanned~
Brock and Phoebe are ~tanned~

Honestly, I could care less. They aren't exactly Caucasian, or Asian, or Indian, or whatever.
They're just a race in an animated world. Do we need to bring racism into that?

I agree with you 100%.
It's like asking the question: Why aren't elf people/gingerbread people/aliens/pixies in B&W?
Gamefreak's universe = Gamefreak's race

Dark Piplup
June 24th, 2010, 03:57 PM
since when does race even matter?

PiPVoda
June 24th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I agree with you 100%.
It's like asking the question: Why aren't elf people/gingerbread people/aliens/pixies in B&W?
Gamefreak's universe = Gamefreak's race

Yep yep...but what are those bean shaped people,like in Higglytown Heroes :embarrass, called? That is what pokemon characters look like in the game...except they have feet :D.

Edit: Yayyyyyy post #100!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

DialgaDiamond
June 24th, 2010, 07:48 PM
it would be cool to design your own character =)

Calder
June 24th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Black people aren't in Pokemon as we have all said 1,000,000,000 times because Japan has roughly 2 Black people in it... If you didn't notice most of the characters are Asians....Because it's Japan... Only Whites are from America...

ElectricScyther
June 25th, 2010, 05:50 AM
If they did put black people in B/W then it would be a professor named after a tree from Africa.

Starrmyt
June 25th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Look, I'm going to postulate that there will be black people [and other races] included in these versions for a few reasons.

The first being my explanation of why there weren't in the other games. You don't find many foreigners in Japan, and the pokemon regions are based off of Japanese regions [Kanto on Kanto, Johto on Kansai, Hoenn on Kyuushuu, and Sinnoh on Hokkaido]. The small amount of tanned people or Americans [in the cases of Surge or Fantina, who is french].

Now, I've been looking at the Isshu region for a while and cross referencing it with many regions of Japan [and then when that search was fruitless I looked for world regions] and came up with a rather interesting conclusion.

Isshu is based on New York City and the surrounding area. I mean, that bridge from Hiun? Brooklyn Bridge. That giant pokeball lake thing? Central Park. It makes sense when you see the huge cities they now have.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but New York has a very large racial variety. I wouldnt be surprised to see a whole slew of races. But they dont have to do that, because they're still catering to a Japanese audience. And this audience doesnt normally see people outside of their race, except one or two American tourists. :/

JukainPwns
June 25th, 2010, 06:44 AM
lol,black people in pokemon i'd like to see that.

Reshiram Man
June 25th, 2010, 07:01 AM
We should have black people on it, so it seems more like real life.

ReyRey-Pyon
June 25th, 2010, 11:33 AM
The games are set in Japan so obviously the characters are going to be Japanese
Pheobe is not black
Brock is not black
Dahlia is not black

this isn't rl anyways :U
they all live in a Pokemon world.
durr hurr

wobbadude1
June 26th, 2010, 01:37 AM
You could pretty much say the same for gay people and how they are represented in video games. Although, in the English dub of the anime they made subtle hints that James was...!

Haza
June 26th, 2010, 02:24 AM
^ Harley represented gays and so did Tucker <3 Both did a fabulous job...

But this thread title REALLY makes me laugh... it's just bluntly "Black People" XD

Azure-Supernova
June 26th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Well I suppose next there'll be a fuss if there's no 'Native Americans' or Hawaians... good lord if the universe gets any more PC Centred there'll be a movement for the Night Elves.

To be honest, I never thought about it before... never even noticed it until this thread... wow...

bobman1234
June 26th, 2010, 04:13 AM
I never even realized that the aren't any black people in Pokemon, it wouldn't really affect the game. What about all the other races that aren't in Pokemon like whites. Pokemon is Japanese so it mostly has Japanese and other Asian people.

Amore
June 26th, 2010, 04:19 AM
Lol. Ever noticed how Brock's the only guy in pokemon who looks remotely asian?

Who cares if there aren't that many black people? Nobody can really complain, as the ones who are take major roles.sort of.

Haza
June 26th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I never even realized that the aren't any black people in Pokemon, it wouldn't really affect the game. What about all the other races that aren't in Pokemon like whites. Pokemon is Japanese so it mostly has Japanese and other Asian people.

Lt. Surge is Caucasian (assumed to be American), Fantima (Hearthome Gym Leader) is French, and Dahlia is Indian/Middle Eastern. There are other races represented in these games, just not many.

Aberash
June 26th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I agree they are missing diffrent types of racial people in all of games and I think its not fair .Way to many white people in games (do not take offense I am white)

Thunderpunch
June 26th, 2010, 07:37 PM
only in the Black version. lol

.EJ
June 26th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Lt. Surge is Caucasian (assumed to be American), Fantima (Hearthome Gym Leader) is French, and Dahlia is Indian/Middle Eastern. There are other races represented in these games, just not many.

Oh it's more than an assumption. He's known as the Lightning American. =]

Aggron1991
June 26th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I thought Brock was black when I was a kid...

Bluerang1
June 26th, 2010, 11:28 PM
So they put in gay people and not Black people. I don't know if I should be offended :P

But still, I don't mind. It's be awkward anyway.

I thought Brock was black when I was a kid...

Second.

Bloothump
June 26th, 2010, 11:35 PM
When I was a kid, all I knew was Brock had darker skin and that was that. It doesn't affect the games or show in any way.

Migueliscool
June 27th, 2010, 10:02 AM
I don't think Pokemon will bring out any darker skinned characters. Like other people mentioned. They base they're games off of their culture and it is not like a lot of darker people live in Japan. People over there have fairer skin than in most countries.

Haza
June 27th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I don't think Pokemon will bring out any darker skinned characters. Like other people mentioned. They base they're games off of their culture and it is not like a lot of darker people live in Japan. People over there have fairer skin than in most countries.

There are plenty of brown Japanese people, I know a few... and don't forget about the Ganguro (sp.?) lolz

Corruptodile
June 27th, 2010, 01:36 PM
it would be cool to design your own character =)

I'd love that. Really. That would be amazing and make some sort of identity and adds something unique to your character when battling other people :)

MistahDude
June 27th, 2010, 01:36 PM
lol,black people in pokemon i'd like to see that.

You ever see Brock? He was black. You ever see that episode with the Ludicolo trainer? He was mexican.

Oh it's more than an assumption. He's known as the Lightning American. =]

Yeah Surge is the American War General.

Fun fact: Fantina is American in the french version of Diamomd/Pearl/Platinum.

Azure-Supernova
June 27th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Black people aren't in Pokemon as we have all said 1,000,000,000 times because Japan has roughly 2 Black people in it... If you didn't notice most of the characters are Asians....Because it's Japan... Only Whites are from America...

I just had to bring this up cause it bothered me for some reason... White people are from Europe ;D

And I support customization to a degree... it's a little crappy having the same overworld and trainer sprite as everyone else =/

Solon.
June 27th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I noticed no black people when i was a kid watchin teh animez :P

=Italian-Steelix=
June 27th, 2010, 03:34 PM
I have just one thing to say,
Jynx
End of story

Darkmoonazara
June 27th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Personally, to me it doesn't matter if there are never any blacks, or if the game was filled with them. To me, its the plot and storyline that counts.

Bluerang1
June 27th, 2010, 07:23 PM
If that leaked pic is legitimate, then my notion was right! The next Anime protagonist female is dark skinned, might be "Black" as you say.

PiPVoda
June 27th, 2010, 07:29 PM
If that leaked pic is legitimate, then my notion was right! The next Anime protagonist female is dark skinned, might be "Black" as you say.

really? :D o.O? I thought it would be that girl that they showed, a.k.a. white/bianca? I'd loveeeeeee to believe you, but I'm still in doubt. I remember you saying some months back that the girl in the first few screenshots was dark-skinned, but I thought she was just an extra!