PDA

View Full Version : [Weekly Poll] Pre-Evolutions, Final Evolutions & Previous Pokémon [ #5 ]

Kaori
October 31st, 2010, 10:34 AM
Pre-Evolutions, Final Evolutions & Previous Pokémon:

So I'm sure you've seen Mamanbou, Emonga, and a few others that have a similar appearance to other previous generation Pokémon. Do you think Nintendo could have made some of them a pre or final evolution to some of the new Pokémon to the previous ones? ...And do you believe it wouldn't be that hurtful to a new start towards the new generation if they still included the other gen Pokémon?

Explain your theories (of similarity between two Pokémon from Gen V to the previous gens) and opinions of the similarities as well as giving your thoughts on the old Pokémon not being included until after the National Pokédex.

Kenshin5
October 31st, 2010, 10:48 AM
Do you think Nintendo could have made some of them a pre or final evolution to some of the new Pokémon to the previous ones?
From what I gathered there approach was to start from anew since 1. The routes reset, 2. You cannot catch pokemon from previous generation until National Dex(as you mentioned). Including previous evolutions would take away from the vibe of starting out fresh which is what I think they had in mind with this generation. Black and White being simple colors maybe they wanted to keep in simple perhaps?

And do you believe it wouldn't be that hurtful to a new start towards the new generation if they still included the other gen Pokémon?
From the approach they were taking wish is starting out new yes I do. Some people complained how 4th Generation had to much pre-evolutions and evolutions of previous pokemon so not they are doing the opposite and not including any. I got the feeling people were tired of encountered older generation pokemon in about every Region like Zubat, Tentacool, Geodude, Pikachu, Abra, and so forth. So to eliminate that factor from in is a change of pace for many people.

Kevin
October 31st, 2010, 11:06 AM
I like the fresh new start with tons of new Pokemon~ =D Though some old Pokemon should've recieved evolutions/pre-evolutions/Eeveelutions. XD I don't care about previous Gen. Pokemon, only if there is new evolutions for them... So I'm sort of in between.

ManhattanTheStarr
October 31st, 2010, 11:10 AM
I love what they've done with B/W. No previous generation Pokemon to give it a more fresh feeling. Before B/W was released, I was really hoping for some evolutions and pre-evolutions. But now, I'm fine the way it is. There's always next generation anyways. :3

MrsNorrington
October 31st, 2010, 12:51 PM
I really like that it was only Generation V Pokemon. I completed my national dex in SoulSilver...so seeing those Pokemon all over again, when it is supposed to be a new generation of Pokemon would be really boring even though I do love all the Generation I-IV Pokemon. I love the fresh start.

Anyways, it wouldn't make sense for their to be previous generation Pokemon in the game, because the entire point of Isshu is that it is very far away from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh.

Also, Generation I-IV Pokemon aren't excluded permanently, you can get them post-game and you can transfer them over from previous games. So it's not like we're missing out on anything.

Yamikarasu
October 31st, 2010, 12:58 PM
The only major problem I have with Black and White is the fact that Buffuron and Mamanbou have no evolutionary relation to Tauros and Luvdisc, respectively. Seriously, Gamefreak? They could have had it like Diamond and Pearl, where you couldn't catch the Electabuzz and Magmar, etc., before the E4, but still they evolved into the new Pokemon Electivire and Magmortar. Every time I see Buffuron and Mamanbou I feel let down.

I voted for "They should have had made some pre and final evos for previous Pokémon."

Manila Luzon
October 31st, 2010, 01:01 PM
Although Tauros and Buffuron look alike, they are two completely different types of species. Tauros = Bull. Buffuron = Buffalo. That kinda thing only works with Magikarp/Feebas.

I like how they kept a fresh start. but it would of been nice to see some old Pokemon appear with new evolutions.

MrsNorrington
October 31st, 2010, 01:01 PM
The only major problem I have with Black and White is the fact that Buffuron and Mamanbou have no evolutionary relation to Tauros and Luvdisc, respectively. Seriously, Gamefreak? They could have had it like Diamond and Pearl, where you couldn't catch the Electabuzz and Magmar, etc., before the E4, but still they evolved into the new Pokemon Electivire and Magmortar. Every time I see Buffuron and Mamanbou I feel let down.

I voted for "They should have had made some pre and final evos for previous Pokémon."

Me too! I'm really ticked off about that.

TheChaosBlue
October 31st, 2010, 01:25 PM

I totally agree with you. Personally, I felt Tauros can be a lot more interresting with an evolution of its own. I just feel like "really?" when I see Buffuron and not think about Tauros. As for Mamanbou...Definetly.

tkallab
October 31st, 2010, 01:31 PM
I don't really like it that everything is new, but I can manage. There are just so many mistakes that shouldn't have been made. The most important one being of course Luvdisc not evolving into Mamanbou. And doesn't anyone find it weird that there are actually some earlier generation Pokémon in Isshu, but only in the east half?

I actually hoped Black and White would be like Ruby and Sapphire; no communication with older games, just a few older Pokémon in the region that are mostly overlooked, and having to wait for a new remake to get your older Pokémon. Now that's a fresh start for ya!

I probably contradicted myself somewhere in this post... But I'm tired, so it's okay.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
October 31st, 2010, 04:50 PM
I really wanted evolutions of old pokemon at least two to make it like Hoenn which was as much a Reboot for me as BW is.

Forever
October 31st, 2010, 09:54 PM
...omg girl, reading your first post confuses me. XD

I'm glad they didn't include the previous Pokemon. Really, after DPPt, we didn't need new evolutions because they spoiled so many Pokemon. Sure we could have got evolutions or pre-evolutions for ones that did need it, but then we were at risk of getting bad evolutions. I would've preferred if there were 150 only Pokemon, too, like the original generation, but hey the Pokemon (except a few) we have are fine.

I don't think it's fair that Mamanbou especially gets so much hate, mainly because it isn't the evolution of Luvdisc. On its own, the Pokemon looks pretty awesome imo, plus a lot of other Pokemon look similar too that nobody bothers to complain about (or even take the roles of, that is), like Kurimiru, Doredia, Munna, Koromori, Tabuune, Mamepato, etc, the popular ones everyone likes but aren't referred to as much as Mamanbou. I say this because I've noticed a trend of people disliking it mainly for that reason, which kinda sucks, because these new Pokemon fill the roles of those and that should be good enough.

All in all, I'm all good with the fact that we didn't get new evolutions. Oh and then there's the fact that only 27 Pokemon didn't get evolutions in B/W (if I counted correctly), which is a pretty small number thinking about it, suggesting that in future games, there won't be any evolutions of any older Pokemon, including B/W. I know I've said that before, but I wanted to say it again, sooo yeah.

King Gumball
October 31st, 2010, 10:15 PM
I would have liked previous gen pokemon. It is unrealistic to have a completely new start (I know pokemon is never realistic). I don't know why but I just feel that there should have been pokemon from all 5 gens in Isshu, it just seems kind of empty I guess.

vaporeon7
November 1st, 2010, 12:14 AM

I agree with you I mean Luvdisc NEEDED a evolution and every time I see Mamanbou I'll think it should have been the one reason besides the Pokedex entry and Heart Scales to catch a Luvdisc. I would have also liked to see a few familiar faces such as Magikarp. I mean what's fishing without finding Magikarp every few goes.

mervyn797
November 1st, 2010, 03:08 AM
They should have had made some pre and final evos for previous Pokémon.
^ I choose this option.
I really wanted to see the pre and final evolutions for some Pokemon like Kangaskhan. It would have been fun if this region had some connection with the previous ones. ;_;

fenyx4
November 1st, 2010, 08:04 AM

Yeah...either that or utilize Incenses again. It just feels like such a waste when frail Pokemon like Luvdisc keep on getting shafted on new evos...

...omg girl, reading your first post confuses me. XD

I'm glad they didn't include the previous Pokemon. Really, after DPPt, we didn't need new evolutions because they spoiled so many Pokemon. Sure we could have got evolutions or pre-evolutions for ones that did need it, but then we were at risk of getting bad evolutions. I would've preferred if there were 150 only Pokemon, too, like the original generation, but hey the Pokemon (except a few) we have are fine.

I don't think it's fair that Mamanbou especially gets so much hate, mainly because it isn't the evolution of Luvdisc. On its own, the Pokemon looks pretty awesome imo, plus a lot of other Pokemon look similar too that nobody bothers to complain about (or even take the roles of, that is), like Kurimiru, Doredia, Munna, Koromori, Tabuune, Mamepato, etc, the popular ones everyone likes but aren't referred to as much as Mamanbou. I say this because I've noticed a trend of people disliking it mainly for that reason, which kinda sucks, because these new Pokemon fill the roles of those and that should be good enough.

All in all, I'm all good with the fact that we didn't get new evolutions. Oh and then there's the fact that only 27 Pokemon didn't get evolutions in B/W (if I counted correctly), which is a pretty small number thinking about it, suggesting that in future games, there won't be any evolutions of any older Pokemon, including B/W. I know I've said that before, but I wanted to say it again, sooo yeah.

Personally, I liked Gen 4's pre-evos and evos. Only Lickilicky seems a bit forced. I was a bit averse towards Probopass and Magnezone at first, but have gradually warmed up to them. I don't hate Mamenbou; I actually think it has a great design. I'm just a bit annoyed that we have so many Expies (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Expy)this Generation when they would've worked as great evos of past Pokemon, IMO. If Game Freak is going to bother to make standalone, non-evolving Pokemon, they should take care to have them not resemble old Pokemon and be adequate statwise...

On a side-note, since this Gen is a supposed rebirth, they could've done away with all the Incenses, unless specifically needed for certain Pokemon.

Reshiram Man
November 1st, 2010, 02:31 PM
i voted the third option, because some pokemon deserve evolutions and pre-evolutions

Myles
November 1st, 2010, 02:41 PM
Although I would have liked to see some evolutions to some previous Pokemon (like Farfetch'd, Dunsparce, etc.), I do like the feel of only new Pokemon. I voted the middle one. Although, they could have just added evolutions to previous Pokemon but only had them in the national Pokedex.

o0PinkSquid0o
November 1st, 2010, 02:57 PM
I like that they started the game with all new pokemon, it made the game feel fresh and new BUT I think they should have made some evolutions for some of the more weaker pokemon from other generations.

November 1st, 2010, 03:04 PM
I hope that next gen goes ahead and doesn't go the BW route as I like seeing old pokemon getting new additions to their lines, poor Farfetch' still has to wait another gen to get an evolution...or more...

Espeonrules
November 1st, 2010, 04:33 PM
I feel that by NOT including Pokemon from previous generations, B/W achieved the goal of being a completely new game. I mean, the whole idea of B/W was the rebirth of a new generation. I love the fresh feeling I get from B/W.

It's really a shame that so many of the new Pokemon are getting so much hate because of not being an evolution of a previous generation Pokemon. If you just look at these Pokemon individually, without comparing them to others, they really arn't that bad. Of course, there are some Pokemon that could have used more work, but honestly, every generation has those.

As for getting more evolutions, I think that we have too many as it is. With D/P/Pt, we got a ton more evolutions to old Pokemon, and I liked that. But now, adding more evolutions would just be a bit much. Plus the fact that it would ruin the whole new feeling.

PlatinumDude
November 1st, 2010, 05:52 PM
GameFreak should've made evos/pre-evos to some of the older gen Pokemon, such as Luvdisc, when Mamanbou was revealed.

It just doesn't feel the same not having the old Pokemon around (like Zubat, Geodude, etc.). I did like it when we got replacements for them, though (Koromori, Dangoro, etc.).

Åzurε
November 1st, 2010, 06:41 PM
I voted for pre/evos.

Mamanbou... just... okay, if it wasn't pink and heart shaped, I wouldn't have cared. A sunfish pokemon is an awesome idea. But come on, folks. They were asking for all this flack. Even buffalafro is fine as it's own Pokemon (bull =/= buffalo), but Mamanbou...

They way they did things, certain Pokemon should have gotten additions to their evolution chains.
Had they not inserted Pokemon like Mamanbou, it would have been a non-issue.

November 1st, 2010, 07:26 PM
I voted for pre/evos.

Mamanbou... just... okay, if it wasn't pink and heart shaped, I wouldn't have cared. A sunfish pokemon is an awesome idea. But come on, folks. They were asking for all this flack. Even buffalafro is fine as it's own Pokemon (bull =/= buffalo), but Mamanbou...

They way they did things, certain Pokemon should have gotten additions to their evolution chains.
Had they not inserted Pokemon like Mamanbou, it would have been a non-issue.
Same here...I just can't see Mamanbou as having no relation to Luvdisc...

Guy
November 2nd, 2010, 07:13 AM
Starting a new generation with all new Pokémon available except for those found in the past generations was never the issue for me. I can play a game that feels entirely new and still enjoy it. Besides, it gives me the chance to stop depending on the Pokémon I've used multiple times before when given the opportunity.

When the fourth generation came rolling in, there were some new pre-evolutions and evolutions that caught me on edge, but as I saw them more, I eventaully came to terms with them. Now, I find that GameFreak did a fine job with the new (pre)evolutions they put in. Very many of them becoming quite popular amongst the fans.

It's the fact they decided to replica the past generation so much, specifically Kanto's Pokémon, that it upset this generation the most. Like Yamikarasu said, when you look at some of these new Pokémon you feel as though you know it should connect with previous Pokémon in some relation; be it evolution or new form. So, if they were going for a new start, they could have done it through a variety of ways. As for the Pokémon, they shouldn't have made them so disconnected, yet at the same time so similar.

I voted "They should have had made some pre and final evos for previous Pokémon."

otakulily
November 2nd, 2010, 09:21 AM
Actually, I think every new gen should be like this. It would be the easiest way to keep the series alive. Once we 1000 Pokemon, nobody would be able to keep up with both the new guys and the old guys. They're definitely planning ahead. If the series really does plan for a few more generations of new Pokemon, the newer games probably won't even be able to hold all the old Pokemon in it.

November 3rd, 2010, 07:45 AM
Once you have obtained the National Dex, older generation pokemon start showing up in different areas.
So how it is set up is pretty cool. New pokemon until the national dex and a variety afterwards.

Stormbringer
November 3rd, 2010, 11:49 AM
I don't mind either way. But the way they did it gives B&W more of the new, "reboot" feel.

TheAppleFreak
November 3rd, 2010, 12:00 PM
I think that they should have had at least a few Pokémon be evos/preevos. At the very least, Mamabou and the afro bull whose name I can't remember and don't wanna look up.

Bay Alexison
November 4th, 2010, 09:38 AM
*tries to post at B/W again after lurking for a while*

Haven't played the games yet, but I think it's neat we don't get the previous Pokemon until after the main plot is done with. Gives me the chance to try out all of the new Pokemon. When I played Sapphire or Diamond, I tend to have maybe one or two past gen Pokemon in my team, so I'm not able to play around with the new Pokemon.

PsychoJigglypuff
November 4th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I'm just fine with no previous gen Pokemon, especially since they are very abundant post-E4. Practically the only thing you run into.

Also, I am one of the few people who don't care about prevos or evos. Not every Pokemon needs one, even if the Pokemon's stats aren't that great. It's not the stats that count, it's how you use it. =w= )b

...Mamanbou and Buffaron are totally original. *shifty eyes*

Logiedan
November 4th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I actually loved how they didn't include the previous generation Pokémon until the story was finished. It makes it feel more of a new generation.

Garringman
November 4th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I wish they had added a few evolutions in Black and White and just kept them in the end of the Isshu dex after beating the main story like they did in Platinum. I was really hoping to see certain evolutions like Farfetch'd, Dunsparce, and even though its kind of unnecessary I'd love to see what they would do for Absol and of course at least 1 eeveelution.

Bay Alexison
November 4th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I'm just fine with no previous gen Pokemon, especially since they are very abundant post-E4. Practically the only thing you run into.

Also, I am one of the few people who don't care about prevos or evos. Not every Pokemon needs one, even if the Pokemon's stats aren't that great. It's not the stats that count, it's how you use it. =w= )b

...Mamanbou and Buffaron are totally original. *shifty eyes*

Agree with you on the how you use the Pokemon part. Many Pokemon that people wouldn't use on their team I use a lot and it seems to go along fine because I come up with different ways to use my Pokemon.

flight
November 5th, 2010, 07:48 PM
To be honest, to keep the clean, fresh start, I would prefer it if none of the previous gen Pokemon were in B/W. It's been done for the past 4 generation to have previous gen Pokemon included in it, but I would think it's time for a change in all that. D:

Fushigidane-Chan
November 5th, 2010, 08:31 PM
While the Dex wasn't as varied as it could've been, I appreciated the fresh start. On the third version, however, I wouldn't be opposed to an expansion of the regional Dex.

dragon0fangz
November 5th, 2010, 08:35 PM
im fine with the fresh start, i just wish they allowed pokeshifting at anytime after the first gym. i dont want any more firered fails.

candracar272
November 5th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Personally, I like the idea of the "fresh start", considering Isshu is supposed to be overseas. How would a 1-4 Gen get to Isshu without human interaction? Sortof like animals in our world-- which is why I still don't get why turkeys (native to the Americas) are frequently associated with Medieval Europe.

Kaori
November 6th, 2010, 02:06 PM
For myself I would say I'm liking the "fresh start". Not everyone liked the idea of seeing the old generation Pokémon over and over, especially the swarms such as Zubat and Geodude. Now with this, it's going to be nice having to see more of the Black and White Pokémon than the others, this gives us a chance to get a view on all. Besides that, after the National Pokédex we'll be able to obtain the other generation Pokémon from the PokéShifter and begin seeing them in different parts of Isshu from then on so that's also a plus.

So my vote goes to how it's fine the way it is now, with the fresh start and all.

As for pre-evolutions, final evolutions and the group among all that, it would have been nice to see what they could include from that. Mamanbou really deserved to be the evolution for Luvdisc, but seeing as GameFreak most likely tried to base some of the Pokémon off of the others to have some relations from the other gen Pokémon, I guess that would be the exception. :(

xMiZx
November 7th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I like the idea of the 5th Gen having a "fresh start." Granted it would have been nice for a few new evolutions from the previous gen, but they would have had to connect the rest of the pkmn in the game. More pkmn the merrier, but if it was in a completely foreign region, it would be weird.

Also, I believe they might build on the Isshu region. Seems that way.