PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Idea for a Supporter perk

FreakyLocz14
October 3rd, 2010, 09:00 PM
I noticed staff members playing around with colored usernames and titles. That would be a fun Supporter perk.

Who agrees?

Forever
October 3rd, 2010, 09:03 PM
...explain what you mean by coloured usernames and tiles? The usernames were only coloured differently recently at one point because someone changed the SA's colours and Audy decided to change the other usergroups for a little while then. In general, unless I've missed something, the username colours stay the same. o_O

And if by tiles (you typo'd?) you mean custom usertitles, with colours, then no, that's a staff only perk.

FreakyLocz14
October 3rd, 2010, 09:04 PM
...explain what you mean by coloured usernames and tiles? The usernames were only coloured differently recently at one point because someone changed the SA's colours and Audy decided to change the other usergroups for a little while then. In general, unless I've missed something, the username colours stay the same. o_O

And if by tiles (you typo'd?) you mean custom usertitles, with colours, then no, that's a staff only perk.

Yes that's exactly what I'm referring to. I know it's a staff perk but I think it would be fun for Supporters and it might give more people and incentive to donate.

Narcissus Secret
October 3rd, 2010, 09:07 PM
Yes that's exactly what I'm referring to. I know it's a staff perk but I think it would be fun for Supporters and it might give more people and incentive to donate.

Loving PC should be incentive enough. I don't mean to give the age-old(ish?) lecture, but they are PERKS. PC doesn't have to give us anything. If you want to donate, it really shouldn't be because you get perks, because the staff can take them all away if they want.

Forever
October 3rd, 2010, 09:07 PM
It's a staff only perk because users can't add in html themselves. If members requested to do so (who were supporters), then let's see, every time a supporter wanted a usertitle change, they'd need to ask an admin (many of which probably wouldn't be willing to), which could end up with 50+ people requesting every few days, or something, for those who can't make up their minds. It's staff only so it is easier to control. Don't supporters already have enough perks?

FreakyLocz14
October 3rd, 2010, 09:11 PM
It's a staff only perk because users can't add in html themselves. If members requested to do so (who were supporters), then let's see, every time a supporter wanted a usertitle change, they'd need to ask an admin (many of which probably wouldn't be willing to), which could end up with 50+ people requesting every few days, or something, for those who can't make up their minds. It's staff only so it is easier to control. Don't supporters already have enough perks?

I see what you mean. That's kind of like with the name changes. All kinds of people requesting that could get messy, but it could be reserved for T5+ Supporters only.

Patchisou Yutohru
October 3rd, 2010, 09:15 PM
I don't agree, for reasons stated above. This suggestion has come up time and time again and it's something that's just not going to happen.

Suggesting it be made for only Tier 5 & 6 supporters doesn't make it more of a realistic idea. Especially considering the fact that the majority of the supporters on PC are Tier 5 supporters. Staff have very little perks as it is. Custom user titles with HTML is something reserved for staff and former staff who haven't changed their title since being on staff. I'd like to keep it that way...

Cherrim
October 3rd, 2010, 09:17 PM
Tbh I'd be absolutely fine giving it to T6 supporters but even going down to T5... that's a lot of people, and many of them can be pretty frivolous with themes and titles. That's not a bad thing but if we did give the option, I'd be really tempted to restrict it to only being changed once or twice a month or something... and then it would be a pain to "police" that. D:

But maybe that's just laziness on my part. There'd be no real harm in it otherwise, I suppose. :/ But definite, definite "no" to all supporters. Lazy or not, I do not have the patience to handle all those requests (and I know the rest of the admins wouldn't either). x_x

FreakyLocz14
October 3rd, 2010, 09:21 PM
So I guess the fear would be these requests would get out of hand like the name change requests did.

I'm not gonna die if I can't have a colorful usertitle, I just thought it would cool and fun to have one.

Ooka
October 3rd, 2010, 10:02 PM
I would agree with Tier 6 getting them, or just more tiers. I mean, some people have donated quite a bit of money, and imo, getting to change the color of some text should be in there somewhere higher up.

Just a little nitpick I have:
When you're supporting PokeCommunity, it means you've taken your own money and given it to the website, whether you're buying the perks or actually care for the site. Now, I'm no rocket scientist, but when people get up into the higher bucks, I believe they've earned themselves more perks. Now, obviously if there were nothing left to give, I would understand this, but if you can but just don't want to because you'd have to go out of your way to do it, well, that's just messed up.

But +1 Lightning for being awesome and saying yes ;)

Guillermo
October 3rd, 2010, 10:36 PM
It would be fine if staff could choose to say yes or no to someone that requested one, though. And if people started crying then that's their problem. Besides you could limit it to like, only one request a month or something.

Signomi
October 3rd, 2010, 10:53 PM
...I don't mean to sound biased, but I certainly wouldn't mind if Tier 6 Supporters actually had that perk instead. There are so few of us around that it would be no different than the occasional moderator requesting an admin to fiddle with their usertitle, that and we did donate quite a sum of money to get to this tier at all.

Now I'm certainly not complaining, since I actually didn't donate primarily for the perks. But should this even be allowed at all, I do think it would be a more sensible decision to allow this for Tier 6 supporters rather than Tier 5 where there are so many members in its group.

Narcissus Secret
October 4th, 2010, 12:01 AM
I think I've only seen like 2 Tier 6 supporters.. So yeah.. if you could make it for them and above, that would be pretty cool I guess. But, still, it up to the staff, and not obligatory.

Ooka
October 4th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Nah, I think there are 4 of them.

Wings Don't Cry
October 4th, 2010, 12:13 AM
I wouldn't really care since having any perks is fine with me. But honestly when you donate something you're not meant to expect something in return, people normally just donate things out of good will. The idea that it should be made for Tier 6 only is not much better since then it just seems like you're buying an alternate coloured title which kind of defeats the purpose of donating to a community.

Melody
October 4th, 2010, 03:55 AM
As much as I hate how this is going to go to T6 if the motion carries, because T6 is way up there in the cost department, I also feel that it's really worth giving them this ability simply because it wouldn't be that much of a drag on the staff to do that. Heck, Ex-staff have the perk as far as keeping their original html user title, why not T6 as well?

Personally, I'm not really interested in an HTML usertitle, I can make mine pretty enough with text.

Of course, theoretically, we could create or find a plugin that allows users to make only basic customizations (No direct HTML usage to prevent abuse, more like enabling some basic formatting vB codes there and expanding the field to allow it) such as bold, italic, or underline, and text colors, but since the predominant attitude is that's for staff and maybe T6s in the near future, I think it may not be taken so well.

Link
October 4th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Personally I think if a member has donated $100 to a community, they have the right to having a slightly revamped usertitle. You can count the current 6 Tier supporters with one hand, so I don't see the harm. The following is my suggestion on the matter:

Custom usertitle requests limited to staff and 6 tier supporters.
To be requested by means of PM, or whatever suits both parties the most (some staff/6 tier supporters may be good friends with staff and find it just more convenient that way)
There should be a limit to how much T6 supporters ask, maybe not a set limit, as Lightning said; it would be hard to keep track. But so long as the requests are not frequent and the member is patient.
No images for supporters, just text colour and other minor CSS attributes or BB code, a staff member doesn't want to have to check the code to ensure that it does not conflict with the forums in any way.
The coding should be written in HTML format by staff member or T6 members, and if a member has issues with doing this, I will offer to help where need be personally, if the member is not savvy with HTML or CSS.

As I said, I think that T6 are deserving of this, even if it is a little pain for the staff, but so long as it's not taken advantage of, I think it's worth the run. If it goes through, I think it should be heavily notated in the FAQ that it is limited to Tier 6 supporters and staff members. However, I'm going to support whatever does best for the community, I just feel that it is just a little something that could be of service to the members who do so much to help the community.

On the other hand, I do know that T6 has a lot of perks, and being a staff member does not have much more, but my personal preferences do not override what I think would be good for some of the most financially supporting of members on the board.

Jak
October 4th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Personally, I already hate hassling admins to change my usertitle color already. I think the admins would go insane if they had to change supporter usertitles, even if they're tier 6. Unless this goes about like name changes where it's a certain time frame. I don't know. Trying to save admins the trouble. But I'm in favor of this being for tier 6.

Yuri Lowell
October 4th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Personally I think if a member has donated $100 to a community, they have the right to having a slightly revamped usertitle.

I heavily agree on that one sentence. xD

& I can't be biased with this, since I'm not even a supporter (yet D<), but I do think that people who donate enough to reach tier 6, aside from the fact that they're helping PC out so much, should be able to.. at least put some HTML in their usertitle. xD; It's a nice staff perk, yes, or rather a nice admin perk.. and it can be glorified as that, but really.. it's just a usertitle. I don't think it would be a huge ordeal to let Tier 6 users be able to add coding into theirs.

AceDragonite
October 4th, 2010, 11:23 AM
@sydian there's actually less T6 supporters than mods, tbh
@drew, I totally agree with you (and abnegation) I mean sure you're donating it to help the forums, but someone just gave you 100$ and you won't give them a slightly enhanced line of text, now that's just ridiculous imho.

jigglyppuff8
October 4th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I stopped reading after the title. We should donate because we want to donate. Not because we want to pay for perks.

Project.
October 4th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I can't say this is a bad idea.

People will give money to a cause they want to help. Incentives will only draw in the people that are skeptical. Yes, there are people that will donate just because they like the community.

But people like me, I would donate 30 dollars just for it to have it say that I'm a supporter.

And I agree. 100 dollars for a line of text is not too much to ask.

And no matter the difficulty, I would edit some HTML for 100 dollars even if it takes longer then an hour. (assuming I know HTML)

To make a compromise, perhaps there could be a drawing for a certain group of members that occurs a few times a month that will allow people to choose the name of their colour.

This is my opinion. Not my facts.

Heart's Soul
October 4th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I would donate over 95$ for my love to the Community, and, if I'm under 100, then the rest just for the perk. It's a good idea, though, but only for Tier 6 supporters. They helped out the PokeCommunity with a heavy donation of 100$, what if they had to have the Tier 6 banner for 2-3 months and then they'd get the perk. Most people wouldn't bother donating 100$ since they hate waiting, and people would be happy.

FreakyLocz14
October 4th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I mean, if this is regulated to a once-per-month thing, couldn't T5 supporters be included as well?

Link
October 4th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I mean, if this is regulated to a once-per-month thing, couldn't T5 supporters be included as well?

Really there would be no point, it would become less of a luxury. There's many, many, Tier 5 supporters and well, I think that there should be a line drawn and T6. Staff don't have many perks to differentiate themselves from supporters as it is, so I think your best policy would be to appeal for Tier 6 to have admin set usertitles, anything beyond that would be pushing a boundary in which is truly not going to budge.

Project.
October 4th, 2010, 02:14 PM
It is an exclusive, therefore only should be meant for exclusive people. So I'd say T6 or None.

FreakyLocz14
October 5th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Really there would be no point, it would become less of a luxury. There's many, many, Tier 5 supporters and well, I think that there should be a line drawn and T6. Staff don't have many perks to differentiate themselves from supporters as it is, so I think your best policy would be to appeal for Tier 6 to have admin set usertitles, anything beyond that would be pushing a boundary in which is truly not going to budge.

I see.

Well, since there isn't much of a difference between T5 and T6 perks, perhaps it would give T5 supporters an incentive to upgrade.

Godot17
October 5th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Oh, come on. It's just color >__> You already have a bluer username than the normal members. What else do you want? In fact, T4+ have their usernames looking even bluer than the lower tiers because of some shadow thing.

Zorua
October 5th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Posting to say that I agree with the Tier 6s having this "perk". And yet, I'm a tier 5. Yes, I am completely unbiased.

No, I am not being sarcastic.

Knowing how many tier 5s we have, it really would be a pain trying to change everyone's usertitle and such. Add on to the fact that some of us(admit it, cause I know I am) are pretty stingy with colors and whatnot, and it can get a bit stressful on the staff.

I'd be parroting everyone else in this thread that agrees with the whole tier 6 thing, so I don't want to say anything else.

Captain Hobo.
October 5th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I like it for the 5th & 6th supporter because I would like a green name.

Forever
October 5th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Kay, gunna state why I'm against this idea. However, if it does go ahead, that's good for the tier 6's and I hope they enjoy their coloured usertitles. And on the other hand, $100 does go a fair way, but yeah, idk, now after typing this up I'm half-half, but this is the reasons I have against it.

I remember back when I was only just a supporter and when Nick first made me a supporter, all I was happy about was the blue username and profile images. Not long after, I started to enjoy the VIP forum, then as I got closer with the supporters, I did actually begin to think that we were better than the ones without italic blue usernames (shameful, I know), then all I wanted was more perks, just because we apparently deserved it, yet I didn't actually donate. At some point though, I did realise that wanting more perks wasn't necessary, because I thought back to the original supporters, who only had green usernames (unless there was a colour before that) and the title of being a Community Supporter. That's all they needed and they were happy with that. Then when I became a supporter, it was all "I want moaaaar", which was the wrong mindset. At some point last year or something, I realised that I didn't need more, I should have just been happy with the blue username. I feel that if this does go ahead, it might eventually get to their heads thinking that because "hey I'm a supporter, I can do anything", which was my mindset, so... (I know it's not true for anyone, but even if it is just tier 6's, more people will eventually join that usergroup).

Besides, what about those who always wanted a coloured usertitle but thought "I have a goal in mind, to become staff, to help the community and then finally get the coloured usertitle" and now it can just be achieved by paying money. I know this is sorta like an "earn what you get" type of mindset or something, but... it's just how I see it. And I know you got it through being PC President, but that was a popularity contest, this is just paying money. Plus, as the others said, people should donate for the good of the community, not for the perks, but that can't be helped.

I know this is based purely on how I was as a supporter, but I don't want anyone else to end up like that and that's just my view, so yeah. Plus it all probably made no sense at all but just my opinion, don't kill me :x This isn't being selfish on my part either, because if we didn't have coloured usertitles as an option it wouldn't matter that much to me, but that's how I see it.

...now I feel bad, sorry if I offended anyone by this. D:

Melody
October 5th, 2010, 09:14 PM
...I actually share the same sentiments as Nica does on this matter. If the staff has so fiercely defended the right to the colored usertitles this far, then why are we even considering giving in now, even if only to people who ponied up a lot of cash. Does it not cheapen the perk itself?

Now I was one of the Original Community Supporters. I was quite happy with the colored username alone. Any and all pushing I've done for additional supporter perks has always been with the intent to entice more people to donate to benefit the community, but even I feel that there's a line. The staff needs something they can call their own. Certainly there are far more interesting perks we can offer our few T6 members that are worth the amount they donated besides colored usertitles. All we need to do is ask them what else they'd like.

Zorua
October 6th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Kay, gunna state why I'm against this idea. However, if it does go ahead, that's good for the tier 6's and I hope they enjoy their coloured usertitles. And on the other hand, $100 does go a fair way, but yeah, idk, now after typing this up I'm half-half, but this is the reasons I have against it.

I remember back when I was only just a supporter and when Nick first made me a supporter, all I was happy about was the blue username and profile images. Not long after, I started to enjoy the VIP forum, then as I got closer with the supporters, I did actually begin to think that we were better than the ones without italic blue usernames (shameful, I know), then all I wanted was more perks, just because we apparently deserved it, yet I didn't actually donate. At some point though, I did realise that wanting more perks wasn't necessary, because I thought back to the original supporters, who only had green usernames (unless there was a colour before that) and the title of being a Community Supporter. That's all they needed and they were happy with that. Then when I became a supporter, it was all "I want moaaaar", which was the wrong mindset. At some point last year or something, I realised that I didn't need more, I should have just been happy with the blue username. I feel that if this does go ahead, it might eventually get to their heads thinking that because "hey I'm a supporter, I can do anything", which was my mindset, so... (I know it's not true for anyone, but even if it is just tier 6's, more people will eventually join that usergroup).

Besides, what about those who always wanted a coloured usertitle but thought "I have a goal in mind, to become staff, to help the community and then finally get the coloured usertitle" and now it can just be achieved by paying money. I know this is sorta like an "earn what you get" type of mindset or something, but... it's just how I see it. And I know you got it through being PC President, but that was a popularity contest, this is just paying money. Plus, as the others said, people should donate for the good of the community, not for the perks, but that can't be helped.

I know this is based purely on how I was as a supporter, but I don't want anyone else to end up like that and that's just my view, so yeah. Plus it all probably made no sense at all but just my opinion, don't kill me :x This isn't being selfish on my part either, because if we didn't have coloured usertitles as an option it wouldn't matter that much to me, but that's how I see it.

...now I feel bad, sorry if I offended anyone by this. D:

I agree with this. To an extent though, but I'll give my reasons.

I remember when I was stalking the VIP forum all of a sudden out of boredom and came across a certain thread(that you know of) and I heard people discussing about more supporter perks, that supporters should get more, etc. There was no doubt in my mind that this upset me, even being a supporter myself, and when Audy yelled at that certain person because of requesting too many perks and whatnot, I think everyone pretty much learned their lesson at that point. Everyone should be thankful for what the staff gives us now, and greed would most likely get us nowhere. But there are reasons why this idea would go well also, and it's just as you said Nica: $100 goes a long way. Think about it: which would help pay the server costs and help out Steve more: $100 or $25?

Especially since $100 in US money(or in whatever currency that translates to in your country) isn't really something that's easy to get and something that's attainable in a short period of time to many. It's a lot of money to put fourth, and it takes a lot of generosity in order to donate that much money to a Pokemon forum. It really shows how much people care, in a good way.

So while this idea may have it's flaws, it definitely has it's advantages. Nevertheless, I'm fine with the idea whether it's gets implemented or not. Initially, I thought the staff was going to reject this from the get-go because I thought they were pretty strict with the whole colored usertitles thing, but it seems that, going by some of the replies in this thread, that some of the staff actually wouldn't mind.

tl;dr: it's nice giving the "perk" if you will, to Tier 6s, if it gets implemented, but if it doesn't, then I wouldn't have any qualms either.

The Red Chain
October 6th, 2010, 01:32 AM
I am against this idea for one simple reason :

You're supposed to donate out of the kindness of your heart, not for perks.

That is what a donation is right? Those perks are given to you because the leaders here on PC want to return your kindness with little bonuses. You could donate all the money to PC in the world and not get anything in return if it weren't for that. Stop pushing for more than you already have, especially at Tier 6, it's getting ridiculous.

I'm sorry if I came off a little rude.. ]:

Archer
October 6th, 2010, 01:40 AM
As much as I agree that it takes away from the uniqueness, but I hardly think that turning people off wanting to become staff should be a concern. People aren't supposed to chase a staff position. They fit the bill and they get it. If they have to behave differently to get it, then maybe they aren't worth it.

Another concern that I have is that people are pushing to have these benefits on Tier 6, when they aren't part of it. Why is this an issue? Because they are just trying to justify spending that amount before they do. Guys, I appreciate that it's not the way it is and that I originally acted the same way, but the fact is, you donate according to what you can/want to. Although the perks have done the forum a service as far as revenue goes, they've distorted the way people think.

Platinum Lucario
October 6th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Well well well, it seems as if alot of people have donated for the perk, eh? OK, considering the custom usertitles on Tier 6 users would be a great and wonderful idea. I'm sure this would incourage more people to donate, right? Indeed it will and PC will get more money out of it. To make me think... if the idea was accepted... I'm pretty sure I would end up donating probably about $120 AUD. I'm not even a supporter at all, and I'm fine with the possition I am at right now.

I'm just wondering myself... exactly what Nica said earlier...At some point last year or something, I realised that I didn't need more, I should have just been happy with the blue username. I feel that if this does go ahead, it might eventually get to their heads thinking that because "hey I'm a supporter, I can do anything", which was my mindset, so... (I know it's not true for anyone, but even if it is just tier 6's, more people will eventually join that usergroup).

And then it made me think... "even if we do get custom usertitles for Tier 6, it'll make some people get greedy and consider wanting the Tier 6 possition just for the perks". Then more people will donate $100 and badly want to get the possition, then it won't be long before the Admins get flooded with several PMs requesting for usertitle changes. Then oh dear, it will totally make the Admins very fed up and tired of having to go though several requests to changing usertitles.

And I doubt there is a plugin for changing it on the User CP either. But remember what happened when the username changes were around? PC crashed from the several name changes which required the change in the database... Steve had to go though the trouble of fixing the database. And it probably would be the same for the custom usertitles as well. Giving the fact that it was an excellent idea, and so brillient... but the Admins are really strict with the usertitle changes. Even if it was for Tier 6 having it... I'm sure it would've been great... but then over months... it changes into a huge number of people donating $100.

And to be honest... I would've agreed with this idea as well, but it is the Admins' decission after all, and I'm sure they do it for a good reason.

And besides... donating to PC... is about helping PokéCommunity with the server costs and all that, no one should be spoiled and get everything they want... because in life... we can't get everything we want. When we donate something, we can't expect something in return. Like other people have said it before I did. I've gone though a lot of experience with reality... and caring is a really big thing to do.

I care about everyone... no matter who they are or what they are.

And Tier 6 is just basically a sign in which you've helped PokéCommunity with such a lot of money, and that is the reward... for being in the highest Tier ever. Just like beating a staff ghost in a Mario Kart: Double Dash!! game... you won't get anything for beating a staff ghost.

But it is everyone's decission though... the Admins will decide whenever to close this thread or accept the idea.

donavannj
October 6th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Honestly, I don't care if I have colored usertitles or not, if I ever were to donate to the point where I'd become a Tier 6. I'm more concerned with database stability and the like.

FreakyLocz14
October 6th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I see where the "You're supposed to donate out of the kindness of your heart..." people are coming from, but the more money PC can earn, the better off it is, and unfortunately, there are people out there who would donate money due to a perk they would receive that would have otherwise not donated. I respect people who donate out of pure kindness and generosity, but attracting more supporters is just good business.

Platinum Lucario
October 6th, 2010, 11:50 PM
I see where the "You're supposed to donate out of the kindness of your heart..." people are coming from, but the more money PC can earn, the better off it is, and unfortunately, there are people out there who would donate money due to a perk they would receive that would have otherwise not donated. I respect people who donate out of pure kindness and generosity, but attracting more supporters is just good business.

Yeah, I just wonder what happens if PokéCommunity had about 100 million dollars or something? Then I wonder what PokéCommunity would do with all that money? I would like to see what happens with it all.

But like I said... custom usertitles are a great idea for Tier 6... but I'm not really sure if the Admins would accept the idea, even if it was just for Tier 6. I mean PokéCommunity would totally make a great profit out of it.

Melody
October 7th, 2010, 12:03 AM
...Except there is just one flaw with your reasoning. PC is not a business, simply because it cannot legally become one. The most we can do is earn just enough to pay our bills, if we earn too much more than that, we're a so called 'threat' to the companies who's products we're promoting and discussing. By keeping our income low enough, we're not attracting unwanted legal attention. And that's just one of the many concerns we have.

Personally I'd be afraid of PC becoming one of those sites where you have to pay for every little useful feature on a monthly basis, which really is annoying. I can understand having limitations and restrictions on normal member abilities, and I can understand giving our donators a little bit more, but when it comes down to plain old brass tacks, PC doesn't need that kind of reputation or atmosphere.

Only because of the current rarity of T6s is this being seriously considered, and once we actually make it available to them, more people will want that ability, and will pay their way up to T6, and end up swamping the admins with requests. (Something they seriously wanted to avoid in the first place am I not correct?)

Now if somehow it were possible to allow such changes to be made to your own usertitle via the UserCP, then it'd be practical. (and don't tell me it's impossible, it just hasn't been wanted bad enough for someone to have already coded such a plugin that they're willing to share.)

Platinum Lucario
October 7th, 2010, 12:24 AM
...Except there is just one flaw with your reasoning. PC is not a business, simply because it cannot legally become one. The most we can do is earn just enough to pay our bills, if we earn too much more than that, we're a so called 'threat' to the companies who's products we're promoting and discussing. By keeping our income low enough, we're not attracting unwanted legal attention. And that's just one of the many concerns we have.

Personally I'd be afraid of PC becoming one of those sites where you have to pay for every little useful feature on a monthly basis, which really is annoying. I can understand having limitations and restrictions on normal member abilities, and I can understand giving our donators a little bit more, but when it comes down to plain old brass tacks, PC doesn't need that kind of reputation or atmosphere.

Only because of the current rarity of T6s is this being seriously considered, and once we actually make it available to them, more people will want that ability, and will pay their way up to T6, and end up swamping the admins with requests. (Something they seriously wanted to avoid in the first place am I not correct?)

Now if somehow it were possible to allow such changes to be made to your own usertitle via the UserCP, then it'd be practical. (and don't tell me it's impossible, it just hasn't been wanted bad enough for someone to have already coded such a plugin that they're willing to share.)

Everything you said... is absolutely true.
And just like what me and Nica said earlier about how T6 would start off with little at first... but then it will gradually become bigger. Then again... I really hope a plugin does get created for using BB codes in your usertitle for Tier 6, but then again... PC has the problem of getting too much money, then oh dear... the site getting shut down by a Third Party. I would really hate to PC be forced to be shut down, so if I had a choice between PC having custom usertitles for Tier 6, or just have the money for the server costs... I would choose just having the money for the server costs.
And as I said earlier... no one in this world should be greedy. :sleeping:

Zet
October 7th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Yeah, I just wonder what happens if PokéCommunity had about 100 million dollars or something? Then I wonder what PokéCommunity would do with all that money? I would like to see what happens with it all.

But like I said... custom usertitles are a great idea for Tier 6... but I'm not really sure if the Admins would accept the idea, even if it was just for Tier 6. I mean PokéCommunity would totally make a great profit out of it.

If PC had 100 million dollars, it would be on a dedicated server :P

I'm not sure why this thread is still open, from what I can see is just the same thing being posted every few posts, but worded differently.

Archer
October 7th, 2010, 04:33 AM
If PC had 100 million dollars, it would be on a dedicated server :P

I'm not sure why this thread is still open, from what I can see is just the same thing being posted every few posts, but worded differently.
I suppose you're right about the second point, but the first one brings up an interesting point - would the extra funds allow for a better server? I'm not sure what we have at the moment, but it seems that it's not coping. I'm also not about to start supporting the idea, but if this can push us towards a better server, then it may not such a bad thing... Just thinking...

Platinum Lucario
October 7th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Oh, I just realized something.

I'm sure if the custom usertitles are just for the staff, isn't it going to end up attracting attention for new users to want to become Moderators? Because I'm sure how a brillient feature would end up encouraging them to want to become staff, and yet they don't read the FAQs until after one of the staff members tell them it. Hopefully this doesn't become such a huge problem. Because... isn't the higher ranks supposed to be just for not encouraging users to want to become staff, and rather thinking about staying as a member? But oh well, I guess it's their decission.

So I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place... should I support the feature of it being Tier 6? Or should I just leave it and not support the idea?

Forever
October 7th, 2010, 05:04 AM
New users wanting to become mods is a good thing. o_O They act more responsible (and hey, once minimodding is pointed out as an issue, they stop) as a result in order to get modded. Just as long as they don't ask to become one...

But anyway, that's getting off the topic of supporters. I would reply to the posts aimed at mine, though there's not much else to say. Personally, I don't think having that as a tier 6 feature will attract more people to donate and eventually get PC a better server. Really, I think the blue username works well enough, in that situation anyway.

As it is, if you have to basically give the users the maximum amount of perks humanly possible, then there's not really a point and you might as well say you have to pay to sign up becau-- that's unlikely, but still. I don't think more perks are needed for any usergroup. PC works fine as it is.

Edit: Because I'm not gunna post again, I'm fine if tier 6's get it, because it's up to the upper staff and if they think it's a good idea, then they're right. Just have been stating concerns.

Yuri Lowell
October 7th, 2010, 10:35 AM
There are people that keep saying that we aren't supposed to donate for the perks, and likewise.. you could say that we're not on staff for the perks either. :/ We're staff because we care about PC, and likewise some supporters care just as much.. It's just a usertitle - what's the harm in sharing a colored font tag with Tier 6 members? idk. I'm done with this thread after this post.. just something to think about.

Cherrim
October 7th, 2010, 11:41 AM
If we didn't want people to donate for perks, we wouldn't offer them. Yes, we appreciate when people donate for the sake of helping out PC moreso than the perks but... the perks are incentives, there's no going around it. :/ They act as both a "thank you for donating your hard-earned money to PC" and a "hey, if you donate that cash you have lying around, look at these cool extras you get!"

I really don't think offering it to T6 would make people from T5 jump at the chance to throw an extra $75 our way. And if it does, you may want to rethink your investments lmao because that's a lot of money for something so frivolous. (Though I guess I won't complain if people would do it?) So yeah, that's probably not something to "worry" about. T6 has almost always been about donations for the sake of helping PC (because you really don't get much more after T5) so adding a little something extra for that is no problem for me.

._. And likewise, if people literally only want to be mods for a coloured usertitle, they probably wouldn't make good enough mods to be considered, lmao.

AceDragonite
October 7th, 2010, 11:54 AM
New users wanting to become mods is a good thing. o_O They act more responsible (and hey, once minimodding is pointed out as an issue, they stop) as a result in order to get modded. Just as long as they don't ask to become one...

But anyway, that's getting off the topic of supporters. I would reply to the posts aimed at mine, though there's not much else to say. Personally, I don't think having that as a tier 6 feature will attract more people to donate and eventually get PC a better server. Really, I think the blue username works well enough, in that situation anyway.

As it is, if you have to basically give the users the maximum amount of perks humanly possible, then there's not really a point and you might as well say you have to pay to sign up becau-- that's unlikely, but still. I don't think more perks are needed for any usergroup. PC works fine as it is.

I'm pretty sure every new user would give an arm and a leg to be modded XD
So it's not anything new to me.

@Lightning I highly doubt the colored usertitle is the main motivation for people to want to be modded, imho its the power you get. Though let's face it, power in the wrong hands is one of the worst things that can happen to a forum (I've seen it happen before). I mean if I was modded tommorow (not gonna happen lol) I wouldn't act frivolous at all like some other mods (not necesarilly here) do. I mean all of this goes back to the old quote "With great power comes great responsibility."

Melody
October 7th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Well I know I've provoked enough thought on the matter to be satisfied. So this post is my final reply and not intended to be a rebuttal.

@AceDragonite: You're darn right, there are a lot of newbies who'd love to be modded. In fact there are a lot of members on PC who'd give more than just a limb to be a moderator here. Naturally not everyone who wants to be a moderator is right for the job. Hell, even I've harbored dreams of modding here, but that definitely does not make me the right choice for staff irregardless of how long I've been at PC.

@Lightning: True their priorities need to be re-arranged, but then again, my only concern was that people might feel that $100 is far too much to ask for just one more visible perk. Now I'm aware that there are more perks to T6 than meets the eye, but I was merely concerned with the image people get.

@Drew: No real harm indeed.

Still, if the staff really feels there's no harm in it...it's their decision and I'm seeing more of them ask where the harm in it is.

Platinum Lucario
October 7th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I just learned something new... I never really thought that people wouldn't be able to donate an extra $100 easily, 'cause I thought they would've been able to.

After seeing more posts... I've decided it wouldn't be such a bad idea for the Tier 6 to have custom usertitles... maybe could be requested a forum maybe?

@Lightning: Hm... I see where you're getting at, and ah yes... I didn't realize about the investments. But what if they're rich? (which is probably unlikely) lol

Ah well, anyways, this will indeed be my last post here in this thread. Well it was my honor to point out some things... and maybe some ideas. Like some of us mentioned about BB codes being used in a usertitle in Tier 6.

Let's just see if this suggestion gets accepted or rejected, shall we?

Forever
October 7th, 2010, 06:12 PM
...okay I wasn't going to reply again, but because I'm paranoid that everyone will take what I said wrongly, I just wanted to say that I was purely stating the negatives, because others haven't much besides the donate for perks thing. If it does go ahead, I won't have any objections as a whole, though.

And haha, my previous post sounds so stupid at the bottom, sorry.

AceDragonite
October 7th, 2010, 06:16 PM
...okay I wasn't going to reply again, but because I'm paranoid that everyone will take what I said wrongly, I just wanted to say that I was purely stating the negatives, because others haven't much besides the donate for perks thing. If it does go ahead, I won't have any objections as a whole, though.

And haha, my previous post sounds so stupid at the bottom, sorry.

you shouldn't feel the need not to reply and I'm sorry if I took what you said in the wrong way I was just stating that Newbies want to be mods, and that's quite obvious.
And no posts are "stupid" every post is meaningful and contributes to the discussion, or at least it should.

Lucy Lu
October 7th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I am sorry, but I have to disagree with this. Well for one we already got enough perks. I know this will be only people who are in the 6th tier, but I thought we donate because we want to help. Not for the perks. And we are basically taking what the Mods, SuperMods, SAs, AAs, and Site Admin can do. We will be like them. And I don't want that. And I heard that if you change your usertitle a AA or a SA have to go and change it themselves. Do you know how many times people change their usertitle? All the time...it will get tiring. And I think it will put more stress on the server.

So yeah I think 5th and 6th tier have enough perks. I am sorry. That is how I feel about this situation.

FreakyLocz14
October 14th, 2010, 10:23 PM
I am sorry, but I have to disagree with this. Well for one we already got enough perks. I know this will be only people who are in the 6th tier, but I thought we donate because we want to help. Not for the perks. And we are basically taking what the Mods, SuperMods, SAs, AAs, and Site Admin can do. We will be like them. And I don't want that. And I heard that if you change your usertitle a AA or a SA have to go and change it themselves. Do you know how many times people change their usertitle? All the time...it will get tiring. And I think it will put more stress on the server.

So yeah I think 5th and 6th tier have enough perks. I am sorry. That is how I feel about this situation.

I personally donated didn't donate for the perks. T6 Supporters like myself don't get any additional perks than T5 Supporters do, so I had no other incentive to shell out an additional $75 to PC. But, there are those who would donate for the perks, and tbh, I wouldn't care why they donated if I was an Admin, because the site would be getting the help it needs either way in the end. Attracting more donations is just good for PC, period.

Magmaruby and Aquasapphire
October 14th, 2010, 10:33 PM
What about a profile with flashing lights...though that might cause seizures....

Zet
October 14th, 2010, 10:35 PM
I personally donated didn't donate for the perks. T6 Supporters like myself don't get any additional perks than T5 Supporters do, so I had no other incentive to shell out an additional $75 to PC. But, there are those who would donate for the perks, and tbh, I wouldn't care why they donated if I was an Admin, because the site would be getting the help it needs either way in the end. Attracting more donations is just good for PC, period.

What are you talking about? T6 gets extra perks than T5 gets.