View Full Version : Is media a part of your culture?

December 13th, 2010, 9:08 AM
We all say "music is my life", but how much of your life actually relates to it? The question I pose is; Is media a part of your culture? How much of your daily life is taken up by either movies, music, books, fashion, printed media such as newspapers and the likes?

So tell me, how does (the) media affect your culture?

Captain Fabio
December 13th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Interesting question my friend :3

Well. I can't leave the house without my iPod. I will go back if I forget it if I am going somewhere other than the shops.
I watch films nearly every night, even if it is just on in the background. I have a big selection of books as well, which I do read.

As for affection my culture, films are a big part of the UK industry, not as big as American film, but we are well known for our British films at times.
Books aren't that big for some people as it should be I guess, there are more adverts about films and games than books, from what I see anyway.

Media is a big part of the UK culture. Without media, a lot of things wouldn't exist or be as popular.

Gold warehouse
December 13th, 2010, 1:53 PM
It's funny how the media has seemed to shape our culture so much this past century. I don't think anyone can say that it isn't a part of their life in some way.

I think it is a part of my life in that it's helped shape me as a person. Fiction portrays ideas, and once those ideas are in my head they develop, I build upon them, they're the roots for my own personality. When I was young, I would read all the time, and I think the media is what is mostly responsible for shaping my personality throughout those years. As I got older I got into music, again, lyrics give out ideas, music evokes emotion and whilst the impact wasn't as big as I think it was with books, it was still very noticeable. I'm pretty confident I wouldn't be the same person without any of it.

Now I'm capable of independent thought, so I can choose what to take to heart and what to disregard, or I use it as a guide for my own thoughts and ideas. I still enjoy losing my mind in fiction, and I'd still say it has some sort of an impact on me, but not as much as it did when I was an impressionable child.

All forms of media have the power to change the world, and they have done. It affects everyone either directly or indirectly, whether they know/admit it or not.

Although despite the tl;dr about how huge of an impact it has made, my life doesn't revolve around the media that much. At least, not as much as it does with others. I watch films occasionally; I listen to music often, but it's rare for me to find an album that really has a big impact on me; I don't read much any more either, simply because I have trouble finding something with a brand new idea that can really keep me engaged.

As for fashion, magazines and newspaper etc. I've never had any interest in it.

December 13th, 2010, 3:26 PM
Hmm. Right well, like Fabio, I can't leave the house without my iPhone, even if it does seem a lil anti-social, I always listen to music in the car or if I am out a walk/exercising. It motivates me. :3 Music has become a large part of my life, the most cheerful songs can make me happy with the blink of an eye, and the saddest songs can make me feel extremely down in the dumps (which is why I rarely listen to any sad songs XD), but it just shows how music has a very large effect on my emotions to a certain extent. ~ Another thing is concerts... I go to what seems like a lot of them every year, haha.

Movies don't take up much of my day, I usually go once every few weeks when a film catches my eye on the advertisements.

Books... don't read much. I just don't have... the paitence to read, really. XD; If I start to read a book, I only read a few chapters then get bored, haha. XDD

FASHION OMG. <3 I love looking into the latest fashions and trends. Keeps me busy. c:

Newspapers I don't read much unless I am EXTREMELY bored, lol. Sometimes what the papers say can be a lie, too. :c

To sum it all up, I can say media is a large part of our culture. I... really don't know how to word it, or what else I can say haha. I'm not even sure this is exactly what you're asking here, I think I answered wrong. XD;

December 13th, 2010, 8:08 PM
For most of the time that I'm awake I'll be engaged in some kind of media one way or another. I might be reading or watching a movie or listening to music, but most likely I'll have some form of message entering my brain and lodging itself somewhere in there. Do I actively think about all this? No, not really. It's so commonplace for me that I often don't notice that so much of my time is spent absorbing information from various media outlets. If I thought about it too much I might start to worry that not enough of my thinking is genuinely my own.

As for culture, I think media and The Media give voice to things that people think and feel, but can't always express clearly. That's probably why you get big trends in fashion, books, and so on since culture tends to follow trends. Maybe we would be more heterogeneous without so many media and those of us able to voice our thoughts would do so in more distinct ways, uninfluenced by media which has a tendency to smooth out a lot of the finer, individualistic aspects of our expressions. But maybe not. It might just as easily give us a platform from which to build new ideas. Who knows.

December 13th, 2010, 8:54 PM
Like Fabio, I don't leave home without an iPod. I also watch movies in theaters on occasion. So yes, media is part of my lifestyle.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
December 15th, 2010, 4:41 AM
Music plays a fairly big role in my life - I usually have something playing in the background most of the time. But TV, movies, and literature don't impact my lifestyle as much... there's only a few TV shows I absolutely must watch and I rarely get out to see movies.

Headfirst For Halos
December 15th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I am glad media exists, because my seemingly unpopular opinions that I've expressed a few times on this board seem to be held by other people.

Yes, I am one of those "shut out the world by listening to my iPod in the car" type of person as well. I also love fashion. High fashion, gothic, 80s, electroclash... you name it, I love it. There's no such thing as anti-fashion, like some people claim. Where would grunge be without flannel shirts or punk without mohawks?

TBH, I think the whole "music is my life" thing is silly unless you work in the music industry/do something related to music. It just seems overused in a personally annoying way.

December 15th, 2010, 1:14 PM
I am glad media exists,any kinds, and it is part of my lifestyle.

I like to listen to music, and sad music makes you sad and happy music makes you happy, etc. So I guess media has an impact on people. I like to listen to music mostly around Christmas time. I like to "shut out the world by listening to my iPod" as well.^

As for movies, I watch commonly watch them with my family while eating supper. Besides that not much more.

Fashion, I care nothing about. How I look is how I am, and I don't care what I wear most of the time, I just take out any shirt I feel like wearing.

Books, I read a ton at school with my free time, and a lot at home to. So I like them and they take up my time.

magazines, only read them while in the bathroom. XD

Media, is a big part of our culture, People do media things, I completely worded that wrong XD how to word it hmm XD and so it is important.

December 23rd, 2010, 7:13 AM
Music is my creative medium. Music is my passion and Music is my future. thasrigh.

December 28th, 2010, 9:56 AM
Music is rather important for me. Because if I did not listen to my type of music I like for at least a day, I may go rather mad and crazy. I always bring my iPod around, even I had to listen before sleeping.

January 1st, 2011, 12:09 PM
Media is only a chunk of New Mexico's culture, most of it related to other things such as architecture and sports. I do bring my iPod and my phone everywhere with me, like some of you have already said. As for concerts, I do go to a few, but not too often, as the only concert halls are in downtown ABQ. Movie halls are relatively common, found in 2 out of 3 malls in my city, ABQ. But moves and concerts here almost never sold out, which is a good, and bad thing.

So yeah, that's all I have to say here.

January 1st, 2011, 4:21 PM
I'm a huge bookworm. I'm terribly picky about the books I read but when I do find one I like I can get engrossed for hours, usually finished in a couple of days. [I got about a third of the way through "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" on the night it came out.] n_n *big HP nerd*
Music is also a big part of my life, but I listen to bands for their music not their image or because they fit a genre. I mean, I have Lostprophets, Busted, Leona Lewis, Bananarama and Avenged Sevenfold on my iPod to name a few.... random mixture or what? :L

Movies I'm not so influenced by, I mainly watch them for fun, or to just relax and forget my troubles.

Magazines... I don't mind some but the whole airbrushing images of people to make them look "perfect" and the obsession with the lives of celebrities kind of bothers me [to name a few of the issues I have with them]. The entire magazine sector of the media just bothers me incredibly for no reason.

TV... there's rarely any shows I actually watch regularly, I prefer TV shows without any complicated storylines to follow, I prefer ones that deal with a different story in each episode and you can watch an episode in the middle of a season and not be like "WTF is going on?" I guess an example of a show like this for me would be Scrubs.