PDA

View Full Version : Why do people hate the hoenn pokes so much?

Pages : [1] 2

GreenLanturn
June 26th, 2010, 10:34 AM
I dont get it, they always seem to be hated on, ive been playing since red and blue and the hoenn bunch seem to be the most vreative and best of all.

mortisha
June 26th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Personally I like them :P But to others, they don't like change in Pokemon, so they need to complain about it.
That's how I'm feel about certain D/P Pokemon and the Black/White pokemon

Marx_Ultra
June 26th, 2010, 10:49 AM
A lot of pokemon are missing (even the common ones), things like... Onix, Sentret, etc. A lot of these pokemon you have to rely on FR/LG to get, and the Ruby and Sapphire item make you go through more work than needed. But I have nothing against it. In fact, it is one of my faves.

Oh wait, I was talking about the region. Yeah, I agree, they're the best ones. I always love the Heonn pokes. I still play my Emerald since I love it so much. Even though people hate them, they're still my faves. Fourth gen was okay, but still doesn't beat third gen. Contains a lot of "lesser-knowns" that a lot of people don't use (Johto having the most lesser-knowns).

Thordainhammer
June 26th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I think there have just been increasing levels of hatred for the new pokemon with each generation after R/B/Y. Non of the Hoenn pokemon are outright bad like some of the D/P ones(I mean Spiritomb? Really?), its just not a great bunch.

Nikorasu
June 26th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I don't see them getting hated on...

Sinnoh pokemon are the ones that get completely owned though.

Only by people that a nostalgia freaks like me :3

Theodore Bruno
June 26th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Hoenn has arguably the best Pokemon designs so far. The reason most people hate gen 3 was because it had a terrible map.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty
June 26th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I think R/S/E are just hated in general. I don't know why. Perhaps everybody was expecting another ZOMGfest like Johto generated and the games fell short of their expectations? Or perhaps that was when the backlash began: any given fandom has a few years of being immortal when it first begins, but then there's a period where fans hate everything about them. Personally the only thing I hated about the Hoenn games was the music. I mostly play Emerald on mute...

As for the Pokémon themselves...I do think a few Hoenn Pokémon were crap, and most of them tend to be ones that show up a lot in later games so this could be why most Hoenn Pokémon get a lot of ire. The sprites weren't the best ever either: even a Pokémon as simple as Geodude looks a bit...um...special. And the Lotad family is a bit based on Mexican stereotypes, imo. Overall, the Pokémon were experimental, and a few just didn't work. But I love Hoenn, I love me my Zigzagoons and Regis, and I'm really hoping for a remake one day. *pulls a kitty face from Shrek 2*.

Amore
June 26th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Hmmm.....I think part of it may be the way the games, Emerald in particular, do drag on a bit.......although it leads to an epic finale with the legends....

....maybe it's coz after then, they spiralled completely out of control? I mean, G/S/C just asked you to catch a legendary pokemon. R/S/E had them destroying everything....but then you stop them. OTT much?

And lol, 10 new legends, compared to 7 in the last generation (one who was unobtainable).

xPsychosocial
June 26th, 2010, 03:36 PM
At the time I thought the Hoenn Pokémon had the worst designs of the series. I just felt that the designs of the Pokémon started to get a bit weird at that point. Not all of them are bad though.

XxRogueTrainerxX
June 26th, 2010, 03:41 PM
I actually enjoyed the Hoenn Pokémon. Sure, there were a few useless pieces of junk (no offense, Zigzagoon), but there were also some pretty convienient ones out there.

Numbers
June 26th, 2010, 04:48 PM
To be honest I'm not actually sure why I don't like the Hoenn Pokemon.
It's not because of change as I liked the 2nd Gen and the 4th Gen.
I liked Ralts, Gardervoir and Metagross though :)
Infact I only recently started liking Gardevoir, for some reason it's because one of my favourite Pokemon actually.
Maybe it was just the designs of the Pokemon? :S

redsaber5859
June 26th, 2010, 04:55 PM
If you think about it, the hoenn ones were awesome, for example, shiftree, aggron, swampert, grovyle, blaziken, geodudes sprite, RAYQUAZA, and a lot more

Skaterzpenguin
June 26th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Maybe in the future they"ll remake the Hoenn region and make it better and easier to get pokemon in the game and new creative ways... Then everyone will be like WOAH! lol

--I doubt they will do remakes on ruby/sapphire. Just an idea I guess lol :P

ChrisTom
June 26th, 2010, 06:09 PM
There were several things I did not like about Hoenn, but there are also several things I like ALOT about it.

Routes 119 was one of the best Route designs of all time. It was simply and EPIC WIN. Route 120 was very good as well, and I enjoyed how it was divided into "Segments". Route 111 was good as well and grandly gave the feeling of a wide open desert and scrubland.

Now I did NOT like the sprites or the colors. The colors were way too bright, and I think it would've been nicer if they went with some relaxing pastels. Trees should look greyish green, not like leafy gummy bears.

The tilesets were incredible though.

The music was also very good. Particularly the theme for the Route 111 desert. It sounded very arabian and was my favorite Gen III song.

Now I acturally liked the wide open water routes. This gave a slightly more chaotic feel to the ocean, which is good, because anybody who has been at sea knows it isn't 2 straight lines of rocks.

But my last complaint is that it was very hard to grind and level up your Pokemon. You couldn't really get a good team until the very end of the game.

Eternal Nightmare
June 26th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I love the hoenn region. It is by far my favorite region out of the other 4 but let's see if Isshu changes that xD. Hoenn introduced a lot of pokemon that are now my favorite e.g Blaziken, Ralts and evos, Milotic, Bagon and evos, Groudon, and plenty more.

Aggron1991
June 26th, 2010, 07:52 PM
It's not so much the Hoenn Pokemon I hated (although I did hate a good many of them, such as Roselia, Trapinch, Treecko and Spinda). It was more the general amount of fail that was Ruby and Sapphire.

I hated the contests, I hated the way people talked, I hated the music (with the exception of Rte. 120/121 and Meteor Falls...EPIC), I hated the fact that they excluded 186 other Pokemon (including most of my all time favorites), I hated the new fishing system, I hated the secret bases (they were the feature I was most excited about, but turned out to be the biggest disappointment), I hated that you couldn't get Pokemon at the Game Corner (only dolls), the list goes on and on

That being said, some of my all time favorite Pokemon came out of RSE, including Aggron, Swampert, Salamence, Metagross, Wailord, Kyogre, Dusclops, Sharpedo... they still got nothing on the first 251 though.

Ninja Caterpie
June 26th, 2010, 10:58 PM
To different levels, everyone hates the game after their favourite.

Ruin Maniac
June 27th, 2010, 07:01 AM
i tihkn people hate the third generation the most because it's the generation that has the most change in it.

There are almost 200 old school pokemon that've been excluded from R/B/Y/G/S/C, there were the secret bases that were a massive let down, not to mention a few other things.

On the other hand, there were plenty of good changes and ideas.

Team Magma and Aqua were a refreshing change from the old Team Rocket.

There were the introduction of natures, which completely revolutionized competitive battling.

I believe Ruby and Saphire were a bit of a let down, but Emerald picked the third gen back up

Blueknight
June 27th, 2010, 08:09 AM
I liked the 3rd gen. You had the cool landscapes, the diving feature, and some cool Pokemon. I especially liked Kyogre, Milotic, blaziken, Sceptile, salamence, and more.

I've only played emerald, and I thought it was a fun game. I really liked the battle frontier (Battle Dome ftw) It is also the hardest pokemon game I've played.

There were a few things I didn't like. One was that the trees look wierd, and the male trainer has white hair.

Ruin Maniac
June 27th, 2010, 08:39 AM
You had the cool landscapes, the diving feature, and some cool Pokemon

the diving feature for me was probably one of the worst features going. Why dive for pokemon when you can just fish???

redsaber5859
June 27th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Dive was awesome, I hope they bring it back

CANT WAIT FOR RS REMAKES!!!!!!!

skyluigi2
June 27th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I dont understand why people dont like R/S/E.
I mean, just because some of the pokemon and the way you get them? seriously.
R/S/E featured some of the best additions! I loved HM dive, and the secret base was an awesome idea.
Possibly the reason many hated them was because, unlike G/S/C, even though it had a few, it had no way near as many real-time related activites, and it was sort of a step backwards, not forwards.
I disagree, though and hoenn is one of my fave regions! :D

TrilbyMenetti
June 27th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I personally don't like the Hoenn Pokemon (not hate) in the same way I love the Kanto and Johto Pokemon, because some of the Hoenn Pokemon are bland rip-offs of certain previous Pokemon (Beautifly for example) and they're not as likeable overall like their predecessors.

That being said, I still love some of them, but their hit rate in terms of likeability and design compared to Kanto and Johto was pretty slim.

To be honest, I had a problem with the games really. R/S/E pretty much abandoned all the Pokemon I had grown to love over R/B/Y and G/S/C and tried to create its own identity ignoring the original games and I think it suffered down to that (I opened up to it more when FR/LG was released) and the plot itself wasn't as enjoyable as R/B/Y or G/S/C, at least for me. It really was a step backwards, dropping Team Rocket, the great time feature of G/S/C and that it wasn't a true sequel (or prequel). I've warmed up to it since, but at the time it didn't feel right.

And it also introduced Natures, which made trying to get your teams rated near impossible since certain people (this was on Serebii really) were like "UR DOIN IT WONG!" Controversial point I made there I know. :D

chickenofunity
June 27th, 2010, 11:21 AM
My favourite and least favourite pokemon are all in Hoenn. Actually I lie, there are a few worse ones in Sinnoh. I just really like the Hoenn region, I actually liked the secret bases, and for me the only fault was how difficult it was to get a really good team, like levels wise, at the end. I hated trying to level up my Shelgon into a Salamance, it took forever. Although that is probably caused in part by my lack of patience, but yeah. Overall it was a cool region.
If they do an R/S remake, I'll buy it. It was cool.

tnguye3
June 27th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I played Blue, Red, Silver, Gold, Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire...And personally I think that the R/S/E Pokemon look really Good (especially Groudon...Dang, I just love the design). R/S/E are prolly my faves.

Gregora
June 27th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I've played at least one game from each generation and my hate towards R/S/E stems not from the pokemon designs, the region design, or any of the improvements. What incurs my hate are simple things.

First of all, it had a lot of hype due to the second gen which had earned all the hype with plenty of twists and turns the first time you play it. I rushed blindly into Ruby, expecting a big fake-out like the part where 2nd gen went "you beat the elite four, now you get to explore a second region!" and I was left with a tower that I never visited. At all. I was expecting a huge finale that would bring more to the post game other than "you just saved the region and you're now the Champion. Good job." In all, I was left unfulfilled.

The second thing is that they (understandable from a technological standpoint) cut out any hope of ever using the pokemon you had spent years training through two generations of games. I was a bit put-out about that.

But the biggest thing that made me hate it was the sorry excuse for a rival. I got into Pokemon to mop the floor with rivals such as Blue/Green and Silver. They made me want to work harder to beat them and I felt satisfaction when I made them scream in agony after a battle. Then I find the R/S/E rival, whose name I've forgotten cause that's how much I found him to be lackluster. Instead of making me feel just primal satisfaction towards torturing his pokemon, the game made me feel guilty for even using my best pokemon against him. I've never felt guilty for beating the rival before. That and it was creepy how the rival was stalking you... *shivers out of fear*

Go ahead and call me nostalgic, but I don't care because I also accept each gen for the good, the bad, the ugly, and all the upgrades that they bring to the next generation. I just hope that the next generation does not have these things which annoys me since two of these three are why I've barely touched my Platinum game since I bought HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Amore
June 27th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Hmmm....I do dislike May's pathetic weakness. And how you only battle her 5 times....and she still doesn't get a Blaziken/Sceptile/Swampert. That's pathetic. I think the next Gen. got it right. You have Dawn, who's pathetic.....but then you also get your crazy rival who does a cool and over-exuberant dance, and whose pokemon actually end up stronger than G/S/C Red's pokemon!

FreakyLocz14
June 27th, 2010, 08:01 PM
The Hoenn Pokemon are great. The most uncreative Pokemon are numbers 387 to 493 in the Pokedex. Sinnoh was just spammed with too many legendaries, and strange looking evos and pre-evos of past Pokemon. And Starly and Bidoof, seriously? After Hoot-Hoot/Sentret and Taillow/Zigzagoon, how many incarnations of Pidgey and Rattata do we need?

The only complaint I have about 3rd Gen is Brendan's weak Pokemon and lack of a fully evolved starter. I'd like to see that changed if these games are to be remade.

Owl
June 29th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Some people don't like it because there are a lot of Kanto & Johto Pokemon missing from that game and that there are new Pokemon that they don't like.

Forever
June 29th, 2010, 06:27 AM
By far, I think I've played Hoenn games the most out of all. I've manged to get 3 level 100 starters from it within the last 8 or so months, and by having both Ruby and Sapphire, I've reset many times. Why? I don't know. They're the least addictive of all the games. (Then again, I've had Pearl since 2008 and haven't felt the need to reset it, same goes for LeafGreen, which means both are more boring.) Johto and Kanto games however, have been reset, just not to the extent of R/S. I really have had no reason to play them over and over.

Overall, I hate the games. They just seem depressing and too natural for me. Reasons why? The route before Fortree was SO DAMN LONG, rained most of the time...yeah. I don't know, something about the appearance of the games just made me feel down when playing them.

The music seemed too different from Johto/Kanto's - which interested me as a child. That was the music I grew up with, although not exactly when I was a young kid, but it was an important part of my childhood. It captured the childhood innocence I had which I've now long lost. Many of the things I can remember as a child... well, Gold was apart of it. I mean, I've even had pictures taken of me playing Gold. The most stand out moment was when I finally reached the top of the Tin Tower in Gold, facing Ho-Oh, (sadly that excitement has been lost in HG, but this isn't supposed to be about why HG cannot compare to Gold for me.) However, on that point, I don't have any memories of playing R/S. At that time I'd assume I was in my late childhood to early teen years. People didn't care about Pokemon anymore. I didn't. The spark I had from Gold/Crystal, and even R/B/Y just was gone.

On a positive note for R/S, most of the Pokemon I consider to be apart of gen 1/2, due to Sinnoh's terrible Pokemon. I mean, even Torchic, one of the Hoenn starters is my favourite Pokemon overall. Sadly it didn't come from Johto - but either way, due to some of my favourites (Azurill being the second favourite from Hoenn), I don't hate Hoenn as much as I'd hate Sinnoh. Also, positive of Hoenn - Bellossom was included...but it still didn't have the spark Johto had with its Pokemon.

I would compare Hoenn to Sinnoh but I just dislike it too much to make many valid points.

Overall though, Hoenn was nice...just didn't exactly appeal to me. Though some of the Pokemon were amazing. <3

c3rad
June 30th, 2010, 10:47 AM
In my experience, R/S got overshadowed by FR/LG

I picked up R/S at the end of 4th grade, a time when my classmates often made fun of my friends and me for playing pokemon, so I just sort of lost interest. Not to mention that FR/LG came out just a little while after.

Being that Red version remains to this day my favorite, the remakes of the old classics seemed to gather most of my attention.

Don't get me wrong, I love some of R/S's pokemon. Sceptile, Manetric, Breloom, Aggron, Flygon, Exploud etc.

Kendosis
June 30th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I like Hoenn actually, I hate Sinnoh pokemon :(

TwinkleClefable
June 30th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I love Hoenn pokemon, it brings a new taste to the pokemon world and new characters. I mean we like..get...10 or more new legendaries,and awesome pokemon: Mawile is just pure win, so is Gardevoir.

I don't really know why some people hate Hoenn. But i guess everybody just hates a certain Pokemon generation. The only reason for people to hate Hoenn is the Anime, no more misty, ash voice change etc. But that isn't the Pokemon.

I have no concern about the Pokemon whatsoever, and i just think the Pokemon are amazing, like all Pokemon are.

fcpremixer
June 30th, 2010, 08:33 PM
i actually like most of the hoenn pokes, mostly the starters :) like TwinkleClefable said, (in my words) people can hate or like certain poke gens or regions... its just personal pref i guess but i like them all :DDDDDDDDDD

Nikorasu
June 30th, 2010, 09:47 PM
More people don't like sinnoh region, (don't troll me >.<) but Hoenn is really good i enjoyed that alot of time was spent surfing :3

NickofTime
July 1st, 2010, 11:04 AM
Here is why hoenn sucks a ton
1. may was your rival, you know the character with the most fanservice in the anime. she was more concerned with her outfit than making a team.
2. Contests nuff' said
3. the morbidly obese legendary pokemon Groudon You fatty.
4. Team aqua and magma were quite possibly the worst evil teams in the franchise. Hell the thinly vieled global warming message just kinda pissed me off. Al gore could have been their leader
5. Your main character was either a a) old midget b) an albino. (may sucked no one i know chose her)
6.gaylow (taillow) was in that generation.
7. You weren't even given the masterball, you found it on the ground. imagine the coversation
Grunt 1: Dude did you hear? a ten year old is beating our team.
Grunt 2: Hey you still got the masterball?
Grunt 1: Hehe you said ball, nah i left it in this easily accessible place
Grunt2: so its safe?
Grunt 1: yeah guess what else is easily accessible? YOUR MOM
Grunt 1&2: hehehehehehe
^^^^^^ happened liek that
8. Dive was a horrible concept.
9. You had to READ brail, someone needs to tell Gamefreak how brail works; CAUSE THEY DOIN' IT WRONG
10. I haet teh mudkipz

there i gave you 10 reasons to hate hoenn

Lickitricky
July 1st, 2010, 11:19 AM
Hoenn Pokemon are actually mostly my favorite ones, and I've been playing Pokemon since RBY. I love how they had a more 'modern' look to them in a sort of way (try to see what I mean by looking at Manetric or Tropius or something). I also love the 'ancient design' theme on Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza. It's true that Hoenn Pokemon can tend to be weak or pointless, but I love their design and theme.

Personally, I agree that some of the Sinnoh Pokemon are a little ridiculous: I don't really blame GameFreak though: after a certain amount of time, people start running out on ideas. But I mostly like the Sinnoh and Black and White ones, to be honest: the only thing I really hate is the Sinnoh/B&W's legendaries looking like new modern Yu Gi Oh stuff, instead of simple designs like before.

Anyway, RSE was probably my favorite region: I adore Milotic and Tropius, I adore making secret bases (the Sinnoh ones kind of suck), and I really miss using Dive. I'm really looking forward to a Hoenn remake :)

Resultz
July 1st, 2010, 11:39 AM
Im not going to regurgitate easons people have aleady said, although i agree with most.
A few of mine..
-Dive, Sure AND waterfall.. hinting at a water team there gamefreak?
-Mauville city bored the HECK out of me.
-Steven is the easiest champion in the franchise.

Hoenn suprisingly is my favourite region, it was the first game i properly played. I remember the hype and the TV adverts in the UK i was unbelieveably excited going to the shop to buy it.
-Most of my favourite pokemon (Lunatone, Zangoose, Flygon,Sharpedo) are from hoenn(darn you version exclusives.)

NickofTime
July 1st, 2010, 11:49 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/86/ProfessorBirch.png
Yeah Hello proffessor clueless pedophile beard hows it going?
he got pwned by a poocheyena

Pika-'n'-Piesuke
July 2nd, 2010, 12:49 PM
I don't see why people say Pokemon designs are getting worse. Each and every generation has their flaws when it comes to design: Generation one actually had some of the worst, in my opinion.

- Drowzee: Looks plain strange.
- Magneton: Three of it's evolved form stuck together. Real creative.
- Dodrio: ... Same words from Mangeton.
- Weezing: Two Koffing stuck together.

Hibernator
July 2nd, 2010, 12:52 PM
if you ask me i enjoy all gens but for some reason i like 3rd gens more than 4th O.o

myrrhman
July 6th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Fourth Gen is way worse than Third Gen, but third gen still has some notably bad Pokemon in it. Like Wynaut. Come on, his name is Why not and he's holding his arms like he's shrugging. Seriously? Another one that got me was Nosepass. He's a magnet, ok. That's stupid. On top of that, he looks retarded. He has a big red nose. His evolution is so much more retarded, but Nosepass is pretty bad.

I guess I don't like third generation because there aren't as many epic Pokemon like the originals had, coupled with way more stupid Pokemon.

Kirbychu
July 6th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Not if you were cool and chose Sceptile.

Blaziquaza
July 6th, 2010, 06:23 PM

Actually, it's Lance. Hey, he may use Dragon types but Feraligatr+ Ice Punch/Fang= EPIC WIN.

Elite Four Jake
July 8th, 2010, 09:44 AM
lol nobody here has fought for the point that third gen poke's sucked...........so heres my opinion.
THIRD GEN RULLLLLLLLLLLLESSSS!!!!

c'mon i mean, you got stuff like :breloom, blaziken, sableye, barboach, gardevoir, shiftry, shedinja, delcatty, aggron, METAGROSSSSSSS, medicham, manectric, wailord, camerupt, torkoal, flygon, altaria, zangoose, hariyama and salamence.

i disagree with anyone who says thaty ANY pokemon is useless. there are strong pokemon and there are untrained pokemon.......point: any pokemon is "useless" when it is untrained, only after grindan can a pokemon unlock its potential....proof is in zigzagoon......IT EVOLVES TO LINOONE!!!! AWESOME.

JAKE OUT.

yaminokaitou
July 8th, 2010, 10:06 AM
I skipped out on R/S/E for two major reasons.

1. I hated the character designs.
2. I liked maybe three of the new pokemon designs. And two out of three were legendaries.

I just really didn't think it was worth the cash when I really didn't like any of the pokemon.

Zeta Patchouli
July 8th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Okay, Hoenn is my second favorite behind Sinnoh, but I have to take care of something. I love the pokemon designs, and while it was a bit too easy, I had some fun with it.

1. may was your rival, you know the character with the most fanservice in the anime. she was more concerned with her outfit than making a team.
2. Contests nuff' said
3. the morbidly obese legendary pokemon Groudon You fatty.
4. Team aqua and magma were quite possibly the worst evil teams in the franchise. Hell the thinly vieled global warming message just kinda pissed me off. Al gore could have been their leader
5. Your main character was either a a) old midget b) an albino. (may sucked no one i know chose her)
6.gaylow (taillow) was in that generation.
7. You weren't even given the masterball, you found it on the ground. imagine the coversation
Grunt 1: Dude did you hear? a ten year old is beating our team.
Grunt 2: Hey you still got the masterball?
Grunt 1: Hehe you said ball, nah i left it in this easily accessible place
Grunt2: so its safe?
Grunt 1: yeah guess what else is easily accessible? YOUR MOM
Grunt 1&2: hehehehehehe
^^^^^^ happened liek that
8. Dive was a horrible concept.
9. You had to READ brail, someone needs to tell Gamefreak how brail works; CAUSE THEY DOIN' IT WRONG
10. I haet teh mudkipz

1. Anime =/= Game. You can't treat the characters of the game the way you do with the anime. They have two different personalities, you know. The only thing that is the same is really their appearance.

2. Your own opinion. Other people like the contests in Hoenn. I don't, but I at least recognize that fact.

3. Your own opinion. Groudon was there, but it has its fans. It's currently my third favorite pokemon, and I like the fact that it was there.

4. You have a point here, but that message didn't piss me off. I didn't care about that message, really. I have even ignored the message before and it was good.

5. Old midget? You mean May? Nice insult, man. And Brendan being an albino? Don't say that to the manga readers, else they will argue all day against you that it is, indeed, a hat. I like the two designs a lot myself.

6. Your opinion once again, there are a lot of people who like Tailow/Swellow. About half of these seem to be subjective, but you portray them to be objective. You can't do that in this fandom, else you will be flamed. While I'm on that topic, I eagerly await yours.

7. They didn't really need the Master Ball, and it was a way to put it in the game. Yes, Birch could have given it to you, but that'd be reusing another event, and that wouldn't be cool.

8. Your own opinion. I love Dive, personally. They could have done a lot more with it, though.

9. So? Who cares if you had to read braille? There is something called Visual Braille, you know that, right? It's another form of the alphabet, and if they wanted to put it in, then they can.

10. Your own opinion, Mudkip is my favorite of the three. In fact, literally half of the points are subjective only to you. Sure, there may be people who feel the same, but you seem to be saying it as if everyone thought that. No. I don't think that, and there are a lot of people who don't think that.

I admit, there are likely people out there who think exactly the same as you, and would despise what I like about the generation, but to each his own. Don't try to make it seem like everyone hates those 10 things, because that's what I got out of your posts. Yes, some of my stuff is subjective, too, but at least I'm not trying to pass it off as facts.

flight
July 8th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Apparently Hoenn had the lamest criminal organization, even though I disagree wholeheartedly with this. Sure, controlling the weather may not be big on your list, but when it comes to a criminal organization attempting to use those means to change the world, then yeah, that's really something, honestly. It could change the way of life as we very well know it. As we all know, if that falls in the wrong hands, then we've got ourselves a pretty big problem.

As for the Hoenn Pokemon, I don't really see anything wrong with them. The starters are really well designed as well as their final evolutions, and everything else seems pretty fine to me. I dunno, maybe Hoenn is apparently uninteresting to go through for some reason? o_o; For me I don't pay much attention, I just go through with it.

AceDragonite
July 8th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Allow me to explain:

The first two regions were natural, and urban at the same time, hoenn is a freaking rainforest volcano land.
We had two rivals that were flat as stone and weak as magikarp
Pokemon like Nosepass, Ludicolo, and Masquerain
No bonus content after you beat the game.
TERRRRRRRRRIBBBBBBLE PLOT

loliwin
July 8th, 2010, 06:39 PM
lol
Nostalgic people are so used to the classics, when they see different designs, you know, craziness. XD

ase
July 8th, 2010, 06:49 PM
lol
Nostalgic people are so used to the classics, when they see different designs, you know, craziness. XD
that is SOOOOO FREAKIN TRUE the old pokemon fans flame almost anything that is new

Sagiri
July 9th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Personally, I always felt like RSE were the best games in the series. I never understood why people hated the Pokemon there so much.

Yeah, Beautifly is a butterfly, like Butterfree. But they're based on two different kinds of butterflies. Even if they weren't, so what? A butterfly works as a Pokemon in the beginning of the game. Since Butterfree was excluded, they needed something to fill its niche. Besides, aren't you all complaining that Kanto and Johto had great Pokemon? If they're so great, why do you hate similar Pokemon?

Zenith95s
July 9th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Simple!
They look funky-skunky!

Sceptile0111
July 11th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Most likely the main reason the RSE pokemon got so much flak was the same reason that I initially HATED RS when I first started playing Sapphire. It didn't feel like a true sequel at all, and rather a complete restart: most of the Pokemon were excluded from the 'dex, the National Dex didn't exist at the time, no one in-game EVER mentions Kanto or Johto whatsoever, and personally, I started worrying that they had just decided to 'erase' the missing Pokemon from the franchise. FRLG and Colosseum eased my worries, though...

But yeah. Now that the National Dex and the various remakes and such have arrived, Hoenn doesn't seem so bad now. Although Lunatone and Solrock still are kind of "WTF?" pokemon in my opinion. XD

CakeForTheSoul
July 11th, 2010, 06:13 PM
It honestly was just stupid. There was so much space that it was a pain to even get anywhere. I mean sure that means more room to run around and do things. But is it really worth it? I mean for the first quarter of the game you have to stomach a Old Man and his random side quest to find a Wingull. Then you have to ride around in his boat which takes like 3 minutes of game time to watch where the boat takes you.

After all that its just rediulous. But then again FireRed and LeafGreen did the same thing where 89% throught the game and after all the crap you've done. All Badges and beat the Elite 4. You get to a steal door which you have to get into and the only way to get in is to use...wait for it.....CUT!. I mean who is that far into the game and still carry around a pokemon that has cut. I mean come on. This is why I hope that Black and White do something where if you get offered to join the villian group you can say yes.Or actions during the game affect what happens in your story.

Slowking Bro
July 17th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Many people hated the 3rd Generation Pokemon because they felt they were over-designed. I personally love them and the Generation in whole. In fact, Sapphire is my favorite game in the series, as well as the first main series Pokemon game I got.

RioKura
July 18th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I don't know anyone who doesn't like 90% of the Hoenn Pokemon.. I do, however, know a lot of people who can't stand 90% of the 4th gens.

MiniM00se
July 18th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Third gen is my favorite. I like their Pokemon. 14/18 of my favorite Pokemon were introduced in Gen 3.

I think people hate 4th gen Pokemon more...

Oathkeeper(:
July 18th, 2010, 10:02 PM
I actually really liked the 3rd Gen Pokemon...it's this new generation I'm not so crazy about...

Mew~
July 19th, 2010, 03:44 AM
The 3rd gen was my favourite generation including the pokemon!
People hate em people they are afraid of change :\

N!ck
July 20th, 2010, 04:28 AM
I used to hate it because there was too many Pokemon and such. Now I pretty much like it and DP a bit, but I hate the Isshu Pokemon now :/

Ctrl.Alt.Geak
July 20th, 2010, 11:01 PM
There are probably a lot of people who will hate me for saying this but RSE are my personal favourites. In my opinion:
1. It gave us some great pokemon. While playing gen IV games I carry mostly RSE Pokemon with me than any others.
2. The gym leaders and a few other helpful NPCs had more personality than ones previous games and for me, having interesting characters is important in video games.
3. There were some pretty cool new features. I personally liked the Dive HM, being able to explore underwater and such, the 2 bikes were pretty cool and I loved the contests.

My only real dissappointment was that there wasnt too much to do after you defeat the elite 4 unlike Gen II and IV.

BigBlastoise
July 20th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Personally, I always felt like RSE were the best games in the series. I never understood why people hated the Pokemon there so much.

Yeah, Beautifly is a butterfly, like Butterfree. But they're based on two different kinds of butterflies. Even if they weren't, so what? A butterfly works as a Pokemon in the beginning of the game. Since Butterfree was excluded, they needed something to fill its niche. Besides, aren't you all complaining that Kanto and Johto had great Pokemon? If they're so great, why do you hate similar Pokemon?

I would like to say my little piece in here. First of all, have you even played the original G/S/C? Those games were far superior to R/S/E.

Second of all, the reason most Pokemon fans dislike the third generation was that the changes came too rapidly. They completely forgot about a main character, nearly kicked Brock off for the second time, and the newer Pokemon were okay. It isn't the fact that the people hate the new Pokemon, it is the fact that they hate the concepts and the stories. I am an old Pokemon fan at heart. I watch the new episodes on Youtube and on T.V, but it never gives me that nice feeling in my heart like the older ones do. And by golly, I bet a lot of Pokemon fans feel the same way that I do.

biancafanboy
July 20th, 2010, 11:43 PM
I dont hate any of the pokemon from hoen:)

Cilerba
July 21st, 2010, 04:02 AM
I find that many people who play R/S/E are disappointed in the graphics, and the storyline that they didn't pay too much attention to the Pokémon the region has.

And, like BigBlastoise said, the changes came too fast and they really didn't put much effort into the storyline, the graphics, and really the entire game itself.

Ctrl.Alt.Geak
July 21st, 2010, 11:15 PM
I would like to say my little piece in here. First of all, have you even played the original H/S/C? Those games were far superior to R/S/E.

Second of all, the reason most Pokemon fans dislike the third generation was that the changes came too rapidly. They completely forgot about a main character, nearly kicked Brock off for the second time, and the newer Pokemon were okay. It isn't the fact that the people hate the new Pokemon, it is the fact that they hate the concepts and the stories. I am an old Pokemon fan at heart. I watch the new episodes on Youtube and on T.V, but it never gives me that nice feeling in my heart like the older ones do. And by golly, I bet a lot of Pokemon fans feel the same way that I do.

I find your opening question to be exceedingly condescending and feel quite offended by it. I have been playing Pokemon since the beginning when the original Red and Blue came out in my country. I have played every official (that is non-pirated) Pokemon game since then. I also have seen and own the anime series and read the manga (but this discussion is not about that so I'm not even going to talk about that). Its not like I'm some young kid who first played Pokemon when the advanced generation surfaced. I know what I'm talking about and all I was doing was saying why I liked RSE more than the rest of the games. I think its fine that you disagree with me but I find you certainly chose the wrong way to get your point across.

BigBlastoise
July 21st, 2010, 11:59 PM
I find your opening question to be exceedingly condescending and feel quite offended by it. I have been playing Pokemon since the beginning when the original Red and Blue came out in my country. I have played every official (that is non-pirated) Pokemon game since then. I also have seen and own the anime series and read the manga (but this discussion is not about that so I'm not even going to talk about that). Its not like I'm some young kid who first played Pokemon when the advanced generation surfaced. I know what I'm talking about and all I was doing was saying why I liked RSE more than the rest of the games. I think its fine that you disagree with me but I find you certainly chose the wrong way to get your point across.

I like how you didn't flame even though I provoked you. Nice, nice, nice self-control. So, you played the original games huh? Can you explain to me what you think is better about Pokemon R/S/E than the previous, most popular, versions?

Ctrl.Alt.Geak
July 22nd, 2010, 07:08 AM
I like how you didn't flame even though I provoked you. Nice, nice, nice self-control. So, you played the original games huh? Can you explain to me what you think is better about Pokemon R/S/E than the previous, most popular, versions?

Why flame? Its immature and gets you nowhere, I dont usually bother with forums because there are a lot of people that go out of their way to upset others for their own enjoyment. Anyway I can answer your question in 2 words, "Personal taste". Thats all there is to it. I think the first 2 sets of games are fantastic, they hold (as dramatic as it sounds) a place in my heart that only the Mother series could match, but I just got more enjoyment out of playing R/S/E for the reasons I stated in my original post. I guess I've always been very strange, liking the less-popular choices and all.

Gooseberrysoda
July 22nd, 2010, 01:00 PM
I really only like under gen 3... I dunno about you, but it seems to me that they just got lazy after that.

LadySurreal
July 23rd, 2010, 10:07 PM
I actually think GenIII was has the best design, and I still play Emerald (Currently playing it again after migrating every pokemon except a wumble to Platinum)

shanecdavis
July 26th, 2010, 12:09 PM
As someone that has played every Pokemon game to date, and who hasn't watched the cartoon since the first year my sons got into it, I think that Emerald is still the best overall Pokemon game ever made, and what I have seen so far from BW I don't see my opinion changing at this time next year.

EVERY region has its good and bad points. EVERY region has bad Pokemon concepts. EVERY region has points in the story that make you scratch your head. From a conceptual perspective, nothing beats RBY. It laid the foundation of the property and while other games have built upon the original concepts it would take something major for a game to beat what RBY gave us. From a storyline concept, nothing comes close to GSC, and that is even including the halfassed Kanto addition that wasn't even improved upon in HGSS, which was highly disappointing and basically proved how GF has lost touch with the property. For functionality, nothing beats DPP with its Wi-Fi feature allowing someone in the US to battle against someone in Japan.

Now while RSE isn't the best at any of the aforementioned aspects, its drawbacks are also less than the drawbacks of the other games too. RBY had limited functionality (although FRLG did alleviate that somewhat), GSC really had bad conceptual designs (even though RSE tends to get a bad rap), and DPP has by far the worst storyline and even worse designs than GSC. RSE didn't have the best designs, but they certainly were innovative and provided the property with three really good starter Pokemon, along with some excellent typings. I was also quite disappointed when I found that RSE moved away from the Day/Night feature in GSC instead of expounding on it. That said, it provided us with a much better breeding and stat system, not to mention the terrific addition of natures, and the revamping of the Effort Values and held items. The storyline could have been better thought out, but the addition of Secret Bases and the Battle Frontier more than made up for it. If you didn't like Secret Bases, then you probably didn't realize the true potential of it as it pertains to breeding and competitive battling. It is by far one of the greatest additions ever to the property. I have set up over 20 different Secret Bases on my Emerald version that are filled with Pokemon that help me max out EV stats on a Pokemon in minutes rather than hours. Then the Battle Frontier AI is actually challenging when compared to the pathetically weak in-game AI. Lastly, while it doesn't have the true Wi-Fi capability that DPP has, in Emerald the addition of the wireless connector was a BIG step in that direction. Being able to trade and battle without being tied to a 3-foot tether was a great improvement.

Personally, there are A LOT more people I know that dislike the Sinnoh region Pokemon than the Hoenn region Pokemon, with myself included. I didn't like going from 7 to 10 Legendaries in Hoenn, but then you have Sinnoh that went to FOURTEEN! How many can we expect in BW? 18? 20? 30???? Still, when you compare Hoenn Pokemon to other regions, they really do hold up rather nicely and there are only a few what I would consider bad concepts.

DarkVhozon
July 27th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Personally I feel the way most people who hate R/S/E about gen 4 and 5(Meaning I like Emerald). Pokemon in gen 3 was still a bit fresh and unique in Hoenn. Actually most of my fovrite pokemon were first seen in Hoenn like Absol and Gardevoir. I've heard people hated it beacuse they couldnt trade their pokemon from gen's one and two to gen 3.

Edit: and yes Shanecdavis, Emerald is the best pokemon game ever made. The only thing I would change is that they need to make the E4 and regular trainers stronger, but it still owns and this error will be most likeley fixed in the remake if they make one. Seriously R/S/E is what got me to at least give Grass pokemon a chance with Sceptile and the other great Starters(lol and I dont own any other Grass Pokemon lol)

Hospikmavery
July 27th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Some are better, some are worse
Right now (Without B/W) there are 493 things out there
People should see them as one big community which grows with every new generation..
That rather then putting them in some sort of version related category..

Nothing compares with the 151 they created 10 years ago, rest are just add-ons

orange discontent
July 27th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Being on the at-the-time new GBA, I felt that some of the only improvements were the graphics. For one thing, RSE was pretty ugly. The overworld and map sprites, I mean, not just the Pokemon. FRLG looked good, but RSE? Ewwwww.

I also hated Dive. There was nothing much to explore after you found Sootopolis and completed the main storyline. Catch a Relicanth? It's just going to go right to my PC. I did like the erratic currents on the water routes, though. The map, overall, was just out there. You had to actually switch bikes at the shop to go up those hills? A desert in the smack dab of forest and trees?

To be honest, a desert surrounded by mountains in the smack dab middle of forest and trees isn't as bad as a palm tree infested tropical island to the northeast of a cold (enough for the PCs to get appropriate wardrobe upgrades in Platinum) region. WTH, Gamefreak?

RSE didn't even have a day and night system. It was jarring, to say the least. In some ways, RSE was a huge leap forward. In other ways, a massive step back.

The storyline with Team Aqua/Magma/Emerald (never played Emerald, don't shoot) was okay, but since they're only Pokemon game it's not like I'm going to expect anything mind blowing and earth shattering, anyway.

Now, the designs of the Pokemon themselves? I admit I never did warm up to them. I think I just got older.

It really just might be nostalgia. I mean, whenever I see someone say that RSE is their favorite generation, I automatically assume they're younger than me, which is never a good habit. I rather liked Gen 4's innovation and now I'm looking forward to Gen 5, but Gen 3? It was rather bland. Nothing was fantasically memorable, or if it was it wasn't even used to its full potential (SPACESHIP AT MOSSDEEP). Half of the pokemon I can't remember at all without looking it up, but of course the same goes for 4th gen with me. Hell, I can barely remember any Pokemon after most of Gen 2.

okjoek
July 28th, 2010, 05:49 PM
I dont, i love em especialy gardevoir cuz its so cute / beutifull.

It just needs some more variation on the water routes instead of tentacool/wingull and the ocasional peliper.

Biggee30
July 28th, 2010, 11:54 PM
I don't get it either, The Hoenn Pokemon are easily my favorites (by count of how many of the pokemon I think are worth training), so I just don't see why everybody else seems to hate on the RSE series. I've been playing Pokemon since Blue and Red came out, but I'm open to change, hence why RSE is my favorite of the series.

Walrein = Win

DarkVhozon
July 29th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I started playing at Yellow version and never played the metal games. But I agree I pretty much rate a game on the number of trainable pokemon it has or were added. Maybe its just me but Gen 4 had a ****load of pokemon that had ****ty movepools and one stat that was good and the rest trash.
Or maybe I just like Hoenn pokemon i.e. Gardevoir, Absol, Flygon, Sceptile(lol the only Grass type I own), Salamence, need I go on?
But I admit there was some things it lacked like the graphics did leave a little to be desired and some of the pokemon sprites were hideous. But I still love it all the same.

Symbiosis
July 29th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I just didn't like the way they came out.Sinnoh was way better i felt then hoeen

okjoek
July 29th, 2010, 03:43 PM
one thing i also think is that the amount of older generation pokemon is much more than the newer, not to say there arent newer ones to find. but when tentacool is 50% of what your going to find in water it doesnt give much variation.

Aquacorde
August 13th, 2010, 09:30 PM
I think I liked Hoenn better than alot of people because I started playing Pokémon from Emerald onward despite being a fan for many years (my parents weren't video game fans. I had to buy my own systems and games). Therefore I wasn't disappointed (besides criticizing some of the weirder looking Pokés: Solrock, Lunatone, Whismur family, etc) since I had no other game to compare it to. Honestly, I enjoyed it more than I have Pearl and Platinum, though Heart Gold has become my favorite. It sucked that I could never complete the 'dex, but overall I was pleased.

Impo
August 15th, 2010, 01:37 AM
i loved heonn :P
mudkipz, salamence, flygon and metagross?
awesomes :D

Livewire
August 16th, 2010, 12:26 AM
How anybody can hate the generation that gave us Mudkipz is appalling

But Seriously, i dont get it. Hoenn was a great region, with great pokemon (Salamence, Metagross, Absol, Blaziken, Cacturne, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Aggron, need i say more?) Team Magma and Team Aqua werent total jokes like Team Rocket, the list goes on and on.

Ankoku Flare
August 16th, 2010, 01:25 AM
I guess the sudden change of design really caused the disapproval of some of the older crowd like 4th and 5th gen. since the original designer stopped at 2nd gen.

I thought it was alright, liked a couple of the pokemon like milotic and salamence. The way they improved the pc(with the backgrounds and renaming) was also pretty neat.

AmatuerHacker
August 16th, 2010, 01:33 AM
i love the hoenn region i think after black & white they should do hoenn remakes with new events like heartgold and soul silver

Arolu
August 22nd, 2010, 06:18 AM
I think the Hoenn Reigion had some of the best Pokemon; New moves, Natures, Abilities, Type matches... It was a great change! Sure, it missed out the past Pokemon (which was a bit of a let down) but, it seemed like a good stepping stone into the 4th Gen'. Although, it would have been better if the features (such as the real-time clock and night system) were in Hoenn as they would have done well. I just hope that a remake comes to solve this!

PalkiaSpace
August 22nd, 2010, 07:30 AM
I hate Gen 3 games for many reasons:

WARNING: Opinion Alert

The hellish, never-ending ocean.
The desert route... cough...Mirage Tower...cough
The Pokemon are just... -shiver-
The Secret bases sucked, I always had to have a Pokemon with Secret Power.
Contests. Contests should die.
The different bikes. Why couldn't it have been one?!
2 different, un-organized, randomly goaled teams. "Let's destroy the water and go thirsty!" "Let's destroy the Land and Drown!"
WALLY. He's pathetic.
I'm not even going to talk about Wallace... Or Juan for that matter...
Gym leaders are boring and look weird.
Crappy sprites, I mean, look at this abomination:http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/0/05/Spr_3r_275.png
Burn-your-eyes-out-colors.
A late-in-his-thirties (guess) s scared and being attacked by a ZIGZAGOON?! POOCHYENA?
Region design. Why is there a Mosoleum on a random island in the middle of nowhere? (Mt. Pyre)
Dumb legends. The only one I like is Jirachi.
How come I can't get the other Deoxys forms!?
I can't buy Pokemon with coins! Only dolls! I can't even put all my dolls in my secret base!
Yay! back to having no time system!
The only game's Cities i didn't remember all of.
City design and plot. Mossdeep?! It has a SPACE STATION! I mean, at least make it like, divable.
DIVE.
A desert surrounded by moutains and a Forest?
I have to have a full team of crap to unlock the Regimorons. (I would of put something else...)
Braille... -Cries-
I enjoy the gen 2 graphics more.

I'll post more when I feel like it.

EDIT: More.

WHY DO I NEED TO RUN AROUND FOR THOUSANDS OF STEPS FOR A FLUTE? IT'S NOT WORTH ALL THE SPINDA ENCOUNTERS...
The ash.. IT BIRNS! (spelling intended)
Thaaaaaaat is a sad lookin' Volcanoe!
Too many gimmicky pokemon, Plusle, Minun, Spinda, ect.
The E4 was a pushover.
In emerald, I caught Rayquaza, lv.70. Swept E4. Please, leave the overleveled legends for the after game, which there was NONE OF.
The Battle Frontier...
-The Battle Factory? Looks more like a toddler's fun academy.
-The battle pike? an obese Seviper.
-The tower of terror!
-I still don't understand how you do that temple one. I attack, and it's like no! You lose!
-Don't try to make it better with a Sudowoodo tree...
Wynaught. (have no idea how to spell it...) Why did that demon need a prevo?!

JackGamer
August 22nd, 2010, 09:54 AM
Hoenn had my favourite Pokes.
They're the most imaginative.

Gardenia101
August 22nd, 2010, 10:53 AM
They don't.
Gen. 3 isn't my favorite, but it's still good.

KnilShadowLink
August 22nd, 2010, 10:54 AM
Well...Hoen introduced some of my favorites; Grovyle, Combuskin, Blaziken, Swellow, Shiftry, Flygon, and some others...However it also introduced Salamence...I despise Salamence (I know that this seems a bit childish/fanboyish/ignorant, but I'm being honest about how I feel about it) I always felt like Salamence overshadowed Dragonite. I mean personally when I look at the too I think Gamefreak screwed up distributing the stats with the two. Dragonite (IMO) seems like it would be faster than Salamence, while Salamence (IMO) seems like it would be more bulky than Dragonite

Also I do kind of hate the fact that Rayquaza learns Extremespeed, I kind of enjoyed the fact that Arcanine had a signature attack, but Gamefreak decided to give it to some others >_>

And for the majority of the other Hoen I don't really have an opinion on them...they're just too forgettable...But I don't really hate Hoen Pokemon

rockshock28
August 25th, 2010, 07:46 AM
I actually enjoyed the Hoenn Pokémon. Sure, there were a few useless pieces of junk (no offense, Zigzagoon), but there were also some pretty convienient ones out there.

Zigzagoon was awesome. Catch 5 Zigzagoons, put them in your party, walk around in the grass for a while, and you have a Rare Candy and some Hyper Potions.

ThePikachuDude
August 25th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Hoenn was my all-time favorite. Looking at all the newer games (Black and White) They all look ugly compared to Hoenn. Grovyle is the coolest looking in my opinion.

Ŧøry vs. M£A†¥³
August 25th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Hoenn was my all-time favorite. Looking at all the newer games (Black and White) They all look ugly compared to Hoenn. Grovyle is the coolest looking in my opinion.
Same thing here, Hoenn to me is the best region. The Sinnoh region to me was a disapointment.

Amore
August 25th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I think Hoenn pokemon were a little too complex overall, however there were simpler ones (Zigzagoon, Poochyena, Spheal etc.)

But, this does make for some of the most interesting pokemon around...

I also dislike Salamence for overshadowing Dragonite, although I love all the others.

I think by making Sinnoh so simple, Hoenn was complimented better, and more people will/have come to appreciate Hoenn pokemon

Sinnoh_Freak
August 25th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Hoenn are arguably the best Pokemon so far. How can you not like Breloom?!

dragoniteuser
August 25th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Well don't know abot the rest, but I LOVE Hoenn pokemon! It's the most beautiful region, with the best pokes ever!

valor555
August 25th, 2010, 01:28 PM
It's not that the pokemon are the things people hated about R/S/E, i for one liked the pokemon. But instead it was the region itself i absolutely hated Hoenn (except Fortree that was the only part i liked) there was just too much water and that was coming from some one who absolutely loves water types

Symbiosis
August 25th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I my self hated Gen 3 pokemon and found Gen 4 to make up for that upset,But many do not know each generation of pokemon were made by different people so that is why they look weirder each time.

Just like how i hate Gen 5 pokemon except the legendary.

mervyn797
August 25th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Wait.. I don't get it. Who hates Hoenn pokemon? Not me at least. Many of my favourite pokemon are from Heonn. eg. Gardevoir, Sceptile.
According to me, Sinnoh was the most disappointing one.

BringYourOwnKites
August 25th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I can honestly say I like Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald better than Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.
The Pokemon in Hoenn were so much more appealing than Sinnoh's.

Sewzie
August 26th, 2010, 04:23 AM
I personally hold nothing against the Advanced generation Pokemon.
But, IMO, the Pokemon in R/S/E, although were refreshing and creative, lost some of the charm the GBC generation once had. Can't really explain.

pkmntrainerpaul
August 26th, 2010, 05:47 AM
I hate Gen 3 games for many reasons:

WARNING: Opinion Alert

The hellish, never-ending ocean.
The desert route... cough...Mirage Tower...cough
The Pokemon are just... -shiver-
The Secret bases sucked, I always had to have a Pokemon with Secret Power.
Contests. Contests should die.
The different bikes. Why couldn't it have been one?!
2 different, un-organized, randomly goaled teams. "Let's destroy the water and go thirsty!" "Let's destroy the Land and Drown!"
WALLY. He's pathetic.
I'm not even going to talk about Wallace... Or Juan for that matter...
Gym leaders are boring and look weird.
Crappy sprites, I mean, look at this abomination:http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/0/05/Spr_3r_275.png
Burn-your-eyes-out-colors.
A late-in-his-thirties (guess) s scared and being attacked by a ZIGZAGOON?! POOCHYENA?
Region design. Why is there a Mosoleum on a random island in the middle of nowhere? (Mt. Pyre)
Dumb legends. The only one I like is Jirachi.
How come I can't get the other Deoxys forms!?
I can't buy Pokemon with coins! Only dolls! I can't even put all my dolls in my secret base!
Yay! back to having no time system!
The only game's Cities i didn't remember all of.
City design and plot. Mossdeep?! It has a SPACE STATION! I mean, at least make it like, divable.
DIVE.
A desert surrounded by moutains and a Forest?
I have to have a full team of crap to unlock the Regimorons. (I would of put something else...)
Braille... -Cries-
I enjoy the gen 2 graphics more.

I'll post more when I feel like it.

EDIT: More.

WHY DO I NEED TO RUN AROUND FOR THOUSANDS OF STEPS FOR A FLUTE? IT'S NOT WORTH ALL THE SPINDA ENCOUNTERS...
The ash.. IT BIRNS! (spelling intended)
Thaaaaaaat is a sad lookin' Volcanoe!
Too many gimmicky pokemon, Plusle, Minun, Spinda, ect.
The E4 was a pushover.
In emerald, I caught Rayquaza, lv.70. Swept E4. Please, leave the overleveled legends for the after game, which there was NONE OF.
The Battle Frontier...
-The Battle Factory? Looks more like a toddler's fun academy.
-The battle pike? an obese Seviper.
-The tower of terror!
-I still don't understand how you do that temple one. I attack, and it's like no! You lose!
-Don't try to make it better with a Sudowoodo tree...
Wynaught. (have no idea how to spell it...) Why did that demon need a prevo?!

Exactly my point.
The only things I liked were some of the Pokemon, Salamence, Absol, Flygon and teh most awsome Mudkipz

Superjub
August 26th, 2010, 10:25 AM

While R/S/E weren't my favourote games, I disagree with this statement. Can you honestly say that sprite is worse than this? http://pldh.net/media/pokemon/gen1/green/151.png Or this? http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/2/20/Spr_1b_045.png

Anyway, I think the Hoenn Pokemon don't get that much criticism compared to the Sinnoh ones. Plus, Hoenn introduced Blaziken! :D

MushroomZOMBIE
August 26th, 2010, 10:35 AM
People hate Hoenn because they are stuck in the past and can't get out due to wearing their Nostalgia Glasses.
Unlike most fans, I welcome change and new features. I think the hate is purely immature.

So all I have to say to the whiners is: "U mad?"

mondays suck
August 26th, 2010, 11:56 AM
While I am a nostalgia person, I have no problems with most Hoenn Pokemon. Feebas can go die in a fiery pit, but apart from that, I can't think of anything.
While Hoenn contains Pokemon like Wurmple or Plusle that seem to be somewhat inspired by older ones, it also has a lot of good Pokemon.
Most starters are very good ones (I find sceptile rather ugly, but I'm cool with the rest), Zigzagoon is one of my favorite derps, Nuzleaf is among the best things that ever happened to Pokemon, and Pokemon like Numel or Flygon are clearly among the better ones overall.
No, I wouldn't call Hoenn bad. If we're talking about Sinnoh however...

Silhouette
August 26th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I personally don't hate it, but it seems others hate it because they're too poor to buy repels before crossing the ocean.

Arma
August 26th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I enjoyed the Hoenn region the most, basically because there weren't lots of pokemon from the previous gens, compared to Sinnoh and Johto.

Hoenn Pokemon also got the greatest looks, they were cooler and more dangerous looking then the pokes of other gens.

Faline
August 28th, 2010, 04:47 AM
I don't know but I agree with the person above me. Hoenn is pretty fun~

adhdguitar
August 28th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Personally, I just plain didn't like the Hoenn pokes as much as in Kanto and Johto. Its a matter of taste. And before you start hating on me and calling me "overly nostalgic," I like Sinnoh's Pokemon better, which is a newer game.

However, Hoenn did have very awesome geographical features. Unfortunately, it was lessened by awful tilesets.

Naykd
August 28th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I personally think they should stop making a lot of new Pokemon now and just carry on creating new worlds etc. When there were only 150 around, everyone was so excited in seeing the NEW Pokemon (aka Marrill etc). Now it's hard to even remember / keep up because there's so many NEW Pokemon around.

Meli B.
August 29th, 2010, 05:20 AM
I personally love Hoenn Pokemon and I'm currently collecting them in shiny form. It was just the game the got to me. R/S drove me crazy trying to complete the game. Until, I lost it that is.

Weavile05
August 29th, 2010, 06:50 AM
I don't think it's the Pokemon as much as it's the actual game that people hate.
I have a friend who hates RSE, yet his favorite pokemon is from that gen.

sithlizard
August 29th, 2010, 08:31 AM
*cough* Absol *cough*
But seriously, I think the Pokemon matured (Absol, Aggron, Salamence etc), but the environment didn't and got worse. The colours were awful and the game itself, apart from the sea, was too scripted. Cerulean cave and the mansion were my favourite parts from the older games simply because they balanced out the otherwise happy-go-lucky atmosphere in the games.

Mizogorou
August 29th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Because they were used to the old bad graphics, and they couldn't catch their fav Pokemon. But the landscape and new Pokemon were epic.

Ivlis
August 29th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Because it was a huge change from the previous generation, and whenever you have a change, there's always going to be a vocal minority that don't like it. Which I completely understand. Not everyone likes the same thing, so don't go hating on me thinking I'm hating on you. D:

Although personally, I have to say Hoenn was one of my favorites. I really enjoyed it and what it had to offer.

poopnoodle
August 29th, 2010, 02:16 PM
i liked some of the hoenn pokemon, but to me it's evident that the creators are shifting from innovative to minimal/cutesy and gradually pokemon has stopped feeling like pokemon and more like a forcefully drawn-out franchise. it could be nostalgic bias fogging my brain, but what looks like a gradual lapse in creativity over the years is disappointing.

Kanto_Johto
August 29th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Because they're wearing their nostalgia goggles too frequently. Anyone in there 20s are likely to be the 'haters' of the Hoenn region.

I actually have a great deal of nostalgia for Hoenn, so I'm not really one to talk. I was only 10 at the time of its release, and Pokemon was still all the craze at school.

What seems to piss everyone off the most is the many water routes. I actually liked them.

Sinnoh is the real turd for me. Bad region layout is bad.

Lord_Sesshoumaru
August 29th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I like hoenn but not as much as the older gens. I personally think that most hoenn pokes are better than the sinnoh pokes due to the fact that new pokemon are getting uglier and uglier..! try to scoop out the image of the new starters for pokemon black and white..! aren't they horrible..?

Mcguinness3
August 29th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Hohen pokemon seem a lot less... cartoony(?) than the previous generations. Not sure, just seemed that way to me. But my personal favourite was Johto.

dbzmay
August 29th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I just think that it got too overboard. I personally favour 1st gen over all others.

gregory_turner420
September 7th, 2010, 10:23 PM
i thought the pokes were great, i think people just mostly hated all the things that were removed from the games

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
September 8th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Metagross and Flygon say hi.

Anyway, I'm of the camp that thinks that every generation has its good and bad Pokemon. So I really don't hate on any generation's Pokemon (Playing through Hoenn is another matter entirely, however).

Trigaradon
September 11th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Because nostalgia goggles.

Amore
September 11th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Agrees with the "nostalgia goggles". Although I think in some cases it actually stretches to "nostalgia-brained". No offense, it is an extreme minority who come under that classification.

I liked Hoenn's quirky pokemon, such as Spinda, Kecleon, Slaking (they gave him the stats of a legendary, crippled him with Truant, then introduce double battles and Skill Swap to fix him again. And tbh, stick a Hyper Beam on him, and he recharges on his Truant turn, having just KO'd his opponent anyway), etc.

Things like Volbeat and Illumise, Minun and Plusle, etc. that show relationships between different species were really a nice touch. Not to mention 3 legendaries that anybody who hasn't looked on the internet will not have discovered even now....

But, then again, I'm so biased, I actually like the water routes, colour palette, etc. so maybe you should all ignore me 8-(

jkriall
September 12th, 2010, 06:25 AM
The introduction of new dragons was cool, but there wasnt anything really that interesting about the other new pokemon.

alextreme
September 12th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I don't like people with nostalgia goggles you can say you preferred 1 generation over another but just plain hating 1 mean you got nostalgia goggles.

solarowl
September 17th, 2010, 10:53 PM
I always hated gen 3 for some reason, I just thought it was bad... BUt now Hoenn is really cool! Especially its cool pokemon!

SandslashFTW
September 22nd, 2010, 06:21 PM
Here's why I disliked it.
Salamance - overrated green Charizard on four legs
Metagross - overrated robot machine
Claydol - not a pokemon. a psychic spinning top
Gardevior>Kirlia>Ralts - antisocial queer who evolves into ballerina dancers
Mawile - "steel" dwarf with an unnecessary horribly placed mouth
Ludicolo - stereotype of a Mexican
Milotic>Feebas - complete and undeniable rip-off of Gyarados>Magikarp
Minun&Plusie - self explanatory
Altaria - most overrated overpowered piece of crap ever. how is this a dragon type? how is this even a flying type, it doesn't even have wings, it's covered in bubbles
Not to mention:
- Over 9000 legendaries.
- Rival failed hard.
- Pokemon contests. Now Pokemon is a beauty contest? Nice.
- surfsurfsurfsurfsurfsurfsurfsurfsurfsurfsurfsurfsurf
- Didn't live up to R/B/Y/G/S/C.

I'd give it a 7/10. It wasn't terrible, it just couldn't compare to Gen 1 and 2 who were 10/10 games for me. Some of the new Pokemon were cool. (Blazekin, Zangoose, Taillow, Absol, Sceptile, Torkoal)

MarstheCar
September 22nd, 2010, 06:25 PM
In my opinion, I loved all of the Hoenn pokemon. They are the only ones I can name off the top of my head. Perhaps people hate Gen 3 Pokemon since they are different compared to Gen 1 and 2.

Dixie Kong
September 22nd, 2010, 07:18 PM
I myself am a Hoenn fanboy. I loved it. I didn't like all the surfing, but I did like diving. I'm glad it's apparently been brought back for BW. Anyway, the only Pokemon I don't find too appealing from Hoenn is Huntail. Something about it's face. The region itself is weird with all the water, but the Pokemon did not fail too hard, if not at all. But that's just what I think.

Here's why I disliked it.
Salamance - overrated green Charizard on four legs It's blue.
Metagross - overrated robot machine
Gardevior>Kirlia>Ralts - antisocial queer who evolves into ballerina dancers Um, a little harsh? That might offend someone. :|
Milotic>Feebas - complete and undeniable rip-off of Gyarados>Magikarp Not even. Magikarp doesn't have insane evolution requirements, and Milotic and Gyarados hardly look anything alike.
Minun&Plusie - self explanatory
Altaria - most overrated overpowered piece of crap ever. how is this a dragon type? how is this even a flying type, it doesn't even have wings, it's covered in bubbles Overrated? It's the only Dragon type that never even made it into OU. And it's clouds, not bubbles.
Not to mention:
- Over 9000 legendaries. 10 as opposed to Sinnoh's 13.
- Rival failed hard. I can agree with that.
- Pokemon contests. Now Pokemon is a beauty contest? Nice. It's just a side thing. Don't even have to do it.
- surfsurfsurfsurfsurfsurfsurfsurfsurfsurfsurfsurfsurf
- Didn't live up to R/B/Y/G/S/C. The main complaint. Nothing will live up to the first games, so this has become a generic complaint.

Daikenki
September 22nd, 2010, 08:21 PM
-glances at her age-
People in their 20's dislike new things because we all wear nostalgia goggles and can't get our sorry butts out of the past?
Lol okay.

I liked the Hoenn region, and I've been trying to clean out my room just so I can try and find my Sapphire version. Still want to play it, and also to take advantage of the Pal Park.

There were a lot of places to explore, and that was one of the main reasons I liked it. When it comes to graphics, they were okay, but I disliked the POSES for most of the pokemon and the trainers. It's the poses that irked me, not the actual content.
I also liked that there were two teams instead of just Rocket. Rocket was sad and boring. :[ They were cool for a llittle while. I actually wished I was part of Team Aqua, ffff.

The whole phrase with the nostlagia goggles thing is really cliche. It's as bad as a generation one lover hating every sequel for no reason.

Oh, and the pokemon weren't bad either. I just tend to forget most of them because they didn't stand out. They didn't suck, they just didn't tickle my fancy like gens two and four did.

Bibliophibian
September 22nd, 2010, 10:06 PM
I didn't hate the R/S/E Pokemon, really. There are a few I disliked, but there are always a few in every generation that just irk me.

The main reason I disliked (and still dislike) R/S/E is because I can't stand the region. I hate the map, and all the surfing and diving made me quit mid-game multiple times. (I'm really not looking forward to Dive coming back. ;-; )

The graphics are a little odd, and didn't really have the usual "Pokemon" feel to me, though I just chalk that up to the fact that they were messing around with new things since they moved the series to the GBA.

Team Aqua/Magma were kind of neat, a change from the usual Team Rocket, but instead of getting the feeling of "These guys are doing terrible things and so I should make them stop." I ended up thinking "These people are all idiots. I can't believe I have to deal with this. Can't I just...ignore them?" You should feel good about stopping the teams in the various games, and with Aqua/Magma it just felt like a terrible chore for me.
(I have to say that Magma had some nifty uniforms, though.)

I also feel like they overdid it with the legendaries (Sinnoh too, but that's another story for another gen) though that's less of a bother to me than having to go through a landscape I find annoying. This whole "omg u don't liek dis game nostalgia goggles!" thing is ridiculous. Just because someone dislikes certain games doesn't automatically mean they just can't get over another generation. Granted, it's bound to be true for a few people, but making assumptions is never awesome.

Long post is long, and there are more things that bothered me about gen 3, but I'll just cut it off here. >_>"

Dark Pulse94
September 22nd, 2010, 11:11 PM
Hoenn pokes are the best, we've seen the best of times from our RSE games, we've had memes "So I heard you liek Mudkipz?" - two Evil teams "Magma" and "Aqua" so our trainer is twice as epic, we've also got the bestpokemon in the region (Whiscash) as well as lots of other good ones, (weather trio, sun/moon pokemon, plant fossil, 3 pseudo legendaries "mence, Flygon and T-tar")

Hoenn was by far the best generation, and the introduction to the Frontier! I can't wait for the RSE remakes! (speaking of which, is there anyone ROM hacking one?)

SandslashFTW
September 23rd, 2010, 05:11 PM
Hoenn pokes are the best, we've seen the best of times from our RSE games, we've had memes "So I heard you liek Mudkipz?" - two Evil teams "Magma" and "Aqua" so our trainer is twice as epic, we've also got the bestpokemon in the region (Whiscash) as well as lots of other good ones, (weather trio, sun/moon pokemon, plant fossil, 3 pseudo legendaries "mence, Flygon and T-tar")

Hoenn was by far the best generation, and the introduction to the Frontier! I can't wait for the RSE remakes! (speaking of which, is there anyone ROM hacking one?)
Magma and Aqua were pathetic. They weren't even evil. The weather trio was just stupid, Salamence is an overrated rip-off of Charizard, Metagross was the second pseudo; not Flygon, and Tyranitar is from Johto. Yeah, shows how much you've actually played the games.

Tyler Carmine
September 28th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I dont get it, they always seem to be hated on, ive been playing since red and blue and the hoenn bunch seem to be the most vreative and best of all.

WHAAT?!?!?! Hoenn PKMN are my favs! Absol, Flygon, Salemence, Blaziken, Arrgon, Manectric, Rayquaza, ect.

Project.
September 28th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I will have to agree with some of the others. The map was difficult to navigate when I didn't have fly. And it was just utterly confusing though. But the Pokemon and the legacy and the Battle Frontier are some of its best qualities. Hoenn, was probably my 2nd favorite.

Also, Hoenn has a lot of undiscovered Pokemon because it has never been remade, and the reason its behind Sinnoh is that the DS is a more versatile device when it comes to (trading, battling, etc.). While Johto has been remade, as well as Kanto

Purple_Haze
September 28th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Hoenn is alright but Kanto has always been the best.

cartoonkiller
October 6th, 2010, 03:44 AM
i think the pokemon matured (absol, aggron, salamence etc), but the environment didn't and got worse.... the colours were awful and the game itself, apart from the sea, was too scripted. cerulean cave and the mansion were my favourite parts from the older games simply because they balanced out the otherwise happy-go-lucky atmosphere in the games. >:

christyan
October 6th, 2010, 04:13 AM
i think because thay are pretty old

Pyrax
October 6th, 2010, 09:54 AM

If you had actually done some research, then you'd know that:
Ludicolo is a Kappa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappa_(folklore))
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_l_ziE1pr4Zw/RtcuhGbVjqI/AAAAAAAAAY0/SA75bQGo_x8/s1600/Ludicolo.jpghttp://www.pantheon.org/areas/gallery/mythology/asia/japanese/kappa.jpg

While Mawile is a Futakuchi-Onna (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futakuchi-onna)
http://www.pokefanaticos.com.ar/galeria/pokemon/hoenn/Mawile.jpghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/4/40/Futakuchi-onna.jpg/200px-Futakuchi-onna.jpg

Also, Claydol is a Shakōkidogū (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shak%C5%8Dkidog%C5%AB#Shak.C5.8Dkidog.C5.AB)
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/v2dex132.gifhttp://www.muza-chan.net/aj/poze-weblog/jomon-dogu-01.jpg

Erin
October 6th, 2010, 01:21 PM
If you had actually done some research...

This is why I dislike many of the Hoenn Pokemon.
If the designs are so wretched that one actually has to do research to figure out what it's supposed to resemble, of course several people aren't going find them appealing. Some Pokemon you named (i.e. Mawile) have designs that make logical sense to the original Japanese audiences because they're based off more specific aspects of Japanese culture. This in turn, however, leaves Western audiences thinking that the designers are just running out of ideas.

murkage
October 6th, 2010, 03:28 PM
i think 2nd gen is the worst. Lugia and Hooh are pretty cool but the pokemon are garbage. the starters are the worst of all gens and the pokemon in 2nd gen are weak and their is only a few decent ones, tryanitar, kingdra, piloswine. 3rd gen are the strongest in general and 1st gen are good too but since they elders they just have that rep. not to mention they have mew who is impossible to get unless you cheat. i would much rather play emerald over shinygold.

123wert50
October 8th, 2010, 06:55 AM
I've never seen people hate the Pokemon. Maybe the games, but not the
Pokemon. Maybe it will be less hated when the R/S remakes come out.

last fighter 36
October 8th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I love the hoenn region............and it's pokemon my favorite is swampert don't hate the hoenn region hate it's sprites.

Lickitricky
October 8th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Hoenn has to be my favorite region. I like the innovative ideas, and I love the fact that not every single Pokemon is based off of animals (glares at 2nd generation), or that the Pokedex is not full of 3-evolution powerhouses (I'm looking at you, Black and White).

Hoenn also has great non-evolving Pokemon that can really wreak havoc (Absol<3), and the producers aren't afraid to add neat, fun new concepts (Castform, Plusle and Minun, the gargantuan Wailord) that are fun to carry around and experiment with. To me, the producers, upon adding things like Tropius and Mawile, seem to be saying "Yes, this Pokemon doesn't evolve, and its stats are not great. Deal with it." They don't use stick figure Pokemon, but they don't add super modern-looking ridiculous legendaries, either (Reshiram and Zekrom... *slaps forehead*).

Anyway, I love Hoenn Pokemon, especially since they include Torkoal, Milotic and Tropius, my three favorites.

La Denryu
October 8th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I think it's because a lot of people resented the fact that they eliminated backwards compatibility for the first time, I mean, I was pretty pissed when I found out I couldn't trade my beloved Crystal Pokemon to Sapphire. Also, getting rid of the day/night feature was a bit of a dumb mistake. I personally loved 3rd gen, but I can see why it's disliked.

Also, if you count the the anime, you get the "OMG THEY REPLACE MISTY!!1 SCREW THIS!!" thing.

zoo3891
October 9th, 2010, 06:31 PM
IMO hoenn was the best gen, i did feel weird with all the surfing but i got over it. I actually liked the generation the best, the pokemon of that gen were my second favorite after the gen 2 pokemon. The regions citys were pretty good, and i always loved the small town feel of hoenn. I loved the change in graphics cuz back then that would have been a huge change change for me. Oh but i hated clamperl when i learned how to evolve it because my friends at the time didn't play pokemon and i didn't have two gba's or a link cable. I can see the argument that they look stupid buti didn't mind it too much. My biggest beef with theese games is the male protagonists hat.

SandslashFTW
October 11th, 2010, 08:03 PM
i think 2nd gen is the worst. Lugia and Hooh are pretty cool but the pokemon are garbage. the starters are the worst of all gens and the pokemon in 2nd gen are weak and their is only a few decent ones, tryanitar, kingdra, piloswine. 3rd gen are the strongest in general and 1st gen are good too but since they elders they just have that rep. not to mention they have mew who is impossible to get unless you cheat. i would much rather play emerald over shinygold.
You sir, are retarded. Like most 10 year old Hoenn fans, you seem to only care about overpowered legendary Pokemon and large bulky Pokemon with jacked up stats. You do not care about the actual design of the Pokemon, or have any style, which is probably why you liked Hoenn. Well, enjoy playing with your mecha-lord robo Pokemon, I'll stick to the awesomeness that is Kanto/Johto.

Hoenn has to be my favorite region. I like the innovative ideas Innovative? *cough minun cough plusle* Not to mention Salamence is a blue Charizard on four legs. and I love the fact that not every single Pokemon is based off of animals (glares at 2nd generation) I always hated the fact that they WEREN'T based off animals. Metagross? Wtf? or that the Pokedex is not full of 3-evolution powerhouses (I'm looking at you, Black and White) Yeah, Black and White sucks. LOL

Hoenn also has great non-evolving Pokemon that can really wreak havoc (Absol<3) Absol is pretty cool, yeah. and the producers aren't afraid to add neat, fun new concepts (Castform, Plusle and Minun, the gargantuan Wailord) How are Plusle and Minun new concepts? that are fun to carry around and experiment with. To me, the producers, upon adding things like Tropius and Mawile Mawile was ridiculously stupid. It boggles my mind as to why it is steel type, much like the most annoying Pokemon ever to exist, Lucario. seem to be saying "Yes, this Pokemon doesn't evolve, and its stats are not great. Deal with it." They don't use stick figure Pokemon, but they don't add super modern-looking ridiculous legendaries, either (Reshiram and Zekrom... *slaps forehead*) The Regis look just as ridiculous as the B&W legendaries.

Anyway, I love Hoenn Pokemon, especially since they include Torkoal, Milotic and Tropius, my three favorites. Torkoal is win. Milotic>Feebas is a rip off of Gyarados>Magikarp. Tropius isn't to my likings, but I don't hate it. Flying grass dinosaurs; now that's creative.

Read the bold. (25characterspamlol)

Roxichu
October 11th, 2010, 08:38 PM
The Hoenn Pokemon were the first generation to go into the more complex and less "traditional" Pokemon designs. I like them, but they took some getting used to. ;P

mattfriends
October 11th, 2010, 11:41 PM
They are awful! I don't like them. - -

Masterge77
October 12th, 2010, 07:15 AM
A lot of people claim that the Hoenn Pokemon are not as creative as the older ones.....

WonderGirl
October 12th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Who hates Hoenn Pokémon? D: They're the best! I don't even know how I can argue for 3rd Gen since I don't see lots of people against it ">.>

GrifSpark
October 12th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Hoenn, my favourite generation when it comes to Pokemon.

Seriously, I love all of the Gen3 Pokemon. Just like all the other regions, it has its good and bad Pokemon, but I don't really care. Nincada for example, was a work of genious, having a shell that literally comes to life. There are many others to list, but I don't have the patience.

Overall, Hoenn had some of my favourite Pokemon. Yay!

kaiser32
October 12th, 2010, 08:12 PM
I truly never hated gen 3 because it was the first gen I played. (I went completly backwards in terms of games.) I guess people don't like the designs or something it's crazy man.

SpawnHyuuga
October 13th, 2010, 04:14 AM
The only people who hate Generation 3 are the people who think Pokemon should've ended after Johto. Game Freak decided that Pokemon was a great cash cow and kept it going. Personally, I like quite a few of the Hoenn Pokemon - and Sinnoh wasn't too bad... I feel the same about Isshu. The people who don't like Generation 3 are just nostalgic. They like their old pokemon, and there is nothing wrong with that. I tend to like Generation I and II more than these newer generatons, but I'm not the person to just say I hate it all. I will happily play all Pokemon games until they just become really stupid...

(I liek Mudkipz. ^^)

AshPikastar
October 13th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Who hates Hoenn Pokemon? I enjoy the Hoenn Pokemon. Besides most of my favorite Pokemon coming from Sinnoh, my other favorites came from the Hoenn Region I mean Flygon, Absol, Milotic, Sharpedo, Mudkip and Roselia I mean come on. They have some good Pokemon there.

Pechachu
October 13th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I don't think most people hate Hoenn Pokémon. We had some good additions in that region. I think a lot of people hated the Hoenn region, because it was mainly water routes, so you'd surf for hours and only encounter tenticool. I like the Pokémon though, and overall R/S/E was a good addition to the series.

Veronika
October 13th, 2010, 12:40 PM
So being in my 20s means I have permanent nostalgia goggles?
Yeah, no.
I have nothing but love for Hoenn and its Pokemon and I love Sinnoh even more. I have SoulSilver but I still spend most of my time in Platinum. We're not all stuck in the 90s, bbs!

Cold Fusion
October 14th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I don't think most people hate Hoenn Pokémon. We had some good additions in that region.

I have to agree with this. How many Dragonite, Flygon, Salamance, etc. fans are they? There are multiple amount that are uncountable. Most of the fans hated the game for some reason, in my preference I loved that region, but yes Hoenn region was disliked.

Ghost Type Specialist
October 14th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I love the third generation! ;D Not my favorite, though. I first got into Pokemon when there were three generations.

Mijumaru123
October 14th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Well, Emerald was my first game, and I do have fond memories of it. I guess the Pokemon were okay, but some I just feel that some of them were designed in a hurry.

GaXeL
October 14th, 2010, 01:24 PM
HONESTLY, 1-3 are the best generations. That was when Ludicolo the LIKE COOLEST DUCK YOUVE SEEN IN YO LIFE. That dances! and wailord is a beast since hes a whale, imagine getting hit by a rollout with one of those things! BTW: Kyogre is better than Groudon, Design-wise too

SandslashFTW
October 15th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Who hates Hoenn Pokemon? I enjoy the Hoenn Pokemon. Besides most of my favorite Pokemon coming from Sinnoh, my other favorites came from the Hoenn Region I mean Flygon, Absol, Milotic, Sharpedo, Mudkip and Roselia I mean come on. They have some good Pokemon there.
You see, now you aren't allowed to have an opinion anymore.

butterbiscuit
October 15th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I don't hate Hoenns. I love all Pokemon games, but Hoenn is my least favorite. I do like Hoenn, though.

Daikenki
October 16th, 2010, 08:48 PM
You see, now you aren't allowed to have an opinion anymore.

You have done nothing but complain and attack people on this thread and others.
Grow up some, okay?
Not everyone is going to like ~gen1 &gen2~.
People were born after that time.
People do have different opinions.
People do like different things.
Just because you're so hell-bent on not giving anything else a chance doesn't mean you have the right to deny someone else of their opinion.

And people have shown and explained to you all of the differences and why these pokemon "look like statues or look like clay dolls" but you know what you do? You don't pay attention to them at all and go off on this whole biased tangent. That is not civil.

If you can't learn some respect, then maybe the advanced gen board is not the right one for you. :/

But watch as you completely overlook this entire post and go off on another rant just because you can't get your way.

GSCyndaquil19
October 17th, 2010, 11:17 AM
i love the hoenn games, except for most of the gyms are wayy to hard, but i really love them because of these reasons.The Hoenn saga for then anime was one of my favorites, Sapphire was the first game i beat the E4 in,me and my friends had sleepovers and just pulled all nighters playing these games,the starters were so cool and i loved all the pokemon in them.

Garouga! Bare Your Fangs!
October 17th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I think it was around the third generation when people started getting skeptical about how many Pokemon could exist before it became redundant. The games themselves weren't bad, but little things like tougher gyms and crap like Volbeat got kind of annoying. Still, I can't see why someone would hate them.

Gallaceon
October 20th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Well i really don't care whether anybody like 3rd gen or not
i love 3rd gen pokemons

tigerfangred91
October 20th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Hmm, I don't really know why other than because they came out after Gold and Silver(which was the best in my opinion). Who knows. Either way, I have a lot of fond memories of Ruby so I don't really see why so many hate on it.

Mortalis
October 20th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Hoenn get's hated on because It was a big change in the Pokemon games. It tested out new ideas, new Pokemon design, new features, etc.

Personally, I love that Region. So many good memories, and I loved the plot line, the looks, the difficulty, and the new Pokemon. But since that was a testing stage more then an evolution stage, it got kicked in the butt. Imagine the Hoenn region with the new features and such that we have now.

It will defiantly be a good remake. There's no doubt that they'll remake it, because they will. Remakes = Money. Money = Happy Nintendo and GameFreak. Plus, the remakes will be awesome because they'll be like Black and White, yet with new and better features because Game Freak will learn from the things they did in Isshu.

Rankurusu
October 20th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I don't know why people don't like them that much, but I do know one thing: They don't deserve it.

yuki1406
October 20th, 2010, 08:33 PM
There are many problems with R/S/E. As many people have already stated, there were amazing changes and new features, but they failed with:
1- PokéContests: I hardly find someone who really enjoy them. Basically, the more useful a move was in battle, the less useful it was on a pokécontest (and vice-versa).
2- [HM 6]Rock Smash: Seriously, what were they thinking when they transformed Rock Smash in a HM? You were obligated to teach that to a pokémon and, well, it was a very weak move. (AND THEY KEPT FLASH TOO). The move deleter was there, but only at the end of the game.
3- Secret Bases: Yes, everybody expected they'd be something way better than it was.
4- Weather conditions: I loved the introduction of this mechanics, but it was ridiculous how it was made. At some places it rained forever and in others it never rained... Fixed climate conditions made this feature a bit fail
5- Unbalanced Pokémon: Maybe it's just my impression, but I think this version is the worst in balance. There were the weak ones and the tough ones, and only a few pokémon stand on the middle. Without mentioning the very-hard-to-get weak pokémons such as Feebas and Chimecho.
6- Money: I thought money was way too easy to obtain. I caught myself holding max money again and again. Linoone would caught a Nugget for me every now and then, and with the advent of Amulet Coin it was not difficult to get money. I could buy all the Protein, Iron, Carbos, HP UPs,... that I wanted.
7- Berries and PokéBlocks: As I already stated, I dislike the pokécontests very much, so the pokéblock system was completely unnecessary. Also, it was tough making a good pokéblock by yourself. The pokéblender NPCs were stupid and always missed lots of times. Also, the irregularity of grown of each berry made me sick. Seemed like they wanted us to play 24/7.

Although there were many innovations and real nice ideas in this version, the flaws were more evident than ever. I think thats the reason why so many people (including me) dislike this version.

WIN features:
Double battles, introduction of Abilities and Natures, way better Storage System, new kind of villains (Magma/Acqua), new kinds of pokéballs (fast ball, timer ball, premier ball,...)

yaminokaitou
October 20th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Personally, I found very few of the designs appealing. I didn't particularly like the D/P pokemon either, though, so it's nothing personal against Hoenn.

560cool.
October 21st, 2010, 04:01 AM
Most people don't like change. They prefer their cozy, good, old habits.
I can't say I hate Hoenn. I actually love it ; I got into Pokemon with Sapphire when I was just 5 years old. Blaziken... Dusclops... so many great Pokemon.
I never faced any of the old school Pokemon until I received FireRed. I thought Ratatta was super rare and that Pidgey was the strongest Flying type. Yeah, good times...
So, I can't judge people by hating RS ; they don't hate the games, they hate the change. So yeah, I hope this clears it up.

FilbertTheFox
October 21st, 2010, 10:32 AM
I only like hoenn for poochyena :D

Mimey
October 22nd, 2010, 03:35 PM
I love Hoenn!

I've played every region a few times, and I have to say that Hoenn is my favorite.

I liked it in the games, anime and manga.

The story is just awesome and I really like the Pokémon from it.. for example Aggron and Crawdaunt and Glalie etc etc etc. xD

Massacre.
October 22nd, 2010, 05:02 PM
I'd actually say Sinnoh Pokemon until I got used to it. Most people can't accept change, I think that's the reason. I usually just get used to it, however. I actually love Hoenn, but that's just me.

Frontier Zecos
October 24th, 2010, 06:37 AM
I like Hoenn region and it's Pokemons. In fact, I am currently playing Pokemon Emerald while waiting I'm about to buy a DSi with HG/SS.

pleryt16
October 24th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I love the Hoenn Pokemon, but I rarely use them because I rarely play the games (I don't like the Hoenn region)

Syvelocin
October 25th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Hoenn pokémon I never had a problem with. I love a lot of them :) And Sapphire was my first ever pokémon game, so I always put them with the I and II gen pokémon. I do worry for Black and White though. I don't have it yet, of course, but sometimes it just scares me when they keep making new versions... D/P was alright, but it wasn't my favourite actually. Some of the pokémon just... didn't seem like pokémon anymore, if that makes sense.

Yoshikachu
October 27th, 2010, 01:48 AM
I think R/S/E are just hated in general. I don't know why. Perhaps everybody was expecting another ZOMGfest like Johto generated and the games fell short of their expectations? Or perhaps that was when the backlash began: any given fandom has a few years of being immortal when it first begins, but then there's a period where fans hate everything about them. Personally the only thing I hated about the Hoenn games was the music. I mostly play Emerald on mute...
Are you tone deaf? the Hoenn games have some of the best music in the series 10x better than DPPt.
I personally loved the Hoenn pokemon as they had some good legendaries and new original pokemon (Sceptile's my all time favourite starter)

Mokonist
October 28th, 2010, 08:26 PM
RSE was the first Pokémon games I ever played and I think they are only better than RBY.

Reasons:
-So much surfing area;
-Starter Pokémon aren't THAT cool;
-The system of day and night was removed;
-Forgettable gym leader and Pokémon;
-The proposal of a storyline based in "weather changes" was not developed so well, ending in a "battle/catch the legendary pokémon to save the world";
-The rival isn't more a real challenge to you how it was in RBY, GSC and DPPt;

At the end i don't HATE Hoenn... only don't like.
In the Pokémon question, I love Skitty, Absol (one of my favs), Mudkip and family and some others, but along with the region, this is the worst generation for me.
And I not a "nostalgic one". Ok, a bit. But I liked most of Isshu and Sinnoh's Pokémon.

imevil
October 30th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I think ther eprobabllt the best ones

Shelldershucker
November 3rd, 2010, 07:28 PM
Don't get me wrong, I like Generation I and II pokemon better than most of the 3rd gen pokemon

but I don't hate the 3rd Generation. In fact, I like how the 3rd Generation brought out some good fighting, fire and steel type pokemon.

But they'll never be as good as the 1st and 2nd gens. :-)

Edd84
November 4th, 2010, 04:42 PM
My thoughts are opposite of those who loved Hoenn but hated Sinnoh.

I thought Hoenn had dopey starters, and to be honest I hate all three of them. They just look....weird. They didn't add anything new. And sure there are a handful of cool new Pokemon (hello Aggron yo?) to catch, but for the most apart, again I hate them. But I did like the map a lot, I don't know why others don't. I thought it was diverse and fun to trek through; it came out as a bright spot in the game.

For me, Sinnoh did everything right, that I thought Hoenn did wrong. The collect of Pokemon just kicks a** and I like the map even more.

Another thing is, Hoenn was just a pure step backwards from Johto. Day and night, arguably the coolest new feature was scrapped! The new teams, Aqua and Magma, were friggin lame and came across to me as a ham-handed environmental statement, don't get me wrong I'm not against political allegories but they don't fit Pokemon. They weren't even intimidating, the captain of Aqua looked like a retro porn star! The idea that Team Rocket were just thugs in it for the money, made it a lot more fun to bring them down.

Speaking of scrapping things, what happened to a genuine rival? May was a joke, you only got to battle her a handful of times and I think you battle Wally like...twice,he wasn't very tough either.

Just the whole game, feels like a watered down version of Gold and Silver which is a huge disappointment condsidering the vast technological advancements. And when Game Freak released Fire Red and Leaf Green it was kind of like, yeah just forget those games happened, here's a bada** remake

To each his own though I understand entirely why one would hate or love Hoenn.

Ace Trainer Jessie
November 16th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Are you kidding? I love Hoenn. It's an epic game, and the Pokemon are just awesome (:

September
November 16th, 2010, 09:58 AM
If you compare them to what we're getting nowadays, I'd have to say the Advance Gen Pokemon are one of the most well designed I've ever seen.

Shadow Ball
November 16th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I don't hate hoenn or Generation III Pokemon. I just don't enjoy them as much as Generation I and II. Is it because I'm an older pokemon fan and can't accept change? Maybe, partially. Mostly, I think it's because I find the first two generations just better games in general. I enjoy the story more, the pokemon designs, and the characters... and everything, really.

Shiny Gardevoir
November 20th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Honestly, Hoenn was my favorite, it was filled with things I like, ruins, mysteries, underwater thingies... There are some pokemon I don't really like in that gen, like Luvdisc...
Still, it was good, and it's my favorite, in terms of adventure and area... But there were some annoying stuff, like growing your berries (it won't grow in my game) and the removal of day and night thing from the 2nd gen... I don't get why people don't like it though...

Aera
November 25th, 2010, 12:09 PM
It's my first generation ever, and it's epic that way. Hands down.

mal'akh
November 27th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Tch. Favorite generation. I CAN understand why people would hate it though. But I wouldn't say it should be bashed. I mean, Christ, it's a lot better than the newer games *sorta*. It contains Pokemon that always have to be in my party though. No matter what. Like Gardevoir and Altaria or Aggron. c:

Weavile05
November 27th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Hoenn wasn't bad, in my opinion. Some people say they hate Hoenn pokemon, but what generation introduced Salamence, so beast it's now competetively uber, Metagross, a very strong tank, Cradily, a nearly invincible wall after a few stockpiles, Sceptile, one of the best and fastest Subseeders in UU, Aggron, another very powerful tank, among many other kick@$$ Pokemon?

Shadow Claws
November 28th, 2010, 03:38 AM
Hoenn is my favourite region, though the only thing that bothers me is the lack of the VS seeker.xD

It also contains some of my favourite pokemon, like Sceptile, Aggron, Breloom, Deoxys, etc.

iRyu
November 28th, 2010, 08:09 AM
I don't hate, I have a dislike for it.
I like some of the pokemon, not all of them.
Battle Frontier
Two types of bikes
The gym leaders were named after their type, haha...

Dislikes:
I think the pokemon sound like transformers that are transforming or making weird noises
The game moved really fast and the bike made it even faster.
I didn't like the thought of no team rocket but two teams trying to take over the world.
I didn't like not being able to catch kyogre in ruby or groudon in sapphire.
Dive?...
Hella legendaries
no Day/night

chaoko
November 28th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I think it's because the RSE gen tried to make the sprites and graphics smoothed out while still keeping the old chunky interface(not saying old/chunky is bad). That's why I disliked it. Seriously, just look at Goldensun! Nintendo made a mind blowing psuedo-3D battle experience and then served pokemon fans the same graphical experience as 7 years ago with smoothed edges

Fran
November 29th, 2010, 07:54 AM
In my opinion hoenn is much better than sinnoh, and my dream team has 4 pokemons from hoenn

Swalot
Grumpig
Smeargle
Volbeat
Tauros
Sharpedo

Garringman
November 29th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Hoenn was my favorite region out of them all my only real problem with 3rd Gen was the sprites for some pokemon like Sceptile and Banette they just looked so strange and even with that I liked most of them anyway including those two, but I enjoyed the main story and the extra things to do like obtaining the Regi's, and the soundtrack was simply amazing especially Victory Road.

♠Dawn Rayne♠
November 29th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Its all that Trick Master jerk's fault.. he makes the reigon so darn miserable! GRRRR! I am shaking my angry fist at him!

Really, I dont judge the regions, as long as they are full of pokemon and adventure I will enjoy them :)

Cake
November 29th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Nostalgia goggles, and the fact that the game seemed bland. I don't know, but it just lacked appeal to me. I can't really describe why I didn't enjoy it as much as the other gens. I don't hate it but it is hardly my favorite generation. I will give credit to it though because it basically set up the competitive battling system we have now, and it has one of my favorite Pokemon - Spheal.

matt steel
December 2nd, 2010, 01:31 PM
i never liked the region rather than the pokes...but this gen had some of the best and worst pokes...just think bad outwheighed the good imo...
at least they arnt as bad as the 5th gen pokes lol

Ataraxia
December 2nd, 2010, 03:00 PM
I dunno... Overall I've spent most of my Pokemon time on:
1. Yellow (over 2 years)
2. Silver/Crystal
3. R/S/E

Hmm... I suppose overplaying didn't help. (even though I adore Yellow still) I think it was the limbo between retro graphics and sound and the full 3D and awesome sound that the DS brought... Other than that I just hated the region layout, names, plot and pokemon designs. I don't think there is one solid reason why. :S
Oh and it's not an inability to adjust because I went from Yellow to G/S/C just fine and then from R/S/E to D/P/P fine too...

PatJamma
December 2nd, 2010, 08:03 PM
i didnt like RSE because it introduced the things that I hate the most: abilities, natures, battle frontiers, and the thing i hate most: fire/fighting typed starters

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
December 5th, 2010, 12:28 PM
My favorite Pokemon is from generation three so i would never hate generation three. As for the statement that people hate hoenn Pokemon so much? I've never heard that statement before, this is the first time that I heard of anyone saying this before

:t354:TG

INV
December 5th, 2010, 02:05 PM
I loved R\S\E REALLY REALLY much,My Favourite Pokemon and favourite pokemon set came from there(Swampert unbeatable with 1 set,Gardevior Owns,Salamance Pro,Swallow the usual flying pokemon,Aggron just cuz he's good and zigzagoon best HM slave ever!)
The only thing I hated there was the fact that there was NO AFTERSTORY!
Kanto have the sevii islands,Johto have Kanto as an afterstory,Sinnoh got that battle zone(Fight area,Resort area,Survival area,Stark mountain afterstory).
Really,after you're done the elite four you get a ticket to the Battle Frointer\Tower and...Done.
For me R\S\E are the easiest games ever made in all pokemon series,Seriously,I reached to the pokemon league with lvl 36 pokemons while the last gym leader had like 10 lvls higher pokemon and I destroyed him.
I don't get it,People here say that those games missed the classic pokemon but they didn't look it at this way:R\S\E was an expansion for FR\LG,If you put together the pokemons from FR\LG and R\S\E you'll get the full 386 pokemon you wanted(without the event pokemon of course)I tested it and well,I have completed the national dex in Emerald when im missing all of the event pokemon and the three legendary dogs(which you can get in FR\LG after the national dex and it depends on your starter,I was just too lazy to find them ><)

MysticFlames
December 5th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I generally don't have a problem with the 3rd gen Pokemon, actually, in general, I like them. Sure it had some unoriginal designs, like Luvdisc, for example, but a lot of the designs were quite creative and interesting.
Flygon, for example. Flygon itself is one of my favorite Pokemon, and its line is based on a very unique insect. Or the Lotad line. They're Grass/Water and based off lilypads... Oror Relicanth being a coelacanth- the living fossil.
I dunno. I like 3rd gen Pokemon.

altariaking
December 6th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Who doesn't like Hoenn Pokemon? Shame on them, Hoenn had the second most creative designs out of all regions.

INV
December 6th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I generally don't have a problem with the 3rd gen Pokemon, actually, in general, I like them. Sure it had some unoriginal designs, like Luvdisc, for example, but a lot of the designs were quite creative and interesting.
Flygon, for example. Flygon itself is one of my favorite Pokemon, and its line is based on a very unique insect. Or the Lotad line. They're Grass/Water and based off lilypads... Oror Relicanth being a coelacanth- the living fossil.
I dunno. I like 3rd gen Pokemon.

They're designs were really creative,Look at the gen V pokemon,Thats a really non-creative gen I've ever seen.
There's a lot of pokemons that looks like evoulotions of other gen's pokemon but they're not,Such as Tauros copycat and a bigger luvdisc,Thats a fail of the gen V

Azureth
December 6th, 2010, 01:58 PM
One word: Luvdisc. Really, really bad Pokemon.

NekoNekoChan
December 7th, 2010, 01:17 AM
I like the designs from Hoenn Region. They're pretty creative.

syotipoke
December 7th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I don't get it! I sort of like Generation III. The designs aren't exactly crap. I mean, if most Pokemon's stats in Generation III sucked, they would hate them alot.So, how many of them do we have?

KnightKGR
December 20th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Personally I like them :P But to others, they don't like change in Pokemon, so they need to complain about it.
That's how I'm feel about certain D/P Pokemon and the Black/White pokemon
^This.

I'm just like you, though I DO like Piplup and all B/W starters. I only like the B/W pokes because I saw its anime, Best Wishes. Which coincidentally has same initials even though not meaning the same thing. Piplup cuz of the 3 or 4 episodes I saw with dawn using it, didn't watch DP as much as others. Indigo was 2nd place, I saw 25. That's why I love all the 1st gen pokémons.

The point is, at least for me, if I don't see people using them on anime, I'll hate them on game. I know it's weird but I can only get used to them if they are on anime.

bigplrbear
December 20th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Compared to G/S/C, they're very short. I could easily spend about 40 or 50 hours in Gen 2 games, but I'll get bored with Gen 3 games in 10-15

Aoi~♥!
December 22nd, 2010, 12:34 AM
I don't think Hoenn is the worst. I personally believe that Hoenn has the most creative Pokemon designs among all regions. Majority of my favorite pokemons are from Hoenn Region, so yeah~

Starshine ~
December 22nd, 2010, 12:42 AM
Woah, woah o: My favourite pokemon, Jirachi, is from Hoenn. I've never heard the statement that people hate Hoenn xD I've more heard that they dislike FRLG.

Hoenn had one of the best regions ever :3 though yeah, I was a little disappointed there was no story after defeating the E4.

Otherworld9)
December 22nd, 2010, 03:49 PM
My favorite out of all games is the Hoenn region, since it was the very first game I bought and got hooked into it. Not to be mean or anything, but I guess it was good to pump up the complexity in pokemon. I know it is just a cartoon and all, but make it a bit realistic if you know what I mean. Hoenn was a very big change, and I loved the change. The pokemon are awesome and every favorite of mine is in Hoenn. Not only that, but people say the plot is just different...well, in my opinion, I liked the way the bad guy always wins and you defeat him in the end, getting a huge reward afterwards. I mean, seriously. Some say the pokemon designs are too simple in the first series and the diamond and pearl and black and white just made them more complex. To put it simple, Hoenn is the climax in today's world.

Version Five
December 22nd, 2010, 06:24 PM
In my opinion, Hoenn was not one of my favorites, Johto was the best region out there. R/S/E had a horrible story line, map, etc. They had a lot of pointless Pokemon there, Zizagoon, Wurmple, Cascoon, etc, etc. A lot of weird designs, and it draaaaaagggggggeeeeeddddddd on forever!

WatsonIIIXI
December 23rd, 2010, 04:06 PM
Im a child of the 3rd gen, I love them more than any other, I've completed EVERY single mainstream Pokemon game, the R/S/E saga was immense, but I just cannot get enough, I've easily beaten the main story over 20 times since 2005 for emerald, and done everything in the one playthrough , then I reset 2 days before I got my DS, I thought, no chance and left them where they were meant to be, in my memories. But for me, they're by FAR my favorite of all Pokemon games.

DoctorFred
December 23rd, 2010, 04:20 PM
I think it's because of the change in Ken Sugimori's artwork. Compare Gen II's pokemon to gen III's pokemon. It was the biggest change in pokemon history. Even Bulbapedia confirms this. Bulbapedia is always right. Anyway, because of this and the fact that Hoenn didn't have previous pokemon, and didn't relate to Kanto or Johto in anyway, people think Nintendo/Game Freak 'ruined' the series. There is nothing wrong with having a region that doesn't relate to other regions. I mean, you can't have EVERY region related to one another. The concept would just get boring...

On another note, I personally think Gen III's pokemon were the most creative and enjoyable. I know most people, becuase of nostalgia, would say Gen I had the pokemon with the best designs. TAKE YOUR NOSTALGIA GOGGLES OFF. Gen I had the most simple and uncreative pokemon yet. Even the names were uncreative. Koffing, Weezing, Seriously?

But this is the Gen III thread so i'm gonna stop talking about Gen I.

shinyabsol1
December 23rd, 2010, 05:13 PM
Who hates the Hoenn Pokemon? I tend to like the other region Pokemon better, but I still don't hate the Hoenn ones. Besides, without Hoenn there would be no Absol. And therefore no shiny Absol...:'(

Chaos Uxie
December 24th, 2010, 01:11 AM
WHAT THE HELL????WHO DO U THINK U R??? Hate Hoenn Pokemon??Hoenn is the Best Region the starters had the best typing and lookes and stats and all the pokemons were also good and legends were awesome too and u say everybody hates hoenn WTH???

Kaean
December 24th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I dont hate Hoenn pokemon so much as most of them are just very unintersting to me. Thats not to say all of them, and some of them are real gems, but the vast majority of them just arent that rememorable for me.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)
December 24th, 2010, 03:45 PM
It's typically because people are nostalgic and hate change and new things.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
December 24th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I really don't know...I love Hoenn's Pokemon so Much :)
I think the haters just were too fond of Johto to let go...

FroggyKisses
January 2nd, 2011, 07:37 AM
I generally don't hate it, I just dislike it, (I'm sure they're differences between the two)..XD;

The Red Chain
January 5th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I don't think the hatred for Hoenn lies in the Pokemon more than the region itself.
Most people I've heard that hate Hoenn don't mind the Pokemon so much as the plot, the mass amount of water traveling, and the villains. I for one like quite a few of the Hoenn Pokemon, but have a strong dislike towards the plot of R/S and E.

The Pokemon are pretty alright but I kinda wish they had worked on the legendaries a little bit more. D:
They just seem so... lacking for some reason..

Exile
January 5th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I think that Johto is the cause for this. As ridiculosu as it sounds, Johto was very attached to Kanto and the simple concepts fit in well with the Kanto Pokemon.
Hoenn kind of cut those ties and did it's own thing. Hoenn had a varied atmosphere, as opposed to a grassy region with a few caves and water roots, and the Pokemon were obviously
more complex than their predecessors, but not so complex that some of the Pokemon look great, like in Sinnoh.

XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE
January 6th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I personally love them :) Several of my favourite pokemon are from Generation III.

333Bl4ck
January 27th, 2011, 02:37 AM
i just dont like their style XD

TehPsychicTypeMaster
January 27th, 2011, 07:46 AM
I don't hate any of the Hoenn designs, most of them were quite creative. Kanto, Johto and Hoenn had personally the best original designs. Things started to downfall when Isshu/Unova came into play.

MysticFlygon
January 27th, 2011, 11:05 PM
When I first played Sapphire I was catching all of the weak Pokemon of Hoenn like Zigzagoon and Poochyena which led me to think that all Hoenn Pokemon were weak. I found out otherwise when I came across Pokemon like Salamence and Flygon. And I guess another reason I didn't like them was because how much Ruby and Sapphire got rid of from Gold, Silver and Crystal. I really liked the Pokegear phone and of course the day/night system and finding out that those were gone made me walk away from 3rd generation.

KitKat13
January 28th, 2011, 03:54 AM
I don't hate Hoenn Pokemon besides some of my favorites are from Hoenn....

sab
January 28th, 2011, 01:36 PM
It's because some people don't like the style of digimon (me being one), and that's what they're becoming. First and second generation weren't like digimon. Third was inbetween, but fourth is what put me off almost all new pokemon

_.-C~a~R~d~I~a~C-._
January 30th, 2011, 07:25 PM
I don't know... I personally have noticed this too but I think their ok. It's probably because of the fact that the firered pokemon were so cool that it made everything else seem bad.

Ratty524
January 30th, 2011, 09:57 PM
After playing Emerald I can't really understand why people hate on Hoenn in general.

The pokemon introduced were awesome. The badass Swellow with a sweet, abusable ability, The bulky fighting type Hariyama, a great pokemon with unique typing Shiftry, those offensive dragon beasts Salamence and Flygon, the oh-so annoying Milotic, and SPINDAAAAAAAAA!!

The region itself wasn't bad either. It felt so large compared to the previous games and I've always felt there was plenty of things to do as I was playing. Gen 3 as a whole is honestly quite underrated.

white lancer
January 31st, 2011, 03:58 PM
For me, it was a case of broken expectations. I got Sapphire expecting to have new features alongside the old ones--three regions to explore instead of two, the original 251 Pokémon plus 100 or so new ones, the Day/Night system, Team Rocket's return, etc. Instead, so much of that got taken out that I hated the games. The generation has grown on me, mostly because of FRLG and Emerald. Now I think Hoenn has some great area designs and some awesome Pokémon, but I still have issue with a lot of their Pokémon and I still find the water routes incredibly tedious (water Pokémon aficionado though I be) and the whole Team Aqua/Magma storyline stupid. Also, like others have said, outside of Emerald there is NO postgame (which was especially disappointing since I was hoping to have another region to explore afterward). I still think R/S are the worst of the main series games (aside maybe from D/P, which I haven't played often enough to give a good judgment), just because they were lackluster. Emerald is a great game, though, and I do enjoy playing FRLG.

As for the Pokémon themselves, I think there were far too many clones. I mean, Hoothoot/Noctowl and Sentret/Furret were similar in function to Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot and Rattata/Raticate, but they were different enough in design and moveset to make them stand alone. On the other hand, the Taillow line and the Zigzagoon line just seemed like blatant ripoffs of previous generations, as did the Wurmple line, the Skitty line, and the Corphish line, among others. Some of the Pokémon were pretty lackluster as well (i.e. Luvdisc, Chimecho, Wailmer, etc.), although this region does include many of my favorites.

And overall, I think there is beauty in simplicity, which is what made the first two Generations so awesome. As the generations have gotten newer, the Pokémon have come to look more and more like Digimon or Yu-Gi-Oh monsters, and Hoenn was kinda a midpoint between those two extremes--they were simpler than the newest generations but still lacked the simple elegance of the older ones.

Still, Blaziken, Sharpedo, Absol, Breloom, and Milotic (among others) = win.

Sarcastic Prince
February 1st, 2011, 02:46 AM
Things started to downfall when Isshu/Unova came into play.

Actually, things started to fall down when Sinnoh Pokémon came into play.
When people see ugly Sinnoh Pokémon like Purugly (Its name suggests it), Stunky, Buneary...

8 in 10 people will vomit.

Anyways, replying to the topic, it's basically because many of the designs were either ugly or uncreative.
Although Hoenn has many of my favorite Pokémon, for example: Milotic, Blaziken, Absol and Beautifly.

gamefan1
February 1st, 2011, 11:11 AM
oufff i think hoen is the best game amon all generation :P. Moere precisly emerald.

The battle tower was a great challenge i had a hard time finishing all of them (the battle pike is the worst with this stupid kirlia)

The ne w pokemon where great IdK why peple say they suck.Just think about it.

Charizard- Fire flying Typlosion- fire Blaziken- fire figthing

3 great fire pokemon (infernape and the others are just copies of blaziken :P)

No to forget Swampert his ground/water combo make him really hard to take down (quagsire is also ground water but....)

And sceptile the dragon looking grass pokemon XD

Hoen rules :D

Pika-power
February 5th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I absolutely love every hoenn pokemon.

However, I think that the storyline was only kinda good, so I personally gave it a 3.5 out of 5.

Then, again, maybe it deserves 4 out of 5 becuase of the introduction
of growing berries, which I love to do.=D

unchartedpower
February 6th, 2011, 06:13 PM
I liked Hoenn. It was my favorite region, due to it being different, and it never let you get bored. Even after beating the Elite Four, you're only halfway done. Especially in Emerald, where they added the Battle Frontier.

If people don't like it, it's probably because they weren't so ready for something with too little aspects of R/B/Y or G/S/C, and had the natural human reaction of hating on it.

Mute608
February 6th, 2011, 08:47 PM
I like the Hoenn Region a lot. It isn't as good as Kanto and Johto, but definitely a good region (probably better than Sinnoh at least).

One thing that kind of turned me off about it was the fact there isn't day and night. I really loved how they introduced that in Gold/Silver and figured they would carry it over to the future games.

Stuff like the Bug Catching Contest was more interesting than Pokemon Contests in my opinion.

But the Pokemon in Hoenn were good. I think there are a lot in that region that interest me. Sadly it is the last one because I wasn't impressed with the pokemon in the Sinnoh Region (a majority at least).

zapht
February 6th, 2011, 09:21 PM
i think alot of people dislike the 3rd gen games because alot of the original pokemon audience was getting to the age where games like that were becoming lame. although a younger child would still see those games as just as cool, the older original fans who didnt think it was cool anymore saw it as ruining the game they loved as children and grew to resent it because of that.

インフェルノの津波
February 7th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Well considering that some people were convinced Pokemon should've died with Gold/Silver/Crystal, it wasn't taken very well. Though it had great graphics, to be honest it was very repetitive compared to G/S/C.

But still, it had some great Pokemon, most notably Flygon, Metagross, Salamence and my all time favorite-Grovyle. Though Hoenn wasn't the best in story, in Pokemon-it was flipping awesome.

Cool Pokemon actually looked cool, even though Satoshi Tajiri stopped designing in G/S/C, whoever made Hoenn Pokemon was pretty cool. In fact, I think it was better for Tajiri to leave because of that.

GlitchCity
February 9th, 2011, 01:52 PM
People didnt. like changes :\ I didnt know what you guys expected the pokemon for the 3rd generation looked like. Im being kinda bias right now, but the 3rd generation pokemon were the most creative. From typing, to naming, to designs. Many people stopped complaining about them now because most of them are awesome in battle.

Calamity
February 16th, 2011, 04:20 AM
Lets face it, compared to 5th gen, all the Hoenn pokemon look 'original' They also had some of my favourite pokemon in there, Blaziken, Salamence, Flygon etc. And the region is easy the best looking one I think, I mean come on, who wouldn't want to live there!?

masterquestmq
February 16th, 2011, 05:04 AM
I didn't really like it because of the graphics

I mean lets face it FR and LG owned the graphics section in the 3rd gen games

but R/S/E it did have a good storyline and some awesome pokemon
the dive feature was something new although its sad they took away the d/n system.

Phantoon14
February 16th, 2011, 05:20 AM
I think it's hated because of the difficulty of the game was such a breeze it made most of the Pokemon look horrible.

Kendosis
February 16th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Hoenn had some of the best pokemon designs, I'm sure once its remade for DS a lot more people will start to take interest in it.

Guy
February 16th, 2011, 08:16 AM
At the time Hoenn was released, fans were so used to the simplicity of the first two generations of Pokémon that the change the third generation did with Hoenn's Pokémon was dramatic. They Pokémon were slightly more complex, the colors were more defined and the graphics were enhanced. To put it simply, it was different and the fans didn't expect that.

The downside a lot of people saw weren't really in the Pokémon themselves, but the fact that they had no reversible connection with RBGY or GSC. They were cut off from the past two generation with only a limited set of the older generation's Pokémon.

Personally, I think Hoenn introduced some of the best Pokémon we have now. To me, they were more original in design compared to those in Kanto or Johto - which were a bit too simple for my tastes while at the same time too closely related to their real life origins.

Sweet Candace
February 16th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I think how easy the Elite 4 was, the graphics, complexity of the Pokemon and no backwards compatability really made people hate the Hoenn region.

Blue
February 16th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I think Hoenn introduced some of the best Pokémon and alot of my favourites are from Hoenn!
I'd love a remake so we could actually play through a storyline with the Hoenn Pokémon but updated with the Special/Phsical split, EV'S ect.

Ghostie
February 16th, 2011, 04:44 PM
I never hated the Hoenn region, but if it had anything to do with enhanced graphics....then those people aren't very bright.

I'd have to say the biggest thing was no backwards compatibility, which has been mentioned several times. That's pretty sad, too. Because if you take the time to appreciate all the things that the 3rd gen introduced, it's really pretty impressive.