PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] Decapitalization

Sagiri
December 9th, 2010, 04:51 AM
When I first looked at the picture that revealed Zoroark and Zorua's English names, I was thinking something was weird about it. Now, looking at it again, I figured it out - the names have been decapitalized. That is, it is shown as Zorua, rather than ZORUA in-game.

I know this doesn't really invite much discussion, but I thought it was at least worth a mention.

Tropical Sunlight
December 9th, 2010, 06:51 AM
I recall submitting a thread about it :D

I like it.

Ravecat
December 9th, 2010, 07:05 AM
I'm all for it. Looks much better.

Guy
December 9th, 2010, 07:15 AM
The font is a bit small when the name is on display during battle, but in the message box it looks a lot better in my opinion. I'm glad it isn't something like, "The foe's ZOROARK used Hone Claws!" The random capitalization always annoyed me. ):

The Red Chain
December 9th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Oh my goodness! I didn't even notice until you mentioned it. I thought something looked really weird too.
Wow, I'm pretty excited. That was one of the very first things to be brought up for speculation, and it's really nice to see that it took place.

Now it feels more smooth, natural, and looks less random than "PIKACHU used Thunderbolt!". XD
This just gets me more pumped for the english version. I hope the names of humans have been decapitalized too.

txteclipse
December 9th, 2010, 08:08 AM
I've made it a habit to, at the very least, decapitalize my pokemon's names. This will save me some time. XD

Looks better too.

PlatinumDude
December 10th, 2010, 12:23 AM
The decapitalization of the Pokemon's names does make the battle screen look cleaner. It's awkward having the moves decapitalized, but not the Pokemon.

Yuoaman
December 10th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Nothing should be randomly capitalized in the games. This is definitely something I was hoping for.

fenyx4
December 10th, 2010, 02:03 PM
NOOOOOO...

LOL...I actually liked the capitalization in the games. Makes it feel more like a 1016-year-old kid teen yelling every person, place, and thing on their excursion. :D It makes everything feel important! Though lowercase letters are a bit easier on the eyes...

I haven't started my "permanent" Pokemon files yet (and I am still stuck in Generation III >_>), but I've been following the pattern of just leaving everything in their CAPITALIZED! formatting. Except the thing is, I don't nickname legendaries (and I consider Lucario and Zoroark "legendary" for certain factors, even though they aren't officially)...

So for the nicknamed Pokemon with capital letters from past games, are they going to stay that way or get forced to first-letter-capitalized-and-rest-of-letters-are-lowercase (I'm thinking there's a noun for this...CamelCase isn't fitting the bill..). I assume they'll remain the same, but with the changes to "proper" capitalization, they'll look a bit awkward in Generation 5...

King Gumball
December 10th, 2010, 02:05 PM
WOO! I always wanted the names to be decapitalised. I hated it all in capitals, and always wondered why they would do that. This looks much betetr and neater now.

Kevin
December 10th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I'm pretty glad that now everything, including Pokemon names, are de-capitalized. It fits more with the rest of the game and less-annoying if you don't want to de-capitalize it by nicknaming it.

The 100 Mega Shock
December 10th, 2010, 02:18 PM
NOOOOOO...

LOL...I actually liked the capitalization in the games. Makes it feel more like a 1016-year-old kid teen yelling every person, place, and thing on their excursion. :D It makes everything feel important! Though lowercase letters are a bit easier on the eyes...

I haven't started my "permanent" Pokemon files yet (and I am still stuck in Generation III >_>), but I've been following the pattern of just leaving everything in their CAPITALIZED! formatting. Except the thing is, I don't nickname legendaries (and I consider Lucario and Zoroark "legendary" for certain factors, even though they aren't officially)...

So for the nicknamed Pokemon with capital letters from past games, are they going to stay that way or get forced to first-letter-capitalized-and-rest-of-letters-are-lowercase (I'm thinking there's a noun for this...CamelCase isn't fitting the bill..). I assume they'll remain the same, but with the changes to "proper" capitalization, they'll look a bit awkward in Generation 5...

Spefically nicknamed Pokémon wouldn't be changed because that would possibly mess up what the original nicknamer had in mind.

As for transferring Pokémon across wit the Pokéshifter it's extremely easy for the game to check if a Pokémon is actually nicknamed or not. Even assuming that the game doesn't get standard Pokémon names from set list in the data and write them to the screen (Meaning that every species will have it's name will be in Title Case by default), by that token it'd also be simple enough to code a quick function in to rename un-nicknamed Pokémon to title case.

Waffle-San
December 10th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Am I the only one that thought this was going to be a thread about Capitalism in the US and how I guess Unova is opposed to that? No? Not suprising. :P

Anyways, I'm happy about this, I always changed my name.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
December 10th, 2010, 04:14 PM
well this is nice to know, I think they should get rid of all capitalization if it's not the first letter of a Place, move, or person/Pokemon

Nakuzami
December 10th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Names are no longer capitalized? YAYZ! My suffering is over!

I always hated how the names were capitalized. I would usually change them, and if I didn't, i'd change it later :P

otaku-dono
December 10th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Oh it's about time they did this. I was never one for ALLCAPS, especially unnecessary ALLCAPS.

The Noob Hacker
December 10th, 2010, 04:43 PM
As Captain Falcxon would say: YESH!

It always bothered me seeing "PIKACHU used THUNDERBOLT!" Or even "PICKACHU used Thunderbolt!" Now I am happy.

MrsNorrington
December 10th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I always hated that Pokemon names were capitalized! I used to be so OCD about it, that I would have to nickname my Pokemon with lowercase letters.

This is awesome ^^

Alaskan Husky
December 10th, 2010, 08:03 PM
honestly, i saw it coming

but that doesn't mean that i'm not excited! i disliked the capitalization of the names like i'm assuming most people did, so this is nice. but i always nickname my mons anyways so it isn't that big of a deal to me

twistedpuppy
December 10th, 2010, 08:41 PM
I like it. I never hated the capitalization of the names before, but I must agree that this new change is quite refreshing.

Fushigidane-Chan
December 10th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Wait... it's been fixed? Finally?

Huzzah!

hack1
December 10th, 2010, 11:32 PM
This is so awesome. I like to write my nicknames uncapitalized, and now enemies are uncapitalized too!

Haza
December 11th, 2010, 01:45 AM
I got used to the capitalization since you cant change it on Event Pokemon.

Twiggy
December 11th, 2010, 04:48 AM
Finally, no more caps for Pokémon species names! I think the text will now flow much more smoothly now. I was really glad when they stopped all-caps'ing everything in 4th gen, when they only used all caps for species names (nicknames are normal caps). Now that everything is spelled normally, well, I think my interest just shot up. A lot. The text now won't clash with everything!

dragon0fangz
December 11th, 2010, 06:38 AM
caution... The names could be decapitalized just for the demo version. When the game comes out, BOOM ALLCAPS. (even though I love that band)

Bluerang1
December 11th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Oh joy. Now I won't have to feel self conscious: "Should I put my name in all caps? Should I put my Pokemon's nickname in all caps? Why is that name in all caps?!"

Dixie Kong
December 14th, 2010, 11:20 PM
This makes me happy. Took'em five generations, but it's good to see they realized we were sick of sending out CHARIZARD and Lord knows we don't need to see "Wild SEED BBY appeared!" Decapitilization makes me happy.

Cake
December 15th, 2010, 12:01 AM
I honestly never really cared much about the random capitalization, probably because I got used to it and it is just one of those things in the series. It is a really pleasant change though. I'm sure tons of people are happy about it and it really didn't hurt at all to have regular syntax in the games for once. C:

imevil
December 15th, 2010, 12:38 PM
i like it now uncapitalized

Mr.Deth
December 15th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Awesome, now I don't get to feel like someone is screaming at me or trying to over-emphasize something.

fenyx4
December 21st, 2010, 10:55 AM
Whoa...didn't expect so many people in this thread to be against the ALLCAPS featured in past games. :cer_laugh:

caution... The names could be decapitalized just for the demo version. When the game comes out, BOOM ALLCAPS. (even though I love that band)

:cer_laugh: I would ROFL if that happened. It appears that a lot of people would ragequit, assuming that the majority of players share this thread's majority opinion.

Oh joy. Now I won't have to feel self conscious: "Should I put my name in all caps? Should I put my Pokemon's nickname in all caps? Why is that name in all caps?!"

Heh-heh; this is probably why I'm more in favor of ALLCAPS rendering of Pokemon names. And I've been playing Pokemon Emerald for who knows how long, so I've gotten very used to it being onscreen. #_# But take for instance, the Pokemon Blaziken who I used to nickname BLAZER, but is now getting renamed TRAILBLAZR (truncating of TrailBlazer). With lowercase, I started wondering: is it TrailBlazr or Trailblazr? Do I capitalize the "B" due to the name being composed of two different words?! However, with ALLCAPS, I don't have to decide, as I can just stick with TRAILBLAZR to make it ambiguous.

But I have to agree, the decapitalization does look very nice in the battle text box on the bottom of the screen. In the HP Bar Box though, it just looks...strange in lowercase. Maybe it's the font...?

An idea that I had that could be optional is that the Pokemon's name in the HP Bar Box is in ALLCAPS regardless of the nickname, yet the name in the Battle Text Box preserves the original intentions of the nickname, rendering it in the original format. Personally, that would help me get more used to the regular casing, as seeing anything but ALLCAPS in the HP Bar Box is just plain weird...

This makes me happy. Took'em five generations, but it's good to see they realized we were sick of sending out CHARIZARD and Lord knows we don't need to see "Wild SEED BBY appeared!" Decapitilization makes me happy.

LOL...it's kind of interesting. This is the first generation where the players have apparently "matured", taking on an older appearance. In the same token, as you grow older, you learn to use proper grammar, capitalization, and syntax in writing (well, most of us do, I assume; can't say the same for some other people on the Internet). So as the player grows older and matures, the game "matures" as well and reflects this growth, thus "correcting" its error from past games, "learning" to use proper grammar in game text (in this case, using regular letter casing instead of ALLCAPS casing).

Awesome, now I don't get to feel like someone is screaming at me or trying to over-emphasize something.

BUT IT MAKES EVERYTHING FEEL IMPORTANT!!!! :D In past games, at least it made sense: children (10-year-olds in this case) tend to emphasize everything in conversation when they're excited. And, IMO, few things are more exciting to a child than getting to go out adventuring on your own and proceeding to kick butt with your powerful elemental monster buddies. :)

machomuu
December 21st, 2010, 08:18 PM
Decapitalization is a Godsend for me. This is mainly because in the first generation peoples' names were ALL CAPS, so when I only capped the first letter of my rival's and my name, it would be inconsistent with the rest of the games' characters, luckily it was changed in later generations. Basically, I am glad to hear that this is applying to pokemon species names as well.

Forever
December 21st, 2010, 09:33 PM
Never actually stated my thoughts here. :D;

I'm fine either way tbh, because yes, random capitals are annoying, but... we've had them for so long so it'll be sort of hard to get used to, unless I just see it as EVERY POKEMON in the games having a nickname!

I'm still thinking they'll change it back to all capitals at last minute to annoy people, but we'll see~

loliwin
December 21st, 2010, 10:20 PM
It loooks nice, its also nice if they werent decapitalized as well. :)

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 21st, 2010, 10:32 PM
They should've done it earlier. Those newly migrated Pokémon aren't going to blend in now, are they?

They should've done this in the fourth generation like they initially planned to.

Team Fail
December 21st, 2010, 11:19 PM
They should've done it earlier. Those newly migrated Pokémon aren't going to blend in now, are they?

They should've done this in the fourth generation like they initially planned to.

Whoa. They were? You just blew my mind away.

I like it. They'd better keep it that way. Imagine...

A wild ZOROARK appeared!
as opposed to...
A wild Zororark appeared!

It not only makes it neater, but more correct.

560cool.
December 22nd, 2010, 12:54 AM
Oh yeah, I noticed that too. :o I can simply say I'm overjoyed. CAPS REALLY DISTURBS MY EYES.
Oh, wait.

Haowakeorden
December 22nd, 2010, 08:01 PM
I don't personally care very much about how they capitalize these things (seeing how they've done it since Generation I), but I guess it does look somewhat "cleaner" now that they don't have Pokémon names in all-caps anymore.

Logan_AT
December 23rd, 2010, 07:22 AM
Dangit, I've gotten too used to leaving my Pokemon's names capitalized...now I will have to be deliberate about it!

Or cause everyone to question my sanity by aLtErNaTiNg CaPs. :X

Sverige
December 23rd, 2010, 03:35 PM
I prefer it like that. It always gets on my nerves when names are all capitals, or don't start with one.

Trap-Eds
December 24th, 2010, 02:17 PM
This whole capitalization thing never really bugged me with Pokemon names ('cause you're supposed to yell during battle, right?), just with the people's and item's names. This is going to be an interesting change.

Raichupacabra
December 26th, 2010, 05:24 AM

Exactly what I was thinking

____ sent out Tepig, Oshawott and Snivy.
Go!!! SALAMENCE, LUCARIO and Zoroark.

But yeah they should've started this in the fourth generation.

And then I'll have to rename them all over to realise I forgot a letter. (Lucrio) xD
But this will be an issue with events and traded Pokemon.

Crysta Blade
December 26th, 2010, 05:56 AM
I couldn't be happier that they finally fixed this. It's been bugging me ever since I picked up the series at age ten. Grammer does not work that way! Why didn't they do this in the first place, I wonder?

Sabrewulf238
December 26th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I'd assume that pokemon being brought from 4th gen games to the 5th gen would have their names (if not nicknamed) converted to the correct case.

It wouldn't be difficult to do that.

Rei Shingetsu
December 26th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Yahoo~! I had an OCD for that too; Am so glad they're going to do that~ Made me look forwards to the new game more!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
December 26th, 2010, 11:38 AM
This is good to see, now I won't feel odd about all the capitol letters...also now the only one with a fully Capitalized name is N who has only one letter xD.

Kitrigar
December 26th, 2010, 11:38 AM
I like the decap. style.
It doesn't make it seem like your trainer is always screaming.
Looks more neat too.

Kanto_Johto
December 26th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Good. It took me a while to get used to the fact that the game was just emphasising important events and that the residents didn't just have random outbursts.

"Sweet, now that you have all 8 badges you can take on the POKEMON LEEEEAAAAAAAGGGGUUUEEEEEEEE at the INDIGO PLATEAU!!!111!!!1!1!!"

That was quite literally how I used to hear it in my head.

aguinn99
December 26th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I never really noticed it, so I don't care very much. but still, it makes it look like your trainer is not screaming.

Meduza
December 26th, 2010, 05:38 PM
http://i51.tinypic.com/feoqcl.png

Anyone notice all the Pokemn's names are now written with the beginning letter being upper-cased and the rest being lower-cased?

E.g
Generic Name Written Prior To Gen.5: EXAMPLE
Generic Name Written in Gen.5: Example

Could it be possible this change will be happening in black and White or could it be the small flaw in a fake screenshot?

Haowakeorden
December 29th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Could it be possible this change will be happening in black and White or could it be the small flaw in a fake screenshot?
We're pretty sure it's an actual change, since other screenshots that have been released use the same format.

Felly
December 29th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Sounds a heck of a lot better. I always wondered why they kept it in all caps anyways.

SharKing319
December 29th, 2010, 03:44 PM
As I said on Bulbagarden, this is something I've been waiting a long time for. Of course, I do have to wonder why the names were capitalized in the first place.

solarowl
December 29th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Yeah it was weird when all pokemon names were capitalized but I grew used to it. Its nice to not have all caps now! :D

Cherrim
December 29th, 2010, 11:38 PM
I am so happy. :D The all-caps always bother me in the previous games. Before I started using legitimate nicknames for my Pokémon, I would nickname my Pokémon their actual name, but without the CAPSLOCK EVERYWHERE. It just really irked me that everything was like that and I'm hoping this wasn't some sort of fluke. I'm really excited that everyone in the Pokémon world won't be yelling all the time!

Corruptodile
January 2nd, 2011, 02:50 PM
Just watched an English patch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdSFtVQ_apU&feature=related) on YouTube - apparently this isn't to be the case, although that may just be the patch itself that does that. When the game actually comes out, it might all be de-capitalised.

Haowakeorden
January 2nd, 2011, 03:05 PM
Just watched an English patch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdSFtVQ_apU&feature=related) on YouTube - apparently this isn't to be the case, although that may just be the patch itself that does that. When the game actually comes out, it might all be de-capitalised.
The people who translate/make the patch can literally do anything they want with the text. There's nothing "mechanical" that prevents this sort of de-capitalization. As far as I know that's just the choice of the people making the patch, and all the official screenshots released so far point to the official choice of de-capitalization.

Mortalis
January 2nd, 2011, 04:50 PM
Finally. I always accidentally de-capitalized my Pokemon's nicknames without thinking of how it would look. It was always like ...

"Sprout used RAZOR LEAF.
TOTODILE used WATER GUN."

It bugged me so much. Now it's going to look much cleaner and I don't have to capitalize.

GlitchCity
January 2nd, 2011, 07:49 PM
Finally! They have been doing all caps since the beginning of time. I never understood the concept of it.

Perrie ✿
January 2nd, 2011, 10:34 PM
When I read something that's been CAPS LOCKED. I always shout in my head. XD;

So it'll be nice to have my brain shouting out Pokemon names every 5 minutes or so D;

I always name mine; E.g, Bulbasaur, instead of BULBASAUR.

/LOL brain shout.

Black Ice
January 3rd, 2011, 09:41 AM
Haha. I remember making a hack of Emerald that only featured de-capitalisation. Because it bothered me that much. What surprised me was the amount of random things that were actually capitalised. Took forever to finish, but was definitely worth it.

And before that, I would nickname my Pokemon de-capitalised things. Good times.

flight
January 4th, 2011, 07:18 PM
I would rather see the Pokemon and the trainer names in lowercase than in complete caps. It doesn't seem as cluttered(well, to me) and it looks much, much neater and easier on the eyes. >>;

Dudemanscott
May 28th, 2012, 07:24 AM
The emerald hack is missing...

Forever
May 28th, 2012, 07:51 AM
The emerald hack is missing...

Yeah this is off-topic and doesn't add anything, this thread also is dead, don't revive dead threads please. :(
http://i.imgur.com/EkvQs.png