PDA

View Full Version : New Problem: Max PM's being bypassed. o.O

Team Fail
December 11th, 2010, 02:30 PM
This happened a while back, but a member sent me a PM and they had a proxy. Something went wrong somewheres and it cloned it. Many, many times.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6637&pictureid=49206
How could have this happened?

EDIT: Keep in mind that I am only allowed 150 PM's at one time.

Platinum Lucario
December 12th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Oh wow. Even though I may have never ever had this problem happen to me before. I would just imagine how something like that would usually occur. I guess proxy servers really do cause some problems such as duplicating stuff on the forum, this might also be the reason why some people have their posts double just by a single click of the "post" button.

I'm not sure, but was that member a spambot? Or was it a friend of yours? I think there was a thread in the Community Announcements forum explaining that spambots were sending advertising PMs towards random users. So yeah.

Forever
December 12th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Sure it wasn't me, cause in the past I accidentally sent over 100 PMs to two users when using a proxy when I couldn't access PC. lol.

Anyway, the only way it can be done as a whole is if a staff member does it, because we can send PMs to people past their max PM inbox and we don't have the 45/60 second rules either (otherwise it'll take hours). As mentioned, proxies (which I discovered) just multiply the messages until your own PM box max fills up. That's one positive of the second rules between sending PMs. XD;

Perrie ✿
December 12th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Sure it wasn't me, cause in the past I accidentally sent over 100 PMs to two users when using a proxy when I couldn't access PC. lol.

Anyway, the only way it can be done as a whole is if a staff member does it, because we can send PMs to people past their max PM inbox and we don't have the 45/60 second rules either (otherwise it'll take hours). As mentioned, proxies (which I discovered) just multiply the messages until your own PM box max fills up. That's one positive of the second rules between sending PMs. XD;

Actually it was more that 100 :0 I had over 550 in mine -.- Thanks! :D

Once the messages stop coming in just delete em' all.

Team Fail
December 12th, 2010, 08:24 AM

It's ok... We're all human. I'm not mad at you. :D

I'm not pointing fingers, but there should be some script that deletes cloned messages so that the likelihood of this happening goes away. In fact, any member can do this. If user A has 149 PMs, then Proxy user member B has this happen to them, they would have 150 new messages, resulting in 299 messages in their inbox. This also jammed up my email inbox, because of the email notification system, plus all the various email warnings that the system gives.