PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Emerald - Johto Starters

L5Animations
November 21st, 2010, 05:10 AM
You know how in Emerald, if you fill your HoennDex you can choose one of the three Johto starters? How long did it take you to get to that point in the game, and, how did you do it.

For me, I traded over from other games (via XD), caught Pokemon, and threw an EXP share on Pokemon that needed to evolve and went through the E4 just about a million times. Seriously, through that, TWO of my in game team grew to level one hundred. It took me several months to do.

And I've soft reseting for a shiny Cyndaquil ever since.

bwburke94
November 21st, 2010, 06:58 AM
My copy of XD is busted, and I play my Emerald on a DS anyway, so it'll take a while. Remember, all mons missing from the Hoenn Dex are in XD.

Sydian
November 21st, 2010, 10:16 AM
It took me half a year to do the Hoenn Dex on Sapphire, so there is no way I'd ever do it again on Emerald. I could easily do that though, since I have almost everything in some form or fashion. I imagine it'd only take a day or two. I just have that much stuff lying around, haha.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
November 21st, 2010, 11:13 AM
I never did. I eventually grew sick and tired of Emerald and sold it to GameStop, so odds are I won't be completing it and getting the starter ever.

gamefan1
November 21st, 2010, 06:30 PM
hahahah it took me a month to finish XD (cause of school works :( but emerald only took me 2 weeks rigth now i have 353 pokemon and 85 hour game play XD

Arc
November 21st, 2010, 06:52 PM
It took me a good 7 months, to finish the Hoenn Dex. I remember grinding experience for all the third stage Pokemon like a mad man. But it was worth it, to see my favorite fire type in my possession.

Kirbychu
November 22nd, 2010, 09:46 AM
I never completed the Hoenn Dex; I was to busy owning my friends and completing the National Dex.

dragoniteuser
November 22nd, 2010, 09:53 AM
Never really tried it, but now that you mention it, I might just aswell try! ;)

mal'akh
November 22nd, 2010, 10:43 AM
Tch. Forget that. I did it in Leafgreen, but nothing else.

Amore
November 22nd, 2010, 11:42 AM
Never could.......my GBA was all I owned, so no trading....not that I had wired/wireless adapters anyway....and now my GBA is gone (sadly I had to get rid if I wanted a DSi) so I couldn't trade even if I found the adapters.....tbh, between Emerald and LeafGreen I can probably get 300+ in my National Pokédex......

XD looked good....but I can guarantee the graphics'd seem too dated for me now...although I would love to use Munchlax/Bonsly (or are they both in it? xD)...

Mewtwo152
November 22nd, 2010, 01:40 PM
Took me a while, but I did it. If the game was out in May 2005, I think I was done with every side-quest by August, so I was done by November. I traded most of my Pokemon from the other third gen games, the only reason it took so long was that I didn't feel like cloning that many Zigzagoon.

Petemon
November 30th, 2010, 08:40 AM
2 days but i cheated but i got the 3 of them a t once by copy and saving the Sa1 file before i piked the pokemon (Pretty smart)

Mew~
December 2nd, 2010, 11:40 AM
I never did get to doing it. I did want to put I didn't know many people with the other version. :(

If I did I would have chosen Totodile.

560cool.
December 2nd, 2010, 11:44 AM
I had no idea about this award. T_T
Which immediately results I never tried filling the dex in my Emerald ROM on my PSP (my first Pokemon game).

mondays suck
December 2nd, 2010, 12:45 PM
Even if I would have had the ability to trade, I probably would have never managed this.
Also, when I learned about this fact, I had already moved on from cartridges to roms and when I found out how to trade between roms (which I find not worth it anyways because it always takes eternally to get it to work, stuff keeps crashing) my playing style had already transformed from having one constant file to my characteristic challenge spam.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
December 5th, 2010, 12:26 PM
It took me less than a week to do so (like five days) without cheating

:t354:TG

GlitchCity
December 7th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I have never gotten up to that point :[

NekoNekoChan
December 8th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Seriously, I don't even know that there was this such kind of reward. xD;

BLK
December 11th, 2010, 11:03 AM
i had multiple games and gameboys so it took me about 3 weeks after witch i chose totidile
(my spelling is horrible)

WildGamerAppeared
December 11th, 2010, 08:22 PM
It took me around half a year D:

Otherworld9)
December 22nd, 2010, 04:09 PM
It took me a full month (in summer vacation) to complete the game and fill my dex. Unfortunately, you only get two random options:
They give you a choice of the three starters-90%
Or give you a ticket to fight Ash and Gary is some random island-10%
Unfortunately, I got to fight Ash and Gary, which took me long. Sorry, but I wasn't able to get the starter for some reason having to do with luck and math, but I hope to myself to start the game over if I can(got so attached to my pokemon) and start over to get the starters.

KingCyndaquil
January 5th, 2011, 03:15 PM
took me about two months with my friends XD, i still have that emerald now that i think about it should be in my gameboy advance lol

Pokémon Grey
January 7th, 2011, 06:51 AM
It took me a full month (in summer vacation) to complete the game and fill my dex. Unfortunately, you only get two random options:
They give you a choice of the three starters-90%
Or give you a ticket to fight Ash and Gary is some random island-10%
Unfortunately, I got to fight Ash and Gary, which took me long. Sorry, but I wasn't able to get the starter for some reason having to do with luck and math, but I hope to myself to start the game over if I can(got so attached to my pokemon) and start over to get the starters.

U can't face Ash & Gary in Emerald
XD

Symbiosis
January 20th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Took me a few weeks if my memory servers me right.

Doppelgänger
January 20th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I never got up to that point :(

Maybe I should pick up my Emerald and start playing again and accomplish that...

sab
January 21st, 2011, 03:36 PM
Took a long time, but I got it about twothird of the way through completing my national dex. I've finished national, but I still have yet to bother trading over all the unown forms.

fenyx4
February 16th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I've done it once, and the reason was that, at the time, it was the only way to obtain the Johto starters. Thank goodness we now have HGSS, because completing the Hoenn Dex was a bit daunting! Luckily, someone lent me their GBA, so using my Link Cable & GBASP, Emerald and FireRed cartridges, and borrowed Ruby and Sapphire cartridges, I finally managed to complete the Hoenn Dex!

The Johto starter I chose was Totodile, and I still have it in a box at Level 5. Originally, I was going to redo a savefile and complete the Hoenn Dex again for Chikorita, and then do it one more time for Cyndaquil, my preferred Johto starter, in my permanent file. Sadly, I do not have the borrowed Sapphire cartridge and the borrowed GBA console anymore, so I most likely won't be able to achieve the feat again in Emerald. :( And it's not even my permanent file...

Anyway, I plan to do not-so-intensive trading with HeartGold, and eventually compile all of the Johto starters in one game. Much easier than the method Emerald required. >_>

dewm3734
February 17th, 2011, 07:12 PM
completing a pokedex is a monumental task, even with a link cable, back when I played this i was a lot younger and very incompetent, if I tryed now, considering in this game there is only 386, I might be able to do it in a few weeks, if I could find my old gba and link cable.

MysticFlygon
February 17th, 2011, 09:35 PM
I got Emerald the day it came out way back in 2005 and I completed the Hoenn dex in 2007. It definitely felt good to have a Totodile for the first time since GSC. I completed my first ever Nat'l dex in Emerald later that year too.

Rayziken 2
February 18th, 2011, 04:43 AM
I have a question. I chose Torchic, but I haven't seen any Pokemon in the Treecko line yet. I haven't even saw Swampert. How do you see trade evos without trading, and how do you see the starters I listed above?

ShiftElement
February 18th, 2011, 05:07 AM
I never completet any of them.. :(

GirlieNinjaRose
February 19th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Never heard ot this, but I might try.

Perrie ✿
February 19th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I bought Emerald about 3 months before Diamond and Pearl came out.

So I had just completed Emerald and the Battle frontier all Silver medals when I learned about the Johto starters... but then a week later Pearl came through my letter box and I never played Emerald for ages haha n.n

PiPVoda
February 19th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Luckily when I got the johto starters I had three other friends who had the game,and we all worked together trading pokemon, etc. So this only took me a few weeks to complete. I also traded some pokemon over from my ruby and sapphire.

Now, I don't have any friends with any of the gen three games. So if I want to complete the Emerald pokedex again it's going to take me a long time.