PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: PokéCommunity Trading Cards

[Your Name Here]
October 24th, 2010, 07:22 AM
I had an idea of a little game for PokéCommunity. It's a little trading card game. Here's how it works:

There are four types of Pokémon Cards: Type 1, Type 2, Type 3 and Type 4.
All Type 4 cards are super rare, while only certain cards of all three types are rare.
Some Type 1, 2 and 3 cards are common, while some are uncommon or rare.
Type 1 are basic, un-evolved, non-evolving, non-legendary and baby Pokémon.
Type 2 are first-stage Pokémon.
Type 3 are second-stage and non-legendary event Pokémon.
Type 4 are legendary Pokémon.
Each user gets 10 random cards.
These cards can be used as rewards for contests, games, (etc.) ran by mods and admins.
They can be given as gifts or traded.
All the Pokémon, including XD001, Primal Dialga, Spiky-eared Pichu, Missingno. Bad Egg, and Unown (A), and their forms (except for the other Unown, Genesect's forms and Arceus's forms) are cards.
Comment, please.

Fox♠
October 24th, 2010, 07:34 AM
I thought this was going to be based on Pokecommunity itself.

Gardenia101
October 24th, 2010, 07:41 AM
That would actually be a great idea (I mean, what Fox just said)
It's like:

Person 1:"Awesome! i just got the rare Hiidoran card!"
Person 2:"Oh yeah? I got a Rukario card!"
Person 1:"OMG YOU DO!? I'll trade you Lightning and twocows for it!"

Cards for Staff Members and active members...... that would be cool if somebody bothered to make them!

Team Fail
October 24th, 2010, 08:28 AM
That would actually be a great idea (I mean, what Fox just said)
It's like:

Person 1:"Awesome! i just got the rare Hiidoran card!"
Person 2:"Oh yeah? I got a Rukario card!"
Person 1:"OMG YOU DO!? I'll trade you Lightning and twocows for it!"

Cards for Staff Members and active members...... that would be cool if somebody bothered to make them!

I second this. That is the best way to do it. And their images are based on their avatars. They are never the same. But, can members make their own?

[Your Name Here]
October 24th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Well, there could also be four more categories for staff and community members!

King Goodra
October 24th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Whatever happened to emblems?

We pretty much have these. You just can't trade them with other people and they aren't entirely based on Pokémon. I don't think I'd like adding this when we already have emblems, since there'd be so much to do and it'll likely take the place of emblems and I'm not so good with the idea of getting rid of emblems, if that's suggested as a work around.

Hybrid Trainer
October 24th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I really like this idea. It gives people with busy lives something extra to do on the forum.
Like you said there are emblems but there are a lot of busy pokemon fans who cant afford the time to earn the emblems. This would be easier for people to take pride in there accounts :P

Team Fail
October 24th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Whatever happened to emblems?

We pretty much have these. You just can't trade them with other people and they aren't entirely based on Pokémon. I don't think I'd like adding this when we already have emblems, since there'd be so much to do and it'll likely take the place of emblems and I'm not so good with the idea of getting rid of emblems, if that's suggested as a work around.

Well, when you think about it, an EMBLEM is given by completing a specific task, for example, the "Color-cordinated" emblem, that is noticed by a member of staff. TRADING CARDS could be obtained via a points system, like whenever you post, you get X amount, and replying to a topic gets you X amount as well. Then, you could go to a "Card Shop" and get a staff member card/regular member card, or get it from their User Profile and spend the points on the member cards.

donavannj
October 24th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Well, when you think about it, an EMBLEM is given by completing a specific task, for example, the "Color-cordinated" emblem, that is noticed by a member of staff. TRADING CARDS could be obtained via a points system, like whenever you post, you get X amount, and replying to a topic gets you X amount as well. Then, you could go to a "Card Shop" and get a staff member card/regular member card, or get it from their User Profile and spend the points on the member cards.

That sounds highly server straining, actually. :(

Hybrid Trainer
October 24th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Yea i think getting a point system is a step too far.
Isn't there another you could earn them?
Like every person gets to make there own card after being on the forum so long (lets say a year or two) and then they give them out to people who they like or have gotten along with.

countryemo
October 24th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Well we do have emblems but those are not that related to trading cards? :P

I think this is a pretty cool idea. I mean Trading cards is a nice thing do everywhere. Im up for it.

[Something I might particpate in]

Something I dont get is how this would all work out, like viewing/trading. Viewing I guess it can be on the profiles somewhere? But then you have ask staff to switch? I dont know

But I would love to see how this works out!

Daydream
October 24th, 2010, 12:13 PM
It sounds like a fun idea, but it could potentially 'cause problems, people getting upset, etc.

For example, what if no one wanted a Daydream card because it wasn't "powerful" enough(maybe because people don't really know that person)? I might get really sad and leave the forums or something. Not saying I would but you understand the example, which involves seeing people alienated and left out.

Just my two cents. (:

King Goodra
October 24th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I can't say I like the idea of objectifying members of the community, creating cards out of them, and having members go around trading them. Seems a little too materialistic for me on a forum. For reasons Daydream said, people could become upset if they stumble across someone who has a card of them and wants to trade it away.

So with that reason alone, I don't support this. Along with server strains and the work staff members would have to put into this, it puts me in an even more oppositional position.

Timbjerr
October 24th, 2010, 01:06 PM
It sounds like a fun idea, but it could potentially 'cause problems, people getting upset, etc.

For example, what if no one wanted a Daydream card because it wasn't "powerful" enough(maybe because people don't really know that person)? I might get really sad and leave the forums or something. Not saying I would but you understand the example, which involves seeing people alienated and left out.

Just my two cents. (:

The solution I see to this is taking away the trading concept. Every active member has a limitless supply of their own card that they can gift to others by recognizing one of their posts as outstanding or whatnot.

But then again, that'd be just like emblems except members can throw them around too. :/

Hybrid Trainer
October 24th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Well I've seen plug-ins for forums that create an image that contains stuff like there avatar and there status and post count.
these things could affect how good the card is and so the member its based off could change how good the card is.
Plus i don't see why the member can't withdraw there card.

AceDragonite
October 24th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I can't say I like the idea of objectifying members of the community, creating cards out of them, and having members go around trading them. Seems a little too materialistic for me on a forum. For reasons Daydream said, people could become upset if they stumble across someone who has a card of them and wants to trade it away.

So with that reason alone, I don't support this. Along with server strains and the work staff members would have to put into this, it puts me in an even more oppositional position.

I agree with this statement, I mean obviously we can't have one for every single member, so I'm assuming you all mean one for the mods. Having cards for the staff members, seems like a bad idea too, it just puts them on more of a rift then regular forum members, and lets face it, say Scarf were to yell at someone (just giving an example), and someone got butthurt and traded her card away. So, point and case, bad idea.

King Goodra
October 24th, 2010, 02:23 PM
The solution I see to this is taking away the trading concept. Every active member has a limitless supply of their own card that they can gift to others by recognizing one of their posts as outstanding or whatnot.

But then again, that'd be just like emblems except members can throw them around too. :/
Then that's just like staff ego emblems, only for everyone.

I don't really see the point in it for the reasons I stated before, and the fact that it would make emblems rather pointless and invaluable. I don't want to be a negative Nancy or a Debbie downer. I think that this is a nice idea, just not for this forum and not using real people.

Bolens
October 24th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Well here is one I whipped up quick, not to good, but an example at that.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/1585/manipulation.png

AceDragonite
October 24th, 2010, 03:29 PM

this is exactly the disaster that would happen if we decided to get them, which I'm pretty sure Patchisou Yutohru already veto'd. "Ban User" as an attack, this is...just ridiculous imho.

Hiidoran
October 24th, 2010, 03:45 PM
If you really wanted to make cards of each other and trade 'em, you could technically do this by making them yourself and placing them in your signatures...? Just an idea if you really wanna go through with it. :o Just, uh, make sure they're no larger than 500 x 300 pixels, of course.

As for an official system... I do think it's a really creative idea, and I think it would rock to have a card of myself being traded around, but I gotta agree with Nick. :x This would just cause a lot of issues, and we already have something like this in the form of staff ego emblems. Totally need to get around to making mine...

AceDragonite
October 24th, 2010, 03:47 PM
If you really wanted to make cards of each other and trade 'em, you could technically do this by making them yourself and placing them in your signatures...? Just an idea if you really wanna go through with it. :o Just, uh, make sure they're no larger than 500 x 300 pixels, of course.

As for an official system... I do think it's a really creative idea, and I think it would rock to have a card of myself being traded around, but I gotta agree with Nick. :x This would just cause a lot of issues, and we already have something like this in the form of staff ego emblems. Totally need to get around to making mine...

voiced perfectly. Tbh it sounds like fun, but its not the right direction for the forum imho. It puts staff on a very high pedestal.

Constantinople
October 24th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Interesting idea. Might be fun to try but I wouldn't really want it to be anything official.

Melody
October 24th, 2010, 03:49 PM
No use in drawing it...the idea is being shot down.

Here's how I visualize it being implemented. I understand how challenging it would indeed be, so I certainly don't expect it to happen...just throwing this out there to show everyone how much of a pain it could be...and how boring it's actual "fair" implementation would be.

Personally I like the idea of members being able to give out a limitless supply of their own "Card". Once given, the card cannot be taken back and that person cannot receive another card from that member. If that member wants to give the same member another boost, they merely boost the number on the card. (The power of the card)

Naturally the cards themselves would be not unlike the "ego emblems".
If volume of cards is a problem...requirements to distribute cards can be set so that for example only supporters of a certain tier or people who have been at PC for longer than X years can hand them out. Additionally requirements to receive cards like a minimum post count and account age could be put into place.

You could theoretically be prevented from giving a card or 'power up' to someone who gave you a card or 'power up' (if you could give any) for a certain period of time...anywhere from 24 hours to a week perhaps...this would break any "chains" of members spamming the system. If chaining persists...exponentially rising 'cool down' times could be implemented to grind chains to a halt. (Ranging from the usual week to an entire month or two before being able to give a card/power up to someone you've received a card/power-up from)

The cards themselves would not need custom graphics, they'd consist of the user's current avatar, username and power score in text...no fancy card template or attacks...why bother with more? The cards themselves would merely be a way for individual members to pat each other on the backs. You would not be able to deduct power or revoke the card once given.

Staff cards would have no bonuses, all cards would begin with a base score of 10 and go up from there.

As far as people giving multiple cards/power-ups to the same person, usual rules like post comments follow would not be unacceptable. You could give a card/power-up to someone once a day. (24 hours)

Now hopefully to all you people who have ever written even a web page, a computer program, a script, or any similar thing...I hope you can visualize how difficult this system would be to code from scratch...and any "add-on" you may find for vB is not guaranteed to address our needs and desired rules for the system. The above rules are purely hypothetical, but are designed with the intent to prevent any abuse...as we DO have immature members here. (Not all of us are immature, but some of us are...whether we are aware of it or not is not an issue here...I am just stating fact.)

With all of that being said, I do think this is a creative idea. It's just not easily implementable...and PC has enough server strain as it stands, so my voice and mind says NO.

Cilerba
October 24th, 2010, 03:58 PM
This idea does seem creative, and isn't that bad, but in my opinion, it would ruin the community by having members be put into Trading Cards. It just doesn't seem right.

Platinum Lucario
October 25th, 2010, 04:26 AM
OK, it seems as if we're talking here about creating something in which resembles a Pokémon Trading Card Game card, in which is called a PokéCommunity Trading Card, if I am not mistaken. Well, as alot of people would know about this... it would be quite a problem if one was created.

Not to be mean or anything, but I don't think you realize that PokéCommunity's server is pretty unstable. So any big feature that is implemented can cause the Database to crash.

Just my two cents. (:
Yeah, indeed... people would feel as if it was being very mean towards them. It would also pretty much cause fights if something like that was implemented.
Well I've seen plug-ins for forums that create an image that contains stuff like there avatar and there status and post count.
these things could affect how good the card is and so the member its based off could change how good the card is.
Plus i don't see why the member can't withdraw there card.
Not to also mention some server straining issues. So have I seen some status plugins and stuff. But the server is indeed the reason why there has been no more big features implemented.

That artwork of the card looks really nice, to be honest, but I wonder how Manipulation would feel about that? I don't think he would appreciate it. And besides... a moderator can't exactly ban a user, they can infract, delete posts, delete threads, move threads, merge posts, merge threads and disable signatures. It's only the automated banning system that bans a user upon getting a certain ammount of infractions.

Me too, I also think it was a wonderful idea. Sad to say... but a feature like that might knock out the database often, like everyone else stated above. And I'd have to say... if that trading card really was put in a signature, it would be like... "aaahhh, too tall". xD
Which like you said... "make sure they're no larger than 500 x 300 pixels".

Fox♠
October 25th, 2010, 04:46 AM
But imagine the coverted Ex moderator Fox and Mobile Tsk cards, imagine how rare they'd be Nick :(

digi-kun
October 25th, 2010, 12:08 PM

Bah, the Magic TCG system would make for a much better implementation of a card game than the Pokemon system

Gardenia101
October 25th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Maybe we should operate the scripts on a different server.

Heart's Soul
October 28th, 2010, 03:08 PM
It's a wonderful idea, but only the members who want to participate should get themselves made into a card. And "Ban User"? That is the exact reason why this is being shot down.

I'd love a Touhou card of me, though.