PDA

View Full Version : Question: No name change, so alts?

Massacre.
December 10th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I understand that you removed name changing, but if you make an alt, what if you register with the same email? Otherwise, are there any rules for alts?

Dixie Kong
December 10th, 2010, 11:22 AM
I don't think it would allow you to register with the same email, as that email is linked to the first account you made. And the rules for alts is essentially that you don't go around sock-puppeting, or pretending you're a different person, example being making an intro thread introducing yourself as someone completely different than your main account.

Hope this helps.

Massacre.
December 10th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I don't think it would allow you to register with the same email, as that email is linked to the first account you made. And the rules for alts is essentially that you don't go around sock-puppeting, or pretending you're a different person, example being making an intro thread introducing yourself as someone completely different than your main account.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I want to make an alt, so I'll use my MSN to use it. Close this thread, plz.

King Gumball
December 13th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Why was name changing stopped in the first place? It seemed like a good idea and all :/

Livewire
December 13th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Why was name changing stopped in the first place? It seemed like a good idea and all :/

It put far to much stress on an already stressed server, so we discontinued it awhile back.

Team Fail
December 13th, 2010, 04:55 PM

That's because it put a lot of stress on the server. Changing all the usernames that correspond to all their posts took a lot of effort for the server, and crashed it at times.

Edit: Ninja'd by the Ninja.

curiousnathan
December 13th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Because it put too muc stress on the server having to find that user's posts and changing every mention of the old name into the new one. So basically it means PC would've crashed more, and we all hate when that happens.. :<

omg; nija'd by a ninja'd nija!

.. D=

King Gumball
December 13th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Because it put too muc stress on the server having to find that user's posts and changing every mention of the old name into the new one. So basically it means PC would've crashed more, and we all hate when that happens.. :<

omg; nija'd by a ninja'd nija!

.. D=

:( Maybe there could be certain requirements to change a username and a long period before you can change it again, like maybe you get one change each year, if you have over 3000 posts or something?

bobandbill
December 13th, 2010, 05:05 PM
:( Maybe there could be certain requirements to change a username and a long period before you can change it again, like maybe you get one change each year, if you have over 3000 posts or something?Stuff like that has been suggested but the thing is even one name change has the risk of breaking the server or whatnot.

King Gumball
December 13th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Stuff like that has been suggested but the thing is even one name change has the risk of breaking the server or whatnot.

Hmm... Okay then, that sucks :/

Massacre.
December 13th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I SED CLOSE DIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! kthxbai.

King Goodra
December 13th, 2010, 07:39 PM
In CQ&F, we don't close threads upon request, usually, since more often than not some people might have something to add. We also don't answer upon demand, so please don't go demanding this thread to be closed a few posts after you request. Rather rude and discourteous to the staff, if you ask me.

Massacre.
December 14th, 2010, 02:26 PM
In CQ&F, we don't close threads upon request, usually, since more often than not some people might have something to add. We also don't answer upon demand, so please don't go demanding this thread to be closed a few posts after you request. Rather rude and discourteous to the staff, if you ask me.

I find it rude as well, although I fixed the issues, Thanks to syd, but it's kinda getting off topic. So I think the thread is dead now.

Roy-Chibi
December 15th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I think this would be a cool... idea... I gave my other account I made (without falsing any information. Everything about me is the same) to my friend, since I figured the Name change is... and never will come back... However, if the alt thing is do-able, I can show my friend the hoops of making an account of her own, so I can take my other account back... *hoping* (she's new to computers and the PC site looked cute to her, so yeah... I was just being generous that night.)

I don't want to be framed for falsfying any information that's been distributed is all, and yeah...

If I could have one name change, I'd take it... *sighs* Ah well. Such is life.

curiousnathan
December 15th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I find it rude as well, although I fixed the issues, Thanks to syd, but it's kinda getting off topic. So I think the thread is dead now.
Yes, but it's elabprating on you're problem and generating some suggestions for future solutions or alternative solutions.

Have a limit to the Name changing would be good, but like bobandbill mentioned it only takes one to break PC and for one person's need it's wipes out more than one persons pleasure/experience here for an amount of time, whether short or long. :(

Dixie Kong
December 15th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Have a limit to the Name changing would be good, but like bobandbill mentioned it only takes one to break PC and for one person's need it's wipes out more than one persons pleasure/experience here for an amount of time, whether short or long. :(

There were limits on them when we did have them. You could only have your username changed every four months. So that wouldn't make a difference really.

King Goodra
December 15th, 2010, 07:25 PM
On vBulletin, there's something called Replacement Variables. I don't see why we can't use those. It doesn't change the username, but it changes what it looks like. You know when you're on a text editor and need to change a word to something else? That's pretty much what it does, for those who don't know. Kind of like other forum software where you have a username that's static and a dynamic display name that can be changed. You always log in with your username, but your display name can be anything you'd choose. It replaces in the templates everything to something else. I don't know if that affects the server and database as much as username changes do.

King Gumball
December 15th, 2010, 07:43 PM
On vBulletin, there's something called Replacement Variables. I don't see why we can't use those. It doesn't change the username, but it changes what it looks like. You know when you're on a text editor and need to change a word to something else? That's pretty much what it does, for those who don't know. Kind of like other forum software where you have a username that's static and a dynamic display name that can be changed. You always log in with your username, but your display name can be anything you'd choose. It replaces in the templates everything to something else. I don't know if that affects the server and database as much as username changes do.

I think that is what GTS+/GPX+ uses (you only change the display name) , since I still log on with my old user name there. That would be a very good idea, maybe PC can test it out for a bit? It may work :)

King Goodra
December 20th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I think that is what GTS+/GPX+ uses (you only change the display name) , since I still log on with my old user name there. That would be a very good idea, maybe PC can test it out for a bit? It may work :)
I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it. I think if that were to happen, it should be limited and restricted the way username changes were. They can only be changed X times a year, every X months. Join date requirements, etc...

I don't think it would be too difficult, actually. Maybe just a change to the usergroup username HTML markups, maybe a template added, and a new profile field that only can be accessed by administrators. I can't see how that would really eat up the database, either. Maybe to avoid confusion, usernames can be displayed in the postbit as well as the display name.

But for some reason, I don't see this happening.

King Gumball
December 20th, 2010, 10:33 PM
I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it. I think if that were to happen, it should be limited and restricted the way username changes were. They can only be changed X times a year, every X months. Join date requirements, etc...

I don't think it would be too difficult, actually. Maybe just a change to the usergroup username HTML markups, maybe a template added, and a new profile field that only can be accessed by administrators. I can't see how that would really eat up the database, either. Maybe to avoid confusion, usernames can be displayed in the postbit as well as the display name.

Well hopefully it could happen in the future when one of the Admins is feeling bored ^.^ But definatly restrictions and x amount of times a year. Maybe every every 90 days, so a max 3 times a year, if you have over 1500 posts ?

Purple Materia
December 21st, 2010, 04:10 AM
But definitely restrictions and x amount of times a year. Maybe every every 90 days, so a max 3 times a year, if you have over 1500 posts ?
Yeah, I'm game for that idea.
Want to change my name to DivineValefor. :P

Archer
December 21st, 2010, 04:17 AM

Forgive me if I don't understand what you're suggesting, but doesn't that mean an extra query every time someone loads a page? They have to call on the variable each time, which is going to be more demanding that just relaying saved text...

Proto
December 21st, 2010, 03:20 PM

The problem with this is that usernames are displayed in a lot of different areas, not just in posts. It'd take a lot more editing to make it all show up properly and not be confusing.

Profile, most recent poster, statistics, who's online, visitor messages, albums, etc. Posts may be the biggest concern in terms of single quantity, but the sheer number of places the information would need to be "masked" is just too huge.

King Goodra
December 21st, 2010, 03:31 PM
Can't you just add a replacement variable for all the username hooks?

altariaking
December 21st, 2010, 03:53 PM
I miss username changes...I hate my username, missed the final changes, and don't want to use my Alt because it doesn't have all my posts, threads, emblems, friends list, and much more. Maybe the admins could re-enable it for a Christmas present? :D

Purple Materia
December 21st, 2010, 04:07 PM
I hate my username, missed the final changes, and don't want to use my Alt because it doesn't have all my posts, threads, emblems, friends list, and many more.
Sums up my current thoughts.

The staff probably won't enable it for a Christmas present if it could crash the servers.

Fushigidane-Chan
December 21st, 2010, 04:47 PM
Idea: isn't it possible to transfer posts, threads, friends list, infractions etc. from one account to the other? SPPf also doesn't allow name changes (and for the same reasons), but they do this as an alternative, so users can create a new account, but retain everything from their old ones.

Purple Materia
December 21st, 2010, 07:54 PM
Idea: isn't it possible to transfer posts, threads, friends list, infractions etc. from one account to the other? SPPf also doesn't allow name changes (and for the same reasons), but they do this as an alternative, so users can create a new account, but retain everything from their old ones.
Hmmm. Wouldn't transferring all of that stuff be heavier on the server than just changing the name?

Zet
December 21st, 2010, 07:58 PM
Even if the staff were to enable it as a Christmas present, it would mean that people would have to make a post saying what they what their new username to be, and when the changes happen, the forums would have to be inaccessible just to do the changes without any problems.

Poster
December 22nd, 2010, 03:00 AM
I miss username changes...I hate my username, missed the final changes, and don't want to use my Alt because it doesn't have all my posts, threads, emblems, friends list, and much more.
I started to get bored of my username, too, along with other things, and made an alt, too. This ^
You can request your Emblems to be transferred over from a staff member, which is what I'm planning to do. Friends list, you can make again. Posts is something you wouldn't worry about, unless you're going for the blog perk available at 5000 posts. Since you're the same person and you let people know that (and not that you're someone new), it's basically to be expected from others to consider you as they must. Like they did with your previous account.
That might be too much strain for no big reason, again unless if you're aiming for 5000 posts. Then again, emblems can be transferred. Infractions, I don't know, and if they can't be transferred, then isn't making alts a sort of evasive tactic? ;P

Anyway, it seems though like there's not much reason to lurk on this thread any longer. Moving on...

560cool.
December 22nd, 2010, 04:18 AM
I completely despise my username, but I almost got 2,000 posts, enough VMs, and I really want the Veteran emblem for the next years. I would do anything for a name change, but I was really stupid when the permanent change came. ):

Regeneration
December 22nd, 2010, 04:33 AM
Infractions, I don't know, and if they can't be transferred, then isn't making alts a sort of evasive tactic? ;P

I thought I'd let you guys know that infractions though may not be appearing on your new profile, but they still count towards you. The staff can always check your IP so you can't evade that. ;P

I really want the Veteran emblem for the next years.

You can get your Veteran emblem if you can prove that the old ID is yours.

Zeffy
December 22nd, 2010, 05:19 AM
If you despise your username, why did you use it to register? I mean, come on! >.<

Aquacorde
December 22nd, 2010, 05:22 AM
If you all despise your username, why did you all use it to register? I mean, come on! >.<
Because for most of us, it was chosen while we were n00bs. I'm pretty much stuck with this egotistical name that I chose when I was an anti-social ten-year-old just starting out on the internet. But like others said, I don't want to give up my join date, post count, or anything of the sort. Just the name.

Zeffy
December 22nd, 2010, 05:25 AM
Because for most of us, it was chosen while we were n00bs. I'm pretty much stuck with this egotistical name that I chose when I was an anti-social ten-year-old just starting out on the internet. But like others said, I don't want to give up my join date, post count, or anything of the sort. Just the name.
Well, I despised my username at first too. Then, time just passed by and I'm used to it. If you don't really want to lose your account, then don't. Your name doesn't tell you who you are, it's what you do that makes you who you are.

560cool.
December 22nd, 2010, 06:51 AM
If you despise your username, why did you use it to register? I mean, come on! >.<

Basically sums up what I was about to write. My change from noobness happened this summer, not in February. And I don't really want to give up my join date...
even though it's not that long ago compared to tso's, it's better than December 2010

King Gumball
December 22nd, 2010, 02:04 PM

Same with what the others said. We were still in our noob phase. And for me it was more of signing up with a name I use somewhere else, which I have now lost interest in, as well as the fact as I didn't put much thought into it as I didn't know if I was going to be hooked to this site, or just forget about it after a week. I ended up being hooked. My user name now makes me sound kind of noobish and immature. I would have liked to change it to something 'smarter' sounding (like TheSmartOne lol) .

Zeffy
December 22nd, 2010, 04:54 PM
Basically sums up what I was about to write. My change from noobness happened this summer, not in February. And I don't really want to give up my join date...
even though it's not that long ago compared to tso's, it's better than December 2010

Same with what the others said. We were still in our noob phase. And for me it was more of signing up with a name I use somewhere else, which I have now lost interest in, as well as the fact as I didn't put much thought into it as I didn't know if I was going to be hooked to this site, or just forget about it after a week. I ended up being hooked. My user name now makes me sound kind of noobish and immature. I would have liked to change it to something 'smarter' sounding (like TheSmartOne lol) .

Your names doesn't sound noobish at all. Its all in your little head.

altariaking
December 22nd, 2010, 05:04 PM
Your names doesn't sound noobish at all. Its all in your little head.

That's your opinion, however, neither are your name, so you're obviously going to have a different opinion towards it. And tbh, that sounded a little harsh, as well as your other post.
I don't like my username because I was one of the n00biest of the n00bs when I joined, I had absolutely no knowledge of anything to do with the internet at all, the day I first got my Laptop was the day I joined (Christmas last year), and my username is not capitalised, and contains the name of a Pokemon that tbh, I don't really like too much anymore. I just named myself after my best Pokemon at that time (I thought level 100 made you unbeatable -_-), and added "king" to make it sound "cool", although that completely backfired on me. I would - if all of my posts, threads, emblems and everything else were moved over - use my alt, "Flygon_", even though I hate the underscore, or if username changes were brought back I would change my username to "DarkShadowFlygon", or some other variable of Flygon.

King Goodra
December 22nd, 2010, 05:16 PM
Really, Zeffy? Really?

It's their username. Something that's used to identify with for other online users. Sure, it doesn't make who you are, but it's a name - and names are important whether you'd like to admit it or not. A name's really the only thing you can identified someone to when it comes to being online.

If someone doesn't like their username and thinks that it's noobish, who are you to say it isn't? Your definition may not be the same as theirs, and I really don't see why you're arguing against bringing username changes back in one way or another. A lot of members didn't really think their usernames through, grew up out of their usernames, or when they joined after the username changes were stopped. I'm sure some of the administrators would like to bring usernames back for the same reasons, but server strains are more of a concern.

Besides, being a former noob and growing out of it, then being stuck with a username that's so relatable to the nooby state, isn't a good thing on internet forums.

Moogles
December 22nd, 2010, 05:18 PM
I think it would be more constructive to get used to the names that aren't going to be changed, rather than complaining about it.

Sorry, it's just the truth. Yet again, I've stuck with this name everywhere I go and always love it so ^_^

Proto
December 22nd, 2010, 06:12 PM
That might be too much strain for no big reason, again unless if you're aiming for 5000 posts. Then again, emblems can be transferred. Infractions, I don't know, and if they can't be transferred, then isn't making alts a sort of evasive tactic? ;P

Anyway, it seems though like there's not much reason to lurk on this thread any longer. Moving on...
You're welcome to ask (since all staff members can give emblems) but don't expect it just because you decide to switch accounts. Mods do have other stuff to be doing than re-handing out emblems. :P

As for name changes, when we first decided to get rid of the system we talked about alternatives, ways to keep it around without straining the server, but we couldn't come up with anything.

I think one of the biggest problems is that people on PC changed their names the way they changed their avatars or signatures, it like a fashion thing. Usernames should be your identity. That said, I get that some people regret the names they've chosen and want the option to fix it, and for cases like that I'm fine with looking at alternatives to name changes. But for the people who literally counted the days until they were able to change again and changed on a whim... I don't want the hassle of it. :/ It can be confusing, it takes a lot of time for admins (those threads got riiiiiidiculous), and overall just messy blah blah blah.

So yeah, I'll brainstorm.

King Gumball
December 22nd, 2010, 06:24 PM
You're welcome to ask (since all staff members can give emblems) but don't expect it just because you decide to switch accounts. Mods do have other stuff to be doing than re-handing out emblems. :P

As for name changes, when we first decided to get rid of the system we talked about alternatives, ways to keep it around without straining the server, but we couldn't come up with anything.

I think one of the biggest problems is that people on PC changed their names the way they changed their avatars or signatures, it like a fashion thing. Usernames should be your identity. That said, I get that some people regret the names they've chosen and want the option to fix it, and for cases like that I'm fine with looking at alternatives to name changes. But for the people who literally counted the days until they were able to change again and changed on a whim... I don't want the hassle of it. :/ It can be confusing, it takes a lot of time for admins (those threads got riiiiiidiculous), and overall just messy blah blah blah.

So yeah, I'll brainstorm.

Yeah, A lot of users would change their name each time the day restriction limit is up. So if name changes do come back there should be some serious restrictions for the privilege.

So is Patchisou Yutohru's suggestion out of the question? I think it could work if we find out for GTS+ does it, as they are a very busy site, with hardly any name change restrictions (so names are being changed all the time) and it doesn't make the site seriously laggy (the adoptable section causes all the lag) . I mean it is worth a try isn't it?

Proto
December 22nd, 2010, 06:27 PM
Yeah, A lot of users would change their name each time the day restriction limit is up. So if name changes do come back there should be some serious restrictions for the privilege.

So is Patchisou Yutohru's suggestion out of the question? I think it could work if we find out for GTS+ does it, as they are a very busy site, with hardly any name change restrictions (so names are being changed all the time) and it doesn't make the site seriously laggy (the adoptable section causes all the lag) . I mean it is worth a try isn't it?
The software that powers their forums is called Invision, it has the display name feature built-in. It's possible to implement here on PC but it wouldn't do any good, it would be just as many places to update as a username--or as someone mentioned (I forget who), an extra query to each page which would be a worse idea. :P

Like I said I'll brainstorm and see if I can come up with something. I would only want to do it though if it was hugely like, sparse. If you want to change your name and plan on having it for a long time, like it's your permanent new name (unless by chance you end up hating that one a few years down the road or something). I don't want to go back to the habit of every four months have of the active members on PC have new names and you're like "huh?!"

Forever
December 22nd, 2010, 06:30 PM
Like I said I'll brainstorm and see if I can come up with something. I would only want to do it though if it was hugely like, sparse. If you want to change your name and plan on having it for a long time, like it's your permanent new name (unless by chance you end up hating that one a few years down the road or something). I don't want to go back to the habit of every four months have of the active members on PC have new names and you're like "huh?!"

If something similar can be put in place, change it to every two years to request a new username, or every one year, four months was too soon anyway.

Proto
December 22nd, 2010, 06:43 PM
I would be fine with a yearly thing.

I was thinking we could allow account "transfers," we'd set up a request thread like the username change one. Basically we'd have the member register a new account and we'd go through and transfer all the information over--we'd edit the new account's postcount, join date, reissue emblems, reassign permissions (if they're a supporter, etc.), so on so forth. The physical stuff wouldn't actually be transferred (posts and VMs and friends and stuff), but I could set it up so that a link to the old account is permanently fixed to the profile.

It could work. I dunno. I'll bring it up with the other h-staff and see what they think.

King Goodra
December 22nd, 2010, 06:47 PM
I would actually love that idea. Though, this is probably an h-hstaff kind of thing.

Dixie Kong
December 22nd, 2010, 06:52 PM
I was thinking we could allow account "transfers," we'd set up a request thread like the username change one. Basically we'd have the member register a new account and we'd go through and transfer all the information over--we'd edit the new account's postcount, join date, reissue emblems, reassign permissions (if they're a supporter, etc.), so on so forth. The physical stuff wouldn't actually be transferred (posts and VMs and friends and stuff), but I could set it up so that a link to the old account is permanently fixed to the profile.

Just wanna throw in my two cents about that, but I was an assistant admin on a forum about two years ago, and the forum kinda...blew up, so to speak. When it was restored, everyone had to re-register and us admins had to transfer all the info from the previous accounts, and it worked very well, I think. So I am all for this idea.

Proto
December 22nd, 2010, 06:56 PM
It'd be a bit more hassle than name changes but if it's an AA responsibility and it's done yearly I don't think it'd be too much of a problem...

Guy
December 22nd, 2010, 06:59 PM
I knew that when I changed my user name before, it was because I grew bored of the current user name I had or because I thought up a new creative name I wanted to use. At the same time, with the option of changing my user name being there, I took use of it even though I might not have needed to some times, but I always found a better name I had liked more each time my wait limit was up, and I thought it was less "noobish" than the one before. I guess that goes in the middle of changing your name for the right reasons and wrong reasons.

Point being though, your user name is only as noobish as you make it out to be. A person shouldn't have to judge you by your user name. It's like someone judging you for who you are as a person because of you real name; it doesn't make sense. They can only see you for what you put in that box of words you post up.

I can still see where people feel less likeness towards the user name they chose after awhile though. I've been there and done that many times in the past. It's human nature that we choose something from a start, but as we grow we also grow weary of it and feel the need for change. So, if you really want to have a new name change and your only alternative is to go with a new account, think about it first. And if you're really wanting that change, then go for it. Don't worry about your post count, because that's just a number and you can always catch up to it again. Infractions, staff will know who you are and your past by a simple IP check. Emblems can always be transferred to your new account if you kindly ask a member of the staff who has the available time to do it. Just don't pretend to be someone new, let your friends know who you are (or even let them know you're making an account switch beforehand) so they don't lose contact with you.

...and now the latter of this means nothing with Audy's recent post. XD Just saying, I would love the transfer idea to be implemented. If it's a PAD issue, and it passes, please have my Join Date changed to Sept. 2008; my original join date. :]

kthxbai

King Gumball
December 22nd, 2010, 07:28 PM
Don't worry about your post count, because that's just a number and you can always catch up to it again. Infractions, staff will know who you are and your past by a simple IP check. Emblems can always be transferred to your new account if you kindly ask a member of the staff who has the available time to do it. Just don't pretend to be someone new, let your friends know who you are (or even let them know you're making an account switch beforehand) so they don't lose contact with you.

I know post count is only a number, but it would be good if your account is transferred that your original post count is transferred over too. Number or not to some it is one of those tiny things that you like to keep track of. I want to someday reach Forever and Lightning's amount of posts, so restarting the post count would be pretty inconvenient. To me, having my post count is a way of showing my service/dedication to PC (might sound ridiculous but it is true XD ) and I would hate to start from 0 again.

That transfer idea sounds like a pretty good alternate BTW. And having a link to your old account in your profile makes it almost as good as a name change. This method however may also prevent users from changing their names like crazy, as it would create too many links and work for Admins to keep transferring [not that I know the level of work required, just saying]. So once a year minimum sounds great!

Proto
December 22nd, 2010, 07:37 PM
His comment about postcount was before he read the transfer idea, King Gumball, don't worry. :] If this gets implemented everything would be moved, including post count.

That said, I just posted a thread about this in one of the adminy forums, so we'll see what happens.

King Gumball
December 22nd, 2010, 07:43 PM
His comment about postcount was before he read the transfer idea, King Gumball, don't worry. :] If this gets implemented everything would be moved, including post count.

That said, I just posted a thread about this in one of the adminy forums, so we'll see what happens.

Ahh okay, my bad then. At least you all know what I think of post count then :pink_laugh:

I really hope the Admins approve of this *crosses fingers*~

December 22nd, 2010, 07:51 PM
I agree that the concept of alts suck, because then you're starting over again, without any recognition.

I at least want the opportunity to close an old account and transfer everything over to a new account, like post count, emblems, etc.

King Goodra
December 22nd, 2010, 08:11 PM
By close, what do you mean? Have it deleted?

December 22nd, 2010, 08:13 PM
Sorta. Leave all the posts, but make it inactive, kinda like getting booted out.

Forever
December 22nd, 2010, 10:49 PM
I like this idea, but the only issue would be userids, a lot of members really like their userids (for example someone with the userid 20 as opposed to 121212) and losing that to change username would kinda suck.

UNLESS! ...we could keep our original userids and us with account merges in the past (for example, Drew, and then there's Jake who wants his original id back) could get our first ids back? :333;

...or if not the idea sounds totally fine. :D

Proto
December 22nd, 2010, 10:51 PM
User IDs aren't something feasibly changeable, and merging accounts is worse than changing usernames. XD;

560cool.
December 23rd, 2010, 12:42 AM
Well, how about a single name change to be able to at least take out the numbers and the word "cool" from my username. Wait, that's my whole username...
I'm sorry if somebody else said this, but I saw the yearly idea, so I thought to be at least given a single change to switch out. It wouldn't cause the day counting, so there isn't anything to worry about.
Eh ? (:

Poster
December 23rd, 2010, 01:54 AM
I'm also up for the yearly thing. However, I don't consider making an alt just for the purpose of username, there's more to that (on my case). So I'm sticking up with this one D:

Sansa Stark
December 23rd, 2010, 01:58 AM
Well, how about a single name change to be able to at least take out the numbers and the word "cool" from my username. Wait, that's my whole username...
I'm sorry if somebody else said this, but I saw the yearly idea, so I thought to be at least given a single change to switch out. It wouldn't cause the day counting, so there isn't anything to worry about.
Eh ? (:
Again, it'd cause a lot of stress on the server. You're looking at a LOT of downtime here. However, if we ever had pruning . . .

King Goodra
December 23rd, 2010, 02:09 AM
I'm just putting it out there, but I don't see much wrong with offering a username change once a year for everyone at the same time. One or two days of downtime doesn't seem like too much to deal with compared to the amount of users who would love for a chance to change their username.

Zeffy
December 23rd, 2010, 02:11 AM
I'm sorry if I sounded harsh earlier, but its just that it kinda seemed rubbish seeing all you argue with your username being suckish. I wish there'd be someway to change my name as well, all I can think of is like a price if you won something in PC? But that'd probably take time and is probably not a good idea at all, but still it'd be kind of good if the person who gets a name change earns it.

Forever
December 23rd, 2010, 02:17 AM
I'm just putting it out there, but I don't see much wrong with offering a username change once a year for everyone at the same time. One or two days of downtime doesn't seem like too much to deal with compared to the amount of users who would love for a chance to change their username.

I don't see why there should be downtime, tbh.

What if someone's PC anniversary is then and they want to get on, what if an important event is on in a section, what if important information is announced for something - aka B/W for example - release date and people really want to discuss it? I don't like the idea of downtime that isn't due to dbe's, etc, unless it was downtime to IMPROVE the forum aka make it work faster or something like that. I just see too many issues with picking a day for full downtime.

I think we should leave downtime to when there are server issues or otherwise. :x

Account transfers sounds muuuuch better without the hassle.

Captain Fabio
December 23rd, 2010, 02:40 AM

For some reason, I have a feeling that this will put more strain on the server.

My stance on the username changing policy is I don't care! XD Simple enough.
You signed up with a username and you stick with that username. Yes, you do change as a person if you have been here for long enough. Mine has been changed twice, but I don't care if it stayed as my original.
Not that many forums allow username changes like PC use to, so I am not surprised that it has put so much strain on the servers.

As for having an alt, I have one, but I haven't logged into it for a long time and it was only to save my name back when name changes were allowed. I don't really see the point in them. I know that is a bit ironic since I have one, but I don't really use it.

If you don't like your name, then I guess if it bothers you so much, just move completely to another account and start over. If you don't want to start over, then I guess you are stuck.

King Gumball
December 23rd, 2010, 03:27 AM
For some reason, I have a feeling that this will put more strain on the server.

My stance on the username changing policy is I don't care! XD Simple enough.
You signed up with a username and you stick with that username. Yes, you do change as a person if you have been here for long enough. Mine has been changed twice, but I don't care if it stayed as my original.
Not that many forums allow username changes like PC use to, so I am not surprised that it has put so much strain on the servers.

As for having an alt, I have one, but I haven't logged into it for a long time and it was only to save my name back when name changes were allowed. I don't really see the point in them. I know that is a bit ironic since I have one, but I don't really use it.

If you don't like your name, then I guess if it bothers you so much, just move completely to another account and start over. If you don't want to start over, then I guess you are stuck.

But how will that put more strain on the server? The suggestion is that all your info is to just be moved to your new account. It isn't like your username is changing on every post, album, thread, PM, VM, Blog etc. I don't see how that could strain the server :/ New people join every day with new information added, this will be very similar I guess. And we will be moving to a new account too. Just our old info will be moved across as well.

Guy
December 23rd, 2010, 05:11 AM
I don't see why there should be downtime, tbh.

What if someone's PC anniversary is then and they want to get on, what if an important event is on in a section, what if important information is announced for something - aka B/W for example - release date and people really want to discuss it? I don't like the idea of downtime that isn't due to dbe's, etc, unless it was downtime to IMPROVE the forum aka make it work faster or something like that. I just see too many issues with picking a day for full downtime.

I think we should leave downtime to when there are server issues or otherwise. :x

The once-a-year name change system idea has popped into my head a few times before. I always thought it was a good idea, even for the price of PC being down for a couple of days, but I know the admins wouldn't pass for it. 'Tis why the "transfer" idea seems like the next best thing where it can please anyone who decides to make a switch for a new user name.

However, PC anniversaries events, all those sorts of things are pretty minor if you ask me. I mean, even if you miss one anniversary, it's not going to kill you; you will survive. Not to mention that PC anniversaries aren't even as popular as they used to be anyway. As far as events go, for those who host them can always extend the time frame due to down time. Aaaand, I'm pretty sure admins wouldn't decide to take PC down right around the time of big news release such as B&W release.

Honestly, choosing at least two days for downtime wouldn't be that hard. It was easily chosen for this year in February and it worked out just fine. Like I said though, the admins probably wouldn't pass for this idea, but things like someone's anniversary or a forum event that could be extended in time wouldn't stop them from doing it.

Forever
December 23rd, 2010, 05:20 AM
The once-a-year name change system idea has popped into my head a few times before. I always thought it was a good idea, even for the price of PC being down for a couple of days, but I know the admins wouldn't pass for it. 'Tis why the "transfer" idea seems like the next best thing where it can please anyone who decides to make a switch for a new user name.

However, PC anniversaries events, all those sorts of things are pretty minor if you ask me. I mean, even if you miss one anniversary, it's not going to kill you; you will survive. Not to mention that PC anniversaries aren't even as popular as they used to be anyway. As far as events go, for those who host them can always extend the time frame due to down time. Aaaand, I'm pretty sure admins wouldn't decide to take PC down right around the time of big news release such as B&W release.

Honestly, choosing at least two days for downtime wouldn't be that hard. It was easily chosen for this year in February and it worked out just fine. Like I said though, the admins probably wouldn't pass for this idea, but things like someone's anniversary or a forum event that could be extended in time wouldn't stop them from doing it.

Despite that, I still don't think it's a good idea. Account transfers would work just as well, and those things ARE important to some people (people have their own reasons to be on), plus as I mentioned, we should be concentrating on things to improve PC, or downtimes that we can't help. Do we really want to create more downtime for PC? Because really, if the downtime issue wasn't that bad, then name changes would still occur. The fact that one name change hurts PC should be reason enough. Allowing one whole day, or two, to do it, could eventually be harmful to PC and could prove to be a longer downtime, or even worse, something else could go wrong and PC could have future issues. I don't think we should be playing with fire here and instead go with something like account transfers which aren't likely to hurt PC.

King Goodra
December 23rd, 2010, 05:29 AM
Despite that, I still don't think it's a good idea. Account transfers would work just as well, and those things ARE important to some people (people have their own reasons to be on), plus as I mentioned, we should be concentrating on things to improve PC, or downtimes that we can't help. Do we really want to create more downtime for PC? Because really, if the downtime issue wasn't that bad, then name changes would still occur. The fact that one name change hurts PC should be reason enough. Allowing one whole day, or two, to do it, could eventually be harmful to PC and could prove to be a longer downtime, or even worse, something else could go wrong and PC could have future issues. I don't think we should be playing with fire here and instead go with something like account transfers which aren't likely to hurt PC.
Nobody's saying that account transfers wouldn't work.

But really, one or two days of downtime isn't that long. One or two days of downtime isn't that much out of 365. It isn't like it'll take a month to do it. Just a day or two - maybe even less. Even though admins had already discussed everything they could do to eventually lead to their decision, I'm still not exactly sold. Yes, usernames are a minor thing compared to other things, but if the majority of users would like a username change, I really don't see what the big deal is with setting aside one day to handle them. Besides, it isn't like if this happened admins would suddenly post "lol btw guys, no pc for tomorrow!!!! n___n" No. It'd probably be a month or so in advanced. That's what it was last time.

I think you're misunderstanding how the server could be hurt. It isn't like you can spend an entire day doing all this, and then a problem comes up do to it with the server a week later. It's only going to affect it while it's happening. I don't see how it would eventually be harmful to PC. It worked once, what makes you so keen on it being potentially disastrous this time around?

Forever
December 23rd, 2010, 05:39 AM
Nobody's saying that account transfers wouldn't work.

But really, one or two days of downtime isn't that long. One or two days of downtime isn't that much out of 365. It isn't like it'll take a month to do it. Just a day or two - maybe even less. Even though admins had already discussed everything they could do to eventually lead to their decision, I'm still not exactly sold. Yes, usernames are a minor thing compared to other things, but if the majority of users would like a username change, I really don't see what the big deal is with setting aside one day to handle them. Besides, it isn't like if this happened admins would suddenly post "lol btw guys, no pc for tomorrow!!!! n___n" No. It'd probably be a month or so in advanced. That's what it was last time.

I think you're misunderstanding how the server could be hurt. It isn't like you can spend an entire day doing all this, and then a problem comes up do to it with the server a week later. It's only going to affect it while it's happening. I don't see how it would eventually be harmful to PC. It worked once, what makes you so keen on it being potentially disastrous this time around?

Well if you two really think it'll work and won't hurt PC, then go ahead, though I don't think it'll have positive consequences down the line. D: Otherwise, why else WERE name changes stopped? If it only caused downtime for a little while, then why stop it and instead just deal with the short term consequences of PC being slow? If it's set at once a year it'll eventually be brought down to four months again, like how it went from 6 months to four months.

...And still, are people in different usergroups going to be able to change their usernames sooner? Like reduce supporters to 6 months instead of a year? I just... don't see this going well, that's all.

Kip
December 23rd, 2010, 06:57 AM
My thoughts: We need a system that makes people think about name changes, doesn't put strain on the servers, reduces the workload for admins and doesn't become a 'fashion'.

Well, how about we do this the way Facebook does it? Facebook has put a limit on the total amount of username changes you're allowed. That way you only change it if you're really sure, because once you change it you can't change it again.

So how about this: You can only change your username once (maybe twice). That way, users will be able to get rid of their crappy n00bish name (we've all done it - mine was Sam.UK2005 for ages and I grew to hate it) but also think very carefully about what they want to change it to. That way, it's less likely they would want to change it again.

PC was quite unique in offering username changes - I haven't known any other VB-based forum to do it (if there are then there are very few). I reckon it's good if we just limit to one change per user, it may solve a lot of issues.

Miss Doronjo
December 23rd, 2010, 08:03 AM
My thoughts: We need a system that makes people think about name changes, doesn't put strain on the servers, reduces the workload for admins and doesn't become a 'fashion'.

Well, how about we do this the way Facebook does it? Facebook has put a limit on the total amount of username changes you're allowed. That way you only change it if you're really sure, because once you change it you can't change it again.

So how about this: You can only change your username once (maybe twice). That way, users will be able to get rid of their crappy n00bish name (we've all done it - mine was Sam.UK2005 for ages and I grew to hate it) but also think very carefully about what they want to change it to. That way, it's less likely they would want to change it again.

PC was quite unique in offering username changes - I haven't known any other VB-based forum to do it (if there are then there are very few). I reckon it's good if we just limit to one change per user, it may solve a lot of issues.

I would think that people would think very carefully in their name change anyway, if hypothetically speaking, the suggestion above was approved. Like say, if your username was "N" and you want to change it to "P". You won't be able to change it again for another year.

560cool.
December 23rd, 2010, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I kinda agree with Kip and Miss Doronjo. I know a lot of people on FB who had no idea of the limiting in name-changes, and they're stuck with stupid names like Bond 007. It really sucks for them, not to mention how nobody knows who they are.

Kinda the same as PC, but change the identity issue to the noobish one.

HeyMikey
December 23rd, 2010, 10:30 AM
I thought I'd just throw this out there;

Somehow, Smogon's forums which are also run on vBulletin have incorporated into the User CP an area which allows self-service name changes one time only (I think it used to be two times, but that was reduced). Smogon is a pretty big forum too, but they don't seem to have problems with lag or downtime when people change their names with this feature. Would something like this be possible for PC? I don't really see how it would effect here any differently to Smogon since as far as I know, they are both similarly sized forums.

560cool.
December 23rd, 2010, 11:17 AM
I don't have a Smogon account, so I don't know how that would work, but I like the idea.
Instead of a person to manually change a name, how about making some sort of server operation ? Like when you click it, the whole server does the name-change.
I'm not sure how much server strain would that cause, but it still sounds alright...

Went
December 23rd, 2010, 01:46 PM
It would be virtually the same except it wouldn't be an admin doing it, but each individual person instead. The process would stay the same.

And if the database can be potentially harmed, I think the best thing to do is look for other solutions that don't require touching it at all. Okay, we played with fire once and we didn't get burnt, we just had to rest our hands for a couple of days... what if something does go wrong next time? I don't care whether we do it once a year, or if every member is allowed one name change during their forum life. The risk is there regardless. And if all of us were to have a name change, then it would be 200k name changes. Not a small number, isn't it?

Moving all the info from account a to account b gets the same job done and isn't potentially harmful. I can't see the downside.

King Gumball
December 23rd, 2010, 04:36 PM
I kinda agree with both arguments between Hiiro /Patchisou and Forever... Forever has a strong point about special events, but then again only 1 or 2 days is very short, and even if your B'day was on PC at that time, I think you would have some forewarning before hand so maybe you can have an early B'Day here.

And I don't want PC to be damaged, because in the days where everyone can change their name, I am sure there will be about 80k+ users taking advantage of the name change and changing their names while they can. So I have no idea what the risks may be, but there would certainly be some even if they are very slight.

But also if the transfer option falls into action, then I change my name say three times over three years, I don't want my account transferred three times and only have links to all my old posts in my old accounts.

So IDK, I am fine with account transfers but a set couple of days for name changes sounds really tempting too, although I would feel a little uneasy with what it may possibly do to PC down the road (especially since PC is still growing) Maybe we should test out the set name change days in the very near future and see what happens, and if it causes problems resort to the transfer method... (if we do test the name change method again then sooner is better, before this site grows too much)

Purple Materia
December 23rd, 2010, 06:56 PM
Personally, I like the idea of allowing PC a day or two to complete the name changes. I'm sure everyone could fire up their DS/Wii and entertain themselves for a day. If it's happened before without any problems, then why won't it work now?

Melody
December 24th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I'm not sold on the entire "transfer" idea personally.

How about instead of doing Yearly cycles of name changes, and allowing one per year on a certain date, that we do it SLOWLY. For instance, Steve does backups every so often correct? During these 'backups' PC tends to be down/slow anyways, so perhaps allowing a task to run to change the names after backing up would work. Backup -> Change names in bulk -> Restore/repair backup if database failed.

It'd be something like this:
User requests name change and gets stuck on Name Change Queue. Basically it's a waiting list and you can change the name you've requested a time or two, while you're waiting, but once it's changed, you're stuck with that name for the usual time period. The thing is that the name changes be spaced out during PC maintenance cycles, when the forum would be down/slow anyways. Naturally being on a waiting list would mean that your name won't change immediately, it only gets changed when they get to it on the list. This would really discourage people from just getting capricious name changes...and kinda make you think about it while you wait.

We could easily set up some sort of request plug-in for the User CP that lets you make your request, view/modify/cancel your pending request, tell you where in the queue you are and when the next maintenance cycle occurs. Cycles can occur as frequently or as rarely as Staff sees fit, to handle the volume of name changes and balance the stress and load on the server. During this time, the board can be switched off, preferably during an off-peak hour of traffic so that name changes can be done in bulk. Then when the name is changed, the plug-in detects that and erases the name from the list.

The plugin itself could possibly be able to store a name change request at any time and only put you on the official queue if it's been 4/6 months or a year since your last name change. (Depending on what time length the staff decides is appropriate). This way if you WANT a name, you can request it early and get the username first...if you requested it first. Requested usernames could easily be placed on the list of names you can't register until the admins can change the name once your request lands on the official queue, and restrictions can be placed so that, once you're on the queue and are scheduled to have your name changed on the next downtime cycle, you can't change your requested new name.