PDA

View Full Version : Would I even like Adventures?

Vulpes bicaudata
June 21st, 2010, 08:31 AM
I've never read Pokémon Adventures (or Pokémon Special or Pokéspe or whatever you want to call it), and I'm semi-interested in starting to read it. But everything I read about it leads me to believe I wouldn't like it.

For starters, it's supposed to be serious. Unfortunately, I can't take anything seriously. Ever. And, at least when it comes to comic books and TV shows, I want constant humor (assuming they're works of fiction and not documentaries or something; those don't have to be funny). And it has to be GOOD humor. I'm talking Mystery Science Theater 3000-good (or at least approaching it). At the VERY least, the characters shouldn't constantly be locked in conflicts with the fate of the world at stake.

Secondly, there's a bunch of main characters, and each chapter focuses on different ones. I find the concept of not having a consistent set of characters extremely irritating. I don't want to grow to like a character, and then all of a sudden they disappear for a long time.

Is this accurate, or do I have the wrong impression?

JakeyBoy
June 21st, 2010, 08:47 AM
For starters, it's supposed to be serious. Unfortunately, I can't take anything seriously. Ever. And, at least when it comes to comic books and TV shows, I want constant humor (assuming they're works of fiction and not documentaries or something; those don't have to be funny). And it has to be GOOD humor. I'm talking Mystery Science Theater 3000-good (or at least approaching it). At the VERY least, the characters shouldn't constantly be locked in conflicts with the fate of the world at stake.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm124/Jakeyboy909/pokebreasts.jpghttp://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm124/Jakeyboy909/donttellme.jpghttp://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm124/Jakeyboy909/happydos2.jpg
It's not that serious. It can get fairly serious towards the climax, but I as someone who loves a good bit of comedy can say that's how it should be.

Secondly, there's a bunch of main characters, and each chapter focuses on different ones. I find the concept of not having a consistent set of characters extremely irritating. I don't want to grow to like a character, and then all of a sudden they disappear for a long time.All the story arcs focus on anything between 1 and 3 main characters. However, in most cases characters from old arcs will appear towards the end and lend a hand in the final battle. Heck, arc 5 focuses on the three main characters from arc 1. It's hard to say without any spoilers, but the characters don't just disappear after their story is over.

I'd totally recommend this manga. I love it, and I don't read or care for any other manga, nor comic books for that matter.

Vulpes bicaudata
June 21st, 2010, 02:04 PM
Really, even SOME seriousness is too much for me. I would want a constant stream of comedy at least on the level of Green Acres.

But the character thing is an even bigger issue. Even moving the focus around seems pointless to me. Not only that, from what I've read, I can't say that I like any of the characters. Either they choose to use Pokémon I dislike, or their personalities are (to me) insufferable.

The more I read about it, the more I think I won't like it, sorry to say.

silverwind16
June 23rd, 2010, 02:43 AM
Instead of asking, why don't you just read it? That is the only way you are going to find out if you like it or not. xD

BTW your avatar is cute Vulpes :3

PunxsatownyPhil
July 3rd, 2010, 07:14 AM
Really, even SOME seriousness is too much for me. I would want a constant stream of comedy at least on the level of Green Acres.
How do you watch ANYTHING? You can't take any brevity? The anime had brevity! Did you watch any of the movies? I can't think of anything that has no seriousness at all!

But the character thing is an even bigger issue. Even moving the focus around seems pointless to me. Not only that, from what I've read, I can't say that I like any of the characters. Either they choose to use Pokémon I dislike, or their personalities are (to me) insufferable.
*Sigh* Oh no, Blue has a Golduck and acts like a jerk! I hate Golduck! He never acted like a jerk in the anime or games! I can't read this!

Okay, that was a bit jerk-y of me.

The more I read about it, the more I think I won't like it, sorry to say.

Try it? It's really not that much of an effort?

Vulpes bicaudata
July 4th, 2010, 09:03 AM
How do you watch ANYTHING? You can't take any brevity? The anime had brevity! Did you watch any of the movies? I can't think of anything that has no seriousness at all!
I don't think "brevity" is the word you're looking for. Do you mean "gravity"?

And I can think of plenty of series that are never serious, and even more that are only rarely serious.

PunxsatownyPhil
July 4th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Perhaps you're right. But even Bobobo Bo Bobobo was serious.

RivalGator
July 4th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I've never read Pokémon Adventures (or Pokémon Special or Pokéspe or whatever you want to call it), and I'm semi-interested in starting to read it. But everything I read about it leads me to believe I wouldn't like it.
It's got the Masked Man in it. There is no way you can deny it any longer now. lol.

For god's sake, why? I am the complete opposite... I can't get into something if it's got humor and comic relief in it. I like when the stories are always on the edge, nitty gritty, or life/death situation. When there his humor and comedy, it just gets stupid after a while, and I end up dreading when the certain character that brings the comedy comes on screen or page. Whatever. Humor is awful. It's only good for every 20 pages, but it should be constant ill-humor and grim endings. That's the fun of it. Nothing ends happily or... Eek, funny. Ugh. I'm getting to the point I am so sick of seeing humor that it disgusts me.

Secondly, there's a bunch of main characters, and each chapter focuses on different ones. I find the concept of not having a consistent set of characters extremely irritating. I don't want to grow to like a character, and then all of a sudden they disappear for a long time.
Well, I mean... That's basically letting the reader know that there is a REALLY huge world out there, and it's not all wrapped around Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/Gold/Silver/Crystal/etc. I mean, all these characters have their own goals and dreams and pasts and futures. I mean, if it all wrapped around one character, it would be harder to put characters like the Masked Man in there because it would be too difficult to understand if you didn't know everyone. If you catch my drift.

Is this accurate, or do I have the wrong impression?
You and I see things differently. But I think you need to try it before you knock it, yano? I thought I would hate it because they pussified Silver, but the Masked Man made it all better.

Vulpes bicaudata
July 4th, 2010, 05:31 PM
For god's sake, why? I am the complete opposite... I can't get into something if it's got humor and comic relief in it. I like when the stories are always on the edge, nitty gritty, or life/death situation. When there his humor and comedy, it just gets stupid after a while, and I end up dreading when the certain character that brings the comedy comes on screen or page. Whatever. Humor is awful. It's only good for every 20 pages, but it should be constant ill-humor and grim endings. That's the fun of it. Nothing ends happily or... Eek, funny. Ugh. I'm getting to the point I am so sick of seeing humor that it disgusts me.
This from a person with an Invader Zim avatar. But anyway, I have little patience for anything with story arcs and little humor. I can tolerate one or the other, but not both. If I'm forced to watch a serious TV show, I riff on it.

RivalGator
July 4th, 2010, 08:33 PM
This from a person with an Invader Zim avatar. But anyway, I have little patience for anything with story arcs and little humor. I can tolerate one or the other, but not both. If I'm forced to watch a serious TV show, I riff on it.

Actually... More Tak than Zim himself. Actually, the characters like Gir, I simply can't stand. The only episode that I watch over and over again is the Tak one, because I couldn't believe how awesome she was. She was the only character that had a brain and a grim past and a rather grim ending. She wasn't goofy. She was a 'get the darn job done right the first time person' so that's kind of a strange argument there. But I guess we're both right and wrong.

I'm not trying to put you down. The way I worded that stuff up there, I didn't really mean it in a mean way. I mean, I can handle comedy, but I much, much rather prefer seriousness to comedy. There is just some kind of awesomeness about it. It seems more realistic and it gives me a certain feeling I like. I can never relate or like the stupid/funny characters. I usually connect and attach to the meaner, more serious characters who know what to do and get the job done right.

And Pokemon Adventures is amazing to me, I couldn't stop reading them. I thought it was a thousand times better than the anime. It's a little bit better than the games, all but in Silver's case... Wow, they really messed Silver up in the manga...

Mileyangel
July 5th, 2010, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=Eivana;5937909][FONT="System"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="2"][B]
It's got the Masked Man in it. There is no way you can deny it any longer now. lol.

Oh, hell, he's enough reasons altogether to read the manga! Seriously, though, he's my favorite villain in the Pokemon franchise and one of my favorite villains of all time(along with some Sailor Moon villains).

Anyway, Pokespecial is my favorite part of the Pokemon world, but of course, that's just my opinion.

Ryousha
July 5th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Pokespecial is obviously better than that show they call an anime

Most of the series is top-notch, imo. Wasting 20 dollars for a volume before mangafox and all those contributors existed.

The plot is very nice, but thats also just my opinion.

RivalGator
July 6th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Oh, hell, he's enough reasons altogether to read the manga! Seriously, though, he's my favorite villain in the Pokemon franchise and one of my favorite villains of all time

Yeah, the Masked Man will do that to you. :P

But he's actually the reason I wanted to read the manga, but it turned out amazing anyway. Other than Silver. I can't stand what the guy who wrote the manga did to poor Silver... But the Masked Man made up for it, really.

Mileyangel
July 6th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Also, if you're looking for originality, you've got the right manga. Even with remakes, or even just following the regular game plot, Pokemon Adventures is VERY original.

Ryousha
July 6th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Also, if you're looking for originality, you've got the right manga. Even with remakes, or even just following the regular game plot, Pokemon Adventures is VERY original.

Until Nintendo would love to have an anime adaption :3

Vulpes bicaudata
July 6th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Seriously, though, he's my favorite villain in the Pokemon franchise and one of my favorite villains of all time
Well, I think the best villain of all time is the one in William Golding's Lord of the Flies. I don't care how cool this Masked Man is, he's nothing compared to that.

But I don't care all that much about the villains being cool or whatever. I care about the protagonists. And if a protagonist has a stupid Pokémon as his main Pokémon, then I can't like him. It's how I am.

Clover Cat
July 9th, 2010, 12:23 PM
But I don't care all that much about the villains being cool or whatever. I care about the protagonists. And if a protagonist has a stupid Pokémon as his main Pokémon, then I can't like him. It's how I am.

Define 'stupid Pokémon'. I find it hard to figure out what you're trying to specify, because that's a very opinionated phrase.

And you could also try looking at it this way - the fact that there are so many protagonists means that if you don't like one, you may like another. Each person is different and (for the most part) use different teams. It's not like there's going to be a classic 'muted hero' copy and pasted every arc.

Vulpes bicaudata
July 9th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Define 'stupid Pokémon'. I find it hard to figure out what you're trying to specify, because that's a very opinionated phrase.
My definition of "stupid Pokémon", which is admittedly very inclusive, is pretty much "any Pokémon without Fire, Electric, Psychic, and/or to a lesser extent Dragon, as one of its types." In addition, special disdain goes to Grass, Fighting, Rock, and Steel.

And you could also try looking at it this way - the fact that there are so many protagonists means that if you don't like one, you may like another. Each person is different and (for the most part) use different teams. It's not like there's going to be a classic 'muted hero' copy and pasted every arc.
From what I've read, all of them either have a stupid main Pokémon and/or a stupid personality.

Clover Cat
July 10th, 2010, 06:41 PM
My definition of "stupid Pokémon", which is admittedly very inclusive, is pretty much "any Pokémon without Fire, Electric, Psychic, and/or to a lesser extent Dragon, as one of its types." In addition, special disdain goes to Grass, Fighting, Rock, and Steel.

So you're saying that by consequence, you will not accept Pokémon of the elemental types of Water, Bug, Dark, Ice, Ground, Flying, Ghost, and Normal, unless I missed one.

From what I've read, all of them either have a stupid main Pokémon and/or a stupid personality.

Now I'm confused on what your definition of 'main Pokémon' is. If it's their 'starter', then it may be worth reconsidering the use of that word, considering that only a very few of the protagonists start their arc off with a 'starter' Pokémon. Almost all of them have a Pokémon that they lived with for years, or who they had already caught, before they gain a 'starter' Pokémon from the traditional Professor in the first place. It's more like a 'partner' then anything. At least one of them has their team slot half-filled before the 'starter' is given to them, while another already has their entire main team and ends up having to switch out one of their Pokémon to the box for the sake of the 'starter'.

If it's 'Pokémon that is most often used in battle', then that's still incorrect, because for the most part the protagonists switch out their teams and use them all equally, at least for the length of their individual arcs.

I'm also curious as to why you seem so determined to dislike a character because of the Pokémon on their team. Personality is understandable, but it's not like the types they use have to do with anything. Or did I misunderstand that?

Vulpes bicaudata
July 11th, 2010, 03:45 AM
So you're saying that by consequence, you will not accept Pokémon of the elemental types of Water, Bug, Dark, Ice, Ground, Flying, Ghost, and Normal, unless I missed one.
Well, I especially hate Grass, Fighting, Rock, and Steel, but other than that, yeah, pretty much. There are some exceptions (for example, Marill's okay), but mostly those are the rules.

Now I'm confused on what your definition of 'main Pokémon' is. If it's their 'starter', then it may be worth reconsidering the use of that word, considering that only a very few of the protagonists start their arc off with a 'starter' Pokémon. Almost all of them have a Pokémon that they lived with for years, or who they had already caught, before they gain a 'starter' Pokémon from the traditional Professor in the first place. It's more like a 'partner' then anything. At least one of them has their team slot half-filled before the 'starter' is given to them, while another already has their entire main team and ends up having to switch out one of their Pokémon to the box for the sake of the 'starter'.

If it's 'Pokémon that is most often used in battle', then that's still incorrect, because for the most part the protagonists switch out their teams and use them all equally, at least for the length of their individual arcs.

I'm also curious as to why you seem so determined to dislike a character because of the Pokémon on their team. Personality is understandable, but it's not like the types they use have to do with anything. Or did I misunderstand that?
It's the starter. I regard that as the "main Pokémon" because in the games the starter is usually my main Pokémon. The reason the starter Pokémon is so important to me is that I see it as being just as important a character as the humans.

Anyway... I've taken a look at this thing and read the first three rounds... and all I have to say is BOOOOOOOOOOOOOORIIIIIIIIIIING! I mean, no jokes, nothing. Stupid seriousness!

Clover Cat
July 13th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Anyway... I've taken a look at this thing and read the first three rounds... and all I have to say is BOOOOOOOOOOOOOORIIIIIIIIIIING! I mean, no jokes, nothing. Stupid seriousness!
Well, we tried. I would encourage you to at least finish the first arc (boring introductions are typical of any series), but it's your choice. Just don't be surprised if you find a lot of attention going to Special, that's all I shall say.

Vulpes bicaudata
July 13th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Well, I've read two more rounds... and my opinion hasn't really changed. I'll try to force myself through some more, just to get a statistically significant sample.

But hey, at least I don't have to regret missing out on it when I was younger! I guess instinct (or luck) drove me to EToP...

Plus, how many Pokémon fans can say they hate Special?

Sora
July 13th, 2010, 01:43 PM
All I'm going to say is that somethings have a slow, or "boring" beginning. As far as I know, Pokemon Special was kind of like that, it getting better when Team Rocket started coming around more in the first arc. Think it's "boring" if you want, though.

I can see why you think it's boring though, because of your pickiness of what is a non-boring "main" starter. I personally think it's quite interesting that Red started with the Grass, unlike typical main character in anything, who usually have the "dragon" or "fire" type. Or both.

Vulpes bicaudata
July 13th, 2010, 04:08 PM
All I'm going to say is that somethings have a slow, or "boring" beginning. As far as I know, Pokemon Special was kind of like that, it getting better when Team Rocket started coming around more in the first arc. Think it's "boring" if you want, though.
Well, I've now read the first seven rounds, and I still think it is very, very boring. Action doesn't entertain me as much as humor... and there's almost NO humor. And even less of my kind of humor.

I can see why you think it's boring though, because of your pickiness of what is a non-boring "main" starter. I personally think it's quite interesting that Red started with the Grass, unlike typical main character in anything, who usually have the "dragon" or "fire" type. Or both.
I'll admit that I'm picky. "Discerning" or "discriminating" sounds better though.

PunxsatownyPhil
July 16th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Well, I especially hate Grass, Fighting, Rock, and Steel, but other than that, yeah, pretty much. There are some exceptions (for example, Marill's okay), but mostly those are the rules.

Hm.
Blue starts with a Charmander, but he's not really funny so you'd hate him. Also, he has a Machamp and a Golduck and a Porygon and a Scizor so you must hate him more.
Lieutenant Surge has all electric pokemon, but he's a jerk so you'd hate him.
Sabrina has Psychic pokemon, but she's mean and not funny.
Blaine isn't really that funny so you would hate him.
Lance is awesome but probably not funny enough for you...

Gold has a Cyndaquil and is funny, but he has an Aipom and a Mantine so he can't possibly be cool...

Vulpes bicaudata
July 16th, 2010, 11:31 AM
You're acting like the absence of humor isn't a valid reason for disliking a series. If I don't like a series, what do you care why I don't like it?

System!
July 17th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Nobody's forcing you to like Special. While Special does have a lot of fans, there's going to be people who dislike it. It's like with popular anime/manga, not everyone's going to like Hetalia/Naruto/Death Note/etc.

Judging by people's reactions, I suppose it's the way you've stated your points that would set off some people.

T33nyTurtwig
August 6th, 2010, 10:23 AM
I love this thing. The one weird thing i find is that Diamond and pearl didnt finish before they started Platinum, and in platinum there was a TINY amount of chapters before the first 2 HGSS manga. ????

Roxasabridged
August 10th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Hating characters based off their Pokemon seems pretty stupid. I hate Venusaur and yet Red's my favourite character. At the very least, the characters can make any Pokemon look somewhat awesome in a battle, regardless of what I think.

Vulpes bicaudata
August 11th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Hating characters based off their Pokemon seems pretty stupid. I hate Venusaur and yet Red's my favourite character. At the very least, the characters can make any Pokemon look somewhat awesome in a battle, regardless of what I think.
I can't relate to any character that uses Pokémon I wouldn't use. But even if that wasn't a problem, I would still find Special boring. It just isn't amusing. By the same token, I also dislike Lost, 24, Heroes, Battlestar Galactica, and their ilk, so there ya go.

Venusaur♣
August 11th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Its not that serious, you should try watching it, its pretty good. :D

Vulpes bicaudata
August 11th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Which one are you talking about? 'Cause I've seen at least a little bit of every one of them, and they were all serious story arc dreck. A joke every now and then does not a comedy make. Same goes for Special.

KnilShadowLink
August 18th, 2010, 04:53 AM
If you have such a problem with PokeSpe why don't you try out the Pokemon Pocket Monsters manga?

AceDragonite
August 26th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Well the thing that doesn't make me want to read it is that apparently in Gold/Silver two of my favorite E4's Will and Karen are part of Team Rocket and in RS the male character does Contests

Mirby
August 26th, 2010, 01:14 AM
It's all well done, and there is a reason for it. Provided you'd read it.

And I think the reason Ruby does contests is quite good.

Even though he makes a Feebas cry, that jerk. >_> (see, there's humor in this too!)

PunxsatownyPhil
August 26th, 2010, 06:08 AM
Well the thing that doesn't make me want to read it is that apparently in Gold/Silver two of my favorite E4's Will and Karen are part of Team Rocket and in RS the male character does Contests

Vulpes is picky, but all things considered I think that's an even worse reason.

iLike2EatPiez
August 31st, 2010, 03:28 PM
... Well of course you're not going to like something if you think up a bunch of specific reasons to hate it before you even read a page of it. ._.

Mirby
September 3rd, 2010, 01:03 AM
Don't judge something until you've tried it. Otherwise you'll have all these preconceived notions about it that prevent you from doing so.

Would you say you hate a certain type of food without trying it first? If yes, then you're either 5 or a picky eater. If no, then props to you.

Would you not watch something because you hate an actor that's in it? If yes, then you could be missing out on their best role yet? If no, great.

Would you not listen to a song because it's a genre you hate? If yes, then branch out. You never know. If no, then awesome.

You get the idea. Just try it; you may be surprised.

shadowmoon
September 18th, 2010, 09:41 AM
im sorry to rant, but i love the manga

yes, the beginning part of rgb is serious, but it loosens up after awhile. the dppt arc is funnier, because the 2 main character act out manzais

what you said about disliking those type of pokemon doesnt make any sense. almost every trainer (except the ones that use a specific type ex. gym leaders) uses at least one of those types.

i feel your specifications are too strict.

btw. try pokemon diamond and pearl adventures. its VERY funny. but since the main character has a torterra, you will probably not like it...

CounterattackDreamer
September 27th, 2010, 05:40 PM
What's offending people is not the fact that you dislike it, but the reasons you dislike it.

Anyway, each ark is actually pretty different. RGB is pretty serious, but as another user has mentioned earlier, Diamond and Pearl ark actually cracks jokes almost constantly throughout the ark (it only really started getting serious about Volume 33). In particular, the two main characters, Diamond and Pearl, are in a Japanese comedy routine called a manzai, which means often they're making lame puns (and, in Diamond's case, getting slapped or hit in some way by the partner). Some other physical comedic examples includes the fact that Diamond is a glutton and thus always brings food (I always found that funny that he always regarded his food above everything else) and the fact that his obsession with food has lead him to make some rather funny decisions (eating the honey from a group of Combee, which resulted in him getting in huge trouble).

However... even though it has a lot of humor, the main character has a grass type.

So, as others put it, you probably will despise it.

Catch my point I made in the first sentence there?

Vulpes bicaudata
October 2nd, 2010, 01:55 PM
I can't help what I like. What Pokémon the characters use matter to me. If you don't care about it, well, that's your decision.

Manzai doesn't sound all that impressive anyway.

teddybeargun
October 22nd, 2010, 07:59 PM
Try reading The Electric Tale of Pikachu then, it's not at all serious.

I personally like Pokemon Adventures because I like the seriousness of it compared to the anime, Ash Ketchum is just too...childish for me. And also the people in Pokemon Adventures actually have good pokemon teams unlike Ash who wins by fluke haha.

Also Manzai is awesome

大輔
October 28th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Ok... firstly, why hate pokemon? It's a world of fantasy creatures and the manga usually revolves around the plot and characters. And the comedy thing, your being picky... It's obviously better than the anime in my opinion when it comes to humor and in the Diamond and Pearl manga Dia and Pearl do manzai and there are many funny parts in the previous arcs... I mean, if you don't like it, give up on it?

It's my favorite thing CREATED from pokemon because of the semi-violence adventurous pokemon world with bits of humor and seriousness combined. Maybe you don't like Red, Green, Blue, or Yellow? Try a different arc like Ruby or Sapphire or maybe Diamond and Pearl...

but it is one AWSOME manga...

To Mato and Satoshi, thanks for making the pokemon world come to life =)

Giratina ♀
November 4th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Well... this is a hard question.

By most definitions presented here, I should be all for Adventures. I like my humor both subtly and blatantly (as long as it's done well, which is not a synonym for one kind of humor or another), I like awesomeness, and I also like certain kinds of 'dark' backgrounds. I like originality, I like switching characters, I like deeper meaning into the world of Pokemon... and yet I didn't really like Pokemon Adventures. Most shoujo and romance anime make me want to run the other direction very very fast, and yet I liked Ouran High School Host Club. If you're going to go ahead and ask other people who likely don't know you at all if you're going to like a manga, and you can't be bothered to go read a couple chapters yourself... then you're kinda missing the point. And if you say that you don't want to read some long thing that won't interest you, then you will most certainly know that it doesn't interest you.

TL;DR: I don't know. Will it?

Amore
November 9th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Hmmm...one thing I must say is that, if you dislike the older Pokémon Special / Adventures, try R/S, where there's contests and a little more humour, or even better, D/P, which is hilarious in some panels (and most of the others contain jokes too :P)

Btw, M4, if you ever read this again, don't be like that. I'm surprised you haven't been booted yet.