PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] Black and white English name speculation (NOT REAL NAMES!!!!)

SargeantMajorKururu
June 12th, 2010, 03:23 PM
This is a thread to speculate what the English names of the pokemon COULD be not what they already are! Sorry for dissapointing some of you.

But while you're you're here, hear me out. I really like these pokemon so far. I can't wait to play it personally. But my questioning is the English naming. I just hope they have good names. What about you? You have ideas as to what they could be called?

I have a few ideas myself.

Mijumaru -- Ottide (Otter + Tide)

Mamepato -- Appidgeon (Apprentice + Pidgeon) (I was thinkig the final form could be Muskidgeon (Musketeer + Pidgeon) so I thought, they all have to start somewhere...)

Hihidaruma -- Gorruma (Gorilla + Daruma)

Shimama -- Zeblast (Zebra + Blast) (I think it's cool :P)

Meguroko -- Crocodesert (Crocodile + Desert) (Because he's a ground too?)

Shuckleman
June 12th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Hihidaruma -- Pyrobrow - a combination of pyro (fire) and brow (as in his huge firey eyebrows.).

HannahMontana
June 12th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Zebra = Zapra

Fire Pig = Emboar

Timbjerr
June 12th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Here be my best guesses. :P

Tsutaaja = Aspleaf (asp [type of venomous snake] + leaf)
Pokabu = Pyroink (pyro + oink)
Mijumaru = Shellott (shell + otter)
Chiramii = Chinchill (word chincilla truncated)
Mamepato = pidgey Dovely (dove + ly [suffix indicating lack of experience])
Hihidoruma = Dharmape (Dharma [common romanization of Daruma] + ape)
Shimama = Zebramp (zebra + amp [unit of measuring electrical current])
Meguroko = Crocodune (crocodile + sand dune)
Munna = Mooner (approximate transliteration/describes an association with the moon, fitting for a psychic-type)
Gear = Gear, lulz

Jerme
June 12th, 2010, 03:53 PM
crocodesert sounds way too generic.

i'm very prosaic at naming things, but how about....

Munna = Mooner (approximate transliteration/describes an association with the moon, fitting for a psychic-type)

that sounds so wrong lol

Xebelleon
June 12th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Pokabu = Pignite, Barbecute, Piglit
Mijamaru = Cotter (sea otter...), Wotter
Tsutaja = Anoleaf
Shimama = Zapra sounds about right
Chiramii = Chinchi
Hihi.. the fire thing = Darumagma
Mamepato = Pidgynx
Munna = Midnap
Magaroko = Dunedee...

GoldvsRed
June 12th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Tsutaja - Vink (Vine + Skink)
Pokabu - Pignite (Pig + Ignite)
Mijumaru - Lutide (Lutra, an otter's genus name + Tide, though the "lu" part could also be related to "lunar," relating to the tide theme)
Mamepato - Okay, Dovely is a good name for it, and I can't think of one myself. Its final evolution should be called "Dovine."
Chiramii - Dustear (lame name, but it's a combination of "dusty" and "ear". I have a few pet chinchillas, and they have huge ears, and have to take dust baths to get clean. Simple, yet boring.)
Shimama - Hooflash (Because lightning is bright, I was thinking Hoof + Flash. That, or Zebright)
Hihidoruma - Baburn (Baboon + Burn)
Munna - Tapetite (Tapir + Appetite)
Gear - Tual (Tool + Dual, Tooth + Dual, Tool + Teal, like its nose, etc...)
Meguroko - Sneakrok (Sneak + Croc, it looks like it would be a really stealthy ambusher)

That is all for now. I don't really like some of the names I chose, like Lutide or Hooflash...

Kirbychu
June 12th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Tsutaja = Anoleaf
Please no... I can only imagine how that will be interpreted by the internet. :P

Zebra=Zapra
Otter=Ottide
Pig=Emboar, Pignition, Bakeon
Gear=Gear

Dillon_68
June 12th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Tsutaja = Vinewt (Vine + Newt)
Pokabu = Pignite (Pig + Ignite)
Mijimaru = Lutide (Lutra [Genus] + Tide)
Chirimii = Chinchild (Chinchilla + Child)
Munna = Hippee (Hippy [Floral Pattern similar to hippy-style] + the "ee" from Drowzee)
Zebra = Zebolt (Zebra + Bolt)
Hihidaruma = Porcelape (Porcelain [Daruma Doll] + Ape)
Croc PKMN = Croasis (Crocodile + Oasis)
Pigeon = Smidgeon (Smidge + Pigeon)
Gear = Cogs (Cogs, as in plural cog, lol)

mystera
June 12th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Mijimaru - Aquatter (Aqua + Otter)
Tsutaja - Taipleaf (Taipan + Leaf)
Pokabu - Pyrig (Pyro + Pig)
Chiramii - Chinchill
Munna - Floream (Flower + Dream)
Meguroko - Dustodile (Dust + Crocodile)
Mamepato - Pidgkid (Pigeon + Kid)
Hihidaruma - Marburn (Marble + Burn)
Shimama - Zelektron (Zebra + Electron)
Gear - Bolts
Dr. Araragi - Prof. Lycae (Acc. to Wikipedia Araragi is a genus of a butterfly in the family Lycaenidae)

Thorns
June 12th, 2010, 11:43 PM
As we know, American pronounciation is way different from Japanese. Thus, when faced with some Japanese Pokemon names, America changes them to be more understandable for small children.

In many cases, they like to make puns out of their names.

For example, Gulpin, who's original Japanese name is Gokulin, was changed and it could be said that the gulp in Gulpin derives from the word gulping. Ironically, it learns moves such as Spit Up and Swallow which all connect to gulping.

But so far, Legendary Pokemon's original names seemed to be retained.

So even though we know their original names, there is still room to speculate what some of the newly revealed 5th Generation Pokemon's English names might be.

So let's hear what you think some of the new Pokemon's names might be.

I'm going to guess Giaru's names may be based off the word Gear and it could be Digear or Twigear.

MistahDude
June 12th, 2010, 11:47 PM
As we know, American pronounciation is way different from Japanese. Thus, when faced with some Japanese Pokemon names, America changes them to be more understandable for small children.

In many cases, they like to make puns out of their names.

For example, Gulpin, who's original Japanese name is Gokulin, was changed and it could be said that the gulp in Gulpin derives from the word gulping. Ironically, it learns moves such as Spit Up and Swallow which all connect to gulping.

But so far, Legendary Pokemon's original names seemed to be retained.

So even though we know their original names, there is still room to speculate what some of the newly revealed 5th Generation Pokemon's English names might be.

So let's hear what you think some of the new Pokemon's names might be.

I'm going to guess Giaru's names may be based off the word Gear and it could be Digear or Twigear.

Mijumaru = Wotter
Pokabu = Pyroink/Boarbeque

Serene Grace
June 12th, 2010, 11:47 PM
I'm pretty sure "Gearu" itself will be called "Gear" in the English pronounciation. It's just how the Japanese say "Gear" themselves. As for the others, I have no idea. We need some Japanese speakers to help. XD;

rocky505
June 12th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Shimama= Zebolt
hihidaruma= Baburn.

Ravecat
June 12th, 2010, 11:56 PM
I'm really annoyed at the people who say those rumours aren't true because "Minotauros" is an English name.

Er, no it's not, Tauros is still called Kentauros in Japan, Minotauros makes perfect sense there.

Thorns
June 12th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Serene, I agree that Gear will be part of it's anme but I doubt that would be it's anme alone. I bet it will be a pun off it. I say this because Haunter's Japanese name is Ghost but they changed it be a pun of haunt. I think this because they don't want the kid's to confuse these words with the actual Pokemon.

The only exception I can think of at the moment is Gloom, but gloom isn't an actual physical thing, but a verb.

Ravecat
June 13th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Yeah, I also agree.

I don't think his name will be Gear itself, but some sort of pun on the word.

Thorns
June 13th, 2010, 12:04 AM
The thing is, I can only think of them punning the word gear with a word similar with the word two.

I really can't think of what else they could pun it from. Maybe a machine word or something.

SargeantMajorKururu
June 13th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Mijumaru = Wotter
Pokabu = Pyroink/Boarbeque

OH PLEASE NOT WOTTER it's so stupid and generic! Why not Ottide?

But I do like Boarbeque :P

Ravecat
June 13th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Cogear! - Cog-Gear.
Cogonite! - like Magnemite.
Gearo? - Lol.
Gearn! - Sounds 4th Gen
Duogear! - Duo Gear?
Duocog! - Duo Cog?

None that are good in the slighest. )':

rocky505
June 13th, 2010, 12:36 AM
I'm really annoyed at the people who say those rumours aren't true because "Minotauros" is an English name.

Er, no it's not, Tauros is still called Kentauros in Japan, Minotauros makes perfect sense there. What does this have to do with the thread?

I cant think of anymore xD

Ravecat
June 13th, 2010, 12:39 AM
It's a thread about the comparison between Japanese and English names in Black and White, maybe, I don't know?

rocky505
June 13th, 2010, 12:46 AM
It's a thread about the comparison between Japanese and English names in Black and White, maybe, I don't know? No it is what we think their english names will be. And Minotauros isn't even confirmed yet.

Ravecat
June 13th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Semantics.
Needless argument; stop talking.

Back on topic, yes?

rocky505
June 13th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Semantics.
Needless argument; stop talking.

Back on topic, yes? I wasnt arguing I was just telling you.

On-topic: mamepato=Dovian

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty
June 13th, 2010, 01:15 AM
As we know, American English pronounciation is way different from Japanese. Thus, when faced with some Japanese Pokemon names, America the West changes them to be more understandable for small children.

As for OT, I definitely think that Gear will be the name for the cog-like Pokémon (then you can add further puns on with the evolution, if there is one). I hope that they keep Chiramii similar for the English versions, though - I don't think that 'Chirami' would be too hard for kids to say. :|

Ravecat
June 13th, 2010, 02:28 AM
I wasnt arguing I was just telling you.
Well derp it's pretty easy to see how my post was relevant.

I want the Pigeon to have a good name, I love him. <3
But Pidgey is taken?

wenghow77
June 13th, 2010, 03:20 AM
Name is doesn't matter,cuz i like their look :) cute~!

Tanaki
June 13th, 2010, 04:02 AM
I wanna see Tsutaaja's final evolution have a sweet name like Serpentwine.

Mujahid
June 13th, 2010, 04:06 AM
I've some names :-
Shimama(zebra) = zelectric
mijamaru(otter) = ottell(otter + shell..can be alott better)
pokabu = pyrog(pyro + hog)
tsutarja = smugleaf(duh!)...
croc = darkile(dark+crocodile..i like this one)

Hmm...there are huge possibilities of cool names here...i hope they give them some really awesome names

JAK3
June 13th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Munna = Psypir ( Psychic + Tapir ) I actually just came up with that one.
That's all I can think of right now.. :|

Forever
June 13th, 2010, 05:25 AM
I only want Chiramii / Munna to stay the same. The former because it sounds cute as it is, and Munna... for PC reasons, lol.

Umm, to change? Mamepato becoming Bircrest or something. Like... bird crest / breast. Cause something mentioned that it has something to do with its ability or...idk. But yeah I hope the English name sounds nothing like the Japanese one. Shimama should become Zerike or something, representing Zebra Strike or something along those lines.

Yeah those were the best I could get without using others ideas, which for some, I find to be pretty good.

ElectricScyther
June 13th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Meguroko = Niledile (Nile + crocodile)
Giaru = Coglink (cog + link)
Shimama = Zapbra (Zap + zebra)
Tsutaja = Cooleaf (cool + leaf)

Cherrim
June 13th, 2010, 06:30 AM
This thread has gotten pretty big so I'm not going to merge it in buuut we already have a thread for deciding on English names (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=218913). Let's keep it all in that one, okay?