PDA

View Full Version : 3D Games... Your views?

Captain Fabio
June 12th, 2010, 04:26 AM
http://www.ladonia.net/new_herald/wp-content/3d_nimis2.jpg
3D Gaming
[[If you have 3D glasses, you can see the picture fully]]

Ok, so 3D is seeming to start to come back since the early 00's, but stronger and better.

I was wondering, what are your views on 3D in gaming, do you think it will open new worlds into the gaming scene, or do you think it is just a gimmick, another money printing scheme.

Personally, until it is standard, I think 3D is useless. I work part time in a store that has 3D TV's. Although they are really good, they are very expensive. You will end up paying £3000 + for the 3D TV, and then £80+ for the glasses.

When the glasses are not needed, 3D will become a lot better.
[css-div="clear:right"][/css-div]

Cassino
June 12th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I was watching Princess Mononoke not long ago, and I noticed the scene where Ashitaka first sees the Deer God had a sort of 3D effect with the trees as the viewpoint zoomed past them. Also in the documentary series 'Cities of the Underworld' a number of those black and white scenes during historical commentary had the same effect.

Given these examples it seems perfectly doable without glasses to me, to make at least 2D objects appear with greater perspective just by moving and resizing the closer objects faster than the further away ones. I think ultimately this 3D is a gimmick made upon the recent revival of the popularity of wearing stupid (imho) red/blue glasses while watching films, though it'd probably work well for FPS games I think, but by and large it has little use. If anything, red/blue 3D will make games even more cinematic and less in fact games than they already have become.

sab
June 12th, 2010, 09:22 AM
If like dpt or hgss had good a 3D genorator they would be much better. for now the games are just 2¾D so everything looks really weird, and not smooth at all... when the new ds comes out it might be better though.

vibratingcat
June 13th, 2010, 03:02 AM
They were showing avatar the game in 3d at a game expo in my town. from what i saw, it looked really nice and wouldnt mind seeing it implemented in a few games such as pokemon. Although its not necessary, i dont think its one of those gimmicks like the motion controls.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty
June 13th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Whilst I am excited for the 3DS, I am dubious about 3D in general. I don't understand the point of paying extra money for films or games just so that they 'jump out at you'. imo, if you need a gimmick like 3D to sell your movie/game, it can't be that brilliant to start off with :/ But I shall wait and see what Nintendo bring us at E3 before passing final judgement.

PkMnTrainer Yellow
June 14th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Not excited. Kind of terrified. I personally find the entire thing to be a gimmick, especially in video games.

I am not looking forward to the 3DS at all. ;x

Åzurε
June 14th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Hey, between 3D and this thing (http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2010-05/invention-awards-wearable-woofer-immerses-you-videogames), I could even get behind Sony.

Akeraz
June 14th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Hey, between 3D and this thing (http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2010-05/invention-awards-wearable-woofer-immerses-you-videogames), I could even get behind Sony.

Soundwhoring on Steroids.
Sounds good.

WriteThemWrong
June 14th, 2010, 08:38 PM
i saw a 3d tv at an electronics store the other day and the picture looked amazing, even without the glasses it looked great. if they can successfully integrate 3d into everyday tv viewing and video gaming, it'll be huge, especially for those people that want everything fresh off the factories

Captain Fabio
July 9th, 2010, 07:19 AM
i saw a 3d tv at an electronics store the other day and the picture looked amazing, even without the glasses it looked great. if they can successfully integrate 3d into everyday tv viewing and video gaming, it'll be huge, especially for those people that want everything fresh off the factories

The standard TV looks good but 3D TV without glasses might make you feel ill XD

They do have a beautifully clear picture. But I still don't think they will do the industry any good :/

x Necromorph x
July 9th, 2010, 08:16 AM
The 3D glasses are just simply a burden, sorry if thats spelled wrong xD. Though I wouldnt mind wearing them while playing, say CoD. A 3D FPS game would be pretty cool, in my opinion. A lot of movies out now have been using 3D, ever since James Cameron's Avatar.(Fav movie<333 lol)
I have seen some of these movies and the 3D isnt really good. Example, I saw The Last Airbender in 3D, and it didnt matter if I had the glasses or not, it looked pretty much the same. Which leads me to believe that they could make 3D without the glasses. I also think 3D will become way more popular without the glasses.
If they imply the same 3D in Avatar, to video games, that will be just a crazy, awesome gaming experience.
About the 3D TV's someone mentioned, I totally agree, they are really cool, but as of now, they are quite pointless, expensive, and annoying. Wearing glasses at home while watching TV is not really what I want to do.

Sorry for getting off topic there, but I think 3D games will be pretty cool.

Captain Fabio
July 9th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Personally, I think Avatar only got its major fame from the graphical CGI and the 3D.
I didn't enjoy it that much.

Anyway, once 3D no longer needs glasses, it will become an asset I think.

Nuke
July 9th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Amazingly, the Avatar game can be played in 3D but it needs a 3D-ready tv and a bunch of other requirements.

Between them requirements and the lack of demand I wonder if anyone has ever played it in 3D.

A Pixy
July 9th, 2010, 10:43 AM
As long as I have a choice on whether or not to use it, I'm perfectly happy with this advancement in tech. (b")b

Barney.
July 9th, 2010, 10:45 AM
The glasses ruin it. That's all really.

As soon as you can get the excact same 3D effect as you do with the glasses, without them, It will be a great piece of tech.

Before people go like "3DS HAS NO GLASSES MOFO!!!!11111!!!1!!!11111.////"

I know. I'm a Nintendo fanboy too. But the 3D effect isn't as prominent and effective as it is with glasses. Not saying it's not good though, because it is..Also the 3DS made me poo, I'm that excited, Once again a revolutionary step from Nintendo...That Microsoft and Sony will take and make slightly better...

Wings Don't Cry
July 11th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Given these examples it seems perfectly doable without glasses to me, to make at least 2D objects appear with greater perspective just by moving and resizing the closer objects faster than the further away ones. I think ultimately this 3D is a gimmick made upon the recent revival of the popularity of wearing stupid (imho) red/blue glasses while watching films, though it'd probably work well for FPS games I think, but by and large it has little use. If anything, red/blue 3D will make games even more cinematic and less in fact games than they already have become.

You guys still use those, don't you have those new clear ones at your cinemas yet that don't give you a headache and only cost a dollar.