PDA

View Full Version : "An Elite Coverup!" Episode Discussion

Gumball Watterson
August 21st, 2010, 02:55 AM
Discussion thread for that episode.

We open with Team Rocket. Nice
Who's stupider, 10 year olds or Team Rocket? 10 year olds... for now.
Remind me to count those candles
Finally, Ash and co.!
Poor Piplup
Damn spoiled Piplup, only Dawn is to blame.
Oh no, who the hell would have a Mime Jr. and sound fishy?
Holy crap who's that old lady?
Nice Grandma
Shut up Brock. Can't wait until you're out
Dawn's Clueslessness = ****ing Priceless
Team Rocket is busted.
Motto Time~
HAHAHAH! GET IT? PINK DUST? HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
What the hell is up with grandma and Ash?
Very smart, Ash.
Dawn is badly drawn right here
Oh god, I wonder which one is odd one out....
Never mind, Team Rocket is stupider
Woah, nice car. I'm surprised this scene wasn't reversed now.
I'm pretty sure Team Rocket should have died from that.
OHLULZOMFGHGETIT?HEADSUPHAHAHA!
Look, Pachirisu!
Team Rocket my foot.
... Wait a second what the censored censorial is that?!
Damn, Grandma's angry
Ash's awe face == ****ing Priceless
Oh Brock, you seriously screwed.
Ash, you're making Team Rocket look smart right now.
I dunno why, but the Pokedex sounds like Navi.
Damn, did that not hurt you freaking overgrown tree?!
Observationsmobservation. Ash can't do that at all.
It's like this stuff is aimed at 10 year olds.
What the, Ash has brown eyes?
Oh Ash, you're not doing anything until you're 40.
There goes our treetle.
No Ash you are not going to... I mean... until you're 40.
Wait a second, it's a car in the anime!

I need more appreciation. The only way for me to achieve this one time is to pull all-nighters. Dude, where's my respect?! I have no life and therefore can only do this XP.

Navidex.

Vernikova
August 21st, 2010, 03:46 AM
Anyway, this was a good episode. Bertha said many of the things I've been screaming at my tv for most of these years though that may have only been the "Be more observant" part. I don't remember. I like the Guillotine returned in this episode since I like the knock out moves in the animé.

What're you whining about this time? Make some sense please.

Masquerainisthajam
August 21st, 2010, 09:56 AM
I really liked this episode. You know, I was kinda half expecting for Magby to evolve after that fight with TR.

Bertha is by far one of the most sensible people in the series. I like her style and the advice on observation...plus she is a fast driver!

Look at the windmills, Ash! Have you noticed that one of them wasn't moving???? Hello?!?!

Haha, Brock blabs about Bertha being in the Elite 4.

First, the Mime Jr. Daycare and then the Wobbuffet Day Care...

Wow, TR powered up their Pokemon, but with armor that failed in Golem's Rock Blast. Hilarious.

Well, it looks like Bertha will get them to the Grand Festival on time, if not way earlier due to her fast driving.

9/10

Fithboy
August 21st, 2010, 12:54 PM
ANOTHER Elite Four member?!

Good episode. Bertha was a bit weird...

Amore
August 21st, 2010, 01:30 PM
Colossal Battle of..uhhh....ton weight pokemon :P

I hope they pay the landowner for all that damage...

I loved the way it span round and round and round Torterra...I wish he'd hurry up and learn Earthquake. Then he could've pwnd him in half the time.

And yes, Bertha's Hippowdon was male. Strangely, the in-game one is female.

Guy
August 21st, 2010, 01:43 PM
And yes, Bertha's Hippowdon was male. Strangely, the in-game one is female.
May she has more than one. n_n;

I liked Bertha. I think other than Flint she's my favorite Elite Member. Her personality in the anime was pretty interesting in my opinion. I loved how she wanted to keep her knowing of being an Elite Four member secret - adding to that, she quite fast for an old woman. xD

I liked this episode overall though. Torterra got some screen time which is always good; just wish it could earn some wins these days since it evolved. :\

PearlShipper4Life
August 21st, 2010, 02:52 PM
Now this was a good episode, I loved every ones reaction to the car that was soo funny, they should show cars more oftenXD Ash reaction to her strength was so cute. And I LOL'd at the Pipulp bashing at the begining HAHA It needs its ego taken down a notch. Fun episode, better than last weeks if yah ask me I also liked Brock for once having a hard time keeping a secret eh Brocko LOL. Over all a 5/5 from me.

Vernikova
August 21st, 2010, 02:54 PM
The CGI was pretty ugly as usual. At least Natsume went with a non-CGI Rock Climb to make it more bearable for me.

okjoek
August 21st, 2010, 03:12 PM
Good episode. Team rocket Managed to give them a good chase besides geting thunderbolted after the first 60 seconds of screen time.

From playing my diamond version I wouldnt have guessed berthas personality 0_o

joacen
August 21st, 2010, 03:41 PM
Bertha gave excellent advice to Ash, however I think Ash needs to GET observational skills first before taking that advice. Team Rocket is obviously not the best when it comes to disguises, but Ash and friends fall for it EVERY SINGLE TIME. They're so naive sometimes. I can understand Bertha's frustration when they were at the windmills. She was like "look closely," and Ash was like "huh? what?" There's definitely room for improvement here.

And why does Ash always challenge much tougher competition? He always ends up losing. I understand that he wants to do everything he can to become a stronger trainer, but sometimes it just seems inevitable that Ash is going to lose, especially to a member of the Elite Four.

One impressive thing about Team Rocket in this episode was the armor they put on Seviper and Carnivine, but as usual, their plans failed (big surprise) and they blasted off again.

All in all, it was another good episode.

Vernikova
August 21st, 2010, 04:00 PM
And why does Ash always challenge much tougher competition? He always ends up losing. I understand that he wants to do everything he can to become a stronger trainer, but sometimes it just seems inevitable that Ash is going to lose, especially to a member of the Elite Four.

Ash is a competitor and wants to face stronger competition to learn from the battle (Even if he never uses the skill again). Simple as that. That's one way he thinks he can become stronger and will take any opportunity that comes. It also helps that you don't encounter an Elite Four member everyday.

joacen
August 21st, 2010, 04:06 PM
Ash is a competitor and wants to face stronger competition to learn from the battle (Even if he never uses the skill again). Simple as that. That's one way he thinks he can become stronger and will take any opportunity that comes. It also helps that you don't encounter an Elite Four member everyday.

You make a good point, and I do realize that Ash just wants to be a better trainer in any way he can. It just seems to me that he's so serious nowadays. He seemed more loose in the earlier days of the series. Now, he's just focused on getting stronger, in whatever way he can. That's just my opinion.

Fithboy
August 21st, 2010, 10:18 PM
That's because one of his next stops is the Sinnoh League!

Jorah
August 22nd, 2010, 02:41 AM
I really liked Bertha's personality, but I think it's a real shame that she had to appear in such a terrible TR-stealing centred episode.

- I swear James said "gaycare centre" at the start o_o
- I'm sure they did a daycare thing in the first Barry episode...
- "Why are you singing?" haha, that made me laugh
- Magby's are so ugly
- Whoa, Bertha sounds scary
- Hahahah, she's annoyed he let it got stolen
- LOL, she's stopping Brock from doing his usual pointless explanations XD I really like her XD
- 3 *people*? -_-
- Urghhh, go away TR...
- Cool, mindmills :D
- "You would do well to strength your powers of observation" "I'll have to think about that" what
- Why did his Pokeball just.;..urghh
- Shame her episode had to be centred around a TR episode
- Too bad Ash never uses his powers of observation after this
- Horrible, horrible CGI

Music kept: (4)

TR Sneaking theme
Route 1
TR Sinnoh motto theme
DPPt Gym Battle theme

I really hope they're using low amounts of music now because they're going to be keeping a lot/all of it at the grand festival and the league o.O

joacen
August 22nd, 2010, 07:00 AM
That's because one of his next stops is the Sinnoh League!

The point I'm trying to make is that Ash doesn't bring as much humor to the show as he used to. Of course he'll want to battle and become stronger, since he'll be competing in the Sinnoh League soon, I know that. He was a lot more humorous in the early days, though, which is one of the things I enjoyed most about the anime.

Hydross
August 23rd, 2010, 07:10 AM
At least Natsume* went with a non-CGI Rock Climb to make it more bearable for me.

*Iwane

Yes, I had to correct you on that one :P

Good episode overall, shame they kept such low amounts of original background music though.

Vernikova
August 23rd, 2010, 12:57 PM
*Iwane

Yes, I had to correct you on that one :P

Good episode overall, shame they kept such low amounts of original background music though.

Bulbapedia agrees with me that it's Natsume though. (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/DP170) Maybe Iwane helped? I don't know.

★Symbiosis★
August 23rd, 2010, 08:04 PM
Well,I loved the battle of torterra vs hipp and ash has got some good advice now and now him knowing how strong just one of the elite 4 is,this will make him train even harder.

Masterge77
August 24th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Discussion thread for that episode.

We open with Team Rocket. Nice
Who's stupider, 10 year olds or Team Rocket? 10 year olds... for now.
Remind me to count those candles
Finally, Ash and co.!
Poor Piplup
Damn spoiled Piplup, only Dawn is to blame.
Oh no, who the hell would have a Mime Jr. and sound fishy?
Holy crap who's that old lady?
Nice Grandma
Shut up Brock. Can't wait until you're out
Dawn's Clueslessness = ****ing Priceless
Team Rocket is busted.
Motto Time~
HAHAHAH! GET IT? PINK DUST? HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
What the hell is up with grandma and Ash?
Very smart, Ash.
Dawn is badly drawn right here
Oh god, I wonder which one is odd one out....
Never mind, Team Rocket is stupider
Woah, nice car. I'm surprised this scene wasn't reversed now.
I'm pretty sure Team Rocket should have died from that.
OHLULZOMFGHGETIT?HEADSUPHAHAHA!
Look, Pachirisu!
Team Rocket my foot.
... Wait a second what the censored censorial is that?!
Damn, Grandma's angry
Ash's awe face == ****ing Priceless
Oh Brock, you seriously screwed.
Ash, you're making Team Rocket look smart right now.
I dunno why, but the Pokedex sounds like Navi.
Damn, did that not hurt you freaking overgrown tree?!
Observationsmobservation. Ash can't do that at all.
It's like this stuff is aimed at 10 year olds.
What the, Ash has brown eyes?
Oh Ash, you're not doing anything until you're 40.
There goes our treetle.
No Ash you are not going to... I mean... until you're 40.
Wait a second, it's a car in the anime!

I need more appreciation. The only way for me to achieve this one time is to pull all-nighters. Dude, where's my respect?! I have no life and therefore can only do this XP.

Navidex.

I swear the writers are on drugs or something.....

I really liked Bertha's personality, but I think it's a real shame that she had to appear in such a terrible TR-stealing centred episode.

- I swear James said "gaycare centre" at the start o_o
- I'm sure they did a daycare thing in the first Barry episode...
- "Why are you singing?" haha, that made me laugh
- Magby's are so ugly
- Whoa, Bertha sounds scary
- Hahahah, she's annoyed he let it got stolen
- LOL, she's stopping Brock from doing his usual pointless explanations XD I really like her XD
- 3 *people*? -_-
- Urghhh, go away TR...
- Cool, mindmills :D
- "You would do well to strength your powers of observation" "I'll have to think about that" what
- Why did his Pokeball just.;..urghh
- Shame her episode had to be centred around a TR episode
- Too bad Ash never uses his powers of observation after this
- Horrible, horrible CGI

I'm telling you, the writers are probably high on something

Music kept: (4)
TR Sneaking theme
Route 1
TR Sinnoh motto theme
DPPt Gym Battle theme

I really hope they're using low amounts of music now because they're going to be keeping a lot/all of it at the grand festival and the league o.O

Seriously, why change the soundtrack at all.....

Vernikova
August 24th, 2010, 07:05 AM
^ Because creating your own music is less expensive than keeping all of the original music.

Jorah
August 24th, 2010, 09:16 AM
It's extremely odd how DuArt/whoever decide on the music. They will keep a track a certain episode, but not another, decide a random episode will keep all original music, but will never have an episode with 0 original music. In the first season there used to be episodes where 4Kids would keep all the music and just add dub music where there was silence. I really can't see how they could think their music is better, if that's their reason. There must be other sorts of costs employing people to switch the music rather than just keeping it there. The whole thing makes no sense :S I really wonder how they decide on which tracks they keep, but I suppose that's for another thread.

Vernikova
August 30th, 2010, 04:54 PM
^ It actually costs less to create your own music. True fact.

More dialogue changes than normal in this episode: http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/comparisons/diamond_pearl/ep170.html

Need to do this more often I think.

smallville123
September 2nd, 2010, 03:08 AM
LOL at Jessie's "How about a swift kick instead." Say what you will about the Team Rocket compared to Rocket Dan, but I don't think the original would be able pull that off so well.

Really good battle between Ash and Bertha. Though I'd rather it be some COTD with Torterra winning, but oh well.

aaronsmith
November 30th, 2010, 02:03 AM
*Iwane

Yes, I had to correct that is you on that one :P