PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

TB Pro
August 16th, 2010, 01:59 PM
So, what are your thoughts on this game. Honestly, this game probably ranks #1 or #2 as my favorite DS game of all time(pokemon/dqm:j are in the top 3 as well). Discuss anything you may like or dislike about this game.

My party are as follows,
Vegeta, the Lv. 15 Minstrel
Trunks, the Lv.13 Mage
Chun, the Lv.14 Martial Artist
Griff, the Lv.14 Priest

Missingno.7-4468
August 16th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Best game in the series by far. I'm a huge fan of the series, and have played either the original or a remake of every single Dragon Quest/Warrior game, and I still think that IX is the best.

My favorite part is by far the nostalgia. I haven't seen an eyeder for a LONG time(Known in the game as a Lunatick). And the cameos of the characters from nearly every game are simply awesome. All in all, it is a truly epic game.

Mirby
August 18th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I've never been a fan of the series... well, not as much as of other series like Mega Man or Pokemon for example, but still.

At least, not until this one. The battle system is still turn-based as always, but it's a lot more lively. The characters move around in a 3D battlefield and stuff. The vocations are fun, and add extra life to the game. Sure, it's a pain to reach revocation, but still. And all the quests are great. Plus, WiFi stuff! ^.^

My current party is a Gladiator, Warrior/Paladin, Priest, and Mage/Sage.

Rokusasu
August 19th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I have an all-female team, currently made up of a minstrel, a priest, a thief and a martial artist. It's a fun game. c:

Missingno.7-4468
August 20th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Oh, I forgot to post my team, smart, huh? >_>

Anyway, my team is in the late 30s to mid 40s in level. It consists of a Minstrel, Warrior/Paladin, Priest/Sage, and Mage/Armemntalist.

I love using the Fource >=D

Esmas
August 20th, 2010, 11:05 AM
This is definitely one of my all-time favourite games for the DS. Though the graphics aren't all that great (I really can't wait for a 3DS Dragon Quest game :D), the storyline is awesome and the gameplay is great. I almost cried at some of the cutscenes, and the game offers a nice big bottle of nostalgia ;D I actually beat the main story of DQIX quite easily; the last boss I beat on my first try O___o I was actually surprised when I played this game: it was a lot better than I'd suspected, being ignorant of this series.

This was my team when I beat the game (and it hasn't really changed much since):

Thor, the Lv. 39 Minstrel
Gray, the Lv. 33 Gladiator
Marina, the Lv. 39 Priest
Diana, the Lv. 33 Warrior

Most people I know had characters around Lv. 45, but I beat the final boss without much of a problem (but a loooooong battle it was xD;). I'm quite fond of the battle system; though turn-based, the names of a few things were questionable (namely "Examine" and "Coup de grâce"). I always questioned "vocations" (as I'm used to "classes" and "jobs"), but I got used to them. You don't see these vocations that often (notably "Armamentalist" and "Luminary").

Overall, $40 is waaaayyy worth it :)

Mirby
August 20th, 2010, 11:34 AM
They used those names to make it more fancy and rustic, that's all. When it comes down to it, Coup de grâce is just a limit break and vocations are just jobs. Just with fancy names.

Oh, and there's the Co-op de grâce that can be done, so another reason for that name.

FinalPaladin
August 29th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Not quite as good as DQ 8 due to not as good story or music, but still a great RPG game, alot better than pokemon games. One thing, me and my friend both have it but we think the game could have pushed a little bit more on the graphics section.

Mirby
August 29th, 2010, 01:03 AM
I'm not worried about the graphics; I think they look great. All I know is that the revamped gameplay is quite fun!

TB Pro
August 29th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I'm not worried about the graphics; I think they look great. All I know is that the revamped gameplay is quite fun!
I agree with this completely. For me, the gameplay is what kept me going through the game. I'll agree, the story is a bit lacking, but I really do love the game in general.