PDA

View Full Version : What Happened to Wally?

Inferny
August 27th, 2010, 08:37 AM
I was pretty young when I played my copy of Sapphire through. I remember helping Wally catch a Ralts, but really nothing else. Did the character encounter him again? Did he have anything to do with the storyline? I've lost my copy of the game so I would appreciate if anybody could give me some clearance about WHO. WAS. WALLY.

Dun dun dun duuun...

Ven
August 27th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Wally's basic role was to take over as rival after May left to study Pokemon.
You met Wally, (I think) 3 times. Once at the beginning of the game, at Petalburg, then you battle him at Mauville, then at Victory Road, where he becomes quite challenging.

Inferny
August 27th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Ooh, you're right...Petalburg when he catches Ralts, Mauville outside the gym and on VIctory Road with his epic Gardevoir. Thanks!

Amore
August 27th, 2010, 09:01 AM
I can second that to be the truth. And in Emerald, you can get a re-match with him in Victory Road, even stronger.

DarkAlucard
August 27th, 2010, 10:02 AM
I think Wally could be more strong, i really love my rivals to give me hardcore battles but it's sad to say thah Wally is very weak =S

Amore
August 27th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Yeah...but compared to May/Brendan, and trainers in Hoenn in general outside Ever Grande City and Battle Frontier.....Wally's the only thing close to a challenge.

Kirbychu
August 27th, 2010, 10:57 AM
I wish Wally was the main rival, I really liked his character.

shawn0173
August 28th, 2010, 10:24 AM
wally was awesome, maybe they should create the game where you are wally and stuff. that would be cool :D

Peaceloveglalie
August 29th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Hopefully, if there are R/S/E remakes, he'll be made stronger. Blue, Silver, and Pearl were legitimately challenging. Wally was a push-over.

okjoek
August 29th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I think Wally could be more strong, i really love my rivals to give me hardcore battles but it's sad to say thah Wally is very weak =S

Hes not weak, he just doesnt battle you as many times. All the charicters have a different personality:

gary- cool and calm

silver- mean aggressive

wally- shy, quiet

barry- can never sit still.

as for wally
I think he suffers from an illness like ashma or something along the lines of that.

AceDragonite
August 29th, 2010, 07:24 PM
I like how wally acts in the webcomic Pokemon X http://pokemonx.comicgenesis.com/
in the games we didn't get to know him TOO much.
I was shocked when he challenged me to a battle at victory road- I was 8 though

more about Wally-http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Wally

dbzmay
August 29th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Wally was a good character, In my opinion he was one of the only good challenges in the game, and he actually gave the game a bit of a storyline. I think that Pokemon should create more characters like this and actually try to develop a game with a bit more of a storyline

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
August 30th, 2010, 01:07 AM
Wally got himself mixed up with Bernie Madoff's scheme and is serving prison time right now.

IIRC, in Emerald, if you rematch Wally enough times, his levels grow until they're just shy of Wallace's. His movesets and team members aren't too much of a challenge, but he is decent experience.

He would have been more interesting as a character if you encountered him more often (and not always to battle). It might have created the impression that he really was your protege instead of being a kid who pops up a couple times during your journey. You would be able to see his gradual growth and learning the ropes along the way. Then again, it would have ruined the surprise of him coming at you with Pokemon stronger than anyone else's in Victory Road.

Amore
August 30th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Yeah, I loved him in Victory Road..

from my memory, does he challenge you at the start of it, then again at the end?

PlatinumDude
August 30th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Yeah, I loved him in Victory Road..

from my memory, does he challenge you at the start of it, then again at the end?
You challenge him at the end of Victory Road.

To answer the question: you first encounter Wally again in Mauville City when he tries to challenge the gym, but he can't, because his uncle won't let him. Then you battle him and he leaves for Verdanturf afterward. He stays there for a while, then leaves. When you're about to leave Victory Road, Wally approaches you and challenges you to a battle. After that, he stays in Victory Road and you'll know if he wants to battle you again via the Pokenav.

As for my opinions on Wally being a rival: I don't think he's cut out for it because he's just too nice.

ROFLCOPTERNZ
September 2nd, 2010, 02:21 AM
as for wally
I think he suffers from an illness like ashma or something along the lines of that.

Wally is a minor character that you first meet outside Petalburg. As he is leaving to Verdanturf he doesn't want to be lonely, so he asks your dad if he can help. You help him catch a Ralts, he is very happy. Nextdoor to the gym is his old house, they say he is moving there because the air is cleaner(he has asthma). You again meet him outside Mauville Gym, he wants to challenge you, if win he promises to train harder. Third is at Victory Road. He challenges you with Gardevoir, if win before you leave he lets you know you can verse him via Pokenav.

I really wanna make Wally a character as EOLs said

Musica
September 2nd, 2010, 06:57 AM
Yeah...but compared to May/Brendan, and trainers in Hoenn in general outside Ever Grande City and Battle Frontier.....Wally's the only thing close to a challenge.

Wally is like May/Brendan's successor of being a rival in R/S/E.

But for being a challenge, you shouldn't forget bout Steven.
Wally and Steven are the most well-rounded trainers than anyone else. Yet, I think Steven's* roster will rape Wally's. May/Brendan are so-so.

All Steven's Pokes have dual types like:
Skarmory(Steel, Flying), Claydol(Ground, Psychic), Cradily(Grass, Rock), Armaldo(Rock and Bug), Aggron(Ground, Steel), and Metagross(Steel, Psychic) which give him a lot of advantage over Wally who only would have Altaria (Dragon, Flying), Delcatty (Normal), Magneton (Electric), Gardevoir (Psychic), and Roselia (Grass, Poison). Though Wally lacks one more Pokemon to complete his team, I still think Steven being more powerful. (Maybe if he gets a Flawless EV'ed Mewtwo, he'll win. xd)

Sora's Nobody
September 2nd, 2010, 11:26 AM
I always thougth wally was a weird character, why was he there, he did have a role. He was just "some kid"

Nathaniel.
September 2nd, 2010, 11:44 AM
I always thougth wally was a weird character, why was he there, he did have a role. He was just "some kid"

Haha, this. Whenever he battled me after meeting him for the first time, I always forget who the hell is he. He was really neither a rival nor a 'tough' opponent to me.

ROFLCOPTERNZ
September 2nd, 2010, 10:29 PM
Haha, this. Whenever he battled me after meeting him for the first time, I always forget who the hell is he. He was really neither a rival nor a 'tough' opponent to me.

Yea i guess so. Like he was trying to get stronger but by the time you actually did get to him on the Vic. Road your pokemon were too powerful, And you do forget him becai=use he never comes back again unless you check your pokenav.

Sora's Nobody
September 3rd, 2010, 04:14 AM
Yeah i know. Infact before reading this thread i had actually forgotten wally even was a rival. Heck i even FORGOT him.

solarowl
September 16th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Wally was cool to me in a way, for having a gardevoir. But other than that, he wasn't that hard.

keshavkd
October 11th, 2010, 04:39 AM
It was kinda hard wen he challenged me in th Victory Road,.... :|

espenn
October 11th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I liked the kid, though I wish he were more powerful. You know, champion-worthy.

BHwolfgang
October 11th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I always did like Wally. Hopefully, by the time he comes back in the remake, he'll be stronger than he was before. Maybe he'll use a Gallade next time around. :)

123wert50
October 11th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Wally was epic. He should be in the another game.

murkage
October 14th, 2010, 05:58 PM
RSE really failed with a decent rival. Its cool that your rival isnt the champion ever game but Wally should of been your Rival and May/Brandon should be a helper like when you battle with Steven against Team Magma. I always change wally and use him as my Bug gym leader in my hacks lol

fenyx4
October 14th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I like how wally acts in the webcomic Pokemon X http://pokemonx.comicgenesis.com/
in the games we didn't get to know him TOO much.
I was shocked when he challenged me to a battle at victory road- I was 8 though

more about Wally-http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Wally

I was just about to link to this, too! What happened to Wally, you may ask? Well, he developed chlorophilia (obsession with the color green), gained an awesome personality, honed his skills, became a bit more psychotic, and went off to traverse Hoenn with Brendan and May.

Whenever I look at Wally's artwork and remember the comment, I LOL. The Wally of Pokemon-X couldn't possibly smile as timidly as Wally does in his RSE artwork. XD

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/9/9c/Wally.png/242px-Wally.png

Owl
October 17th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I'm guessing he became a Pokemon Master or failed against the E4 XD

Apostrophe
October 25th, 2010, 08:37 AM
gary- cool and calm
silver- mean aggressive
wally- shy, quiet
barry- can never sit still. First of all, Gary is an anime-only character. Blue is the name of the rival from RBY. And he's not cool and calm! The only two words you can use to describe Blue is "total" and "prick".

And yes, Wally's condition is probably athsma.

iForever
October 26th, 2010, 12:53 PM
If they're making a remake of Pokemon R/S/E, Hopefully Wally gets a Gallade & you encounter him more then 3 times.

fenyx4
October 26th, 2010, 02:54 PM
First of all, Gary is an anime-only character. Blue is the name of the rival from RBY. And he's not cool and calm! The only two words you can use to describe Blue is "total" and "prick".

And yes, Wally's condition is probably athsma.

It is GARY in all media! http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a311/SanativeStigma/yelling.gif

LOL at your 2 words to describe Gary, though. :cer_laugh:

okjoek
October 26th, 2010, 03:30 PM

I think you got it wrong he's not weak at all infact I lost to him my first time through victory road on my first time and had to start over but tby then I had the place charted out better.

The point being hes strong, you just need to fight him a few more times.

seocompany
October 31st, 2010, 11:46 PM
In my opinion it was one of many challenges in the game, and he actually gave the game a bit of a story. I think Pokemon should create more characters like this and actually try to develop a game with a bit more of a story.

Forever
November 14th, 2010, 07:54 AM
I think Wally is the perfect friend to your character and should've been the main rival. He just had so much potential. XD;

Kevin
November 14th, 2010, 12:14 PM
I remember playing Pokemon Emerald... So I remember you encounter him:

- At the beginning of the game when you help him catch a Ralts in Petalburg City.
- At Mauville City when you battle him since he wantes to fight the gym leader.
- He was mentioned by his relatives in Verdanturf Town.
- Battled before going inside the Pokemon League Building at Victory Road.
- Be able to rematch in Emerald after beating game in Victory Road.

He was your rival after your counterpart left to study with their father Prof. Birch... A mysterious person to me.

Geranyl
November 14th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I kinda felt like Wally was an afterthought... Y'know, having two rivals is pretty annoying, and the fact that he appears very rarely doesn't help his case at all.

The 100 Mega Shock
November 14th, 2010, 05:58 PM
He went on to star in a popular series of children's puzzle books.

Spikey-Eared Pichu
November 14th, 2010, 06:02 PM
That's Waldo...

As for Wally, he was possibly the best Trainer in the game. Better than Maxie, Archie, May/Brendan, and every trainer in-game except for the E4 and Champ. I wish he was around for more of the game though =\

The 100 Mega Shock
November 14th, 2010, 06:12 PM
That's Waldo...
Only in strange countries.

Manaphy.10
December 13th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I would have liked it if you got to battle him a few more times.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
December 19th, 2010, 06:54 PM
In Emerald you can actually battle him more than once if he calls you! You can find him in the End of Victory Road where you first fought him.

♠Dawn Rayne♠
December 19th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Wally Jolly Rancher.... He so totally sucked!

Superjub
December 20th, 2010, 06:08 AM
You challenge him at the end of Victory Road.
To answer the question: you first encounter Wally again in Mauville City when he tries to challenge the gym, but he can't, because his uncle won't let him. Then you battle him and he leaves for Verdanturf afterward. He stays there for a while, then leaves. When you're about to leave Victory Road, Wally approaches you and challenges you to a battle. After that, he stays in Victory Road and you'll know if he wants to battle you again via the Pokenav.

As for my opinions on Wally being a rival: I don't think he's cut out for it because he's just too nice.

IIRC, you battle him at the end of Victory Road in Pokemon Ruby/Saphire, but at the beginning in Pokemon Emerald.

Anyway, I didn't really care for him... :\ I don't know, he was just there, in my opinion. I guess it's because you only battle him twice, and the first time is with a Ralts and no other Pokemon. :\

T!M
December 26th, 2010, 05:52 PM
"Wally has always been sickly and frail..."

I'd assumed he died of cancer.

Kip
December 27th, 2010, 05:56 AM
"Wally has always been sickly and frail..."

I'd assumed he died of cancer.

lol nice...

R/S/E had such a deep and more intensive plot in comparison to the other games at the time (R/B/Y/G/S/C), so I'm guessing the role of the rival was lessened in leu of that. I guess since you were trying to save to whole of the Hoenn region from total destruction from an evil teams (two evil teams in Emerald) as well as trying to win the League, the rival character wasn't needed as much.

Still, I liked Wally. He was nice. Wasn't as much of a pushover in Emerald as he was in Ruby, or at least that's how I remember it.

Jonī
December 27th, 2010, 06:26 AM
I did enjoy Wally and he had a good character design (much better than the player charas of that Gen anyway). Battling him was fun ^^

I hope they revamp his artwork and that he makes some appearances in later games. A RSE remake would be interesting to see what they do to his character

mou
December 27th, 2010, 06:34 AM
He just showed up three times,
and his last battle was really challenging, indeed.

I wished he showed up more in the remake.
No, actually, I wish he appears in the remake and not get replaced.
I really like Wally, despite him being so underrated and all.

Mew~
January 9th, 2011, 09:33 AM
He appeared loads of times, but they weren't anything special - May/Brenden was more of a rival for me, in my opinion. I wish you could have battled them again after outside the Big MART.

Rankurusu
January 12th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Sadly, after steven retired from the champion position, Wally was the only challenging thing remaining in the Hoenn region for me (And he wasn't even that challenging).

I hope that if and when they make the R/S remakes, they make him both stronger, and give him more places to pop in occasionally.

Sirknight
January 12th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Sadly, after steven retired from the champion position, Wally was the only challenging thing remaining in the Hoenn region for me (And he wasn't even that challenging).

I hope that if and when they make the R/S remakes, they make him both stronger, and give him more places to pop in occasionally.

On top of that they should give him more challenging pokemon to go up against instead of things like Delcatty, Magneton, and Roselia.

Blue
January 12th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I'm sure if they remake R/S (which I think they will) they will imrpove his team and change his team rota and make him appear at more times and events, they increased Red's team on HG/SS by about 6-8 Levels.

Symbiosis
January 20th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Wally was pretty good rival.He wasn't to wimpy nor was he to cocky.

sab
January 21st, 2011, 03:40 PM
He now sits there in victory road. I use him for training in emerald.

Toshiro.
January 22nd, 2011, 06:32 AM
Wally was a pretty chill guy, I like him and wish he appeared more.

Hopefully when the generation III remakes come to the surface, we will see more from him.

Pika-power
January 31st, 2011, 04:47 PM
wally was cool! and we only battled him 2 times!
=[

iNinja
January 31st, 2011, 08:05 PM
Game Freak doesn't really seem to add much story in remakes. Even though we only have 2 to base this on. HG/SS was no big difference. Thought you had the Sevii islands in FR/LG. The only gave a bit more depth to Bill. I don't really see them just throwing in wally a couple extra times and profiting from it when you had (I think his name was Scott?) running around also.

Lord Varion
February 1st, 2011, 03:07 PM
Wally was quite the cool kid.
He was the first rival to love there pokémon
But still he doesnt reach his goal of champion.

He needed a bigger role
like battle him as powerful as steven in Emerald.

CHAZ The Cat
February 2nd, 2011, 03:35 PM
Game Freak doesn't really seem to add much story in remakes. Even though we only have 2 to base this on. HG/SS was no big difference. Thought you had the Sevii islands in FR/LG. The only gave a bit more depth to Bill. I don't really see them just throwing in wally a couple extra times and profiting from it when you had (I think his name was Scott?) running around also.

Not actually true. Though I didn't play HG/SS, I know it has a lot more depht than G/S. For starters, it has a lot of the Crystal updates. Then they give you Giovanni, Lance & Clair, second matches, and all the storylines in between. And you must not forget about the D/P/Pt connection, which gives you a lot too.

Back to the topic, I hope they give Wally a bigger role than in R/S/E. As you all said, give him better Pokémon (though I like his alternative choices; he doesn't go with the strongest or the obvious, he has an original team) and at higher levels. I'd like to see Gallade instead of Gardevoir as well. Or maybe both?

As for storyline, he should appear at least one more time before the Victory Road event. Maybe even in the Groudon/Kyogre event. Or maybe searching for Rayquaza. His story is actually good, maybe refine it?

Oh, and most of all, for the remakes,
I HOPE WE DON'T HAVE TO SURF AS MUCH AS WE HAD TO ON R/S!
Just sayin...