PDA

View Full Version : Advanced generation? Old? Well...

Jak
September 16th, 2010, 07:30 AM
I get this weird view of this section every time I come here. Advanced generation has a lot of nostalgia for me. Generation V is on the way though, so generation III is like a middle child that gets forgotten now. But okay, I'm drifting away from what I'm trying to say. Do you view the advanced generation as...well, "old"? Sometimes I still think it's new, because I can remember carefully saving my little 11-year-old earnings to buy Sapphire version. Now I'm 18 and generation IV is in its last limelight and generation V is on the rise, yet I still seem to forget about that and I keep thinking generation III is ~new~ or something.

Seems like a weird topic, but it's been bugging me every time I look in here, mainly cause it's about as inactive as Metal/Color, which are ~obviously~ old.

Saitou
September 16th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Yeah, I also wonder whether the AG games are getting old, with the fifth one on the way, but to be honest, I don't, really. Believe it or not, I still play FireRed from time to time, and have restarted it more than 10 times this year. It was my favorite version and it will stay that way.

I used to go every week to the store next to my house, to check whether FireRed is released yet. I was friends with the owner so he called me one day, and I bought it.

Amore
September 16th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Yeah...I just got to Battle Frontier in Emerald again...god I love that game...only problem is lack of good training spots....I've lost to all 7 Frontier Brains once each (Tucker was nearly defeated, but my attack missed and he got a crit).

I got LeafGreen when Platinum came out....but I still loved it. I think the Advanced Generation is in an awkward position because it's got good colour...but it's the last of the 2D games....Gen IV has 3D, Gen V has newness...Gen I/II has crappyness (graphics-wise, please don't flame me, you know I'm right about that) and nostalgia for a huge proportion of people. Us who started on Gen III are a minority online...as are Gen IV starters (Wait a couple of years until they all get to 12+ and they'll appear, xD)

So...they're old, in years (7) but that's nothing compared to Gen I (13??Or just 12??). They're a bit forgotten, though, sadly.

Kid nino
September 16th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I feel like the advanced generation was the weakest of what we've seen so far. All we got was Hoenn (the weakest region in my opinion) and a remake of Kanto. (Which thanks to HG and SS we have an even better remake of.) Don't get me wrong I really like Sapphire and I waited for a full year to get a game boy advanced just for it. But still, I do view generation III as old. And I have for a while.

PlatinumDude
September 16th, 2010, 07:54 PM
It's been a while since I played an Advance gen. game. Maybe it's because I've been playing D/P/Pt/HG/SS too much and got used to the new graphics.

liketoys0000
September 16th, 2010, 10:00 PM
I wanna play the advance gen,but I also like the old gen,deep impression

solarowl
September 16th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I think Gen 4 and 5 have really grown from these older games, but still, I find myself playing Emerald and Fire red from time to time. I'm kinda used to new features though.

chickenofunity
September 21st, 2010, 06:44 AM
I love the advance gen. My only problem is buying the games now, as my Firered truned out to be fake and died, and I lost my emerald. They are my favourite genartion, probably partly becuase I have'nt got any newer games becuase I don't own a DS, I only borrow friends.
Basically, I love Gen 3, and when it's remakes come out, that's when I'll buy myself a DS, Becuase I love this gen so much.

Anna
September 21st, 2010, 07:21 AM
Gen III doesn't seem old to me. Emerald was my first Pokemon game, and I remember my brother's friend/our next-door neighbor helping me through the first time. It doesn't seem long ago at all, and I still play Emerald. I play it more than I play Platinum, Pearl, and HG. But it was definitely awhile ago... we haven't lived in that house in at least four years.

Quirky
September 21st, 2010, 07:32 AM
Gen. III doesn't strike me as being old. It does strike me, however, as being a game that seems old, because so many people have tried to forget about it. It is constantly labelled as the worst Pokemon generation, a title it doesn't deserve to have. Gen. III will never seem old to me, as it is, and will be, my favourite generation.

donavannj
September 21st, 2010, 11:48 AM
I'm starting to see it as old since my GBA is starting to get like my GBC is, in that it's becoming more fickle about how cartridges get inserted into it.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
September 21st, 2010, 12:12 PM
It's not quite to the point where it's "old" yet, but keep in mind that this is coming from someone who has been with the franchise since the beginning. I don't feel that it's old because the gameplay is similar (where you have to concern yourself with natures, EV spreads and so forth) and the fact that you can still transfer the Pokemon to the 4th generation games, and from there on to the 5th gen ones.

Heck, I'm considering playing through Leaf Green again. Maybe I'll even do a "Let's Play" about it.

Dark Pulse94
September 23rd, 2010, 07:36 PM
Emerald version will NEVER DIE - it is the best region they made yet! sure, the game doesn't have the most up-to-date graphics, but the storyline, the pokemon and the region are Pokemons greatest acheivements - EVER

AceDragonite
September 23rd, 2010, 08:39 PM
Well its not like the graphics got any WORSE when the new game's graphics got BETTER.
Its not old until I can look at the game and say "Those graphics are ancient!"

BHwolfgang
September 23rd, 2010, 09:17 PM
I don't think the Advanced Generation have gotten old yet. That is, until Nintendo decides to make a remake of Hoenn. It could possibly be right after Generation V. I grew up and started with Gen. III, more specifically Pokemon Sapphire. That was about five years ago when it came out, but I can still remember begging my parents for Pokemon Sapphire when I first got my Gameboy Advance.

To be honest, Hoenn is in the middle of the classic and modern era of Pokemon. It was the stepping stone for future games and generations. Graphics improved, competitive battling was formed, fans bashed it for its changes, and Mirage Island is a pain in the butt; Pokemon still prospered. Pokemon, overall, is old school; Gen. III is just part of that.

Kotowari
September 24th, 2010, 03:11 AM
I don't consider it old, as I still play Emerald at least once a week.
It helps that I kinda got stuck in the 3rd generation, as I do not have a DS and do not like to play Pokémon Roms that much. I skipped the 4th generation, as it could not appeal to me at all. And if it wasn't for HG/SS I would have probably just stopped playing the newer games (maybe until B/W came out).

I still remember the feeling when I heard Ruby and Sapphire were on the way. It was a different feeling compared to the announcement of Sinnoh...
I only found out aboutit a little while before it came out. I was not part of the internet community yet, and I collected everything that had pictures of the new Pokémon.
I still remember when the 2nd Generation started to "leak". That was fun.

I agree with what BHwolfgang said earlier, that the 3rd Gen is somewhere in the middle.

mondays suck
September 24th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I pretty much skipped the advanced generation because I never got a GBA, so the border between old and new generations for me is between II and III.

560cool.
September 24th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I grew up with Sapphire, FireRed, Disney and POPCORN. So, whenever I come here, a lot of nostalgia just rises.
And stuff with mom from when I was telling her what happened at school.

"Ah, well, it was... hold on, this guy got a critical ! What, err, what I ate ? Well my Pokemon ate a Sitrus Berry.... NO NO ! What are you doing ! PLEASE, let me SAVE, please..."

I really loved those times back then. :-)
So no, they're not old, but they're old for me, since they were my first. ;-)

mal'akh
September 24th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I'm an old fart. So I'd consider them "rusty", not "old". I still remember the DAY me and my friends were talking about which ones we were going to get, days before they came out. I would never call them old...just somewhat forgotten (but not as bad as spinoffs *shot*).

Pancake86
September 25th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Hmm, interesting topic.
I feel like an old fart myself. When I was 11 or 12, Gen I came out. I loved it. All the middleschoolers made fun of me for liking Pokemon since I was in middle school back then. I didn't care. I skipped generation II. When I was 18 or 19 (in 2005), I bought Ruby and Sapphire and got into Pokemon again. Then I preo-ordered Diamond and Pearl in 2007 when I was uh I think I was 20. I'm 23 now (24 in five days OMG), and I have most of the advance and current gens (except my Emerald got hacked due to my stupidty on a dare to clone a Pelliper, and I never bought HG/SS due to a weird and confusing rage I had at the time). I guess they're old to the youngsters, but hey, I recently met an 11 year old boy (my cousin's cousin who's not my cousin) this year who owns the generation III AND IV games sooooooo I guess they're not that old yet.

Remember, you can transfer Gen III Pokemon to Gen IV games via the pal park. You never know when you'll need the pal park. But hey, i'm just stupid in that reguard. :D

Peach Fresca
September 26th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Nope. I, too, am very nostalgic about ADV games, but I still see them as "new."
Not sure why, honestly.

Virtual Chatot
September 26th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I remember getting Pokemon Blue and a Gameboy for my fifth birthday. I remember mistakenly calling Bug Catcher "Bug Charmander". Of course, that was a long time ago. The Johto series was the greatest of them all, and very few people argue with that. In Johto, our love of the game was rekindled and burned ever the more.

And then came Hoenn. More color, more Pokemon, and a completely new region. I played and replayed Ruby at least twenty times over because I loved the game so much. At the softball park where my parents played, during long car rides, when I visited my dad who lived several hours away. I'm very nostalgic when it comes to the Advanced Generation, as it was then that the "glory years" of my Pokemon experience were carried out. Going over to my cousins house to use his Gameboy Advance so that we could trade over my Eevee From Firered so I could get Espeon in Emerald.

Then came Diamond and Pearl. Good games, yes; but there was something different. The games got more simple, more watered down. That umph wasn't there anymore. It seems like I was just doing what the game told me to do, instead of me being able to explore and experiment. Everything was just too easy, leading you in the proper direction instead of giving you the ability to make mistakes. I didn't even buy Platinum, what was the point? It was just going to be the same story all over again. HG/SS passed by, and I beat HG once and never played it again. With the new generation, I'm not sure whether or not I'll even buy them. My heart lies with the past generations.

Weavile05
September 26th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Heck no! I've never beaten Sapphire once (closer than ever now!) and I'm still working on getting a FireRed Cartridge.

Timbjerr
September 27th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I distinctly remember being a member at PC during the pre-release hype leading up to the release of Ruby/Sapphire and watching as hackers who got the games at the Japanese launch leaked everything about it...so it still feels relatively recent despite the fact that I was 15 at the time and I'm now 23. XD

Ayselipera
September 27th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I get that feeling from time to time. What I tend to notice is that I view Hoenn as separate from all the other generations. I just feel like the Pokemon in the Hoenn region and the region itself is still completely different from the previous regions before it and now after it.

Often times when I think about the possible III generation remakes I'll think to myself, "No they won't be coming out anytime soon since Ruby and Sapphire were only a year or so ago." Even though it's been years. I'm not positive what it is really besides my thought of them being so different from the rest of the games.

Mr. X
September 27th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Gen 3 is the forgotten middle child. Were all in love with the old kids, gens 1 and 2 and the babies, gens 4 and 5.

Essentially Gen 3 is pokemon's Meg. And yes i just made a family guy refrence.

Edit - I grew up during gen 2. But i started on gen 1, pikachu edition. I like gen 3 because its the last of the good pokemon generation. I'll just point to some of the gen 4 pokes and all of the gen 5 pokes. Especially the icecream pokemon and its double scoop evolution.

Tyler Carmine
September 28th, 2010, 11:51 AM
GENIII is my favorite. I loved the story line.

dragoniteuser
September 28th, 2010, 12:01 PM
It depends.
If you play it right after IV. gen game, you think... what... 2D?!
But if you play it for some time, you get used to it, and it seems regular, if not, new.

serabeth
September 28th, 2010, 01:00 PM
To me, it's still the most recent generation of games :X. I don't have a DS, so I can't play generation IV games. My brother has a DS as well as at least 1 generation IV game, but he is insanely annoying and never lets me play. I got back at him by stealing his pokemon from his sapphire into my emerald, but then he got back at me by stealing my 2nd gameboy SP that I got from my other brother and I can't find it anywhere =(.

Anyways lol :P, the most I've played it is when he let me on for like 15 minutes as long as I promised to catch every pokemon I came across. I had never played on 2 screens like that so it was a little disorienting for me, but I liked the graphics. I caught about 5 pokemon before the brat took it back.

So no, it doesn't seem old to me -- it's fun every time I pick it back up again. I always pick 3 different pokemon to level each time and then I use them in the battle frontier for a while.

EPIC Shedinja Hollow
September 28th, 2010, 03:04 PM
It was extremely awkward for me trying to replay Ruby my first time in a while after I had first gotten Diamond. XD I still play Ruby to double up and some Pokemon that I would like to have again. One time I actually went through the entire game with the very 1st 6 that I caught. XD Blaziken... Aggron... Gyarados... Pelipper.... and it's been too long to remember the rest. XD

Katie_Q
September 28th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I just bought a used emerald, sapphire and ruby after loosing my old cartridges. It's one of my fav. gens. I love Hoenn! I don't think it's quite that old yet, but I also don't think it's new. The middle child. I always liked the kanto remakes but it was my first time going through kanto since I started on silver. I sucked at pokemon when I started and never made it to kanto. (though i got a used Red version and am now playing through that)

xDaisuke0
September 29th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Well...it's been years since the release and I think after every new release the old one gets, well, old?

I consider it old but not nostalgic~ Nostalgic is RBY and GSC. As they were on the Gameboy and still felt ..original? While the Advanced Generation games were all new and shiny and colorful. Maybe when the remakes are out i'll feel that way.

Haowakeorden
October 2nd, 2010, 08:14 AM
After a four-year pause, I got back into Pokémon in 2006. Part of what caused that was my experience with Pokémon Emerald. The thing is, I feel that I've been into Pokémon for a long time already, even though it's only been about four years since I started (again). In that case I do feel that Generation III is "old", but that doesn't necessarily mean I don't like it (second favourite generation so far).

Erin
October 5th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Emerald had the most entertaining storyline, in my opinion. I personally prefer the Gen III games over Gen IV; maybe I'm just nostalgic in that regard, but there's just a sense of familiarity to Gen III that I can link to I and II. Gen IV is fantastic, don't get me wrong, but so much changed between III and IV that IV almost felt like an entirely new series to me.

It's old, yes, but that doesn't detract from it being my favourite generation thus far (although V might replace that =D).

Ninja Caterpie
October 6th, 2010, 03:34 AM
Gen III was my first gen, and Pokemon has come a long way since then. Of course it's old.

However, Pokemon ROM Hacking's golden age was and still is in this generation, so the graphical style and all that is still with me all the time as I mess around.

fenyx4
October 6th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I don't think the Advanced Generation have gotten old yet. That is, until Nintendo decides to make a remake of Hoenn. It could possibly be right after Generation V. I grew up and started with Gen. III, more specifically Pokemon Sapphire. That was about five years ago when it came out, but I can still remember begging my parents for Pokemon Sapphire when I first got my Gameboy Advance.

To be honest, Hoenn is in the middle of the classic and modern era of Pokemon. It was the stepping stone for future games and generations. Graphics improved, competitive battling was formed, fans bashed it for its changes, and Mirage Island is a pain in the butt; Pokemon still prospered. Pokemon, overall, is old school; Gen. III is just part of that.

I started with Generation III as well! Sapphire introduced me to the Pokemon world, FireRed allowed me to explore an updated Kanto, and Emerald allowed me to revisit Hoenn with extra goodies added. :) I agree that it's resting in the middle of the modern and classic eras of Pokemon. Generation 3 brought us the last fully 2D Pokemon games, yet was the first to introduce a slew of concepts: abilities, natures, Contests, double battles, Secret Bases, Ribbons, Poke Ball animatons, a revamped IV/EV system, and the Battle Frontier. Concepts that, for the most part (noting some GLARING omissions from BW like Contests), have transitioned into the first games of Generation V. IMO, RSE (and FR/LG to an extent) could be said to have been the unsung rebirth of Pokemon...

IMO, the only thing dated about the Gen 3 games are the graphics and lack of the newer Pokemon... I mean, once I saw DPPt's HP juicy, vivid, refreshing HP bar, the aging process for RSE had begun. Taking a look at more Gen 4 sprites highlighted this notion even further...

I get that feeling from time to time. What I tend to notice is that I view Hoenn as separate from all the other generations. I just feel like the Pokemon in the Hoenn region and the region itself is still completely different from the previous regions before it and now after it.

Often times when I think about the possible III generation remakes I'll think to myself, "No they won't be coming out anytime soon since Ruby and Sapphire were only a year or so ago." Even though it's been years. I'm not positive what it is really besides my thought of them being so different from the rest of the games.

It's weird...though the Pokemon anime was one of my first interactions with Pokemon all the way from the original series, the Pokemon introduced in Hoenn are more familar to me... I could go through Hoenn like it was the back of my hand, yet I still have trouble traversing Kanto in FireRed (mostly because it was newer for me than FireRed, I replayed Sapphire and Emerald more often, and I did not play through Pokemon Red or Blue Versions upon their original releases).

RSE still seems fresh in my mind (I've replayed a few of Emerald's Battle Frontier facilities many times), so a remake would be odd at first... Even odder is that the games came out all the way in 2003, back when I was still unfamiliar for the most part with the "Games" aspect of the Pokemon franchise...

I still treasure RSE with great memories, as they provided the definitive Pokemon experience for me: where there were no such things as "Pokemon leaks", game spoilers, and online databases available at an instant. Each encounter felt like a new discovery, and by uncovering more mysteries and features with each play session, I experienced a feeling of wonderment that all Trainers may relish... *sigh* I had hope to emulate that in BW (mainly Gray Version), but the information has already been propogated on the Internet faster than wildfire. While I have managed to avoid spoilers for the most part, it will still be sometime before a Pokemon game can provide me with the same adventures and experiences as the awesome games of Generation 3 (especially Sapphire, Emerald, and FireRed Versions) did.

Anyway, as I'm going to be stuck in Generation 3 for quite some time until I get Platinum, HeartGold, and Gray Version, Emerald will tide over the wait time... Hoenn's youth will still remain in my memories for quite some time, so while the third generation is aging, it is not "ancient" yet! :)

Apostrophe
October 10th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Depends on which game in the generation. Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald still feel like new games to me, and they actually obeyed their technology limits. The games looked beautiful and crisp. They still look like they could be new games. This is in contrast to DPPt, where they tried to put in 3D graphics on a system that obviously wasn't able to handle it (with every sprite in the game constantly being distorted and kids in the background losing their faces).

FireRed and LeafGreen just felt like they were old, even when they were new. The games were lazily made and felt like they weren't even finished.

Naruto Uzumaki
October 18th, 2010, 02:34 PM
I think they're middle aged, a lot of people still play AG games, but then again I don't.

XDragonRiderX
October 18th, 2010, 02:53 PM
They're old but a whole lotta fun. For some wierd reason, I think the I to the III gen have the best graphics of PKMN.

tigerfangred91
October 21st, 2010, 11:42 AM
I don't play them anymore, but I do have very fond memories playing ruby as soon as it came out and it was amazing.

Itstoppedatumbreon
October 22nd, 2010, 11:16 AM
theve been out for 7 years!!! time flies....
anyway, yeah there old but awsomke. i had bad luck and good luck with the 3rd gen.
lost leafgreen and broke TWO firereds.
bought sapphire and found an emerald on the floor in the park. worked fine

Azure Rathalδs
October 22nd, 2010, 11:24 AM
It still feels new even though it's been out for 7 years. It was/is such a big evolution.

Syvelocin
October 25th, 2010, 09:12 AM
I remember getting Sapphire at Toys R' Us years and years ago. It was my first game ever. I had watched the Anime for years and collected the cards, but never got a game till then. I remember not knowing how to catch them in the game >.< Oh, I was so young and stupid.

That's probably why I don't hate the III gen pokémon like other purists. I am sort of like that though, since I'm not very happy with D/S and what I've seen of B/W, the pokémon don't seem like pokémon in those versions. But I grew up with Gen III pokémon, so I put them with the I and II gen pokémon.

There is a lot of nostalgia for me with R/S/E. I have memories of staying up all night on the floor of my bedroom trying to catch a Skitty (lol), berry blending in the car on the way to the doctor, getting my first three sevens in the slots game at the game corner while getting my hair cut as a kid, and when I got the last beauty ribbon for my Ninetales. Great memories, as stupid as they sound... I'll never forget R/S/E. Even if I lost my Sapphire version, my FireRed died, and my Emerald's internal battery died so I can seem to catch a Snorunt...

At least we weren't the Gen IV babies. I feel bad for them... I mean, they don't seem like real fans then, right? Most never watched Season 1 of the anime and can't list all 151 original pokémon. My little sister only has Diamond and a DS and she says she's an "expert"... *sigh*

I still have my two GBAs and my SP with the Rayquaza case...

Azureth
October 25th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I don't see Gen III as old. It has good graphics and sound and everything.

Garouga! Bare Your Fangs!
October 25th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I don't see it as old, and I doubt it will ever get old. When Pokemon made the jump from Game Boy Color to Game Boy Advance, it set the stage for the crap new Pokemon we have today. Until Pokemon become four-dimensional, RSE will never be old.

Agent Clank
October 25th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I don't think of them as "old", their just "older" than Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.
I think their still as awesome as they were when I first played them.

seocompany
October 31st, 2010, 11:47 PM
I remember very well being a member of the PC during the pre-release hype up the release of Ruby Sapphire and waits for the pirates who got the game on the Japanese launch sank all. it still feels quite recently.

PKMN Dusto
November 8th, 2010, 10:52 PM
I'm 21, I have been playing since R,B,Y. So yeah they do seem old for me.

ZH11000
November 8th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Those III gen games playing..that were the good days. trying to get every legendary and all... I wish I was 7 again.

Haberdasher
November 15th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I still think of the GBA games as the newest games, hot off the presses. But then, I haven't played the DS games, so that's probably why. However, it is interesting to notice that I'm not the only one gaining interest in the GBA games all over again- I've seen a bunch of fellow college kids fooling around with FireRed lately.

Shadow Ball
November 15th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Anything past the original Gold/Silver era still seems really new to me... because when I look back at my childhood, I think of Red Blue and Yellow, and then Gold and Silver. I don't think of Ruby, or Sapphire. That was something that sort of broke the ice to me as a totally different style of Pokemon gaming - and I don't think those games are old at all. The only games I'd venture to call antique are Red, Blue, and Yellow, because I've owned my Red version for 10 + years.
(plus, it makes me feel old. ;o; )

Hiroshi Sotomura
November 15th, 2010, 03:57 PM
And to think that they're almost an entire decade old. That alone is chilling.

But then again, these were the only Pokémon games at the time with "full colour". They wouldn't feel "old school" for a long time, as opposed to playing the Color-generation games. A lot of the Advance Generation-introduced game mechanics still exist in Black and White, so there's not really much ageing here.

Shadow Ball
November 15th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I think the "full color" thing is one of the things that stood out so much as to me seeing them as a totally different style... visually, they still look new to me, they look similar to the newest games... They don't have that aged feel that the original games on the Gameboy Color do. It's also weird to think how long ago they came out. I never really think about it. Time flies. @_@

Yuoaman
November 16th, 2010, 12:30 AM
None of the generations are old, don't call me old. :<

Really though, Pokemon games don't really seem to age for me, and I enjoy every generation pretty much equally depending on the mood I'm in at the time.

Shiny Gardevoir
November 20th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I don't really see it as old, but if we're talking about red, yellow, blue or even green versions... Silver, gold and crystal... Now those are old...

Mewtwo152
November 24th, 2010, 04:57 AM
I really don't see them as old, because I don't see the GBA as old. The 1st and 2nd gens were released in the Game Boy's wayning days, but R/S wasn't, which made them feel old as D/P was released.
I think they were the first games I got on release, getting Red a year after it was released, and Silver with my GBA on my 2001 birthday.
Basically, Gen III is in a weird place; a stepping stone between 8-bit Pokemon, and the 'modern' era of the DS. The fact that there's interconnection between III and IV, and that there wasn't an overhaul of the stats system between them helps Gen III feel modern.

pjofan
November 24th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Ruby was my first Pokemon game ever. It seems like so long ago too. I remember liking it so much that I got Sapphire. Then for lack of newer games, I got Gold, Silver, and Yellow. Ruby and Sapphire remain my favorite Pokemon games.

Sadly, I have a friend who had no idea Hoenn existed. He went straight from Gold and Silver to Diamond and Pearl. I was playing it and he had no idea what game it was, because the graphics are like a mix of second and fourth games.

Third generation does seem like such a long time ago to me, considering that was seven years ago. Half my life I've had Ruby and Sapphire!

RivalGator
November 24th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I usually can't imagine G/S/C that old actually.
I know that compared to the newer games they have been made obsolete, but...

I still remember the day I bought Gold. The first time I had ever even laid hands on a Pokemon game and the first time I ever played it. I loved every second of it. My first good Nintendo experience. ^_^

Krizor
November 24th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I don't consider the 3rd Gen games old since they're still compatible with the 4th Gen games and some of the current DS systems.

femtrooper
November 24th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I don't think they are old yet because I just played FireRed not that long ago and I think it looks alright! When a game is good, a game is good.

Weavile05
November 25th, 2010, 07:03 AM
It may be old, but I just beat Sapphire for the first time (as far as beating E4 and catching Regis anyway) ever. And now I'm restarting again!

Aera
November 25th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Now that you mentioned it, I feel old... xD; My first game ever was Emerald, and, well, it's the first game that introduced me to the world of Pokemon. But, it's only been 3-4 years since I last played it, so... I don't think it's that old, right...?

InfernoRogue
November 26th, 2010, 11:02 PM
I don't consider them old, however at the same time, they were still a major part of my childhood.
For some reason, Pokemon games never feel 'old' to me.

MysticFlames
December 5th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I don't see 3rd gen games as old for probably several reasons:
-I bought a GBA a bit late (like a while after the release of the SP... but before Emerald, I guess?), and thus I started playing R/S a little into in the generation.
-I've recently restarted Emerald and XD, and have 3rd gen on the brain.
-Have been working on a rom hack of FireRed which involves completely delving into 3rd gen.

I dunno. It just feels like it would be hard to see them as "old" because the graphical jump from 2nd and 3rd was pretty huge, and still looks pretty similar to 4th gen games.

BenjiTheKid
December 6th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Definitely an interesting topic. I'm kind of like you. I have this part of me that thinks of it as old, because I remember begging my mom for it for Christmas when I was in like middle school. I finally got Sapphire out of her, and that was it. The game certainly isn't as nostalgic for me as Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, and Crystal are. I guess because I pretty much stopped playing for the longest time after Sapphire. That was literally it for me. So, there's another part of me that wants to think it's new. I remember the first 150 (er, 151) Pokemon and then many from the second gen. That's how I want to remember it. I love the newer generations, don't get me wrong... but I think, to me, even ten years from now... S/R/E and D/P/P will still be the "new" ones.

KtTuLu
December 7th, 2010, 05:09 AM
I view every pokemon game before the DS old
I really don't like all the new stuff that Nintendo has implemented, some of the funnest times of my childhood was playing Silver on a non-color regular Gameboy and just battling all of my friends
I liked the simplicity of the old games

Just thinking back to first getting Silver and Ruby takes me back to elementary school

I can't believe how advanced the games have become.
It seems like to me that the old games will be forgotten; the new children growing up with D/P/P and B/W won't have the patience for the old graphics and gameplay, I don't think

XDragonRiderX
December 8th, 2010, 08:42 PM
NOT OLD. FR was the first game I got, that got me into PKMN. Nostolgia.... trading a Mewtwo for a masterball, then having my friend lose his FR.... good times.

QuilavaKing
December 8th, 2010, 11:46 PM
The only people who think these games are old are younger than the games are.

Brendino
December 9th, 2010, 12:43 AM
I never realized that the games were already 7 years old. I guess it might be due to the fact that I don't actually own any of the DS games, but it seems like just yesterday that I opened up my SP and Sapphire on Christmas morning.

L5Animations
December 10th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I don't consider any generation old. They're all awesome, if fact I still play Crystal and Emerald a lot.

Joelteon1
December 21st, 2010, 10:15 AM
Even though I started playing Pokemon as soon as Red and Blue came out, Gen III is the undisputed champ in my mind. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed with Gen II, which, I thought, had boring starters and a boring region. FireRed and LeafGreen were great as they revived the Kanto that had been nuked by Gen II.
To this day, I play all of the games, but Sapphire is my favorite.

CHAZ The Cat
December 22nd, 2010, 10:20 AM
I agree with the post above.
FireRed and LeafGreen are great because they have revived the Red and Blue nostalgia, with way better graphics, and a few surprises.
And for us players who started their journeys in Red, Blue and Yellow, that nostalgia is the best!
I still remember the first time I even discovered the Unknown Dungeon, and what I thought was Mew, but it was actually Mewtwo! There was no knowledge about anything yet! Those were the times. Now it's all done and redone on the Internet.
The third Gen was the epic Gen, in my opinion. Not only for bringing back Red and Blue, but also because it was the last tolerable Pokémon adventure evolution in Ruby Sapphire and Emerald. And at least for me, who have been playing from the start, the games just lost their magic since Emerald.
That's why I'm sticking to my Ruby and FireRed.

Weavile05
December 22nd, 2010, 10:36 AM
I view every pokemon game before the DS old
I really don't like all the new stuff that Nintendo has implemented, some of the funnest times of my childhood was playing Silver on a non-color regular Gameboy and just battling all of my friends
I liked the simplicity of the old games

Just thinking back to first getting Silver and Ruby takes me back to elementary school

I can't believe how advanced the games have become.
It seems like to me that the old games will be forgotten; the new children growing up with D/P/P and B/W won't have the patience for the old graphics and gameplay, I don't think

I feel you on that last part. My first game was Diamond, and I could barely play 1st and second gen at first. 3rd was tolerable though.

Aerosignus
January 15th, 2011, 12:04 AM
I don't view games as old. I simply don't. But I do view if there is a game better than it. Whether it be graphic or story wise.

Pokemon Ruby isn't old. Not to me, anyway.

Amore
January 15th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Well, as I've mentioned in my own thread, and countless times in others, these games still hold re-play value for me. And now I've seen it says "compatible with Nintendo DS" on the back of my Emerald box, I really don't consider that old (although the battered box from my second-hand LeafGreen copy states otherwise, despite only being 1 year older).

When I remember that Emerald was my first, it seems old, but overall it doesn't.

Sert908
January 15th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I know what you mean, Pokemon Emerald was the first pokemon game I bought (I was 9-10 at that time) and I have probably restarted that game over 10 times. I love the Hoenn series, and I also love LeafGreen.

sab
January 28th, 2011, 01:45 PM
I've been playing emerald for a long time, and even though I take breaks, I never give up on playing it. I've currently got 750+ hours on it with the secret box covers all tried. I've had the enigma berry, got four trainer stars, and have my ultimate pokemon team on there. I don't like 4th gen so I play this instead. It may be old, but I still love it, cause generation 3 will never lose its flair!

white lancer
January 31st, 2011, 01:42 PM
I don't consider it old, despite the fact that I've probably played through my GenIII games (Sapphire, Emerald, LeafGreen, and FireRed) almost as much as either of the previous generations, for a few reasons:

1. They're on the GBA and in full color--the graphics aren't really dated at all, and I actually prefer this style to that used in D/P.
2. I grew up with RBY and GSC and was a continuous fan of Pokémon between those games, whereas I took a long hiatus from the franchise before RS came out and again before FRLG and Emerald came out.
3. I've only played one GenIV game (Diamond), and only once. I've started Soul Silver, but to me RSE and FRLG are the newest generation just because Diamond was so forgettable.
4. They're a midway point between the awesome Pokémon of the GBC games and the terrible Pokémon (just my opinion) of the DS games.
5. I grew up with the anime of Kanto/Orange Islands and partially Johto, whereas I've only seen scattered episodes of Hoenn.

So, yeah. I think reason #2 is the biggest reason I don't consider them "old." They don't really have the nostalgia factor for me (well, FRLG do, kinda, but that's because they were based off of RBY).

vaporeon7
February 12th, 2011, 12:26 AM
They would seem older to me if they couldn't connect to the present games.

XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE
February 12th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Not at all lol - I'm currently playing this generation! :) It's the most "modern" that I have, so I always regard it as new-ish lol :)

(I don't have a DS which is why I haven't played Gens 4 & 5, but I'm still clued up about them lol) :)

GlitchCity
February 12th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I dont really consider it old, but looking at it now, I was 8 years old. Its almost been 10 years since I started my journey through the Hoenn region. But Im still playing Emerald, and I say to myself that its still up to date, even though it really isnt xD

Well it may seem old, but it doesnt feel old to me. They're not ancient like Red/Blue :P

trevman727
February 12th, 2011, 02:22 PM
I'll only consider it old when you can't transfer your Pokemon to the next generation.

-Cygnus-
February 18th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Not at all lol - I'm currently playing this generation! :) It's the most "modern" that I have, so I always regard it as new-ish lol :)

(I don't have a DS which is why I haven't played Gens 4 & 5, but I'm still clued up about them lol) :)

Ditto. I don't think I will be buying a DS anytime ever soon, so Gen III works well for me. It's the newest I have so it's new in my book lol

PiPVoda
February 18th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Yes the advanced gen does seem sort of old. I do think about it from time to time, remembering eight years ago when the games first came out. Then I think of today's games and say wow pokemon has changed in such a short amount of time. So essentially yes the games are old: older pokemon, older region, older graphics, etc. Then at the same time, it never seems old when playing it. I still have the excitement I had back when I was nine enjoying my pokemon ruby.

Dartht33bagger
February 18th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Doesn't seem too old too me. The graphics are new enough looking that it still gives you the effect of it being a new game.

I don't really have many memories of the game though since hardly any of my friends cared about the series at that point and most of them that did buy R/S only played through it once (including me). So I can't exactly nostalgia about them like I can with the Gen I and II games.

Kendosis
February 18th, 2011, 08:58 PM
My favorite generation was III, I'd love to see a remake.

PiPVoda
February 19th, 2011, 11:03 AM
My favorite generation was III, I'd love to see a remake.
We're all waiting patiently for that day.

BrainChord
February 19th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Yes we are
Great to smell that fortree air, get a tan in the route 1?? desert, bathe in the hot springs, and meet the best evil teams (imo) of pokemon.

hackerofdarkness
February 19th, 2011, 06:18 PM
I got firered first but I think ruby is way better due to the epic ness of hoenn

XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE
February 28th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Ditto. I don't think I will be buying a DS anytime ever soon, so Gen III works well for me. It's the newest I have so it's new in my book lol

Wow that's so cool I seriously thought I was the only person that was DS-less lol :) Tbh there are so many great things about Gen III that I honestly don't feel like I'm missing out at all :)

gregory_turner420
March 2nd, 2011, 07:30 AM
the games to me do not feel old, i just played through ruby and leafgreen this week, but now that i think about how long theyve been out makes me feel old.

Multigen
March 2nd, 2011, 02:06 PM
As of a few days ago, I own every 3rd gen game, including spinoffs. i'm sooo proud of myself! ^_^ Anyway, I will never think advanced generation games are old. never. I mean, they're advanced!! :P The first pokemon game I ever played was emerald, then sapphire, then FR, then colosseum, then LG, then XD. you get the picture. I guess since it (and the tv show and card game) is what got me interested in pokemon, it'll always be my favorite.

Tox
March 2nd, 2011, 04:14 PM
I know what you mean. It's hard to believe that the GBA games have been around for so long. I still view them as new games. I think the original Kanto and Johto games are so much more nostalgic because that was back when everyone used to love Pokémon (well, here anyway). The Advance Generation was so much different for lots of reasons but for me, these are the main ones:

- The colours were completely different as they really jumped out compared to the games before them.
- I think the fact that most hacks come from that generation also helps keep them alive. The "new" feel keeps coming back.
- They can connect to the next two Generations (well, sort of) but not the previous two in any way.
- The fact that I play the games on my DS as opposed to a GameBoy is probably a factor too. Since I play them on the same console, I can't really view them as "old".

The Corrupt Plague
March 6th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Old? I don't think so. Tons of people are still playing gen 3 if the amount of rom hacks floating around here is anything to go by.

adhdguitar
March 6th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Gen III felt new to me even through Gen IV, but now it's pretty much exclusively old.

LightOfTruth
March 6th, 2011, 08:15 AM
They are useful for filling the pokedex of the newer games. Migrate is so useful :)

Blake3one6
March 6th, 2011, 09:17 AM
i missed the advance generation, i didn't but any of those but it's cool to see what other people think of them

Pika-power
March 14th, 2011, 08:13 AM
It feels like it was just yesterday I got FR for my 5th birthday.

Theab95
March 14th, 2011, 10:21 AM
I don't consider it old especially Emerald my favorite Pokemon game but then wait 10 years and the kids who played the fifth generation will talk how great it was because
they grew up with those games also the fourth generation.

Dominance
March 14th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I like the advanced gen games, they certainly don't feel old to me. I prefer the graphics style to the newer games, and the games contain many of my favorite pokemon.

Dark Piplup
March 27th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Yes and no. I still remember them well and I recently played them(recently=likie 8 months ago). Yet with Gen. 5 out they are getting old.

Ryoji
April 10th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Yeah, 3rd Gen is pretty old now, I'm sure it'll be revived someday in a remake though so no worries lol.

Eпvy
April 10th, 2011, 01:02 PM
It doesn't feel old to me, although it certainly is. I was back in middle school when Ruby/Sapphire were released, so yeah... That says a lot. lol

It's just, they have feel that all of the games since have had. The first two generations are on their own.

They also don't feel so old to me because I got FireRed only a couple of years ago, and I've been playing it lately because it's the newest Pokemon game I can play.

Ninjutsu95
April 20th, 2011, 07:30 AM
nothing will beat the gba games. the simplicity yet advancedness of it, the bases in hoenn are the best scripted and planned out. i don't want to have to save, and then run underground to get there, or save, connect and go to an online base thingy (*cough B/W*). I love the gba games, will continue to play them til eternity. yet i wish they did have some features that the new games have. such as extra pokemon, etc.

FlameChocobo
April 20th, 2011, 05:51 PM
During my late childhood (which is my 12th birthday), I got Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire. Ruby version from my mother and Sapphire version from my father. It turned out awesome! I loved this game as a kid, and love it more! I had to get it again in December of 2009 since I want to play it again (I was an idiot for selling them in 2006).

Old I say, but doesn't seem that old even if the modern games are Pokemon Black and White.