PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] Logos A No-Go?

fenyx4
November 22nd, 2010, 08:11 PM
I browsed for a thread referencing them, but I haven't seen any discussion of them. Anyway, the English logos for Pokemon Black and White Versions have been unveiled! I first saw them on www.pokemon.com (http://www.pokecommunity.com/www.pokemon.com) in the flash animation of the the reveal of the English names of the Isshu Unova starter Pokemon. For comparison...

Japanese BW logos:
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/5/5c/Black_and_WhiteTitle.png

English BW Logos:
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/5/5c/English_BW_logo.png

So, your opinions? I like the alternating black-and-white coloration that was preserved from the Japanese logos, but I partially dislike the font. "Black" looks like it was written very well in an awesome way, but it looks like the White Version logo got harshly kicked in the side, with the "E" of white desperately trying to copy the "K" of black in a very odd manner. :cer_no:

In both logos, the font looks terrible when used to write out the word Version. Some of the letters just look...janky. I would've preferred the bubbly logo introduced with RSE and maintained in DPPt, or the awesome Bank Gothic font used with HGSS (which, despite its overuse, ups the coolness of anything by 100%).

So, do you like the English BW logos? Discuss! :)

ManhattanTheStarr
November 22nd, 2010, 08:15 PM
Hm, I thought I was the only one who cared... x3
In my opinion, these logos are TERRIBLE compared to the Japanese ones. The hideous yellow and blue colors of the 'Pokemon' in the logo stands out too much, and the way they have 'Black' and 'White' looks kinda... robotic. Y'know what I mean? =/

Team Fail
November 22nd, 2010, 08:17 PM
I like them a lot. They fit the theme of the games, and I hope to see them in a translation patch.

Forever
November 22nd, 2010, 08:18 PM

I never saw these. ;;
Oh God, they look terrible, seriously.

The black that's meant to be in the two logos surrounding or inside of "black" and "white", looks... terrible. D; I would've liked it if they kept the Japanese logos and just put English text on them >____>; The font looks bad too, but meh.

King Gumball
November 22nd, 2010, 09:17 PM
I actually disagree. I like them better than the Japanese ones. I thought the Japanese ones were a little shabby, or messy and unnecessarily large. Whereas the English ones are nice and 'modern day' and very neat and well placed. Though I do think the colouring could have been a little better.

femtrooper
November 22nd, 2010, 09:22 PM
Honestly, they look like crap compared to the Japanese logos. Oh well, the Japanese stuff is always more epic.

SSJ4 Furanki
November 22nd, 2010, 09:25 PM
I kinda wish they'd adapt the logo more. Keep the same logo in English just, jazz it up a bit. The Black and White version logos themselves look nice, but the same generic Yellow/Blue coloring could be done away with. I don't like to point my signature. But, something like that. Where the Pokémon logo itself has some slight alterations and keep the same Black/White font that's on the current logos.

TJgamer
November 22nd, 2010, 09:28 PM
I think they're perfectly good.
Who wouldn't like them?

AshPikastar
November 22nd, 2010, 09:31 PM
I like how the Japanese version has the Pokeball in the logo while the English just kept the original Pokemon logo name and just added "Black" or "White" underneath. It just seems like the Japanese design has a better design then the English. The English made it look a bit boring.

King Gumball
November 22nd, 2010, 09:31 PM
Black and White are too boring colours, so that could be a factor as to why they designed the logos how they did. The Japanese designs dont really suit the names IMO.

Glaciezxstar
November 22nd, 2010, 09:33 PM
The 'Pokemon' in the logo ruined everything.. >_>;

They don't fit in.. at all.

Enigma
November 22nd, 2010, 09:34 PM
They look really bad. The yellow and blue Pokemon logo with the 'Black Version' and 'White Version' text together look terrible. The font isn't that great either, but could have been excusable if the colors would have blended together better.
Somehow, I was expecting this. However, it's not the logo that matters to me, it's the game itself. :3

Latios Master
November 22nd, 2010, 10:07 PM
I really like them. I don't like the angle on the "I" though.

Hiroshi Sotomura
November 22nd, 2010, 10:42 PM
The only part I hate about the logo?
http://img.skitch.com/20101123-rdugtxb7q2rq929ya2up6jetme.png

Brand recognition? It's a valid reason, yes. But to me, it means "this brand makes fugly logos". :D

I also hate this.
http://img.skitch.com/20101123-ecge9j6xwhpk5c14abbpb1ip1.png
Just, why?

Ninja Caterpie
November 22nd, 2010, 10:48 PM
I really dislike their keeping of the normal Pokemon logo. It just looks terrible with the shiny new Black/White font.

Sabrewulf238
November 22nd, 2010, 10:59 PM
No I don't like them, it seems like the japanese always get nice classy logos and we get the bog standard yellow one that's been around forever. :/

It also seems lazy, like they didn't bother and just slapped on the old reliable...

TJgamer
November 22nd, 2010, 11:32 PM
No I don't like them, it seems like the japanese always get nice classy logos and we get the bog standard yellow one that's been around forever. :/

It also seems lazy, like they didn't bother and just slapped on the old reliable...

I will admit it is a bit lazy. Mostly for the original blue and yellow style.
It's still acceptable in my opinion.

Azumi
November 22nd, 2010, 11:47 PM
The only big problem I really have for the logo is
this thing.

Just... why? The localization team could've really put much more effort on making this match the spiffy words below! It's not hard at all!

Anna
November 23rd, 2010, 12:03 AM
I just... do not like. It could've been so much cooler & more stylish. The "Version" part is unnecessary and the giant yellow&blue "Pokemon" just puts me off. It does not flow. :/

Ravecat
November 23rd, 2010, 12:14 AM
I'm fine with the original Pokémon logo being included. I like it when things match.

Logiedan
November 23rd, 2010, 12:15 AM
It's true. The original Pokémon logo doesn't really fit in with the style of the version name and logo. I might as well change the whole thing completely rather than keeping that logo.

Mew~
November 23rd, 2010, 07:43 AM
Honestly, most of you people just dislike things for the sake of it...

I quite like the logo's at least they arn't the same as all the other games with the boring font (Although HG/SS had different logo's too) I like the pattern highlights around the words too. Very simple but effecting ={P

bwburke94
November 23rd, 2010, 10:20 AM
Considering this is just the design used since R/S with a font change, I'm indifferent.

Bluerang1
November 23rd, 2010, 10:24 AM
I don't like t. Though it was expected, I think someone on PC did an English logo version and it looks exactly if not better than this. Anyway, it fits in with he "simplistic" theme, and it's what's inside that counts right? ;) Also, I hope they don't change the cover design.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
November 23rd, 2010, 10:24 AM
Hm, I thought I was the only one who cared... x3
In my opinion, these logos are TERRIBLE compared to the Japanese ones. The hideous yellow and blue colors of the 'Pokemon' in the logo stands out too much, and the way they have 'Black' and 'White' looks kinda... robotic. Y'know what I mean? =/
The Japanese logos of every Pokemon game always look better than our logos...
I like the Black and white logos but not as much as I like their Japanese counterparts :(

dragon0fangz
November 23rd, 2010, 10:25 AM
NO.

they ruined it. FOREVER!

It looked awesome in japanese. Do they really have to change it?

Dillon_68
November 23rd, 2010, 10:27 AM
Wow, there are actually people who dislike the logo of all things....

November 23rd, 2010, 10:30 AM
Wow, there are actually people who dislike the logo of all things....
Yeah some of these posters are over exaggerated, these logos are actually better than some of the other English logos we have had in past games now that I think about it :)
Also White's logo isn't that bad, I like that they kept the sleekness of the Japanese ones :)

RockmanEXE
November 23rd, 2010, 11:00 AM
They really should have just edited the Japanese logos. The English ones are horrible because the original "Pokemon" lettering does not fit in with the version name text.

Bleck.

Porygon Z
November 23rd, 2010, 11:03 AM
Way better the Japanese ones.

yuki1406
November 23rd, 2010, 11:06 AM
I see a contradiction in those logos. In this version they were trying to innovate so much, they even renamed the Region. Then they give us the original Pokémon logos???

Really, they could have changed at least the design colors to fit B&W...

November 23rd, 2010, 11:15 AM
I see a contradiction in those logos. In this version they were trying to innovate so much, they even renamed the Region. Then they give us the original Pokémon logos???

Really, they could have changed at least the design colors to fit B&W...
They should have changed them it would have made the look better but eh we have had the " POKéMON" logo always be Blue and Yellow but then again another reason to change it...

King Gumball
November 23rd, 2010, 12:44 PM
Yeah some of these posters are over exaggerated, these logos are actually better than some of the other English logos we have had in past games now that I think about it :)
Also White's logo isn't that bad, I like that they kept the sleekness of the Japanese ones :)

Yeah I know. I am like the only person here that thinks they suit the title 'black and white' a lot better than the Japanese ones did ;____;

Blue Nocturne
November 23rd, 2010, 12:47 PM
I like the Pokemon Black Logo, it suits the modern feel that Pokemon Black represents. However, I'm disappointed that the Pokemon White Logo is the same. I would have liked it to be more flowing and curvy to reflect the natural theme that Pokemon White represents. As for keeping the original pokemon logo, it's not something that bothers me too much, but they could have at least made them black and white.

HaloSonic
November 23rd, 2010, 12:55 PM
*sigh* the English logos really look bowlderdized.

PlatinumDude
November 23rd, 2010, 04:39 PM
I like the English B/W logos. They're an improvement over the logos of D/P/Pt.

Meduza
November 23rd, 2010, 04:47 PM
They look very fan-made, like something from a hack or something.

The HeartGold and SoulSilver logos look better than this.

GlitchCity
November 23rd, 2010, 05:10 PM
They're O.K., but I felt that they could've done better with them. I always wondered why America never picks up on the bubbly logos from japan, copyright stuff? Ughh, maybe I need to work for Gamefreak USA

Kevin
November 23rd, 2010, 05:42 PM
The logos sure are... different. The font they put it in doesn't look good at all, in my opinion. And anyways it doesn't fit in with the original Pokemon logo... But I don't think the logo matters much. :P

Nice poll questions, by the way. xD

twistedpuppy
November 23rd, 2010, 05:51 PM
Japan's logos are always snazier compared to ours. For some reason the new logos look...bland. Idk, that's just my opinion.

iRyu
November 23rd, 2010, 07:28 PM
I do not like these logos at all. They look extremely bad and hurt my eyes. Why can't Nintendo of America branch out to regular Japanese things?

Guy
November 23rd, 2010, 07:40 PM
I don't like...

This is what ruins the entire look of the logo. If it was made to match, then it might have looked better. Otherwise, this is the only piece of it that bothers me.

Japanese logo > English logo every time. That's not new.

Okami Chi
November 23rd, 2010, 08:03 PM
I guess I can ignore the semi-leet speak. Anyways. I don't care much, I'm just here for the game itself.

Trap-Eds
November 23rd, 2010, 08:09 PM
Ehhh...yellow and blue against all that, well, black and white just doesn't look quite right. I remember in the Pokemon intro of Platinum, the traditional Pokemon US logo appeared in grey-why didn't they just use that?

Then again, the yellow and blue makes it a lot easier to find in stores. xD It's weird, but it works. :P

Kirbychu
November 24th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I'm not quite sure how to respond to this poll...

I like the English logos, but I like the Japanese more. I think it's simply because of how foreign the Japanese versions look.

Seriously though, are logos really something to complain about?

Aera
November 24th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I'm not quite sure how to respond to this poll...

I like the English logos, but I like the Japanese more. I think it's simply because of how foreign the Japanese versions look.

Seriously though, are logos really something to complain about?

I seriously have to agree with you. It's just logos guys, deal with it.
But yes, I like the logos just as much as the Japanese ones, it looks futuristic, it fits with the theme. But what bothers me is that "Pokemon" kinda stands out. Overall, it's quite nice.

Austy
November 24th, 2010, 10:22 PM
BIG SADFACE. T^T

I loved the Jap. logos... that's what made me so excited! Had I seen the English ones before I knew anything of the game, I would been "Bleh..." But oh well, I suppose. I'll live. I mean, I'm not playing the box. It seems like one of the anime logos to me, though.

Molenator
November 26th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Do the logos really matter? as long as the games are great the logos don't matter.

InappropriateGoat
November 26th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I dislike the English one, and love the Japanese one (I'm a fan of the colours, Black & White), but I don't think the english one is bad.

インフェルノの津波
November 27th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I actually like the logos, the English side of GF/N/Pokemon Company is doing pretty good ever since HG/SS.

Though I wish it was a bit bigger.

AadmM
November 27th, 2010, 08:39 PM
They don't look too bad, aside from the traditional yellow lettering used for the word "Pokemon". As a graphic designer who loves working with type and logos, it really puts me off a bit--the bright yellow and blue create too much of a divide between the top and bottom portions of the logos. The Japanese logos are much more streamlined, color-wise, and feel more cohesive as a result.

As someone has already demonstrated, if they would just recolor the word "Pokemon" to fit with the rest of the logo if would look much, much better. It wouldn't hurt them to freshen up the logo a bit anyway.

mervyn797
November 27th, 2010, 09:21 PM
When it comes to the logos for the english version, I prefer Pokemon Black's logo over Pokemon White's. Pokemon Black looks neater.

But I'm not surprised that they look bad, the English versions always ruin the smexy Japanese logos. :<

Blaziquaza
November 27th, 2010, 09:23 PM
As most people have said:
The yellow and blue is just... :/

King Gumball
November 28th, 2010, 01:30 AM
The only big problem I really have for the logo is
this thing.

Just... why? The localization team could've really put much more effort on making this match the spiffy words below! It's not hard at all!

LOL it does stand out in a bad way. But I am sure everyone would miss it if it were gone this time around (Impossible but still ) or changed. I would hate for it to be changed, as that logo is what pokemon is recognised for. It would be like changing a flag of a country (bit extreme eg.)

Corruptodile
November 28th, 2010, 04:53 AM
I kinda wish they'd adapt the logo more. Keep the same logo in English just, jazz it up a bit. The Black and White version logos themselves look nice, but the same generic Yellow/Blue coloring could be done away with. I don't like to point my signature. But, something like that. Where the Pokémon logo itself has some slight alterations and keep the same Black/White font that's on the current logos.

I wish the logos were more like the ones in your signature. The blue/yellow looks completely out of place.

funnykid
November 29th, 2010, 10:33 PM
I like the English logo. To you seasoned Pokemon fans, brand recognition is not a big deal. But for the rest of the population (e.g. moms and dads picking up games for their young ones), a drastic logo change may mean confusion and lost sales.

The Red Chain
November 29th, 2010, 11:10 PM
English BW Logos:
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/5/5c/English_BW_logo.png

Eh, the Japanese logos always tend to be more beautiful than the English ones, so I'm not too surprised.
I am a little annoyed though because I've gotten so used to the gorgeous logo that is Japanese White version, that it's hard to adjust to that.

At least they did something a little more flashy with the "White version" and "Black version" text. Imitates what the Japanese did to their logo.

Overall, typical Pokemon, so nothing too disappointing.

Roxanne Rosie
November 29th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Yeck...No, the English ones are horrible
The Japanese logos are waaaaayyyy better

TheChaosBlue
November 29th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Personally, the logos are decent enough for me. The bright blue and yellow Pokemon logo kind of clashes with the futuristic and blocky look of the font usd for the logos though. Then again, all other past game logos didn't mean that much to me anyway. Its these though that I actually was interested in; that Generation Five hype I tell you.

Butterfree-Charizard
November 30th, 2010, 11:07 AM
.... They look like I made them :( The Japanese ones are so much better.

Cataclysmic
November 30th, 2010, 11:35 AM
They look horribly plain compared to the Japanese ones, but they're not that bad. Indifferent.

Dooonerz
November 30th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Here's the conversation on making the logo:

GameFreak Project Manager: "Okay guys we need a logo for Black and White. Our Japanese logo was a huge success and we need something that can match it. Any ideas?"

Smart Employee: "Well why don't we keep the original template of the Japanese logo, translate it into English and tweak it a little to catch the eye of the buyer!"

GameFreak Project Manager: "Nahh not good enough; the customer may think that the design is lazy."

Stupid Employee: "Ooo! I know! We can have the Pokemon logo, and add it to 'Pokemon Black/White' the colours will totally not clash at all!"

GameFreak Project Manager: "Yes! That's brilliant! Let's get right on it."

Smart Employee: *-______________-*

Come on GF, have a little creativity up in here.

Perrie ✿
December 3rd, 2010, 05:18 PM
Thats more things the English version has ruined >:

They look nasty D: Japanese one's were better IMO.

First they ruined Mijumaru and Pokabu now this!?

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 3rd, 2010, 05:36 PM
Here's the conversation on making the logo:

GameFreak Project Manager: "Okay guys we need a logo for Black and White. Our Japanese logo was a huge success and we need something that can match it. Any ideas?"

Smart Employee: "Well why don't we keep the original template of the Japanese logo, translate it into English and tweak it a little to catch the eye of the buyer!"

GameFreak Project Manager: "Nahh not good enough; the customer may think that the design is lazy."

Stupid Employee: "Ooo! I know! We can have the Pokemon logo, and add it to 'Pokemon Black/White' the colours will totally not clash at all!"

GameFreak Project Manager: "Yes! That's brilliant! Let's get right on it."

Smart Employee: *-______________-*

Come on GF, have a little creativity up in here.

GameFreak = Japanese game development and design
Nintendo of America Inc. = Localization

Point fingers at the right source.

December 3rd, 2010, 05:38 PM
I personally don't see the logo as that big of a problem...we only really see it in the box art and maybe will see it for a few seconds in the credits but that's it...

linkinpark187
December 3rd, 2010, 07:00 PM
In all honesty, it turned out better than the Heart Gold/Soul Silver conversion. I like the Black/White logos. Maybe that's just me, though.

Headfirst For Halos
December 3rd, 2010, 07:18 PM
A bit too clashy for my taste. As much as I hate to admit this without sounding like a weeaboo, they should have kept the same format that had for the Japanese logo.

Stop overreacting, though. It's just a damned logo. Even with ugly headers, a good game is a good game.

Massacre.
December 3rd, 2010, 07:28 PM
FREAKING HORRIBLE. Wow, another reason not to buy the English version. WOW. I have a LOT of Isshus with this. Unova? Seriously? *calms down*

December 3rd, 2010, 08:09 PM
A bit too clashy for my taste. As much as I hate to admit this without sounding like a weeaboo, they should have kept the same format that had for the Japanese logo.

Stop overreacting, though. It's just a damned logo. Even with ugly headers, a good game is a good game.
That's what I'm saying! It's sad but...people tend to be drama queens about these logos...

Twiggy
December 3rd, 2010, 09:11 PM
Actually, I think the localised logos are pretty good. Like the HGSS ones, because they went with their own style. And kept some parts of the Japanese logos.

I'm ignoring the blue-and-yellow Pokémon logo, because, umm, it's the original Pokémon logo. Why change it when it's still of some use?

syotipoke
December 3rd, 2010, 09:48 PM
Wow.Just wow. How poor is that? I mean, they've gone into a whole new low on the logo.
Well, it's not much of a big deal. The gameplay will rock for sure.Or else...

Sleet
December 3rd, 2010, 09:51 PM
They look...odd.

But they are just logos anyway, I'll only see them every time I start the game so, as you put, I don't have an "Isshu" with them XD

Wow.Just wow. How poor is that? I mean, they've gone into a whole new low on the logo.
Well, it's not much of a big deal. The gameplay will rock for sure.Or else...

The game does rock. I'm enjoying it even though I don't have a clue what I'm supposed to be doing because it's all in Japanese XD

Regeneration
December 3rd, 2010, 10:42 PM
I prefer the Japanese logo over the English one. The Japanese one looks cool! :P

BHwolfgang
December 3rd, 2010, 10:52 PM
The Japanese logo for B/W is so much better.

I thought that the English version was going to be the same but with English text... Well, this is another letdown. The Pokemon logo is so.. why? Maybe I'm just overreacting, but I still firm with my belief that the American logo is nowhere near the Japanese.

BrainWave
December 5th, 2010, 04:28 AM
I like the font style of the texts "Black Version" and "White Version". However, the colour looks kinda off. I'm not refering towards the matchup between the "Pokemon" logo and the "Black/White version" text; There is a shine effect that make the text "Black" hard to read.

Also, the BW versions texts does not fit well below the pokemon logo. maybe they need to shrink it down a little and re-position it towards the arc below the pokmeon logo?

But still, IMO they were better off using the same texts as they use for the Ruby/Sapphire/whatever game they use from Ruby to Platinum versions. The only difference is that one version (Black maybe?) is inverted in colour compared to the other.

I can't disagree with people saying the japanese' logo were better.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
December 5th, 2010, 10:11 AM
The Japanese logos always look better than the ones in English, it should be the other way around if you ask me because the Pokemon Company has more time to make the logo. They should really change the "Pokemon" logos color to something else and then I'll be happy

:t354:TG

syotipoke
December 7th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Oh God, it sucks, and the old original logo is... I dunno, MONOTONOUS??

Doppelgänger
December 8th, 2010, 01:42 PM
They're both pretty sweet in my opinion, but the Japanese ones are a tad bit better :)

fenyx4
December 10th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Here they are...I finally located these fanmade logos after some searching...

http://i49.tinypic.com/s2xvkp.pnghttp://i50.tinypic.com/34ybudt.png

I saw these in Flex_S (http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=105494)'s signature... IMO, they look simplistic and could have worked nicely with the boxart.

I still think using the Futura SB-XBold (http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/efscangraphic/futura-sb/xbold/) (seen on boxart of RSE/DPPt) font or the Bank Gothic (http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/bitstream/bank-gothic/) font (seen on HGSS boxart, I think) would've worked:

http://myfonts-wtf.s3.amazonaws.com/09/09581bca573e85efeddd33f2a40e2949.31051.jpeg

http://origin.myfonts.net/118/fs/u/1f/980174c3ca75fff2ea29b7d63cfd88.gif

The Futura one was a bit neutral for the box arts, but since they're playing off black and white on the BW boxarts, I think using the Bank Gothic style would be better. I just hope we don't get in a trend of experimenting with new fonts every generation...

As for the Japanese logos, I agree that they look pretty sleek. Also, that background grid has a greater presence in the logo, and the nicely-incorporated PokeBall symbol complements it well (which can't be used in the current Pokemon logo unfortunately).

Though that yellow-and-blue logo tends to clash sometimes, it's iconic, and getting rid of it would be a tragedy. :cer_laugh: I like its fun, quirky look, though... But could they have adopted a black-white scheme to it? They went to the liberty of altering the colors on the logo of the Pokemon 4Ever movie, and it worked out great, IMO:

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/b/ba/Pokemon_forever.jpg

I have a feeling that the "font" used to write out the Japanese kanji/hiragana/katakana/whatever it is >_> doesn't have an "equivalent" in any English letter fonts I've seen (and the font seen in the BW English logo isn't the same, from my perspective). A shame though, because it looks pretty cool.

MrsNorrington
December 10th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Japanese logos are amazing

The English logos are TERRIBLE!! ='(

The Noob Hacker
December 11th, 2010, 06:09 PM
God the Japanese logos are so good compared to these crap English ones. A two year old could have made those logos! Come on Nintendo, it's called innovation, try to implement that into your logos.

olih
February 9th, 2011, 03:39 PM
They're awesome, and just add to the whole sort of "new-fangled" look of Black and White.

Katja
February 9th, 2011, 03:41 PM
The japanese ones are always better IMO.

Kaori
February 9th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Olih, please don't revive dead threads from over months ago; two in this case. :(

Locked.