PDA

View Full Version : Character voices you hate!

Chad -
August 25th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Do you hate some character voicing in the anime? Who is it and why do you hate it? It can be English subbed or dubbed voicing.

As for me, Dawn's voicing kind of puts me off sometimes. I don't know why really.

EDIT: In the Pokemon anime only!

Amore
August 25th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Dawn is kinda irritating...

But for me, it's gotta be *murdered repeatedly* Misty, Ash pre-Hoenn, and Gary. Gary's especially.

miley810
August 25th, 2010, 12:45 PM
well,I'm not sure if this counts as an anime,but the voice for meep in Phienes and Ferb,ones meeps got on the mustach univercal translater (I watched that episode earlyer) and I HATE it but I think its suppost to be like WHHHHAT THE HECK IS THAT,THATS A BAD VOICE!Anyways it agervates and I hate that mustach.OH and some times Ash's voice agervate me!Me and my cousuon checked and there all done by girls I think so that makes me think WHHHHHY!

Neelh
August 25th, 2010, 12:54 PM
None of them, really. I know loads of people, and their irritating voices sort of stopped being irritating.

shininglatios217
August 25th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I hate Gary's Latin American voice, and Meowth's English voice, Salamence's English voice and Mysty's Sisters' voices. Especially Meowth's and Misty's Sisters'.

Vernikova
August 25th, 2010, 01:06 PM
TPCI Prof. Oak. Terrible voice. Oh, and MoM Ash.

Recluse
August 25th, 2010, 01:39 PM
English voices: Ash's pre-Hoenn, Gary's, Meowth's, Brock's after Hoenn and Morisson's.
Japanese: Meowth's, Brock's

Tox
August 25th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I can't stand Brock's current voice. I cringe when he speaks. Dawn and Ash also have moments that make me want to turn off the TV. Jessie's current voice isn't powerful enough for me and James' could be so much better. Sorry for being so negative but since the voices changed, they've always irritated me at certain points.

Zaroas
August 25th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Pretty much everybody's voice is terrible. Especially Brock, Dawn, and Ash. No to mention Gary. Did I say Dawn yet?

Yeah. I know I'm being negative, but they have terrible voice actors at the moment. I like the old ones a lot better.

mervyn797
August 25th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I'll have to agree with most people here, Dawn's voice (English dub) is really irritating. And yeah Meowth's (Jap) voice doesn't sound pretty good either.

luf100
August 25th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Meowth's and Jessie's Japanese voices are really annoying, imo. And in English, I went from LOVING James' voice (Eric Stuart) to hating his voice the most on the entire show (Jimmy Zoppi). -_- To me at least, he does a horrible job of even sounding a bit like the previous voice. At least (imo again) Ash and Brock sound pretty similar to their previous VA's, and even Jessie's new VA isn't THAT horrible.

The rest of them don't bother me that much. I guess Gary has a pretty annoying English voice too.

okjoek
August 25th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I think all of them after hoenn are annoying.

But hey your talking to a person who started off playing Advanced Generation games. Emerald being my first.

but anime wise you cant beat may =P and max was a nice tag along.

joacen
August 26th, 2010, 08:29 AM
The PUSA dub has done a good job with the voices over the years. I have gotten used to them. However, Team Rocket's PUSA voices are annoying, especially James and Meowth. Jessie's voice is high-pitched and squeaky many times, if you know what I mean, but it's tolerable. James's voice is horrible, and I can't stand Meowth's voice either (keep in mind, I'm talking about the PUSA voices). Add that to the fact that TR's dialogue is rhyming most of the time.

Piplup's voice isn't that great either, and I hate how it thinks it's Dawn's best Pokemon. The ego has to come down big time.

Atticus
August 26th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Dawn and post-Hoenn Ash. Sarah Natochenny isn't a good enough voice actress to voice a male character. Veronica Taylor's May was pretty bad too.

Quisling
August 27th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Dawn's voice is irritating, but not as bad as Oak's voice. I never listen to what he says.

Assault
August 27th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Dawn's voice it irritating. Ash's new voice is ridiculous aswell.

The S
August 27th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I honestly can't think of any that I hate outright. The main cast's new voices have grown on me, at least the "twerps" have. Rocket still sounds creaky to me and honestly, I don't think there will ever be a replacement for Blaustein's Meowth. Not a fan of Zoppi's Oak, as much as I was Hart's, either.

Actually it seems like a bunch of it stems from Jimmy Zoppi (who does subpar Oak, Meowth, and James). I like his Gary but these three just seem tepid.

SIN1488
August 28th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I started watching the English version of this show again a short while back, and it seems to me the voice actor for Ash and or Brock changed. I mean, it's been a while since I watched the show, but they seem noticeably deeper. I was going to start a new thread, but then I noticed this one. But anyway, did the voice actors change at some point in the series or not?

AceDragonite
August 28th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Misty, Morrison (that kid who god knows how got into the hoenn league and declared himself Ash's rival), and Meowth. I hate Ursula and Harley as well

Jorah
August 29th, 2010, 06:43 AM
I started watching the English version of this show again a short while back, and it seems to me the voice actor for Ash and or Brock changed. I mean, it's been a while since I watched the show, but they seem noticeably deeper. I was going to start a new thread, but then I noticed this one. But anyway, did the voice actors change at some point in the series or not?

The dubbing company changed from 4Kids to PUSA/TPCI after season 8, so from Battle Frontier onwards most of the characters have new voice actors.

Agent Clank
August 29th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I hate Dawn's voice and Ash's Sinnoh voice.
There very annoying.

Weeaboo Name
August 29th, 2010, 08:16 AM
I HATED Ash's original dubbed voice. Of the current voices I dislike Jessie's.

RockHardSemi
August 29th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Arceus' voice annoyed me, as well as Lugia's slightly.

Mewtwo's was cool though.

Lornami
August 29th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I haven't heard enough of the newer voices, so I won't say anything about those.
I outright hated only one voice.

Gary.

Guess who keeps his old voice in the new dub?
I guess I'm weird, I love Meowth's Japanese voice...

poopnoodle
August 29th, 2010, 08:39 AM
ash ketchum

the voice of a middle-aged woman with a heavy smoking habit does not suit a ten year old boy maybe its just me but it's far from cute

Galukxy
August 29th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Mine would have to always be Dawn, her voice just irritates me a lot.
I've disliked her from the start

Turnabout
August 29th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Eep, a lot of the dub voices annoy me :/
Dawn's really bugs me!

And... Gary's... omg...

But the majority of them are very mediocre :v

SIN1488
August 29th, 2010, 10:35 AM
The dubbing company changed from 4Kids to PUSA/TPCI after season 8, so from Battle Frontier onwards most of the characters have new voice actors.

That explains a lot....

ash ketchum

the voice of a middle-aged woman with a heavy smoking habit does not suit a ten year old boy maybe its just me but it's far from cute

LOL

Spinor
August 29th, 2010, 06:16 PM
You posting this here because if you did so in Bulba you'd be banned? >__>

Initially, I hated Ash's voice, but I grew to like it with time. And it improved notably. I also didn't have a good side for Brock's first voice, and I actually like his second voice actor. Just a personal preference situation complex. That's about it. I'm neutral with anything else.

Ambellina
August 30th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Ash's new voice :X may & max as well. Oh I almost forgot about meowth. Hasn't he had like 8 actors since the show started?

pkmntrainerpaul
August 30th, 2010, 09:41 AM
I hate all of them xD
The voices in Dutch aren't really that great...

double trouble!
August 30th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Piplup, May (TPCI dub)
And... All voices = unbearable in Battle Frontier (dub, of course).

luf100
August 31st, 2010, 10:16 AM
I haven't heard enough of the newer voices, so I won't say anything about those.
I outright hated only one voice.

Gary.

Guess who keeps his old voice in the new dub?
I guess I'm weird, I love Meowth's Japanese voice...
Yea, and now his voice actor voices James and Meowth and Prof. Oak too, which makes four characters with his awful voice. Gary was bad enough.

The S
August 31st, 2010, 10:21 AM
ash ketchum

Are we talking current Ash or the original? Because I'm not certain about Taylor's status as a smoker, and Natochenny is far from middle-aged... she's younger than I am.

---
I'm actually surprised to see so much hate for Piplup. I love Piplup's voice :D

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
August 31st, 2010, 10:30 AM
I've always seemed to hate Ash's voice, no matter who did it and in what season. In the rare event that I actually watch the anime, I always have to watch with the sound muted.

Pikachu and Piplup annoy me as well, and sadly neither one is probably gonna evolve :/

SocialD
August 31st, 2010, 11:14 AM
I HATE Prof. Oak's voice haha and I really don't like the new voices for Jesse and James. And Brock's is really annoying too haha

PokemonFansince1999
September 5th, 2010, 03:41 PM
I don't like any of the new voices that much really.

the voices for Ash, Brock, James and Mewoth in particular are very annoying.

The old ones were much better, probably because those are the voices i grew up with, i did start watching the show right back when it all started at back in 99 afterall.

P_S_B
September 7th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Zoppi's James gets a bit irritating in long bursts, but it's close to my father's impression of Stuart's James, so it's not too bad.

Rachael Lillis' Pikachu sounds nothing like Ikue, but it's not heard often, so I'll let her off. (After-all she did do an excellent job of making Misty sound nothing like Jessie)

I recall disliking Giovanni's PUSA voice in that the 1 episode it was in. - heard him again, and he's actually pretty good.

I think most people dislike Zoppi's Prof. Oak, and I can say I am included in that group.

Morrison was intensely irritating, and that's coming from someone who is well familiar with King Kai.

But I think we can all agree that the worst voice in the history of either dub was the guy with the Electabuzz who fought Morrison in the Hoenn League. That was a hard match to watch given that both trainers had grating voices.

AliceBlaze
September 7th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I hate May's voice. That's one of the main reasons I find her annoying.

I also hate Casey's voice, I'm glad she doesn't appear in the anime anymore.

Diablerie
September 7th, 2010, 11:02 PM
But I think we can all agree that the worst voice in the history of either dub was the guy with the Electabuzz who fought Morrison in the Hoenn League. That was a hard match to watch given that both trainers had grating voices.

Definitely.

That was a horrible horrible match to have to listen to...
At least I sorta liked Morrison. The other guy had an extremely irritating personality as well as a horrible voice.

Aquacorde
September 8th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Oh dear lord, I want to punch Gary's voice. (not the voice actor, the voice).

AliceBlaze
September 8th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Is Gary supposed to be ten years old during the first episode? Because like most ten year old boys in the anime, he sounds too old to be ten.

Aquacorde
September 8th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Heh. I don't even know.
But I also forgot about Dawn somehow. She bugs me...
And Misty when she's talking to Togepi. ARRG YOU DONT NEED TO TALK TO IT SHUT UP

angel10698
September 8th, 2010, 11:28 AM
dawn's voice does sound a little weird. it sounds like she is sick or has a cold or something.

i agree Brock's voice is better in the second one. I didn't like the change in ash's voice at first but after a while they kinda grow on you.

yeah gary is suppose to be ten cuz that is when he first got his starter pokemon.

casey? do i mean cassidy?

Ficher
September 8th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Dawn's and May's voices by far. When they talk, they irritate me. I am referring to the English voicing.

AliceBlaze
September 8th, 2010, 12:31 PM
casey? do i mean cassidy?
No I meant Casey. She's a baseball fan that Ash and friends meet during the Johto series.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Casey_(anime)

PlatinumDude
September 9th, 2010, 12:31 AM
I don't like Max's voice (prior to the Battle Frontier). It just sounds...a bit too kiddish for me (even though he is a kid).

Happy Azumarill
September 9th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Garry Oak first season with that childish like i'm gonna win additude really annoyed me.

yossarian
September 11th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Ash's mum and May's voice. Not suprising as they are very similar.

I also dislike Brock's new voice. Decent but not a match on Eric Stuart's version.

imevil
September 11th, 2010, 06:00 PM
brocks sinnoh voice
its annoying