PDA

View Full Version : Do you count tomatoes as fruit or veggie?

November 20th, 2004, 03:01 PM
I count it as a veggie. Fruit justy doesn't seem right for a tomato.

Undertaker the Deadman
November 20th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Same here. I think its a vegatable. Fruit wouldn't make any sense...

nadan the water queen
November 20th, 2004, 03:21 PM
it has seeds, so it's a FRUIT!!!

Alex_
November 20th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Well technically its a fruit, but ill always see it as a vegetable.

nadan the water queen
November 20th, 2004, 03:28 PM
yeah, i was little when my mom told me it was a fruit and i threw a GIANT fit, and insisted it wasn't. i was a funny little brat. XD but now I'M the one calling it a fruit.

deathbyalice
November 20th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Sorry guys. Tomato IS a fruit.

Kayleigh
November 20th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Well, even though it really is a fruit I've just never thought of it as one. It's always seemed like a vegetable to me, lol. O_o Plus, it doesn't taste as sweet as most fruits (...and it's grooosss to me!) anyway, so that's another reason. I was really surprised the first time I heard that it really was one.

Pounce
November 20th, 2004, 03:44 PM
I love tomatoes!! they're so good ^^v

yeah.. they're a fruit, but they'll always be a vegetable to me. o_o

Cassie-chan
November 20th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Tomatoes will always be a veggie to me. Even if it isn't. :P It just never seemed like a fruit...not as sweet.

Dark Eclipse
November 20th, 2004, 03:51 PM
They are in fact a fruit. They have seeds in them! So I vote Fruit :)

Suzu
November 20th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Veggie. if it goes in veggitable soup, I say its a veggie XD

THIRTY-SIX
November 20th, 2004, 03:52 PM
its a freggie jk its a friut

deathbyalice
November 20th, 2004, 03:54 PM
No matter what you think of it as, it wont change the fact that it's a fruit.

Greed
November 20th, 2004, 04:07 PM
I consider them a vegetable. Because vegatables taste yucky to me, and fruits are delicious ;3

*dies*

TRIFORCE89
November 20th, 2004, 04:27 PM
I just found something interesting:

Botanically speaking, the tomato you eat is a fruit. So is a watermelon, green pepper, eggplant, cucumber, and squash. A "fruit" is any fleshy material covering a seed or seeds.

Horticulturally speaking, the tomato is a vegetable plant. The plant is an annual and nonwoody. Most fruits, from a horticulture perspective, are grown on a woody plant (apples, cherries, raspberries, oranges) with the exception of strawberries.

In 1893, the United States Supreme Court ruled the tomato was a "vegetable" and therefore subject to import taxes. The suit was brought by a consortium of growers who wanted it declared a vegetable to protect U.S. crop development and prices. Fruits, at that time, were not subjected to import taxes and foreign countries could flood the market with lower priced produce. (A hundred years really hasn't changed anything.)

In my eyes, its a vegetable. I've never eaten a tomato as if it were a fruit. We eat them with other vegetables at dinner. But, it is a fruit apparently.

On second thought, I'll say fruit-vegetable.

espeon and umbreon
November 20th, 2004, 05:04 PM
I know it's fruit but I think it's vegi. No matter how many people says I think it's vegi. It doesn't taste like fruit and it's fruit, weird...

it has seeds, so it's a FRUIT!!!

Is pumpkin fruits? Because it have seeds... ( I think it have seeds)

Sumomo & Kotoko
November 20th, 2004, 05:16 PM
I know it's fruit but I think it's vegi. No matter how many people says I think it's vegi. It doesn't taste like fruit and it's fruit, weird...

Is pumpkin fruits? Because it have seeds... ( I think it have seeds)
LoL,yes pumpkins have seeds.
Althoe I know its a fruit,I'll still count it as a veggie,cuz fruits are sweet,veggies aren't.

Arch Enemy
November 20th, 2004, 05:45 PM
It is used in cooking as a vegetable, but it has seeds inside so it is a fruit.

Rubberbandman
November 20th, 2004, 05:50 PM
It doesn`t taste look very fruity,and I mainly count it as a vegetable!

^^NICK^^ v.3.0
November 20th, 2004, 05:58 PM
I thought it was a vegetable until this year, when my science teacher informed me that it was a fruit because of it's seeds.

John Denver
November 20th, 2004, 06:12 PM
It's nasty and gross like a vegetable...but it is in fact a fruit by defenition...

meh...fruit

Teara
November 20th, 2004, 06:57 PM
I really think it zhould be a vegetable exception. Pumpkinz are a vegetable with seedz, az are cuecumberz and other zquazh.

I guezz I"ll count it az a fruit zince that'z what it'z clazzified az, but I ztill think the clazzifying people need to change that <<;;

Ninja Retsu
November 20th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Hmm... I count tomatos veggie. But,sometimes,I think,tomatos're freggie.

Shadow
November 20th, 2004, 10:33 PM
What the frik is a 'freggie?'

A tomato is plant... Keep it simple sillies...

November 21st, 2004, 08:25 AM
A freggie is a fruit/veggie. It means you can't make up your mind.

Breakout
November 21st, 2004, 08:31 AM
Um...As a fruit I guess.

Kyosuke
November 21st, 2004, 10:22 AM
Even though it is a fruit, I still consider it a Vegtable because it has that sort of Vegtable taste. But there are something called "Cherry Tomatos" that suppose to resemble cherries.

November 21st, 2004, 10:29 AM
I've tried those. They were nasty. Possibly because I ate it whole...

nadan the water queen
November 21st, 2004, 11:46 AM
it's a vegetable plant, it's a fruit cuz it's seeds, so that now makes it a freggie.

sly_74
November 21st, 2004, 02:29 PM
Despite the seeds, I think they're vegetables. In the dictionary it actually says that they are eaten as vegetables. So I've always held the belief that they are grown as fruit but we eat them as vegetables. (like putting them in salads with vegetables)

Shadow
November 21st, 2004, 02:54 PM
Even though it is a fruit, I still consider it a Vegtable because it has that sort of Vegtable taste. But there are something called "Cherry Tomatos" that suppose to resemble cherries.
Cherry Tomatos are just small tomatos. I've grown them with my grandmother before.

Miyu-chan
November 21st, 2004, 04:39 PM
It's a fruit. xD Well... It does taste alittle sweet... And if you ask me, the tomato is way more fruity then the avocado. When I first tasted avocado, I was like... O.O;

Brittany
November 21st, 2004, 06:27 PM
Considering them to be fruits is one of those scientific 'I have no life so lets classify something that has been naturally one thing for thousands of years as something else that way I can cause some huge scene and provide even more stupid trivial knowlage for our children to learn in school' kinds of things...

Just like how people say your thumb isn't a finger nowadays.

Personally, I say screw science. They try to make the obvious confusing and annoying.

*votes vegetable*

.Socks
November 21st, 2004, 09:03 PM
freggie. becuz it is on the cover of vegetable oil like all tha time and is used in salads but it still has seeds...........**,http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/digiham/HamsterRequests/8265595.gif

*Chikorita*
November 23rd, 2004, 09:37 AM
Considering them to be fruits is one of those scientific 'I have no life so lets classify something that has been naturally one thing for thousands of years as something else that way I can cause some huge scene and provide even more stupid trivial knowlage for our children to learn in school' kinds of things...

Personally, I say screw science. They try to make the obvious confusing and annoying.

*votes vegetable*

Definitely agreed. That thumb thing still annoys me. I say its a finger but everyone else is like, "Noooooo!!!!" XD

LelandLancaster
November 24th, 2004, 04:52 PM

*votes vegetable*

What the heck?! It's considered a fruit because that what part of a plant it is. Since when has that been a huge scene?! It's got seeds and so I consider it a fruit. I personally don't mind people calling it a vegetable, but calling the truth "stupid trivial knowledge" is pretty immature for yourself.

Brittany
November 24th, 2004, 08:31 PM
What the heck?! It's considered a fruit because that what part of a plant it is. Since when has that been a huge scene?! It's got seeds and so I consider it a fruit. I personally don't mind people calling it a vegetable, but calling the truth "stupid trivial knowledge" is pretty immature for yourself.
The fair commoners have considered it to be a vegetable since... forever.

Making up stupid rules about how to classify them according to science does not change my personal opinion of classifying them as a veggie. If I sounded kinda bossy before, then sorry about that.

Cherrim
November 25th, 2004, 06:29 AM
...does it matter? o_O It's just food! Let's classify it as "edible" and leave it at that!

But in all seriousness, I remember waaaay back in early elementary school, we watched a video about vegetables and they had an entire part about tomatoes. It briefly mentioned that fruits have seeds on the inside whereas vegetables have seeds on the outside. I think so, anyway. XD; But regardless, I've always viewed the tomato as a fruit. o_O;

IceKitten
November 25th, 2004, 06:43 AM
I think it's a 80% fruit, 20% veggie o.o

dumbthingy
November 25th, 2004, 07:28 AM
It briefly mentioned that fruits have seeds on the inside whereas vegetables have seeds on the outside. I think so, anyway.Strawberries are vegetables? That's something totally new at all...

Freggie, they can't be defined. I often eat them as fruit although they also count as vegetable for me...

Cherrim
November 25th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Ah, yeah. Triffy pointed that out as soon as I posted that. xD I think they mentioned that strawberries were the exception. Something like that. ;_; It confuses me and I watched the stupid video in grade 6, so I've probably warped up the message they were trying to convey. XD

November 25th, 2004, 04:03 PM
I count a fruit as something you peel to eat or just take a bite out of. You'd never see someone take a bite out of a tomato.

Cherrim
November 25th, 2004, 04:16 PM
oO; I have. *used to eat tomatoes when she was younger* XD

Maybe that's why I've always viewed it as a fruit. XP