PDA

View Full Version : Kinect: Your Opinion!

pichuspark
June 15th, 2010, 07:49 PM
At the Microsoft conference at E3, the company revealed the Kinect; something that I'd define as the Wii...without a remote!

What I hated about Kinect was how it WAS PRESENTED. It was basically copying half of Nintendo's Wii games (Kinect Sports=Wii Sports, etc.). Yeah...although I heard some fanboys saying how Microsoft ripped off Nintendo's show...last year or so?

Anyway, what do you think about Kinect? Will you buy it?

Theodore Bruno
June 15th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Looks pretty bad. The fact that it has no buttons makes it very limited.

lx_theo
June 15th, 2010, 11:13 PM
The gimmick to end all gimmicks.

It doesn't have buttons, and it doesn't have enough versatility to even do the genre that sustains the 360, FPS.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty
June 16th, 2010, 12:46 AM
The Kinect and the Move amuse me so much. Microsoft and Sony spent ages ragging on Nintendo because lol a Wii what a ridiculous idea! ...and now they've realised that the Wii is more popular than the Xbox or PS3 (casual gamers or no, you can't deny this) they've made their own. So much for saying a hardcore fanbase is all you need!

lx_theo
June 16th, 2010, 12:56 AM
To be fair, how the Move was presented obviously was still with hardcore style games in mind. It is extremely similar to the Wii, but its not cheap.

Droidz
June 16th, 2010, 01:15 AM
I don't see myself getting it, i would prefer to play my Wii over Kinect any day.

Theodore Bruno
June 16th, 2010, 01:23 AM
The Kinect and the Move amuse me so much. Microsoft and Sony spent ages ragging on Nintendo because lol a Wii what a ridiculous idea! ...and now they've realised that the Wii is more popular than the Xbox or PS3 (casual gamers or no, you can't deny this) they've made their own. So much for saying a hardcore fanbase is all you need!
Best part is. Now that PS3 and 360 gone casual, it seems Nintendo stepped it up a bit and will be releasing more "hardcore" games. Perhaps they planned this in the beginning.

Cherrim
June 16th, 2010, 05:37 AM
I don't like the idea of Kinect. Or the name.

I agree with Sony--you need buttons or some kind of tactile way to input controls. Or you need something to hold while you pretend to do something. The PS Move might be a very blatant rip-off of a Nintendo Wii remote & nunchuk but at least it makes sense. I may not need two controllers to pretend I'm holding a bow and arrow, but if I'm pretending to shoot a bow and arrow at a target in a video game... I might as well go outside and pretend to do it. :/

I dunno, I'd just feel a lot more ridiculous flailing around in my living room without a controller to at least signal to other people in the house that I swear I'm not totally crazy but it just doesn't sound as natural as Microsoft is toting. It's just not clicking with me and I haven't seen a reason to buy it.

Though I admit there are some games I wouldn't mind trying out on Kinect. Katamari is a big one, especially since I know it's doable as it was a basic tech demo last year. :O But the one game, even if it were announced, isn't enough to make me want to spend $150 or whatever it is for the upgrade.
Best part is. Now that PS3 and 360 gone casual, it seems Nintendo stepped it up a bit and will be releasing more "hardcore" games. Perhaps they planned this in the beginning.
I think it's moreso that Nintendo doesn't have to show off their motion control anymore because they've been using the tech for years. :/ It's not new and they know that even the casuals would be bored if that was all they had to offer.

(Though I won't deny that Nintendo probably pulled in a lineup of all-star games in order to one-up the competition who had really, really boring presentations. XD)

Alinthea
June 16th, 2010, 06:59 AM
I don't like the idea of having no controller what so ever. I like being able to not move when playing a game.

Although controlling your menu with your hands is cool, it is just gimmick and doesn't interest me at all. :/

JP
June 16th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I'm a bit surprised so many people are hating on it. I found it to be rather amazing. All the stuff they showed us without the use of a controller, I think it's awesome.

At first I'll admit that I wasn't too fond of the idea, nor was I excited. It's true that the idea of not having a controller is odd and uncomfortable. After seeing the footage at E3 though, something grabbed a hold of me. I loved pretty much everything they showed that was related to Kinect.

That being said, I can't picture myself playing a shooter, or something like Assassin's Creed on it. It almost seems like its more geared towards movies and social network aspects than it is gaming.

Yoshimi
June 16th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Natal seems annoying. It just feels more natural using buttons or grasping something instead of trying to be a shadow boxer the whole time. I can't ignore that $150 is pretty expensive and Move is only $50 or $100 if you don't have the camera.

No, Sony still realized that they need to appeal to the hardcore gamers as well. That's why SOCOM 4 and Killzone 3 will come with full Move support. They'll probably come with much more hardcore games for Move.

Cherrim
June 16th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Move is more expensive in the longrun. :/ A full controller (both main wand and the nunchuk-wannabe) is... what, $80? Plus say the one-time camera is $30 at least and you're dropping $110.

And if you want to play a two-player game or something? Another full controller set and you're nearing $200. At least Kinect would only be the one-time $150.

dithyrambos
June 16th, 2010, 10:41 AM
I think it's a great way to attract casual gamers, but the price is counterintuitive in this sense. Assuming said person doesn't have an XBOX 360, why would they buy a 360 and the Kinect when the can get the Wii for a cheaper price? Not only that, but I believe the Wii's library of games for the casual gamer completely blows Microsoft's out of the water. I honestly don't think anyone is going to go buy a 360 just to play Kinect games; the Kinect seems more or less aimed at people who already have the system. But from what I've gathered the most popular XBOX games are FPS, and other types of games where button controls simply cannot be done away with.... Same goes for Sony's Move. Who in their right mind would buy these expensive systems in favor of the Wii?

Ah, it would make a great Christmas gift, though. I suppose for the parents of an 8 year old casual gamer and a teen-aged hardcore gamer, this could be the perfect system for them. It'd also be a great system for the all-around gamer who plays casually and seriously. *Scratches head.* But still, $150 bucks? I'd rather pay the extra $50 for a Wii! Maybe I'm just biased.

Sucks for Sony. :/ <--- ETA: lol, I mean t to take that out of my message but I forgot. To explain, I think Sony is just way too expensive and, dare I say it? ...Unoriginal.

lx_theo
June 16th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Move is more expensive in the longrun. :/ A full controller (both main wand and the nunchuk-wannabe) is... what, $80? Plus say the one-time camera is $30 at least and you're dropping $110.

And if you want to play a two-player game or something? Another full controller set and you're nearing $200. At least Kinect would only be the one-time $150.

But Kinect still can't be used for any real games, like the only genre keeping the 360 around, FPS. It has no potential for any real game. The move does, and it seems to be targeted at that exact goal.

mehappy
June 17th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Just videotape yourself playing with the Kinect and then watch it.
You'll see my point of HOW RIDICULOUS YOU LOOK using it.

Alli
June 17th, 2010, 07:03 AM
I think it's ridiculous. I wouldn't wanna dance around the play room (where my 360 is) because of Kinect. Like Lightning said, at least with the Wiimote, people will know you're playing a game. With Kinect, they'd just think you're being a complete idiot dancing and waving around. Another point I'd like to make is that when I play a game, I want to have a controller in hand. I want a good ole A button. There is no A button on my body, so Kinect, consider yourself crap.

Can't wait for AVGN to review this in 20 years! 8D

Agent Clank
June 17th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I think its Impressive how good of tech Microsoft has but I dont think I would buy Kinect.
I like sitting down and playing video games with a PS3 or Xbox 360 controller rather then Standing up and Playing with a Wii remote,Kinect or Playstation Move.

Yoshimi
June 17th, 2010, 12:17 PM

Because of that though, everyone has to share with only one camera. Natal can't remember voices so anyone can just troll you by saying "Xbox-STOP" when you're watching a movie. It seems that Microsoft is mimicking Apple with their war on buttons.

Alex_
June 17th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Here (http://gizmodo.com/5565657/xbox-360-kinect-teases-the-next-era-of-computing) is a really good read on Kinect. Admittedly I was never very keen on the idea of not having a controller or something to hold, but apparently it can work alongside a controller which is great. The guy made it seem like he preferred Kinect over the Move or the Wii which is surprising for me to hear.

Chibi Robo
June 17th, 2010, 02:08 PM
At least you cant throw your remote and break your flatscreen with kinnect.

TRIFORCE89
June 18th, 2010, 07:50 PM
At least you cant throw your remote and break your flatscreen with kinnect.
That's why you use the strap?

Because running around and flailing your arms around won't result in anyone hitting their TV...

Yoshimi
June 18th, 2010, 08:20 PM
That's why you use the strap?

Because running around and flailing your arms around won't result in anyone hitting their TV...

I'm pretty sure most people aren't idiotic enough to stay that close to their T.V.

dithyrambos
June 18th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Because of that though, everyone has to share with only one camera. Natal can't remember voices so anyone can just troll you by saying "Xbox-STOP" when you're watching a movie. It seems that Microsoft is mimicking Apple with their war on buttons.

That would actually be kinda funny (unless you're the person being trolled).

vibratingcat
June 22nd, 2010, 04:28 AM
i dont really care about it as i dont have a 360, but from what i have seen, it looks pretty dumb. Though i wish my friend would get it so we could dance retardedly to dance masters like those dudes from konami! XD
katamari sounds cool, though i think i would prefer the controller.

Numbers
June 22nd, 2010, 02:09 PM
I'm surprised no-one has brought up "Eyetoy" for the PS2 as "Kinect" to me is more like this than the Wii (Although, Kinect Sports... REALLY? :\ If you're going to rip-off the Wii at least make the name original haha) I think that it will just be an upgraded version of the Eyetoy. Don't think I'm going to buy it but if any of my friends do then sure, I'll have a go just to say I've tried it.

A Pixy
June 22nd, 2010, 06:40 PM
I'm surprised no-one has brought up "Eyetoy" for the PS2 as "Kinect" to me is more like this than the Wii (Although, Kinect Sports... REALLY? :\ If you're going to rip-off the Wii at least make the name original haha) I think that it will just be an upgraded version of the Eyetoy. Don't think I'm going to buy it but if any of my friends do then sure, I'll have a go just to say I've tried it.

There were, like, two games that used the eyetoy and that was a generation ago.

As for the Kinect, judging it by Microsoft's press conference, having little to no control and doing with my hands what I can already do with an analog stick isn't very appealing. You can't use that for gaming as far as I see. IMO, Motion control needs to add to the already established game controller. It helps enhance the immersion and things like that. When that's all you have, and considering it's so young and so flawed (Forza: No acceleration or deceleration. Star Wars: Flail arms, dash, rinse, repeat.) it can't appeal to anyone, especially not their CORE DEMOGRAPHIC. Think about it, Nintendo was making the Wii to go with a new strategy to make money. Their Blue Water strategy is paying off and the hardcore fans, while upset at the beginning, just look at their last couple E3 conferences, are now happy. New Donkey Kong Country, new Kirby, new Metroid, their happy. The Kinect can't do that. No matter how hard it tries, it has one market and although that might pay off for a while, ignoring your core demographic I find to be disgusting. Microsoft is making the mistake that Nintendo made. Appeal to the casual market and only the casual market and throw your core demographic a Halo shaped bone every now and again. Nintendo learned from that mistake and, to remedy this, have made bridge games. Games that make both parties happy (Mario Kart Wii and NSMB Wii are both perfect examples). Microsoft probably isn't going to do that, IMO.

To sum it up: READ THIS. (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=269)

Rich Boy Rob
June 23rd, 2010, 02:20 AM
Eh. I'd rather just play my wii to be honest. I mean, I'd rather have some kind of control-input-method type thing in my hand. As people have said, this just won't work for the Xbox's 2 genres: FPS's and Racers. I mean I see how you could steer, but there would be no way to accelerate, brake or really any other function.
The only game that interests me that uses this is Fable III. Though that's probably just a little gimmicky mini-game.
Ironic how Sony & Microsoft bashed Nintendo's motion controls only to jump straight on the bandwagon when the wii's popularity skyrocketed. It wouldn't surprise me if at the next E3 they announced the PSP & Xbox touch, seeing as the DS is (literally) the best selling console in history.

Hiroshi Sotomura
June 23rd, 2010, 03:22 AM
No matter how hard it tries, it has one market and although that might pay off for a while, ignoring your core demographic I find to be disgusting. Microsoft is making the mistake that Nintendo made. Appeal to the casual market and only the casual market and throw your core demographic a Halo shaped bone every now and again. Nintendo learned from that mistake and, to remedy this, have made bridge games. Games that make both parties happy (Mario Kart Wii and NSMB Wii are both perfect examples). Microsoft probably isn't going to do that, IMO.
Kudos for mentioning the Blue Ocean strategy. I'm not versed in disruption, but it's not wrong to say that Nintendo's been aiming that way for a while. However, I disagree that they were "ignoring [their] core demographic". What some people saw was Nintendo attempting to shift their strategy to what the games industry was chasing at the time, and you may be familiar with it: User-generated content. Animal Crossing offered little, instead attempting free DLC and its UGC to lure people. WarioWare: DIY was also a ploy of UGC. Wii Music was all about UGC. "Big" games from the other consoles, like LittleBigPlaner, were UGC. And they're not selling as well as New Super Mario Bros. Wii is. So what Nintendo's pretty much moved away from is UGC, and we're seeing the fruits of it. They were trying in 2009 - Flipnote Studio and WarioWare: DIY received little marketing, Wii Music was brushed away, and games like Wii Sports Resort and New Super Mario Bros. Wii were trumpeted like crazy. In 2010, we had little mention of UGC at all, and all they showed us were games that appeal to, what Nintendo loves saying nowadays, "everyone".

I feel this whole concept that Nintendo is aiming to reach a "casual market" is overblown, or really, a marketing ploy.

So after my giant wall of text, let's go back to the real topic of Kinect and how Microsoft is pitching it. The issue here isn't UGC, so you're right in suggesting that Microsoft is pitching it at the "casual market". You could say it's Nintendo's fault for luring both Sony and Microsoft into the "casual market", and Microsoft shows that they're really dedicating themselves to it - in the wrong way. We'll be getting copycat games for a little while - Wii Kinect Sports with only two people - will the "casual market" really get excited over these imitations? People aren't necessarily stupid; they won't have much issue at being able to tell what's a cheap imitation and what isn't.

Did Kinect have any true potential?

Oh, yeah.
http://i48.tinypic.com/epk4fa.jpg
I call this a staged performance. Just look at his hand.

Aether
June 23rd, 2010, 02:38 PM
Not particularly impressed. Sony did roughly the same thing with the Eyetoy years ago.

xxshiny_umbreonXX
July 3rd, 2010, 08:29 AM
I think it's a cool idea. The Kinectanimals are so cute! I'm gonna need my own 360 however.

Nuke
July 3rd, 2010, 08:35 AM
Well the proper games will still come out with a controller to use so I don't mind.

The problem with wii is they made everything else too low tech to create a good game without using controls now sony & microsoft can have a mixture.

I'm sure this will end it all pretty soon anyway and we'll all be back to normal games.

May or may not buy Kinect, not too important.

Vulpes bicaudata
July 3rd, 2010, 01:30 PM
I'm dubious. I think that completely button-free games can wait until consumer-level technology can accurately detect a wide, and I mean wide, range of motions of varying complexity. In other words, until we can achieve a level of control on-par with the Wii Remote without a controller, maybe we shouldn't bother with products like this.