PDA

View Full Version : [Weekly Poll] How you're playing the games [ #2 ]

Forever
October 10th, 2010, 05:29 AM
[css-div=padding:10px;]How are you playing the games?
★ Using a ROM?
★ Using a legal copy?
★ Waiting for the games to release in English?

JUST A NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS HOW YOU FOUND THE ROMS OR LINK TO THEM.

Why did you decide to play this way? Is it easier to just download a ROM rather than import? Or maybe you're just so impatient that you just had to import? Alternatively... you could just have a lot of patience and are waiting for the English release!

If you have any poll ideas, feel free to PM Kaori or myself with them. We may not use them the following week after you have suggested them, but we're likely to consider them in the near future.
[/css-div]

smugleaf^^
October 10th, 2010, 05:31 AM
lol, I've got the first vote ;p

PsychoJigglypuff
October 10th, 2010, 05:35 AM
I was originally going to wait for the English version, but I got so impatient that I had to import it!

I much prefer playing an actual copy of a game over a ROM any day.

Surmonter
October 10th, 2010, 05:35 AM
I have a ROM on a flash cart, which works perfectly on my DSi so it's like I have the actual game

But to make it up to Nintendo, I will buy both B/W when it comes out in English :3

PlatinumDude
October 10th, 2010, 05:36 AM
I'm waiting for the English release because it would be easy for me to play it (for obvious reasons).

pokewalker
October 10th, 2010, 05:42 AM
I downloaded the rom from white because I didn't want to buy a game which I couldn't understand, but I'll buy Black when it is released in Europe.

dragon0fangz
October 10th, 2010, 06:21 AM
English for me. I feel that its important to be patient, and get a truly great game that you can understand, than waste money on a game you can't even understand, or download an illegal ROM.

Kevin
October 10th, 2010, 06:22 AM
I would download the ROM, but my computer would lag too much. xDD

So I'm waiting and buying the English release. (= Black and White.

Alli
October 10th, 2010, 07:10 AM
I used a Black ROM before my import of White got here. However, NICA didn't make more than one choice available. :< -votes for legal copy anyway-

-Jared-
October 10th, 2010, 07:14 AM
I am patient enough to wait for the English release. ^__^ I don;t see the point in playing a game I can't understand. :D

The Red Chain
October 10th, 2010, 07:17 AM
I have a legal copy because I'm not an ~argh~. ;D
I will admit I messed around with the ROM at first because I was too excited to wait for my copy to arrive.
I didn't get far.. just a little past the first city. <3

But yes, I'm playing on an actual White copy now. :3

Forever
October 10th, 2010, 07:19 AM
I used a Black ROM before my import of White got here. However, NICA didn't make more than one choice available. :< -votes for legal copy anyway-

I totally thought people wouldn't need to select more than one option...XD;

Though now there's four options :D

Anyway, I'll be waiting for the English release, much better actually understanding what I'm playing~

Andrut
October 10th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I played a legal copy and i'm proud of it. ^_^
I actually beat Geechisu without understanding anything but English-speaking strangers.
I guess i won't buy an English game. I will wait for "Gray" or something like that.

Team Fail
October 10th, 2010, 07:32 AM
I can't afford to import now, so I'm using a flashcard. I do plan on buying the English release so I can use the live caster, though. *Gets idea*

Aquacorde
October 10th, 2010, 07:36 AM
I'm waiting for the English release, and I plan on buying White.

©ereal Killer
October 10th, 2010, 07:41 AM
ROM for me... I are a pirate!! Aaarrrrrrr!!
xP

Nah, since I'm not a very patient person... I just had to download it...

Corruptodile
October 10th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Though I'm incredibly tempted to get a ROM, I'm waiting. I may import a Japanese version though as luckily my DS Lite isn't region locked . :)

TheAppleFreak
October 10th, 2010, 07:57 AM
At the moment, I'm playing a White ROM on my flashcart until the English release, when I'll be purchasing a legal copy of both Black (for me) and White (my brother).

To be honest, there should be a fifth and sixth option for using a ROM and waiting for the English release and using a legal Japanese copy and waiting for the English release. For the meantime, I defaulted for the second-best option.

Bluerang1
October 10th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Waiting for English. Patience is important, I don't want to keep downloading games, and I don't understand Japanese :P

kohei
October 10th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Pre-ordered and got a copy from Amazon.
Arrived a day later as expected from Amazon.

Oh Amazon, how you say you'll arrive on the 18th and yet knock on my door the next day.

Sapeiro
October 10th, 2010, 09:12 AM
I am still waiting for an English release, then I'll download a properly translated rom. Buying games online is just too expensive, if the price + shipping is greater than U$S 50 (like... 60% more + daily rent until you pick it up).

I'd think of buying it when the prices lower a bit...

austin00081
October 10th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I bought and am playing Black. Although I can read most of the Japanese, i cant understand whats going on.
But I can read attack names, Pokemon, and other various things, including GTS.

Haowakeorden
October 10th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I don't read Japanese, so I'm waiting for the English release.

Bay Alexison
October 10th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Going to wait for the English version. I have friends that are playing the ROM and are willing to give me the link, but I don't understand Japanese and also my computer lags/overheats when I try to play DS ROMS. x_x XD Also I'm a sucker for character dialogue, so I might miss those if I go for the Japanese version. Can always use an English patch, but again my computer hates ROMs at the moment. So yeah, wait for English version so that I get through the game faster and enjoy it more.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
October 10th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I'm waiting for the English release :)
I would never use an Illegal rom I personally don't like the fact that people download illegal things off the internet...

Esper
October 10th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I imported White. I didn't want to be tied to my computer whenever I wanted to play it. Plus I don't mind spending the money to buy the game like a good little consumer.

I almost wish I'd just grabbed a rom as soon as one was available just so I wouldn't have to wait for my copy and keep avoiding spoilers. Almost.

Boarbeque
October 10th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I am going to be getting Pokemon White in English, but I decided to play the roms.

Kamigoroshi
October 10th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I'm a pirate and damn proud of it: ROM usage all the way! Needless to say I will do the same with the English releases as well.

MrsNorrington
October 10th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I knew from the start that I wouldn't be able to wait for the English release of these games, because I knew that I would end up spoiling everything before it got here and I wanted more than anything to experience a new Pokemon game the way I did in the past..before the internet craze and all it's spoilers. But I couldn't decide if I should preorder or not. I planned on it if I got approved to work at my school..because I couldnt spend the little money I had on a game without a job.

So when I got approved to work in the biology labs at my college, I decided that I would preorder. However, before I preordered I fell to temptation when the Pokedex was released and spoiled everything by looking at the new Pokemon, I then decided I would wait for the English release because I loathed the new Pokemon and wasn't excited anymore.

The next day, I looked at the new Pokemon again, and I loved them. I went from hating 90% of them, to only hating 10%. I downloaded the ROM and played it for a few hours to see if I could handle playing the game in Japanese. I was convinced I could, so I went ahead and ordered it on the 16th or 17th..the day of it's release. It took two weeks to arrive since I preordered it so late....but now I have it and I LOVE it. It's absolutely amazing. The Japanese doesn't hinder my gameplay at all. I use bulbapedia to know which moves my Pokemon are learning as they level up, and I use serebii for it's list of items and whatnot. So it's not difficult at all! I look forward to the English release though, so that I can know what the plot dialogue is!

Shining Meganium
October 10th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I'm waiting for the Engish release. I'm not sure why but I just don't like using Roms. The small screen is kind of off-putting.

Powerflare
October 10th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Right now I am using a legal copy of Pokémon Black version.

Astinus
October 10th, 2010, 01:30 PM
I couldn't wait for the English release, so I downloaded both ROMs. I've only played Black, though. I just couldn't stay away from the temptation.

But I am going to buy both games when they're released in America, so Nintendo's still making money off me.

Masterge77
October 10th, 2010, 01:30 PM
I only know two languages, English and Bad English, so I am waiting for the American releases, which I hear will be released in February.....

Gulpin
October 10th, 2010, 01:45 PM
I wish that I could vote for two. Anyways, currently I am playing on a Pokemon White, Japanese ROM, but I'll eventually end up buying the English White, Black, and the third game.

King Gumball
October 10th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I am waiting for the English release, as in the Australian release as DSi and 3DS are region locked :(

I have never played on a ROM before. What are they exactly and can someone send me a link to download one please?

o0PinkSquid0o
October 10th, 2010, 05:09 PM
I am using a ROM because I was impatient for B&W but I didn't want to pay for a game that I couldn't understand yet, I will definitely be buying the English version though! Probably both versions too hahaha

A Pixy
October 10th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I'm waiting for the English version, because English is the language spoken in a majority of Canada, the greatest country on Earth. n_n

Stormbringer
October 10th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I'm waiting for the English release, and I'll be getting White. ^^

mervyn797
October 10th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I'm using a Rom right now because of my impatience. I'd buy the game when it cones out in English. xD

fenyx4
October 10th, 2010, 10:30 PM
I'm waiting for the English release of Gray/Crimson/Jade/?????????? Version when it comes out. The ROM thing isn't viable if I want to partake in wireless link/Wi-Fi Battles, so yeah. Plus, Pokemon is the main reason I actually use Nintendo handhelds, anyway! :D

I'm really hating how the Internet is now infested with spoilers, though, as the players waiting for their localized releases won't get to enjoy the definitive "all-new Pokemon experience"... There is a big difference between encountering a Pokemon you've never seen before with no knowledge of its existence and encountering one you haven't actually met before but still know of its existence due to Bulbapedia, Pokemon forums, and the like... :(

The "importing due to impatience yet not knowing Japanese" strikes me as odd...I know some people choose to play more than one version and are multilingual, but I anticipate there will still be some players who will push aside their Japanese versions of BW once the English releases come out, with the import essentially serving little use once the English releases (or your local language's release) are available... :\

Actor
October 11th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I intend to wait for it to be released in england, but i might import it from the usa.

delthero
October 11th, 2010, 10:51 AM
i am using illegal ROM :( but only for Japanese version! I will buy it with my own pocket money when it comes out in USA. :)

Arc
October 11th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I'm using a real and legal copy of the game. Since, I really don't like downloading ROMS all that much, I imported the game. (^_^)b

MrsNorrington
October 11th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I'm waiting for the English release of Gray/Crimson/Jade/?????????? Version when it comes out. The ROM thing isn't viable if I want to partake in wireless link/Wi-Fi Battles, so yeah. Plus, Pokemon is the main reason I actually use Nintendo handhelds, anyway! :D

I'm really hating how the Internet is now infested with spoilers, though, as the players waiting for their localized releases won't get to enjoy the definitive "all-new Pokemon experience"... There is a big difference between encountering a Pokemon you've never seen before with no knowledge of its existence and encountering one you haven't actually met before but still know of its existence due to Bulbapedia, Pokemon forums, and the like... :(

The "importing due to impatience yet not knowing Japanese" strikes me as odd...I know some people choose to play more than one version and are multilingual, but I anticipate there will still be some players who will push aside their Japanese versions of BW once the English releases come out, with the import essentially serving little use once the English releases (or your local language's release) are available... :\

Yea, I know exactly what you mean. It's the greatest feeling to encounter a Pokemon that you've never seen before. I hate that the internet is infested with unavoidable spoilers. Also-this will explain to you why we fans who imported the game even while we don't know a word of Japanese. We want to experience the game before its spoiled. If we were to wait til spring there would be no surprises left, other than the dialogue. I'm so glad I imported it. The Japanese doesn't hinder my gameplay at all. And I definitely won't be pushing my Japanese version aside when the English comes out. I love my pokes there, as they were my very first from Gen 5, and I'll be using this game everytime Japan has a wifi event. It's a great advantage to own the Japanese game because not all of Japan's wifi events are released in America. I regret not buying SoulSilver in Japanese last year..

MidouCloud
October 11th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Im waiting for a english spanish version, is more easy to play and understand for me XD

Red1530
October 11th, 2010, 01:30 PM
I am going to wait for the United States release.

dozo
October 11th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Waiting for the English version, but that's pretty difficult O.o
I may have to resort to the roms, just to satisfy my temptations until Spring.

My pokemon obession will be the death of me xD

thegamemaker
October 11th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Sure, everyone else is playing it, but I'm just going to wait. I don't wanna import because I don't know a thing of the japanese language. i dont wanna get a rom because it doesnt seem right so, ima wait...

Guy
October 11th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I'm waiting for the English copy, but avoiding as many game spoilers as possible. It isn't as hard as I thought it would have been to avoid any further details than what I already knew, except when someone occasionally links me to something, I click it, and I go, "WHOA! NO! SPOILERS!"

... Thanks, Syd. n_n;

Halcyon
October 11th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I'll be using a ROM to have an experience the game myself. I definitely will buy the English version if I have the chance.

Mew~
October 12th, 2010, 04:15 AM
Im playing white on my DS using my r4 (Flashcart) So technically im using a rom but not playing it on my computer, but on my DS without any problems and working normally!

I will be buying the european version of Black when it comes out though, so techically im still paying nintendo :)!~

JP
October 12th, 2010, 05:48 AM
I have a legal copy. I don't have anything against ROM's and the users, but I'm just not a fan of them. I like being able to play the game on my handheld, and knowing I won't get any problems from it.

Azumi
October 12th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Pokemon games are usually messed up on my R4, so I have no choice but to buy them-- wait that's not the real reason

I mean, I buy them because I understand Japanese, and being one of the first (bunch of) people to buy the games and see the new features and play in a different world is kinda thrilling. eue
I'll be waiting for the English release later though - same for the third release.

TheGreatWhiteBuffalo
October 12th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Getting a ROM tonight because I'm too impatient to wait (Y)

Obelisk
October 13th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Unforunately I'll probably just wait till the English version comes out. I know it sucks to wait that long but not very knowledgeable on using ROMS and I don't feel like importing.

SSJ4 Furanki
October 13th, 2010, 08:09 PM
- I have a legal Japanese copy.

- I will get it legally in English.

- I downloaded the ROM too and am messing with the text and making a for fun English "translation" (more like change the text that has appeared in HG/SS, etc.) of it.

Kaori
October 14th, 2010, 03:29 AM
I haven't received a Legal Copy nor am I playing the ROM as I figured it would be more logical to wait for the English Release. Since I don't understand a whole lot of Japanese and I would be confused half of the time, I decided it would be best to wait. Moreover when the English games do come out in the US, the Japanese version will most likely just sit there collecting dust while I enjoy playing the one I can actually understand throughout the region. n_n

So I'll be anticipating for the games to be released next year, while I just read up on the main/important things included in the storyline as well as researching other information about it. Usually I'd try to keep myself held back on little information as possible, but since I moderate this section I can only keep myself from knowing little about other small roles and parts in the game.

BleuVII
October 14th, 2010, 04:20 AM
Bought the Japanese copy of White, will buy the English version of Black. I live in Japan, and get to participate in the culture of pokemon. Seriously... everyone is playing it right now. As soon as I get a battle-worthy team, I'll be able to challenge people on the train and over my lunch hour (wonder how my coworkers will react when they see me challenging students in the hallway :p)

I am NOT a supporter of ROMs or illegal downloading at all! There is a purpose for emulation, and that's to play games from systems that are old, hard-to-find, and have bit the dust. It is NOT for new games. I was glad to hear of all the anti-piracy measures Nintendo has put in to these new games, and am a bit disheartened at how quickly they were cracked. Seriously, if you care that much, pay for what you use.

/rant over

Tapioca
October 14th, 2010, 05:26 AM
I have White in Japanese(for collecting and/or selling later on)(I know enough Japanese to know what's going on), and Black is preordered in English. The only ROM I've ever played is a Fire Emblem on the GBA that never came to America. Other than that, I try to avoid stealing. I only steal my music.

trash
October 14th, 2010, 05:42 AM
I can't speak Japanese therefore i'm waiting for it to be released in English.

breederabhi
October 14th, 2010, 06:18 AM
I'm using a ROM. Well, thing is I wont get those games EVER here and I probably wont get my hands on a DS in a looooong time. :(

So I just download it so that I dont miss out on anything. Problem is, I cannot battle others or trade online. D:

fenyx4
October 14th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Bought the Japanese copy of White, will buy the English version of Black. I live in Japan, and get to participate in the culture of pokemon. Seriously... everyone is playing it right now. As soon as I get a battle-worthy team, I'll be able to challenge people on the train and over my lunch hour (wonder how my coworkers will react when they see me challenging students in the hallway :p)

The BW fervor in Japan that you mentioned is awesome! :D That sounds so much fun, too! Random Pokemon challenges and battles nearly wherever you go (which is how it should be globally, to replicate the feel of the anime)! *gets all misty-eyed* Oddly enough, I had a dream a few days ago that I was riding a Japanese train where many people were playing DSes, and I shouted "I challenge all Trainers here to a Pokemon battle!" in Japanese (well, something that sounded like Japanese)... :cer_laugh:

*sigh* If I could only traverse the barrier of Generation III in the near future...then I might be able to participate in BW Wi-Fi battles... :)

Fushigidane-Chan
October 14th, 2010, 11:03 PM
I'm playing on a legal Japanese copy of White version. Even if I could download the ROM, I wouldn't.

Binary
October 14th, 2010, 11:25 PM
I've downloaded a Pokemon Black ROM, though I've not made any progress. I just wanted to see what the new region, and the pokemon look like. But because of my poor knowledge in Japanese, I've yet to even start.

I'm waiting for the English release, so that I can buy it legally.

BleuVII
October 14th, 2010, 11:59 PM
The BW fervor in Japan that you mentioned is awesome! :D That sounds so much fun, too! Random Pokemon challenges and battles nearly wherever you go (which is how it should be globally, to replicate the feel of the anime)! *gets all misty-eyed* Oddly enough, I had a dream a few days ago that I was riding a Japanese train where many people were playing DSes, and I shouted "I challenge all Trainers here to a Pokemon battle!" in Japanese (well, something that sounded like Japanese)... :cer_laugh:

*sigh* If I could only traverse the barrier of Generation III in the near future...then I might be able to participate in BW Wi-Fi battles... :)

Yeah. I'm a high-school teacher, and decided today that the staff room was boring, and I was going to start having lunch with my students in their classrooms (there is no lunch room). Four people were playing BW when I walked in. I promised them that I would bring my copy next week! Unfortunately, they're all at lvl 100! I'm at lvl 30! I have a lot of catching up to do.

Anyway, if you ever do find yourself on the Japanese train, you can shout: "Minnasan! Dareka Poketto Monster de shoubu shimashou!!!" It's not the most natural-sounding Japanese (I don't know what is), but it'll get your point across. ;)

pikachux2
October 15th, 2010, 10:30 AM
im waitin for the english game cuz i cant find an easy downloadable rom from a godd website

ngik...
October 15th, 2010, 07:01 PM
im waitin for the english game cuz i cant find an easy downloadable rom from a godd website
i'm also waiting for the english game...there's no place to download the game without paying...T_T

AshPikastar
October 15th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I'm using the Rom but I'm also waiting until the English version comes out so that I can buy it.

Logiedan
October 16th, 2010, 01:51 AM
I'm using a ROM since I don't really want to ship it and everything. I'm waiting for the English version too though.

560cool.
October 16th, 2010, 02:08 AM
I own a DSi, so there's no way I could import it and play it. Furthermore, I don't own an R4i. So, I just did my playthrough to Hiun to see how it looks like. I might continue in the future, but... I really want to pay Nintendo for their hard work. (:

Virtual Headache
October 16th, 2010, 04:30 AM
I'm too impatient to wait for the German version, so I'm playing the Japanese version. I understand some Japanese which has already helped me a few times in the game.
I have a legal copy, because playing the ROM seems to be a waste of time for me. Playing a ROM, I won't be able to trade or battle online and my training will be for nothing. Also playing the game again after I've already played it before on a ROM kinda makes it uninteresting. That's also the reason why I'm not sure whether I'm actually going to get the German version once it's released here.

fenyx4
October 16th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Yeah. I'm a high-school teacher, and decided today that the staff room was boring, and I was going to start having lunch with my students in their classrooms (there is no lunch room). Four people were playing BW when I walked in. I promised them that I would bring my copy next week! Unfortunately, they're all at lvl 100! I'm at lvl 30! I have a lot of catching up to do.

Anyway, if you ever do find yourself on the Japanese train, you can shout: "Minnasan! Dareka Poketto Monster de shoubu shimashou!!!" It's not the most natural-sounding Japanese (I don't know what is), but it'll get your point across. ;)

Awesome...I hope to try that someday on a train..! :) And it's cool that teachers and students can challenge each other to Pokemon battles during lunch; it seems like a fun way of getting to know and interacting with each other aside from the typical learning/classroom encounters and conversations. Videogames in school FTW!

I'm somewhat surprised that they have BW Pokemon at Level 100 already! In another thread I read on here it seemed like most people only raise a select few Pokemon to Level 100 (if any at all) due to the amount of time needed for such training and the monotony/repetitiveness of it...

But yeah...still waiting for the English release of Pokemon Black Version. Or more preferably, BW's third version.

kohei
October 16th, 2010, 09:38 PM

Just riding the Yamanote line from Shinjuku to Akihabara nets me something like 50 people on the すれ違い通信, and wow, I got two guys coming into my world via Highlink on the 20 min train ride.

Also at collage, walking from campus A to campus B gives me similar results too.
Never knew Pokemon was (still) so big here.

M4
October 16th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I'm currently using a ROM put into a R4. Double Illegal ftw

No I don't know ANY Japanese, I still managed to get about 18 hours into the game. Caught Kyuremu and Vinciti and... still got my master ball lol

flight
October 17th, 2010, 12:10 AM
..I'm always late when it comes to these sorta things. I really need to post/hang around here more. .__.;

Anyway, I'm one of the people that's waiting for the English release. As envious as I am of those who have gotten the Japanese release and are enjoying the game, I want to be able to understand what I'm actually playing. It makes the experience much more enjoyable to me.

SuperiorCat
October 17th, 2010, 12:16 AM
I was going to originally use a rom and emulator. But in the end, I couldn't even open Desmume, without it crashing. (Probably karma for just attempting to use a rom ;<_<) So, I went on Ebay and brought myself Pokemon Black legally, it came in the mail pretty fast and I'm now playing it for the third time as I'm typing this.

:3

saikkussu
October 17th, 2010, 12:26 AM
I am doing the most expensive thing by importing AND buying the US release. I buy/import them asap and play them raw until the english patches come out. Then i make/dump my own roms so I can use the patches to understand the story better as i play. But the patches are only to hold me over until I get the legit US version. so thats like.... 3 sets? XD I am so impatient/addicted.

RainbowWing
October 17th, 2010, 05:18 AM
I'm just waiting for the English version, mostly because that i don't understand Japanese well...

I would play a ROM if i downloaded the ROM properly, but that will never happen.