• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

iTouch vs. Zune HD?

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
Years
I've recently gotten a Zune HD and absolutely love it, but I still have people yelling at me about how I should have gotten an iTouch, and so I'm curious, which do you prefer?

I went with the Zune HD because, sure, its screen is SLIGHTLY smaller, but it does more. It has (HD) radio, and allows for HD video, and it's not as closed off as Apple products commonly are. But then, it's also smaller, lighter, and has a bit more battery life.

The only problem is, because it's so new, there are extremely few apps for it, but I'm sure that will eventually be remedied.

So yeah, your opinion?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 15, 2023
iPod Touch all the way. Battery life for me isn't too big a concern, since I don't do a lot of heavy gaming on the Touch, and the app ecosystem on the Touch is far less limited than that on the Zune.

Besides, even though the Zune has HD Radio, we have Internet radio in every flavor and color imaginable.

Gerri Shin

  
Years
I must also go for the iPod Touch, the screen is just so much better than the Zune HD (to the point that you can actually watch HD video in near Native resolution on the device). Also, last I checked I couldn't use a Zune anyway since there is no support for Zune outside Windows. I use iTunes to stream My library all across my house and the iPod Touch gets in on that action quickly and easily.

Last edited:

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 12, 2014
I'd probably go with the iTouch for the apps.

Edit: iTouch definitely then. I read you can't get Last.fm on the Zune.

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
Years
Most people will go with iPods due to the fact they have been a iPod fan since the beginning.
I for one, love the Zune. It's much nicer, more sleek, amazing graphics and what not.

I'd probably go with the iTouch for the apps.

Edit: iTouch definitely then. I read you can't get Last.fm on the Zune.

What's the point of Last.fm when you have a built in radio already in the Zune?

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
Years
@ゲンガー: I'm glad I'm not alone, quite frankly. And yeah, it's true, as I've seen these days, people buy iPods just because it's an iPod. You can get a good, working mp3 player for like under a $50 these days and yet so many people still buy iPods for over 100. I got my 32 gb Zune for 180 and a 32 gb iTouch is what, nearly 300?

Really, if you compare the specs from a technological standpoint, the Zune really is a better product. It's just people don't know anything about it.

Just to quickly point out things: There's Zune software that does everything iTunes does and there's wireless sync, so if you wanted, all songs downloaded will be automatically synced to the Zune if it happens to be sitting nearby.
And it has wi-fi. If anyone is wondering.
If you have the capacity, as well, you're free to develop anything you want for it.
Oh. And all the apps for it are free.

I sound like a walking ad. But really, what iPods do vs. their price has always bothered me. >.>

Years
@ゲンガー: I'm glad I'm not alone, quite frankly. And yeah, it's true, as I've seen these days, people buy iPods just because it's an iPod. You can get a good, working mp3 player for like under a $50 these days and yet so many people still buy iPods for over 100. I got my 32 gb Zune for 180 and a 32 gb iTouch is what, nearly 300?
Buying an iPod because it's an iPod isn't nearly as stupid as you make it sound. I'm sure it's easy for you to buy a Zune dock. Or a cover/case/screen protector. Not to mention the software support, as far as apps go, gains a lot more focus from developers.

Really, if you compare the specs from a technological standpoint, the Zune really is a better product. It's just people don't know anything about it.>.>
Is now a good time to point out that the iPod Touch has 4 times the resolution?

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
Years
Wait, am I missing something?
"LCD Resolution: 480x272 vs. 480x320"? (Zune vs. iTouch)

Also... I own a dock, case, and screen protector. It's only been out for a few months and I easily found accessories.
I know I'm coming off as a bit of a prick, and I sincerely apologize if I am, I'm just trying to point out how much people really don't know about other products. XD

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
Years

Really, if you compare the specs from a technological standpoint, the Zune really is a better product. It's just people don't know anything about it.

Just to quickly point out things: There's Zune software that does everything iTunes does and there's wireless sync, so if you wanted, all songs downloaded will be automatically synced to the Zune if it happens to be sitting nearby.
And it has wi-fi. If anyone is wondering.
If you have the capacity, as well, you're free to develop anything you want for it.
Oh. And all the apps for it are free.

I sound like a walking ad. But really, what iPods do vs. their price has always bothered me. >.>

Probably more. When I get my iPod nano 4th gen 8 GB when it came out, it was like $200.
But yes, Zune does have many aspects that iPods don't, it's unique.
It's just not your overrated mainstream mp3. :D

Years
Wait, am I missing something?
"LCD Resolution: 480x272 vs. 480x320"? (Zune vs. iTouch)

Also... I own a dock, case, and screen protector. It's only been out for a few months and I easily found accessories.
I know I'm coming off as a bit of a prick, and I sincerely apologize if I am, I'm just trying to point out how much people really don't know about other products. XD
I did write a post, but I must have forgotten to post it.. :P

The current iPod Touch has a res of 960x640. 4x the old one. You may have no issue finding accessories, but there's not doubt that iPod accessories are easier to find.

For the record, I'm not terribly biased. I personally use a Sony Walkman due to the fact that I don't have the money at the moment to get another else.

And nah, you're fine. I can see exactly where you are coming from, it's just that the iPod Touch has benefits you've missed.

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
Years
Hmm, I'm a bit behind I guess. XD Too many generations of iPods.

I s'pose in the end it's to each his own. (I'm just terribly annoyed by people at school telling me that I made a terrible choice and whatnot. Grr.)

Years
Hmm, I'm a bit behind I guess. XD Too many generations of iPods.

I s'pose in the end it's to each his own. (I'm just terribly annoyed by people at school telling me that I made a terrible choice and whatnot. Grr.)
No, it's up to you. Recommending something is fine, but you don't tell them they made a bad choice, especially when they're close enough that preference towards one brand outweighs the features of another.

dithyrambos

PHANTOM girl
Years
  • Age 15
  • Seen Apr 8, 2012
I don't use Last.fm for the radio, I use it for scrobbling.
Only reason I'd EVER get an iPod is for the scrobbling, which can't be done with the Zune. Actually, I have an old 8GB Zune that I never use for this very reason, LOL. I just have to stick with the iTunes software for now. I really wish Last.fm had Zune support. :/ I'm kind of obsessive about scrobbling.

So, @OP, if you're a scrobbler go for the iPod. Otherwise.... honestly? Keep the Zune. Their line of products are really nice.

xMiZx

Lazy Battler
Years
I like the Zune better. And that everyone wants an ipod because of the name brand. Not to aim it to anyone here, but sadly from where I am now, everyone I see buys and iPod because they can. I like to be different. Thus why I got a 32GB Zune HD for $198.00

But iPods can hack a ps3, so now I'm toggled into the middle.

Last edited:

Ravecat

I'm Right.
Years
I'm currently using a Cowon S9, as it is the most open and flexible MP3 player out there at the moment, like all Cowon players.

The Zune HD, however, was a close second. Its specs are nice and the interface seems very fluid. It doesn't have apps but I don't care for them, I'll pull out my DS or android phone if I really need to mess around with applications.

I would never buy an iPod. Now don't get all enraged with me, it's just personal, educated opinion. Apple products cost too much, their specs are largely inferior (who cares about resolution on such a tiny screen?), they are prone to breaking (both physically and software-side) and I do not care about trivial apps. The largest deal-breaker, however, is that I do not like iTunes, and am far happier with an extensive array of other media programs that are considerably superior.

bigplrbear

C# programmer for the IAPL
Years
If the Zune HD had better support for apps and such, I would honestly go with that. The screen on the Zune HD is just so nice, and it's cheaper than an iPod Touch too.

But alas, I wanted apps. So I got an iPod touch instead. I don't regret it :3

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
Years
I've had experience with both a bit, and to be honest I like the Zune more. I have found the Zune experience to much more enjoyable, much more user friendly, more pleasing to the eye...yeah...the only gripe I might have is the lack of an equalizer, but with the right headphones, it really doesn't matter. lol

Back