PDA

View Full Version : Russia, Qatar win the World Cup bids for 2018 and 2022.

Golden Latios
December 2nd, 2010, 03:55 PM
I've read two or three articles on this subject today so far, and it seems that the response to Russia and Qatar winning the right to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cup is mixed. One article claimed that FIFA is corrupt for choosing Qatar, making allegations that Qatar was only chosen because of the money it makes from its large oil reserves. I can't say I disagree, but even if that's true, another article made me see it in a more positive light. It described how Qatar could help the "Peace in the Middle East" process, and the fact that Qatar has 12 years to deliver on their promises.

No one seemed to complain much about Russia winning the 2018 bid, but there was a lot of discussion on the fact that the USA and Australia lost their bids. I think it will be interesting for Russia to host their first World Cup, and I love the WC so much that it doesn't bother me which country hosts it. For some reason, I feel the 2014 World Cup will be a great one, and it is awesome how a lively place like Brazil will host it.

What are your thoughts on the 2014, 2018 and 2022 World Cup hosts? Are you pleased, disappointed or indifferent about today's outcome? How do you think the next World Cups will turn out because of the countries that are hosting it?

mondays suck
December 2nd, 2010, 04:09 PM
Russia makes sense to me, but...
Qatar? Seriously? I don't know much about that country apart from the already mentioned fact that the sheiks there are filthy rich, but I'm pretty sure it has a size comparable to Luxemburg. How the hell are they going to put enough stadiums in there without transforming the entire country into nothing but stadiums? No, that corruption suspicion makes more sense to me than the FIFA's decision.

Arago
December 2nd, 2010, 04:14 PM
This is discussing sports. Other Chat is a catchall forum for threads on topics that don't belong in any other forum. We have a forum for discussing sports. Other Entertainment.

bobandbill
December 2nd, 2010, 04:33 PM
I can't say I'm not disappointed that Australia didn't win 2022 (pity too, football here has only recently begun to boom in the last decade and having the WC after qualifying for two in a row would have been massive).

I do question the decision to go with Qatar - like it or not, this is a country with 50 degree C heat in summer (sure, you can air-condition a stadium, but not a country), and all the stadiums will be within 25 miles of each other, never mind the whole risk thing - for such a small country to get it, after it recieving the highest risk assessment by far, over Australia or the US for instance, one can't help but be sceptical of FIFA's decison and think they did it for the money. And they most likely did. -_- (Remember there were corruption claims before the decision as well with Qatar).

Bah humbug etc. =p

Nuke
December 3rd, 2010, 09:58 AM
Not like there is a football discussion thread or anything...

Anyway, I'm dissapointed about England losing the bid but given how corrupt fifa is, I wouldn't be surprised if we Russia were made to win.

Blue Nocturne
December 3rd, 2010, 10:02 AM
I can say that I'm very glad that England isn't hosting the 2018 games, we have enough financial garbage to wade through at the moment as it is, never mind having to shell out millions just so some idiots can kick a ball for thousands of pounds a minute. As a country, we have much higher priorities than sport.

As for 2022, could some one remind me where Qatar is?

Azure Rathalδs
December 3rd, 2010, 10:11 AM
Quatar? I though that was a name of a travel provider.

Preety controversl choises by fifa here. I can understand Rusiia thoguh.

Eagledelt
December 3rd, 2010, 10:44 AM
I would love to have the World Cup in Portugal/Spain :C

donavannj
December 3rd, 2010, 10:57 AM
For those who don't know, this is where Qatar is:

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID15870/images/MiddleEast,_Qatar.jpg

I question the logic of hosting in such a small country that's third largest city is home to only 30,000 people.

Mukkamoto
December 3rd, 2010, 12:04 PM
Disappointed at Englands bid losing, althought i was expecting Portugal/Spain to win the bid for 2018. Russia was a suprise tbh :/

Ninja Caterpie
December 3rd, 2010, 02:02 PM
For those who don't know, this is where Qatar is:

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID15870/images/MiddleEast,_Qatar.jpg

I question the logic of hosting in such a small country that's third largest city is home to only 30,000 people.

Because it's filthy rich and can build just about everything it wants and more in the 12 years it has been given. I'd be willing to bet that any outlandish promises (like the best air con in the world) are pretty possible if they try lol.

Although I am kinda sad Australia didn't get it. :(

otaku-dono
December 4th, 2010, 02:16 AM
The only thing Qatar has on its side is money. It's like hosting the World Cup in New Zealand with more money - the facilities may not be up to World Cup standards. Although in saying that, with the money they have it wouldn't be hard to acquire the standards in 12 years.

I was all for Russia hosting it, but then my friend told me that England have only hosted the World Cup once, and that seemed quite odd. I do think it's a good thing to let Russia host though, as they care enough about football to make it work.

Brazil is Brazil; they've hosted it enough times for us to know that they can do it and do it well.

Nuke
December 4th, 2010, 03:13 AM
I can say that I'm very glad that England isn't hosting the 2018 games, we have enough financial garbage to wade through at the moment as it is, never mind having to shell out millions just so some idiots can kick a ball for thousands of pounds a minute. As a country, we have much higher priorities than sport.

As for 2022, could some one remind me where Qatar is?

Any country (except maybe Qatar) will gain money from hosting a world cup so it would have been financial gain as soon as the games came around. To be fair we wouldn't have had to spend much on stadiums etc. because most of what we would have used is already there.

Neutral
December 4th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Okay ... I've had time to absorb this and form a more balanced opinion I just wanted to say one thing.

QATAR????
Well. I'm personally looking forward to Malta 2026 and Somalia 2030.
Looks like I'm saving up for Brazil.

Purple_Haze
December 4th, 2010, 09:20 AM
This is horrible Qatar doesnt have the capability to host the WC. On top of needing airconditioned stadiums they would have to deal with thousands of fans coming into there one major city so on top of the stadium they would need a lot more hotels. the choice just doesnot make sense.

Eliminator Jr.
December 4th, 2010, 03:30 PM
I'm not that annoyed that Australia missed out on the world cup. I'm more annoyed by the fact that numerous FIFA personalities who were voting had basically promised us their vote and then we ended up getting 1 out of the 22 votes.

Best of luck to Qatar, anyway. I'm sure they can build everything they need in the next twelve years so location isn't a problem.

Eagledelt
December 4th, 2010, 04:15 PM
About Qatar...
The long summer (May through September) is characterized by intense heat and alternating dryness and humidity, with temperatures reaching 50 °C (122 °F)
Can a football team play with 50 ºC? I mean... Here in Portugal, in May/September (when the leagues are on) temperature reaches ~30 ºC. With this temperature teams can barely stand in the field and play... World Cups are in June, July right? That's hot lol. /facepalm

I Laugh at your Misfortune!
December 11th, 2010, 01:18 PM
At least England players will be used to the Russian weather, with how freezing it's been here lately.

But in Qatar, they'll be sweating enough to flood the stadium. I mean, 50ºC? That's not just hot, that's ridiculous.