PDA

View Full Version : Handheld Gaming Discussion

Slash Beast ∞
June 28th, 2010, 10:30 AM
You know, my cousin kept bringing this up about how indestuctible the GB was, and I was thinking "this might go good with people that have owned one..maybe they can offer some actual thought with it".

I've never really tried to hurt my game boy, but i remember dropping it from my 3rd floor of my apartment..and it was perfectly fine.

So how many time can you actually remember having something bad happen to your GB and it was still working perfectly fine? (I can remember alot of ocassions, myself...)

HugSomebody
June 28th, 2010, 10:49 AM
xD I wasn't the most gentle with the Gameboy when I was little, but it did survive most of the dumb stuff I would do to it (dropping it, excessive shaking, exposure to extreme sun in the summer...). My brother eventually got it one of those plastic and leather covers for it because he was afraid of it breaking.

The DS nowadays in comparison, though...O.O

Slash Beast ∞
June 28th, 2010, 11:25 AM
The DS nowadays in comparison, though...O.O

Ima just QFT because that made me LMAO. :)

Vulpes bicaudata
June 28th, 2010, 12:37 PM
There's a Game Boy on display at Nintendo World that was used by a soldier in the Gulf War and was caught in an explosion. They replaced the screen and it worked fine.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Game_boy_damaged_in_the_gulf_war.JPG

Fox♠
June 28th, 2010, 12:53 PM
My Gameboy has been through hell and back and still works.

Same with my gamecube actually. However on my 2nd DS now.

Yoshimi
June 28th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Although I don't own a gameboy any more, I remember it being really sturdy. I dropped it plenty of times and it worked fine. They don't make consoles and handhelds as sturdy as they used to sadly.

There's a Game Boy on display at Nintendo World that was used by a soldier in the Gulf War and was caught in an explosion. They replaced the screen and it worked fine.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Game_boy_damaged_in_the_gulf_war.JPG

What a tiny image.

sirboulevard
June 28th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Its so true. There's a reason the classic gameboy is called a "Brick". But that's giving more credit to bricks than they deserve. All my my Gameboys from the brick to GBASP have all taken heavy damage and never stopped working. My DSlite, however, was destroyed from normal wear and tear!

Fox♠
June 28th, 2010, 03:31 PM
On that melted up GBpocket, do the buttons still work? :S

Team Fail
June 28th, 2010, 10:12 PM

That was to hell and back. That's weird that it survived an explosion, or it must have been some unique circumstances.

I always keep my game systems in good shape, and avoid dropping them from high places, as I can't afford to fix them.

On that melted up GBpocket, do the buttons still work? :S
When they say it's fine, and that the Tetris pieces are in different configurations, I assume that the buttons still work.

My friend said that the Gameboy looked like a turd.

Vulpes bicaudata
June 29th, 2010, 05:30 AM
I saw the Game Boy when I went to Nintendo World, and I think it was on a loop. But the buttons probably worked. Oh, and it's a regular Game Boy, not a pocket.

Fox♠
June 29th, 2010, 05:38 AM
http://pauljamesmannering.com/Assets/Consoles/Gameboy%20Pocket.jpg

Sorry I thought it was that GBPocket

Naruto Uzumaki
June 29th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I dropped it on my driveway and the L button got all cracked. Then I dropped it on my kitchen floor which ultimately broke it T-T

Hiroshi Sotomura
June 29th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Every iteration of the Game Boy I've had has literally stayed alive, through drops, accidental water spills, and whatever. Even my Game Boy Advance SP is standing strong after surviving in my pocket. The same cannot be said of the Nintendo DS. :x

Negative-Zero
June 29th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I've dropped my GBA everywhere, it even has a scratched up screen from when i dropped it on cement, and one time i dropped it in a water fountain, and on rocks, i can tell you how many times I've dropped it in my house, even the back is teared up, i have to tape on the batteries now, but it still works perfectly fine....

i feel sorry for it, its like being torchered and having to live through it all.....

oh,well! :P

Niprop
June 29th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Drenched, no, submerged in water, and my GBC worked perfectly. The only Nintendo Console made with true Nintendium now a days is the original DS. Almost a shame.

Mew~
June 30th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Drenched, no, submerged in water, and my GBC worked perfectly. The only Nintendo Console made with true Nintendium now a days is the original DS. Almost a shame.
My original DS was hit against the wall and the top screen went all messed up :\ None of the DS's were very strong... maybe nintendo wants us to break em so we can buy another console and giv them money :|

A Pixy
July 1st, 2010, 05:05 AM
Well it is the brick with the green screen. o3o

Aggressor
July 2nd, 2010, 03:28 AM
I've just found that my DS (Phat -_-) has become dead, it can't charge. Well, time to get a better DS! But... I'm really confused on what to get.

Can someone tell me the differences, I know DSi has camera yadiyah and so on. But tell me which is the better option...

Cheers

Jesh
July 2nd, 2010, 03:30 AM
It kinda depends on how much money you have. If you're short on cash, then I'd say Lite. But if you have the money, and are interested in DSi Ware, then yeah, DSi.

dajman1996
July 2nd, 2010, 03:41 AM
Get the lite you can migrate Pokemon into your Ds game but the Dsi doesn't have a GBA slot so you can't migrate!

Cherrim
July 2nd, 2010, 03:46 AM
If you need a GBA port for any reason or if you don't want to spend as much, get the DS Lite. Otherwise, I'd just get a DSi, either the original model or the XL if you like the colours.

Also, moved this to Other Games.

Sawakita
July 2nd, 2010, 05:39 AM
I bought a gb pocket about 12 years ago, but it has been working only for about 2 years. Then it stopped working completely: it doesn't even turn on. I never knew what could be the problem, so i wonder if anyone knows why it doesn't work anymore?
Thanks in advance

Morkula
July 2nd, 2010, 05:53 AM
I would get the Lite. Honestly, DSiWare is crap - there are a few decent games in there, but nothing really worth the extra $40 and losing the GBA slot. If you get a Lite you have access to the entire GBA library, which has a ton of incredible games. Plus some games require the GBA slot (Guitar Hero) or are enhanced by it (Pokemon) so the DSi is a hindrance there.

Munch Dog
July 2nd, 2010, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I'd go with the DS Lite, have more cash now so you can save up for a 3DS or something. 8D

But really, go with the Lite. Like everyone else has said, losing the GBA slot is quite a big deal if you still like to play GBA games, which I do.

Naruto Uzumaki
July 2nd, 2010, 10:22 AM
Just like everyone else said, I would go with the DS Lite. Its better to have a GBA part just in case you need it.

Hibernator
July 2nd, 2010, 11:33 AM
i both like DSL and dislike it at the same time, i like it because of GBA and as for the reason why i dislike, dont ask what happend but all i can say is i took it a bit too rough playing Mario Kart DS and i dont think DSL is that strong

Åzurε
July 2nd, 2010, 02:53 PM
i both like DSL and dislike it at the same time, i like it because of GBA and as for the reason why i dislike, dont ask what happend but all i can say is i took it a bit too rough playing Mario Kart DS and i dont think DSL is that strong

If it was a fit of frustration followed by a wall-banger, that'll break a DSi, too. If you were actually squeezing so hard your thumb fell through the d-pad, you may have video game road rage.

So yeah. The Lite has GBA support, whereas the DSi has the camera/DSiWare/screen enhancements. I like the feel of a DSi more than the feel of a Lite, myself. But then, I don't actually own one.

shot571
July 2nd, 2010, 04:30 PM
Might be a stupid question but did you check the battery? Even if you dont use the battery it still slowly dies

Aggressor
July 2nd, 2010, 07:33 PM
One thing that really annoys me is when my precious portables start to break. Especially my DS Phat. Not only that. It *magically* won't charge anymore.
FML

Here's an image of the broken hinge part
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/2599/03072010029.jpg

Here's the video of the lack of actual charging - Orange light does NOT flash AT ALL :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z_i8m_NM0A

I don't know how ANY of this happened :P Oh, feel free to post any of your stories :)

Tribal Ebony
July 3rd, 2010, 02:52 AM
This thread is about how many types of Ds they have released. 4. What is the meaning of creating so many gaming consoles when someone can just buy what they want. Its like why would you buy a DSi XL with a bigger screen, when the DSi has a screen big enough already? I am goin gto leave that up to you guys to discuss.

Akeraz
July 3rd, 2010, 02:54 AM
Oh.. the numerous amount of portables I've broken/had broken.
My GBA SP's screen cracked miraculously..
I dropped my DS Phat and broke it's Hinge..
My stepdad came in drunk one morning and vomited all over my Gameboy Color, making it cease to work.

Luckily right now I have a DSi and DS Lite, so if one of them breaks, I still have the other.

Sawakita
July 3rd, 2010, 02:58 AM
Might be a stupid question but did you check the battery? Even if you dont use the battery it still slowly dies

Yes, i did.
I also tried to use batteries of different brands, but the gbp doesn't give any sign of life.

lynds
July 3rd, 2010, 02:59 AM
Heh I bought a DSi XL simply 'cos it was bigger :3 but I swapped my DSi for it so I guess I didn't have to pay much money! I like to have the latest thing with everything I buy :)

Le Creep!
July 3rd, 2010, 03:03 AM
Well, the guy at EB Games said that the DSi XL didn't fit in your pocket as well as the DSi, so I got the DSi. I don't really need a bigger screen, the DSi's screen is probably the same size as the XL's screen.

Jolene
July 3rd, 2010, 03:51 AM
Well the original Nintendo DS looked really ugly so Nintendo made the DSlite which was a lot prettier.

Then they made the DSi which has DSiWare.

The DSiXL is supposed to be for old people with bad eyesight, and in Japan it is marketed only to old people like in this commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIetHurXVjs). But in America Nintendo markets it to everyone because Americans are obsessed with having big things like big cars and things like that.

The DSiXL is not very good because it stretches out the screen and makes things look more pixely.

TRIFORCE89
July 3rd, 2010, 05:19 AM
They make so many version for the same reason any company does anything - to make money.

For whatever reason people will gladly buy old technology repeatedly. And they know this. So....give the people what the want. XD Doesn't hurt them.

Munch Dog
July 3rd, 2010, 02:20 PM
I have a DS Lite and I'm sticking with that until the 3DS.

Slash Beast ∞
July 3rd, 2010, 02:42 PM
The original DS was more fragile than the DS Lite, IMO. That damn screen problem that I've had, my friends had, my friends friends had, etc and so forth...

But I remember dropping my GBC into a lake(Yes. A lake. Pokemon Silver sex'd me out of my last ultra ball trying to catch Lugia and I threw it into a lake), then ironically SWAM to get it back. And it STILL worked. (Lost those damn rechargeable batteries though....=/)

I might not even GET the 3DS. Sure, it might be WAAY better than the DS Lite or whatever, but for them to say that it's gonna have the same graphic potential as the 360 and PS3?? How the hell do you do that for a handheld and not for your Main System? I mean....that's gonna be a lot of money. Better than the $200+ Useless papweight known as the PSP, but still...

..The Magic of Nintendo...

Åzurε
July 3rd, 2010, 03:04 PM
The original DS was more fragile than the DS Lite, IMO. That damn screen problem that I've had, my friends had, my friends friends had, etc and so forth...

But I remember dropping my GBC into a lake(Yes. A lake. Pokemon Silver sex'd me out of my last ultra ball trying to catch Lugia and I threw it into a lake), then ironically SWAM to get it back. And it STILL worked. (Lost those damn rechargeable batteries though....=/)

I might not even GET the 3DS. Sure, it might be WAAY better than the DS Lite or whatever, but for them to say that it's gonna have the same graphic potential as the 360 and PS3?? How the hell do you do that for a handheld and not for your Main System? I mean....that's gonna be a lot of money. Better than the $200+ Useless papweight known as the PSP, but still...

..The Magic of Nintendo...

Uh, fact check: I read that article too. It does not have the graphics of a 360 or PS3. However, it may be close to the Wii. On a somewhat-related note, There's talk of some future games possibly forsaking 3D effects as a trade-off for extra processing power.

Brother, you use a lot of color tags. =/

Yoshimi
July 6th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I've just found that my DS (Phat -_-) has become dead, it can't charge. Well, time to get a better DS! But... I'm really confused on what to get.

Can someone tell me the differences, I know DSi has camera yadiyah and so on. But tell me which is the better option...

Cheers

I suggest waiting out for the 3DS. The DSLite is pointless and has no new features apart from an awesome extra backlight and the DSi has crap on DSiWare. Honestly, the GBA slot is insignificant. It's a dead system that is only required for a few games, and I honestly wouldn't buy Guitar Hero DS for the life of me when I can buy a much better edition on the 360 or PS3.

I want to suggest getting the DSLite, but the DSi is just that much more different than the original DS. But get the DSLite(preferably white so it doesn't get as much fingerprints) if you really care that much about your mediocre SNES ports.

I mean....that's gonna be a lot of money. Better than the $200+ Useless papweight known as the PSP, but still...

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/object3/1869/75/n100894847833_2222.jpg

Agent Clank
July 6th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I dropped my Red Gameboy Advance SP on the concrete several times and it has scratches all over it but it still works very well.

Åzurε
July 6th, 2010, 03:51 PM
You know, I'm rather interested what the homebrew community will make of the 3DS. One the one hand it's a huge step up from the DS, but on the other it's supposed to be able to update itself when it has Wi-Fi access, or perhaps even from other updated systems.

It'll be something to keep an eye on, I bet.

vibratingcat
July 10th, 2010, 02:41 AM
don't really remember doing anything to my nintendo handhelds... but i dropped my psp from the top of my bunkbed and is still working.

Sawakita
July 14th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I bought a gb pocket about 12 years ago, but it has been working only for about 2 years. Then it stopped working completely: it doesn't even turn on. I never knew what could be the problem, so i wonder if anyone knows why it doesn't work anymore?
Thanks in advance

I'm bumping my question for the new page (it was in a personal thread, but the moderator merged it in this thread, i don't know if it was really necessary...)

Anyway, is there anyone that can help?