View Full Version : Emotional video game moments~

July 4th, 2010, 1:23 PM
I was looking for a thread like this and was stunned at how there wasn't a recent one~

Many of us have been playing video games for years and years, and will continue to do so for a long time.
Even though we have spent countless hours pushing buttons and staring at a screen showing some made-up thing, wasn't there a moment where you felt really bad for something happening in that made-up world? A moment where you cried of sadness or happiness, or when you felt like jumping up and shouting out of joy?

What was your moment of emotion during video gaming? Please describe the context and characters involved in the game and moment, so that people can have an idea of the situation.

Mine was:

During Explorers of Time: Piplup and I had gone all over exploring the world, and we had defeated Primal Dialga so that we could save our world from being paralyzed. When it was done, I vanished slowly, because I was from the future, and the job was finished. Piplup started crying and wouldn't stop, and when she was looking at the sunset on the beach, right where she met me, Bidoof came up to her, and all of a sudden, she collapsed on the ground in front of him and cried hysterically. As the credits rolled by, I cried the entire time.

July 4th, 2010, 2:32 PM
Last time I teared up at a game was Crisis Core's ending.
That scene's really touching.

July 4th, 2010, 2:55 PM
Killing the boss in MGS3
The ending to MGS4
The ending to FF6
Rachel in ff6

July 4th, 2010, 2:56 PM
The end of Chrono Trigger when I wasn't sure whether Robo had a place in the new future or not...

Paper Ghost
July 4th, 2010, 5:10 PM
Back when I liked Ace Attorney, I remember like......the ending of the first game made me cry? :/

July 4th, 2010, 5:50 PM
I beat Mother 3 today. Saddest. Game. Ever. I cried. I won't spoil anything, though. It's just one of those "you have to play it" things. Then you'll understand.

Edit: GUYS I JUST CRIED AGAIN. This game just broke my heart. :( Seriously. I feel so sad and I need Lucas and Claus plushies to hug...that way I would know they're okay. ;;

July 4th, 2010, 6:06 PM
The ending to Final Fantasy XIII is very sad.

July 4th, 2010, 7:51 PM
Some moments in the Kingdom Hearts series make me tear up a little. Most of my 'emotional' moments were near the end of the first game and Chain of Memories. The second had a ton during the beginning (poor Roxas) but not so much the end except for a character 'death'. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess had a few moments but the last one was a bittersweet WTF heartbreaker. I didn't cry, but I was shocked to say the least.

July 4th, 2010, 9:02 PM
When Nanako is in the hospital in Persona 4

July 4th, 2010, 9:20 PM
All of my post is rather spoilery. Just know it's Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, The World Ends With You, and Kingdom Hearts Days.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, oh so much. In general I don't play sad games, so the endings to both storylines got me. And Grovyle! ;_;

In TWEWY, Rhyme's erasure was really sad, as was Joshua shooting Neku. Every time. XD
It's good to know everything ended okay, but Joshua was such a... I don't believe in saying the words which could adequately describe what I thought of that dude just then.

The events leading up to the battle against Xion. Roxas is all "What's wrong with my friend?" I nearly cried for a moment or two there.

July 4th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Yes, many many times. And it always came down to one thing:

"I played all the way through this game for hours for THIS?!"

Always involving crappy game endings. I hate crappy game endings. They do make me feel emotional - frustrated, bored, defeated and like I have wasted my time. A game ending should make you feel VICTORIOUS! Instead most of them fizzle away into nothingness and leave you with a feeling you've just been *****-slapped. It's why I just don't play games these days, except Pokemon and Half-Life series because I play them just for the sake of playing, and not to win. Or games where you complete it once and get to play it again in hard mode with new bonus features (only when they're good and they make the 2nd run a lot more interesting. New outfits are just boring.).

July 5th, 2010, 1:20 AM
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess had a few moments but the last one was a bittersweet WTF heartbreaker.

Omg I totally forgot about that ending... It was such a beautiful and amazing game, and the end really shocked me: I didn't cry, but I came close enough :( It's annoying because I still don't get why Midna did that.

Also, let's see my Mystery Dungeon series: I beat Red Rescue Team two years ago, cried my eyes out, bought EoT about 1 and a half years ago, cried at the ending, lost EoT, so I bought EoD, beat it, cried even more, then found EoT and made a new game on it, cried, and then I restarted my EoD game because venusaur looks stupid on it, beat it this morning, and DIDN'T CRY :O

Le Creep!
July 5th, 2010, 4:24 AM
Well, I cried in frustration when Icarus kept pwning me in God of War 2.

Theodore Bruno
July 5th, 2010, 1:28 PM
I beat Mother 3 today. Saddest. Game. Ever. I cried. I won't spoil anything, though. It's just one of those "you have to play it" things. Then you'll understand.

Edit: GUYS I JUST CRIED AGAIN. This game just broke my heart. :( Seriously. I feel so sad and I need Lucas and Claus plushies to hug...that way I would know they're okay. ;;This. The whole entire game is emotional.

Team Fail
July 6th, 2010, 9:12 PM
The ending to FF3/6 on the SNES.
It's sad how Terra watches her dad (Ramuh in Esper form?) die in front of her, and how she looses her magical abilities and becomes a normal human.

As well, it's sad how at the very beginning of the World of Ruin, Celes wanted to commit suicide because she thought all her friends were dead.

On the floating continent, if you don't have enough time, Shadow will die.

In Final Fantasy 3 DS, There are so many people that die, ugghhhh...

That's why the Final Fantasy series is so good.

July 6th, 2010, 10:53 PM

The ending to Super Metroid: the baby self sacrificing itself for Samus was hearttouching

The end to Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, mainly cause they get deep and philosophical and make you sad that the party is disbanding permanently.

End of Paper Mario, something about Peach saying goodbye to Twink was sad.

lastly, in Metroid Prime 2, theres a random scan of a dead luminoth and the analysis comes back that he was only 12 years old and forced to become a soldier because they ran out of adults and I nearly cried.

Paper Ghost
July 7th, 2010, 9:21 AM
Okay, new one. I somehow came across the ending of PMD, Explorers of Sky, and it was SO sad but cute at the same time. *wants this game now, wut*

David Bauer III
July 7th, 2010, 9:23 AM
Kingdom Hearts/Kingdom Hearts II

July 7th, 2010, 9:32 AM
My emotional moment was in FF7. When Aerith died, =( It still hurt whenever I replay the game every year. ^_^ But it truly is sad, also when Cloud went through his spiral and didn't know who he was. Really sad, =(

July 7th, 2010, 10:23 AM
well, i didn't cry, but i went into a depression for a few days after i beat dragon age. that game has a few touching moments any way you play

July 7th, 2010, 10:58 AM
The ending to Final Fantasy XIII is very sad.

The very very ending was pretty upbeat for me, I was so happy Serah came back and Sazh ended up with his son. They did lose all their awesome L'Cie powers which was kinda sad but the ending was pretty satisfying, even if Vanille and Fang did give their lives forever.

The saddest part for me was when the Fal'Cie pulled their "smoke and mirrors" and it appeared that everyone had become Cieth. And Fang was being tortured and morphing into Ragnorak...*shudder*

Also, God of War III emotional ending moment:

Gaaaaah Kratos! You have to be alive somewhere...all the blood trailing off the screen means that he's alive, right? I'm just glad he finally fulfilled his long goal.

July 7th, 2010, 2:13 PM
Final Fantasy II,Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy VII, Crisis Core. There are definitely more, but Final Fantasy always had the biggest impact on me.

Shanghai Alice
July 7th, 2010, 3:08 PM
3 words:

Disgaea, normal ending.

Though the pool of blood helped lighten it considerably.

Le Creep!
July 7th, 2010, 5:46 PM
Well; I have some new ones.

For Red Rescue Team, I cried my cold heart out when I 'vanished'. It was so sad!

Also, I was playing Mother 3, of which I had never played before, and when what's-his-name told me my wife was dead, and that the Drago's fang was pierced through her heart, I sobbed. I didn't produce tears, but it was very upsetting.

July 7th, 2010, 6:53 PM
The World Ends With You. Ending. And the revealing of Neku's cause of death. And Week 2 Ending. BOOHOO.

I didn't cry. But it's still emotional.

July 7th, 2010, 7:01 PM
When Dom had to kill Maria in Gears Of War 2... I actually had to stop the game and cry....so sad...

And after destroying the Companion Cube in Portal....

x Necromorph x
July 7th, 2010, 7:07 PM
The end of Super Mario Galaxy where you Luma leaves to go sacrafice itself to save the crumbling universe.

July 7th, 2010, 10:27 PM
I.. don't think I've ever cried over a video game before. Guess I'm too solid for that. :]