PDA

View Full Version : The idea of a live action movie?

TrainerMao
September 14th, 2010, 02:07 PM
So, I found a video for a possibly leaked live action movie on Shogungamer, but because I haven't posted more than 15 times I can't link it. Thought I'd just let everyone know.

Here's the link to the "possible, yet not really" live action movie: [link (http://shogungamer.com/news/live-action-gritty-pokemon-movie-trailer-leaked-shogun-gamer-exclusive)]

Keep in mind that this is more than likely fake if anything, but feel free to discuss the contents within the video and the possibility of "What if a live-action Pokémon movie was made?"

Gumball Watterson
September 14th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I believe this link was what you meant to post: http://shogungamer.com/news/live-action-gritty-pokemon-movie-trailer-leaked-shogun-gamer-exclusive

Now, unlike most people. I'm not going to take a stand on this. But, I will try to analyze all evidence seeing this as fake or real.

For this being real:

Audience was audible
Animations do sort of look a bit efforted.
Possibility of age range expansion did exist for a while

For this thing being fake:

Even if age range expansion was considered, it does seem too extreme and dramatic
Pokemon things aren't usually this secretive. And why would it be shown to a random group of people? This isn't a normal strategy.
Guns? This is Pokemon. What are you trying to accomplish by attracting your current intended age range with your logo to something that mature?

Even though I don't have a stand on the legitimacy of this, I will say that it does look pretty cool.

shot571
September 14th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Ok if this is real I have a real bad feeling itll turn out to be like the dragonball movie (A fail) I hope not though

Gumball Watterson
September 14th, 2010, 03:32 PM
If it turns out like that, the fandom is powerful enough to pretend it never existed.

Dooney
September 14th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I don't know why but I really want this to be true... But I doubt it'll be released in English, that it would be more like, for comparison, the Death Note movies, just English subtitles when released in Britain/America.

luf100
September 14th, 2010, 04:09 PM
It doesn't even look like there are Japanese people in it to begin with... :/

I think it's fake honestly, the costumes and stuff just look too meh to be real. And this is Pokemon, they're huge. If they wanted to make a live action movie, they could probably make it look GOOD, couldn't they? :/ Better than the CG and stuff in this video at least. Ash looks so old. O_o

But, if it was real, I would so see it. xD Just to see what it'd be like.

Jamestotallyisn'tdoingitforme.

shot571
September 14th, 2010, 04:15 PM
If it turns out like that, the fandom is powerful enough to pretend it never existed.
I guess :P but still dont want it to be a let down. I want it to be good if its real.

austin00081
September 14th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I think any live action Pokemon movie is good enough for me!
It looks awesome, IMO, I'm just weary of the gun violence.

Vernikova
September 14th, 2010, 04:34 PM
It's fake. I don't know why people think it's fake.

Kuromi
September 14th, 2010, 04:46 PM
If this was real it would be all over the internet. And why would they use Kanto when we passed it?

PlatinumDude
September 14th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I doubt the movie clip is real. If it was, it would feel out of place because it's difficult to integrate the computer-generated Pokemon in real life.

Eliminator Jr.
September 14th, 2010, 11:34 PM
I doubt there is really a live-action movie come out. Something like that would be far more publicised than just a relatively unknown video on the web. But if they did make one I'd go and see it (although I'd prefer it if they had good characters instead of the anime characters ie. Ash, Misty).

stargate1995
September 14th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Honestly after seeing this trailer I just can't see it being real, it just looks to horrible,the pokemon look awkward like there been bashed by three year olds and guns they banned a pokemon episode for including guns a whole movie is much worse(live action to me also seems worse for guns etc then anime)

PKMN Trainer Alison
September 15th, 2010, 01:45 AM
I Stopped believing when i saw the pokeball.

I highly doubt this will ever be made.

yossarian
September 15th, 2010, 02:27 AM
I'll be honest.

It looks ****ing ****.

Masterge77
September 15th, 2010, 03:44 AM
I really hope this is fake, the CGI is so crappy beyond words, I was expecting the Black and White Master Document this morning, not this crap.....

I've been hearing a lot of people saying that they wanted to make this film before anyone else.....

zapdosa
September 15th, 2010, 04:05 AM
If this is real it will absolutely 100% KILL the Pokemon Franchise.

The trailer alone shows how much of a fail this movie will be. The Pokemon look like they were taken out of PBR and the characters, especially the person who is obviously portraying Ash, look like complete trash.

Their wardrobe is laughable, the special effects are horrible, and the fact that there are actual guns in this is just outrageous.

Pokemon and guns do not mix and it never will.

If this is real than Pokemon will lose a mass number of their fan base and ultimately their whole Franchise as a whole will be tarnished.

If this is fake, which I am 100% hoping for, The Pokemon Company needs to take it off of Youtube as soon as possible.

Guys be realistic here. Mortal Kombat, Dragonball, Street Fighter, Last Airbender were all complete and utter fails to say the least.

Pokemon will be destroyed if they follow this path.

Assault
September 15th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Did that guy just try to shoot a pokemon? I think I might be sick.
They can't put guns and pokemon together, that just completely ruins the whole idea of pokemon. If that is a real film, it has way to much flashing. I couldn't understand the most-part of the trailer due to the amount of flashing.
Definitely a stupid idea and if it really exists, it will fail.

austin00081
September 15th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Not to mention the use of Voltorb as a car bomb, and Mewtwo telepathically forcing Jesse hold a gun to her head, and the death of prof Oak at the end.
If this is real, and they are trying to appeal to the general public with violence, theyre doing it wrong. The only violence the Pokemon series should ever see, it would be intense Pokemon battles. Granted the anime has shown guns, but they were never fired.

The producers need to re-write the script, hire a better cast, and get Pixar on board!

Zaia Katora
September 15th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I can't see this being real either. The only logical explanation would be a college fan film or something to that effect.

Personally, I would love to see an animated movie based on the manga for a change, but I can't see that happening in the near future, either.

Numbers
September 15th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Please please please let it be fake. The CGI looks... Underwhelming. There should be no guns in Pokemon! (Yes I know there was a banned episode)
In saying that though, if this is just some fan made film by a bunch of students then I suppose I'll watch it. :)
If it's a real movie that will be appearing in theatres then I see it being another Dragonball: Evolution and they should just not bother releasing it.

humanking
September 15th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Granted the anime has shown guns, but they were never fired.

thus, meaning that guns in the pokémon world are for show? i guess they can fire it.

Plus, if they want to make a movie for money, they need to target older audiences.

TheConstrukt
September 15th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Pokemon things aren't usually this secretive. And why would it be shown to a random group of people? This isn't a normal strategy.

It's actually pretty common. Looks like a test audience/test footage kind of deal. Producers often dip their feet in the water before going all out. The timing seems right, in terms of a market that might want to see this, so it might be a scarier truth than we think.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
September 15th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Pokemon and guns are fine for fan fiction (otherwise I'd be in trouble lol) but for something that's supposedly "mainstream" it's probably better to keep them out of it.

And this looks terribly low-budget. I would really hope that any "official" project with the Pokemon name on it would have a larger budget and more attention given to the look and quality of the production.

Therefore, I'm calling "unofficial" on this one.

Kid nino
September 15th, 2010, 01:32 PM
If this is real it's going to be bad. I don't think anyone had any issue's knowing that. If it's fake (Which I will decide for myself when I'm not at school) then it's probably just a cool fan made deal. Sorta like with the Bioshock movie and all those fan made trailers that looked good enough that they could be real but in the end none of them were real.

And guns. Seriously, man thats not okay!

Bomberman
September 15th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I really, really hope this is fake. Though I dig the 3D voltorb.

Vernikova
September 15th, 2010, 02:06 PM
It's obviously fake but people are led to believe otherwise because this thread has yet to be closed for some reason. How sad.

TheConstrukt
September 15th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Just because something's a rumor and likely fake doesn't mean the thread should be closed.
Forums are for discussion.

Discuss.

Zet
September 15th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Fake.

Most likely made for a class project.

Vernikova
September 15th, 2010, 04:22 PM
When no other site is taking this seriously, the video nor the information is available on any other site which would've picked this up, the clues in the movie itself (Taking place in Kanto at the tail-end of Gen IV, etc), and the obvious low budget, it's pretty damn obvious it's a fake. The people who are willing to discuss obviously false information on the basis that "Forums are for discussion" are morons.

Infract me please.

Guy
September 15th, 2010, 04:34 PM
When no other site is taking this seriously, the video nor the information is available on any other site which would've picked this up, the clues in the movie itself (Taking place in Kanto at the tail-end of Gen IV, etc), and the obvious low budget, it's pretty damn obvious it's a fake. The people who are willing to discuss obviously false information on the basis that "Forums are for discussion" are morons.

Infract me please.
Reason why I haven't closed this is because I'm fine with people discussing the video and its contents. Yes, it may be fake and I believe strongly that it is fake, but I don't think it should stop discussion on the video and the idea on "what if Pokémon made a live action movie one day?"

If you don't want to discuss it because you believe it is fake, then fine. Leave the thread alone for people who do. u_u

Tyrantrum
September 15th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I can't exactly bring myself to hate something like this... I mean really, they put GUNS in POkéMON! THAT'S FREAKIN' AWESOME! :D at least to me

If there is a possibility that this is real, then I want to see it. I do agree that Ash looks too old, though. :|

TheConstrukt
September 15th, 2010, 07:44 PM
what if Pokémon made a live action movie one day?Exactly. I didn't post just to be contrary. This is where discussion takes off. Given the movies that are out now, what would you think of a pokemon movie released 2011? 2012? And more importantly, can this discussion be had without the usual <censored> that occurs over adaptations being "not ____ enough" or "too ____."

Zet
September 15th, 2010, 08:40 PM
If someone actually did a live action pokemon movie, it would be horribly butchered that no one would ever want to watch or play pokemon again.... besides what kind of story would it even have? The best live action pokemon thing to watch is that Pokemon musical or whatever it was.

Saitou
September 16th, 2010, 02:28 AM
If someone actually did a live action pokemon movie, it would be horribly butchered that no one would ever want to watch or play pokemon again.... besides what kind of story would it even have? The best live action pokemon thing to watch is that Pokemon musical or whatever it was.

Pretty much this, really. I don't see the point of adapting Pokémon into a movie, moreover an action, with guns(?), one.

richdevildog559
September 19th, 2010, 10:53 AM
well this thread brings up mixed opinions so let me throw in mine. ive been looking every where as to whether this trailer is real or another one of those ign pranks. so far i havent found anything other than just speculations and the same stories that shogun received an email about it.

i do believe that it was a private screening. but only to the movie studios executives and select ppl within the business, to show off a possible movie pitch and sell it, just like that mortal kombat reboot trailer. plus there is an actual known actor in there. secondly, guns into the mix is perfect for the series cause not only does it add a different tone, but it also grabs the attention to those of us that r older nd a bit grown up now. cause those of us who started pokemon were about what 7 or older, fast forward from that time, majority of that generation would like to see some gritty violence to the series. and if i remember right, when pokemon came out, there are some banned episodes were guns were used in the japanese versions of the series.

in general, live action movie idea is a good idea for us older generations with the inclusion of weapons being used. brings a more seriousness nd again different tone to it. bad for the younger kids/generations who started late or have recently picked up on it. just means just ur too closed minded to accept something different.
thats my 2cents on the trailer, go ahead and shred this posted opinion

The Mega Champion
September 19th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Does it really matter?

Haven't we seen/heard enough about supposed "Live Action Pokemon Movies"?

Most of them have been fake...

Who knows.

Either way, if this turns out to be real and the movie is like the "leaked trailer" I'll probably bite and go see it.

We'll just have to wait and see until a reliable source confirms it as either real or fake.

That is all.

*leaves*

GFA
September 20th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Not reading this thread, as I've seen this discussion elsewhere, however I will say this. There's SSBB footage in the trailers. So no, it's fake. End of discussion.

The Red Chain
September 20th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I honestly cannot see this going anywhere good. It just feels like Pokemon should stay anime, and not be live action. Ever. That would just be too awkward. It would probably be crappy animatronics for most of the Pokemon, and thus making them seem really unrealistic.

It just does not sound like a great idea to me. Maybe if they did it like the live action Scooby Doo.
The computer created Scooby was actually really good. <3

GFA
September 20th, 2010, 04:42 PM
There's SSBB footage in the trailers. So no, it's fake. End of discussion.

This people, this. I mean, it's obviosu proof.

Kirbychu
September 20th, 2010, 06:23 PM
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l124/GARNGAG/1285034112797.jpg

It's been confirmed to be fake. It's called Pokemon Apokelypse, and it's a fanmade project.

WARNING: Some language, so don't play it too loud at home. ._.;

v/sDX1m0Y2Vkg

I'm actually interested in this.

GFA
September 20th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Graphics look like absolute crap. Scratch that the whole thing does.

Kirbychu
September 20th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Graphics look like absolute crap. Scratch that the whole thing does.
Dude, this is pretty damn good for a couple of college kids. Anyone remember that one that was made with Pokemon action figures?

mervyn797
September 20th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Oh my, so now it is confirmed to be fake. D; I was actually expecting something better out of it, but maybe this fan made project isn't that bad. Decent enough for us to watch I guess?
And yeah that trailer which Kirbychu posted.. lol It's actually quite interesting. Jessie and James have got guns.. I'm going to watch out for this. XD

luf100
September 20th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Hahaaa glad it's finally confirmed for sure. It still looks awesome, at least for amateur film makers. If they ever released a full version, I'd watch it. There's an interview with the film makers here:

http://shogungamer.com/news/live-action-pokemon-movie-full-hd-trailer-and-interview-its-creators

yossarian
September 21st, 2010, 01:17 AM
Ok seeing as it's been established that it's a fan made thing and not official, can someone answer me how the hell can they do that legally?

Ninetendo and Pokemon are the only ones who have the rights to the pokemon franchise including the Anime (the charachters, the locations, the design of the pokemon etc). They simply wouldn't be able to extract any revenue without the explicit permission of Nintendo who despite being greedy corporate *****s, would surely realise that the movie is **** and wouldn't want to jeopardise the franchise. Besides it would ruin any chance of themselves producing a live movie in the future.

mervyn797
September 21st, 2010, 02:38 AM
Ok seeing as it's been established that it's a fan made thing and not official, can someone answer me how the hell can they do that legally?

Ninetendo and Pokemon are the only ones who have the rights to the pokemon franchise including the Anime (the charachters, the locations, the design of the pokemon etc). They simply wouldn't be able to extract any revenue without the explicit permission of Nintendo who despite being greedy corporate *****s, would surely realise that the movie is **** and wouldn't want to jeopardise the franchise. Besides it would ruin any chance of themselves producing a live movie in the future.
It's true that it is a fan made project. And this is actually quite well made and seemed to be very authentic. It very true that this isn't legal but they aren't making it for commercial purposes, are they?
I read the interview with the makers of that clip, and they said that it was plainly made out of love for Pokemon. It was just a side project.

The Mega Champion
September 21st, 2010, 11:53 AM
For it being fake, it was still well done.

I guess.

Can we move on now?

*leaves*

fenyx4
September 23rd, 2010, 09:01 AM
Nearly 2.3 MILLION VIEWS on YouTube in just 3 days?! :cer_disbelief:

Aside from the overuse of guns and mild language, this project seems pretty interesting. It almost chides the people clamoring for a "dark and gritty" Pokemon of . It points out [I]exactly why it isn't a good idea for all franchises should become too "dark/mature". I'd be horrified if Pokemon switched from the kid-friendly competitive light to a darker, mature series like what the trailer depicts. Yeah, adding "mature" elements may help a kids show become tolerable by older fans at some moments, but don't do a complete 180 and betray what the franchise was for originally...

I know Power Rangers RPM sort of went this route (slightly darker to appease older fans, but still intended for kids). Granted, I love what I've seen so far at RPM, but I'm fine with where it is. IMO, PR doesn't need a crapload of actual guns and swears every few seconds to be "cool."

As for the trailer in question, I'd be psyched if the makers completed a whole fanfilm. The plot given seems very intriguing, and could satisfy all of those "dark and mature" needs once and for all. I also noted a poster in one of the image galleries that said "No Pokemon should be Fighting type!" as in, the illegal combat being referenced by the film... The self-contradicting message of the first Pokemon movie comes to mind, but also makes you think about the limits people are willing to cross just to be the best "Pokemon Trainer".

And if I saw the trailer before knowing its true identity, I probably would've called it fake primarily because of the realistic guns. Aside from the Legend of Dratini (EP) and all those instances with non-firing guns, the closest Pokemon has ever gotten to guns is Pikachu and the "firearms" (Ray Gun, Super Scope) in Super Smash Brothers. But it does look pretty convincing on first glance... I feel sorry for any little kid who accidentally stumbles upon it though...they might get frightened out of their wits. :(

Jorah
September 25th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Heh, I actually really liked that fanmade trailer. It's pretty funny in a cheesy way. Best part is 0:13 of the news reel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDX1m0Y2Vkg XD

fenyx4
September 25th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Heh, I actually really liked that fanmade trailer. It's pretty funny in a cheesy way. Best part is 0:13 of the news reel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDX1m0Y2Vkg XD

LOL, someone pointed that out in one of the comments, and then I checked. It's nice that the producers could pull off something so funny in a trailer with such a serious tone... I got a mental image of Gary "MF-ing" Oak saying that to reporters... :cer_laugh:

That trailer's spreading like wildfire, though...a stunning 3.2 million views as of now...about 1 million more than the last time I checked within a 3-day time span! :cer_disbelief: I didn't know it was that big of a deal... At this rate, it might get a Bulbapedia fandom article soon... It would be something indeed if the trailer was fleshed out into a full-length/full-fledged movie... :D

Nyu~♥!
September 26th, 2010, 09:12 AM
EDIT: Just realized everyone figured it was fake already XD Sorry about all the stuff below:

That is by far the worst attempt at a hoax I have ever seen.
-cough- besides my pokemon hoaxes lolz :D

but yeah this isn't very convincing to me.
First of all.. this is Pokemon. And it looks so ridiculously dramatic and whatnot. like, it's a dramatic, a little, but besides that the showcase wouldn't interest children except for the fact that it's pokemon.
On top of that the pokemon CGI doesn't really look like it has reasonable budget.. At all.
Not to mention it looks kind of lame. I laughed when I saw "Ash" for some reason. -pfft-

not to mention. guns. Someone putting a GUN to their head. Suicide? In a frigging pokemon movie.
Fake.

Ok if this is real I have a real bad feeling itll turn out to be like the dragonball movie (A fail) I hope not though

Idk if parents would even let their kids see it .0_e with the guns and whatnot. but yeah.. it'd be a fail. I don't think it really needs a live action movie.

Mew~
September 26th, 2010, 10:47 AM
I loved that! WOAH! I would love for them to make it into a full film :D
Lol, jessie, mewoth and james look addass... even the bit where james is getting his nails done XD
I loved the end of the trailer:
Misty: Whens it going to stop?
Ash: When I've caught them all!~

Virtual Chatot
September 26th, 2010, 11:01 AM
This is the worst abortion of a project ever.

Why resurrect the most cliché lines in the entire Pokemon francise like 'gotta catch 'em all'?

lexxx011
September 26th, 2010, 11:53 AM
That video looks excessively violent for a Pokémon movie. But who knows. I doubt it will be good though.

fenyx4
September 26th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Why resurrect the most cliché lines in the entire Pokemon francise like 'gotta catch 'em all'?

Because that's the phrase (I assume) that drives most Pokemon Trainers to continue their quests to this day (even though event Pokemon and version exclusives can make the feat seem impossible...).

Furthermore, the phrases reference the awesomeness of the original series... Pokemon wouldn't be Pokemon without those memorable lines...
Plus, they're made even funnier when you hear them in a "mature" context such as the one depicted in the trailer... :cer_laugh:

pilerheritage
October 1st, 2010, 01:53 PM
Well there's a new pokemon fan film coming out soon. Not trying to spam..

Just in case you guys wanted to watch the trailer on youtube its called "to protect the world from devastation complete trailer"

Its really cool if you know your pokemon.

Vernikova
October 1st, 2010, 01:56 PM
Because that's the phrase (I assume) that drives most Pokemon Trainers to continue their quests to this day (even though event Pokemon and version exclusives can make the feat seem impossible...).

Most people playing today probably weren't even around when that phrase was created and put to use.

Yuoaman
October 1st, 2010, 02:32 PM
This is the worst abortion of a project ever.

Because it makes all of the characters giant hams, which would be entertaining as hell to watch.

RainbowWing
October 2nd, 2010, 11:09 AM
It would make sense if this was japanese.
Anyone who watched the japanese Power Rangers or the live action Sailor moon series would understand what i mean.

shadowchick
August 3rd, 2011, 06:28 AM
To me Pokemon Apokelypse looked good, but at the same time, it took things a little too far....

I mean.... Pokemon Battles, illegal?! Battles between Pokemon were not meant to be like dog/**** fights!!!!!! And further more, Ash would NEVER treat Pikachu like that!

As a long time fan of the franchise, just seeing Pikachu in that condition almost made me cry....

Other than those details, the film looked good.

I still think it would've been better if a new Pokemon was gonna destroy the world or something and all of Ash'a old traveling companions came back.

Just my opinion.

Zayin
August 3rd, 2011, 08:34 AM
That video is old already :P, and it's fan-made (I'm probably repeating stuff that has been said already after 3 pages hehe). It was a fun watch still, even though James needs longer hair!!! James' hair is really important, yes yes.

Went
August 3rd, 2011, 09:47 AM
Please not revive threads if they haven't been posted in for over a month. Thanks.