PDA

View Full Version : [Weekly Poll] Generation V as a "rebirth" [ #3 ]

Kaori
October 17th, 2010, 05:31 AM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:4KiVcBRwybKpGM:http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab254/GizaPika101/pokemon-black-white-box-art.gif&t=1

Whether you actually consider Generation V to be a true "rebirth" of Pokemon (as it has been proclaimed as by Game Freak), or just another run-of-the-mill Pokemon Generation with new Pokemon, some new moves and abilities, and a few new features. Or, could it even be considered a step backwards for Pokemon, changing too many established features of Pokemon and alienating some fans from what has made Pokemon, Pokemon over the years?

You decide on if Black and White is just your average new Pokémon generation with no new things to warrant being called a "rebirth", a step backwards for Pokémon, or a true rebirth for the series.

Poll idea from fenyx4. :)

Kevin
October 17th, 2010, 05:38 AM
When I look at B/W, I think; WOW, there's ton of changes. So I think it's a rebirth. Like the new graphics, new Pokemon animations, seasons, and more I can't think of at the moment.

Forever
October 17th, 2010, 05:40 AM
In a sense, I think it is. There's brand new Pokemon, who replace the roles of past ones (like Gear, Gigiasu, Churine, etc), as well as having little association to the past (besides Cynthia and a few other things), but... I think it is a rebirth. Everything is all new and the world is new, it's far away from the other places, so... in that way, it is.

As a whole? No, Pokemon is and always will be the same series, even if the Pokemon don't look like "Pokemon" are meant to. Though overall, it's brand new, which is what matters. It's a rebirth, but not a complete one, if you understand me. XD;

PlatinumDude
October 17th, 2010, 05:55 AM
I'd consider B/W as my average new generation of Pokemon games. True, the other 493 Pokemon aren't obtainable till after the National Dex (including the Pikachu family), but Cynthia's appearance and the new game mechanics were there as well, despite the fact that B/W was supposed to be the rebirth of Pokemon.

AshPikastar
October 17th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Its like a rebirth to me. The new effects, and battle style like Triple battle.

Angelique
October 17th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Although I liked the upgraded graphics, animations, and plot, I only liked a handful of Pokemon. I did not appreciate the new Pokemon replacing the old. I hate some of the BW legendaries (e.g. genie and 3 musketeers that don't resemble musketeers). There should always be "new" Pokemon but nothing outrageous like 3 genie clones and 3 monkey clones. At least Deoxys doesn't require a new Pokedex number. The melody legendary Pokemon is unique... So, BW has its pros and cons. I say BW is average, like most latter gens. -pokes Skitty, Glameow, and Choroneko-

CharCopter
October 17th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I think of the 5th gen as a huge rebirth. So many different things and a whole new look. I am really digging this gen a lot.

Silver Metagross
October 17th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I don't think it was a total 'rebirth'. While there are a ton of new features, pokemon, moves and abilities, a 'rebirth' signifies that previous generations would become... outdated? But this is not the case. The 156 new pokemon are not completely separated from previous gens. They still continue from the previous national dex. A true 'rebirth' would be similar to generation III with no backwards capability and would have to change something significant, something gen V does not do. It adds more but doesn't change the basic principles of the game that have been the same since gen III. So I think that, while gen V is a huge step forward in almost all aspects of pokemon games, it does not do enough differently from past iterations to be a 'rebirth'.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
October 17th, 2010, 09:58 AM
I think gen 3 had more changes when you remove the dream world and the high link ect. that require wi-fi from gen 5...so it's average for me

Corruptodile
October 17th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I voted rebirth. There isn't any evolutions for previous pokemon which is a start. The area is nowhere near based on Japan, the scenery is different. New features, such as Triple battles and Dream World also give it a cliche. This generation is possibly my favourite.

Bluerang1
October 17th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I think it's just your average Pokemon game. It's the same gameline isn't it? I have yet to play it, but know how awesome it is, but it isn't really a rebirth. it just has more features ^_^ Like RSE

HaloSonic
October 17th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Black/White seems just like the usual step forward that takes place.. i think after jumping into worldwide trading, there isnt that much more you can do on the level of revolutionary. although reverse abilities in the dream World helps with new strategies.

Zennerick
October 17th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I believe it's a new rebirth for Pokemon. I never had so much fun playing a Pokemon game since Emerald. I believe they are also testing the limits of possibilities. Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, to me, seemed much of a fail; a lack of originality and design. Pokemon Black and White has so much originality in the Pokemon and Pokemon designs, character designs, graphical features, and storyline. It's nice to see some creative Pokemon for once. I've only expected to see Pokemon designs like these from a Pokemon hacked ROM until now. Even the little features like the word bubble-like dialogue is a step up; it helps the player a bit to better understand who's talking.

Aragh
October 17th, 2010, 10:54 AM
While there are a lot of new features and concepts, I can't say it's a total rebirth. The main idea of the game has stayed the same, albeit with a somewhat different storyline and all the new features. If you think about it though, the new stuff isn't all that different. Sure, triple battles are cool, but double battles were viewed the same way when they came out and no one saw them as being exactly revolutionary. The only thing that I see as being that different this generation is the dream world, and I hardly think that's enough to call the whole generation a rebirth.

Fushigidane-Chan
October 17th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I'm not going to call Generation 5 a step backwards, but it's lacking in departments Generation 4 excelled in. There's a lack of replay value, and overall not too much content. Isshu is rather small and generic in comparison to Sinnoh, and unnecessarily linear. And the difficulty curve is much too low.

Nevertheless, Generation 5 introduced great Pokemon (for the most part), cool characters, a fantastic plot (by Pokemon standards), and beautiful graphics.

Just like Generations 3 and 4, there are somethings missing which weren't missing before, but overall, there are more improvements than disappointments. It's an average generation.

MrsNorrington
October 17th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I have to say that it's just an average new generation of Pokemon. I didn't get the sense that it was a rebirth at all. Still a great game though. I guess the only feel of rebirth comes from the fact that the new region is based off of America, not Japan.

Haza
October 17th, 2010, 11:20 AM
The only thing that really give it the feel of the rebirth is the amount of obvious "parallel Pokemon". Other than that ut was that much if a drastic change,

Obelisk
October 17th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I voted for the average new generation.

Looking at Gen 5 it doesn't really speak "rebirth" to me. I haven't checked thoroughly threw all of the new changes but none of them seem mind blowingly different then the other poke games. Aside from the new Dream World feature, which seems very interesting, everything seems pretty standard. The 3d is nice but Pokemon has been visually enhanced during every generation.

I feel Gen 4 might have been more of a rebirth. I mean there were so many new features that differed from R/S/E and the previous gens. Wifi was a major breakthrough and brought about global trading and such.

While Gen 5 is awesome and does look cool I don't think it is a "rebirth".

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
October 17th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I voted for the average new generation.

Looking at Gen 5 it doesn't really speak "rebirth" to me. I haven't checked thoroughly threw all of the new changes but none of them seem mind blowingly different then the other poke games. Aside from the new Dream World feature, which seems very interesting, everything seems pretty standard. The 3d is nice but Pokemon has been visually enhanced during every generation.

I feel Gen 4 might have been more of a rebirth. I mean there were so many new features that differed from R/S/E and the previous gens. Wifi was a major breakthrough and brought about global trading and such.

While Gen 5 is awesome and does look cool I don't think it is a "rebirth".Same here except for me it was a Gen III as a true "Rebirth" it introduced new ingame mechanics, natures, ivs, several new pokemon the second most introduced in a gen (not counting gen 1), two evil teams, a plot that revolves around the legendary, Remakes of old games (FrLg) it practically set lots of patterns for the next two Gens.
Plus it prevented trading from the last two gen's cutting it off from the past gens making it very rebirth like.

Shuckle>You
October 17th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I voted before thinking. I said a step back, but I didn't think about what I liked. I find it not average, a rebirth or a step back, to be honest. I find it a mix of the lot. Eg:

Rebirth:
More pokemon evolve with stones and through normal trading - I missed this during generations 2-4.
The plot is pretty good
Completely rethought the Elite 4.

Step Backs:
There is a lack in originality in the Pokemon, I think. I just don't get the feeling of many if the new pokemon being Pokemon. They just feel like weird monsters to me. I loved the way Seal was just a seel, Meowth was a cat, Hoothoot was an owl, Torchic was a chick, Starly was a starling. Upto gen 4 I've had the animal feeling. I think generation 5 was rushed in the most important aspect - the pokemon.
Tge graphics ruined this for me. I liked being able to walk like I'm a pokemon character, and not take like two minutes to cross a bridge.

o0PinkSquid0o
October 17th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I think its just a new feature filled rebirth!
Its awesome and reminds me of teh old games but with so much new contents

I <3 it

PsychoJigglypuff
October 17th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I'm not sure if I would call it a rebirth of the series, but it was certainly a rebirth of my attention and love of Pokemon. It was kind of getting stale to me, honestly. During the 4th Gen, I would literally get bored and put the game down for a while. HG/SS was more interesting, because Johto is my favorite region, but even that got boring for me during the Kanto part of it.

With Black and White, however, I was really excited for it. I pre-ordered the Japanese version of the game, and I have never done that before. As soon as I got it, I couldn't put it down. It's still fun for me, even now that I've had it for a month.

Kamigoroshi
October 17th, 2010, 04:05 PM
To me it's just another run-of-the-mill Pokemon Generation. Better graphics/animations and sounds/music, as well as new pokemon are a giving since B/W is designed for the Nintendo 3DS after all. The only worthwhile 'new' feature presented in this new generation imho are the seasonal changes. Though one could argue even those are just the recycled day/night circle ideas from HG/SS, only with different colour palettes+weather changes added.

Livewire
October 17th, 2010, 08:46 PM
It is a complete and total revamp of the Pokemon franchise, and I loved it. It's the best game Pokemon game, in my opinion. And I'm not the only one that thinks that.

Hiroshi Sotomura
October 17th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I believe B/W raises the bar for the series. Introduces a lot of cool mechanics, the graphics are cool, and the story is… different. Vastly.

twistedpuppy
October 17th, 2010, 10:17 PM
For me it's an average new Pokémon generation. To imply that it's a "true rebirth" would mean that the gameplay and genre of the series has changed completely. Yes it has all new bells and whistles like animated sprites, a revamped style of battling, and other nifty little features (Dream World). But when you get down to the point it's still the same RPG we've all come to love.

Esper
October 18th, 2010, 06:09 PM
To me it feels like they made a game (okay, two nearly identical games) that the original Gen I games had the potential to be. I don't think it's perfect, but it's got the "everything is new" feeling that has to be there to call it a rebirth. All the new pokemon that hint back to the originals make it even stronger.

★Pikachu★™
October 18th, 2010, 06:23 PM
This game will attract many game lovers. And it is a lot more epic than the other games :P

Great Graphics. And 3D effects

BleuVII
October 19th, 2010, 12:27 AM
I voted "rebirth," but like others, have a few things that would detract from that. First off, here's why I voted "rebirth":

Gen IV seemed all about adding as many new features as possible. Gen V is all about figuring out what the Pokémon franchise is good at and sticking to it. No ridiculous evolution methods. No trying to trump the pokemon that came before it. And no regional pokedex that simply tries to fill in the holes of the existing pokedex. This game wants to be its own game, and it does it in the most enjoyable way possible.

Also... no Zubats, Geodudes, or Tentacools anywhere!!!!!

HOWEVER, here are a couple of minuses:
- The menu system actually manages to be WORSE than HG/SS. Umm... why? Specifically in changing pokemon into/out of your party. It DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THIS COMPLICATED GAMEFREAK.
- There still is no way to check the effects of a move without going through tons and tons of menus. Why couldn't the "Select" button simply bring up a box saying what a move does?
- They made a great move forward in making TMs reusable, but for some inexplicable reason still have HMs. Missed. Opportunity.

Gulpin
October 19th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I think that it is partially a run of the mill Pokemon game, due to the same basics - gyms, elite four, etc. - but it was also a really effective way of starting fresh by not having old Pokemon usable until after the main story and by adding so many new and awesome graphics and effects. So, for me it is in between run of the mill and rebirth.

Tony Stark
October 20th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I voted rebirth, because of the large amount of new features present in the games, and GF did a good job of making the idea that Isshu is brand new, seperate from the previous generations.

560cool.
October 23rd, 2010, 01:18 PM
BW brought a ton of new stuff to the table. It's like the new popcorn you buy after finishing the old resources. =D It's all up to the person if they like it or not.
I totally enjoy the features. Why not clean everything, and show us new stuff ? Why not badass graphics ? Why not badass team with the best storyline ever. More dialogue than ever, 2 rivals, female professor, 2 vendor trashes (Minezum, Yoorterri x.x) and even moar. :-D
So yeah, it is a rebirth. A genius one. And I am silently awaiting RS remakes... *imagines Rustboro as Hiun, Slateport goes 3D, Fortree goes mad*

Amai
October 23rd, 2010, 01:31 PM
I think it's a rebirth to be honest.

I also think the 3 people who voted saying it was a step backwards are just angry that their unrealistic wants didn't come true.

Mew~
October 23rd, 2010, 02:00 PM
I didn't use the poll since I don't agree with any of the options :O I guess, I don't really think it's a rebirth but it still just kinda carries on with the old games in an awsome way :) I don't this is an average new geenration because I really, really enjoyed the games, more than ive enjoyed much of any game, im pretty sure it's not a step back though xD