PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: General Everyday Guides/Tips

Cello
October 25th, 2010, 09:16 AM
This is something i've seen on various forums before and I wouldn't mind seeing it here as somewhat of a treat for us experienced in a certain field/devoted to writing and helpful to the rest who are dying to learn something.

A General Guides/Tips section for basically everyday tasks, hobbies, etc etc. Completely unrelated to hacking, of course.
I suppose it could fall under the creative discussion section.

A section for guides on just basically anything and everything. Guitar lessons, photoshop lessons, HTTP coding lessons, cooking lessons, knitting lessons, etc etc.
And maybe have a sticky thread for suggestions on things to be written, too.

I know it's kind of an off-the-wall random suggestion, but I think it would be an interesting and colorful area for those looking to pick up something new, and fun for those willing to teach others or show everyone what you have a knack for.

I thought it sounded like fun, anyways.

Platinum Lucario
October 25th, 2010, 09:57 AM
This is something i've seen on various forums before and I wouldn't mind seeing it here as somewhat of a treat for us experienced in a certain field/devoted to writing and helpful to the rest who are dying to learn something.

A General Guides/Tips section for basically everyday tasks, hobbies, etc etc. Completely unrelated to hacking, of course.
I suppose it could fall under the creative discussion section.

A section for guides on just basically anything and everything. Guitar lessons, photoshop lessons, HTTP coding lessons, cooking lessons, knitting lessons, etc etc.
And maybe have a sticky thread for suggestions on things to be written, too.

I know it's kind of an off-the-wall random suggestion, but I think it would be an interesting and colorful area for those looking to pick up something new, and fun for those willing to teach others or show everyone what you have a knack for.

I thought it sounded like fun, anyways.

OK, well there is many reasons why we don't need this, not to be mean or anything, but here's the reasons why:

There is already a guide for how to use PokéCommunity, check the FAQs by clicking here (http://www.pokecommunity.com/faq.php).

You can check the stickied threads in the different forums.

There are document threads made on how to use them.

I hope this information has helped you. ^^

Cello
October 25th, 2010, 10:10 AM
OK, well there is many reasons why we don't need this, not to be mean or anything, but here's the reasons why:

There is already a guide for how to use PokéCommunity, check the FAQs by clicking here (http://www.pokecommunity.com/faq.php).

You can check the stickied threads in the different forums.

There are document threads made on how to use them.

I hope this information has helped you. ^^

No it didn't actually, ha.
That sounded like something I would expect to hear from an auto-response email bot to be honest.
Perhaps you misunderstood or just didn't read altogether.

By no means do I need any help learning how to use PokeCommunity.

This is a suggestion for a subforum on tips/guides written by users who wish to share their knowledge to the members who want to learn.
These guides or guide series written generally consist of a talent they wish to share with others who are interested, be it cooking, web coding, music, film, whatever.

I appreciate you trying to understand, nonetheless.

Platinum Lucario
October 25th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I think I must've rushed my post, I must appologize for that. And I must appologize for not reading the whole post until now. At least I've learned my lession of posting before everyone else does, I know... it was very stupid of me to do that. x.x

Anyways... hm... guides on how to do things that are not relating to ROM Hacking stuff. Hm... like life skills or something? I wonder if PokéCommunity really does have something like that? I guess I haven't read any of the other forums other than Emulation, Community Questions & Feedback, and a few others. I'd say it would be helpful to people who wish to learn how to do things that they really would like to do in life. But then again, does the Computers & Technology section have PhotoShop lessio...
Oh nevermind, it doesn't. Or maybe it's because I didn't look hard enough in the search threads funtion? So it seems as if I wasn't able to find such things. Hm... I wonder if there's a guide on how to use Visual Studio to creating programs to edit files and read them? *checks the Computers & Technology section again* Looks to me like I can't find a guide for that either, I could only find a few help threads regarding on those programs in there. I guess that leaves me with one option... which is to support this idea!

Like I would also like to learn how to use Microsoft Visual Studio so that I can create programs that will be able to edit files and view them. Like for reading a ROM or something so it could become a map editor or something. Prahaps I'm not looking hard enough, but yeah... if there was a forum on having those guides... then I'd sure be able to learn how. And ohhh yes, it sure would be so helpful! So yeah, I thought I may as well support this idea before I get to sleep, since it's already 5:42 AM here.

Again though... I do appologize for not reading the first post carefully, after all... humans never stop learning. And of course... I do learn new things everyday... like everyone else does. I would be more than happy to see a guide on creating a tool for editing ROMs and stuff.

Melody
October 25th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Honestly I can see this being a really GOOD idea as a sub-forum to OC initially. Now why a Sub to OC? Because OC itself likes to lend itself to debate/discussion threads...and the guides would be spammed by pointless discussion if they were expected to build up in volume the normal way: through having so many threads of that type that the staff can't ignore it's need for a subforum.

The guides would not survive in the atmosphere that OC gives off...they do need their own section, possibly even going as far as requiring moderator approval before being posted, to ensure top quality guides are being posted, and NOTHING unsavory makes it into our collection of miscellaneous guides. Really there aren't any other forums suited for guides not strictly related to or suited for any other subforum on PC.

Now I know the logical answer to this is the all-too-typical "Just ****ing Google It"...This is not always the answer, no matter how much we wish it were quite that simple. Wouldn't it just be nice to be able to have somewhere to check to see if research has already been conducted on the same topic? Even if the guide in question is nothing more than a paraphrased copypasta with links to the source page and citations in proper order....it would indeed serve a higher purpose and help to deter people from going into OC and joining in on discussions while grossly under-informed. What I am implying by this is that guides on things like religions and how a person's sexuality is usually determined would be useful as citation material...further research would not need to be done, and the members of PC who enjoy OC would be more informed if they so chose to utilize this resource. Trolls would have even less reason than they do now, to inflame discussions...and there might be fewer people who post extremely slanted things in argument to threads, thus becoming either trolls themselves, or large stationary targets for trolls (or perfectly sane people who are offended by that viewpoint) to flame.

Now of course, we would definitely need to ensure that for sensitive topics, that all guides are written with as much neutrality as possible, but as I said...that's a simple matter of moderator approval for such guides.

The thread for each individual guide would harbor it's own discussion until it dies, meaning month old threads are closed to prevent any thread revival.

Spinor
October 25th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Well, I guess this would probably be a pretty good idea. I never really thought of having something like that, but it'd really be a convenient thing.

What I think, however, is that probably half of the guides would be technology related. And the other half not many people are going to give mind. So maybe just a technology orientated kind of Guide/Tips forum. But of course, I may be wrong on how many people will want to find something other than tech stuff. Maybe both kinds of sub-forums can be implemented.

Either way, I'd be in full support of something like this.

ANARCHit3cht
October 25th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I give 75% support of this.

It would be fantastic to see all the different "Life-tips guides." There are many good reasons that are already stated.

I am opposed to this because of a few reasons. People will have disagreements about the guides, which could learn to flamewars and etc. Also, we couldn't just let in any rubbish guide, which would mean that it would have to be moderated. We also can't have thirty guides on "Playing Guitar" which would lead people to get all pissy when they can't state their opinion.

:/ I would love to see this, but only if it could be implemented in a fair way.

Cello
October 25th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Well, I guess this would probably be a pretty good idea. I never really thought of having something like that, but it'd really be a convenient thing.

What I think, however, is that probably half of the guides would be technology related. And the other half not many people are going to give mind. So maybe just a technology orientated kind of Guide/Tips forum. But of course, I may be wrong on how many people will want to find something other than tech stuff. Maybe both kinds of sub-forums can be implemented.

Either way, I'd be in full support of something like this.

I do think there are going to be a lot of technology-related entries. However, I also feel that we have a lot of very talented people roaming around this forum who would be willing to share their knowledge of their talent with everyone else who roams the forum, wether it require the use of technology or not.

I myself would actually be interested in posting a guide on the creative process of game development, being a student in game art/design. It is a heavy technologic field, but it doesn't always have to be when it comes to sitting down in front of the drawing board.

But even with all that being said, technology is used for everything these days. :P
Art (Photoshop), writing(Microsoft Word?), music (FL Studio), film(Final Cut, After Effects), animation (Flash), bahhh (bahhh).

I give 75% support of this.

It would be fantastic to see all the different "Life-tips guides." There are many good reasons that are already stated.

I am opposed to this because of a few reasons. People will have disagreements about the guides, which could learn to flamewars and etc. Also, we couldn't just let in any rubbish guide, which would mean that it would have to be moderated. We also can't have thirty guides on "Playing Guitar" which would lead people to get all pissy when they can't state their opinion.

:/ I would love to see this, but only if it could be implemented in a fair way.

I see where you're coming from. It may would leave quite a few people with duplicate guides a bit competitive towards one another, but when we look at an already existing guide section to this forum (in the hacking section) there are actually duplicate guides on things like mapping/tile insertion/other methods.

It's just a matter of refining your guide to be unique in it's own way.

The only thing I would see posing a problem is newbies posting "help" topics, be it that they are unrelated or just spam altogether, which is why I do believe the forum would definitely need to be moderated. That or have moderators approve threads before having them posted on a very regular basis.

countryemo
October 25th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I see this is a great idea
Some Guides could fit in other and get lost.. but a place to put them all? Magic!
Plus I might see some cooking recipe's ect. cooking up. xD <- we got nowhere. I think.

You have my support, we need something like this, heck most of us is in out teen/adult years (O_O, wait this yeah thats right) so we gotta learn life stuff! :D

Forever
October 25th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I actually like this idea - but only if it's less Internet based, because I think that tutorials for certain things relating to technology, etc, would go into the necessary forums already (and maybe have a sticky in the forum linking all the major computer/technology type guides?)

But as for everything else, general things (like cooking was mentioned)? That could actually be pretty helpful - but I agree that the forum should be moderated, though. And, if possible, to allow no replies to the guides. That may sound pointless at first, but think about it. If all the replies are "wow this guide is good I'm going to use it", then it's just spam (either that or turn off postcount in that forum). Plus, adbots would really enjoy it, considering a lot of them do tend to say "thank you for this guide!! really helped", or something along those lines, which makes it harder to detect adbots. :x

...either way, just my thoughts on it. The idea sounds nice, but also sounds hard to put in place, imo. Plus I'm not sure whether people would be willing to post guides due to fear of what people would think, general uninterest, etc (and there might be stealing other people's guides somewhere else online and claiming it to be yours, unless there's a sticky for links to Internet-based guides too, but that sort of defeats the purpose of PC hosting one).

Cello
October 25th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I actually like this idea - but only if it's less Internet based, because I think that tutorials for certain things relating to technology, etc, would go into the necessary forums already (and maybe have a sticky in the forum linking all the major computer/technology type guides?)

But as for everything else, general things (like cooking was mentioned)? That could actually be pretty helpful - but I agree that the forum should be moderated, though. And, if possible, to allow no replies to the guides. That may sound pointless at first, but think about it. If all the replies are "wow this guide is good I'm going to use it", then it's just spam (either that or turn off postcount in that forum). Plus, adbots would really enjoy it, considering a lot of them do tend to say "thank you for this guide!! really helped", or something along those lines, which makes it harder to detect adbots. :x

...either way, just my thoughts on it. The idea sounds nice, but also sounds hard to put in place, imo. Plus I'm not sure whether people would be willing to post guides due to fear of what people would think, general uninterest, etc (and there might be stealing other people's guides somewhere else online and claiming it to be yours, unless there's a sticky for links to Internet-based guides too, but that sort of defeats the purpose of PC hosting one).

I understand what you mean by the short sentence response spam, but I feel that if the ability to respond to these threads were cut off, it would make the author feel as if what they just wrote was useless.
They wouldn't know whether or not their guide actually helped anybody, if they need to improve their guide, or see the end results by getting people to perhaps post what they were able to accomplish by following the guides.

And although the readers have the ability to contact the author, it would be more of a lack of convenience not being able to post in the topic itself.

Looking at the hacking guides section, all seems to be pretty well moderated. The spam and small stuff is deleted while the topic-related posts remain. I know I keep referring to that section, but I can't help it, ha ha.

As for the ad-bots, I don't know much about that. So i'll leave that up to you guys. :D

ANARCHit3cht
October 25th, 2010, 08:33 PM

Unless they paraphrased the guide, or morphed nearly to all their own words, you could just google it, and the article/guide would pop-up. But, if they did the aforementioned, it would be, more or less, their own guide.

Also, replies could be constructive. Like:

I like how you prepare you soup, but I find that if you add a tsp more of pepper, and a dash of vinegar, it gives more of a distinct flavor.

EDIT:
Oh, and I agree with the less technology/internet based, as those could be placed in their appropriate section.

Team Fail
October 25th, 2010, 09:35 PM
This is an excellent idea. But, maybe this could be an entire [board, I think?] of it's own. It would be like "Life, and How-To" and would have various sub-forums, like "Technology", "Cooking", "Life Skills" and "Do-It-Yourself". I like the idea, I would contribute to it. Definately.

o0PinkSquid0o
October 25th, 2010, 10:15 PM
I'd LOVE this, specially if there was a 'how to' on cooking :D I can't cook for **** and everyone could share their recipes or any tips they have!! I can never get sauces thick enough :( someone teach me

digi-kun
October 25th, 2010, 10:16 PM
mmmm...I swear we already had a forum dedicated to general guides, but I guess it was removed or something. Seeing as some of the '05/'06 members don't remember it [Pachy, Nica, AK47], I guess that means it was killed off a looong time ago...dunno why though, could have been lack activity or something since most people didn't want to actually write up the guides or something? dunno.

Noah Ridgewood
October 26th, 2010, 04:30 AM
I like this idea, but I feel technology related how-to threads should belong in their designated forum, Computers & Technology. I don't believe this should be a sub-forum for Other Chat, since Other Voting Polls is kind of like a mini-OC forum on it's own and that has it's own dedicated forum, but I do agree that this should be a sub-forum. I guess it being in OC is the most fitting place for it to go... Life & Recreation would be a nice forum title for it. This could be a forum that allows general discussion for hobbies as well. We don't really have a place for that.

Any ideas on a forum description?

Cello
October 26th, 2010, 04:41 AM
I like this idea, but I feel technology related how-to threads should belong in their designated forum, Computers & Technology. I don't believe this should be a sub-forum for Other Chat, since Other Voting Polls is kind of like a mini-OC forum on it's own and that has it's own dedicated forum, but I do agree that this should be a sub-forum. I guess it being in OC is the most fitting place for it to go... Life & Recreation would be a nice forum title for it. This could be a forum that allows general discussion for hobbies as well. We don't really have a place for that.

Hmm, maybe:
A section dedicated to general guides and tips written by members, for members. Topics include cooking, music, art, to even social lessons, and everything in-between. Technology related guides belong in Computers & Technology.

Feel free to refine it. I just woke up, ha ha.

Noah Ridgewood
October 26th, 2010, 04:43 AM
*shrug* This would be an off-topic forum. We already have a forum for music; Other & Japanese Entertainment, and art; Art Gallery.

This would be the place to go if it doesn't belong in a forum already existing, I feel.

Forever
October 26th, 2010, 04:47 AM
mmmm...I swear we already had a forum dedicated to general guides, but I guess it was removed or something. Seeing as some of the '05/'06 members don't remember it [Pachy, Nica, AK47], I guess that means it was killed off a looong time ago...dunno why though, could have been lack activity or something since most people didn't want to actually write up the guides or something? dunno.

Technical Institute Library. I was going to mention it, but after looking through the remainder of the backup, there wasn't much notable.

A section dedicated to general guides and tips written by members, for members. Show off your talents, as well as social lessons, and everything in-between. Technology related guides belong in Computers & Technology.

^ better?

Noah Ridgewood
October 26th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Hmm... looking at the Technical Institute backups, it seems they allowed any type of how-to to really be posted here, regardless of if there was a forum where it would typically belong or not. That to me is the biggest concern, since it could take a lot of activity away from quite a few forums in the process and there'd be an unintentional blurry line for where something belongs.

seeker
October 26th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Couldn't these guides fit in their respective sections? I mean, I've made one on how to read music, I believe it was posted in Other Entertainment, and what's stopping a member posting a guide on how to play guitar in the same section? I wouldn't have an issue with it. If people were keen on making guides, then there would have been more attempts to make them. Photoshop lessons could go in G&P, coding lessons in Webmasters Discussion (if they're web based obviously), knitting in Life the Universe and Everything (possibly), cooking in Other Entertainment (cooking shows are pretty popular so I'd accept them).

I'd like to see more guides to be honest, I think it would be totally cool, but if there's a demand for it, I think we could possibly stretch another sub forum in Other Chat/Other Entertainment for every day guides, if we were to add a section that is. Other wise, there's sections all over PC in which these can fit.

Cello
October 26th, 2010, 04:59 AM
*shrug* This would be an off-topic forum. We already have a forum for music; Other & Japanese Entertainment, and art; Art Gallery.

This would be the place to go if it doesn't belong in a forum already existing, I feel.

Ha ha, my apologies. I think I misunderstood your original post. xD

So you mean for this sub-forum to be just dedicated to the subjects that don't already have a designated forum?
I feel like that might would be a bit disorganized having user-written guides shuffled all over the community like that. Plus I feel that the majority of the users wouldn't use those sub-forums like that. People who go to Music section hope to talk about musicians rather than how to make music.

I actually don't think most members are aware of the fact that they might could have posted guides in those sections.

And although most sub/forums have a pinned thread redirecting users to other guides spread out over the internet, there may still be something a member would like to share that isn't covered in those guides.

Most guides written will likely involve an art or craft anyhow.

I dunno, it's up to you guys.

Team Fail
October 26th, 2010, 05:23 AM

"A Place where you can learn different skills from different members, from playing Guitar to cooking. All Technology-related tutorials belong in Computers and Technology.

Huh?

Noah Ridgewood
October 26th, 2010, 05:47 AM
Playing guitar falls under music, which in turn relates to Other Entertainment.

Avey
October 26th, 2010, 06:04 AM
I'd really like this idea to see the light of day. Don't know why but it just wouldn't feel right posting 'guides' in their specified forum as opposed to posting them in a forum for guides.

Cello
October 26th, 2010, 06:17 AM
I'm not so interested in this idea anymore.

It seems like the idea was pretty much skinned down to the bone into something pretty uninteresting and quite honestly boring and destined to fail.

I mean yeah, we still have cooking and maybe some kind of a... social guide? But past that, it's too general. Too general for the Other Chat area, anyways.

I figured that if this idea were to come to life it's likely it would've wound up under Fan Fiction and Writing under the Creative Discussions section, which is exactly what this idea was; A section dedicated to user written guides that were to promote the learning of various creative activities.

I know there are sections for certain topics, but like I said, most users fail to realize that they actually are allowed to create guides on how to do these activities in those designated areas of the forums. I just skimmed over Other Entertainment and the Arts section and I didn't see anything, and it will stay that way because the members might feel that if they were to post something like that there, they would get infracted.

If you were to advertise that guide posting is allowed in that area, it would create unorganized chaos and render this idea near useless.

Activity in the areas (Other Entertainment, Art) would not suffer because those guides don't exist in those areas already. If anything, these guides would promote MORE activity.
The arts section would have new artist participating in showing off their art, Other Entertainment may have people showing off something they wrote, Game Development would have people posting concepts for games.

That seems to flow together pretty nicely if you ask me.

Team Fail
October 26th, 2010, 06:20 AM
"A Place where you can learn different skills from different members, from playing Guitar to cooking. All Technology-related tutorials belong in Computers and Technology.

Huh?

Ok, let me revise that.

"A Place where you can learn different skills from different members, from building a bookstand to cooking to how to save money. All Technology-related tutorials will be redirected to Computers and Technology.

How's that? And hey, you can wait and see how this idea plays out. You never know what will happen here.

Melody
October 26th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Couldn't these guides fit in their respective sections? I mean, I've made one on how to read music, I believe it was posted in Other Entertainment, and what's stopping a member posting a guide on how to play guitar in the same section? I wouldn't have an issue with it. If people were keen on making guides, then there would have been more attempts to make them. Photoshop lessons could go in G&P, coding lessons in Webmasters Discussion (if they're web based obviously), knitting in Life the Universe and Everything (possibly), cooking in Other Entertainment (cooking shows are pretty popular so I'd accept them).

I'd like to see more guides to be honest, I think it would be totally cool, but if there's a demand for it, I think we could possibly stretch another sub forum in Other Chat/Other Entertainment for every day guides, if we were to add a section that is. Other wise, there's sections all over PC in which these can fit.

Playing guitar falls under music, which in turn relates to Other Entertainment.

You see, you two are right there are indeed places where these guides might fit in, but the problem is twofold:
1. The existing sections they may relate to indirectly do not necessarily share the proper atmosphere for guide making, and they'd be lost among the other inane but topical threads which are inevitably allowed in such places.
2. The need for moderation of these guides is crucial to the success of this idea, merely because we know the limitations of our members. It is necessary to ensure that the guides stay what they need to be...Guides. If they need to modQ both new threads AND replies, then so be it. If only new threads are modQ'd then that's fine too. It's really up to how much the staff feels the members can handle this.

I am aware of previous attempts at guide-forums here on PC, but they lacked just what we're suggesting now, Moderation and careful supervision. If we try to make a guide subforum for each existing off-topic forum, then these subforums will be as dry and lifeless as the desert is.

If we just put our eggs into the same basket, it won't be so dead, and it'd rightly justify the need for a subforum. We don't need to exclude any non-pokemon related topic from this section...it needs all the threads it can get, and individual off-topic sections can merely post a sticky with the related guides posted in the Guide section listing all the guides relating to that section rather than maintaining their own "Guides" section/stickies. (This also cuts down on sticky overload...so only the important stuff is stickied.)

Title and description would be great as follows:
Life & Recreation
A Place where you can learn different skills from different members, from A to Z.
Pokemon related guides can be found in their appropriate sections. Hacking Guides go in Emulation. No Pokemon Game play guides here.

Cello
October 26th, 2010, 09:02 AM
In addition to the original idea, i've got quite a few things to add to the possible construction of the area in terms keeping it nice and organized:

A pinned thread for "Guide Suggestions/Discussion", this way people could suggest a guide for others to write about or allow writers to see if others would be interested in a guide they plan on writing.
A pinned thread for small, sub-forum related questions. (Much like Simple Questions thread in ROM hacking)
Required prefixes for threads, such as "Art", "Music", "Film", and so on. Also have "Other" for guides that don't apply to other prefixes.
As mentioned, have threads approved by moderation team.
Allow video tutorials, but no YouTube links/advertisement allowed.
Keep a regularly updated index, organized by the forum prefixes, for easier navigation.

As for technology-related guides, of course not allowing the guides such as "How to set up your iPod", "How to setup a custom ringtone", or "How to install THIS program."
Where should the line be drawn? Like at more specific, field related technological guides such as something along the lines of "How To create a Moon in Photoshop"?

I imagine if the Computing/Technology section was filled up with small Photoshop/Art guides like that it would get pretty tiring for the section Moderator.

Astinus
October 26th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I figured that if this idea were to come to life it's likely it would've wound up under Fan Fiction and Writing under the Creative Discussions section
Er, why? Yes, it's writing, but... I wouldn't go to FF&W for a guide on how to play the guitar or how to code a website. FF&W already has guides for writing, because that's where they fit (and there's a lot, so we have a directory that's easy to find). But other guides might fit elsewhere, such as Gav's guide to reading music fitting better in OE, where people go to discuss music.

I mean, while the idea is a good one and could help the member base of PC, I feel it doesn't belong in my section because of how general it is. It's writing guides, but not every written guide falls into my section.

Noah Ridgewood
October 26th, 2010, 09:44 AM
The major flaw with this idea is the fact that it will be placed in an off-topic forum. The off-topic forums are last resort forums. That's why they're at the bottom. If a topic doesn't belong in any other forum in the community, the idea is to post it in an off-topic forum and it'll fit in just fine. The problem when you try to implement an idea that brings in ideas that are already focused on in other forums throughout the community is that the line between what belongs in the off-topic forums and what belongs in forums that have specific topics dedicated to them blurs. I like the idea, but unless we can figure out a way to implement it without blurring the edges between forums, I don't think it would be supported much in HQ.

Cello
October 26th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Er, why? Yes, it's writing, but... I wouldn't go to FF&W for a guide on how to play the guitar or how to code a website. FF&W already has guides for writing, because that's where they fit (and there's a lot, so we have a directory that's easy to find). But other guides might fit elsewhere, such as Gav's guide to reading music fitting better in OE, where people go to discuss music.

I mean, while the idea is a good one and could help the member base of PC, I feel it doesn't belong in my section because of how general it is. It's writing guides, but not every written guide falls into my section.

It was just an assumption, not a suggestion.
I assumed that if the original idea were implemented, the Administration team would have fit it in there seeing as it is writing.

The major flaw with this idea is the fact that it will be placed in an off-topic forum. The off-topic forums are last resort forums. That's why they're at the bottom. If a topic doesn't belong in any other forum in the community, the idea is to post it in an off-topic forum and it'll fit in just fine. The problem when you try to implement an idea that brings in ideas that are already focused on in other forums throughout the community is that the line between what belongs in the off-topic forums and what belongs in forums that have specific topics dedicated to them blurs. I like the idea, but unless we can figure out a way to implement it without blurring the edges between forums, I don't think it would be supported much in HQ.

Well, judging by what the fellow users have to say:

I'd really like this idea to see the light of day. Don't know why but it just wouldn't feel right posting 'guides' in their specified forum as opposed to posting them in a forum for guides.

1. The existing sections they may relate to indirectly do not necessarily share the proper atmosphere for guide making, and they'd be lost among the other inane but topical threads which are inevitably allowed in such places.

And of course what I've already mentioned twice; Guide making is what these existing sections lack. The users don't post guides there and wont because they feel it is against that section's rules.

If you all of a sudden did allow this, as Pachy mentioned, it would just mixed together with the discussion topics.

That would be like if you merged the Hacking Guides in with Hacking Discussion over in ROM hacking.

Noah Ridgewood
October 26th, 2010, 09:59 AM
And of course what I've already mentioned twice; Guide making is what these existing sections lack. The users don't post guides there and wont because they feel it is against that section's rules.
That argument is flawed. If users aren't posting guides within a section that has a set topic, making a new forum all together to fix that won't do anything. It's a problem within the individual forum. The only way to fix it would be within that forum.

Cello
October 26th, 2010, 11:01 AM
That argument is flawed. If users aren't posting guides within a section that has a set topic, making a new forum all together to fix that won't do anything. It's a problem within the individual forum. The only way to fix it would be within that forum.

Again;

"Don't know why but it just wouldn't feel right posting 'guides' in their specified forum as opposed to posting them in a forum for guides."
and
"The existing sections they may relate to indirectly do not necessarily share the proper atmosphere for guide making"

It's not that the users lack the will to write a guide. The users feel uncomfortable posting them there because nowhere does it mention anything about guides, it just mentions discussion.
The art section only mentions posting artwork.
So on and so forth.

Heck, if I would have known that posting guides in their related section was allowed, I wouldn't have posted this topic because I felt that I would have gotten the response that you're giving me right now.

There isn't a lack of people willing to write guides. I guarantee that if you make a section we will certainly have people willing to write guides. "If you build it, they will come" comes to mind in this situation.
If what you're implying is true, then if you were to create this "Other Guide" section you're speaking of, no one would write any guides for it either.

Writing guides is a great way to share knowledge with others and really open up to the community. I know that when I made a guide for the ROM hacking section, it allowed me to make a lot more friends here, whereas before I was just some new guy. This is what motivates people to write guides. You're helping others to learn something they're interested in, and the readers are appreciative for that.

LightOfTruth
October 26th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Guides are a good idea in there own area of the forum. Maybe above emulation :)

countryemo
October 26th, 2010, 01:41 PM
No as a sub forum with otherchat or just as a forum its sellf in the off topics ^

I would like this to happen, cant wait :)

I thought of a request/ect quide thread at school =o.

I think even if its goes with
art / music / ect. It should still go in the guide section.
Except Pokemon, or walk throughs like mentioned.

And about guides in the regular area, bc getting warned/or something. I dont really get that. but I guess thats why I never see any, though there are writting/photoshop/hack/game tuts in their sections. which is good. but all the other should go in here :P

EDIT: And the advice thread can join in too :D
if its usefull >.>. We should be able to post sepreate if it was big enough

Spinor
October 26th, 2010, 03:20 PM

The purpose of a forum would be to make discussion. The subforum we are going for is basically discussion for each independent tutorial posted there, and not necessarily the topic related to the tutorial itself.

Team Fail
October 26th, 2010, 03:23 PM
The purpose of a forum would be to make discussion. The subforum we are going for is basically discussion for each independent tutorial posted there, and not necessarily the topic related to the tutorial itself.

Well said. We'd also need a mod there. Possibly the mod of another section or someone else?

ANARCHit3cht
October 26th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I honestly have mixed feelings about this.

Guides for Playing Guitar could easily be placed in Other Entertainment, but I don't think they would last long against all the hustle and bustle of that section.

Another thing, there are guides that people would write. (E.G. Cooking, Cleaning) that wouldn't fit in any sections that we have now, and surely couldn't be placed in OC.

Team Fail
October 26th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I honestly have mixed feelings about this.

Guides for Playing Guitar could easily be placed in Other Entertainment, but I don't think they would last long against all the hustle and bustle of that section.

Another thing, there are guides that people would write. (E.G. Cooking, Cleaning) that wouldn't fit in any sections that we have now, and surely couldn't be placed in OC.

Exactly what this section would be for. Tutorials on things people do that can't fit into any of the forum's categories wouldn't work in OC. It would look dumb. This would just work.

Spinor
October 26th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I feel that most of the reasons against this are looking like overanalysis. We don't want to overanalyze this because it's clearly a good idea that many feel would be useful and to reject it because of a few people's paranoia of activity and topics would be a pretty big waste. This is an opportunity for members of this community that are very knowledgeable in a sort of field to share their knowledge with others of very common interests. It may have been said that any of this stuff can be Googled, but it's not the same to Google something than to find it conveniently in a community, that we all know is very civilized and very big, that you are a part of.

The tutorials and tip threads can be of many ranges, so then it would be useful to include a sticky thread for requests and with counts of how many people request the same thing to see if someone can take that on. Most of it may be tech related but I will repeat: do the same thing for the TechMed forum besides OC.

Cello
October 26th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I feel that we've discussed this enough and covered about everything we can.

We should just wait to see what the PC team decides, and hope its what we want.

Melody
October 26th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I feel that most of the reasons against this are looking like overanalysis. We don't want to overanalyze this because it's clearly a good idea that many feel would be useful and to reject it because of a few people's paranoia of activity and topics would be a pretty big waste. This is an opportunity for members of this community that are very knowledgeable in a sort of field to share their knowledge with others of very common interests. It may have been said that any of this stuff can be Googled, but it's not the same to Google something than to find it conveniently in a community, that we all know is very civilized and very big, that you are a part of.

The tutorials and tip threads can be of many ranges, so then it would be useful to include a sticky thread for requests and with counts of how many people request the same thing to see if someone can take that on. Most of it may be tech related but I will repeat: do the same thing for the TechMed forum besides OC.

^THIS!^

Exactly how I feel. As I have stated in previous posts, putting guides in the forums relating to their topic will result in their neglect. They'll fall right off the edge of the page like the rest of the chatter, and we really DON'T want to see good information like that go to waste. A good one-stop-shop for all guides that are non-pokemon, non-gaming, and non-hacking related would be a GODSEND, and it'd really help those honest users who are TRYING to be intelligent.

You simply can't let a typical PC member loose in a library and expect them to find the cure for <insert disease here> even if they ARE intelligent and even IF the library contains all the answers in the world. The internet is similarly vast, confusing and a large portion of the internet is un-indexed, poorly indexed or left at the bottom of the index because of idiots who like to SEO to draw hits. >_>

Sometimes you just CAN'T find the right answers so easily through a few keywords and Google alone, simply because computers are incapable of thinking and processing information the way we do. No matter how complex the algorithm is...there will always be ****** results that have NOTHING to do with what you're searching for...because computers can be fooled. (SEO again...>_>)

Honestly, I've been flopped into a frying pan and fried to a crisp for over thinking...so it's high time that someone does that to some of the staff too (http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=4448047). I'm honestly tired of seeing the staff being so damn hesitant to try a GOOD idea! If you think the idea is GOOD, THEN GIVE IT A TRY HUH?!

Team Fail
October 26th, 2010, 05:45 PM
^THIS!^

Exactly how I feel. As I have stated in previous posts, putting guides in the forums relating to their topic will result in their neglect. They'll fall right off the edge of the page like the rest of the chatter, and we really DON'T want to see good information like that go to waste. A good one-stop-shop for all guides that are non-pokemon, non-gaming, and non-hacking related would be a GODSEND, and it'd really help those honest users who are TRYING to be intelligent.

You simply can't let a typical PC member loose in a library and expect them to find the cure for <insert disease here> even if they ARE intelligent and even IF the library contains all the answers in the world. The internet is similarly vast, confusing and a large portion of the internet is un-indexed, poorly indexed or left at the bottom of the index because of idiots who like to SEO to draw hits. >_>

Sometimes you just CAN'T find the right answers so easily through a few keywords and Google alone, simply because computers are incapable of thinking and processing information the way we do. No matter how complex the algorithm is...there will always be ****** results that have NOTHING to do with what you're searching for...because computers can be fooled. (SEO again...>_>)

Honestly, I've been flopped into a frying pan and fried to a crisp for over thinking...so it's high time that someone does that to some of the staff too. I'm honestly tired of seeing the staff being so damn hesitant to try a GOOD idea! If you think the idea is GOOD, THEN GIVE IT A TRY HUH?!

Thank you! That's what I'd do- if an idea sounds good- try it out! See how it rolls with members! And you are right. Books and Google searches aren't always what you need. Like, what would make a good table accent- you could post images, but looking on the internet or in a book might have things that are not their taste- they could look here and c'est le vie! They might actually find something. It would be nice if we could try it for a time- a week, a month, who knows. We'll all wait and see.

Melody
October 26th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Yes. Indeed we shall wait and see. I do hope that the staff (http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=4448047) sees how beneficial that this idea could be.

Eliminator Jr.
October 26th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I wouldn't have any objection to this. I don't believe making this forum would take any activity away from the ones that we currently have now because put simply guides don't exist on any of these boards.

Before this thread I didn't even have the idea of making a guide - with its own section people like me would see it and be encouraged to make a guide, and those who are interested in guides don't have to search all over the forums to find what they are looking for.

countryemo
October 26th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Im pretty sure this section might get activity,
but about it coming to be vast
~The mod creates a index (fun! :D)
~OC/OVP are vast so topics get remade, many of them are still "today" 3 pages down. -not really realevent, but PC its self is pretty vast.
~

Ok well lets just wait to see what the staff do, we should give it a try~

Noah Ridgewood
October 27th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I can't say I'm sold on the idea of creating an entire forum, sub-forum or not, for guides. But I'm okay with trying it, though, I guess. Guides may not be mentioned in forum descriptions, but if you ask the moderator of the section - or even a member of higher staff - whether a guide would be permitted to be posted in that forum, then I'm fairly certain that you'd get a solid yes/no. Ignorance of it being allowed doesn't seem like a good reason to ask for an entire forum dedicated to guides and discussions for them. But like I said, unless there's a way to implement it without blurring the edges between forums and this forum, I'm not sure it'd get much support in HQ for official voting, which will make or break this suggestion. I'm not trying to argue against this suggestion. I'm just pointing out the facts.

Cello
October 27th, 2010, 10:02 AM
I can't say I'm sold on the idea of creating an entire forum, sub-forum or not, for guides. But I'm okay with trying it, though, I guess. Guides may not be mentioned in forum descriptions, but if you ask the moderator of the section - or even a member of higher staff - whether a guide would be permitted to be posted in that forum, then I'm fairly certain that you'd get a solid yes/no. Ignorance of it being allowed doesn't seem like a good reason to ask for an entire forum dedicated to guides and discussions for them. But like I said, unless there's a way to implement it without blurring the edges between forums and this forum, I'm not sure it'd get much support in HQ for official voting, which will make or break this suggestion. I'm not trying to argue against this suggestion. I'm just pointing out the facts.

Well, i'm glad you somewhat support the idea, but why not get the rest of the team to discuss it with us? I'm sure they've run across this thread, and i'm interested in seeing what their take on the idea is.

Judging by the feedback received from the thread, all seems positive from the forum users, which honestly should be enough to sell the staff on the idea.

The traffic for guides doesn't exist in other forums and won't unless this section exists because it's an inconvenience otherwise.

Noah Ridgewood
October 29th, 2010, 07:03 PM
To keep you updated, this suggestion has been brought up to the HQ for official voting and discussion.

Cello
October 29th, 2010, 08:12 PM
To keep you updated, this suggestion has been brought up to the HQ for official voting and discussion.

Alright, thanks for the update. Glad to hear it! And hope all goes well in the decision.