PDA

View Full Version : Oh no! My credibility!

Gold warehouse
October 26th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Do you dislike it when a particular band or movie you like suddenly becomes mainstream, or liked by a particular group of people?

It does annoy me when particular people start liking bands I like. I don't hate it when they become mainstream, because it means they're more likely to put out more albums. I just hate how a lot of bands get associated with certain trends, like how Neutral Milk Hotel is considered hipster and a load of wanabe-intellectuals start liking them just because it's considered cool amongst certain groups.

There are a lot of trends that people follow, like how people solely listen to punk. Why do you think people follow these trends? Or if you are part of one, what made you choose to be a part of it?
I thought it was just so people could feel like they are a part of something important, or seem more interesting by portraying a certain image through the music they listen to, accompanied with the fashion aspect, movie interests, and all the other factors associated with certain trends. But I've noticed some people follow these trends, yet are very private about it. Which seems to prove my theory wrong, at least in some cases.

poopnoodle
October 26th, 2010, 04:55 PM
it doesn't bother me when a band i enjoy deserves the recognition, and yeah i get mutually annoyed when bands become associated with trends xD though i don't pay close attention to the mainstream so i'm not totally keen on what is and isn't popular, and trends are equally hard to keep up with. in the end it doesn't really matter what's in your library and their position in the music industry, there's simply what appeals to me and i try to keep an open mind to everything. and i don't worry about how people would label me according to my music library- if someone sees me as a mindless nostalgia junkie because i listen to Backstreet Boys, they're half-right incredibly shallow.

Shanghai Alice
October 26th, 2010, 05:12 PM
What? People like it?

It's Popular, Now it Sucks! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitle6cd1cskka05i?from=Main.Itspopularnowitsucks)

In all seriousness...

That's not gonna happen. I can't see a Second Coming of Haruhi, where Haruhi is main stream, or a Lucky Star mainstreamizing...

And Touhou? Hah. No way.

Ayselipera
October 26th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I do tend to get pretty annoyed when everyone starts listening to a once unknown band and labels them as "new." I tend to go out of my way to find uncommon people just because I'm interested in what's beyond mainstream. So it drives me crazy when I walk into school and everyone is now listening to the same band I've been listening for months or so and all I can hear is, "Oh my god I love this new band." For example I had been listening to Paramore long before they had became mainstream. Then I swear suddenly one day I walked into school and EVERYONE was like, "Oh hey did you hear about that new band Paramore they're so good!" THEY'RE NOT NEW. >:o I guess the good part of all of this is that whatever band it is finally makes it to the top. Everyone else just makes it an annoying first few months of popularity.

I really wouldn't say I follow any particular trend. Not one that I recognize at least. I know a lot of people like to regard trends as foolish, but I think when it comes down to it people follow whatever trend it is they follow because they generally like it. Not because of an everyone else likes it sort of scenario.

PlatinumDude
October 26th, 2010, 07:14 PM
This doesn't bother me because it's nice to know that there are people around me who are taking interest in one of my favorite bands/singers/movies.

Cello
October 26th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I think what a lot of people fail to realize behind these mainstream industries is that when a popular band/series gets signed into becoming what is considered "mainstream material" they basically lose all rights to everything they once were.

There was a time when the artist was writing their own music, the music everyone grew to love.

Then the suits come in with the pen and paper as well as a safe full of cash. When the artist see's the cash, they sign away every right to what they created over to the suit, whereas now the suit is creating stuff for the artist to perform, then having it published and advertised out to the world in all it's mainstream media glory.

I don't like mainstream stuff because it just simply isn't natural, which is why I try to find most of my music from indie artists on Youtube, Last.fm, and various other sites these days. MTV certainly isn't going to feature it. Pregnant teens and whatnot.

EDIT:
Also, this is actually why I don't like American Idol anymore, mainly because I feel flat-out sorry for whoever wins. Yeah, they're rich, but that album they just launched? Written purely by none other than American Idol's recording studio only to have the winner sing it to the world.

Ninja Caterpie
October 26th, 2010, 10:34 PM
video game music doesn't have a mainstream, lmao.

+ I play games if they're fun. I don't care who else plays them (but the image that Pokemon is childish and for 8-year-olds sucks. D:)

shawnee
November 6th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Do you dislike it when a particular band or movie you like suddenly becomes mainstream, or liked by a particular group of people?

It does annoy me when particular people start liking bands I like. I don't hate it when they become mainstream, because it means they're more likely to put out more albums. I just hate how a lot of bands get associated with certain trends, like how Neutral Milk Hotel is considered hipster and a load of wanabe-intellectuals start liking them just because it's considered cool amongst certain groups.

There are a lot of trends that people follow, like how people solely listen to punk. Why do you think people follow these trends? Or if you are part of one, what made you choose to be a part of it?
I thought it was just so people could feel like they are a part of something important, or seem more interesting by portraying a certain image through the music they listen to, accompanied with the fashion aspect, movie interests, and all the other factors associated with certain trends. But I've noticed some people follow these trends, yet are very private about it. Which seems to prove my theory wrong, at least in some cases.

I am not apart of a trend, though I dabbled in different ones in high school. Everytime I did dabble, I felt like a fake or a sell out. So I decided to like anything I want to and dress/act however I want. This has solved many problems for me.
I dont like it when people associate certain pop culture elements (music, movies, books) with a trend. It ruins it for people like me. I get in this situation all the time:
Person: 'What's your favorite song?'
Me: 'Once in a Lifetime by Wolfsheim'
Person: 'Are you gothic?'
Me: 'No'
I hate hearing that... :(

Alinthea
November 7th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I really do hate it.

I remember when Trivium, as an example, were unknown and I loved them. Then, a year later all these little kids were wearing the hoodies and saying they were the best new band ever.

AHHHHHH THEY AREN'T NEW YOU IDIOTS.

Actually, I loled the other week when someone said they thought 'The Prodigy' should win the best new comers award in one of the awards. I really loled.

Eliminator Jr.
November 7th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I try not to pay attention to it. I mean, sure it's slightly irritating when all these people that don't often pay much attention to music are suddenly into decent bands and call them new, but what are you going to do? As long as I still like the music there's no problem. Sure, ticket prices for concerts rise, but apart from that there's no real trouble. People who decide not to listen to a band because they have become mainstream aren't real fans of the band. If the band changes their sound, however, it's perfectly acceptable.

I didn't like The Black Parade by My Chemical Romance (and whatever their newest single is), I thought it was terrible, but it doesn't mean I have to stop liking their older albums. The same goes for bands like The Black Keys and Phoenix, both of whom have exploded in popularity over here. I'm not going to get annoyed and go "hey, I've been listening to The Black Keys since Thickfreakness came out" - I think it's a positive, I've got more people to talk to about The Black Keys with.

Either way, what really matters is if I can enjoy the music or not. If for some bizarre reason the very fact that a band has gone mainstream stops somebody from enjoying the music, they shouldn't keep listening to it just so they don't look like "one of those people who go off a band because they went mainstream". Sometimes you can find out one thing about a band and not be able to listen to them anymore, it could be a new album, or in my case lyrics. I liked an Eliza Doolittle song that I heard on Rage at two in the morning one time, and after seeing the lyrics for one of her other songs and the meanings behind it (which I didn't like), I couldn't listen to her music anymore. My point is, I'm not going to ridicule people for going off music that goes mainstream. Personally, if a band I like gets popularity, then I'm happy for their success. Whether I like this new music or not depends entirely on whether I enjoy listening to the new album or not, not on the band's popularity.

Yuoaman
November 8th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I do tend to get pretty annoyed when everyone starts listening to a once unknown band and labels them as "new." I tend to go out of my way to find uncommon people just because I'm interested in what's beyond mainstream. So it drives me crazy when I walk into school and everyone is now listening to the same band I've been listening for months or so and all I can hear is, "Oh my god I love this new band." For example I had been listening to Paramore long before they had became mainstream. Then I swear suddenly one day I walked into school and EVERYONE was like, "Oh hey did you hear about that new band Paramore they're so good!" THEY'RE NOT NEW. >:o I guess the good part of all of this is that whatever band it is finally makes it to the top. Everyone else just makes it an annoying first few months of popularity.

I really wouldn't say I follow any particular trend. Not one that I recognize at least. I know a lot of people like to regard trends as foolish, but I think when it comes down to it people follow whatever trend it is they follow because they generally like it. Not because of an everyone else likes it sort of scenario.

Oh god I hate when people associate Paramore only with Twilight. I was listening to them for well over a year before they recorded 'Decode'.

And I really don't care when bands become more well recognized and/or mainstream. It just means they're getting their due.

Captain Hobo.
November 10th, 2010, 06:39 PM
It doesn't really annoy me it is just cool that I knew them before they became all that.

Patchisou Yutohru
November 11th, 2010, 04:34 AM

I can not tell you how much I relate to this post! Specifically the Paramore part.

I really dislike how movies tend to cause underground bands to suddenly become mainstream. I mean, in Paramore's case, nobody knew about them that I knew other than me and about two other people and then after Twilight came out, they were playing everywhere. I'm glad they're successful, but I hate how they've become so mainstream. I miss the days when I was one of the few people who knew who they were, much less listened to their music. The sad part about it is that most of the people who were introduced to Paramore became hardcore fans of them... are the Twilight stans. I mean, I don't want to hate on a group of people for being obsessed with something, but most Twilight stans can be really obnoxious and that just carries on over to the Paramore fans.

Same thing with Muse (At least in North America, I suppose they were more mainstream in other parts of the world, but the same applies to Muse for me than what applies to Paramore as they aren't as popular in America as they are in, say, England).

I always take pride in saying "I knew them before they became popular." But it did irk me when people thought they were new considering they were there before - people just give them the time of day because they had no reason to listen to them. But I love when bands I like - ones that people discredit me for - some day become the big thing. It's an "I told you so" moment for me.

TRIFORCE89
November 11th, 2010, 11:02 AM
If I'm a fan of something, I want to share it. I'd like as many people to enjoy it. So, if something gets more exposure that's great in my eyes. And why wouldn't I want something or someone I'm a fan of to see more success?

Kid Coma
November 12th, 2010, 02:55 PM
It really doesn't bother me If an artist I enjoy becomes mainstream. As long as they don't compromise their artistic merit for the sake of money, then good for them.

Fever
November 12th, 2010, 03:15 PM
It does somewhat annoy me when bands have a track on a movie that mass people will see and then they suddenly become mainstream. It happened with Paramore, Death Cab for Cutie and Muse because of Twilight.

I also can't say that I follow a trend. However, I am considered to be a part of the Alternative music scene.
This covering everything from basic alternative, punk, screamo, scream-tech, emo and indie.
I dress the way I want and how I feel comfortable, but the styles of fashion that typically go along with these forms of music happen to be what suits me on a regular day to day basis.
I also have piercings and tattoos, which I guess is considered part of the scene as well to an extent.

What I really love is that almost none of the bands that I listen to will never get played on mtv or on mainstream radio or anything because of the style of music that they are.
I also really love bands that do video blogs and online chat things on youtube. My favourite example of this is Valerie Poxleitner from the band Lights. She's ridiculously talented and I love everything about her. She does online chats via youtube, and streams live acoustic versions of her songs on there at the same time.
Lights is a Canadian ElectroPop band by the way. Alot more mellow than I would normally listen to I must admit.

Massacre.
November 21st, 2010, 08:52 AM
I honestly do not care about either, in fact I hate both of them. A good example was You Me At Six's fanbase, or Escape the Fate's old singer arrested. I am not sure why people bother about it, afterall, just whining about it ain't going to change it. Though I do hate when people will just put a random band into a movie. One band as an example is Senses Fail, as nearly all of their popularity came from movies and game sound tracks. They def deserve more than this.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
November 21st, 2010, 09:47 AM
Not really, especially since this has never happened to me. With me, it's usually the case where the bands I like reached their height of popularity in the 1980's then fell into obscurity before I learned about their music, so pretty much the reverse situation :P