PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] Isshu's gone Unova?

Kaori
November 22nd, 2010, 03:57 PM
So as we got the news with the English names for the starter Pokémon, we also received the English name for the Isshu region. We've had Kanto and Kanto, Johto and Johto, Hoenn and Hoenn and Sinnoh and Sinnoh, so one would only assume Isshu, Isshu right? However this is not the case. The English name for the region is...the Unova Region.

First off, I want to ask Nintendo...why. Why do they pick the time now to change the pattern? :\ I was fine with Isshu, it was very creative in my opinion. I've got isshu's with this but I guess I'll have to deal with it. :( It isn't half bad either though, but still, I would have preferred Isshu anytime.

So...discuss!
[Keep in mind this is only to discuss the Isshu...er, Unova region and its name]

altariaking
November 22nd, 2010, 04:01 PM
It's not bad...but I preferred Isshu. I just think Isshu suited Isshu. I mean Isshu suited Unova. Wait, Isshu is Unova, so Unova suits Unova. Gah! I'm so confused! Where are my pills...

seeker
November 22nd, 2010, 04:03 PM
Personally, I don't see why they went off the 2 syllable word pattern.
Kan - to
Joh - to
Ho - enn
Sinn - oh
Issh - u

I don't mind it that much but I liked Isshu. It's nice on the ear, a euphonic sounding word, yet Unova sounds so brash. But,m Unova is closer to Untied States of America.

Also this;
UN - United Nations
Ov - of
A - America

Agent Clank
November 22nd, 2010, 04:04 PM
Unova isn't THAT bad, I mean its pretty bad but not terrible.
I thought that Isshu suited Isshu, but I guess Nintendo didn't ;-;

Kenshin5
November 22nd, 2010, 04:06 PM
Maybe they changed the name of the region because this one is a great distance from the others and they want to Englishnize the name. Hopefully they give a reason at some point for the Regional name change.

yuki1406
November 22nd, 2010, 04:07 PM
I was really disappointed with that. :/

I see they wanted to innovate even more, but renaming a region feels just wrong. And Unova it's a terrible name...

PlatinumDude
November 22nd, 2010, 04:07 PM
I liked Isshu better than Unova, even though there's nothing wrong with the latter. Unova is going to take a while to get used to.

M4
November 22nd, 2010, 04:19 PM
Nintendo are a bunch of hermaphrodites.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
November 22nd, 2010, 04:19 PM
So as we got the news with the English names for the starter Pokémon, we also received the English name for the Isshu region. We've had Kanto and Kanto, Johto and Johto, Hoenn and Hoenn and Sinnoh and Sinnoh, so one would only assume Isshu, Isshu right? However this is not the case. The English name for the region is...the Unova Region.

First off, I want to ask Nintendo...why. Why do they pick the time now to change the pattern? :\ I was fine with Isshu, it was very creative in my opinion. I've got isshu's with this but I guess I'll have to deal with it. :( It isn't half bad either though, but still, I would have preferred Isshu anytime.

So...discuss!
[Keep in mind this is only to discuss the Isshu...er, Unova region and its name]
Actually Sinnoh's Japanese name was Shin'ō, and Hoenn's was and Hoenn was just little diffrent from it's Japanese name which was Hoen (they just added an n) so only Sinnoh and Isshu really have had real name changes with Isshu have the most drastic from Isshu to Unova (just correcting you on your trivia is all :) )

Forever
November 22nd, 2010, 04:20 PM
I honestly hate Unova, it's not appealing to me at all. Isshu, however, was awesome and I will not be calling Isshu "Unova" anywhere unless I officially have to, lol :(

Btw. A better way of thinking of Unova -

"A star that suddenly becomes much brighter and then gradually returns to its original brightness..." found from the online dictionary.

U = You.

So, Unova means a place where you can be a star, but when you leave, the... star-quality wears away, promoting that you should stay in Isshu.

dragon0fangz
November 22nd, 2010, 04:20 PM
I like unova, it has nova, which means new. very fitting, for a region with the likes of Hiun City.

Oshawott
November 22nd, 2010, 04:21 PM
Apparently, in the Spanish versions of the games, it is going to be referred to as "Teselia".

I'm not too sure about that, though.
I like the name though. I have no isshus with it. XD

November 22nd, 2010, 04:24 PM
Unova...I wonder if it comes from Uno (one) and Nova as in star meaning one star referring to how Reshiram and Zekrom were once one powerful being... or I might just be over thinking things...

butterbiscuit
November 22nd, 2010, 04:25 PM
I always take a while to transition from the Japanese name to the English, but I'm not that concerned about a name. It doesn't really change anything, and I think the name is fine.

M4
November 22nd, 2010, 04:26 PM
Unova...I wonder if it comes from Uno (one) and Nova as in star meaning one star referring to how Reshiram and Zekrom were once one powerful being... or I might just be over thinking things...

The Game involves Arceus and only Arceus, if you're not Arceus, you're nothing.

Team Fail
November 22nd, 2010, 04:28 PM
I don't mind the name- I'll use Isshu and Unova interchangably. The names of the starters are a whole other league, though. I wonder what other languages the region will be called, as well as Tsutaja, Pokabu and Mijumaru? Hmmmm...

November 22nd, 2010, 04:29 PM
I always take a while to transition from the Japanese name to the English, but I'm not that concerned about a name. It doesn't really change anything, and I think the name is fine.
Yeah it does...oddly I have never dealt with a situation like this before as I have never really gotten used to the Japanese names of the Regions or of the starters but this generation I saw and got used to it's Japanese name but it's still easy to transition :)
Unova really sounds cool :D

Team Fail
November 22nd, 2010, 04:29 PM
The Game involves Arceus and only Arceus, if you're not Arceus, you're nothing.

The game has NOTHING TO DO with Arceus. I now wonder what the CITY AND TOWN NAMES will be. :D

butterbiscuit
November 22nd, 2010, 04:34 PM
I don't mind the name- I'll use Isshu and Unova interchangably. The names of the starters are a whole other league, though. I wonder what other languages the region will be called, as well as Tsutaja, Pokabu and Mijumaru? Hmmmm...

Yeah, I don't really like the starters' names at all.

Snivy?...
._.

And I thought Turtwig was a bit much.

November 22nd, 2010, 04:36 PM
The game has NOTHING TO DO with Arceus. I now wonder what the CITY AND TOWN NAMES will be. :D
OH yeah we have yet to learn those places names :D
I wonder if Huin will sound like New...york
Wait a moment york new...change that to You and then change that to U and New to Nova you get Unova :P

Fee Nicks
November 22nd, 2010, 04:38 PM
In retrospect, you guys should have seen this coming from a mile away.
The reason? Team Plasma.
Also given that everything pre-Elite Four is all new pokemon, a drastic shift in the naming pattern of the regions doesn't exactly seem out of the question.

November 22nd, 2010, 04:41 PM
In retrospect, you guys should have seen this coming from a mile away.
The reason? Team Plasma.
Also given that everything pre-Elite Four is all new pokemon, a drastic shift in the naming pattern of the regions doesn't exactly seem out of the question.
True there is that Plasma and Nova relation
And new pokemon and Nova relation we should have seen...well at least Tsutarja's name was predictable :)

Nakuzami
November 22nd, 2010, 04:45 PM
I'm very disappointed. I don't know how i'm going to adjust, i'v been calling it Isshu for months, same with the starters(and they're just disappointing :()
I just found this all out about 2 minutes ago, as I never really visit this section and I just found it out on a different website. Very, very disappointing...

Volroc
November 22nd, 2010, 05:03 PM
WORST RENAME EVER!

Isshu was awesome :( why Unova? it sounds like its trying too hard to top every other regions name :/

November 22nd, 2010, 05:07 PM
WORST RENAME EVER!

Isshu was awesome :( why Unova? it sounds like its trying too hard to top every other regions name :/
If you mean letter wise not really as Hoenn(H) and Johto (J) which come before Kanto (K)
I not then what do you mean?

yaya0
November 22nd, 2010, 05:07 PM
Trollfreak is troll.

I'm using both names interchangeably.

bobandbill
November 22nd, 2010, 05:27 PM
First off, I want to ask Nintendo...why. Why do they pick the time now to change the pattern? :\ I was fine with Isshu, it was very creative in my opinion. I've got isshu's with this but I guess I'll have to deal with it. :( It isn't half bad either though, but still, I would have preferred Isshu anytime. Idk, I don't mind that they changed it personally. After all changing a couple of letters from the Japanese name isn't that creative either...

As for meanings, consider this. First there's the whole UN (united) (states) OV (Of) A (america) thing.... but then there's the fact that Isshu, iirc, could be taken to mean 'one variety'.

Unova --> 'uno' + va, or 'unum' (one) and 'nova' (new)... if anything it actually seems to be a multi-layered name. Which seems rather neat to me.

Reason why a lot of you dislike it I feel may be due to the fact you're used to the old name... but you may grow to like it, as many people have admitted to doing every gen, and with for instance the starter Pokemon themselves when they were first released...one could go on. tl;dr - I don't feel it's that bad and the name actually still fits, IMO.

Buoysel
November 22nd, 2010, 05:59 PM
UN [/B]- United Nations
Ov - of
A - America
[/FONT]

xD

Now thats funny... does Game Freak hate America, I mean after the Vicitinii = Nuclear bomb thing?

Anyways, imo, Unova sounds like a Russian name. but I like it.

bwburke94
November 22nd, 2010, 06:09 PM
The Spanish name change is likely because "no va" means "doesn't go" in Spanish. The change wouldn't have been so sudden to me had they done it earlier, but TWO MONTHS after the Japanese B/W release is too long. I'll probably use both names interchangeably.

flight
November 22nd, 2010, 06:20 PM
Reason why a lot of you dislike it I feel may be du to the fact you're used to the old name... but you may grow to like it, as many people have admitted to doing every gen, and with for instance the starter Pokemon themselves when they were first released...one could go on. tl;dr - I don't fele it's that bad and the name actually still fits, IMO.

This.

I don't get why people still complain about the names, it's a bit silly when we all know that once we get our hands on the English games, about 90-95% of us would automatically adjust to the English names after...give or take either a few hours or a few days into the game.

It always happens. :(

Snivy
November 22nd, 2010, 06:25 PM
Isshu is... What is the name origin for Isshu? But Unova is way different than Isshu. Unova actually sounds like a mythical place. :P I actually like both of the names for this region, honestly. I'm fine with either one.

Kenshin5
November 22nd, 2010, 06:26 PM
This.

I don't get why people still complain about the names, it's a bit silly when we all know that once we get our hands on the English games, about 90-95% of us would automatically adjust to the English names after...give or take either a few hours or a few days into the game.

It always happens. :(
People just love to complain plane and simple. And it gives them something to talk about. Like when the Final Evolutions where released a good deal of people were, like OMG those are fake! What horrible designs those things don't look like pokemon.

Air Lock
November 22nd, 2010, 06:45 PM
Unova = cool to say...

But kinda faily.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
November 22nd, 2010, 06:54 PM
I actually don't care about the name because the name doesn't determine the game play of the game.

:t354:TG

Swolligator
November 22nd, 2010, 07:05 PM
I laugh at all the English players who have to adjust now, thank god I'm Japanese.
Anyway, Unova....meh, will always be イッシュ to me.

Gymnotide
November 22nd, 2010, 07:30 PM
I'm sure GameFreak isn't so smart, but "u" or "Y" (upsilon, pronounced like English u / French u) is a Greek letter with the symbolic meaning of two diverging paths -- one of virtue and the other of vice. "Nova" in Latin strictly means "new." Therefore, "Unova" is a place of new beginnings, where one can choose a path of good or evil, regardless of their past choices.

It makes sense because Unova is a completely different country altogether and the theme of good / evil is reflected in Black / White and the dichotomy between elements in the new series (i.e. nature vs. technology, wind & lightning, etc.)

Of course, no one but me would have thought of that.

fenyx4
November 22nd, 2010, 07:59 PM

I see they wanted to innovate even more, but renaming a region feels just wrong. And Unova it's a terrible name...

IMO, Unova is an awesome name, but I wish it (Unova) was the universal name for the region (possibly save for Spanish due to the reason quoted below). The Japanese name of the region should have been Unova from the start, citing the origin as from a foreign language. I think a lot of us have become too accustomed to Isshu now, and the name change this late since the Japanese BW release is a bit jarring and is going to, in my case, take a long while to adjust to, if ever.

But yeah, drastically renaming a region like that is just wrong. It just ruins the whole spirit of the Pokemon region names. Despite Isshu's strong resemblance to the terms issue and tissue, I still like it as a name...

Actually Sinnoh's Japanese name was Shin'ō, and Hoenn's was and Hoenn was just little diffrent from it's Japanese name which was Hoen (they just added an n) so only Sinnoh and Isshu really have had real name changes with Isshu have the most drastic from Isshu to Unova (just correcting you on your trivia is all :) )

Yeah - I thought they would just change a letter or two, or just change it to the word Issue. But Unova is pretty drastic...

I honestly hate Unova, it's not appealing to me at all. Isshu, however, was awesome and [S-HIGHLIGHT]I will not be calling Isshu "Unova" anywhere unless I officially have to, lol :(
[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
Btw. A better way of thinking of Unova -

"A star that suddenly becomes much brighter and then gradually returns to its original brightness..." found from the online dictionary.

U = You.

So, Unova means a place where you can be a star, but when you leave, the... star-quality wears away, promoting that you should stay in Isshu.

I'm liking the multiple meanings Unova can have... As for your only calling Unova Isshu, I think I might have done that as well...I'm certainly doing that for some of the starters (still undecided on Pokabu and Tsutarja; but I am ALWAYS calling Mijumaru Wotter (or possibly Mijumaru if needed), no matter what).

Yeah it does...oddly I have never dealt with a situation like this before as I have never really gotten used to the Japanese names of the Regions or of the starters but this generation I saw and got used to it's Japanese name but it's still easy to transition :)
Unova really sounds cool :D

I know! Getting to know everything by the Japanese names and having to switch to English (or your local language) gets really frustrating!! If the localized name is better than the Japanese one, that helps it a lot though...

WORST RENAME EVER!

I know! Personally the only Isshu I have with Unova is that I have to adjust, and the Japanese naming of the region is now a Missed Moment of Awesome (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MissedMomentOfAwesome), because Unova makes so much better sense with the thematic element of Generation V being the rebirth of Pokemon and all....

Idk, I don't mind that they changed it personally. After all changing a couple of letters from the Japanese name isn't that creative either...

As for meanings, consider this. First there's the whole UN (united) (states) OV (Of) A (america) thing.... but then there's the fact that Isshu, iirc, could be taken to mean 'one variety'.

Unova --> 'uno' + va, or 'unum' (one) and 'nova' (new)... if anything it actually seems to be a multi-layered name. Which seems rather neat to me.

Reason why a lot of you dislike it I feel may be due to the fact you're used to the old name... but you may grow to like it, as many people have admitted to doing every gen, and with for instance the starter Pokemon themselves when they were first released...one could go on. tl;dr - I don't feel it's that bad and the name actually still fits, IMO.

WTF? Isshu is supposed to mean one variety? Very strange... (Sidenote: reminds me of a comment someone made on a Bulbanews article about the article title being titled It Isshu What It Is (http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Looking_Forward:_It_Isshu_What_It_Is), which implies the meaning of "take it or leave it, because it's all we have", something seen as a negative business concept). Unova fits the region excellently as a name as opposed to Isshu. But Isshu isn't a bad name at all; it should have been saved for a future region's name. If we get a region with a suckish name in every language, I'm naming it Isshu (mass confusion ensues). :rambo:

As for the "changing a couple letters from the Japanese name" process, I don't think it is meant to be creative, but rather to make the name's spelling look a bit better aesthetically (well, to some people's eyes). For example, IMO I think that transliterating Houen to Hoenn is a plus, because the Japanese spelling sort of looks awkward....

The Spanish name change is likely because "no va" means "doesn't go" in Spanish. The change wouldn't have been so sudden to me had they done it earlier, but TWO MONTHS after the Japanese B/W release is too long. I'll probably use both names interchangeably.

LOL at that meaning along with Isshu's "one variety" meaning. :cer_laugh: But couldn't they have used a corruption like Unueva? (uno and estrella nueva; the latter of which means nova in Spanish, from my research). I can't even see an origin for Teselia, and all the other localized names seem to have something implying one/1 or the letter U (possibly standing for United States of America, as Isshu/Unova is based on New York). So the Spanish name is the odd one out, despite Teselia sounding very pretty. I'm actually very surprised that the Spanish region name didn't even incorporate the term uno, as the Spanish name for "1" is, spelling-wise, a bit closer to the Latin name than the English name "one" is.

And yeah, the timing of the name change makes the whole ordeal even worse...

I laugh at all the English players who have to adjust now, thank god I'm Japanese.

-_- This is why there should've been a simultaneous worldwide BW release, lol...so we can all adjust to our localized names fairly quickly rather than having difficulty in struggling to shift away from the Japanese labels to the English ones...

I'm sure GameFreak isn't so smart, but "u" or "Y" (upsilon) is a Greek letter with the symbolic meaning of two diverging paths -- one of virtue and the other of vice. "Nova" in Latin strictly means "new." Therefore, "Unova" is a place of new beginnings, where one can choose a path of good or evil, regardless of their past choices.

It makes sense because Unova is a completely different country altogether and the theme of good / evil is reflected in Black / White and the dichotomy between elements in the new series (i.e. nature vs. technology, wind & lightning, etc.)

Of course, no one but me would have thought of that.

Very interesting symbolism find...I'm liking Unova even more! :D

In conclusion, Unova should've been the name from the start, including the Japanese versions, and should have been present in all regions instead of introducing all the different localized changes for Isshu. Despite the Spanish Isshu with "Unova", I still think they should have preserved the name. Dialga had a similar problem with the -alga suffixpossibly implying algae in Spanish, but the name was still kept. All the localizers have to do is cite a foreign origin for the name instead, and it should be fine.

And LOL, Unova sounds like a girl's name that would be used in the Legend of Zelda series. And when I first saw the thread title, I thought that the OP was trying to make a very awkward pun with the phrase "gone under/over" to reference the (apparent?) declining quality of Isshu and the newly revealed English names...

wolf
November 22nd, 2010, 08:17 PM
I don't mind Unova, and after seeing what it apparently stands for fits B/W more in my opinion. Though I do like Isshu more as a name, and sounds more "natural" than Unova.

countryemo
November 22nd, 2010, 08:19 PM
After I found out about Unova, I went to Pokemon.com (went to pokebeach first) and suddenly I love Unova <3 i dont know why..
Itll just take some ajusting? to get used too.

King Gumball
November 22nd, 2010, 09:11 PM
I'm sure everyone will get erfectly used to the Unova region eventually, but I too was extremely disappointed with the change. Although we should have expected a new name, since basically every old pokemon tradition was broken this gen :/

Unova is like Uno, one, as this region is a brand new start, so the first gen of the new era of pokemon. I think that would have greatly influenced their choice to call it Unova, as well as that previous USA theory.

Latios Master
November 22nd, 2010, 10:01 PM
I didn't like the Isshu name, and Unova sounds cool, but I thought they should of stuck with the same name, since they always have.

The Corrupt Plague
November 22nd, 2010, 10:46 PM
It does seem kinda weird, but I'll try my best to get used to it. I shouldn't let something as trivial as a name ruin the entire game.

Sabrewulf238
November 22nd, 2010, 11:07 PM
Overall I like the starters name.....

but Unova is just really odd. There was nothing wrong with Isshu (and that's not just shock talking) I honestly love Isshu more.

I think it might call the region Isshu anyway....unless I learn to adapt to Unova.

Is Unova pronounced like "You-nova"? Because that's the only way I'll ever adapt to it is if it's pronounced like that.

KaosDoom
November 22nd, 2010, 11:09 PM
Interesting selection of the english name of the new region.. hmmm..
I still prefer Isshu.. oh well.. guess have to get used to it like we will have to once we hear all of the english names for the new pokemons.

Aquacorde
November 22nd, 2010, 11:14 PM
I'm going to keep calling it Isshu.
That's its original name, I'm used to it, and it just sounds better in my opinion.

pieguy259
November 22nd, 2010, 11:29 PM
*Ketchup Dance* Aserejè, ja, de jè, de jebe tu de jebere seibi UNOVA majavi an de bugui an de buididipi...

But seriously, it's an interesting change. Will take some getting used to, of course, but I think I'll be fine with it come the release.

Azumi
November 22nd, 2010, 11:29 PM
Meh, I've gotten used to it already. But it's still kinda disappointing since I still love Isshu very much.

Yoshikachu
November 22nd, 2010, 11:41 PM
Personally, I don't see why they went off the 2 syllable word pattern.
Kan - to
Joh - to
Ho - enn
Sinn - oh
Issh - u

I don't mind it that much but I liked Isshu. It's nice on the ear, a euphonic sounding word, yet Unova sounds so brash. But,m Unova is closer to Untied States of America.

Also this;
UN - United Nations
Ov - of
A - America

How could it be United Nations of America??? America doesnt own the world u kno and Unova isnt america, it's based on new york, but it isnt america. like Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh aren't japan.

They renamed every region i think. Sinnoh was Shinou.

Azumi
November 22nd, 2010, 11:55 PM
How could it be United Nations of America??? America doesnt own the world u kno and Unova isnt america, it's based on new york, but it isnt america. like Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh aren't japan.

They renamed every region i think. Sinnoh was Shinou.

The headquarters of the United Nations is in New York.

You can't even call it renaming when it's just changing the syllables a little.

mervyn797
November 23rd, 2010, 06:50 AM
I don't like the name Unova a bit. Isshu was way better! Citizens of Isshu! We should revolt!

Roughsponge
November 23rd, 2010, 07:16 AM
I haven't played the japanese versions of B/W yet so the name change doesn't bother me too much... But I have to admit Unova just doesn't seem like a region name for pokemon.. although, that is kinda the point so I guess I quite like it :P

RYOUKI
November 23rd, 2010, 07:28 AM
*Ketchup Dance* Aserejè, ja, de jè, de jebe tu de jebere seibi UNOVA majavi an de bugui an de buididipi...

But seriously, it's an interesting change. Will take some getting used to, of course, but I think I'll be fine with it come the release.
Oh! I know that song. Ahahaha.

Anyways, I don't like Unova one bit. Unova makes me think of mythical and dragons, like land where magic exist. Isshu makes me think of new renovations and technology and such. Though I don't like it, I'd probably gonna get used to it. Same with all the other English name. Now, I just hope they DON'T change Iris's name.

DJ91990
November 23rd, 2010, 07:36 AM
UNOVA describes EXACTLY what ME and RESHIRAM will do to the region. KAH-BOOM!!!!! Hah hah hah!

All I know is; Gamefreak better NOT touch RESHIRAM or ZORUA's names!

Mew~
November 23rd, 2010, 07:40 AM
I was very suprised when I took a look on the BW site and saw tghe name change, usually it was always the same. Never the less, I actual quite like the name, it sounds... novaish? Considering a nova is supposed to be some sort of space explosion I bet they didn't think about it for very long...

tkallab
November 23rd, 2010, 07:45 AM
You can see that the people at Pokécommunity are the biggest Pokémon fans because they hate it the most when there's something new.

I think Unova's fine, just a bit cheesy. It's logical, the first four regions are based on Japan, so they have Japanese names, heck, Kanto's not even changed from the area it's based on. It's only logical that the area based on new york be named English-ish. The cheesy part is of course that it's a play of words, like the United States of America thing that was mentioned, the you're a star thingy and, most importantly, I don't know wether it was mentioned or not, the 'nova' part also meaning new.

Yes, new. I think it's the most important part of the name, because this s a completely new era of Pokémon. Including a new kind of region name. As fans, we shouldn't hate on new things just because they're different from the older stuff.

dragonite149
November 23rd, 2010, 07:47 AM
I think Isshu has gone Un Ova the top with the name change! I mean, I'd be happy with Issoh or Issho but Unova? One word. SRSLY?!?! (Or 'Seriously?!?!' for you grammar nazis out there)
Anyway, Unova sounds more technical than Isshu, and Isshu sounds more natural than Unova. So I'm gonna call it Isshu when playing White, the 'natural' game, and I'm gonna call it Unova in Black, the 'technical' game.

However, like someone stated, the 'U' can mean 'You', and the 'Nova' can mean star, so Unova can mean 'Youstar'. Implying that, when you're playing Pokemon Black and White, you're a star!

Also, as tkallab said, Unova sounds more USAish for a game based on New York.

Overall, I'm 50/50 on the new name. It sounds good and bad to me. But that's just my opinion!

AshPikastar
November 23rd, 2010, 07:47 AM
Unova doesn't sound that bad although I was hopping that they would keep the Isshu Region. I like both names I guess. I'm so use to the Isshu region though but I guess I'll get use to this name as well.

Forever
November 23rd, 2010, 07:56 AM
Anyway, Unova sounds more technical than Isshu, and Isshu sounds more natural than Unova. So I'm gonna call it Isshu when playing White, the 'natural' game, and I'm gonna call it Unova in Black, the 'technical' game.

Afaik, this hasn't been stated anywhere I've seen and it actually DOES make sense, although probably not why they chose the names, lol. Considering imma mainly play White, Isshu does match up. I just thought there was something wrong about Unova anddd that might be why. XD

Went
November 23rd, 2010, 08:03 AM
LOL at that meaning along with Isshu's "one variety" meaning. :cer_laugh: But couldn't they have used a corruption like Unueva? (uno and estrella nueva; the latter of which means nova in Spanish, from my research). I can't even see an origin for Teselia, and all the other localized names seem to have something implying one/1 or the letter U (possibly standing for United States of America, as Isshu/Unova is based on New York). So the Spanish name is the odd one out, despite Teselia sounding very pretty. I'm actually very surprised that the Spanish region name didn't even incorporate the term uno, as the Spanish name for "1" is, spelling-wise, a bit closer to the Latin name than the English name "one" is.

I don't know if it firts here, but a Tesela (English: Tessera) is each one of the coloured pieces that, put together, would create a mosaic. It could be a reference to the fact that it's a new piece in the pokémon world. In Greek, that word meant "4". I don't know what to make out of that but I must say that the name sounds much prettier indeed.

Sadly, it was unoUva XD

Yoshikachu
November 23rd, 2010, 08:06 AM
The headquarters of the United Nations is in New York.

You can't even call it renaming when it's just changing the syllables a little.
It may be there but that doesn't change the fact America doesn't own the world and you would find it strange if a place was called the United Nations of Australia for instance. And the United Nations is an organization not a country.
And Unova REALLY isnt America

Air Lock
November 23rd, 2010, 08:08 AM
UNOVA describes EXACTLY what ME and RESHIRAM will do to the region. KAH-BOOM!!!!! Hah hah hah!

All I know is; Gamefreak better NOT touch RESHIRAM or ZORUA's names!
I'll have to stop you with Zekrom. UNOVA = the aftermath of an epic battle.

But, it has been long confirmed that Reshiram = the same in the US.

Prometheus
November 23rd, 2010, 08:11 AM
I'd rather it be called Isshu.

Gymnotide
November 23rd, 2010, 08:14 AM
Wait, Isshu means "one variety," so Uno-va(riety) is just a terrible corruption. FML.

Rais
November 23rd, 2010, 08:20 AM
anyone notice that all of the previous regions had an "o" sound in them?
they may have changed it so that the name would keep that traditional "o" sound that it's predecessors had.

Sterling
November 23rd, 2010, 08:23 AM
The English name for Isshu is ok. I'm gonna have a hard time saying it, though, since I literally got used to saying (and misspelling, lol) "Isshu" since the beginning.

Oh, and Rais brought up a good point there. I guess they wanted all the regions to have O's in them. No wonder!

Prometheus
November 23rd, 2010, 08:36 AM
When I play I'll pretend its called Ishhu.

Air Lock
November 23rd, 2010, 08:39 AM
When I play I'll pretend its called Isshu.
Fix'd for NO REASON!

I don't care...Unova, like Gymnotide (sp?) said, is a HORRIBLE corruption of Isshu.

Guy
November 23rd, 2010, 10:01 AM
Unova isn't a horrible name for the region. Personally, Isshu just rolls off the tongue a lot easier, and I'm used to regarding the new region as that. It won't take long to adjust though. It may not be the best region name, but it's not terrible either.

I like that it has multiple meanings to it, and it's not only the English copies getting a whole conversion from Isshu. To me, that's what caught me by surprise the most. The fact that they made a whole turn around from Isshu to Unova wasn't all expected.

Makes me curious though. If Unova was created by compiling more than one word together, and they did the same with the starters. I wonder if more of the translations in names will be words put together, than something all original. I know they've done this before in the past, but it seems to occur to me that they're doing it more so now.

Are they really running out of ideas? :x

bwburke94
November 23rd, 2010, 10:08 AM
As I mentioned in my first post, the region is apparently getting different names in every language. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it's handled in Canada and PAL regions due to the multiple languages used there. By the way, "no va" is Spanish for "doesn't go" so a change was fairly obvious there... but why use a third name? (NO WYNAUT PUNS PLEASE! THIS IS A RHETORICAL QUESTION!)

Sabrewulf238
November 23rd, 2010, 10:11 AM
Unova makes me think of Elves and woodlands....

Bluerang1
November 23rd, 2010, 10:30 AM
I prefer saying Isshu, more importantly Isshu chi o (or however you say it). Unova is awkward. But since it's based on the United States as a whole as opposed to just New York though the map shape says otherwise, I like it. Move over Isshu :cer_cry: Hello Unova :|

November 23rd, 2010, 10:34 AM
I have already forgot that it's called Isshu, I'm calling it Unova from now on :)

bwburke94
November 23rd, 2010, 10:43 AM
I wonder how Orre fits into all of this...

November 23rd, 2010, 10:45 AM
I wonder how Orre fits into all of this...
What do you mean? Because it's based on Arizona?
I wonder what Huin city will be called...Maybe something with an N and Y...like Novay...

RockmanEXE
November 23rd, 2010, 10:56 AM
I actually prefer Unova to Isshu.

November 23rd, 2010, 11:10 AM
I actually prefer Unova to Isshu.
Me too but most seem to complain about it's new name ehh I guess we all have different opinions
I wonder what the home town will be called...it's always a plant related name except for Pallet which was a color...
We have had Newbark, Littleroot, Twinleaf, so maybe it's related to the Stem like Littlestem...nah that doesn't work...Newrose, New(insert flower here)

Ynfiniti8
November 23rd, 2010, 11:32 AM
"Oh no! I don't like the name so I'll let it ruin my opinion of the games!" or in other words, "Oh no, change!"
Seriously? A little bit of change won't ruin your experience of the game, don't act like it's the end of the world.

If you don't like it, don't use it.

Esper
November 23rd, 2010, 11:39 AM
I like that they tried to give it a name that could have multiple interpretations, similar to how Isshu can mean a couple of different things, but I just don't like the sound of Unova. I also expect that if I hear it pronounced I'm going to hear "you-know-va" and that sounds worse to me than the way I imagine it's said, "oo-no-va".

November 23rd, 2010, 11:42 AM
I imagine it said either Une-know-va
or You-Know-va but either sounds good to me :)

Amore
November 23rd, 2010, 11:46 AM
I bet you all objected to "Shinou" or whatever it was being changed to "Sinnoh"....

My point is, we'll get used to it...I like as now I won't know what the region's called if I avoid this section....adds a newness when I don't know the whole storyline already :D

Dillon_68
November 23rd, 2010, 01:43 PM
I LOVVVVVVE Unova over Isshu. Unova sounds cooler, reminds me of nova, and it represents my country (USA)!

bobandbill
November 23rd, 2010, 02:21 PM
I wonder how Orre fits into all of this...Although Orre is supposedly based off of Arizona, I don't think it'd get necessarily even get a mention in B&W as it's a region made by a different company (Genius Sonority) as opposed to Game Freak.

Headfirst For Halos
November 23rd, 2010, 02:37 PM
Fandoms are a funny thing. When change comes around, fans say RUINED FOREVER! Then watch when everyone chills out about it when Black and White comes out. /end rant

I personally like the name. Unova reminds me of "supernova", which is pretty cool yes scary.

Trap-Eds
November 23rd, 2010, 08:01 PM
I'll admit, when I first heard that "Isshu" was going to be renamed "Unova", I didn't like it. I'm not too fond of the starter's names either: Tepig, Snivy, Oshawott? Whaaaat?? Those names just don't sound quite right...like gibberish or something. :cer_confused: But after reading the name "Unova"' several times, I think it's grown on me. xD

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
November 23rd, 2010, 08:26 PM
*Car fanatic speaking*

Pronounce it a certain way and it reminds me of the Chevy Nova (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Nova). Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, considering how there have been very few car references in Pokemon games to date.

Astinus
November 23rd, 2010, 08:51 PM
Unova reminds me of something medical-related that I really can't bring up here on PC.

When I first heard the name last night, I didn't really like it. Then again, B/W are the first games that I followed since the beginning, so I'm so used to the Japanese names. Hearing the English names kind of threw me off a bit at first.

I'm getting used to it now. It just comes with time for the new names to sound normal. I'm sure once the English games are released, at least I will be using these new names with ease.

Volroc
November 23rd, 2010, 09:15 PM
If you mean letter wise not really as Hoenn(H) and Johto (J) which come before Kanto (K)
I not then what do you mean?

its not letter wise, its name wise Isshu is simple natural, & has a ton of puns involved with it lol

Unova... its got nova, which is a large star about to,or has exploded at the end of its life, which is basically saying its supposed to be better& on top, which frankly the graphics are awful, the overworld camera is absolutely awful in places like Sky Arrow Bridge, & Huinn City, not to mention, the games are awfully pixelated for a DS game,not to mention the back sprites are absolutely horrible.
it looks worse than Heartgold&Soulsilver, the battle& pokemon improvements are the only good thing about Black&White (come fan boy&girls flame me, i welcome your blindness)
Nova is big, bright, explosive, most things with nova are amazing, exc. but Black&White graphically are a HUGE disappointment compared to Heartgold&Soulsilver.
on a gameplay note, its fontastic, which out weighs the horrible graphics i guess, but the 3rd version we will get in 1-3years has ALOT of graphical improvements to be made.

Isshu fits the region, its simplistic but still fontastic
Unova doesnt fit, its trying too hard to emphasize on 1 place, Huinn City, which is the only "spectacular" part of Isshu, i personally found everywhere EXCEPT Huinn City brilliant, the camera in Huinn just pisses me off.

same here, except i dunno if im jap or not :P
but i am studing the language :D

November 24th, 2010, 12:00 AM
its not letter wise, its name wise Isshu is simple natural, & has a ton of puns involved with it lol

Unova... its got nova, which is a large star about to,or has exploded at the end of its life, which is basically saying its supposed to be better& on top, which frankly the graphics are awful, the overworld camera is absolutely awful in places like Sky Arrow Bridge, & Huinn City, not to mention, the games are awfully pixelated for a DS game,not to mention the back sprites are absolutely horrible.
it looks worse than Heartgold&Soulsilver, the battle& pokemon improvements are the only good thing about Black&White (come fan boy&girls flame me, i welcome your blindness)
Nova is big, bright, explosive, most things with nova are amazing, exc. but Black&White graphically are a HUGE disappointment compared to Heartgold&Soulsilver.
on a gameplay note, its fontastic, which out weighs the horrible graphics i guess, but the 3rd version we will get in 1-3years has ALOT of graphical improvements to be made.

Isshu fits the region, its simplistic but still fontastic
Unova doesnt fit, its trying too hard to emphasize on 1 place, Huinn City, which is the only "spectacular" part of Isshu, i personally found everywhere EXCEPT Huinn City brilliant, the camera in Huinn just pisses me off.

same here, except i dunno if im jap or not :P
but i am studing the language :D
Well Unova also has lots of puns like You Nova (you are a super star...) etc.

Volroc
November 24th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Well Unova also has lots of puns like You Nova (you are a super star...) etc.

lol only youd pull that off mate :P

November 24th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Lol well it can also mean Un- which sounds like the french word for one, together with Nova meaning One Nova, like I said before referencing to the powers of the Legendary mascots that ruled Isshu (Reshiram and Zekrom :) )

vaporeon7
November 24th, 2010, 12:46 AM
They should have kept the name Isshu. I mean they could have used Unova for a Pokemon Ranger game. It would suit it more.

Yuoaman
November 24th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Nova means new. And since Unova is in an entirely new part of the world the name makes a lot of sense.

Forever
November 24th, 2010, 12:59 AM
They should have kept the name Isshu. I mean they could have used Unova for a Pokemon Ranger game. It would suit it more.

I agree, actually. Considering what I remember from the one Ranger game I do own, it does sound like it would be more suited to those games, good... observation? XD I guess the sound of it doesn't really suit the main games, but the meaning behind it does, oh well.

King Gumball
November 24th, 2010, 01:19 AM
I agree, actually. Considering what I remember from the one Ranger game I do own, it does sound like it would be more suited to those games, good... observation? XD I guess the sound of it doesn't really suit the main games, but the meaning behind it does, oh well.

It sounds like some detergent brand XD

I am sad it changed, no matter how much sense it made. We shall get used to it, but... Isshu sounded so good ;_;

*Minun*
November 24th, 2010, 01:34 AM
I like Unova actually.

I think it sounds better than Isshu. Snivy, though? That was dissapointing.

Haza
November 24th, 2010, 01:38 AM
I like Unova, it sounds sophisticated... lol

Logiedan
November 24th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Now because of Yuoa, I think it fits good as well. I still prefer Isshu though but on technical terms, I don't mind it being Unova.

I also agree with Vaporeon, Unova sounds way more fitting for a region in the Pokémon Ranger series.

Shiny Gardevoir
November 24th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Honestly, Unova is ok for me... Though it makes me think of a reproductive organ...

Maybe they changed Isshu because

Isshu = Issue

November 24th, 2010, 09:22 AM
I like Unova, it sounds sophisticated... lol
It does sound sophisticated :)
I can see people are beginning to warm up to the name after all the hate it got :)

King Gumball
November 24th, 2010, 12:35 PM
I think the main reason the changed the name, is because they changed the continent in the pokemon world, so they would speak another language. The people from Sinnoh, Kanto etc. Probably call it Isshu in the pokemon world as they would speak another language.

WarpstarX
November 24th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Overall I like the starters name.....

but Unova is just really odd. There was nothing wrong with Isshu (and that's not just shock talking) I honestly love Isshu more.

I think it might call the region Isshu anyway....unless I learn to adapt to Unova.

Is Unova pronounced like "You-nova"? Because that's the only way I'll ever adapt to it is if it's pronounced like that.

Pronounced Like uno (derived from unum meaning one) And nova (derived from novus meaning new.)

November 24th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I think the main reason the changed the name, is because they changed the continent in the pokemon world, so they would speak another language. The people from Sinnoh, Kanto etc. Probably call it Isshu in the pokemon world as they would speak another language.
They always change the name a bit each gen Sinnoh for example was Shino or something like that.

SSJ4 Furanki
November 24th, 2010, 01:46 PM
They always change the name a bit each gen Sinnoh for example was Shino or something like that.It's not really a change. Shinou can be romanized as Sinnoh. Well, for the most part. They added a second "n" in but, it's the only real change in there.

シンオウ

シ = Shi (Can be romanized as Si)
ン = n
オ = o
ウ = u/h

Actually, there's a bunch of ways you could romanize Shinou.

Shinoh, Sinou, Shino, Sinoh, Sino, etc.

Plus, in most cases they just ignore the "u" when romanizing.

Most people automatically assume the Japanese has to be completely literal when romanized when that isn't the case.

Except for Zorua, since there was NO "U" in the name AT ALL. Zoroa, is it.

ゾロア

ゾ = Zo
ロ = ro
ア = a

Same with Zoroa:

Zorroa, Zoloa; are also acceptable romanizations for Zoroa.

DeeJay
November 24th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Now, I don't know my Kanji (at all), but I find it interesting how different the English name is...Haven't all of the other regions at least sounded phonetically similar to the original Japanese? I saw your discussion about Sinnoh.

SSJ4 Furanki
November 24th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Now, I don't know my Kanji (at all), but I find it interesting how different the English name is...Haven't all of the other regions at least sounded phonetically similar to the original Japanese? I saw your discussion about Sinnoh.Yeah, Isshu's the first (Main Game) region to actually get full on renamed.

Kanto/Johto are literal romanizations since you can ignore the u/h.
Hoenn is on the same area as Sinnoh. It's the same name as the Japanese; but, the spelling has been altered to make it look less awkward. Houen and Sinoh would look a bit awkward when you look at how they handled Johto and Kanto.

But, it's all up to interpretation.

Unova isn't a bad name, and appears to have multiple meanings. But, I just saw it as Uno (one) and Va(riety). Which is what Isshu is apparently supposed to mean.

But, it's just weird now of all times to start full-on renaming Regions (for the main series). That's the only problem I have with this. And on top of that, now we have to deal with 6 different names for one region: Isshu (Japanese), Unova (English), Unys (French), Einall (German), Teselia (Spanish), Unima (Italian).

silverblock
November 24th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Truthfully, I think it'll be like Mijumaru. Everyone thought it was horrible at first, but it really isn't that bad! Actually it sounds much more "spacey" and experimental than Isshu to me.

Aera
November 24th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I think it's fine, but I still prefer Isshu... but hey, we'll get used to this, right?

Austy
November 24th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Hmm... I don't really mind Unova; I suppose they felt people would have an issue over the pun of Ishuu... like sales would flop, becasue the region was an "ishuu." I preferred Ishhu, but Unova has a cool ring to it. You know, va! Eh... not as good puns.

XenoKarp
November 25th, 2010, 01:43 AM
I'm all for a bit more convenience. I really like the new Unova name because I can think of the meaning better. Name origins are a huge deal for me, and I like how they're putting in a bit more creativity into naming the region rather than just going after some place that already exists in reality.

It always did confuse me how Lt. Surge talks about America. But hey, it's America.

Speaking of America the whole
UN
ov
A
makes me smile inside.
[/proud american]

And sometimes even if I find something that doesn't sparkle with me very well at first, I try to force myself to like it early on, so I'm not "trying to get used to it" until way later. I like just living with what GameFreak's putting out there. I also believe most people aren't looking into some further details that may explain some of these things, as in, they're just forming their opinions by how something sounds. Like the whole "Snivy"-hate going on. Isn't Tsutarja just exactly what they did for Snivy? Take the japanese variation of ivy and snake put together? But anyway, the point is there may be deeper reasons to why GameFreak does things; I'm not really surprised in the change of patterns anymore. I mean Team Plasma... Like someone mentioned earlier in the thread.

#Emochu
November 25th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Unova reminds me ALOT of Bionicle.

Unova reminds me of Hoenn, it sounded futuristic and next gen.

Sinnoh, Kanto, and Johto all sound old and legendary.

Zeph.
November 25th, 2010, 11:05 AM
It's just a name, no big deal.

Besides, at least they've kept to the tradition of having an 'o' sound in the region names :D

Kanto
Johto
Hoenn
Sinnoh
Unova

Meduza
November 25th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Does anyoner notice Unova is the first region to have more than 2 vowels?

Kanto
Johto
Hoenn
Sinnoh
Unova

InappropriateGoat
November 25th, 2010, 11:22 AM
I like the name, but it sounds more like a name for a Pokémon Ranger region to me :P
I'm glad they stuck with having an 'oh' sound in each region name ^_^

Nohr
November 25th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Thank the gods! I thought Isshu sounded extremely ridiculous, and there is WAY too many puns and jokes easily made about it.

Want a Tissue for your isshu?

I think Unova is an infinitely better name, ESPECIALLY for a location that's meant to be far away, and NOT japanese, for once.

Just like the starter names, I'm 100% relieved and pleased.

Hiroshi Sotomura
November 25th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Truthfully, I think it'll be like Mijumaru. Everyone thought it was horrible at first, but it really isn't that bad! Actually it sounds much more "spacey" and experimental than Isshu to me.

You could think about it another way: what if you never knew the Japanese names to begin with? Perhaps people be better off rather than be stuck moping about a name they never understood (let alone played the game where said place was featured with said name).

I play my Pokémon games in Japanese (and understand some of it to boot), so I'm "stuck" with the Japanese names. There's… not many people with that same excuse, since in their case they've just spent too much time on the internet.

Air Pichu
November 25th, 2010, 05:21 PM
In my opinion, this region name is...... well, bad. Isshu sounds more suitable for this region. Unova sounds more like a girl's name than the name of a high-tech, faraway region inhabited with all sorts of Pokemon.

femtrooper
November 25th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Yeah, that's really lame. Isshu was alot better, but what can ya do?

Unova it is! Unova sounds like a reproductive organ, lol. Isshu wins.

Sollux Captor
November 25th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I, for one, don't mind the change.

Then again though, little things like names don't bother me. Unless they're utterly ridiculous.

Monark360
November 26th, 2010, 02:56 AM
I actually prefer Unova. Isshu seemed to use the same naming conventions as the other regions, yet it's suppose to be so far away. This just makes more sense to me. Now, Oshawott on the other hand...

XenoKarp
November 26th, 2010, 08:43 PM
You could think about it another way: what if you never knew the Japanese names to begin with? Perhaps people be better off rather than be stuck moping about a name they never understood (let alone played the game where said place was featured with said name).

Sort of like an 'ignorance is bliss' kind of deal? I definitely would say it would be better off like that.
(What's ironic about calling it 'ignorance is bliss' is that, like you said, there are people moping about a name they never understood in the first place).

But irl, when I see the new information, I just don't allow myself to be attached to the names, especially when I don't understand them. I do like looking up the meanings though, but I stay away from being attached to "how it sounds to me".

Unfortunately, even being of Japanese descent, I do not know the language fluently; Parents can speak it, but learning the language in America wasn't a high priority (hopefully I will be able to take classes in college though).

XBA
November 26th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I like the name change.

Unova is sounds more catchy to me.

And the posts above explain most of the other stuff.

ConPO
November 27th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I read about this yesterday and I must say I am dissappointed. I liked Isshu... it was a good name... I think it sounds like a region name. Unova sounds like a plasma screen TV brand or a new kind of electric toothbrush.

Isshu had a very very Pokemonish feel to it, and Unova sounds like a creepy product being pushed in my face....

Karel_Kazuki
November 27th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I think its a culmination of things.
THe New/star type thing was one of them.And they also probably didnt want to eliminate the O sounds from all the region names,which Isshu did, which their probably gonna make a banner witha Pokeball for an O just to show creativity.But really I dont mind the name,i will interchange them both.THe English naes are always expected to change however.

Andrew McKenzie
November 27th, 2010, 10:56 PM
UNovA

United Nations ov America.
Did no one else see this apart from me and the guy on the first page?
But personally, I don't mind the name change in the slightest.

Wallace Berlitz
November 27th, 2010, 11:19 PM
I'm completely fine with Unova... It's just Isshu is better in my opinion. But what's the big deal? Since Unova is faraway from the other 3 regions, it can has its own name style. If "Isshu" located near Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh, I think Nintendo won't change the name style, aite?

vava18
November 28th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Unova is kind good name, but we are already using Isshu name that we could forget so fast , but i like the name

Pingouin_7
November 28th, 2010, 04:55 PM
For some reason, whenever I play this game I get the feeling I'm playing Pokémon Ranger.
Now, with Unova being the region name, it makes it a lot more Pokémon Ranger-ish.

Meduza
November 28th, 2010, 04:58 PM
For some reason, whenever I play this game I get the feeling I'm playing Pokémon Ranger.
Now, with Unova being the region name, it makes it a lot more Pokémon Ranger-ish.

Strangely enough, me too.

Sounds like Almia or Fiore.

Isshu sounds better. :P

The Red Chain
November 29th, 2010, 07:26 AM
B'aww, I'm gonna miss replacing issue with Isshu. Puns are always fun~
I'm really not sure if this has been noted yet but Nintendo has redeemed their cleverness in my mind.
Especially after those less-than-satisfactory names they made for the starters.

United {Un} States of {ov} America {a}

I loved it the moment I saw this. <3
At first I didn't exactly like the name, but it caught on fairly quick.
Now.. to figure out how to adapt to the English starter names in the same fashion. :D;

Destiny
December 4th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Unova anyone?
I kind of like it.
Isshu was a so much better name though.

Kaori
December 4th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Like I do with quite a bit of things, I've gotten adjusted to Unova as the new name. To be honest, it fits what the region is based off of (New York) more than Isshu. I never really knew what relations Isshu had to do with New York, but I'm glad this name will suit the description better. Besides I never really thought Unova was a turn down from Isshu; it was just the effect from being so used to Isshu that I was a bit weirded out with the change.

Perrie ✿
December 4th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Posted here before?:/

I hate the name, hate it, hate it, hate it! >O

Someone was discussing the "Unova" name, and I spend about 10 minutes trying to think what it could be .___. Until I remembered it's the American name for Isshu. It sounds so weird. :o Like Tepig and Oshawott (SP?) I won't get used to the name.

MurasakiYugata
December 4th, 2010, 06:28 AM
The main problem I have with the name change is that I still don't know how to pronounce Unova. Is it OO-noh-vuh? oo-NOH-vuh? YOO-noh-vuh? yoo-NOH-vuh? I tend to think of it as OO-noh-vuh, but I'm not sure....

Waffle-San
December 5th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I actually like it. The play on US of A is kind of, well, awesome! I'm going to miss alot of the japanese Pokemon names though...well the ones I can pronounce. :P

Vyro
December 6th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Who cares? It's just a name.

Pokeplup
December 9th, 2010, 04:59 AM
[S-HIGHLIGHT] Apparantly... I did not like the name
The Turtle does not like the name, I preffered Isshu,[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
[S-HIGHLIGHT]No really, I just don't like the name, I also would have...
Like better names, Im not really the one who would name
Pokemon:Snivy, Tepig, And lastly but not worst, Oshawott,
Alright, You get that Im formating my text in the form of...[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

A ship, Yea... I Just felt like it,

Zebeedoo
December 9th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I really liked Isshu; I loved the puns everyone made out of it. Though, Unova is a pretty cool name itself, the word "nova" reminds me of stars though, idk why. XD; Happy to say I've gotten used it though. [:

Twiggy
December 11th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Unova? Wow, that sure sounds exotic (enough) for me. Also, extra points for thinking up of a region name. I guess sometimes, name changes are inevitable, though? But it might work out better than if the name wasn't changed.

Bluerang1
December 11th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I think Unova will have it's own Johto. Why? Gen 6 can't have another fresh batch of Pokemon with their own eco-system, so they'll have to incorporate Pokemon from another region. Seeing as Unova is a rebirth for Pokemon, I doubt that Gen 6 will harbor some Pokemon from from Gen 1 - 4, meaning that they'll have some Unova Pokemon. So this future region can either be an extension, like Johto was to Kanto, our just be on the same piece of land/country as Unova was :)

Dillon_68
December 11th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I think Unova will have it's own Johto. Why? Gen 6 can't have another fresh batch of Pokemon with their own eco-system, so they'll have to incorporate Pokemon from another region. Seeing as Unova is a rebirth for Pokemon, I doubt that Gen 6 will harbor some Pokemon from from Gen 1 - 4, meaning that they'll have some Unova Pokemon. So this future region can either be an extension, like Johto was to Kanto, our just be on the same piece of land/country as Unova was :)
I thought the same thing! I would like to see them to this, hopefully they will choose another state to base it off of. *crosses fingers for NC*

zoo3891
December 11th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I don't really like this name, it makes Isshu/Unova sound like a land of floating castles, and Mages. But i guess it fits the theme (sort of...)

Toshiro.
December 11th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Isshu was so much better than Unova :( It sounded better along with the other region names.

-ty-
December 12th, 2010, 12:02 AM
This has been the first time that I played the new version of a pokemon game before it was released; now that I have become accustomed to the region name, starters names, and everything else that was meant for the Japenese version, it's very hard to get used to all of the new names. It doesn't feel the same...for now anyways.

shinyabsol1
December 17th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Does it really matter what the name of the region is? Isshu, Unova--- it's all the same to me...as long as the game is fun (which it is!) I'm cool with it.

PokePro3
December 17th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Well i guess i could nickname my pokemon isshu instead it's still an interesting name

Glaciezxstar
December 19th, 2010, 11:21 AM
For some reason, the name "Unova" reminds me of Pokemon Ranger. o_O

Well, I don't really like the new name but I'm getting used to it, I think.
Isshu > Unova. IMO.

December 19th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Does it really matter what the name of the region is? Isshu, Unova--- it's all the same to me...as long as the game is fun (which it is!) I'm cool with it.
I agree with you it's the game and the type of Pokemon that matter not the name. Besides you don't see the region's name as much in most Pokemon games.

solarowl
December 20th, 2010, 12:43 AM
I don't mind the name of the region that much because it won't be used often. However, If I focus on just the name, its not terrible but I think it just goes less along with the names of other regions than Isshu.

machomuu
December 20th, 2010, 11:49 PM
I definitely have an Isshu with this...
...Sorry...

Sverige
December 23rd, 2010, 03:36 PM
Unova? How do you even pronounce that?

I prefer Isshu by miles!

Forever
December 23rd, 2010, 05:09 PM
Unova? How do you even pronounce that?

I prefer Isshu by miles!

I pronounce it as U-nova, which I think is how most people are (or how it's meant to be anyway).

Sverige
December 23rd, 2010, 05:41 PM
I pronounce it as U-nova, which I think is how most people are (or how it's meant to be anyway).

as in you-nova or oo-nova?

Forever
December 23rd, 2010, 06:24 PM
as in you-nova or oo-nova?

You-nova. :)

Oo-Nova just makes it sound more like a Ranger game.

infernaperoxx
December 24th, 2010, 01:15 AM
stupidest region name ever! isshu was a cool name

Sverige
December 24th, 2010, 02:10 AM
stupidest region name ever! nintendo should die for changing the name to unova. isshu was a cool name

Have you got an Isshu with it?

King Gumball
December 24th, 2010, 03:49 AM
^lol^

I pronounce it You-No-Va as well.

also random but, I just realized that Hoenn was a completely new start [except for Azurill and Wynutt] just like Unova, so do you think this will start a trend, every three regions they start off new?
Oops, counted wrong. I think I need to go to bed now >.>

Or is that too off topic?

Kanto_Johto
December 27th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Have you got an Isshu with it?I personally don't have an Isshu with it, I just think that Game Freak are retarded for making Un-ova pointless change to the games.

Sverige
December 27th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I personally don't have an Isshu with it, I just think that Game Freak are retarded for making Un-ova pointless change to the games.

Well there's nothing you Kanto about it. (This one might be harder to understand)

I pronounce it You-No-Va as well.

also random but, I just realized that Hoenn was a completely new start [except for Azurill and Wynutt] just like Unova, so do you think this will start a trend, every three regions they start off new?
Oops, counted wrong. I think I need to go to bed now >.>

Or is that too off topic?

Pardon?

theowlmanlives
February 8th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Isshu has a better sound to it than Unova.... it just does they should have left it

GlitchCity
February 8th, 2011, 06:06 PM
If you have an Isshu, then here's a tissue! :D I found the humor in Isshu. But I like Unova better. The "Nova" part gives the epicness of Unova. I might name my pet fish that 8D

February 8th, 2011, 06:09 PM
I like saying Unova more than Isshu now...Plus it makes sense as it comes from the word United as in United States of America.

Forever
February 8th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Isshu has a better sound to it than Unova.... it just does they should have left it

Please don't revive dead threads.

http://i51.tinypic.com/24mrgva.png