View Full Version : Does anyone else miss the old contests?

June 17th, 2010, 7:32 PM
I know these new contests are pretty flaming, yeah they got hearts, they're pink, they're an embarressment. Hey! I know! Lets make them dance after you throw abunch of trees and stuff on em'! lol yeah now they kinda arent so fun.

But there was a day, son, when contests WERE fun. This was in the GENIII, when they did stuff. Although not everyone liked it, im sure more people liked it then GENIV contests.

Its a poll, so vote the way you feel is right.

EDIT: Ohs nos! You cant edit the poll options!!! NO!!!
I meant to put 4 options:
•I didnt like any of em'
•I like GENIII
•I like GENIV
•I like em' both

June 17th, 2010, 9:12 PM
I liked gen2 it was a better mini game more focused around strategy than interior decoration and accesorising. Seriously the gen4 contests are like watching the E channel.

Le Creep!
June 18th, 2010, 4:04 AM
I don't mind any of them. They're both nice, the preference for features go to GEN IV, because I love it how you can 'dance'.

The R/S/E contests are good also, but not as many features, and I prefer the term 'Poffins' than 'Pokeblocks'.

June 18th, 2010, 5:36 AM
I certainly prefered it when the number of stars you got in the first round was based purely on known values - namely a pokemon's contest stats - not some seemingly random value based on how many feathers you attached to it...

And what's the point to having three judges? It just makes it even more random and completely non-strategic. Oh, so you've got an awesome contest moveset? Well, that pokemon just appealed to the right judge and got a whole lot more points than you so you lose. Greeeaaat...

So yeah, I'm gonna vote that I liked Gen III. =p

June 18th, 2010, 7:10 AM
Gen 3 contests all the way. I felt that there was less useless "fluff" and more strategy. Sure dressing up and dancing is fun the first two times, but afterwords, it's unnecessary and a time waster. I also hate how they don't let you mess up other Pokemon and lower their scores. That was the strategy element in Gen 3, but they dumbed it down and glamored it up for Gen IV. If contests come back in Gen V, bring back a slightly improved Gen 3 contest or just don't include them at all. Honestly, I'd rather just have a new mechanic at this point.

EDIT: And I loathe making Poffins. Give me back the Pokeblock machine. It was more fun and easier to use.

June 18th, 2010, 7:43 AM
I personally prefer the Pokethlon to contests, however back when I first got Sapphire, I spent a lot of time doing contests. I really enjoyed them and like it's already been said, there was more strategy to it than gen IV contests. Dancing and dressing up? More like a dog show or a beauty pageant if you ask me. Dressing up a Steelix is a little weird too, I have to admit.

I liked gen2 it was a better mini game more focused around strategy than interior decoration and accesorising. Seriously the gen4 contests are like watching the E channel.

Gen II didn't have contests though. I assume you mean gen III, haha.

June 20th, 2010, 9:29 AM
I do like how Gen IV is a bit more....unique each time. I tend to be minimalist to win in that, it only worked for Dragonite:

Round 1: 2 decorations max. soft-reset for a better theme otherwise
Round 2: all movements within a second
Round 3: 2 moves: Dragon Dance + Outrage

However, the 3 judges thing is annoying...for that, I prefer Gen III, as simple Quick Attack + Aerial Ace combo on Swellow worked for me...

Shadow Dawn
June 20th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I have to say, I liked GenIII the best. But then again, I like almost everything about GenIII compared to GenIV. I loved how GenIII focused all on the moves and the strategy, and you could mess up your opponents. GenIV feels like they fluffed it up and dumbed it down.

June 20th, 2010, 3:15 PM
Maybe it was because I played a lot of smart contests (which meant a lot of jamming moves), but I can easily kiss the Gen 3 contests goodbye. Gen 4's contests are much more involving and much less infuriating.

June 20th, 2010, 6:17 PM
i like the Pokethlon. but as contests go i like the third generation. i hated having to dress up my pokemon and then im terrible at the dance part.

June 21st, 2010, 9:13 AM
even though i just think all contests are unnecessary, the genIII ones are the only good(ish) ones. dressing up the pokemon? really?

June 21st, 2010, 8:25 PM
Yeah dress-up and weak dancing-simulation aren't 'me'. Pretty much, for dress up, I pile random crap in the box, and dancing seems to be glitched so you can't win. Also, cooking Poffins was ...unfun. If I wanna cook, I'll play Cooking Mama.
PokeBlocks had strategy, man. And the multiple judges of Gen IV hindered the appeals, the best part.

June 22nd, 2010, 7:25 PM
I just miss the contests in general. It was something extra to do besides just collect badges. My girlfriend's 9yo daughter recently started playing and she's not too great at the battling, so I'd always sort of wished that they'd have different contest halls in each town along with the gyms for the people who aren't all about the battling, sorta' like in the anime series. More stuff to do is never a bad thing.

June 23rd, 2010, 3:08 AM
In Gen III, I got all 21 ribbons on one Pokémon. All I need is the Blender Master and just a little bit of luck.

In Gen IV, I had to enter five different Pokémon to get five Master Rank ribbons. Even then, it's not guranteed I'll win because there are too many judges who are probably haxxed in the higher ranks, not to mention the various themes but not enough of the right Accessories. The dance was the only part I enjoyed because it is purely skill.

What I am hoping for in the fifth Gen is a mix of both. Bring back the Blend Master, the mono judge system and the combo mechanics. In short, more skill, less luck.

June 25th, 2010, 12:52 PM
They are both really good int heir own way. I do miss generation 3 contests though but I wish they would keep both. I'm curious as to what they'll do for generation 5 though.

July 2nd, 2010, 4:58 AM
I was never really a fan of contests, I might start playing them now. But, the newer contests look more fun..

July 2nd, 2010, 8:18 AM
Hoenn Contests are the best. It's the truth.

July 13th, 2010, 6:29 AM
Gen 3 contests all the way. That was the strategy element in Gen 3, but they dumbed it down and glamored it up for Gen IV.
EDIT: And I loathe making Poffins. Give me back the Pokeblock machine. It was more fun and easier to use.
Exactly...I could nearly make master on the gen 3 contests without even using pokeblocks if I timed everything exactly right, but this new "contest" uggg...

sidenote: although the pokethon is cool ^_^

Edward Elric
July 15th, 2010, 3:40 PM
I was never really a fan of Pokemon Contests. I did them a couple of times in my Sapphire, but I personally prefer the Pokethlon. I think its more fun.

July 16th, 2010, 1:35 PM
The pokethlon in HGSS I really enjoy too.

One thing I do like about the new generation, though, is how much easier it is to make high level pokeblocs/poffins.
GenIII and GenIV use essentially the same mechanics, but if you look it up, many of the berries now have alot less "Smooth" or "Feel" that factors into the limit of the number of poffins/blocs you can feed a pokemon.

http://www.upokecenter.com/games/rs/berries.php for GenIII
http://www.upokecenter.com/games/dp/berries.php for GenIV

I still like genIII, dispite the more-difficult-to-make-perfect-pokeblocs.

July 22nd, 2010, 6:09 PM
I love Gen 3 contests. I hate accessorizing my pokemon just so I have a higher chance of losing because I don't have the proper items in Gen 4. I somewhat enjoy the dance portion, though.

July 22nd, 2010, 7:43 PM
*Raises hand* Yes, I also miss the third gen contests. Why? Because the fourth gen ones were disappointing.

July 23rd, 2010, 3:58 AM
I've always hated the contests (not literally)
I always lost, lol.
I got pissed off that I was always the fourth one, and that the judges liked everyone else's Pokémon but mine ;-;

July 23rd, 2010, 4:43 AM
•I like GENIII
'Cause I hate the dancing part in GenIV. I always lost...>.<

July 23rd, 2010, 8:34 PM
I haven't done a Gen III contest in a while, but I remember them enough to say that I like them a lot more than Gen IV contests. (And Pokeblock sounds cool to me :3)

July 25th, 2010, 11:35 PM
YES! I miss them soo much! I really wish that they hadn't added the 'super' part because I think it really just makes it more difficult and time consuming.

July 27th, 2010, 8:33 PM
the new ones confuse me 0_o i liked rse contests most.

July 28th, 2010, 6:25 PM
edit: allready posted here, my bad.

July 28th, 2010, 8:06 PM
I like the Gen IV contests. But I like the Pokeathlon more than contests.

July 29th, 2010, 3:47 PM
i just think the dance and decoration should be scrapped, if i were a poke contest watcher i would watch for good looking move combos, not what goodies a trainer was able to buy to make his pokemon to look like something else.

July 30th, 2010, 7:22 AM
I never really liked contests.

July 31st, 2010, 3:33 PM
I used to do contests all the time in R/S/E, now I don't do them at all because they take too long and don't get straight to the point.

Since when can a Wailord dance anyway? o.O

August 14th, 2010, 5:59 PM
I've always hated contests.
They really are just a waste of time in my

August 15th, 2010, 7:08 AM
I like them both. I think the dress up part of the Gen IV contests is very fun. I love making my Pokemon look good. =) The dancing part is ok as well. Gen III contests were more simple though and the mechanism for making PokeBlocks (the little spinny thingy...) was more enjoyable. Oh, Gen III had cooler combos as well. I enjoyed the III contests way more (they took up way too much of my life, haha >.<), but IV isn't all that bad.

August 15th, 2010, 8:21 AM
I've always hated contests.
They really are just a waste of time in my

I agree completely. Contests don't serve any real purpose.

August 16th, 2010, 7:04 AM
Gen 3 contests all the way thank you very much, Getting a team full of Master rank pokemon was awesome! but thats just me. Gen 4 was good too I suppose.

Ankoku Flare
August 16th, 2010, 7:18 AM
I prefer the old contest from the gen IV ones. The current ones seem to drift away from the once they do from the anime. I mean they removed combos... And the way you had to dress up for a certain topic was very vague on information.

August 22nd, 2010, 4:15 AM
For me, the Gen III ones are WAY better than Gen IV because:

a.) It has more of a strategical aspect and better gameplay than the Sinnoh contests, plus you don't have to have lots of dress-up items just to win a third of your total.
b.) Pokeblocks were easier to make.
c.) You can win more easily because Pokeblocks raise the stats higher while adding less luster.

August 22nd, 2010, 7:19 AM
I have no problem with the Dancing and Dressing part...

But I dislike it when they "change" the combos moves and they even take the jamming part for worst :( making it less fun...

August 22nd, 2010, 11:03 AM
Although I'm not a huge fan of contests, I did actually enjoy playing the gen III contests (However I do hate the gen IV ones). I remember winning the beauty master rank contest with my Blaziken and winning the cool master rank contest with my Swellow. I think I liked the contests in gen III more, because it was 'Just another minigame'. Gamefreak didn't try to make them seem all cool, they had a little charm to them. The gen IV ones seem to be ridiculous...dressing up Pokemon? Having them dance? Why? What's the point? I felt it was extremely tedious to sit through the first two parts of the contests just to get to the 'fun' part, which wasn't as fun (IMO), because there were no jamming moves...

August 24th, 2010, 2:34 AM
YESSSSSSS. *snifflesniffle*

Poffins = Ruin my screen.

The Red Chain
August 24th, 2010, 7:25 AM
It was definitely nice not having to worry about putting one of those DS screen covers on the bottom screen to prevent all the ripping Poffin making can cause. It's a fun little thing to do, but not when it puts all sorts of scratches in your screen. >:

My best friend's bottom screen on her DS was ripped up so bad it was hardly seeable through it due to Poffin making [along with other antics].

August 26th, 2010, 6:21 PM
I really liked the 3rd gen contests. They were so much funner and got you to use more strategy. The 4th gen contests were really boring and took a lot of time and the Poffins were harder to make then Pokeblocks. The Pokemon Musicals don't look that good either. It's obvious that they are trying to put something for girls into Pokemon now because before it was specifically aimed at boys..

December 25th, 2010, 8:18 AM
Pokeathalon - IS THE BEST!
Gen III - I didnt really play it, I got Gen IV first
Gen IV - Meh....

Winner is Pokeathalon.

In Gen 6 I want Gen 3, 4, and 5 mixed together OR in seperate places so you could choose one :)
including pokeathalon :)

December 25th, 2010, 5:27 PM
I actually liked the contests in Gen III. I would seriously have one party of Pokemon for battling, and a whole other party solely for participating in the contests. The later would eat all the Pokeblocks I made and would enter the contests. It was fun. I thought so, anyway.

The contests in Gen 4? Not so much. I don't particularly like them and making the Poffins is just plan out annoying. I tried the contests... but just gave up trying. I just don't like the new ones.

ETA: And the screen ruining thing is another reason I won't be doing the contests. I spent way too much money on my DS to ruin the screen making poffins. ._.

December 25th, 2010, 7:48 PM
Ho ho ho! Please don't be naughty and revive threads over a year old! -steal presents-